American Crossroads ad shows clear path to electoral victory for the GOP

posted at 4:55 pm on December 15, 2011 by Tina Korbe

This ad is clearly intended to be a “yes, we can” kind of message to anyone who wants to oust Obama in 2012. It features a candid Karl Rove reminding viewers that the 2012 elections are especially important, emphasizing that Obama needs to go and exhorting voters to “get this done.”

But the ad is also a little ominous, as it highlights the remarkable spending advantage Obama had over John McCain in 2008 — and concretely connects that advantage to his triumphs in certain traditionally Republican states (I’m looking at you, Virginia) and key swing states. The spot calls attention to the little pin that could puncture every inflated hope of the GOP: Campaigns — and how they’re conducted — matter. In many ways, money is the animating force of elections.

Sure, we can point to Newt Gingrich’s rise in the Republican primaries as evidence that a candidate with poor organization and practically-empty campaign coffers can overcome better-organized and better-funded candidates. But we ignore organization — and we ignore campaign cash — at our own peril.

In 2008, we elected a true Campaigner-in-Chief. He does so little else well, but, this, he somehow has mastered. He’s got Chicago in his blood. He’s got a “you gotta do what you gotta do” mentality. And, this time, he hasn’t had to deplete his resources fighting a vicious primary. His team has saved all its vitriol, all its vitality, all its vision for the general. The mainstream media will help him in ways they haven’t helped Romney or Gingrich or Perry — in ways they certainly won’t help the GOP candidate, whoever he (or she) turns out to be. If they’ll shove Bill Ayers and Jeremiah Wright to the sidelines, if they’ll bury Fast and Furious and Solyndra far beneath the surface, they’ll convert his economic record into a plea for patience and his every gaffe into charming evidence of the president’s humanity.

Rove runs through the list of Obama’s waning support. His approval is down with young voters, with Hispanics, with Midwesterners. But, even as Obama attempts to shore up the base with populist rhetoric aimed at the middle class, we have evidence that his team is prepared to do without the middle class vote. They’ve got a coalition of diehards — and, yes, they’ll need independents, but, well, that’s what money will buy. Maybe that’s crass and cynical to suggest independents are for sale — but, when it comes time to actually make a decision, voters who are undecided will look to campaign materials, to advertisements, to debates. All of that will work to Obama’s advantage.

The ad shows a clear path to electoral victory for the GOP — but it depends on precision. It requires conservatives, as the saying goes, to play chess instead of checkers. Every Obama claim must be countered with his inescapable record. For if any part of this ad is unequivocally hopeful, it is this sentence, “He can’t run on his record. What’s he going to say – ‘Vote for me because of the failed stimulus, all those deficits I piled up and a health care bill you hate?’”

Comments

Rove.

Akzed on December 15, 2011 at 4:57 PM

There are 60 states, Tina. He had been to 57 states, had 2 to go, and his campaign would not let him go to Alaska. That’s 60.

;)

stvnscott on December 15, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I’ve never understood, what is the electoral vote breakdown of the other 8 states? 0 votes for Utopia and 0 votes for Erehwon…

Axeman on December 15, 2011 at 4:58 PM

The Obama re-election strategy: Pretend he hasn’t been president yet.

Chip on December 15, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Awww, still no Pacific Coast states for the GOP candidate?

The Nerve on December 15, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Good ad, Karl. Now if you could just shut the h3ll up about our candidates and stop being unhelpful.

Thank you.

HopeHeFails on December 15, 2011 at 5:01 PM

For all the talk of “electability” of this field, I only see the SCoaMF winning 7, maybe 8 states. Most of the Northeast, California, Hawaii, and, and….

I still think we’re looking at a Carteresque takedown of this guy next year.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on December 15, 2011 at 5:02 PM

It doesn’t matter, Obama’s calculating calculators already have this electoral thing figured out. They only need a few percentage points in a few swing states and they’re in.

Skandia Recluse on December 15, 2011 at 5:04 PM

And McCain Mittens is the man to do it!! I have total confidence the ex governor or Massachusetts and architect of Obamacare is the perfect candidate to take on Obama and counter Obama’s record.

I can see the debates now:

Romney: Your policy on health care is bad

Obama: My policy is the exact same as yours, in fact I was inspired by what you did and copied it exactly.

Romney: Yea well, your policy on illegal immigration is bad

Obama: My policy is the exact as yours

Romney: Yea well your policy on global warming is bad

Obama: Is there an echo in here? It’s the exact same as yours Mitt

Romney: In conclusion, vote for me because while I am a carbon copy of Obama, I am also a white middle aged guy with more money than I know what to do with. And that’s much better than re-electing the first black president.

angryed on December 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I still think we’re looking at a Carteresque takedown of this guy next year.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on December 15, 2011 at 5:02 PM

May I borrow some of you happy pills?

angryed on December 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Karl Rove. Ughh

sharrukin on December 15, 2011 at 5:06 PM

This is a great ad.

aquaviva on December 15, 2011 at 5:07 PM

angryed on December 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM

lol

We have the same nightmare. How weird.

Oh, and “Carbon” is racist/

29Victor on December 15, 2011 at 5:08 PM

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on December 15, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Yeah, Carter had just a sparse swath of states across the nation.

The Nerve on December 15, 2011 at 5:08 PM

HopeHeFails on December 15, 2011 at 5:01 PM

amen

29Victor on December 15, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Staring down the entire state of VA == Allahpundit influence :)

Axe on December 15, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Maybe I’m too optomistic, but I think OR and WA could be battlegrounds next year considering a very popular state GOPer is running for guv in WA, and the dems in OR have messed everything up.

ConservativePartyNow on December 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Karl Rove _____________ !

celtic warrior on December 15, 2011 at 5:10 PM

And I would listen to Rove why???? Oh that’s right, he ran campaigns for GWB twice against real douchebags and nearly lost both!

Yeah, I care about his strategy.

Johnny Alamo on December 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM

angryed on December 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM

“And I pooped in a bucket.”

davidk on December 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Any Republican is better than Obama. That is the bottom line and must be the attitude. If we don’t rid ourselves of Obama, our country is sunk, period.

stefano1 on December 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I see the hand of Karl Rove behind this ad.

Dead Sea Squirrel on December 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM

and the dems in OR have messed everything up.

ConservativePartyNow on December 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Just OR?

davidk on December 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Come on guys, we know he was tired when he said “57 states”. He really meant 55.

Sammo21 on December 15, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Blah, Rove. Can we just go ahead and feed him to Code Pink already?

robertlbryant on December 15, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Tina –

+eleventy!

Laura in Maryland on December 15, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Jimmy Carter had more money than Ronald Reagan. Who prevailed there?

paulsur on December 15, 2011 at 5:15 PM

After 8 years of Bush and his disasterous policies why is anybody taking the political advice of Karl Rove? Yo someone get this creepy clown outta here. Uncle Creepy, that’s his name.

apocalypse on December 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM

My home state of Ohio makes me nervous ever since the dumb electorate voted to overturn the union busting bill. The outcome of that election was so schizophrenic – affirmed the hate of the Obamacare mandate, and also affirmed the choke hold of the unions.

tdpwells on December 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM

States Obama will carry once again:

State of Confusion
State of Ignorance
State of Gullibility

fogw on December 15, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I’m no expert, but Rove has always seemed like a “precision” or wedge guy whose idea is to say the least and chip off enough votes from every demographic to win. Then start a bunch of new entitlements to keep the rubes happy. W’s elections were thus real squeakers. (Ask Gore!)

My Christmas list consists of one thing: that some true fiscal and foreign policy conservative comes back from the dead campaigns with passion and with no apologies to anyone, and we win.

PattyJ on December 15, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Karl Rove & Mitt Romney > you

apocalypse on December 15, 2011 at 5:18 PM

You may not like Rove, but hard not to respect him. How many ‘architects’ have engineered back to back Presidential wins? Yes, Kerry was a turd – but he was ahead in the polls (shows you what they’re worth) on Election Day. And Gore was basically promising Clinton III at a time of peace, prosperity and budget surpluses. Credit where it’s due …

ombdz on December 15, 2011 at 5:19 PM

paulsur on December 15, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Last I read, Obama’s not getting near a billion dollars…

The Nerve on December 15, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Not only does the repub have to play chess, he can’t denigrate his opponent by pointing out the obvious…like his written desire to embrace marxism, his youthful disdain for whites, his total lack of experience beyond community organizing, his years pushing for the CRA, his involvement in who knows how many crony deals that undoubtedly helped fill his campaign coffers, where his Connecticut indexed social security number came from, how his relatives are in the country illegally, the true story of his “small donor list”, how his wife was paid over $350k for a position that has gone unfilled since she left it, why his running buddies from Chicago are ending up in Illinois prisons…

DanMan on December 15, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Even if the Emperor ALLOWS an election in 2012, he will win unless the Republicans actually field a viable candidate. So far, only Bachmann and Paul show any intestinal fortitude. Maybe a Bachmann/Paul or Paul/Bachmann ticket would work. The current front-runners are a guarantee to give the presidency back to Obama. The Republican party will probably not support their own candidate after the primaries.

It is my conviction that Republicans/Democrats are merely playing good cop/bad cop and are actually on the same team focused on the same goal…total subjugation of the American people. The way things are going, they may as well drop the facade… we are a heartbeat away from Martial law and total suspension of the American philosophy. The only thing that might save us is WW III (or invaders from outer space). Avoiding extinction of the true American is nearing the point of inevitability.

xmanvietnam on December 15, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Good Video But,

A vile human being, he let GWB hang in the wind and get savaged by the media, he lost us seats in 2006. he is why I hate establishment candidates. all he does is spin poll numbers to get his big head on T.V

Im convinced the establishment wants to lose this election they have no interest in shrinking government I mean does anyone honestly think Romney will shrink government.

Karl Rove is weak, and let conservatism get highjacked by Independents who are probably conservative if we had a good messenger.

boogaleesnots on December 15, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I got a call from my best friend the other day. Like most of the state, she’s a dem. She was miffed at how Hillary was treated last go ’round and aghast at how antisemtic the current administration has been. She absolutely did not want to vote for O.

She asked about who I had on my side that she could vote for. I was at a loss for words. As long as we don’t have a complete loon on the ticket (I’m looking at your crazy ass, Ron) we might just win.

Laura in Maryland on December 15, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Sammo21 on December 15, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I’m getting confused.

English States, right?

How many?

Texas … Louisiana Purchase … Wyoming … New England …

Axe on December 15, 2011 at 5:22 PM

stefano1 on December 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Exactly right!

cicerone on December 15, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Good ad. I think that it is sad that the man with the most money normally wins. What does that say about an “informed electorate”? It’s all show business. Sad.

Kaffa on December 15, 2011 at 5:25 PM

As beautiful as that map looks. You know we will screw up somewhere.

earlgrey133 on December 15, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I am here in Ohio also and I am worried too.Counties are paying the price now,Maybe people will wake-up.I don’t know there sure are alot of uninformed people!

lisa fox on December 15, 2011 at 5:26 PM

You may not like Rove, but hard not to respect him.

Actually its very easy to not respect him.

ombdz on December 15, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Kerry and Gore were incredibly lame candidates and the ‘genius’ Rove barely pulled a squeaker with both.

sharrukin on December 15, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Obama can spend a gazillion dollars and won’t win, cause the shine has worn off. Let’s face it eleventy bazallion people voted for him because he was cool and different and half black. He made vague promises about change that most rationale adults knew would never happen and more importantly he was considered an outsider. That is all he needed to win in 2008. But this isn’t 2008, and unemployment is over 8%.

Johnnyreb on December 15, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Everytime I hear this sort of rah-rah speech from someone like Rove, Boehner, Cantor, etc…, all I can think about is that you wouldn’t be in this position if it wasn’t for the Tea Party.

Yet, time after time, you go out of your way to marginalize us and our candidates. None of you stood up for Sarah Palin as she was savaged by the left and right and many of you joined in on the attacks. So, why should I give my hard earned money to you to spend? I will send it directly to the candidates of my choice thank you very much.

usa.jingoist on December 15, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I like the map…and Rove’s tactics are elementary compared to the Chicago style politics our nominee will face. Give me Rove any day of the week.

Be positive and stop all of the hatred directed towards people who want to defeat Obama.

Obviously, many on this site don’t want to defeat Obama. Give you somethin’ to complain about for 4 more years.

The rest of us understand the destruction Obama and his Dems’ buddies have done already. He’ll finish his ‘transformation’ if he wins. And Obamacare hasn’t kicked it yet…just wait…

Redford on December 15, 2011 at 5:30 PM

they’ll need independents, but, well, that’s what money will buy

Last time, Independents were wooed with the lie that Barry was neither Red nor Blue. I doubt they’ll buy into that again.

The 2008 election was lost because of the ‘conservatives’ who were pissed off and stayed home, and the Independents who bought Barry’s lie.

Question is, will either group be that stupid a second time?

GarandFan on December 15, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Great ad, just wish they would have had someone other than Rove in it.

Scrappy on December 15, 2011 at 5:33 PM

We’ve gotta win all 57 states!

Does that include Puerto Rico and D.C.?

listens2glenn on December 15, 2011 at 5:39 PM

As has been commonly said, even a turnip could beat Obama in 2012.

The big question is: can the R’s manage to nominate someone as or more appealing than a turnip?

[Did those ex-Bushies ever consider that perhaps they wouldn't have needed to form an organization named "American Crossroads" after their crack at governing for eight years ... had they governed conservatively and not spent like FDR and LBJ -- only to be (fortunately for them) outdone in short order by an order of magnitude by Obama?]

ShainS on December 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I liked the ad…
except for this…
“But we got a far more liberal, far more ideological President than we could have ever imagined.”

Come on, he’s exactly what I imagined and most people who looked at his record knew also. I was only wrong about him in one area. I thought he would attempt to outlaw guns because that’s the first step of any Marxist dictator. Fast and Furious was a part of that step, thank God it was found out. I just wish it wouldn’t have had taken the lives of innocents to find it out.

I think this is a good synopsis of what was known…

DanMan on December 15, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I would also add to that list his voting record as an elected official in Illinois. What moral person could vote “present” when it comes to protecting the lives of innocent babies BORN due to a botched abortion?

Zooid on December 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I am strongly opposed to the RINO Republican establishment, but I agree with what Rove says in the ad, and I agree with Tina’s comments about the need for us to open our wallets. I will try to help accomplish the goals of increasing Republican representation in congress and winning the White House by making contributions to selected candidates in whom I have confidence. I’m not going to send any money to any Republican organization.

GaltBlvnAtty on December 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM

They didn’t figure in the MEDIA!

KOOLAID2 on December 15, 2011 at 5:50 PM

sharrukin on December 15, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Gore and Kerry were lame…but let’s not kid ourselves, Bush was not uber-awesome.

Rove saw first hand how hard it was to beat Gore and Kerry, and we know that Obama is a much better candidate than either of them. How anyone compares the political skills or general likability of Obama to Goldwater/McGovern/Carter/Mondale/Dukakis is blinded by ideology. Yeah, he sucks as president, but he does not suck at campaigning.

Expecting a landslide win for us this cycle is lunacy.

BocaJuniors on December 15, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Karl,
I’ll start helping out the RNC, just as soon as the RNC backs recalls for “Republicans” like Snowe and others of similar character. What is the point of backing a party that doesn’t stand on its own principals. Sure, I’ll vote to get Obama out, but I’m really really getting tired of these lame “electable” choices “smart” people like yourself keep putting forward.

LoganSix on December 15, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Nice idea for the ad, but Rove’s a terrible presenter. Boring voice, uneven diction, unattractive, and doesn’t know what to do with his hands. Shoulda paid someone else to do it.

Also, a couple of pet bugaboos on the narrative:

“We say it every election, but this time it’s true. 2012 is the most important election in 100 years.”

He’s right; that has been said every election since at least 1984. So why should we believe it this time? Apparently, he thinks we’re stooopid.

“America’s future is literally at stake.”

Literally? Literally? (rolls eyes)

Splashman on December 15, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I can see the debates now:

Romney: Your policy on health care is bad

Romney: Yea well, your policy on illegal immigration is bad

Obama: My policy is the exact as yours

Romney: Yea well your policy on global warming is bad

Obama: Is there an echo in here? It’s the exact same as yours Mitt

angryed on December 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Spot-on.

If there’s anyone I can see doing a more lackluster job than McCain in debating Obama, it’s Romney. I can actually hear Romney saying to Obama with that snake-oil salesman smile, “Look, Mr. President–you and I aren’t very different at all….”

*sigh*

I’ve said it in other posts, and I’ll say it again: Yeah, I’ll vote for Willard if he’s the GOP nominee–but instead of using my finger to press the “VOTE NOW” button on the voting machine, I’ll be bashing it repeatedly with my forehead while exasperatedly repeating the “f”-word sotto voce.

Dime IV on December 15, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Don’t give American Crossroads anything. do you think they would help anyone else other then Romney.

boogaleesnots on December 15, 2011 at 5:59 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on December 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I agree. DeMint’s Senate Conservative Fund and Ryan’s Prosperity PAC are the place to send your money. That’s where mine goes. Controlling both the House and Senate is more important than the presidential election next year in, my opinion, if we’re to unravel the damage done.

jb34461 on December 15, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Like him or not this is an ad we should pay attention to ! Organization and money-=-that’s what it all comes down to and we had better take heed.

Bullhead on December 15, 2011 at 6:03 PM

angryed on December 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Romney = Obama? Really? OK…

Prufrock on December 15, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Great ad!

Schadenfreude on December 15, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Independents: low-information voters.

Left-wing base: wrong-information voters.

J.E. Dyer on December 15, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I just don’t see the Independents getting duped again by Obama.
Their disapproval has been steady for a long time.
I’m praying they are smarter than that.
They put this con man in the WH, now they’ll take him out.
Fingers crossed.

bailey24 on December 15, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Please send money we are spending it all to stop Newt.

boogaleesnots on December 15, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Remember that one does not simply campain in Mordor

speekr on December 15, 2011 at 6:19 PM

ok I sadly don’t live in the US and i’m not, sadly, an american, as an outsider i can only say vote for whoever will will the repubblican primary. Granted Romney isn’t perfect but you would rather have another 4 years with Obambi or 4 years with Romney? Maybe you won’t agree with Romney 100% but for sure he’s far more better than the current POTUS. You can’t have the perfect candidate just hold your nose and vote for the repubblican candidate

countrygirl on December 15, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Yeah, I care about his strategy.

Johnny Alamo on December 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Heh. I agree 100%.

PalinLover on December 15, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Who will be the first celebrity to brag about exiting America the beautiful if Gingrinch wins? Happy Trails to you! Why is Rove still relevant? He’s no Dana Perino, or Condi Rice or Liz Cheney!

racquetballer on December 15, 2011 at 6:27 PM

If we’re going to complain about the MSM playing up every stupid thing people like Sarah Palin have ever said, isn’t a little hypocritical to keep referencing Obama’s obviously accidental reference to 57 states?

twm378 on December 15, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Good ad. Gotta give him credit for being an expert on election calculations.

salem on December 15, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Rove has all the charisma of a McDonalds cheeseburger. He should stay behind the scenes and get someone with more life to front things like this, like, I dunno, Perry Como.

beatcanvas on December 15, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Republicans can win ONLY IF Newt is not the Republican nominee in 2012.

Conservative Samizdat on December 15, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Looks daunting.

echosyst on December 15, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Laura in Maryland on December 15, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Don’t be a tease, tell us more! What did you say? What did she say?

cane_loader on December 15, 2011 at 6:57 PM

face palm + double face palm + all the face palm I can possibly provide…… my head is going to explode – big time … that is all

nchammer on December 15, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Rove, every single state above the 33rd parallel voted for Lyndon B. Johnson, so there’s no farther back you can go for most states…

The Nerve on December 15, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Say what you will about Karl, but when it comes to the ground and air games in a race, there is none better. In this respect, he is an architect, down to how many nails, how many boards, how much concrete, you name it, he knows exactly where to place the money and when.

Plus, this is one of the best fundraising ads/presentations for a PAC I have ever seen, and I’ve seen and done hundreds of them myself over the years. Very well done, particularly the visuals. It would also be a good template for some straightforward, simple ads against Obama in 2012.

TXUS on December 15, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Well done Mr. Rove.

scotash on December 15, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Johnnyreb on December 15, 2011 at 5:28 PM

THIS.

Obama has lost most of the support he had in 2008. The media will never tell you this.

Think of the people you know who voted for Obama. Remember how they gushed back in 2009 when he was first in office? Do they even mention his name anymore?

I don’t think a spending advantage is an advantage when an incumbent has a record. He can spend the entire federal budget on his re-election and I can’t think of one state won by Bush that Obama will carry in 2012.

In this commercial, Karl Rove acts like the states lost in 2008 were flipped to blue on an ongoing basis. I contend most of them were flukes. We had a HORRIBLE, INEPT candidate (who beat Mitt in the primaries, remember?). We had a “suave”, young sounding, hip, smooth talking, teleprompter reading, half black opponent who said all of the right things people wanted to hear. We are “one” America. We wanted “hope and change”. That is what he told the main stream peeps. He only told his ACORN and SEIU buddies that he was going to “fundamentally transform America”.

Well guess what. Most Americans who voted for him have come out of their ether sucking “hope and change” stupor and have looked at their personal situation and realize they have been had.

Either they have lost their jobs, or someone in their close family have lost their jobs. Their home values have dropped like a stone, if they still HAVE their homes. Their financial outlook is very grim. They realize they were LIED to by our Liar in Chief.

With the exception of Ron Paul, I truly believe that this guy is very beatable, in fact landslidable beatable. What states besides the states that Kerry won in 04, can Obama win in 2012? I can’t think of ONE!!!

However, who we have on the ticket WILL impact Congress. Will the person on our ticket have coattails to bring in more reform minded people into the House? Will the person on our ticket limit our Senate seats we can capture to the 7 slam dunks next year, or can we get closer to the 13 that we need to guarantee that we can get Obamacare repealed?

If Romney didn’t have romneyobamacare hanging around his neck I would be happier if he ended up as our nominee. Right now, I am very unhappy that he could be the one on the ticket. I really don’t think he has the coat tails to bring in the numbers we need in Congress to move this country back to the right. He doesn’t know how to go on offense and he is not going to fight back against the nasty, vile campaign Obama is going to wage against whoever is on our ticket.

At this point, with Ron Paul coming close to a “victory” in Iowa, I think the South Carolina results will be a better measure of how this campaign season will unfold. America is not going to nominate a really old crack pot to head a major ticket. Romney gets his NH win just because of the home field advantage in the liberal northeast.

These choices are just too depressing to think about.

karenhasfreedom on December 15, 2011 at 7:35 PM

There are 60 states, Tina.

Close, but no cigar. What he actually said was:

…uh, because, you know, uh-uh, it is just wonderful to be back in Oregon, and over the last 15 months we’ve travelled, uh, to every corner of the United States. Uh, I’ve now been in fifty – … seven states, I think one left to go. Uh, one left to go. Uh, Alaska and Hawaii I was not allowed to go to, even though I really wanted to visit, but my staff would not, uh, justify it.

Not allowed to go to“?

Who’s in charge?

ITguy on December 15, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Time for Hot Airians to shoot the messenger, the eeeevil Karl Rove. Unreal.
Do keep in mind that American Crossroads contributed mightily to the 2010 Congressional tsunami. Like him or not he’s a brilliant strategist.

I also find it rather ironic that those who whine that he was a traitor because he dared criticize GOP candidates (like C O’D) have no problem whatsoever criticizing the GOP field (particularly Mitt Romney).

Oh well, it’s probably too much to ask that you all (and you know who I’m talking about) show some objectivity and restraint.

Buy Danish on December 15, 2011 at 7:41 PM

karenhasfreedom on December 15, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Do you think Obama wants to remind voters that he was the architect of ObamaCare? If he goes after Romney that’s what will happen. I think he’ll remain rather mum on the topic and play the class warfare game instead.

That’s not to say that his surrogates won’t try to stir up trouble during the primary process..

Buy Danish on December 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Another thing that creeps me out about

fifty – … seven states, I think one left to go

is that fact that the Organization of the Islamic Conference contains 57 states, and the “one left to go” could imply that Obama thinks that the USA is the “one left to go”.

Crazy? I don’t think so. Keep in mind a recent post here at Hot Air:

One portion of this I found unusual was the inside look at the conversion process. I spent some time once going to classes with a friend who was converting to Judaism. It’s a very long, detailed, involved process with a great deal to learn. The conversion process for Jeff to become a Muslim seemed to consist of showing up at his future father-in-law’s house and reciting precisely three lines. More to the point, despite his protestations about having done his homework, he seems to be given the speech for the ceremony written phonetically with no clear idea what he’s saying. The bride’s father assures him that, “You’re not denouncing anything. You’re adding more.”

He’s then given the note to read, with sub-titles helpfully added to the scene:

I bear witness, That there is no God, But Allah

POOF! You’re a Muslim!

Jeff recited the Shahada in Arabic, and was instantly considered a Muslim.

If that’s true of Jeff, why wouldn’t it be true for Obama?

Barack Hussein Obama also recited the Shahada in Arabic.

Crazy?

Not at all. Read what another commenter wrote in the following two comments, and follow the links in those comments to educate yourself.

Mr. Obama recalled the opening lines of the Arabic call to prayer, reciting them with a first-rate accent.

The opening lines of the call to prayer are the Shahada… the exact same words that Jeff confessed in Arabic to convert to Islam.

The bottom line is that the Muslim world has every reason to believe that Obama is a Muslim who is practicing Taqiyya when he claims to be a Christian. And the Muslim world could very well interpret Obama’s “fifty – … seven states, I think one left to go” as a coded signal that he wants to make the USA part of the OIC (Organization of the Islamic Conference)

ITguy on December 15, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Obama looking at VA?

Hmmm… how have the D’s done here in 2009, 2010 and 2011?

What’s that you say? D candidates unwilling to be seen with President Plutonium? Running from him like a train wreck that would happen to their campaigns?

Whatever you see in the polls about VA, do remember what has gone on here the last three election cycles, along with an R led balanced budget (even a surplus) plus an AG taking Obamacare through the Courts.

An Obama ‘win’ does not go with these things.

ajacksonian on December 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM

ConservativePartyNow on December 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Yup. You’re being optimistic. The Dims have messed CA up, too, yet they are still voted into office. Don’t underestimate the idiocy of the liberals. I know some, seemingly, intelligent people from SF who refuse to face reality. They are going to vote for Obummer no matter what and will walk away from you if you try to say anything “negative” about him. Of course, they are in Pelosi’s district. Like I said. They’re idiots.

daddysgirl on December 15, 2011 at 8:15 PM

ITguy on December 15, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Well, that’s what I get for relying on my aged memory. At least I had the total right!

stvnscott on December 15, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Let’s face it, this election will come down to Ohio, Florida, and Pennsylvania again.

The unions will be out in force in OH and I don’t see that as a GOP pickup. The only glimmer is that the employment situation is bleaker there than in most places, so the folks might get pissed enough to wake up. Nothing a good propaganda campaign by unions couldn’t fix, though.

Sigh…..

It’s funny, here in PA I sense people view Romney as a moderate (Democrat lite) and is palatable. However, with the second oldest population in the US, I’m sure the Medi-scare ads will be the anchor of the strategy here for the libs, and when the folks here even sniff that idea the GOP is in trouble.

Obummer will not run on his record, they will be running on how much worse the Repubs will make it and that plays well with seniors.

Until someone can convince me that the GOP can actually win OH, PA, and FL I still see Zero getting re-elected.

goflyers on December 15, 2011 at 9:15 PM

I have to say that I am disappointed in your analysis Ms. Korbe…it’s all about the money huh???? Only the money…and why is that?

The subtle message of this ad is telling us this:”Newt can’t win because he ain’t got no dough.”

again why is that?

Because the big money folks in the Republican party won’t give to Newt.

So we have a choice again this year… Take who Rove gives us…

or they will make sure we get our Medicine…Obama for another turn.

I’m kinda tired of these people, and I don’t think I am going to vote for Romney…Let it implode. I’ve been in war before and it’s about high time we have another one here amongst ourselves anyway, when it all comes down.

WL on December 15, 2011 at 11:05 PM

To win Colorado GOP needs a populist candidate, some type of moderate that will split the left’s vote in the Denver Metro area. The rest of Colorado will vote GOP, but the Progressive Populists in Denver usually swing the total vote in favor of the Dems.

Point is, no GOP candidate appeals to Denver’s Progressives. So don’t expect Colorado to go GOP this next round with the current group of GOPers. The yuppie Colorado tree-huggers are still backing Obama at this point.

Lawrence on December 15, 2011 at 11:38 PM

States Obama will carry once again:

State of Confusion
State of Ignorance
State of Gullibility

fogw on December 15, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Don’t forget the State of Denial.
Holder, Pelosi and the DWS hail from there.

Marcola on December 16, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Yeah, Rove ticks me off. Yeah, Romney believed in global warming. Yeah, Obama’s a disaster. But that’s not the point. The point is Obama can win. He starts with 196 blue state votes. We start with 180. He needs just 74 more votes to win.

Bottom line: we need to nominate our most electable candidate. Right now that’s Romney who’s ahead nationally against Obama. Newt’s behind by 10. Romney can take those crucial rust belt swing states as well as FL. He’s polling strongly in PA and FL. Newt’s behind in PA by 9 points, in FL by 12. I’m talking about head-to-head polls against Obama, not primary state polls of Republicans only. Rove may be a pain in the butt, but he understands what it takes to win an election. It takes cash and an electable candidate.

writeblock on December 16, 2011 at 3:46 AM

Sad but true. Romney is the only one running that can beat Obama. We need to nominate him. I will vote for Romney holding my nose. This is why I quit the Republican party 4 years ago….we nominated Mccain. That was stupid.

tjcat on December 16, 2011 at 1:34 PM