Congressmen can’t say “Merry Christmas” in mail

posted at 3:25 pm on December 16, 2011 by Tina Korbe

What next? The folks in charge of franking congressional mail refuse to allow our elected representatives to wish us a merry Christmas. Lest you vainly hope, as I did at first, that this is a noble attempt to demonstrate fiscal restraint, let me disabuse you of that idea. At first glance, the rules appear merely to ban holiday greetings when those greetings are “the primary purpose of the communication.” That makes sense. I don’t want my Congressman to use my tax dollars to send out his family’s Christmas letter. But, as it turns out, not even incidental use of the phrase “Merry Christmas” is permissible. “Happy Holidays,” however, is. The Washington Examiner’s Mark Tapscott summarizes nicely:

A franking commission spokesman confirmed to The Washington Examiner that Members of Congress indeed cannot wish constituents “Merry Christmas” in any official mailing.

“Currently, incidental use of the phrase Happy Holidays is permissible but Merry Christmas is not,” said Salley Wood.

So it’s true, the elected representatives of the nation that puts “In God We Trust” on its currency are not permitted to use the greeting that has likely been uttered by every living adult American at least once in their lifetimes.

Just another demonstration that political correctness and freedom of speech, faith and thought are utterly incompatible.

An unrelated by related thought for both the PC police and that particular brand of atheist who finds public Nativity displays offensive: Freedom from religion isn’t really possible. Why? Let’s think about it for a moment. What is religion, really, but an attempt to grapple with certain inescapable, inevitable, unavoidable, pesky, problematic questions that plague all of us at one time or another? Questions like: Who am I? Why am I here? What is the meaning of life? And, above all: What happens when we die? Adults sometimes like to toss these questions aside as adolescent incoherence, but they’re not adolescent, even if they are elementary. Not everybody accepts divine revelation, but everybody has a suspicion of an answer to these questions. Let’s work with the last one, as that’s inexplicably the simplest. What happens when we die? Few of us can speak from experience. But, in general, people believe one of two things about it. Either we enter a different kind of existence or we simply cease to exist. Either of those beliefs is the foundation for an eschatology of sorts. Which eschatology you choose, in turn, informs your soteriology. If you believe in existence after death, you will likely seek some kind of eternal salvation — a happy otherworldly existence, in other words — and that will likely require some kind of savior. If you don’t, you’ll look for some kind of salvation here on earth (progress, perhaps, or utopia). Your eschatology and soteriology will inform your morality … and so on and so forth until you have adopted for yourself some kind of rudimentary religion. It might not be the right one — it might not be true — but it’s a religion, nevertheless. It’s no good to seek to avoid every reminder of the questions you don’t want to ask yourself. They’re inside of you, waiting to ambush when a loved one dies or when a child is born or when you lose a job or gain one. The only mature way to grapple with them is to embrace them, to follow where they lead. Those people seeking freedom from religion would be surprised at the freedom they’d find if they would.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“But, as it turns out, not even incidental use of the phrase “Merry Christmas” is permissible. “Happy Holidays,” “Feliz Navidad” however, is.”

Fixed it for ‘ya Tina…

Seven Percent Solution on December 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM

marinconservative on December 16, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Went to the local Safeway to shop and dropped a few dollars into the Salvation Army kettle. The person wished us a happy holiday. We politely responded back with Merry Christmas. The gal was a bit shell shocked so we again said Merry Christmas and finally got a Merry Christmas back from her.

When the highest ethic is the “right to not be offended” then our culture is surely lost.

chemman on December 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM

How about this:

United States Constitution, Article I, Section 5: Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member.

The congressional franking commission (aka “Commission on Congressional Mailing Standards”) is made up of six members of Congress that regulate the usage of the franking privilege.

theodore on December 16, 2011 at 4:14 PM

That’s pretty pathetic. The First Amendment to the Constitution says, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” That trumps the right of Congress to “determine the Rules of its Proceedings,” which has nothing to do with sending mailers in the first place

I’d say prohibiting anyone from wishing “Merry Christmas” counts as interfering with the free exercise of religion. There’s only one way to get around that fact, and that’s to argue that wishing “Merry Christmas” is not in fact religious at all. In which case, why exactly do they object?

Maybe you should reconsider your chosen hobby as a troll. You’re not very good at it.

There Goes The Neighborhood on December 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I AM REALLY REALLY SICK OF THIS CRAP!!!! What is congress taking “a Holiday Break!”!!!! Jesus is The Reason For The Season!!!

lisa fox on December 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Here is the federal law enshrining Christmas as a federal holiday. Until that law is repealed or overturned, it’s ridiculous to ban the phrase “Merry Christmas.” Sheesh!

JustTruth101 on December 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Oh. By the way, the “Happy Holiday” they find acceptable; it’s Christmas !!
Dolts.

Jabberwock on December 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Christmas vacations are exhausting.

Axe on December 16, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I feel you. Everything’s become exhausting to me, including arguing politics on a blog site.

listens2glenn on December 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Typicalwhitewoman on December 16, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Okay, I’ll bite. What was the reason for no red cups in the house.

Enquiring mind wants to know.

btw, atta girl.

tru2tx on December 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM

that regulate the usage of the franking privilege.

theodore on December 16, 2011 at 4:14 PM

… trouble you for “franking privilege”?

Axe on December 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Oh, you evangelical extremist, you.

listens2glenn on December 16, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Typicalwhitewoman on December 16, 2011 at 4:09 PM
I hear plastic cups is right behind money as the most cited reasons for getting a divorce.

NotCoach on December 16, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Thanks for the best laugh of the day!

Being a “probie” I finally figured out the “quote” thingy. YEAH!

Typicalwhitewoman on December 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Even if these 57 states can find a way to say it?

VietVet_Dave on December 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM

that regulate the usage of the franking privilege.

theodore on December 16, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Thank you, nevermind. Half a dozen new posts just appeared. Its doing that skip thing.

Axe on December 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I sometimes think the easily offended should simply be euthanized to put them out of their misery. And ours.

(Is this too strong a sentiment, even if it is hyperbolic?)

Dime IV on December 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Congressmen can’t say ‘Merry Christmas’ in mail
…however, “Allahu Akbar” is A-OK and is strongly encouraged by the OBOZO regime as their preferred BIG GOVERNMENT greeting.

TeaPartyNation on December 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Typicalwhitewoman on December 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM

No more quoting for you! I forbid it!

NotCoach on December 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I’m emailing Bill O’Reilly right now…

maintenanceman on December 16, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Happy Friday and Merry Christmas to all.

mike_NC9 on December 16, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Here is the Franking Commission page. Give them a holiday greeting.

spiritof61 on December 16, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Congressmen can’t say ‘Merry Christmas’ in mail

TeaPartyNation on December 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Speaking of Allahu Akbar and Congress.

NotCoach on December 16, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Gosh, I am so confused.

I thought Christmas was an OFFICIAL FEDERAL HOLIDAY!

Next up — ban Thanksgiving, because after all, exactly who are we supposed to be giving thanks to? Hmmmm??

fred5678 on December 16, 2011 at 4:45 PM

listens2glenn on December 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM

You know, we could just turn the thing off :) But … how would we know how anyone’s polling? Or what everyone thinks about how anyone is polling?

Axe on December 16, 2011 at 4:46 PM

because after all, exactly who are we supposed to be giving thanks to? Hmmmm??

fred5678 on December 16, 2011 at 4:45 PM

God YHWH Allah

Coexist

spiritof61 on December 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Typicalwhitewoman on December 16, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Okay, I’ll bite. What was the reason for no red cups in the house.

Enquiring mind wants to know.

btw, atta girl.

No rhyme or reason.
Just a power play, five weeks into the marriage and every single day was something stupidly new!

He was one of those, “he pursued me, won me, now what” types.
He was a really, really rich Wall Street private equities big mucky muck.

I was a “lowly secretary” w/o any “family money background” unlike his previous wife, who came from the Motorola family dynasty.

He figured I would never leave that kind of luxury and put up with his “new rules” and bs.

He picked the wrong girl for that.
Five months I was gone. No regrets.
I’m very happy now with a “poor” man from Ft. Worth, that treats me like a queen. (Yeah, I miss that kind of money)

Typicalwhitewoman on December 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM

That’s because congresspeople could send out their family’s Christmas letter and claim the phrase “Merry Christmas” was “incidental.” The rule has to include that stipulation or it would be nearly unenforceable. If you really don’t want congress using tax dollars to send Christmas cards, that’s the only way to make sure it doesn’t happen.

RightOFLeft on December 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Gosh, I am so confused.

I thought Christmas was an OFFICIAL FEDERAL HOLIDAY!

fred5678 on December 16, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Nope. New Years Day. Before Christ and After Death you know.

Jabberwock on December 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Then, how about “Happy Christmas?”

What, I am not even allowed to used the word “Christmas?”

Then you are not allowed to use the word “Christmas” in your statement that I am not allowed to use “Christmas.”

Just sayin’

TexAz on December 16, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Jabberwock on December 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM

So, what initials are attached to the years between BC and AD? Something like WA (While Alive)?

Jack

Jack Slade on December 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Typicalwhitewoman on December 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM

There’s a special place in hell for control freaks.

Sounds like you’re better off!

tru2tx on December 16, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Jack Slade on December 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM

JIDH – Jesus In Da House!

NotCoach on December 16, 2011 at 5:00 PM

BierManVA on December 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Still out there?

In the Spirit of the season, or in the furtherance of Utopia if you prefer, shall we truce?

I retract my troll characterization. You did wade in, but you also backed up. This is something we’ve probably all done at some point.

Anyway, for what its worth, it’s on the table.

Axe on December 16, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Anyway, for what its worth, it’s on the table.

Axe on December 16, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Accepted. Not my finest posts but like you said, it happens.

Merry Christmas!

BierManVA on December 16, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Merry Christmas and God bless all the skunks in congress. You take such advantage of a mindless population. Only the Good Lord know why we keep sending dopes like Nancy,Harry, Barney and Little Dick Durbin et all to DC. Pity us and shame on you.

StevC on December 16, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Just sent an email to White House.gov saying “Merry Christmas!” Think I will go on to our senators and congressmen

congma on December 16, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Well… a Joyous and heartfelt Christmas to all the Congress Critters and buzz-kill PC bots out there!

Wishing all in the Hot Air realm a Merry Christmas and a Happy, healthy and Prosperous New Year.

So there!

CiLH1 on December 16, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Merry Christmas!

BierManVA on December 16, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Thanks guy.

Merry Christmas!

And now that you and I have created some peace on earth, I’m off to find a sammich :) — or whatever I can find that’s slower than me.

Axe on December 16, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Typicalwhitewoman on December 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM

There’s a special place in hell for control freaks.

Sounds like you’re better off!

tru2tx on December 16, 2011 at 4:59 PM

My parent’s instilled in me,

(1)”Treat him like a King, he’ll treat you like a Queen”, and
(2)”If not, don’t take any guff. Ever. Just move on.”

Nicole Brown Simpson’s parents were negligent in that regard.
They were all blinded by the money, ‘cuz it’s even more incredible than we ever imagine…dining @ Cipriani, French Laundry.

After awhile, the money means nothing, if there’s no love and affection and respect.
Can’t believe these girls don’t get to the same conclusion.

BTW, I love Walmart.
It was a new experience for me.
It’s the ‘Neiman Marcus’ of Walmarts here in Lake Worth, TX!
YOOHOO
Hardly any Christmas lights this year on my street. Sad.

Typicalwhitewoman on December 16, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Typicalwhitewoman on December 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I’d rather my daughter marry someone like your current husband, than one like your “Ex”.
Higher “standard of living” is GREAT . . . until you have to lower your “standard of self esteem” to maintain it.

listens2glenn on December 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Would it be OK for a member of Congress to say on their holiday card: “Merry You-Know-What (wink wink, nudge nudge)”?

Hermeticus on December 16, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I don’t know of a federal Holiday for which the government shuts down, but I do know of a federal holiday for which the government shuts down, so Congress should stay in D.C. and get the people’s work done.

Merry Christmas, and God bless.

madmonkphotog on December 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM

There Goes The Neighborhood on December 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM

The internal rules and proceedings of Congress are not laws, and no part of the Constitution “trumps” another part. You should learn what the hell you’re talking about before calling someone a “troll”.

theodore on December 16, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Its doing that skip thing.

Axe on December 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM

If you find your way back here after eating, my question is: were you talking about a website behavior not related to Mod/que?
I didn’t witness the “skip thing” you brought up, so I was left wondering.
Also I’m autistic, which means being “left wondering” constitutes an unsolved puzzle.
And everybody knows us autistics can’t tolerate unsolved puzzles;
it makes us “GO POSTAL”!

listens2glenn on December 16, 2011 at 6:07 PM

H

ere is the Franking Commission page. Give them a holiday greeting.

spiritof61 on December 16, 2011 at 4:43 PM

wonder which of the republicans voted for banning the term Merry Christmas.

acyl72 on December 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I’m libertarian, but this seems a bit of a non-issue, really. I don’t want government officials appearing to endorse any particular religion.

Thomas Paine said that “Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil”; keep it separated from faith. I don’t want the birth of Christ tangled up with some cynical politician’s greasy, fake “Merry Christmas,” thank you.

bifidis on December 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

H

ere is the Franking Commission page. Give them a holiday greeting.

spiritof61 on December 16, 2011 at 4:43 PM

wonder which of the republicans voted for banning the term Merry Christmas.

acyl72 on December 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM

didn’t finish the thought. I expect stuff like this from the facist dems but wonder which RINO sold his soul for another couple of pieces of silver.

acyl72 on December 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

listens2glenn on December 16, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Then I’m glad I checked back in before shutting the network down tonight :)

I habitually refresh the page just before I post, but when I posted that request to theodore (having never heard the word “franking” in my franking life), several posts appeared anyway, one of which, embarrassingly enough, answered my question.

My “Skip”.

I have a theory about why HA’s started doing that from time to time … but it’s almost certainly wrong, so … “Skip” is just how I encapsulate it. It’s not a moderation issue though.

Also I’m autistic

I can’t even draw a stick man. :)

Heh. A little autistic humor.

… I’ll go iron my fingers for that.

Axe on December 16, 2011 at 6:33 PM

If any of these guys had any stones, they go ahead and wish their constituents “Merry Christmas” anyway. Then, let the leadership “punish” them for it. Put up or shut up. What are they going to do – throw someone out of the House for this? The public firestorm from that would be deadly.

Grow a pair boys/girls.

Mr Galt on December 16, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Axe on December 16, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Ok, very good.

I was relegated to ‘Mod/que’ just before Thanksgiving, and it made it impossible to participate in real time discussion/debating/arguing.

listens2glenn on December 16, 2011 at 6:45 PM

bifidis on December 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Govt in the U.S. was NEVER intended to be separated from “faith”, or even Christianity, for that matter.

“Original intent”, and all that.

listens2glenn on December 16, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Who says they can’t? Is there some kind of regulation? Are there people in the franking office who check each and every piece of mail that goes out? This was decided by some group of bureaucrats and all of our Congressmen and Congresswomen bow to their wishes?
What hogwash!

Bobbi on December 16, 2011 at 6:50 PM

listens2glenn on December 16, 2011 at 6:47 PM

K. Later. Keep the faith. All that rot :)

(yawn)

Axe on December 16, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Axe on December 16, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Roger, will do.

listens2glenn on December 16, 2011 at 7:00 PM

“Original intent”, and all that.

listens2glenn on December 16, 2011 at 6:47 PM

That’s an argument, sure. But it still doesn’t change the more concrete fact that a member of Congress is wasting money on a slimy, self-serving, fake “Christmas” message.

Here’s my Christmas message to Congress: spend exactly the same amount that the Holy Family spent on Christmas.

bifidis on December 16, 2011 at 7:01 PM

First, thanks for the correction to Happy Festivus ;)

But just an FYI…you can tweet ‘em at #HouseAdmnGOP

Just passing along some info … you might want to wish them a very “Happy Holidays” or something ;)

ProfShadow on December 16, 2011 at 7:12 PM

wonder which RINO sold his soul for another couple of pieces of silver.

acyl72 on December 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

There’s a Stupak in every bunch.

Happy Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ to All!

spiritof61 on December 16, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Congress should stick to doing their job. No niceities. No bills of attainder and ex post facto declarations. None of that.

The Nerve on December 16, 2011 at 7:39 PM

America is having its ezekiel moment. What a sad state of affairs.

tom daschle concerned on December 16, 2011 at 8:31 PM

There is absolutely no reason to keep any of these morons employed. Just who in H*ll do they think they are? They need a good punch in the nose for Christmas.

ultracon on December 16, 2011 at 9:12 PM

listens2glenn on December 16, 2011 at 6:47 PM

bifidis on December 16, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I might have to concede the “slimy, self serving” part of that to you, because I don’t know what their motives are for sending these out. Do these cards/letters constitue campaigning? If so, then you can justifiably call it fake.
But if that isn’t what you meant by “fake”, then what did you mean?

In reference to the Holy Family, Joseph was a very successful carpenter. He had the money for lodging, but it didn’t matter.
All of the hospitality lodgings (inns) in Bethlehem were FULL.
It seems some stupid governmental authority had issued an edict that all of his subjects (which included Israel and Judea at the time) were to go to their native village (place of birth) and pay some stupid conjured-up tax.
Joseph and Mary were just later in arriving, and every place was already booked solid.
The stable was all the innkeeper had to offer them. And strictly speaking, it was better than staying out on the street.
I’m satisfied that Joseph payed something for staying in that stable, and definitely payed for any food and other expenses they incurred.

listens2glenn on December 16, 2011 at 9:33 PM

The left and some on the right need to look up the word “establish” and find out what it means.

CW on December 16, 2011 at 10:26 PM

December 2011: Members of Congress are not allowed to wish constituents “Merry Christmas” in any official mailing.

Is this what our Founders fought for?

No, it’s the exact opposite of what our Founders fought for.

Try telling John Hancock (yes the same John Hancock with the huge signature on the Declaration of Independence) what Congress can and can’t say about Jesus Christ…

In CONGRESS, SATURDAY, March 16, 1776.

IN times of impending calamity and distress; when the Liberties of America are imminently endangered by the secret machinations and open assaults of an insidious and vindictive Administration, it becomes the indispensible duty of these hitherto free and happy Colonies, with true penitence of heart, and the most reverent devotion, publickly to acknowledge the over ruling providence of God; to confess and deplore our offences against him; and to supplicate his interposition for averting the threatened danger, and prospering our strenuous efforts in the cause of Freedom, Virtue and Posterity.

The Congress therefore, considering the warlike preparations of the British Ministry to subvert our invaluable rights and privileges, and to reduce us by fire and sword, by the savages of the wilderness and our own domestics, to the most abject and ignominious bondage: Desirous, at the same time, to have people of all ranks and degrees, duly impressed with a solemn sense of God’s superintending providence, and of their duty devoutly to rely in all their lawful enterprizes of his aid and direction–do earnestly recommend, that FRIDAY, the seventeenth day of May next, be observed by the said Colonies as a day of HUMILIATION, FASTING, and PRAYER; that we may with united hearts confess and bewail our manifold sins and transgressions, and by a sincere, repentance and amendment of life, appease his righteous displeasure and through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ, obtain his pardon and forgiveness; humbly imploring his assistance to frustrate the cruel purposes of our unnatural enemies; and by inclining their hearts to justice and benevolence, prevent the further effusion of kindred blood. But if continuing deaf to the voice of reason and humanity, and inflexibly bent on desolation and war, they constrain us to repel their hostile invasions by open resistance, that it may please the Lord of Hosts, the God of Armies, to animate our Officers and Soldiers with invincible fortitude to guard and protect them in the day of battle, and to crown the Continental arms by sea and land with victory and success: Earnestly beseeching him to bless our civil Rulers and the Representatives of the People in their several Assemblies and Conventions; to preserve and strengthen their Union, to inspire them with an ardent disinterested love of their Country; to give wisdom and stability to their Councils; and direct them to the most efficacious measures for establishing the Rights of America on the most honorable and permanent basis–that he would be graciously pleased to bless all his People in these Colonies with Health and Plenty, and grant that a spirit of incorruptible Patriotism and of pure undefiled Religion may universally prevail; and this Continent be speedily restored to the blessings of Peace and Liberty, and enabled to transmit them inviolate to the latest Posterity. And it is recommended to Christians of all denominations to assemble for Public Worship, and abstain from servile Labour on the said Day.

By Order of Congress, JOHN HANCOCK, President

Attest………..CHARLES THOMPSON, Secretary.

Colony of the Massachusetts-Bay.

In COUNCIL, April 3, 1776.

READ and accepted, and Ordered, That a suitable Number be printed, in order that each of the religious Assemblies, in this Colony, may be furnished with a Copy of the same.

Sent down for Concurrence………..PEREZ MORTON, Dep. Sec’ry.

In the House of REPRESENTATIVES, April 4, 1776.

Read and concurr’d………..SAMUEL FREEMAN, Speaker, pro Tem.

Consented to,

JAMES OTIS, BENJAMIN GREENLEAF, CALEB CUSHING, JOHN WINTHROP, JOHN WHETCOMB, ELDAD TAYLOR, MICHAEL FARLEY, JOSEPH PALMER, SAMUEL HOLTEN, MOSES GILL, JOSEPH GERRISH, BENJAMIN LINCOLN, CHARLES CHAUNCY, JOHN TAYLOR, BENJAMIN WHITE.

GOD SAVE THE PEOPLE.

The Library of Congress Document Image

That is what a Congressional order looked like when John Hancock and other Founders served in Congress around the time of the founding of our nation.

NCITTRP on December 16, 2011 at 11:42 PM

And if you try to remove the spiritual foundation of our nation, then President George Washington questions your patriotism…

Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, Religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labour to subvert these great Pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men & citizens.

NCITTRP on December 16, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Pack of hypocrites anyway. How they honor or don’t honor Christmas matters little to me.

I just want them to stay out of the business of attacking Christmas and messing it up for those of us who believe.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 16, 2011 at 11:56 PM

I am not trying to be an ass…

BierManVA on December 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Not trying, huh? I believe that. There’s no need to try when it comes so naturally to you. Next time don’t let the big words upset you.

cicerone on December 16, 2011 at 11:59 PM

CW on December 16, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Indeed. Many people wrongly claim that Government “endorsement” of Religion is unconstitutional. It’s not.

The First Amendment does not prohibit “ENDORSEMENT” of religion.

It prohibits “ESTABLISHMENT” of religion.

Our Founders endorsed Christianity on a regular basis.

The words “establishment” and “endorsement” have very different meanings.

If I “establish” a restaurant that is totally different than if I “endorse” a restaurant.

If I “establish” a restaurant, I create it, I own it, and I operate it.

If I “endorse” a restaurant, I am just a customer who likes it enough to tell someone else about it.

The first Amendment prevents Congress from making any law respecting an “establishment” of religion. Our Government is not allowed to create, own, or operate a religion (as was previously done by the Government in England with the Church of England).

The first Amendment does NOT prevent Congress from making any law respecting an “endorsement” of religion. Our Congress has always “endorsed” Christianity, from the moment of the opening prayer at the very first session of Congress.

Some current Congress members need to send out some “Merry Christmas” Christmas cards, and when someone tries to stop them, explain that the first amendment PROTECTS, NOT PROHIBITS their right to do so. To restrict such expression would be an unconstitutional restriction on their free exercise of religion.

Remember,

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof….

Congress is Constitutionally restrained from prohibiting the free exercise of religion!

Yet these “Christmas Card Nazis” have turned the 1st Amendment upside down and are trying to use it to prohibit the free exercise of religion!

NCITTRP on December 17, 2011 at 12:10 AM

@Axe Aw, somehow I’ve missed your poems to me — and I love poetry (Longfellow, especially)! Perhaps you wrote them when I was scrupulously avoiding reading the comments section for the sake of my own sanity. But I very much appreciate your remarks tonight, especially the sentiment that Christmas vacations are exhausting. They are, indeed! And I’d like to write an extended post on the concept of salvation sometime …

Tina Korbe on December 17, 2011 at 2:02 AM

Can they say Happy Hanukkah? Have they banned wishing Muslims a happy Ramadan? By the time they are finished with us the only thing that will be permissible to say is “Sieg Heil.”

Dollayo on December 17, 2011 at 7:19 AM

I am an Atheist. And I say, MERRY CHRISTMAS y’all! Writing my congressmen and letting them know I want them to wish me a Merry Christmas. It is not about religion to me. It is about custom.

tjcat on December 17, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Typicalwhitewoman on December 16, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I love red cups. Will you marry me?

SteppedInWhat on December 17, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Frohe Weihnachten!
(Obama: “Is that Austrian?”)
LOL

I got your Feliz Navidad right here, José.
It just wouldn’t be Christmas without The Drifters & Santa:

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on December 17, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Tina Korbe on December 17, 2011 at 2:02 AM

Thanks :)

… er, and don’t leave the “salvation” post to AllahPundit … he’s been warped by Speak-N-Spell or something.

Axe on December 17, 2011 at 9:54 AM

NCITTRP on December 17, 2011 at 12:10 AM

… a bit odd that a government so hot-and-heavy about taking care of it’s population of unwashed children would promise to take care of every single need they have — except one.

I’ll feed you, clothe you, take you to the doctor, give you medicine, help you parent while it’s time, provide all my largess to your children in their turn, defend you, teach you, keep you safe at work, keep you safe at home, and most importantly: I’ll guide you through the uncertainty of life by showing you what’s important and what’s not, what’s true and what’s not.

– But I won’t tell you Merry Christmas, no matter how many of you are celebrating it.

– For some reason.

Axe on December 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Merry Christmas everyone! Better say it while we can.

Kissmygrits on December 17, 2011 at 10:16 AM

From Wikipedia:

[Franking] allows the letter or other parcel to be sent without the application of an actual postage stamp. In the United States this is called the “Congressional frank” which can only be used for “Official Business” mail.

How does any holiday greeting, Merry Christmas or otherwise, qualify as official business? Congressional franking is at our expense. It’s use should be MUCH more severely restricted, and I don’t mean along religious lines.

SomeCallMeJohn on December 17, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Gee, that’s strange, I just got a card from my congressman with a pic of his family and the bold red words “Merry Christmas” on the front. I didn’t save the envelope though so I don’t know if it was sent from his office under official mail or from some other way…

Vntnrse on December 17, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I haven’t read the whole post, so pardon me if I’m repeating…but do they realize that “holiday” derives from “Holy Day”? So, if not Christmas, which Holy Day are we celebrating?

walnut on December 17, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Some scholars will tell you:
Saying Merry Christmas is worse then fornication or killing someone