Rick Perry: I want to be the Tim Tebow of the Iowa caucuses

posted at 10:24 pm on December 15, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart TV, a clever wink at the social-con constituency he’s now counting on to put him over the top. And not only in Iowa, either: Given the Tebow love around here lately, I think this dude might have just locked up the next Hot Gas reader poll.

Actually, I think Perry might be the Trent Dilfer of the caucuses: Terrible, yet somehow still ultimately the winner.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

He talks like a complete doofus. Animated almost like a cartoon.

stingray9813 on December 16, 2011 at 11:12 AM

He talks like a complete doofus. Animated almost like a cartoon.

stingray9813 on December 16, 2011 at 11:12 AM

He was stoned last night. He was barely coherent and meandered all over the place with his answers.

csdeven on December 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Rick Perry seems like the kind of unimpressive student or employee who has skated through life for too long by relying on a kind nauseating, put-on, cartoonish, folksy, arent-I-likeable and down-to-earth act. “Charm” like this is fake, fake, fake. Rick Perry seems like a cartoon character reading lines that were fed to him. I’m disappointed to see so many people won over by Perry’s pandering charade. I hate to say it, but I feel like Perry is targeting the less intelligent of the Republican primary voters, much like Huckabee did 4 years ago when he took his “aw-shucks” clown roadshow on tour in Iowa.

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM

He is after the religious bigot vote also. Just like Huckabigot did in 2008.

csdeven on December 16, 2011 at 11:50 AM

He is after the religious bigot vote also. Just like Huckabigot did in 2008.

csdeven on December 16, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Exactly right.

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 11:56 AM

If Perry can’t win because he reminds people of Bush then how can Romney win when he reminds people of L. Ron Hubbard?

CorporatePiggy on December 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM

how can Romney win when he reminds people of L. Ron Hubbard?

CorporatePiggy on December 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Exactly how does he remind people of Hubbard?

csdeven on December 16, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I don’t give a rat’s hairy rear end about his debate skills. I am all for Rick Perry because I think he’d pursue the best policies in Washington to secure the future of this nation. The policy deficiencies and inconsistent positions of Gingrich and Romney clearly demonstrate that while they may be good talkers on stage, they are poor decision makers and would produce terrible policies. Perry isn’t the slickest debater but I’d rather let him take a crack at applying the Texas economic model to Washington than let those other buffoons anywhere near the Oval Office.

dczombie on December 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Exactly how does he remind people of Hubbard?

csdeven on December 16, 2011 at 12:25 PM

The creepy cult-leader smile just for starters.

CorporatePiggy on December 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Perry won the debate with the Tim Tebow remark. Most Americans admire Tebow’s conviction in the face of stinging opposition. He doesn’t budge, he stands on his beliefs, he glorifies God while others mock him. Perry is just like that and people know it.

Btw, the true bigots are those who are bigoted towards Christianity. Jesus said the world would hate us for his sake–but also said that He would honor those who honored Him. Perry and Tebow have both honored Christ in their words and deeds. Their eternal reward will be worth the spiteful attacks here on Earth.

louisianapatriette on December 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM

dczombie on December 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I hear you, friend! With you all the way.

louisianapatriette on December 16, 2011 at 12:46 PM

In anybody is still out their checking this post, I have a serious question for any feedback. Thanks in advance!

First, if you can discount his miscues, and note that congress does immigration anyway, and Perry’s feet could be held to the fire on immigration. Perry message of “the outsider that will overhaul government” + in effect “end political correctness” is concise and what is needed. It should be a winning message. It is also conceivable that some degree of Paul’s supporters could move to him under the right circumstances.

Anyway, it says in this article that Rick Perry IS OPEN TO MAKING DRUGS A STATE ISSUE.

My question: if Perry made a bigger noise about this drug point, could this change the equation, help him win Iowa, nomination & general?

anotherJoe on December 16, 2011 at 12:51 PM

The creepy cult-leader smile just for starters.

CorporatePiggy on December 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Wow. Considering the LDS faith is a mainstream Christian faith, your perception seems to betray a deep seated derangement against Romney that you are suffering from.

csdeven on December 16, 2011 at 12:59 PM

dczombie on December 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I can see the day when Perry is describing how he is going to fix the US economy. The problem is that he will be doing it from Texas while President Romney is actually fixing America using the same skills he used to make 1000′s of jobs while working at Bain.

csdeven on December 16, 2011 at 1:02 PM

anotherJoe on December 16, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I doubt Perry can make any inroads on young Ron Paul supporters, legalizing drugs or not. He can try but he must walk a careful line with it. Maybe allowing states to decide on legalizing drugs but outlawing giving government welfare cash to anyone on MJ, etc.

ZGMF_Freedom on December 16, 2011 at 1:07 PM

ZGMF_Freedom on December 16, 2011 at 1:07 PM

In a sense, you hit it on the head. Yes, govt would be cut seriously in a serious libertarian slash, and to a degree voters might see an exchange or trade-off (drugs legal up to states, but less gov $). I think in terms of a BIG change.

anotherJoe on December 16, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I forgot to mention: Paul supporters are just one part of a conceived much bigger 50%+ coalition, and traditional Christian values (end political correctness) are part it. So a coalition of MOST repubs, most indies, and some Reagan dems + some liberals.

anotherJoe on December 16, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Like Newt said last night– we need to choose someone with strong values and big ideas, not choose someone based on their electability. If we were doing that, I don’t think anyone in the field could really be our nominee. I think Perry’s got the strongest ideas. That’s my opinion :)

-Bethany

NextGenerationVoters on December 16, 2011 at 1:23 PM

louisianapatriette on December 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Hate to break it to you, but it wasn’t anti-Christian bigots or any other kind of bigot that did Perry in. Doofus Perry did himself in with his utterly embarrassing lack of preparedness, his obvious inability to communicate verbally, his pro-illegal alien amnesty and anti-border fence positions, etc. After his much-heralded debut last summer, Perry flopped more spectacularly than Fred Thompson did a few years ago. I actually feel sorry for Perry. I bet you he would love to just get out of this whole thing ASAP, now that he has been exposed as the emperor with no clothes. How sad that he has taken all these people’s money to run for an office that, I bet, he doesn’t truly want to hold and was pushed into seeking. Has there ever been a more embarrassing, cringe-worthy candidate for President than Rick Perry? Cain comes close to winning the prize, but I still think Perry holds that distinction.

I find it absolutely disgusting the way the Perry campaign (or, at least, as Anita Perry did a few months ago) tries to blame Perry’s bad press on his faith. This is pathetic, desperate pandering. Perry’s weak, telling response to one of his allies making bigoted comments about Romney told me a lot about Rick Perry.

Perry is a stinker of a candidate. His supporters are trying to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear with Perry. Frankly, I’m a little surprised this man was even able to be elected governor of a large state. Apparently he never had to run a difficult race against a Democrat with a good chance of winning.

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Of course Newt would say that… because Newt would have very little chance of beating Obama! Why do you think the Dems are cheering on Newt. I hope the majority of Republican primary voters are not like you. Otherwise, we’re going to have Obama for another 4 years.

The ability to beat Obama is objective #1! Let’s stop living in fantasyland.

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM

-Bethany

Bethany, I actually see electability chances as possibly higher! We would all get deep into the mother of all political fights, where money and passion would be high. “Good” vs the huge govt / political correctness beast that has insinuated itself into society.

About leaving drugs to the states. You might think that that just wouldn’t jive with those with traditional values, but I think it might. We’ve heard the arguments on drugs. But briefly, I say this is a war that has been lost, time to “go home.” It could be sold as such.

Throwing the drug issue into the pot could allow victory. Anyway, it appears that it (leaving it to the states) is already Perry’s position, or at least he is open to it.

anotherJoe on December 16, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Anyway, I was just theorizing about the issue, really. I don’t think I’m on to anything. I’m going to stick with Newt as that seems to make the most sense.

anotherJoe on December 16, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I love reading morons calling Perry stupid, dumb or doofus. Talk about hypocrisy. For those Newt Romney folks as much as you hate the truth let’s look at some facts.

#1 job creation record Rick Perry (Romney ranked 47th during a good economy, Newt ??? No executive experience)
#1 economy in America Rick Perry (Romney cost Massachusetts tens of thousands of jobs and billions in deficits with his healthcare, cap and trade and fees and tax policies. Newt ??? No executive experience)
#1 state for population growth Rick Perry (Romney lost both population and businesses. Newt??? No executive.experience)

Rick Perry has won 8 straight elections including Lt Governor and 3 times as governor.
Romney lost in 1994 to Ted Kennedy , left the governors mansion after a single term with a 34% approval rating and lost in 2008 to John Mccain who went on to lose to Obama.
Newt after 20 years in congress he was humiliated into stepping down from the speakership and retiring from congress. Newt is still #1 on the congressional worst offenders list with his $300,000.00 fine for corruption and ethics violations.

Rick Perry eagle scout (not an easy accomplishment) and air force veteran.
Mitt Romney served his faith over seas (his words)?????
Newt dodged service in Vietnam applying repeatedly for waivers.

Rick Perry son of poor tenant farmers who pulled himself up by his own bootstraps. Graduated Texas A&M (a prestigious school) became an air force pilot (really easy to do for a moron right) and the most successful conservative governor in contemporary America.
Romney born 1% used daddy’s money to become a vulture capitalist. Spent his time buying up companies other had started and making them more profitable by off shoring their manufacturing and service jobs.
Newt also from modest though middle class beginnings spent 20 years as a congressman. After his humiliation for ethics violations he went on to become a professional influence broker a lobbyist in simple terms though he denies this.
So for me the choice is very easy to make.
Option A) Rick Perry an honorable self made successful leader with a proven record of accomplishments.
Option B) Mitt Romney a spoiled aristocrat and failed governor who used his inheritance to enrich himself by using Chinese slave labor to undercut his competitors prices.
Option C) Newt Gingrich a morally bankrupt career corupticrat who has made his living saying one thing and doing another.
I will take option A.

iidvbii on December 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM

What was it that Rick said about the 10th Amendment being in the Bill of Rights? I’ll have to listen to it again. If that’s what he said, ummm, wrong.
stenwin77 on December 16, 2011 at 6:59 AM

Oh, dear, stenwin! Your hatred of Perry has clouded your knowledge of history. The Bill of Rights is the first TEN Amendments to the Constitution — that, um, includes the 10th. Oh, dear.

Aslans Girl on December 16, 2011 at 6:16 PM