New Rick Perry ad returns to the topic of the economy

posted at 12:50 pm on December 15, 2011 by Tina Korbe

I confess: I really want to see Rick Perry mount a comeback just so folks will start to use the Twitter hashtag #RickRolling (h/t Ben Shapiro). His debate performance last week — and this latest ad — make me think it’s still possible. Much rides on tonight — but, if he does well again, then he stands to finish reasonably well in Iowa, where his recent emphasis on social issues at least won’t be a turnoff. Who knows what will happen from there?

No matter what, this ad makes sense for Perry, whose strength has always been his jobs record. For whatever reason, he’s had a difficult time conveying that he was a crucial component of the jobs growth in Texas. He needs to remind voters at every opportunity that he did carefully cultivate a business-friendly environment in the Lone Star State and can consequently claim at least a little of the credit for the state’s economic success, even if the bulk of it came from the courage and vision of the entrepreneurs who responded to the incentives Perry established.

That said, Perry’s new emphasis on his “outsider” status is less effective than he seems to think. Yes, he exudes a cowboy conservatism that ought to appeal to rugged individualists in a way Newt Gingrich’s technocratic conservatism and Mitt Romney’s pragmatic conservatism don’t. But he’s still a career politician. Better to stick to his tagline of “making Washington as inconsequential as possible.” That conveys the notion that he does understand some minimal level of governance is required even for a free society — and that he understands that, as president, he’d need to be able to survive and thrive from inside the D.C. swamp. Plus, “making Washington as inconsequential as possible” provides a direct contrast to Barack Obama’s “bigger government is better government” message — and it does that without making an overt point of focusing on Obama, as though he thinks he’s somehow above the fray of the primary (an image both Romney and Gingrich have tried to cultivate at different times to differing degrees of success).

Perry still has much to prove — and concerns about his electability are understandable — but a comeback isn’t out of the question.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Dr. dudette, do you really think idiotdesign has gone over to Newt?

There is a thread about Newts new ad, did she write Go NEWT! over there? No.

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 2:27 PM

LOL

Check out the Rudy thread….

Sorry about getting you all wee weed up…LOL

***Go Newt***

idesign on December 15, 2011 at 2:36 PM

idesign on December 15, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Troll FAIL

The Sharia Myth Smear was debunked months ago leaving EGG on Geller and Spencer’s faces in a flamewar.

and again here:

Everything else you listed had no effect on Texans.

But keep buying those Alex Jones books to keep you company in your bunker.

workingclass artist on December 15, 2011 at 2:38 PM

He’s an intolerant bigot. I certainly hope he doesn’t mount a comeback.

HardwoodBottom on December 15, 2011 at 2:41 PM

workingclass artist on December 15, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Perry’s record of crony capitalism.

idesign on December 15, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Most people don’t realize that Texas is actually quite beautiful.

bitsy on December 15, 2011 at 2:36 PM

That did it! You let the cat out of the bag. There’s gonna’ be kinds of yankees coming down here for the winter…wait, never mind. Somebody let that cat out long ago.

He’s an intolerant bigot. I certainly hope he doesn’t mount a comeback.

HardwoodBottom on December 15, 2011 at 2:41 PM

chupachudi, is that you? Did you bring your racist rock?

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Numerous crass comments in here. Seems folks would try to put that to bed. Sound like Kos kids.

eaglesdontflock on December 15, 2011 at 2:48 PM

He’s an intolerant bigot. I certainly hope he doesn’t mount a comeback.

HardwoodBottom on December 15, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I don’t think I would go that far. But I do like your nickname LOL

nyclakerfan on December 15, 2011 at 2:48 PM

workingclass artist on December 15, 2011 at 2:38 PM

elaborate on workinclass artist…

just interested because that’s what I do.

idesign on December 15, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Horace on December 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I saw a comment in another thread about you, something along the line of, great comments don’t worry people just aren’t getting you humor.

I understand the not getting your humor part.

Bmore on December 15, 2011 at 2:51 PM

I think this has been part of the plan since day one – I think the “Opps” moment set ‘em back a tad – but the play was always for the social cons. I remember that 2006 documentary …So Goes the Nation…it’s the evangelicals, the Social Cons that are as adamant about voting as a Black Panther is about intimidating at a polling place. They’re the ground work and now he’s back to where we can grab independents with jobs. His “faith” reminder gave him five points in the polls, hopefully this will push him up in finishing well in Iowa.

Also, you can’t base the mood of the nation on Glee’s ratings. See, I think there’s far more people exasperated with news story after new story of the political correctness of Christmas and atheists getting their Bill Mahr panties in a wad over the nativity at a City Hall than Perry blunt use of the word “gay.”

Remember in a head to head match between Perry and Obama when there names are side by side on a ballot, the only question isn’t is Perry going to make us into Iran and “hang them gays,” but I’m I better off than four years ago.

Conger on December 15, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Just a wee sample txann just for quality control

cmsinaz on December 15, 2011 at 2:54 PM

elaborate on workinclass artist…

just interested because that’s what I do.

idesign on December 15, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Careful, remember the Obama request for righty information.

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Dr. Evil
Tell my four grown children how “gay” I am. Snort!

Do you name your boots, too?

Horace on December 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I see you are being, as always, extremely gracious today.

Bmore on December 15, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Conger on December 15, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Can you base it on polling?

Perry committed general election suicide with that ad. Thankfully.

HardwoodBottom on December 15, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Careful, remember the Obama request for righty information.

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 2:56 PM

They are allready tracking me…..

Hi idesign

Re-Elect Obama 2012 is now following your activity on Disqus.

Check out Re-Elect Obama 2012′s Disqus profile at: http://disqus.com/disqusgoogle/

If you’d like, click the “Follow” button to have Re-Elect Obama 2012′s activity appear in your dashboard.

Thanks,
The Disqus Team

idesign on December 15, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I see you are being, as always, extremely gracious today.

Bmore on December 15, 2011 at 3:01 PM

That’s me, savin’ good townsfolk from nutballs since the beginning.

Do you name your boots, too?

Horace on December 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Doesn’t everybody?

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Dr. Evil
Tell my four grown children how “gay” I am. Snort!

Do you name your boots, too?

Horace on December 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Horace, I was pointing out men use gardasil too, you know it’s not just for women.
If you click on the link that’s the male demographic that has availed themselves of the vaccine in numbers.

Read my comment over where did it state you were gay? Still nice to know what size needle works on you :)

Dr Evil on December 15, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Needling Horace is fun, but he’s not very good at covering his flanks.

Newbies once you bite – the lure that works is noted for future reference.

Dr Evil on December 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Dr Evil on December 15, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Bad doc, bad, bad.

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Rick Perry has been underestimated before and emerged victorious — even against an old fighter like Karl Rove. Perry just keeps getting steadily better as he calibrates his Texas persona for a national audience. Gov. Perry has an unmatched record of job creation and the most substantive reform platform of all the candidates. He is a true leader who inspires supporters with his bold ideas, unwavering principles and strong moral character. Presidential leadership should NOT be defined solely by the ability to respond to complexity in a sixty-second sound bite. Resilience, moral courage, and grace under fire, are far more important character traits for America’s Commander in Chief.A genuine sense of humor, and humility, are also helpful. He is the only candidate I truly want to vote for. If he runs with Marco Rubio, the Electoral College map will be a sea of red with a couple of tiny blue dots. I look forward to voting for him in 2012.

nancysabet on December 15, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Dr Evil on December 15, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Bad doc, bad, bad.

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Well I am Eviiiilllll.

Dr Evil on December 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Dr Evil on December 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM

You’ve been fairly nice to the nutballs for a while now.

But, with that zinger, you are forgiven.

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 3:39 PM

HardwoodBottom on December 15, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Perry committed general election suicide with that ad. Thankfully.

Once again, is the election now going to be about gay rights, or is it still about jobs and the economy?

PseudoRandom on December 15, 2011 at 3:43 PM

PseudoRandom on December 15, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Its about Hardwood’s bottom.

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 4:20 PM

workingclass artist on December 15, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Dude… I know. It’s not the size of followers that counts, it’s… uh… something something Texas.

Dr Evil on December 15, 2011 at 1:48 PM

What is this, Redstate?

DanStark on December 15, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Perry! Perry!

gophergirl on December 15, 2011 at 5:08 PM

What is this, Redstate?

DanStark on December 15, 2011 at 4:37 PM

What, you nutballs don’t like being called out over there either.

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM

He lost me with his gays in the military comment in his last ad.

cjv209 on December 15, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Wow, that is just a disgusting add. Anyone think Perry will sign less than $2T in new deficit spending in the four years of his hypothetical presidency? Low ball is the $2T.

Perry “plans to create jobs and overhaul Washington with a part time congress”

How many lies is there in that statement? First lie, create jobs. Unless he is expanding government he is not creating jobs. Unless he is using cronyism, he is not creating jobs. Second lie, a part time congress. Really? He plans to do that with a part time congress for which he has absolute 0 control over as president, other than to call for special extra time in session?

Man, they way his supporters are talking, this is some kind of great advertisement. Looks like bilge water to me.

astonerii on December 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM

After his last phenomonally retarded ad, maybe he gets it now. It’d the economy, stupid.

mythicknight on December 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Wow, that is just a disgusting add.
astonerii on December 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Wow, now you can predict the future!

Who’s gonna’ win the Superbowl?

Who’s gonna’ win the election?

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Wow, now you can predict the future!

Who’s gonna’ win the Superbowl?

Who’s gonna’ win the election?

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Superbowl? Dodgers.
Election? No one.

astonerii on December 15, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Perry 2012: This time, it’s personal oops, um I forget what it is.

lorien1973 on December 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Wow. So original./

NbyNW on December 15, 2011 at 6:48 PM

I was on the Perry train. 100%. I was on it right through oops-gate, and right now I’ll still support him gladly if he’s the nominee.

But that gay-ad, much as you might not like to hear it, makes him close to unelectable in the general. It may play well here, but it sounds nasty and mean-spirited to anyone who isn’t an evangelical conservative. There were better ways to make that point.

Johnimus on December 15, 2011 at 12:55 PM

My husband and I aren’t anywhere close to evangelicals, and we liked it. It’s spot on about the double standards of today.

NbyNW on December 15, 2011 at 6:51 PM

What is this, Redstate?

DanStark on December 15, 2011 at 4:37 PM

This is Hot Gas, try and keep up.

Dr Evil on December 15, 2011 at 6:52 PM

He’s an intolerant bigot. I certainly hope he doesn’t mount a comeback.

HardwoodBottom on December 15, 2011 at 2:41 PM

One of the dumbest things ever said on the topic, which is saying a lot.

Citizen-003528 on December 15, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Gotta get the margaritas ready for tonight

Let’s go Perry!

cmsinaz on December 15, 2011 at 1:52 PM

14 Hands Merlot for me, in honor of the former Agriculture Commissioner.

NbyNW on December 15, 2011 at 7:03 PM

This is Hot Gas, try and keep up.

Dr Evil on December 15, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Haha, sorry, I forgot.

DanStark on December 15, 2011 at 7:04 PM

He lost me with his gays in the military comment in his last ad.

cjv209 on December 15, 2011 at 5:23 PM

You mean, “gays can serve openly in the military”?

Yeah, that kind of flat-out factual statement cannot be tolerated. Get the torches and the pitchforks.

capitalist piglet on December 15, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Bmore

I don’t care in even the slightest, most microscopic degree possible what you or anyone else “gets” or doesn’t “get” when it comes to what I put in my posts on this site.

Dr.Evil

See message to Bmore above. Muchos Groucho.

Horace on December 15, 2011 at 7:07 PM

One of the dumbest things ever said on the topic, which is saying a lot.

Citizen-003528 on December 15, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Oh, heck, just wait ’til chupachudi brings in the racist rock.

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 7:09 PM

If Rick Perry is dumb with this record I would argue we need a dumb president. We have has Barrack “the super genius” Obama for three years, how has that worked out for ya?

Forrest Gump Rick Perry 2012…. Run Rick run….

iidvbii on December 15, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Love it!

NbyNW on December 15, 2011 at 7:11 PM

NbyNW on December 15, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Thank you.

I am an evangelical, but I try to be intellectually honest about what others might think about these things. It’s good to know.

If we are so far gone as a country that you cannot even mention the FACT that DADT was repealed because saying so out loud is not politically correct – and people completely miss the point of the ad (that Christians are being treated as bad and dangerous while other groups enjoy greater and greater acceptance) – then none of this matters anyway, because we are so lost we’ll never find our way back.

capitalist piglet on December 15, 2011 at 7:13 PM

astonerii on December 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM

And if Perry walked on water, you’d say he couldn’t swim. The way you spam every thread with dishonest anti-Perry propaganda, one might get the feeling he once took your lunch money or your date or something.

capitalist piglet on December 15, 2011 at 7:20 PM

capitalist piglet on December 15, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Its when the nutballs disappear, you want to start to worry.

Their nutball rants show who they fear.

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 7:24 PM

nancysabet on December 15, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Well said.

Common Sense on December 15, 2011 at 7:27 PM

astonerii on December 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM

capitalist piglet on December 15, 2011 at 7:20 PM

I usually skip astonerii’s posts. Life’s too short.

NbyNW on December 15, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Horace on December 15, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Such bravado, must have hit a nerve. If you do not wish to engage in conversation, why do you bother? Do you just like the sound your keyboard makes while you talk to yourself?

“A portion of mankind take pride in their vices and pursue their purpose; many more waver between doing what is right and complying with what is wrong.”

“I never think at all when I write. Nobody can do two things at the same time and do them both well.”

Bmore on December 15, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Bmore on December 15, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Ah, so that explains it.
If you’re gonna’ leave them openings, somebody is gonna’ take them.

Better me than one of the nutballs.

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I want the opening. Thanks

Bmore on December 15, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I don’t like the direction that our Country is headed.

Perry feels the same way. Is he perfect? Nope, me either.

Does he have the most experience as a governor of all the

GOP field ? Yup.

Do I think that the fact we are becoming a less religious

country account for a lot of our problems ? Yup, so does Perry.

It’s difficult not to root for him, tho his chances may be slim

at this point. We need an anti-Obama, not a go-along, get along.

amadan on December 15, 2011 at 8:04 PM

cozmo on December 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I don’t think Horace is coming back. The jig is up anyway. It was going to take a few exchanges to play out. This was intended as an opening salvo. Recognize the quotes?

Bmore on December 15, 2011 at 8:27 PM

capitalist piglet on December 15, 2011 at 7:20 PM

What exactly is that argument? Does it make sense to you that a personal attack on me such as that is some way to counter what I said?
What exactly is that argument? What bearing does it have on anything. You make an accusation and then turn to ridicule? Are you even old enough to vote?

astonerii on December 15, 2011 at 8:29 PM

As an old ” newbie” as opposed to a new “newbie”
I must admit that there a lot of new imbeciles
on this site now. See what happens when you open the borders
with no legal authority present. Hot Air Border Patrol????

amadan on December 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM

To take both sides. I’m open because Perry has a powerful short pointed message that fits the times: “I’m the outsider that’s going to overhaul [and cut] govt” + ~ end political correctness!

But immigration. Won’t support E-Verify. And in his own words “[after something]… and then we can have a legitimate conversation about immigration reform [amnesty?}.” If Perry can do something dramatic to allay our concerns, he could just win.

anotherJoe on December 15, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Besides cozmo you have honed the quick kill into an art form and it is a beautiful thing to witness. I would never try to, or want to replace you. I want to see if I can make them invest a huge amount of time and effort. It may not work, but I want to try to find my way to contribute to the kills. My own little niche. For the record I don’t think that particular fellow will last long here. So I thought I would get some practice in with him before trying the intelligent ones. You will always be the master, I just hope to help mop up from time to time.

Bmore on December 15, 2011 at 8:46 PM

You mean, “gays can serve openly in the military”?

capitalist piglet on December 15, 2011 at 7:05 PM

QFT

cptacek on December 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Bmore

I couldn’t care less whether I am engaged in conversation. I post my opinions and let it go at that. I love the sound of my keyboard and talking out loud to myself while typing is of a much higher intellectual level than any conversation with you could ever be.

Your insults and snarks are meaningless to me. But, if they fill your time between dosages of medication, keep at it. I’m pullin’ for ya – I hope this time around the meds work.

Wow! My keyboard sounds great tonight! Horace to Horace, “Keep at it, Horace.” “OK,” Horace replies. HaHaHaHaHaHa!

Horace on December 15, 2011 at 9:54 PM

National Review is in the tank for Romney. What a petty shameful false caricature of Newt on the cover of NR.

anotherJoe on December 15, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Risk: Romney will be a John Anderson type president.

anotherJoe on December 15, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Horace on December 15, 2011 at 9:54 PM

You made it back. My mistake to think you were here to do anything other then throw up on the place.You’re right again, we could never hold a serious conversation about anything I suspect, you would in fact have to have an interest in enjoying the fellowship many here enjoy with one another. I do have to disagree with you on one of your points, “Your insults and snarks are meaningless to me.”why sure they are, you replied. You are again correct, there is medicine involved here, thanks for you’re concern. Did you at least get the quotes I left for you. I hope you enjoyed them. Talk soon?

Bmore on December 15, 2011 at 11:19 PM

What’s with all these HotAir Perry articles, seemingly hoping that Perry might, maybe, possibly still be able to pull it off? The theme seems to be, if only the Perry followers hope enough, then maybe Perry can become a new person before Jan and convince people he isn’t the incompetent buffoon that he has shown himself to be in the campaign thus far?

People, what more does Rick Perry need to do to show you all that he has no business running for president? Shouldn’t the ability to speak English coherently be one of your requirements for those running for president? It’s not like many of his positions are wildly different from others running (though Perry does want illegal alien amnesty and opposes the border fence).

bluegill on December 16, 2011 at 11:24 AM