WaPo critic oddly not in love with new NBC News correspondent

posted at 9:55 am on December 13, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

When NBC announced that it would hire Chelsea Clinton as a new correspondent for their Rock Center show with Brian Williams, I was critical of the decision — mainly because the 32-year-old daughter of Bill and Hillary Clinton had hardly been cooperative with news media, even when in the form of a 9-year-old girl looking for a quote.  This was a vestige of the media blackout the younger Clinton enjoyed as a teenager in the White House, but those days were long past — although it seems as though some in the media have not forgotten it.

Clinton made her debut on Rock Center last night, and the Washington Post’s Hank Steuver appears to channel a few years of frustration into a blistering critique of the cub reporter:

[W]hat was surprising to see on Monday night’s show is how someone can be on TV in such a prominent way and, in her big moment, display so very little charisma — none at all. Either we’re spoiled by TV’s unlimited population of giant personalities or this woman is one of the most boring people of her era.

Ouch.  But that’s just the beginning, as Steuver blasts the media shield that has surrounded Clinton well past her majority:

As soon as NBC announced its opportunistic addition of Clinton as a very special correspondent to its news staff last month (using the broadest definition of “news” to include the sort of uplifting, socially concerned puff pieces Clinton will contribute), all sorts of longstanding bargains have been nullified. Clinton, who turns 32 in February, is officially past the “hands-off” restrictions firmly negotiated with the media when she was 12 and her father, the president, and her mother, the almighty, insisted that the press not write any stories about her.

That weird treatment extended well into her adulthood, creating a kind of Gen-Y Greta Garbo in plain sight, a mystery figure entirely undeserving of the intrigue and fascination accorded her. Having earned degrees from Stanford, Oxford and Columbia (and still working on her doctorate at New York University), Clinton is now ready to put all that schooling to one of the easiest tasks on the planet: feel-good journalism about folks just makin’ their way.

All of these are good points, but it seems to show a little, er, prejudice in his ability to review Clinton’s performance.  So how was she?  World’s most boring human, a standard non-talent, a rookie with some rough skills, or a star in the making?  Steuver’s review actually prompted me to watch the segment, something I would have otherwise skipped … and probably should have:

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

I don’t think Chelsea Clinton is the world’s most boring human, but it’s hard to argue that she has any mad skilz for this kind of work, either.  NBC did her no favors by giving her a 10-minute segment on an interesting human-interest story that could easily have been handled in a two- to three-minute hit with no couch follow-up.  The couch segment with Williams drags on interminably with nothing of interest being said, and being said uninterestingly.  However, the actual segment itself was handled competently if not terribly dynamically by Clinton, and it was an interesting story.

Steuver’s right that a couple of years at a local station reporting on city-council meetings would give Clinton a chance to develop real skill and talent for this line of work, but he’s also right that this effort isn’t about turning Chelsea Clinton into the next Diane Sawyer, either:

Stories from the Chelsea beat, meanwhile, are all meant to do a few things, very quickly: Highlight some bright spot of good news in otherwise bleak circumstances; indicate how viewers might help out the situation, if so inclined; and (this is never once said, but almost always palpable in the empathetic eyes of the reporter) ennoble the reporter herself, and thereby ennoble the network.

The whole exercise appears to be intended to promote the next generation of Clintons for public work, and perhaps public office.  So far, though, it’s not working.  Clinton may not be as bad as Steuver says, but she’s not worth watching, either.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

On to the senate!

Kissmygrits on December 13, 2011 at 9:59 AM

display so very little charisma — none at all.

I thought the same exact way.

I kept thinking, “why is she so blah?” Also, “why does she move (or rather, not move) her mouth that way?” “Shouldn’t someone have practiced with her?”

Abby Adams on December 13, 2011 at 10:00 AM

It’s her first shot, give her a break.

wi farmgirl on December 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM

I thinks the WaPo is going to get a sternly written letter from Ma and Pa Clinton. That was brutal.

BettyRuth on December 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Here comes my strained accusation of NBC media bias:

Why is NBC’s Chelsea Clinton doing segments in prime time while NBC’s Jenna Bush is doing segments for the Today show?

YYZ on December 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I remember when some of the loons here went ballistic when little Chelsea Clinton, age 28, campaigning on behalf of her mother, was criticized.

Blake on December 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Every time I see Chelsea Clinton I’m reminded of this old piece by John Derbyshire:

He perfectly describes what I find so objectionable about this girl.

JohnTant on December 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM

O_O

O_-

-_-

X_X

My eyes glazed over, then my ears glazed, then my mind and finally my blood.

Daddy’s Little Princess, a millionaire in her own right married to another millionaire from a billionaire family, and she’s going to host these vignettes about the little people struggling to survive and put food on the table.

Ok.

Thank Gaia for Dexter and the Military Channel.

Bishop on December 13, 2011 at 10:04 AM

A degree from Columbia ain’t what it used to be. Maybe it never was.

DanMan on December 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM

You’d have to feature Chelsea in a reality show (like Sarah’s)
to see the not-so-boring side of her. I don’t think she’d go for it, though.

listens2glenn on December 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM

It’s her first shot, give her a break.

wi farmgirl on December 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Why? Most people have to get a degree in it, do internships, and work their way up. And they actually have talent. Why should anyone give this bimbo a break?

Blake on December 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Hopefully the story will lead Topps to getting lots of donations for Christmas, thanks for promoting it Ed. It is a shame that this woman had to go bankrupt to help these kids. If charity is better than government why hasn’t this woman received help from private donors?

libfreeordie on December 13, 2011 at 10:07 AM

DanMan on December 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Formal education ain’t what it used to be, on all levels.

listens2glenn on December 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM

She actually is pretty awful Ed. Stories like these are supposed to be about the content, but all reporters want to be celebrities as well. However, most work their way into the position and make themselves noticeable through their work. But not here. This story is about Chelsea Clinton and it is God awful. All I can do is pay attention to her and she has no charisma. This may as well be a sexual harassment seminar.

If I were Annette Dub(?) I would have asked for anyone but Chelsea to report my story.

NotCoach on December 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Would have been better if she had teamed up with Amy Carter and went full extravaganza. Maybe even Ron Reagan could have thrown in a cameo.

After all, this is that new reality show “Who Wants To Be A Correspondent”, right?

ButterflyDragon on December 13, 2011 at 10:09 AM

My first impression was how much she sounded like her mother.

After that it was just “meh”.

GoodAg77 on December 13, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I kind of feel sorry for the girl. She’s doomed to look like Hillary.

wildcat72 on December 13, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Thanks for the tip, Ed, I’ll pass on the clip.

Christian Conservative on December 13, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Blake has a point, (i wouldn’t call her a bimbo though)

Chelsea won’t get me to watch rock center and jenna doesn’t persuade me to watch today so its a wash for me

cmsinaz on December 13, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Face it, NBC News wouldn’t be giving this shallow human being the time of day if she wasn’t the scion of America’s most famous family of grifters. She’s being employed as a curiosity to, presumably, help with the ratings. The reality she’s just as bad as Luke Russert who has none of his father’s ability to report the news.

Happy Nomad on December 13, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Yikes… that’s a sleepy voice with no real rhythm to hook your ear. She should try writing instead because at her age, her voice should have the snap that would develop into anything. Just trying to be fair, I’m not sure why.

princetrumpet on December 13, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Katie Couric’s replacement.

BobMbx on December 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM

They dumpted her in that liberal sludge pot, NBC and she still can’t get a good review . . . even from a liberal news agency. Although being completely void of any talent probably contributed to this dilemma.

rplat on December 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM

He perfectly describes what I find so objectionable about this girl.

JohnTant on December 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Thanks for the link. Boy, did he nail it!

Blake on December 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I kind of feel sorry for the girl. She’s doomed to look like Hillary.

wildcat72 on December 13, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Looking like her mom isn’t her biggest problem. Behaving like her mom is where her real trouble will be.

listens2glenn on December 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM

On to the senate!

Kissmygrits on December 13, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Exactly. This gig is training on how to be in the spotlight and more importantly, how to talk to “the little people”.

angryed on December 13, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I wonder if Hillary! is going to write a letter to the editor threatening to punch the reporter in the nose for insulting her daughter.

JohnGalt23 on December 13, 2011 at 10:14 AM

and her father, the president, and her mother, the almighty

Snort.

KingGold on December 13, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Cat fight! Does Hank feel spurned, and more than a little b*chy, over a position he thinks he deserves?

MNHawk on December 13, 2011 at 10:18 AM

she has a great face for radio.

rollthedice on December 13, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I would never fault NBC News for hiring a Clinton. I would never watch NBC News under any circumstances,but that’s not Chelsea’s fault.

Extrafishy on December 13, 2011 at 10:19 AM

My lord, the couch segment was boring!! I lasted all of 30 seconds before I dozed off. If she was a little more screechy, she would be a spitting image of her boring mother.

Long haired country boy on December 13, 2011 at 10:20 AM

JohnTant on December 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Holy Cow!!

JohnGalt23 on December 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

kind of feel sorry for the girl. She’s doomed to look like Hillary.

wildcat72 on December 13, 2011 at 10:10 AM

She hit every limb when she fell out of the ugly tree.

docflash on December 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM

First of all, what the h3ll is a “fully formed teenager”?, Brian.

Next. Most of those kids appeared to have been WELL-FED for a very long time.

Next. Seems like the more the tax-payers do for them, the more in need they become. (“teach a man to fish and you’ll feed him for a lifetime”)

Next. Couldn’t Chelsea’s mommy and daddy write a great big fat check to this lady’s cause?

Chelsea seems like a very lovely young woman. But the sugar-ending between her and Brian tested my gag reflex.

stenwin77 on December 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Why should anyone give this bimbo a break?

Blake on December 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM

She is far from a bimbo and last I knew this country is one of the few places in the world where an individual is not judged by their mother and or father.

Chelsea appears to be a nice polite educated woman and until she proves different that will remain my view.

I am by far no fan of her parents however I wish her well.

Wade on December 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM

In fairness to Chelsea, how is that disqualifying for a network tv slot?

morganfrost on December 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM

NBC needed the correspondent equivalent of Frank Sinatra Jr.

Mr. D on December 13, 2011 at 10:24 AM

stenwin77 on December 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Williams is a disgrace.

Wade on December 13, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Just don’t get Chelsea in the same room with Meghan McCain.

The combination of Bimbo and Limbo could destroy the know universe.

catmman on December 13, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I see the commercials for that show, and I think, “Who freakin’ cares?”

Just more slickly-produced, self-congratulatory liberal claptrap from the MSM. Yawwwwwn.

Ward Cleaver on December 13, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Another Presidential Daughter (TM) gunning for glamour and glitz on Daddy’s last name. Remember when Caroline Kennedy was considered for Hillary’s Senate seat, and it was discovered that she lacked her father’s oratory skills? And wannabe First Daughter Meghan McCain offering wannabe political commentary? Next up: Global Nuclear Disarmament Strategery by expert commentator Amy Carter…

There are some exceptions to the rule–Liz Cheney got her mother’s looks but her Daddy’s brains…

But Steuver had better watch his back. Chelsea could tell her Mommy on him, and Madam Secretary of State could make life miserable for Steuver!

Steve Z on December 13, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Next time I have to watch her I’m going to need horse blinders.

Or ear plugs since my ears are bleeding too.

Twana on December 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM

A face made for radio

jake-the-goose on December 13, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Why didn’t the “regular” WaPo TV dude (Leftist Tom Shales) do this review? Is he off on vacation with Michael Moore again?

Predictable comments at the WaPo link…

Top Comment:

Give her a break. Many of our legends have had inauspicious starts. She has good genes, all she needs is time to get over being nervous.

(Recommended by 8 WaPo Kos Kidz)

his sounds more like a review of Chelsea Clinton the person than of Chelsea Clinton the TV show.

Nothing terribly wrong with that I suppose, but it seems odd …

I just wonder if the reviewer has the proper qualifications to review someone’s life …

Chelsea has done nothing wrong. Let her taste the ups and downs of journalism and maybe it will open her eyes about the course our nation is following. Undoubtedly she wants a political career in the long run. We can only hope that her time as a reporter helps her understand just how broken our nation is and what must be done to bring back the USA from its current disastrous course.

So, she gets on national TV without doing the weather report in Des Moines. She’s the daughter of a President – and a Senator and Secretary of State. Don’t be stupid. If I had such influence do you think I wouldn’t use it to benefit my kids? Sometimes I don’t believe how asinine these articles are. An insult to my intelligence. She has to do the work, though, or she won’t last. Ratings are king! Good luck to her.

Give her a break.

This is just a peek into the relationship between politics and broadcast journalism.

Just like bankers feel that they can control the world through finance, the media seems to feel that they can control the world through broadcast media.

I LOVE NPR, and recognize that they try to be objective. I have never been able to figure out why, in spite of their receipt of public funding, they don’t hire any conservative journalists. After all, many of their liberal journalists appear to struggle with objectiveness at times. Why not just shoot for a balanced perspective?

CNN also does a decent job, but if you really want objective, you have to listen to BBC radio.

Del Dolemonte on December 13, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I’d guess she gets little criticism, constructive or otherwise, for fear she could run to her parents.

unlisted on December 13, 2011 at 10:34 AM

A face made for radio

jake-the-goose on December 13, 2011 at 10:33 AM

lol, did you read that in the WaPo comments? One commenter there said the exact same thing.

Several also compared her to various dog breeds, and one even referred to her as Mister Ed.

Del Dolemonte on December 13, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I’ve always felt sorry for her. She is so obviously Webster Hubble’s child. I’d doubt even plastic surgery could solve her facial problems. I’d sure try though if I were her.

nueces on December 13, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Del Dolemonte on December 13, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I sort of wish I had not said it – she deserves as much success as anyone.

jake-the-goose on December 13, 2011 at 10:37 AM

For me, the main problem is that she’s ugly, stupid, and has no discernible skills. At least, most of the other MSM “correspondents” are hot, if stupid and unskilled.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 13, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Maybe we are all just a little tired of the unjust noise when the triangle becomes the featured instrument in the symphony, but then won’t leave the stage.

Windsweeping on December 13, 2011 at 10:38 AM

A face for radio and a voice for print?

countrybumpkin on December 13, 2011 at 10:39 AM

It’s her first shot, give her a break.

wi farmgirl on December 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Yeah, sorry, I can’t do that. I’m a journalist who spent years working on his writing, editing, and vocal skills, and the number of times I’ve tried to get jobs at places like NBC News I can’t get anyone to return my phone calls or e-mails. And I know plenty of people even better and more established than I am who are in the same boat. Chelsea Clinton got where she is because of who her parents are, plain and simple. It had nothing to do with her talent or her experience. I actually don’t mind if people use their connections to get jobs (I certainly have before), provided they have the talent and/or the ability to back it up. If Clinton doesn’t, she has no business doing it on NBC News or anyone else. But no one with her family has to work her way up from anywhere, and this is the result. They put her there, unqualified and ill-equipped, and these are the pathetic results. Why exactly should I, or anyone, give her a break for that?

WesternActor on December 13, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Bill is the one with the charisma in the family; Hillary, who raised Chelsea, is lacking in that department. Hillary raised Chelsea. There may be a connection.

Paul-Cincy on December 13, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I’ll add it’s rude to criticize the personality of those starting out in any artistic endeavor. But maybe she should have started at a lower rung of the ladder, and avoided such public exposure. I wonder if Rush will compare her to the face of a horse as he apparently did when she was 13. Maybe he’s learned since then.

Paul-Cincy on December 13, 2011 at 10:42 AM

They need to give her her very own foam-at-the-mouth/lunatic-running-the-insane-asylum news show on MSNBC to bring out the Real Her.

pilamaye on December 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM

According to Brian Williams, she got the job because she wanted to tell stories….

So that is all it takes these days, because you want to do something. Nothing about being qualified, working your way up. Nope, she wanted to tell stories. I guess she wanted to sit on a board or directors also as she is on Barry Dillers IAC board.

AndrewsDad on December 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I thought she did just fine. Brian Williams is the insufferable twit in this piece, not Chelsea.

Metro on December 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Sound the alarms! Were you this concerned when a Bush daughter showed up on NBC?

Some are still obsessed, and paranoid, with anything Clinton. It’s silly. They probably still have that Clinton death list on their refrigerator door.

Moesart on December 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM

She gets her charisma from her mother…

Grindstone on December 13, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Did she obtain this job on merit? Nope. She obtained it because of who her parents are. She’s a bimbo.

Was she nice to the 9 year old she refused to give a quote to? Nope. Was she qualified for this job or for her hedge fund job? Nope. She wasn’t so nice that she would forgo taking jobs that she was not qualified for over those who were.

I am by far no fan of her parents however I wish her well.

Wade on December 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I wish she had gain entry and obtained jobs based on her own personal merit. However, that did not happen and will never happen. This NBC job is just grooming her for politics. I refuse to be a part of it. As the Caroline Kennedy debacle has taught the leftards, genes aren’t often enough.

Blake on December 13, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Bill is the one with the charisma in the family;

And Bill should be the proud wearer of an orange jumpsuit, aside from being a laughing stock, which he worked so hard to become while President.

Hillary, who raised Chelsea, is lacking in that department.

Hillarity has the translation skills in the family. She should also be wearing an orange jumpsuit for her ridiculous cattle future “trading” (though it’s clear that she never actually traded jack, but had others do that for her … and let her go on margin calls, too (which is about as unusual as it gets at brokerages).

Hillary raised Chelsea. There may be a connection.

Paul-Cincy on December 13, 2011 at 10:40 AM

So, we can expect Chelsea to follow in her idiot mother’s path and do something truly stupid and extremely public and then laugh about it as if it were all a joke from the beginning.

Hillarity Clinton: “Did we get the translation right? We worked so hard on it.”

Lavrov: “No. It means ‘overcharged’, not ‘reset’ you blithering idiot … but let me laugh at you and the pathetic US that sent you on this folly …”

[picture of the two laughing at the stupidity of the State Department in being able to accurately translate one simple word into Russian. I guess they should have tried Austrian, first.]

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 13, 2011 at 10:46 AM

He perfectly describes what I find so objectionable about this girl.

JohnTant on December 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Wow, I’ve never seen Derb write anything that searing:

Chelsea is a Clinton. She bears the taint; and though not prosecutable in law, in custom and nature the taint cannot be ignored. All the great despotisms of the past — I’m not arguing for despotism as a principle, but they sure knew how to deal with potential trouble — recognized that the families of objectionable citizens were a continuing threat. In Stalin’s penal code it was a crime to be the wife or child of an “enemy of the people”. The Nazis used the same principle, which they called Sippenhaft, “clan liability”. In Imperial China, enemies of the state were punished “to the ninth degree”: that is, everyone in the offender’s own generation would be killed, and everyone related via four generations up, to the great-great-grandparents, and four generations down, to the great-great-grandchildren, would also be killed. (This sounds complicated, but in practice what usually happened was that a battalion of soldiers was sent to the offender’s home town, where they killed everyone they could find, on the principle neca eos omnes, deus suos agnoscet — “let God sort ‘em out”.)

Ward Cleaver on December 13, 2011 at 10:47 AM

The worst part was not the reporting, which, it was her first so I will give a little slack, but the worst part was Brian Williams and his falling all over himself. NBC is so in love with the Clintons, they should be embarrassed to claim that they are a news program, they are the mouthpiece for the Clintons and the rest of the Democrats.

GregM on December 13, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Why not give her a job on NPR.

GrayDog on December 13, 2011 at 10:49 AM

She’s certainly not a “looker,” — my wife says she inherited the worse of both her parents features, and the segment itself, though solid in content, was rather flatly and boringly delivered. Only the scion of a political family like the Clinton’s could leapfrog the journalistic ladder and get a segment on NBC nightly news — even if it is a puff piece.

This is, I think, what most people object to. Her looks are her looks and her voice her voice — not much can be done about it. But Americans generally are not fond of aristocratic privilege that slots people into a position only because of their parentage. I think we’d tolerate it if she were very very talented, but she clearly is not.

Secondly, it is ironic that the segment highlights the kind of grassroots, non-governmental intervention that conservatives trumpet and which is the exact opposite of sterile government heavy-handedness (much of which is the cause of the problems the program is trying to address). Interesting also that the woman’s strong “faith” commitment gets only a passing mention when it is obviously the driving force in her work. I’m sure all the talk about God’s call, the way the woman prays for the kids, etc., was edited out of the final cut.

theblackcommenter on December 13, 2011 at 10:49 AM

WesternActor on December 13, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Thank you for saying it more eloquently than I did.

Blake on December 13, 2011 at 10:50 AM

1% waiver.

rogerb on December 13, 2011 at 10:54 AM

theblackcommenter on December 13, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Having worked with those on the low end of the socio-economic ladder, I truly appreciate the kind of mom and pop faith based charitable work this woman is doing. It works.

Blake on December 13, 2011 at 10:55 AM

On to the senate!

Kissmygrits on December 13, 2011 at 9:59 AM

This.

2ndMAW68 on December 13, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I don’t care what she looks like I care that NBC gave an obviously unqualified person that job. Her handlers are definitely hoping to groom her to run for office.

sandee on December 13, 2011 at 10:57 AM

sounds like an ameatuer submission for NPR’s “This American Life”. She has ZERO tone and inflection.

Kostya Kotz on December 13, 2011 at 11:01 AM

<blockquote I kind of feel sorry for the girl. She’s doomed to look like Hillary.

wildcat72 on December 13, 2011 at 10:10 AM

She looks like Eleanor Roosevelt. And I’ll never feel sorry for her. She shilled for her mother in dishonest fashion and I feel quite sure she’s cut from.the same sociopathic fabric as both her parents.

Fair game.

M240H on December 13, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Blake on December 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Perhaps it was because she refused to answer any questions about the campaign

RickB on December 13, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I think we should celebrate the young lady’s virginal voyage on the little screen. Cigars, anyone?

TXUS on December 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Moesart on December 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Is that you, Hillary?

In your view, did Bill Clinton commit Felony Perjury before a Federal Grand Jury? Nothing “silly” about that, is there?

Del Dolemonte on December 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I kind of feel sorry for the girl. She’s doomed to look like Hillary.

wildcat72 on December 13, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Well, one of them definitely needs to change their hairstyle….

BettyRuth on December 13, 2011 at 11:04 AM

She was terrible. So terrible that it was obvious she didn’t even bother to get some coaching. She can’t write, she can’t interview, and she can’t connect.

It was downright insulting.

itsacookbook on December 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Oh, come on! She’s providing a valuable public service.

Watching these Clintons teaches us how to bear up under torture — useful for when Homeland Security starts waterboarding us.

TheClearRiver on December 13, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Why should anyone give this bimbo a break?

Blake on December 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Wade on December 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM

The Democrat American Media suppressed British newspaper pictures of a totally bombed Chelsea stumbling out of assorted nightclubs in London while she was at Oxford a few years back.

As for judging a kid against their parents in America, it’s been happening for decades. Algore was always measured against his father, and the same goes for John F. Kennedy Junior.

Del Dolemonte on December 13, 2011 at 11:08 AM

This NBC job is just grooming her for politics. I refuse to be a part of it.

Blake on December 13, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Every time you piss and moan you are a part of it. It is about money not personalities.

Wade on December 13, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Americans do not Serf, ergo we need no more aristocratic dynasties, No more Clinton’s no more Bush’s and no more damned Kennedy’s..

SWalker on December 13, 2011 at 11:11 AM

We have just witnessed the launch of the newest Clinton political career. Nita, Kirsten and Schmucky had better watch their collective backs. I’m smellin smoke here.

Good thing she had a interesting subject to work with, for her debute piece or her news career would’ve been o-v-e-r, at the start.

In Pine Bluff it may take a village or Ms Dove to raise a child, but in NY all it takes is a Clinton or a Kennedy [carpetbaggers] to launch a political career.

De Oppresso Liber on December 13, 2011 at 11:13 AM

She’s no Meggy Mac, that’s for sure.

Lily on December 13, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Moesart on December 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM

You’re right. Time to just relax, hit the “Reset” button, and go with the flow.

M240H on December 13, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Another confirmation that merit plays no role in who gets what on the left.

echosyst on December 13, 2011 at 11:18 AM

lmao Bishop. Did you invent that emoticon transition?

hawkdriver on December 13, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Del Dolemonte on December 13, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I see so that makes it ok to deny a basic right of this country. The old “they did it”, so a rational person thinks that makes it ok? Don’t think so. Do you apply your logic to BJ’s in oval office? “It’s been happening for decades”. So did slavery.

Wade on December 13, 2011 at 11:19 AM

My God, such paint-by-numbers Liberal hack journalism. All the cliches, from the sound of gunshots in the distance to the only-meal-of-the-day starving students, this so-called report would have been right at home back in the 60′s.

Midway through the report, I forgot what the focus of this report was. Who cares.

The follow-up with Brian Williams was all misty-eyed, aren’t-we-great-Libs pats on the back.

Chelsea does have a stilted, uncomfortable delivery. Obviously this is all a training ground for a future political career. She needs to work on her screen presence and charisma, which are currently nonexistent. Fortunately for Chelsea no one is watching this program.

The last part, where Brian Williams interviews Chelsea about Chelsea is pure Clockwork Orange rendition material.

EMD on December 13, 2011 at 11:21 AM

The whole exercise appears to be intended to promote the next generation of Clintons for public work, and perhaps public office. So far, though, it’s not working.

She has a radio face and a postal personality.

petefrt on December 13, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Del Dolemonte on December 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I hate to be the one to point this out because I do agree Felony Perjury is pretty damned serious, but honesty, doesn’t it kind of pale compared to getting two American Law Enforcement Officers and 2000 Mexican citizens killed? Nixon lied, but no one died, Clinton lied and still no one died.

Obama lied and Jaime Zapata, Brian Terry and 2000+ innocent Mexican citizens have died so far, so yea, as much as I would have loved to see Bill removed from office after his impeachment, his lying compared to what Obama has done really has been made into a silly little thing.

SWalker on December 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM

The couch segment with Williams drags on interminably with nothing of interest being said, and being said uninterestingly. However, the actual segment itself was handled competently if not terribly dynamically by Clinton, and it was an interesting story.

I stopped viewing after the commercial break and return to the couch BECAUSE what then ensued was the reality of what the entire segment was all about: Chelsey Clinton and NBC (so I suppose the woman and the needy children featured in the first part of this story were mere tools to get to the Chelsea coverage…).

And this new job of Chelsea’s is clearly a pathway process to get Chelsea Clinton in the pipeline for yet another Clinton political dynasty.

Lourdes on December 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Translated: “She’s just like her mother.”

irishspy on December 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Del Dolemonte on December 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM

SWalker on December 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Felony Perjury is Felony Perjury-doesn’t matter what the lie is about.

In addition, Clinton’s defenders ignored the fact that his Justice Department had previously successfully prosecuted a female Federal employee (a VA doctor, no less) for Lying Under Oath About Sex.

In their world, he was Above the Law, but she didn’t matter.

Del Dolemonte on December 13, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I see so that makes it ok to deny a basic right of this country.

Wade on December 13, 2011 at 11:19 AM

No one has any “right” to not have people take their family into account when making judgments about them. It is still true that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. You might not like that, but most people understand that it is the truth.

And don’t confuse the government judging people based on the actions of their parents, criminally, with individuals making individual assessments about others. If you think you can take a person and treat them as a totally isolated individual with no connection to their family (where they got their genes, personality, and general life view from) then you are just denying basic nature – nature that everyone understands.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on December 13, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I’ve got an idea. Chelsea can report on world events, by interviewing stars of NBC sitcoms.

“I’m here with the stars of the hit new NBC series, Best Friends Forever. Tell me, what, if any effect do you think, Iran’s acquisition of nuclear weapons will have on the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade?”

Mr. Grump on December 13, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Happened to catch the beginning of this segment with my 10 year old daughter, who glanced up from her book and asked “What’s up with her eyes?”.

I thought she looked way to focused on the teleprompter while introducing the bit. Turned it off about halfway through…I didn’t think she was horrible, more sort of “meh”.

WaltzingMtilda on December 13, 2011 at 11:34 AM

At least she didn’t have any blueberry pie on her face and hopefully she has been paying her taxes.

joedoe on December 13, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Perhaps it was because she refused to answer any questions about the campaign

RickB on December 13, 2011 at 11:01 AM

But she was up on the stage and getting her photo taken. Plus, so what? It was a question from a little girl.

Blake on December 13, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Every time you piss and moan you are a part of it.

Wade on December 13, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Every time you irrationally defend her behavior, you are a part of it.

Blake on December 13, 2011 at 11:39 AM