Unions harass teacher who dared to speak up in support of Scott Walker

posted at 12:15 pm on December 15, 2011 by Tina Korbe

The obnoxiousness continues. Not content to picket the Capitol and petition for the recall of any and every state leader who had a hand in the passage of Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s budget repair bill, union leaders are now harassing a teacher who appeared in an ad in support of Walker.

In a basic black-back-dropped ad, Kristi Lacroix said she wasn’t in favor of a recall.

“I’m not big on recalls and I think, at this point, in my opinion, and I’m only speaking from the ‘I,’ it feels a little like sour grapes,” she says in the spot. “It’s ‘oh, we didn’t get our way,’ and now we’re going to change the outcome.”

But she didn’t stop with a simple indictment of recalls. She also voiced a positive opinion of Walker himself — also known to the unions as “Hosni Mubarak” or “Adolf Hitler.”

“Scott Walker said from the beginning: ‘I’m going to do what’s right for Wisconsin,’” Lacroix continued. “And he did. He did.”

That ad didn’t make union leaders too happy — and you know what union leaders do when they’re not happy. Can you say “retaliation” much?

“She’s facing typical Saul Alinsky tactics,” Education Action group founder Kyle Walker said this morning on a Fox and Friends segment. “There is a ‘Fire Kristi’ movement that is forming where pro-union members are threatening her with her job. They’re threatening to throw all of this trash on her in order to marginalize her and get her to quit.”

Lacroix herself is likely surprised by the treatment she’s received, the education expert continued.

“We work with a lot of teachers around the country and they’re by and large apolitical people,” he said. “They just want to do their job. … So, when somebody like Kristi stands up and says what she believes, they’re surprised to have this vitriolic reaction. But it’s not surprising.”

Sadly — but also not surprisingly — the tactics seem to be working. According to the Fox and Friends TV segment, Lacroix might quit. And while the NLRB might go out of its way to ensure Boeing doesn’t retaliate against its workers, you can bet the Board won’t go out of its way to ensure the unions don’t retaliate against their members. Lacroix likely has little recourse.

This news underscores Scott Walker’s correct perception of the need to break the power of public employee unions, which ought never to have acquired the collective bargaining rights they presently enjoy in the first place. Even formidable labor leaders of the past, like former AFL-CIO president George Meany, said collective bargaining between the government and public employee unions made no sense.

“It is impossible to bargain collectively with the government,” Meany said.

That’s because politicians and unions alike bargain with taxpayer money. The incentive then becomes to extort as much money from the taxpayer as possible. But don’t you dare try to reverse that trend or you’ll face the Scott Walker/Kristi Lacroix treatment. Only one word for it: Unfair.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

That’s why we have to go steath in this state. So far they can’t come in the voting booth with us.

wi farmgirl on December 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM

The Left only believes in free speech for themselves.

Chip on December 15, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Unions have many diverse ways of destroying you if you cross them. That’s real diversity to them.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on December 15, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Public “schools” are nothing more than a racket and this is further proof.

Thug tactics like this, expose what the #1 priority of public “education” is and it ISN’T education.

School choice now.

NoDonkey on December 15, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Ah yes, Unions at their best. …being worst. I’m so surprised.(not)

Biggib on December 15, 2011 at 12:20 PM

If she quits then they win and scares everyone else off.Every teacher in the state should quit,today.

docflash on December 15, 2011 at 12:20 PM

#45 in the ever increasing list of reason I hate unions

kurtzz3 on December 15, 2011 at 12:22 PM

They picket your business if you put any pro-walker signs up.

wi farmgirl on December 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM

The obnoxiousness continues.

It’s not obnoxiousness, it’s the softcore early stage of fascism.

So why did Hitler sign the recall petition? The anti-Walker Left has Hitler on their side.

rbj on December 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Saw this when it aired. Made me reach for blood pressure meds an hour than I usually do.

Flora Duh on December 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Aren’t members of these national organizations of socialists supposed to be stalwart supporters of the right to protest and speak out?

Aren’t they the ones who are supposedly on the side of liberty?

Chip on December 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Work place harassment! Sounds like excellent law suit material to me.

The Rock on December 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Sad, so sad

cmsinaz on December 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM

So, Free Speach isn’t so free after all, …

The Right to Speak Freely here in the U.S. is a really great thing, but it came at a price, and it continues to carry a cost for those speaking out against political correctness.

Lawrence on December 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Come to Texas Kristi. You’ll love it.

JAGonzo on December 15, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Only one word for it: Unfair. Criminal

FIFMe

WordsMatter on December 15, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I am so tired of all this.

wi farmgirl on December 15, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I see a lot of people claiming the unions will force her out, but aside from them being unhappy with her (just like rich people get unhappy with Buffet/Soros) I don’t see any wrong doing. Just a lot of white knighting a women whose cool with having her salary cut to 60% of the average worker in her state.

Rainsford on December 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Typical union thuggery. we saw it last year. this poor teacher is an easy target for these goons. they will try to make an example of her so that no other teachers dare to speak out.

waitwaitdontsmellme on December 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM

There ya go.
Unions=say whatever you want as long as you agree with us.

It’s been like that for quite a long time. I’m 60′ish and when I was a kid my dad used to rail against the hypocrisy and thuggedness of unions. Now that the unions have a president in their pocket they have no fear of any recrimination.

The solution is simple–just look at my screen name.

NOMOBO on December 15, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Be a shame if she quits teaching altogether – we need more like her in this country. She should check out other states or private schools.

tdpwells on December 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Does anyone know if there has been any move to offer support to Kristi, perhaps via a website? I don’t have the know how to get one started, but would be happy to add support.

Also, what about the legality of the tactics being used against her? If the unions are prepared to dump untrue garbage about her, doesn’t that meet the standard of slander/libel (can never remember the difference)?

susietwo on December 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I am so tired of all this.

wi farmgirl on December 15, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I do feel sympathy for you all that live in the middle of this insanity. I mean that. I don’t know if I could do it without hurting someone, badly.

Flora Duh on December 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM

It’s almost impossible to fire public school teachers for any reasons other than rape of their minor students but if the unions want you out for appearing on an ad they will get their way. Something’s wrong with this picture.

legalimmigrant on December 15, 2011 at 12:31 PM

this story underscores the fact that in most cases, or at least in my experience, Unions are never willing to put up with the same openness and liberties for their members that they expect companies to extend to the union. Most often they are much more restrictive on their members and expect complete adherence to the union…or else. This teacher in Wisconsin is getting the ‘or else’ treatment.

HoosierStateofMind on December 15, 2011 at 12:31 PM

The sooner the unions in Wisconsin are permanently broken the better. Their legacy will amount to legalized extortion and thuggery.

Brent E on December 15, 2011 at 12:32 PM

RICO the union thugs

joeindc44 on December 15, 2011 at 12:32 PM

And now every teacher in Wisconsin who had any intention of going against their collective grain now has the message loud and clear – obey or you’re going to get the same.

gabby on December 15, 2011 at 12:33 PM

How dare she exercise her First Amendment rights!

Ward Cleaver on December 15, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Rainsford on December 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM

one of these is not like the others…

DanMan on December 15, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Ha! “But they still want your dues” That was a great line. Just like the government, pay up and shut up.

Mord on December 15, 2011 at 12:38 PM

A better word: Unjust.

Power to the union, not the people they are supposed to look out for.

plutorocks on December 15, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I am a school teacher and a conservative. I teach in Texas, where we DO NOT have teachers unions. We do have associations, that are voluntary, and they mostly stick up for you when the school district wants to throw you under a bus.

I have to agree with the statement in the article that most teachers are apolitical. Most teachers I know lean to the right.

A good teacher should be apolitical with their students. I know of a few comrades in teaching, but for the most part their personal views are not ever shared.

Its a shame what is happening to this teacher in Wisconsin for daring to express her own views.

I hope that most readers of HotAir would not stereotype ALL teachers based on the actions of a few.

Thanks!

smorrow66 on December 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I remember when I was growing up in WI/Chicago you never ever speak ill of the unions. I had to join the teamsters just to be a bagger @ 16 to work for Jewel Osco. The fear still displayed by WI relatives is sad to see when you speakout about their corruption is amazing. Google the Midwest Academy …that’s the belly of the commie/prog beast. SEMPER PARATUS.

ninjacoastie on December 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM

This isn’t just an attack against Kristi Lacroix it is also a message for anyone in any union. The “Step out of line and we will destroy you” message is there for all to see.
How could anyone in their right mind want to be a part of that type of organization? Oh yeah, Nazis, Stalinist, etc etc—-
Nobody emulates Nazi tactics better than the unions.

rightoption on December 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM

The school board could hire her as the school superintendent as an object lesson to the union.

dunce on December 15, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Rainsford on December 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM

So being harassed by fellow teachers is OK with you?

NotCoach on December 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM

30 years ago when I was first old enough to vote legally ( i could have voted multiple times if my state didn’t demand ID) if you had posted some of the crap going on right now you’d have probably been checked out for mental illness.

$15,000,000,000,000 in debt, a $1,000,000 debt and unfunded liabilities for every legal U citizen, public sector employees making way more than the average private sector employee, lifetime benefits, pensions and health care for government workers, rampant fraud and corruption in the ruling party and the financial sector and fighting two or three unwinnable wars with money we don’t have.

these union and government workers are the vile and corrupt treasonous lot that will destroy our country just so they can have their 30 pieces of silver.

acyl72 on December 15, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Thanks!

smorrow66 on December 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Most people here would defend the individual from the union. We know the difference. Thanks for being a teacher, BTW.

Mord on December 15, 2011 at 12:42 PM

The Left only believes in free speech for themselves.

Chip on December 15, 2011 at 12:18 PM

“Freeish” speech.

Axe on December 15, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Well don’t come to Ohio Kristi, the ppl voted out issue 5. Now their eather laying off or privatizing. Ppl are so stupid here they didn’t realize a 8 million dollar hole is a 8 million dollar hole. Now many are getting buyers remorse.

angrymike on December 15, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Sturmabteilung.

Akzed on December 15, 2011 at 12:47 PM

If she is interested in pursuing it, I would bet that Kristi has an excellent claim against the union/union members for interfering with her employment with her school district.

tennesseejed on December 15, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Quick Wisconsin – pass an anti-bullying law so leftists can ignore it now that someone’s being victimized by bullies.

Patton531 on December 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Hitler and Mickey Mouse on the recall lists…and now this…the good folks of Wisconsin should vote for Walker to finally tell the unions to go where it’s very hot.

Schadenfreude on December 15, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Hitler had his Brown Shirts and President Tee Time has his Purple Shirts. Diversity for gays, union goons, and minorities, but not for Whitey!

Rude Ram on December 15, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Rainsford on December 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM

So are you okay with workplace harassment against men and women…or just the women? To put it another way, you don’t see anything wrong with this because…she’s “asking for it,” right?

cicerone on December 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Ah yes, the left creating conservative converts one at a time. I wonder if these union dopes ever saw that Happy Days episode, you know…the one where Fonzie on water skis jumps the…ah never mind. Let em meet the same fate that show did not long after that episode.

msupertas on December 15, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Liberals are for diversity in everything but thought – Charles Krauthammer.

Mallard T. Drake on December 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Wait until Obama hears about this. She will get fired immediately.

tmgrant on December 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Typical behavior of leftists, whether they be in the academia, the media, politics, business, what have you. I even knew a libtard engineer once. Almost without exception, they’re bullies.

MisterElephant on December 15, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Like it’s been said, but it can’t be said enough – this is fascism.

norway salmon on December 15, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I am so tired of all this.

wi farmgirl on December 15, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Flora Duh on December 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM

It’s getting to the point that something has to give… we’ll see what happens soon I’m sure.

Schadenfreude on December 15, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Well a few of my co-workers and I are prepared to join the rank of “Reviewers” to help pick out the invalid signatures on the petitions. Would like to tell them where to go before we even get to a re-call election.

The GAB (Government Accountability Board) is a joke…

WhoU4 on December 15, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I don’t see any wrong doing.
Rainsford on December 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM

The lib has spoken. Typical. Where’s do you get that teacher’s pay is getting cut to 60% of average in the state?

Vince on December 15, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Rainsford on December 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I see you signed up a troll, and a lying one at that. There is no way that the teachers are making 60% less than the AVERAGE worker. In fact, I think it is the other way around.

Union thugs can lie along with beating on your car hood with a pick handle.

Old Country Boy on December 15, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Here’s her “ratemyteacher” entry.

The first comment:

Best teacher at Lakeview!!!!

And, in a sign that even here “graffiti” was posted and erased:

what what is with the bad comments? I bet those people did not even have her. They sound like they were made by adults and not students. je[a]lous much?

unclesmrgol on December 15, 2011 at 1:06 PM

I live in WI and I *knew* that this lady was going to get the union treatment for this when I saw the ad.

It would probably be *extremely* effective for her to do *another* ad detailing the treatment she is currently receiving for her support of Walker and the reforms. No-one likes a bully. It’d be *terrible* PR for the unions.

Vancomycin on December 15, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Rainsford on December 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Link please, to back up your claim of 60% of the average worker in Wisconsin? You’re just another union loving tool who feels collective bargaining is a “right”.

quint906 on December 15, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Rainsford on December 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM

You do have some hard links for that salary assertion, don’t you? Be a good chap and post them, if you will.

Otherwise, we’ll have to assume that yours is just another typical leftist ‘pull it out of your butt and fling it against the wall to see if it sticks’ “statistic”.

Solaratov on December 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM

It’s for the children…….of union thugs.

Hard Right on December 15, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Remember which party ran away from the state while their union thug friends occupied the capital. And now those union thugs want to silence dissent from someone who’s dues are forcefully taken from her and used to pay for political causes that she disagrees with.

Yeah. The party of real courage.

Scrappy on December 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM

You may have to do some work re-defining the “environment”, but hostile it is. She said nothing inflammatory just voiced her opinion on the recall. As far as I can tell from the story, she said nothing at all negative about the union.
If a student voiced an anti-recall opinion, would he/she be run out of school ?
Rainsford, what exactly is the proper % of ave. salary ?

Jabberwock on December 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Yeah. The party of real courage.

Scrappy

they ravely ran away… (Monty Python)

Hard Right on December 15, 2011 at 1:15 PM

ravely=bravely

Hard Right on December 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Union thugs can lie along with beating on your car hood with a pick handle.

Old Country Boy on December 15, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Tru dat. I teach at a private school and some public school teachers, with similar education and experience as I, make FOUR times as much as I do – and that’s just salary. I don’t dare try to figure it with pensions and benefits or I may get too depressed.

miConsevative on December 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM

During the scott brown special election in MA, my wife was outed. Her co-worker came in all dejected and asked why she( my wife ) was so spunky. When she pried it out of my wife who she voted for the coworker asked “how could you do this to me and my son?” Her son was an unemployed 20 something with some mental health issues and since he didnt have health isurance, the co-workers time was being sucked by her son. Everything Repulican/Consevative was an affront to her son’s situation.

Rich on December 15, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Free speech, not to mention the well-being of an honest person, is at risk here.

This reprehensible union behavior is definitely NOT AMERICAN.

It is thuggery and the complete lack of morals.

Not acceptable!!

Sherman1864 on December 15, 2011 at 1:19 PM

ninjacoastie on December 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM

A Chicago nonprofit on which President Obama served as paid director provided startup capital and later funding to Midwest Academy, an activist organization described as teaching tactics of direct action, confrontation and intimidation, WND has learned.

I also worked at a Jewel/Osco in the Chicago area. Only Jewel was union, Osco (the drug store part) wasn’t. We were told what to do if they tried to organize us, basically walk away. Jewel paid a little more but Osco had a great discount. Though Osco did try to browbeat you into giving “my fair share” to United Way. Back in the 70′s, high school students were making a little over $2 an hour and we were expected to give 3% to their chosen charity. I refused so I didn’t get the pin to wear on my smock. *eye roll*

Fallon on December 15, 2011 at 1:24 PM

The Left only believes in free speech for themselves.
Chip on December 15, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Exactly! Either their way or the highway. I say put the unions out on the highway and leave them in the rear view mirror.

Sherman1864 on December 15, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Here’s what Ellsworth WI teacher Shelly Moore had to say while running against Republican Sheila Harsdorf in this year’s recall election.

We are WEAC and they WILL respect us, not just because we DEMAND it, but because we DESERVE it!

Nice, eh?

jfox21 on December 15, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Rainsford on December 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Damn … what a friggin’ liar.

darwin on December 15, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Read the KEY BOOK on TEACHERS UNIONS and COMMUNISM–particularly TEACHERS UNIONS by Bella Dodd, former communist, “School of Darkness.” This was back in the 30′s and 40′s! It shows the stranglehold they began to have on the teachers reaching all the way back then. It hasn’t changed folks. As we descend into dictatorship the teachers are a key component of those responsible.

AgentRose on December 15, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I am sure that Eric Holder will be right on top of that!

KOOLAID2 on December 15, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Her students and their parents seem to like her.

Mrs. Lacroix is one of the greatest teachers I have ever had in my life. Seriously. She cares about your grades, and how you do in the class, but she also cares about you as an individual.

Great teacher and I wish more of teachers would have cared as much as she did. I don’t understand what all the commotion is regarding her job teaching.

Kristi is an awesome teacher! Very helpful to her Students and good communication with Parents. I wish schools had 1000′s of Kristi’s.

Mrs. Lacroix is the best English teacher I’ve ever had! And I did not feel her political beliefs interfered with her teaching whatsoever.

capitalist piglet on December 15, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I thought the left was against bullying

Wigglesworth on December 15, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Unions are for Soviets.

hatecraft on December 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Rainsford on December 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM

You may not see any illegal doing…yet. But there is much wrong including a very deep one that may involve some serious introspection on the left. It starts with the question: is there any idea born from the left that is free of coercion, intimidation, and/or force where implementation of that idea is possible?

anuts on December 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Its a free country. She can always opt out of the Thuggish Union. Oh … wait.

BRunner on December 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I would like to know when are the vast non-union working people going to actively take back control of this country! It seems that as long as liberals are allowed to take money from the productive people, they will continue to do it. It has to stop now, but it won’t unless government spending stops at all levels. Do you get the feeling that being nice about it won’t cut it anymore?

pmpjr on December 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM

In the spirit of taking it out unfairly on unrelated parties, I hope the Packers and Badgers lose spectacularly. I’m certain there are plenty of decent fans of both teams, but the poor sports really turn me off.

Christien on December 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM

When do the parents of the school children in Wisconsin stand up?

Dan822 on December 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Don’t schools have a “Zero Tolerance” policy when it comes to bullying?

taznar on December 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM

#17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.

Communist Goals (1963)

Roy Rogers on December 15, 2011 at 1:47 PM

susietwo on December 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Great idea! I’d be on board, too.

BTW–slander is spoken, libel is written. The only way I can remember is slander and spoken begin with S. : )

herm2416 on December 15, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Rainsford: even your strained brain knows that 67.34% of all statistics are made up on the fly.

And let’s admit once and for all that Unions=the Gestapo for this WH

NapaConservative on December 15, 2011 at 1:53 PM

What’s so disgusting is that she is a dues-paying member of the union, an organization that is supposed to be on the side of their members, and the union is treating her like dirt for having her own views. Nobody should ever be forced to pay dues to an organization that hates your guts and tries to ruin your career.

NukeRidingCowboy on December 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM

pmpjr on December 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM

If a student voiced an anti-recall opinion, would he/she be run out of school ?
Rainsford, what exactly is the proper % of ave. salary ?

Jabberwock on December 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I took the comment as her Current work environment, since the ad aired.

herm2416 on December 15, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I worked with a Lady who crossed the line during the strike. She had a son with leukemia and had to cross to keep the insurance going. Most union “brothers and sisters” gave her a very hard time. We are all family .. . as long as you march in lockstep .. .

countmein on December 15, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Rainsford on December 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Seriously? A typical veteran teacher might make a salary of $50K. A lot make more than that. Do you seriously believe that an average worker in Wisconsin makes over $70K? Ever been to Wisconsin?

Mr. D on December 15, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Called the union hall to “opt out”. There was only one day a year to fill out that paperwork .. .and a 3 hour window to apply ..

countmein on December 15, 2011 at 2:03 PM

The other option is to find out who the harassing parties (individuals) are and give them a taste of their own medicine. Ruin their Christmas, make life a hell for them wherever they go…etc.

Eventually that’s what’s going to be required to shut this kind of crap down.

Vancomycin on December 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Rainsford on December 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM

At risk of feeding the trolls, say what?

jistincase on December 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Rainsford on December 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Yeah troll. I see what you did there – no idea how easy it is to search for the truth, yet here in Mississippi a starting teacher’s salary is $39,999.96. That is from the Mississippi State Personal Board website. And yeah, btw I’m a former teacher who refused to join the union.

katz on December 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Imagine if a lefty teacher somehow were harassed for making a “Recall Walker” ad.

(First-ever post here. Partly making it just to get the moderation-of-initial-comment bit done with.)

Grommet on December 15, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Ms. Lacroix should move to Texas, North Carolina, or other “right to work” state. We demand only that the teachers do a good job. The unions can (insert favorite negative explicitive here) themselves.

Turtle317 on December 15, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Don’t worry people We Win. To many people wakin up for this stuff to keep happening. The thugs have been found out.

rbtsckdj on December 15, 2011 at 2:20 PM

You should scan all the pages and post them on the internet, and let the blogosphere have at ‘em. Share the fun with the rest of the country, why dontcha?

CJ on December 15, 2011 at 2:20 PM