Be prepared: Another open registration day coming tomorrow!

posted at 8:42 am on December 13, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

After all the fun we had last week in holding our open registration, who wouldn’t want to relive it the very next week?  Our courageous staff support at Townhall has been medically cleared for duty, our systems have been fortified, and mainly we’re all a bunch of masochists.  What could go wrong?

So tomorrow, we will once again hold an open registration for new commenters here at Hot Air, between 9 am and 4 pm ET, when our staff support is on duty to assist in the process.  Just like last week, we will approve new registrants, not process amnesty requests for previously-banned commenters. We’ll have instructions in tomorrow’s post on how this works and what to expect — so please make sure you read those before peppering us with questions we have already answered.

Why hold another right now?  First, we think we fixed the problems that plagued us last week, so it should go much smoother.  Also, we want to add as many commenters as we can in order to increase participation in a new feature we will launch here and at our sister site Townhall — the Hot Air/Townhall Republican primary!  (They’re probably calling it the Townhall/Hot Air Republican primary over there, but what do they know?)  Only registered commenters will be able to vote — so make sure you register tomorrow!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

cozmo on December 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Praying to commence directly. I didn’t know she was a she. For the record I do find her awesome. I can always count on her to make me chuckle. I love laughter in these alarming days in which we are living. Anything I can do to correct my course?

Bmore on December 13, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Well now that I am logged in can’t think of anything to say, so I’ll just say HI kids!

Found out last week I was still registered, thought if you didn’t use your account for a while you lost it.

mcmm on December 13, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Actually, not checking in at Hot Air for a long time is a pretty good indication that you’ve lost it. I’m glad you finally came to your senses!

backwoods conservative on December 13, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Just a headsup, you can’t vote Huntsman in the Town Hall survey, I got a good laugh about that.

amazingmets on December 13, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Anything I can do to correct my course?

Bmore on December 13, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Tell her how you think those in polyamorous relationships should all be tortured to death.

NotCoach on December 13, 2011 at 1:47 PM

come in peace. Aint America and Hotair great!!

dakota on December 13, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Dang, you’re pretty good. Hope it didn’t sail right over the heads of many here. Did you get voted class president? I always hated those guys.
And yeah, we still have plenty of nutballs that have been here forever.

cozmo on December 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Thanks cozmo, naa looks like you’ll have to find another reason to dislike me. Anyhow it’s good to be over the wall. Big part of what I wanted to say, though I spent the least amount of time on it, was that you guys made Hotair what it is. ‘preciate it

dakota on December 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM

NotCoach on December 13, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I think I’ll let it maybe just go away for now and take my punishment if or when it comes. I don’t want to dig any deeper a hole for myself. Thanks for the tip should I need it later for any reason.

Bmore on December 13, 2011 at 1:56 PM

as Han Solo once said, “I have a bad feeling about this.”

Sincerely,
cane_loader

cane_loader on December 13, 2011 at 9:55 AM

George Lucas’s merry band put that line in one character or another’s mouth in all six Star Wars movies. See? The more, the merrier! :)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 13, 2011 at 1:56 PM

One week inside and I’m a HA veteran! Buwahaha! Move aside, you oldsters!

SomeCallMeJohn on December 13, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Although I had numerous problems with the previous open registration, particularly due to the email server crash so passwords weren’t sent out, the Hot Air staff did correct the problems and, eventually, I got connected. So, don’t get upset at any initial problems – you’ll get an log-in account.

TeaPartyNation on December 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Whew! Thread coming to a close, apparently that was a close one.

Bmore on December 13, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I was sent an e-mail to vote but surprised that Rick SAntorum was not on the ballot. I’d pick him over Bachman or Paul any day.

gerrym51 on December 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM

look whippersnapper. Stay outta my way, and I won’t trample you with my group think and oldtimers smell!

upinak on December 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Oh yeah, well I’ll knock you over with my one week old baby butt smell!!

dakota on December 13, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Welcome newborns!

Brian on December 13, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I’ll share this with you all in hopes of allaying any concerns about the new open registration.

The other night… late… I posted my second ever post with HOTAIR… and some of the vets measured me… and I measured some of them. Some of you who were on the forum then recall that things got a little out of hand, due to initial misunderstandings generated mostly by people not being acquainted with one another’s writing style or ‘voice’… and a ‘truce’ was negotiated, which I readily and gladly accepted, by a couple of very gracious vets. ( I’d also like to thank LOURDES specifically for the comments that served to smooth the waters over on the QOTD thread afterward.)

So, my experience is that the vets (that is to say… those who’ve been posting on this forum for some time) are insightful, smart, and savvy people. They’re smart enough to sound out a new poster on more than one issue, and over a period of time, before making up their mind about that posters credibility or intentions. One of the vets suggested to me that I ‘let it all roll off my back’ the other night, until we got to know one another better. Sound advise, indeed… and advise that I would pass on to all of the new registrants. Give it some time and get to know one another. We’ll all have to endure the disrunption while the moderators sort out the trolls and plants.

thatsafactjack on December 13, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Theme Song of the Open Registration

Soon on HotAir
Oldtimers better beware
‘Cause you will hear the cry
Ron Paul!

Just listen to the rhythm of the Doctor’s full prescription
The Neocon$ are trembling, the Jew$ have got conniptions
He’ll stop the war–
Stop stepping on their prayer rug
And then Iran will be happy, and Atlas will shrug
Over Ron Paul! Loved by the people, he’s
Ron Paul! Loved by the troops, he is
Ron Paul! He’ll make a housecall on you

Ron Paul Ron Paul
Ron Paul Ron Paul

spiritof61 on December 13, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Lily on December 13, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Ohh yeah, I remember you! I nearly swallowed the bait a few weeks ago. Phffewww! Glad I woke up when I came across the “world sadness” ploy. Got a good laugh from that one.

Gang-of-One on December 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM

When and where have I done this?

On many, many occasions you link to comments made by Hot Air members from YEARS ago. You clearly have an unhealthy obsession with others here.

I have never made degrading remarks about any female that didn’t say or do something so stupid as to warrant them.

MadisonConservative on December 13, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I have seen you on many occasions objectify women because of their looks. Jeri Thompson was one of them. And remind us what you were saying about Tina when she first started here at Hot Air.

You’re a pig.

csdeven on December 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Voting in the Hot Air/Townhall GOP primary is open.

csdeven on December 13, 2011 at 3:05 PM

While you guys are having open registration, is anyone working on making a Hot Air smart phone app? The only conservative news/blog site I know that has one is The Drudge Report, which seems to work better in app form for some reason (I think it is the fact that there’s only one column on the app as opposed to three on the site.)

I like this site more than The Drudge Report because it suits my generation, i.e. those whose formative years were not during the Cold War.

BigWillieStyles on December 13, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Gang-of-One on December 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Yeah, I hooked a few that day. But I catch and release. Bishop, he reels ‘em in and whomps ‘em a good one. He has no mercy.

Lily on December 13, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I know, upon password time, I was thinking of better passwords than nicknames. Gonna have to think of something…

The Nerve on December 13, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Okay, who here besides me believes the trolls will come up from under their bridges to register?

Anyone? Anyone?

madmonkphotog on December 13, 2011 at 3:57 PM

csdeven on December 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM

You are really weird.

Al in St. Lou on December 13, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Hey, its my first post here, thanks to the HA staff for this oportunity.

gerardo on December 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM

libfreeordie on December 13, 2011 at 9:07 AM

You’re a lib? lol, You do understand that you screen-name connotes a commenter who wants to be “free” of libs. “libfree” or die. (Get the way I read it?) Now, your comments make sense.

hawkdriver on December 13, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Well, liberals ARE the masters of the unintended consequence…

ddrintn on December 13, 2011 at 5:20 PM

csdeven on December 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM

You are really weird.

Al in St. Lou on December 13, 2011 at 3:57 PM

You have an obvious flair for understatement.

ddrintn on December 13, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Yippie!

Dino V on December 13, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Dusting off my Slim Whitman collection preparing for the great lib brain splosions…

Roy Rogers on December 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Voting in the Hot Air/Townhall GOP primary is open.

csdeven on December 13, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I didn’t a password in my email. Checked my spam box and there’s nothing there. Anyone else having a problem?

Conservative Independent on December 13, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Roy Rogers on December 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Things are a’gittin’ stirred up a mite around here, ol’ pard.

kingsjester on December 13, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Roy Rogers on December 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM

‘Tis the Season!

Del Dolemonte on December 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Ed, it grows more apparent over time that you guys are just driving for the hits/money.

HA is losing (if not lost) its relevance as a place for discussion of conservative thought and topics. Great place to lob personal attacks back and forth, or to bulk post talking points from both sides of the aisle, I suppose. If that’s what floats your boat.

Midas on December 13, 2011 at 7:05 PM

More new registrants? Could it be that HotAir is going to the dogs?

My collie says:

Presuming that they let me register, we’ll know for sure sometime tomorrow.

CyberCipher on December 13, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Don’t do it………….it’s a trap…

MaxSplinters on December 13, 2011 at 8:31 PM

With more posters the site should have numbered comments to make it easy to find someone you want to harrass have a conversation with.

Siddhartha Vicious on December 13, 2011 at 8:35 PM

But some of the new posters are earnest conservatives who just want to be loved, have a care for them, won’t you?

libfreeordie on December 13, 2011 at 9:07 AM

This is the deep end of the grown-up pool — not the wading pool.
They sink or swim on their own merits.

Life is tough. It’s even tougher when you’re stupid liberal.

Solaratov on December 14, 2011 at 12:48 AM

in the rocky sand box. I still have some donated money let… what should I do for a “after Christmas” box?

upinak on December 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Order some Slipstream from Crusader Weaponry and have it shipped to the unit of your choice.
They will bless you forever.

Solaratov on December 14, 2011 at 12:58 AM

More new registrants? Could it be that HotAir is going to the dogs?

My collie says:

Presuming that they let me register, we’ll know for sure sometime tomorrow.

CyberCipher on December 13, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Operation: Eternal September continues apace.

corleone on December 14, 2011 at 1:36 AM

No standards!

First you let me in; now all the rest of the riffraff…

patch on December 14, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Dang, I wish I woulda picked “Riff-Raff” for my handle.

Where is our Underdog?