Sen. Joe Manchin: Yeah, I don’t know what’s up with my fellow Democrats not producing a budget

posted at 2:00 pm on December 13, 2011 by Tina Korbe

In case you missed it, Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia yesterday strongly indicted his fellow Democrats for their failure to produce a budget in — what is it now? — 958 days. (Yes, that’s right. In little more than a month, we’ll have been without a budget for 1,000 days.)

In an appearance on “Morning Joe,” Manchin said no excuse exists for this Democratic inaction — especially, I might add, given that Democrats controlled all three branches of government for the first two years of President Barack Obama’s term and could have crafted a budget entirely to their liking.

The take-home quote comes at about 0:36. “I would have been impeached as governor [if I hadn't produced a budget],” Manchin says. “I would have been impeached. I had to put a budget together.”

To his credit, Manchin hasn’t been present in the Senate for the entire span of budgetary laziness: He was sworn into the Senate Nov. 15, 2010, to fill the seat left vacant by the death of Sen. Robert Byrd. Based on the Morning Joe appearance, he has clearly been uncomfortable from his earliest days in office with the Senate’s haphazard approach to governance.

“‘Does anyone have a plan?’” he says he asked shortly after he entered the Senate. “I’m not used to that. So, I’m thinking, ‘This is a little different than what I’m used to, so I’m going to have to kind of sit back and watch this.’ I just want to contribute. I just want to help.”

If, as a member of the Senate, Manchin feels helpless and overwhelmed at the ineptitude of his colleagues, surely  he can understand why we unelected peons feel the way we do in the face of Harry Reid’s flagrant disregard for both the law and what’s best for the country.

The hosts of “Morning Joe” evidently enjoyed Manchin on the show — and I can see why. He seems like a likable, sensible sort of man. But I couldn’t help but feel disheartened even by this clip. It’s easy to laugh at the poor math that characterizes Congress — but, in the end, bad budgeting has real consequences. Most of those consequences are felt by the middle class Obama so loves to laud in speeches, but hammer in his policies. No matter what accounting gimmicks the administration uses, we can’t spend our way out of debt — and, so far, nearly all of the president’s policies, including his latest darling of the payroll tax cut extension, are just proposals to spend more. Without a budget, Congress has a hard time holding him accountable. When, oh when, will it stop? After 1,000 days? 1,500? 2,000? Let’s hope it stops Nov. 12, 2012.

Comments

DINO? i cant tell with this guy….

Drunk Report on December 13, 2011 at 2:03 PM

How many US Senators were Govenors before the Senate?
Just wondering.

listens2glenn on December 13, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Poor Democrats, now they have to deal with an Arlen Specter of their very own. Watching this video makes me so glad that we kept Mike Castle out of the Senate.

Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 2:03 PM

He doesn’t know why. He also crafted his answer from the Sgt. Schultz defense. DWS would have said there is a budget.

Kissmygrits on December 13, 2011 at 2:04 PM

What? Morning Joe awoke from his stupor long enough to ask a good question?

Roymunson on December 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM

”I would have been impeached as governor [if I hadn't produced a budget],” Manchin says. “I would have been impeached. I had to put a budget together.”

Well Senator, if it’s good enough for a governor, it’s good enough for a president.

I expect you’ll be filing an Article of Impeachment as soon as possible.

Flora Duh on December 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM

OT…

Donald Trump just canceled his debate.

JPeterman on December 13, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I refered to this on another thread yesterday. The segment before was non stop yuks at the GOP candidate’s expense with every comment garnering more laughs than the previous. It was no holds barred insults across the board with laughter all around.

And then Joe Manchin did this to them. Think Clenis at Ron Brown’s funeral in the sudden change in mood.

DanMan on December 13, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Ms Korbe,

No offense intended to you personally but this story is almost two days old. I used to think that HA broke new stories way ahead of my “other” sources.

I must imagine things have not changed; just maybe I am becoming such a compulsive, frenetic political junkie that I stumble on these things a lot earlier now in my desperate search for that one silver bullet, that one nugget: the first solid, irrefutable clue that Obama will be heading for the exits in January 2013.

..anyway, love your work.

~TWP

The War Planner on December 13, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Don’t believe this for a second. Look at his voting record in the senate so far. He’s voted with Harry Reid on all the important stuff. He’s playing Mr. Conservative Democrat on the talk show circuit. But when push comes to shove he’s no better than Reid or Chuckie Shumer.

angryed on December 13, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Mika sure doesn’t look too happy at this.

Mr. Bingley on December 13, 2011 at 2:12 PM

He just wants to have his cake and eat it too. It’s “us” Democrats when he’s voting to pass legislation which merely buys votes from pet constituencies but it’s “those” democrats when someone points out the Senate hasn’t passed a budget in almost 1000 days.

tommyboy on December 13, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Poor Democrats, now they have to deal with an Arlen Specter of their very own.
Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Nah, Joe will just say this stuff, but he’ll still vote with the Democrats.

myrenovations on December 13, 2011 at 2:12 PM

They should all be impeached.

Mord on December 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM

OT: just voted in the national townhall/hot air primary

Yahoo!

cmsinaz on December 13, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Who cares what Manchin says, in the end he’ll vote for everything he’s told to vote for.

Manchin is a useful idiot for the democrats. He’ll sound all moderate and crap (thus, all democrats are as moderate!), but then he’ll vote with the socialist line like a good puppy.

lorien1973 on December 13, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Yahoo!

cmsinaz on December 13, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I got an error. No ticket number or something?

lorien1973 on December 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Guys Joe Manchin has been as good a democrat as we can hope for all along, we need to win guys like this over. If we spend our time bashing even the reasonable democrats, then we have no hope of ever getting things accomplished. There are only a handful of reasonable dems in congress, so lets not alienate them by bashing them no matter what. Manchin is a good guy. Definitely not perfect, given that he’s a democrat, but I got news for you…there is no such thing as a utopia where only true conservatives exist in our government. So lets find the democrats that we can work with and get stuff done. If we refuse to do even that, then we essentially cede power, because the extreme democrats like Pelosi and Reid will win over the Joe Manchins of the world to get things done.

stampi on December 13, 2011 at 2:20 PM

If and when it hits 1000 days, the RNC and every house member needs to go on Every lsm program and shout it out loud

cmsinaz on December 13, 2011 at 2:21 PM

A budget implies controlled and limited spending. Without it the sky is the limit.

rjoco1 on December 13, 2011 at 2:22 PM

forget this guy, he voted for obamacare and then 6 months later was saying he wouldnt have if he had read the bill. WV GOP needs to go after this seat hard!!

chasdal on December 13, 2011 at 2:23 PM

If Mitch McConnell’s Senate had not produced a budget for nearly 1,000 days, do you think the MFM might have taken notice?

But Harry Reid gets a free pass. Because he’s such a swell, likeable old corpse.

NoDonkey on December 13, 2011 at 2:25 PM

stampi on December 13, 2011 at 2:20 PM

nothing reasonable about this guy. he’s lying his a$$ off hoping to fool the voters for when he has to face election.

chasdal on December 13, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Yes, just sit back and watch. That’s what we are looking for!!

tommer74 on December 13, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Try again lorien…it took the 2nd time for me

cmsinaz on December 13, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Just a reminder here, folks. This guy is a Democrat. Do NOT be fooled into thinking he’s a conservative or moderate Democrat. Like any Democrat, he WILL fall in line if a crucial vote comes up. Remember how all the blue dogs played everybody on the Obamacare fiasco?

This guy is a Democrat. He’s probably just saying this garbage to set up a run for the presidency 4 years from now – “Hey, look, I’m not one of those icky liberal Democrats, I’m a conservative Democrat (wink). See, I even criticized my own party at times (while doing diddly about it).”

Do NOT be fooled.

IcedTea on December 13, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I really don’t Understand how a state like West VA, full of essentially conservative folks, with Coal as a major industry keep sending Democrats to Congress. Even during the Civil War they were Republicans… what happened?

Cafedumerde on December 13, 2011 at 2:34 PM

I expect you’ll be filing an Article of Impeachment as soon as possible.

Flora Duh on December 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM

The clock is ticking Mr Manchin

Ms Korbe,

..anyway, love your work.

~TWP

The War Planner on December 13, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I think maybe it took her 2 days to prepare her stomach to watch Morning Joe

Sven Pook on December 13, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Do NOT be fooled.

IcedTea on December 13, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Yes, but he is a useful idiot. Just like Arlen Specter was for the Democrats, or Mike Castle would have been. We should elevate Manchin’s comments to show “bipartisan” disdain for the Obama Agenda. We can worry about tearing down Manchin for hypocrisy later; for now, we should use Manchin’s words to bludgeon his fellow Democrats and further aggravate the Hillary-Obama rift in the Democratic Party.

Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Joe Manchin’s advisers are positioning him perfectly for a big win in 2012,. Remember the 2010 ad where Manchin fired a shotgun shell through Obama’s cap&trade bill. His “fellow Senate Democrats” are grateful for the criticism, because it’s part of an effort to help them keep the West Virginia seat and perhaps a majority. Are Jon Tester, Bill Nelson, Claire McCaskill worried their Republican opponent will use Manchin’s critique against them?
Average Montana/Florida/Missouri voter: Who’s Joe Manchin?

A win for Manchin and a win for the Democrats

Ala Pundit on December 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM

cmsinaz on December 13, 2011 at 2:21 PM

They ought to be doing that everyday leading up to 1,000 days too.

DanMan on December 13, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Yes, I am sure the people in West Virginia find this a moment of pure comedy gold.

Just curious, what has Manchin done about the budget up until now…that is besides laughing at it?

The man simply occupies the seat and provide a peanut gallery for Obama’s job-killing antics and feckless, meandering trail of destruction. But keep laughing.

Marcus Traianus on December 13, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I put up a daily mention on Facebook that the Senate wasn’t doing it’s job back when the count was about 900 days. Something like, “900 days and the US Senate hasn’t done it’s job and prepared a budget. Go tell them to do their job!!

No one commented, why doesn’t anyone care about this???

Sven Pook on December 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I expect you’ll be filing an Article of Impeachment as soon as possible.

Flora Duh on December 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM

He can’t; only the House can impeach. The Senate handles the trials.

Now since the criticism is directed at Reid, he could file a motion to expel his own Majority Leader from the Senate… :)

irishspy on December 13, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM

no, he isnt a useful idiot. he never votes w/ the republicans. and if we help to publicize his interview we just make it harder for a real republican to get that seat.

chasdal on December 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Hmm… I believe he’s up for re-election next year.

Otherwise he’d be as quite as a church-mouse concerning Dear Leader’s antics.

CPT. Charles on December 13, 2011 at 2:51 PM

“strongly indicted”? ? Inigo Montoya scoffs at you TK.

FineasFinn on December 13, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Budget, smudget.

There will only be an outcry of any kind when the entitlement checks stop.

Until the dole gets clogged, there will be no demand for a budget.

No consequences for Dems. Why bother?

marybel on December 13, 2011 at 2:52 PM

chasdal on December 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I disagree. A lot of Hillary’s supporters that I’ve talked to are, to put it lightly, still p*ssed off at Barack Obama. They think he is a lightweight phony who has brought their party to the brink of ruin, and they are absolutely convinced that this never would have happened under Clinton’s guidance. Aside from the economy and Obamacare, getting the aggrieved and now-vindicated Clinton-supporters to turn out at the ballot box will be Obama’s biggest challenge in 2012. The GOP should be using every tool in the box to splinter the Democratic base, even if it requires elevating Joe Manchin.

Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Let’s hope it stops Nov. 12, 2012.

Presumably you mean the 20th Jan., 2013?

Tzetzes on December 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM

True danman

cmsinaz on December 13, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM

It doesn’t matter. The liberals will fall in line, as they always do. Remember all that “PUMA” stuff from 2008? It was just a bunch of hot air, er, gas. They’ll cry and moan all they want… as they pull the lever for Obama.

IcedTea on December 13, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Yea, ole Joe is a DINO for sure. It is imperative that the GOP wins the Senate in 2012, certainly the House is a sure bet. I do not believe the Failed President will win re-election as his administration is an utter and complete failure. This way all bills and money will be approved by the GOP and the Failed President will not VETO too many. If he continues his disregard for the laws of the land and the Constitution, then the GOP will have the power to impeach/convict this communist liar.

Brushjumper on December 13, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Speaking of Hillary-Democrats going off the reservation, here is a House Dem blasting Obama as an “arrogant, alienating professor” who lacks essential leadership qualities: http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/cardozas-corner/198861-the-professorial-president

Question: Are the Clinton loyalists in the Democratic Party kneecapping Obama heading into an election year? Surely they understand that a President Newt Gingrich would set up a truly epic Clinton vs. Gingrich fight in 2016…

Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 3:06 PM

IcedTea on December 13, 2011 at 2:59 PM

No doubt the liberals will. But I don’t think the same can be said for the more moderate Dems who were Clinton supporters. I don’t know if you know any Hillaristas, but they think Obama is a joke and they would view his loss in 2012 (after four years of his disastrous presidency) as nothing more than a cherry on their proverbial vindication-sundae. They aren’t going to vote Republican, but they are more than willing to sit on their hands and watch Obama lose. They want Obama to lose.

Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM

The only good Democrat is a ………………..defeated at the polls and forced to hang his head in shame in the presence of decent people Democrat.

BIG ROB on December 13, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I think maybe it took her 2 days to prepare her stomach to watch Morning Joe

Sven Pook on December 13, 2011 at 2:37 PM

..excellent point. Ms Korbe is braver than I will *ever* be.

The War Planner on December 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM

This clip needs to be an Ad sent out immediately to start pummeling Obama. Hello you listening Republican Nominees to the morning shows for useable information?

Instead of bashing each other, I wish these candidates would start bashing the Dems and Obama. You can nick each other in the Debates, but go after Obama and Dems in the Ad world.

uhangtight on December 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Perhaps Joe can ask Harry Reid WHY?

Then he can tell the rest of us.

GarandFan on December 13, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I got an error. No ticket number or something?

lorien1973 on December 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Did you show a photo ID. Oh wait, that would be racist, sorry.

SoonerMarine on December 13, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Any demonRat (“moderate” or not) will vote for zer0 on Election Day. Bank on it.

MisterElephant on December 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM

That is an Obama 1.0 intentional design “feature”, and not a bug. After 3 years it should be apparent that “teh One’s” goal is to destroy the middle class’ separateness from the government by squeezing them on all sides and forcing them into a government dependent class.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on December 13, 2011 at 4:23 PM

lawdawg86: Did you see the last paragraph of Carodoza’s blog entry?

Many on the Democratic side wish Hillary Clinton, Gov. Jerry Brown (Calif.), Gov. Martin O’Malley (Md.) or Gov. Andrew Cuomo (N.Y.) were running instead, but the president still has time to learn a thing or two from these skilled politicians. I’ll still take Professor Obama over the “goat rodeo clowns” the Republican field offers, but I fear the overall student body — American voters — will give him a failing grade next November if he doesn’t improve his performance

Seriously? He refers to the Republican contenders as “goat rodeo clowns”??? He thinks Jerry Brown (CA) would be a better Dem contender than Obama?

Cardoza has his own critical thinking and perception problems, it appears.

onlineanalyst on December 13, 2011 at 4:25 PM

“I don’t have an excuse.”

That is a direct response. That is a straight answer.

He may be on the left, but I have to give him props for being straightforward AND giving an example of what he had to know before touch a budget.

madmonkphotog on December 13, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Why doesn’t Joe just ask the funeral director looking guy .. Harry Reid

J_Crater on December 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Call me nuts but Manchin kind of looks like Joe Theismann.

fegerter on December 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Obviously Joe didn’t get the memo. I expect next time he’ll act appropriately.

GeorgiaBuckeye on December 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM

There is a common adage in Government. “If you do nothing, then you can’t get blamed for it.”

jpcpt03 on December 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Let’s see…that’s about 400 days in the Senate for you, Manchin. I believe this is your first public comment regarding the 1,500 days since the Democrats last proposed a budget, as required by law.

Pardon me for being judgmental, but go fuc* yourself, Joe. A responsible elected official would have walked in the door and started screaming.

Jaibones on December 13, 2011 at 5:43 PM

If the Republicans take the Senate next year, it wouldn’t surprise me if Manchin changes parties…

playsalieri on December 14, 2011 at 12:06 AM

I am sorry but this man is not a democrat. He is your Susan Colins or Scotty Brown. I doubt real dems will lose any sleep if he loses to a republican when he is up for reelection.

Uppereastside on December 14, 2011 at 8:45 AM

How about all of us who have FB pages start posting a “budget watch” or budget countdown on our pages to start to bring attention to this dereliction of duty? While those of us who are longtime HA fans and readers know of this, the media has barely made note of this issue.

MomInLatteland on December 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM

“Hope” is the plan. “Change” is the result. I thought Democrats knew that.

virgo on December 14, 2011 at 11:45 AM