Trump: OK, fine, I won’t moderate the Newsmax debate

posted at 3:10 pm on December 13, 2011 by Tina Korbe

To nobody’s very great surprise, Donald Trump today decided he will not moderate the Newsmax presidential debate between Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, after all. He was dismissive of the regrets of Ron Paul and Jon Huntsman, understanding of the rationale for refusing offered by Mitt Romney and Rick Perry, and mighty disappointed with Michele Bachmann, but, today, he was just matter-of-fact. Oops, did I say “matter-of-fact”? I meant characteristically “over-the-top.”

In a statement laced with intimations, insinuations and outright admissions that he might want to rock the presidential race as an independent, Trump said he will bow out of moderating the debate. His full statement, via Alexander Burns at Politico:

The Republican Party candidates are very concerned that sometime after the final episode of The Apprentice, on May 20th, when the equal time provisions are no longer applicable to me, I will announce my candidacy for President of the United States as an Independent and that, unless I conclusively agree not to run as an Independent, they will not agree to attend or be a part of the Newsmax debate scheduled for December 27, 2011. It is very important to me that the right Republican candidate be chosen to defeat the failed and very destructive Obama Administration, but if that Republican, in my opinion, is not the right candidate, I am not willing to give up my right to run as an Independent candidate. Therefore, so that there is no conflict of interest within the Republican Party, I have decided not to be the moderator of the Newsmax debate. The American people are embarrassed by the gridlock currently taking place in Washington. I must leave all of my options open because, above all else, we must make America great again!

I would like to thank Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum for having the courage, conviction, and confidence to immediately accept being a part of the Newsmax debate. I believe this would not only have been the most watched debate, but also the most substantive and interesting debate!

As Burns noted, “gotta love that the date of ‘The Apprentice’ season finale ended up in there.”

As this means Allahpundit won’t cease to cover the 2012 elections after all — as he threatened to do on Twitter the day the news of the Trump-moderated debate broke — I’m relieved the Donald has relinquished his show-stopping role as a debate moderator.

But I’m also a little perturbed that, by refusing to participate in the debate and forcing Trump to this conclusion, the Republican candidates have effectively resurrected the menace of an independent run by Trump. I don’t really think he will, but, if he did decide to run as an independent, I would never forgive him. A reminder: Anybody who says his or her top priority is to ensure that Obama becomes a one-term president would not enter the race as an independent only to split the anti-Obama vote. Please, people, don’t forget that.

Now, however, if a leftie wants to run to split the pro-Obama vote, I’m all for that.

Comments

Trump likes the camera. He would demand 70% air time if the debate had gone ahead

liberal4life on December 13, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Oh Tina, you earned yourself an indulgence for that one.

Go ahead. Go out and commit mortal sin. You get a freebie.

JohnGalt23 on December 13, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Trump can run as an Independent all he wants; I refuse to be Perot’d into a 2nd Obama term, and will vote for the nominee.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 13, 2011 at 3:17 PM

“As this means Allahpundit won’t cease to cover the 2012 elections after all ”

DAMN!

Eph on December 13, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Jeez. Enough with the Trump, already.

Finbar on December 13, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Paging Ralph Nader, Ralph Nader to the white courtesy phone please.

rbj on December 13, 2011 at 3:20 PM

He’s not running for anything, not now, not ever. He’s an attention whore, and I’m really sick of Fox giving him so much face time lately.

Just say no to the Donald.

JPeterman on December 13, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I was looking forward to the chat between santorum and gingrich. With The Hair now out, will the “debate” still be held, and will the cowards who were afraid of trump now find that their “prior” commitments have suddenly disappeared?

TeaPartyNation on December 13, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Behind the veil comb over

Oil Can on December 13, 2011 at 3:21 PM

He had a fantasy of saying “You’re fired!” to all the Republican suckers debate participants who would have agreed to this.

22044 on December 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM

As this means Allahpundit won’t cease to cover the 2012 elections after all.

Allah’s cats hardest hit.

Lily on December 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Donald Trump is acting so much like a buffoon, it’s hard to believe he didn’t interfere in the 2000 election he tried to get involved in too, right?

The Nerve on December 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Anyone read this?

(I’m assuming there’s some validity to this article…..otherwise I think there’d have been a lawsuit.)

guitardude on December 13, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Trump’s threat of an independent run is a gun held to the head of the GOP: Kiss my ring or I’ll split the ticket and do what Perot did for Clinton. It’s also why no prominent Republican has called out Ron Paul for being everyone’s favorite, vaguely antisemitic crazy uncle. If Paul goes third party, the small but significant libertarian wing of the Republican Party goes with him.

Thing is, I can’t imagine there’s a big groundswell of support out there for Donald Trump–but there really doesn’t need to be in a close election, and this election will be close. Even a 2 or 3 point steal might reelect President Obama.

Those who would make or imply such a threat are the true RINOs.

troyriser_gopftw on December 13, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I suggest Sarah Palin as the new moderator for this debate. That should pull in some fantastic ratings, while driving the d-cRAT socialists into an even greater level of hysterical insanity.

TeaPartyNation on December 13, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I think they would have reached people that won’t watch debates otherwise . Not sure it was a smart idea to back out.

rbtsckdj on December 13, 2011 at 3:25 PM

TeaPartyNation on December 13, 2011 at 3:20 PM

The rest of the Newsmax debate gets boycotted for ever remotely thinking they could present Donald Trump as a credible debate moderator.

The Nerve on December 13, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I like the 1-on-1 debates much better than the 7 person pile ons.

Next time, I move we get a series of 1-on-1 debates. The promoters could decide on Winners and Losers in each contest, and publish standings of the won/lost records.

(I’m only half tongue-in-cheek, here. There’s something to the idea)

Deafdog on December 13, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Those who agree with that point of view should, then, not hesitate to support our eventual nominee, regardless of his or her views on foreign policy then.

Right?

JohnGalt23 on December 13, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Trump will not run.

But I AM tired of his antics.

Muzzle the man’s trumpet please!

Sherman1864 on December 13, 2011 at 3:30 PM

I consider myself part of the libertarian wing of the party, but Paul doesn’t speak for me. His foreign policy is naive, and he would be a disaster as President.

So…do all the GOP candidates go flocking back to the Newsmax debate now? That would add insult to injury, as far as Trump is concerned.

DRayRaven on December 13, 2011 at 3:32 PM

lol @ Trump promoting his show in his supposedly Presidental response.

roflmao

Politricks on December 13, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Rand Paul has said that a third party run by his father would elect Obama. I can’t imagine Ron Paul running third party

gerrym51 on December 13, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Oh, hello there Hillary. Are you sure you’re happy playing second fiddle to Obama? You know, something to consider…

Mr. Prodigy on December 13, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Does anybody but the media pay attention to what Trump thinks, or doesn’t think. Or who he deems an acceptable candidate. The man is a circus showman. He does not have a single cogent political thought. If elected President he would likely make a worse mess of things than even Obozo (I know that borders on impossible, but hey he’s Donald Trump)

The Donald needs to go away, far away. Maybe take an extended vacation to China. He needs to walk away from politcal comment. The Republican “debates” have been enough of a circus without Trump sealing the deal.

NOMOBO on December 13, 2011 at 3:43 PM

World’s Biggest Putz Award winner, Donald Trump.

SD Tom on December 13, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Except that removing Obama may not be their highest priority.

The conditions that made Obama possible need to be reversed, and if the GOP candidate is unwilling to do that, then what honestly has been accomplished?

Why is a Republican progressive so much better than a Democratic one?

sharrukin on December 13, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Mr. Prodigy on December 13, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Reactivating “Operation Chaos?”

listens2glenn on December 13, 2011 at 3:44 PM

When, oh when, are people going to get over this guy’s schtick. It’s tired, predictable, and cheesier than a Vegas lounge act. I firmly believe he never had any intention of moderating the debate. He wanted the attention and the whirlwind that went along with infusing himself into the Republican race. I suspect his next attention-getter will be saying he is Tim Tebow’s biological father, and he has Tim’s REAL birth certificate saying that Tim was born in a manger in Jerusalem.

Govicide on December 13, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Actuall I don’t give a flit what ‘the donald’ does. I would not have watched the debate anyway. I don’t watch his program and mute him when he is on Fox. He is no way a conservative and just goes with the flow to whoever can help him. It has worked great so far, he is very good at what he does, helping ‘the donald’.
L

letget on December 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Will one of his kids administer the debate? Maybe his daughter? Then Donald makes his appearance at the end, striding in, and grills Santorum for being an obnoxious loser?

Daikokuco on December 13, 2011 at 3:49 PM

If Trump wants to go down in history as the guy who put the stake through the heart of The United States of America then he’s dumber than I thought.

He’ll never do it, he just enjoys scaring people for publicity.

NapaConservative on December 13, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Don’t go away mad, Donny, just go away.

tbrickert on December 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I liked Trump better when he was a Democrat.

LetsBfrank on December 13, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I am still trying to figure out why our candidates ever talked to this guy in the first place, as if he were some kind of kingmaker. It is embarassing and makes the primary feel like a darn cartoon.

Ergo Sum on December 13, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Ergo Sum on December 13, 2011 at 3:55 PM

This. Right. Here.

Who was the first idiot to “visit” the Donald? Did he invite them or did they seek him out?

JPeterman on December 13, 2011 at 4:00 PM

DRayRaven on December 13, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I feel the same way. A lot of what Paul says makes sense (with regards to over-extension of our troops), but he takes it too far when he starts justifying the Iranian nuclear program and blaming America. Regardless of whether America’s record in the Middle East precipitated Iran’s nuclear ambitions, the President should be a zealous advocate for American interests, not an arbiter of historical fact. When asked about the danger posed by Iran, Paul reverts to blaming America. That, to me, is disqualifying for a man who would represent this nation. Why can’t he just say how he would respond if Iran attacks Israel instead of just denying that it will ever happen???

It sends the wrong message to our adversaries. Do I want to go to war with Iran? No. But it is absolutely essential that our enemies believe that we will swing the hammer if need be. Ron Paul would be a disaster on the international stage because no one believes he would swing the hammer.

Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Those who would make or imply such a threat are the true RINOs.

troyriser_gopftw on December 13, 2011 at 3:24 PM

It’s all about the ego- including Ron Paul. I won’t even give them the dubious dignity of being called RINO’s. Just massive, walking, talking ego’s.

BettyRuth on December 13, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Heck! I find myself wondering if TRUMP can beat RON PAUL in the primaries – it’s just that crazy at this point!!!!!!!!!!

moonlighter on December 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I’m imagining the first draft of his statement:

Nobody yoo-miliates The Donald. You’re all a buncha BUMS except for Newt and that other guy. I woulda had an audience share that would blow up Arbitron and Neilsen ratings boxes all over America, just like they do every time “The Apprentice” comes on Sunday nights at ten Eastern Time.

You’re all a bunch of looooosers, save for Newt and that guy. Ron Paul? Not a handsome or good looking man like Donald Trump who is very attractive. Perry? Too dumb to know that my net worth is SEVEN BILLION DOLLARS!!! Huntsman? A lying liar who looked me in the eyes and lied to me at Trump Tower, Manhattan New York, where condos on the lower floors are cheaper than those dumps which overlook Central Park where Donald Trump would never live.

Bachman? She would not make it outa the first round of my Miss USA or Miss Universe pageants, both of which which will air this spring on an NBC Universal channel undetermined as of yet–look at my fabulous wife Melania!!!!! Romney? Still like him plenty, thought we were pals but he comes down with a terminal case of stupid on this one. Run away you buncha cowards except for Newt and that other guy. Ratings woulda been YOOOOJ!!!!!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 13, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Just like clinging to my guns, I continue to cling to the belief that Trump, in the final analysis, is too much of an American to do anything like forming a third party, thereby ensuring an Obastard second term…. Yep…That’s my true feeling about the CIC…..and, I’m quite sure it is Trump’s also….

b4lucy on December 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM

So how come we only see threats of a third party run against Republicans? Why aren’t we encouraging our disaffected liberal brethren to mount their own challenge to Teh One?

Iblis on December 13, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Piece of arrogant sh*t promotes his own show in his statement ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Dave Rywall on December 13, 2011 at 4:32 PM

We don’t need a kingmaker in the party. The Donald is having fun at Republican expense. He gets free publicity and the imprimatur that he matters. Moderating a debate while declaring he may still be a candidate, if he doesn’t like the eventual primary winner, is a trap no candidate should step into.

While I am typing, he is on “Your World with Neil Cavuto” declaring he may run as an independant. He is just trying to keep his name in the news.

RicRx on December 13, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 4:05 PM

So, you want a “Yes” man as POTUS?

I don’t think so. If we’re headed down the wrong road, the thing to do, is turn around.

JohnGalt23 on December 13, 2011 at 4:51 PM

TeaPartyNation on December 13, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I think she is too busy hawking her new reality show…I don’t think she is quite

right2bright on December 13, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Sarah! Sarah! Sarah!

Make the debate about crony capitalism and tell all the candidates they will be discussed whether they show up or not.

huckleberryfriend on December 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I heard that the Donald, and Debbie Whatshername Schultz were forming a new HAIR CARE CLUB…. for couples!
Newt and Callista will do the presentations, on hair coloring.

KOOLAID2 on December 13, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I think she is too busy hawking her new reality show…I don’t think she is quite

right2bright on December 13, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Folks just can’t let it go, can they.

alwaysfiredup on December 13, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Enough, now go climb back under the rock u came.

Sparty on December 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Donald Trump loves Donald Trump. I wouldn’t trust him for a second. The candidates are wise to not get too involved with him.

balkanmom on December 13, 2011 at 8:55 PM

So just hours after being on BOR saying he would have one with just Newt and Santorum, he walks away from it?

Trump is a joke and his word is not to be trusted.

ajacksonian on December 13, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Is Eason Jordon still producing the debate?

holygoat on December 13, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Nothing wrong with Donald Trump

John W Stevenson on December 14, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I’d vote for Trump in a minute over Newt or Mitt, and certainly over Barry. At least I would today.

Mitt is too nice. People who know Newt say he is a disaster as a leader. We don’t need another good at campaigning and dismal in governance.

billrowe on December 14, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Not that surprising. I doubt very many would want to debate someone that was threatening to run as an independent against them in six months.

jd3181 on December 14, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Trump man you are a nice guy and all, but please just shut up and sit down already.

RiCkY.D. on December 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM