Romney: Newt is in front, but this thing could go until June

posted at 8:30 pm on December 12, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

I wouldn’t exactly call it a sense of desperation, but it certainly looks like Mitt Romney is playing the game of lowering expectations going into the early and primary caucus states. Found at National Review, the full coverage of the comments is at Politico. For most of this year, Mitt has been trying to stay above the fray in terms of the rest of the field, but now he’s admitting that Newt is the frontrunner, but he also hints that he doesn’t plan on going away any time soon.

Mitt Romney, who just a month ago had hoped to seal the GOP presidential nomination with Florida’s primary on Jan. 31, tells POLITICO that he now foresees an epic fight with Newt Gingrich that could last through the California primary on June 5.

Asked if the former House speaker is the front-runner, Romney replied bluntly: “He is right now.”

Romney made it clear that he would rather lose than make incendiary charges about Gingrich that could help President Barack Obama in the general election. And the former Massachusetts governor said the nomination “is not going to be decided in just a couple of contests” and “could go for months and months.”

“You see how dramatically the numbers have moved and how quickly they have over the last year?” he replied Monday during a video interview at a grubby French-Canadian diner, Chez Vachon, a storied campaign stop that has hosted George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush.

“It’s a very fluid electorate. I think I’ll get the nomination. I can’t predict when. … I’ve got — what? — five or six more months to go to make that a reality.”

It could be easy to write this off as bluster, but Romney has something to back up his statements. More specifically, about 17 million somethings. Unlike some of the other candidates who may be so starved for cash that a poor showing could see them heading out the door after New Hampshire, Mitt has the money, the organization and – perhaps most importantly – the time to stick around for the later, larger population states. Newt, on the other hand, is very experienced in building a political organization, but he’s still starting nearly from scratch in a lot of these states.

That’s not to say that Newt can’t just ride a grassroots wave and rely on earned media until he gets local organizations in place, but Romney did have a head start. If they don’t do well in the first few primaries, you may see people like Bachmann, Santorum and Huntsman dropping out, but Mitt could hang around for some time to come. And I don’t think anyone’s crystal ball is good enough to say what’s going to happen in April and May at this point.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

According to the CDC, women have an 80 percent chance of getting HPV by the time they are 50.

NbyNW on December 12, 2011 at 11:11 PM

90% of all cases of HPV self cure. If not, regular checkups will catch it and it can be cured through standard drugs. It does not prevent all cervical cancer and not even all HPV caused cervical cancer. Its effectiveness wears off over time. When all is said and done, almost every single case of cervical cancer that results in a death is because the women failed to get regular checkups and pap smears.

I agree that the drug has value, and if people want to use it, great. I do not think that it is something the government, even state, should be forcing down peoples throats. Opt out still forces action on the part of supposedly free citizens.

astonerii on December 12, 2011 at 11:23 PM

astoerri on December 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM

WOW! That’s a lot of work! I would have had to start typing all of that last week, and by the time I was done…be searching the archives for this thread….Nice Job!

KOOLAID2 on December 12, 2011 at 11:27 PM

astonerii on December 12, 2011 at 10:42 PM
College and University seats are limited in number. Do you disagree with this statement? Yes. Colleges and universities are always growing. My college had 5,000+ students in the 60′s. Now it has 41,000+
College and University all receive far more applicants for entry in their programs than they have seats available, thus they turn some people away. Do you disagree with this statement?Yes. You twist the facts. Certain schools have specific criteria, i.e., class standing, test scores, etc. So those who don’t meet the requirements attend their second, third choices, etc. EVERY student who wants to attend a Texas school can do so. It may not be the one they want the most. There is a ‘seat’ somewhere they can qualify for. College and University seats are filled by one of the following groups, American Citizen Texas residents, American Citizen other state residents, Foreign exchange students with legal documentation from the federal government allowing them to study in America, and apparently illegal aliens. Do you think I have too many groups or that I missed some groups? Your guess is as good as mine
If the number of seats are limited, and the number of applicants exceeds the number of seats, if one group increases in number, what must happen to the other three groups? If you answered that their total numbers must be decreased, then how can you then claim that the law, which by it’s nature is intended to allow more illegal alien Texas residents to attend higher education than otherwise would, does not in fact take away the opportunity of an American citizen?Absolutely not. Your logic has no foundation. Show me one student who qualifies that has been denied the opportunity. You can’t.

PatrickHenry599 on December 12, 2011 at 11:28 PM

astonerii…

Not a single Texan was affected by that EO. How many people have been affected by the Global Warming Scam?How many jobs have been lost by the EPA forcing the Global Warming Scam regulations down the throats of free citizens? How many regional industries have gone bust since Obama too office?

Rick Perry has been fighting the EPA since he was an Agr. Commissioner in the 90′s. That’s in his record.

Newt was singing the praises of the early ecology/earth movement when he was a history professor in Georgia…He’s always bought into it.

workingclass artist on December 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM

KOOLAID2 on December 12, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I started it this morning. But with my baby having eczema, I think food allergy, I got lazy about halfway through.

I know Newts got his issues, but it is not like we have George Washington running against him.

My preferential choice is Bachmann of those running. But Newt is treated well compared to how she is treated here. Apparently Gardasill is a sacrosanct topic for many here for some reason.

astonerii on December 12, 2011 at 11:33 PM

astonerii on December 12, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Good points. However, if 80% of women eventually get the disease, I think it’s irrelevant whether it’s a sexually transmitted disease or not. Men carry the disease also, so even if a girl is not sexually active until she marries, she still has a high probability of getting infected from her husband. You can debate whether or not it’s cost effective for all women to be vaccinated, but women do die from it, and not using it does have a price. Using the term “force feeding” is inaccurate, provocative and just plain silly, IMO.

NbyNW on December 12, 2011 at 11:34 PM

workingclass artist on December 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Was Newt in power? Being someone’s elected representative? Brainstorming is not something I plan to start punishing leaders for doing. While I think it does him no good to be thinking out loud like that, what he does do is give people many ideas, and lets them help him work it out. In the end, when he had power to do something, he did the good and conservative thing.

You know, I would be much nicer to your chosen one if you and your friends were not busy trying to take my second choice candidate down in order to help your second rate already been a flavor of the week loser regain some of his lost support.

astonerii on December 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Has Bachmann named the Tardisil Mommy who claimed her daughter went retarded because of the HPV vaccine astonerii?

Yeah…I thought so.

Bachmann has this annoying tendency to pull crapola outta thin air…And her way of kicking folks when their down like she did with Cain is well…charming

She will go away after Iowa because most reasonable folks see right though her, her book has tanked…and she’ll lose her congressional seat.

workingclass artist on December 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM

NbyNW on December 12, 2011 at 11:34 PM

100% of humans get the flu. Does that mean that 100% of humans right now have the flu?

80% get the virus at some point in their life. 90% of the cases self cure. The other 10% would be cured if they just simply went to the doctor and got a check up and took medication for it.

Yes the vaccine has value. But what do you consider a mandate? Optional offering? You take your kid to school, it happens to be their 6th year, you did not get her vaccinated, I am sorry, we cannot register her unless she gets a shot. They do not tell parent right then and there, here is a form, all you have to do is sign and date it and we can register your child, they tell her, go get the shot, or your kid is not going to be in school. What do you consider that? I call it force feeding, just like Obamacare is force feeding us health insurance, and there are several opt outs. One, you can convert to Islam to get… Is that good policy?

astonerii on December 12, 2011 at 11:42 PM

ok….Palin isn’t running and Herman Cain dropped out.

workingclass artist on December 12, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I didn’t automatically go to Cain when Palin announced she was not opting in this election cycle. I stayed undecided for a long time until I observed the pattern that has been developing from the Obama Camp. He IS going to make this a 99%/1% nasty election next year. He can’t run on his record. He needs to change the subject and find someone else to vilify. Romney fits the bill perfectly for this OWS cycle. They are going to resurrect the OWS again in the spring. It is a concerted effort and coordinated campaign with the far left nut balls with money and the Obama campaign.

Obama’s approval numbers are in the tank. He can be defeated in a landslide. Unfortunately, we have a plethora of flawed candidates to evaluate as the one we want to put up against him.

I lived in Texas in the earlier part of this past decade. I actually voted for Perry in 2006. My best friend that I made while I lived in the beautiful Hill country down there is actually close social and political friends of both GW Bush and the Perry’s. She and her husband have had many private dinners at the governor’s mansion over the past several years.

I believe that Perry is a man of honor. I like his decent record in Texas. I think he has good intentions. On a trivial note, that ad he is running where he is wearing that outdoor jacket, wow, HAWT!!! However, I just am not sure he has the chops in this election cycle. I could be way wrong.

That leaves Newt or Romney. I am firmly in the 75% ABR camp. So wow, how does one choose?

I am now in Michigan, so I can watch the first few elections unfold before I have to go vote in our primary. I just now for sure I am NOT voting for Romney, Paul, Huntsman and probably not voting for Bachmann or Santorum.

So I have the luxury of waiting just about 8 weeks or so before I have to narrow it down to Newt or Perry.

I really haven’t made up my mind. I just want people to understand here that the narrative is going to be the OWS 99/1 and Romney fits the bill perfectly for the Obama campaign to execute their plans next year. Newt just doesn’t fit that 1% narrative like they are setting up.

All of the K street, freddie mac income, shutting down the gov’t against clinton in the 90′s, all of that is just going to fit their narrative of the FAIRNESS for the 99% and the 1% are eeeeevvvviiillll !!!!!

On the visual side, we have a white haired old white dude against the supposedly hip Obama, mr. cool, mr. suave, etc. However, the press isn’t carrying that water as much this election cycle. Obama has shown he can be rattled and he has a glass jaw. So while the visuals of coolness and hipness just doesn’t fit with Newt as the opponent, Newt can hit that glass jaw and keep Obama on defense. He doesn’t know how to play defense as well.

Perry, well we will have the Bush 3.0 comparison there in the press. You know it and I know it. However, his decency will come through. His ability to communicate is not as sharp as Newt’s so that could be a disadvantage against Oliar, but with enough prep, Perry might be able to hold Obama’s flagrant lies against him.

Romney? I shudder to think about this. Romeny/Obamacare – neutered. Bain capital picture, fits the 1% eeeevvvillll narrative perfectly. Romney doesn’t know how to land a punch. Romney’s surrogates are not as dirty and nasty as Obama’s surrogates. Romney will never get out of the gate after the convention. Obama will have him painted in a box and there is not that much time to regroup and try to reset before the November election.

Thus our dilemma.

The tea partiers are smart enough to be focusing on the COngressional and Senate races. I think we will see a lot of effort and money flowing into those races. They want to for sure set up a firewall in the worst case scenario that Oliar gets re-elected. However, SCOTUS is the reason we just have to get this traitor out of the White House.

This is the pivotal election of our lifetime. Are we going to allow the TAKERS to gain control of our government and grind the MAKERS into poverty through horrible government interference and turn us into a has been economic state like any country in Europe?

This is just too frightening to contemplate.

karenhasfreedom on December 12, 2011 at 11:43 PM

politics aint’ beanbag astonerii

workingclass artist on December 12, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Hey,karenhasfreedom, I am fortunate to live in the Texas Hill Country. Sorry you had to leave us.

PatrickHenry599 on December 12, 2011 at 11:46 PM

politics aint’ beanbag astonerii

workingclass artist on December 12, 2011 at 11:43 PM

I am pretty sure I said that it is a full contact sport.

astonerii on December 12, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Noot’s a disaster. Perry would trump him on every level except debating, which is noot’s only strong point. Unfortunatly debate skillz are moot because noot will be busy with 24/7 crisis control vs. the MSM airing out his landfills of dirty laundry.

Ruiner on December 12, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Anyone who declares that they will stay home and not vote for whomever the GOP nominee is, thus handing Obama a second term, is an idiot.

JPeterman on December 12, 2011 at 10:55 PM

You make me sick. Have you ever considered sending Washington a message instead of going along with the status quo year after year after year! What are you afraid of? If you keep supporting the establishment candidate then you deserve to be taxed at a higher rate and live in the socialist state they give you. You have no right to complain. Well, not me. I recommend every single Republican voter stay home or write in another name if the GOP nominee is RomneyCare or Gingrich/Pelosi. Send Washington a message that we don’t want the Establishment’s candidate anymore.

apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Oh look, another idiot!

JPeterman on December 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Again, I won’t hold my nose and vote for Mittens. No doubt you’ll be holding your manhood while you vote for your timid, well coiffed “man-crush”.

vilebody on December 12, 2011 at 11:52 PM

apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Could you explain how Gingrich is the establishment candidate?

astonerii on December 12, 2011 at 11:57 PM

And we’re going to play the hand we were dealt, and help one of these candidates become a GREAT conservative leader.

We’ve slapped sense into Newt….slapped the stupid right out of him!

We’ve pulled Mitten’s Right so far, fast and hard that I’m sure he’s got the bends.

Perry is backpeddling on his missteps so fast that if he learned to juggle he could join the circus.

We have a Bachman in the Race.

We had a Cain in the race (999 / drink).

These candidates want our business and their all making hard right commitments to get it.

We’re winning – I’m surprised more people don’t see it.

This is just too frightening to contemplate.

karenhasfreedom on December 12, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Naw…..it’s just starting to get good….buckle up.

Tim_CA on December 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM

karenhasfreedom on December 12, 2011 at 11:43 PM

The economy is the reason…the primary reason that Perry can beat Obama with the Texas Record. Texas is holding up the entire US economy. 3 out 4 private sector jobs have been created in Texas during Rick Perry’s tenure as governor. Texas has created more jobs then all of the other states combined. That is what voters will care about. No other candidate can sell the Texas Economy like he can because he’s been doing it for years…He’s been selling states rights to other governors for years as the leader of the RGA.

Obama can’t fight that.

His only option is to make the race about anything but the economy if Gov. Perry is his opponent and all Obama will have left is fringe groups for support.

That is how Gov. Perry beats Obama.

workingclass artist on December 13, 2011 at 12:00 AM

apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 11:51 PM

We tried that in 1992 after “read my lips” screwed us. So 20% of us voted for Perot. That got us 8 years of Clinton.

Only this time, it is a million times more dangerous because for all his faults, at least Clinton did not HATE America. He loved being President and wasn’t trying to “fundamentally transform” us. And he did get us the 1994 House flip to republicans. Mixed bag from that voter temper tantrum in 1992.

karenhasfreedom on December 13, 2011 at 12:01 AM

workingclass artist on December 13, 2011 at 12:00 AM

That is why Perry is still on my list. If I was not needed back here in Michigan, I would STILL be in Texas. I LOVE Texas. I love the attitude there. I love the “don’t tread on me” atmosphere. I love how gentlemenly the guys are down there. They say “ma’am”, they open doors, they tip their hats, I just love the chivalry. I love how independent Texans are. They don’t want ANYONE butting in. They will figure out how to solve their own problems.

Unfortunately, we have a huge culture outside of Texas who has been conditioned to think government can be their answer to their problems. We have a lot of re-education to go to re-teach the constitution to the under 40 crowd. We allowed the progressives to take our education system hostage and while we were busy earning a living, they were busy brainwashing 2 generations that big government is GOOD.

As I said, I am not going to decide between Newt or Perry until just before the Michigan primary. I have 8 weeks to watch everything unfold.

Unfortunately, I am lean on funds this cycle because I am opening my own insurance agency but I can sure volunteer (and meet potential clients :) ) next year. I just will have to focus on state and congressional elections if Mitt is the nominee. I can’t get excited about volunteering for him. I will vote for whoever is on the ticket, though (disclaimer, NOT Paul, he is a NUT JOB).

karenhasfreedom on December 13, 2011 at 12:10 AM

SO… Glenn Beck will support a 3rd Party bid if Newt is the nominee?
And people think Newt has a big ego?
Talk about an inflated sense of your own importance!
Probably not a great idea when your trying to woo us over to your new TV network.
If I had contemplated it before, I won’t now.
I suggest if you currently subscribe, consider if this guy’s judgement is worth supporting with your dollars.

Geegs1 on December 13, 2011 at 12:11 AM

It’s come to this…

“Speaking at a VFW in New Hampshire on Sunday, Romney tried to make it clear that even though he doesn’t come from a humble background, he knows what it’s like to live humbly.

“Most of the apartments I lived in had no refrigerators,” Romney said before telling a story about his life as a Mormon missionary in France, according to Politico.

“If we were lucky, we actually bought a hose and we stuck it on the sink, and we’d hold there with the hose and the big bucket underneath us in the kitchen and wash ourselves that way,” he said. “And so, I lived in a way that people of lower-middle income in France lived and said to myself, ‘Wow, I sure am lucky to have been born in the United States of America.’”

workingclass artist on December 13, 2011 at 12:12 AM

“Ethics”? Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!

csdeven on December 12, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Everyone read above. That says it all about csdevil. Csdevil doesn’t care about ethics in politics, and, so, how do you argue with a person like that? You don’t. He doesn’t see a problem supporting Romney even if RomneyCare is the state version of ObamaCare. He doesn’t see a problem with Romney arguing against Federal encroachment into people’s lives when Obama’s health care plan is modeled after his own. He has no problem with Gingrich acting as a lobbyist for Fannie Mac or forming an alliance with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on climate change preventing America from becoming energy independent, or working on education with Al Sharpton. None of that matters to csdevil. You can’t reason with him because you can’t say anything is morally “wrong.” Csdevil, your about to get the President that you deserve!

apocalypse on December 13, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Ruiner on December 12, 2011 at 11:49 PM

This commenter gets it! Although no need to call him ‘noot’. Please call him by his proper name so others cannot use that to divert from your excellent points.

Welcome aboard, Ruiner.

I am not sure yet whether we agree on the same candidate but your criticism of Gingrich is spot on.

TheRightMan on December 13, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Again, I won’t hold my nose and vote for Mittens.

vilebody on December 12, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Much respect.

apocalypse on December 13, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Heartland conservatives > Karl Rove

apocalypse on December 13, 2011 at 12:21 AM

workingclass artist on December 13, 2011 at 12:12 AM

This is just a perfect example of the Romney disconnect. He is like a fish out of water.

karenhasfreedom on December 13, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Later.

apocalypse on December 13, 2011 at 12:23 AM

karenhasfreedom on December 13, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Keep fighting the good fight for your candidate on the net in the threads on blogs. Wherever you are, You have lived among us in Texas and that can stay in your heart and you can pass that on to your neighbors because Texas really is a state of mind.

Been to Michigan…Know some folks up in Roscommon, Ann Arbor & Higgins lake is beautiful. I’d like Michigan to have success again…Hell I want all of the states to succeed again.

I don’t want to be a trussed up version of a failed Europe.

workingclass artist on December 13, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Later.

apocalypse on December 13, 2011 at 12:23 AM

peace.

Tim_CA on December 13, 2011 at 12:27 AM

“SO… Glenn Beck will support a 3rd Party bid if Newt is the nominee?
And people think Newt has a big ego?”Geegs1 on December 13, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Beck has moved to Texas

*sigh*

One more reason I want Perry to win & wish Beck would vote with his feet right out of Texas.

workingclass artist on December 13, 2011 at 12:29 AM

astonerii on December 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Perry is my first choice and Gingrich is my second/third, but as far as I’m concerned, Perry, Newt, and Bachmann supporters are all on the same team– we just have different choices for team captain. It does no good for Perry supporters to try to tear down Newt. The fact is Perry, and Perry alone (not the media, not Mitt Romney, not Newt Gingrich, not Herman Cain), screwed up the Perry presidential campaign; he ceded his pole position for the nomination to Gingrich. Newt will now rise or fall on his own merits, as it should be. If Perry seriously wants back in contention, he will roll the dice and offer to engage Newt in one of the one-on-one debates. If he can’t do that, then frankly, he doesn’t deserve to be President and I will happily vote for Newt.

Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 12:34 AM

“If Perry seriously wants back in contention, he will roll the dice and offer to engage Newt in one of the one-on-one debates. If he can’t do that, then frankly, he doesn’t deserve to be President and I will happily vote for Newt.”
Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Ummmm….NOPE!

Perry will engage Newt using his strengths not play into Newt’s.

Let Newt bloviate all he wants…he’s good at bloviating.

Perry will be doing what he’s very good at and that is being with voters. They meet him and they like him. Voters have a positive gut reaction when they meet Rick Perry.

Can’t be taught or faked…it’s natural & he’s been compared to both Reagan and Clinton as a skilled retail politician. Perry digs voters and voters can sense that.

vetting Newt’s weaknesses is the process all of the candidates go through….even Newt this months poll king.

workingclass artist on December 13, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Let Newt bloviate all he wants…he’s good at bloviating.

workingclass artist on December 13, 2011 at 12:49 AM

You are wrong. I like Perry, I would like to see him come back, and what you are advocating might work if Perry had three months to change the race. But he doesn’t have three months. He has three weeks. If he wants any shot at winning this contest, he has to fundamentally shake up the race. That requires a big gamble (much larger than $10,000, ba-zing!)… Perry has to challenge Newt to a debate. Here’s my thinking:

1.) Addressing his weakness.Perry’s biggest weakness is not Gardasil or illegal immigration, it is the perception that he is not quick enough on his feet to go toe-to-toe with Obama. Basically, and I don’t mean this to sound harsh, but Republicans don’t think he is smart enough to take on Obama or be President. What better way to prove that he isn’t a lightweight than to hold his own with the reigning heavyweight champion?

2.) Perry’s strengths are irrelevant when most voters are basing their opinion of him on his weaknesses. It doesn’t matter how great a retail politician Perry is if voters are judging him based on debate performance. He must directly address the root problem that his crippling his candidacy.

3.)Risk-Reward: What if Perry wins? Yes, this is playing into Gingrich’s greatest strength, but that also raises the potential payoff for Perry. If Perry gets the better of anyone in a one-on-one debate it will be news; but if he gets the better of Newt Gingrich, it will absolutely shake up the campaign. Perry would simultaneously cripple Newt’s biggest strength while erasing concerns about his biggest weakness.

4.) The anticipation of a massacre will draw media attention. The media will go into a frenzy because the match-up will seem so lopsided that they expect nothing short of a total bloodbath. If Perry performs well, he’ll get a lot of good buzz.

5.) Expectations will be tremendously high for Gingrich and tremendously low for Perry. Perry wins just by showing up.

6.) Mitt Romney is marginalized. He continues to be the invisible candidate.

7.) Blame it on the soundbites. You say Newt is just “bloviating” in these three-hour debates. You clearly have not watched them. The one with Huntsman on Monday was an incredibly substantive affair. If Perry performs well in this more substantive format, he can blame his earlier performances on the soundbite nature of the MSM debates and credibly claim that he is much better in a more substantive format.

8.) A would-be President should be able to carry on a substantive discussion about policy issues. As mentioned earlier, Newt’s debates have been extremely informative. They have provided a window into the core beliefs and thought processes of the candidates that you just can’t get in the 30-second debates. If Perry is going to be President, I can forgive him for not doing well in the soundbite debates, but he should be able to engage in a meaningful conversation about policy.

9.) Perry is much better in more personal settings and one-on-one interviews. There is reason think he would do better sitting across the table from one other candidate than he does in the multiplayer shoot-outs.

Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 1:30 AM

I just can not believe that Republicans will actually nominate a bloviating back stabbing con artist like Newt Gingrich. The man is a crook for Chrisake. The Obama machine will be all over him.

For instance, just yesterday the NYT put out a story that was picked up by Jennifer Rubin that is devastating for Gingrich..or it should be. It seems Newt got caught {again} in a big fat lie, a ruse.

The Union Leader ran a story in which a Gingrich aide responded to remarks made by Sununu characterizing Newt Gingrich as untrustworthy and unprincipled…but it was not an aide..it was Gingrich himself and the Union Leader knew that and went along with the ruse. Classic Gingrich..sneaky and deceitful.

Now needless to say most of talk radio will probably ignore this as they shill for anyone but Romney, but then they have lost most of their credibility as they have gone from Palin to Perry to Cain to the former disgraced Speaker of the House…But people should not ignore this kind of ruse or stunt, because it shows us that Gingrich has not changed, he is still a skunk.

Terrye on December 13, 2011 at 7:01 AM

astonerii on December 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM

I think that says a lot more about astonerii than it does Perry or his supporters.

IcedTea on December 13, 2011 at 7:37 AM

Bachmann and Santorum dropping out does not help Romney. If anything, it consolodates support around the not-Romney, which will be Gingrich or Perry (I’m not sold on Newt’s staying power, and Perry has the organization).

If the panic and vitriol from the resident Mittbots on HotGas is any indication, Romney is indeed getting desperate. He has the money to stick around, but he has a low ceiling of support, and the vast majority of Republican voters don’t want him to be the nominee.

DRayRaven on December 13, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 1:30 AM

What’s the point of Perry playing to Gingrich? All the media will do is focus on any pronunciation of Perry’s or a pause or the use of a colloquialism or any other verbal stumble. The media will focus on just how Texan he is or how much he sounds like Bush and then they remind folks of Bush’s low ratings as he left office.

Meanwhile Newt continues his history course and plays tough grandpa.

While Newt was a good revolutionary back in the day when he led the sweep into congress & accomplished Welfare Reform his ego got in the way of governing. His own caucus rebelled against him and he quit the office blaming republican cannibals. Since he left office he’s made millions being an influence peddler but he calls that capitalism and suggested Barney Frank should take it up as a new career.

I think too much emphasis has been placed on these debates. It’s a media run hijack of the process handing fodder to the opposition. When has there ever been 13 debates in a little over 3 months. How far are they when 2 candidates (Roemer,Johnson) don’t qualify to be there and they are former governors. Obama won’t agree to 13 debates.

I watched the Cain-Gingrich debate and wasn’t impressed.

I’m impressed with a record which weighs more to Texans. We like results.

Texas rebuilding it’s rainy day fund and having a surplus are results of good governance.

workingclass artist on December 13, 2011 at 8:29 AM

“Perry’s biggest weakness is not Gardasil or illegal immigration, it is the perception that he is not quick enough on his feet to go toe-to-toe with Obama. Basically, and I don’t mean this to sound harsh, but Republicans don’t think he is smart enough to take on Obama or be President.” Lawdawg86 on December 13, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Well I can’t speak to that pretzel logic.

I guess Texans are too stupid to know better but most of us saw right through the chicago messiah.

I’m not impressed with Obama’s rhetorical skills and I doubt Perry is either.

Perry will rattle Obama like he’s rattling Mitt. He’s said he’d like to ask Obama How’d ya lose 2 million jobs while Texas created a million jobs?

Watching Obama try to blame that on Bush will be a hoot because Perry will respond with I was handed the same ball and I didn’t fumble it..Texas scored.

workingclass artist on December 13, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Ummm…Newt…

“If Gov. Romney would like to give back all of the money he’s earned from bankrupting companies and laying off employees over his years at Bain, then I would be glad to listen to him.”

Not only is it petulant, leftwing, bunk, there’s no way Gingrich actually believes it (as Ramesh noted on Twitter). I understand that Gingrich doesn’t want to admit his payments from Freddie are, at best, tacky. But there’s no equivalence between Gingrich’s business model and Romney’s. If Romney should return the money he’s earned, if there’s a immoral taint to it, then Gingrich really doesn’t believe in capitalism at all. That’s obviously not the case and so he should explain himself…”

*sigh*

workingclass artist on December 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM

When will we get to stop hearing from those unqualified morons, Bachman and Santorum? After Iowa? Or will we have to endure their small-minded ignorance even longer than that?

Daikokuco on December 12, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Better and more relevant question…..When will get a break from your libtardian, stream-of-consciousness blather?

Tim_CA on December 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I support Bachmann. …thank you Tim…salute!!!

apocalypse on December 13, 2011 at 9:37 AM

newt and mitten will not win at the end. another will come in shortly and win

buck taylor on December 12, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Buck is 100% right. OPERATION IOWA – Apocalypse’ Christmas RINO Prevention Blitz in Iowa is in the works! …ahahahhahaha salute!

apocalypse on December 13, 2011 at 9:53 AM

“The other surprise was Rick Perry, who had his best debate yet. Indeed, Perry may well have been the best candidate on the stage. He’s positioned himself to get a second look if Gingrich self-destructs, and the 75 percent of the GOP electorate that refuses to support Romney goes looking for another champion…”

Question: Does anyone believe Romney who had “NFL dreams” can even throw a football or a baseball?

And yeah it matters when the prez. tosses out the first pitch.

workingclass artist on December 13, 2011 at 10:10 AM

And yeah…I think Professor Newt would bomb the pitch too but he’d deliver a great lecture on the history of baseball in America or sumthin’.

One more reason to support Perry…He can deliver the pitch over the plate. He can throw a wicked spiral

workingclass artist on December 13, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I will vote for any republican candidate in the general election.
Getting rid of Obama must be priority ONE.

with most likely a GOP senate and House we need a Republican
prsesident to sign them into law.

Just remember if Obama wins re-election regardless of wether we control congress-obamacare will not be cancelled-more liberal justices will be sent to congess(we can’t stop them all easier to have conservative justices sent up in first place) etc.

gerry-moderate republican troll

gerrym51 on December 13, 2011 at 10:16 AM

75%+ in the GOP base do NOT want him

Kind of like 93% does not want Perry and 70% does not want Newt. 100% does not want Palin or Cain. This game can go on forever.

hanzblinx on December 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Good ad
Politically Correct

workingclass artist on December 13, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Bachmann has no executive experience whatsoever. She’s just not qualified for the office of the presidency.

NbyNW on December 12, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Bachmann is extremely qualified to be President.

apocalypse on December 13, 2011 at 10:50 AM

75%+ in the GOP base do NOT want him

hanzblinx on December 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM

LOGIC FAIL

Others have shown they have the ability to move their percentage past 25% in an overcrowded field – Perry, Cain, Gingrich, but not Romney. And it’s Romney’s turn, even!

IcedTea on December 13, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Could you explain how Gingrich is the establishment candidate?

astonerii on December 12, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Establishment Republicans want a two man race or a two person race. FOX News/Karl Rove prefer RomneyCare, but if they can’t get RomneyCare they will settle with Gingrich/Pelosi. If it’s a two person race between Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich they will be very happy. Gingrich was the so-called Republican speaker of the House and he really is a leftist Rockefeller Republican. He started out his career in politics supporting Nelson Rockefeller, the extreme left-wing candidate for POTS. Gingrich is an insider… that’s one of his strengths.

apocalypse on December 13, 2011 at 11:30 AM

apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 11:51 PM

We tried that in 1992 after “read my lips” screwed us.

karenhasfreedom on December 13, 2011 at 12:01 AM

We are still early in the primary season. You don’t have to vote for RomneyCare or Gingrich/Sharpton!

apocalypse on December 13, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Mitt will probably flip on this statement pretty soon, too…he’s already close to flipping on his “bet” with Perry in the last debate. I’ve never liked Mitt– he comes across as pretty arrogant to me.

-Bethany

NextGenerationVoters on December 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Newt is a fat old man…Romney needs to wear him out on the campaign trail. Just out-campaign the hell out of him. GW Bush did so to Kerry in 2004. Newt’s had way too many steak and lobstah dinners. He’s not fit to be Commander in Chief. Fitness counts for an executive. Not so much for a career parliamenatarian, lobbyist, and Washington insider. Work him hard and he’ll retire to the nearest five star hotel with trophy wife and reformed homewrecker Callista.

Nozzle on December 13, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Noot is a joke, and so will be the GOP (particularly the Tea Party) if he somehow gets away with the nomination.

Ruiner on December 13, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Agree, Ruiner.
So was McCain a joke, & he got the nomination; no one thought he could win, and he didn’t.
Remember when we weren’t even allowed to say Obama’s middle name, that it was an insult?
Still wonder why Romney dropped out so quickly.
I just get the feeling the liberal media is salivating that Newt might get the nomination, then they’ll politically wipe him out, same as with McCain, & Newt has more baggage.
At least Mitt, who’s what, a 40% conservative looks Presidential, can’t say that about Newt, nor McCain when he ran. Better a 40% conservative than the 100% socialist Obama.

Belle on December 13, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Mitt is in this for as long as it takes.

scotash on December 14, 2011 at 4:59 AM