Open Thread Huntsman – Gingrich. Two men enter…

posted at 3:15 pm on December 12, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

The next two person, “Lincoln – Douglas” style debate kicks off today at a rather unusual time, but you’ll get two chances to view it. (And join in commenting on the affair here.) It begins at the rather inconvenient time of 4 PM eastern, 1 PM on the left coast. (Well… at least inconvenient for the few of you who still have jobs, anyway.) But if you’ve got the time and are near your computer, you can watch the livestream here. As yet there is no sharing option, but if there’s an embed version we’ll update this thread and put it in here.

UPDATE: There is an alternate site to watch the debate online at CNN.

ALTERNATE SITE WITH WAPO: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/live-blogging-the-gingrich-huntsman-debate/2011/12/12/gIQA1X9EqO_blog.html

But if you’re late to the show, fear not. The debate is scheduled to be rebroadcast on C-SPAN at 8 PM eastern time. If you plan on following along and commenting on Twitter, the hashtag to use and track is #LDdebate20. (And you can bet that Ed, Tina and myself will be chiming in as well.)

What this debate means – if anything – is an open question. When it was originally scheduled this looked like a much better deal for Newt. He was on the rise, but Romney was still arguably the “frontrunner” and the electorate was scrambling around looking for the Not Mitt Candidate. As a contender for that title, Newt would stand to benefit from anyone else who might be painted as direct competition against Romney, eating into his slice of the pie and keeping space open for more Tea Party friendly candidates to remain in the running.

Now, however, the need for that seems to be somewhat diluted, but not entirely. This debate is taking place in New Hampshire, the only one of the early primary states where Mitt is hanging on to his lead, though Newt has been coming on strong. If today’s event can raise Huntsman’s profile in such a way that it eats into Mitt’s support without hurting Newt’s appeal, perhaps there is still some value to it.

The media continues to try to pump up the possibility of Huntsman coming from the back of the pack to be a surprise contender, but that’s looking less and less likely as the clock ticks down. But clearly the one person with nothing to lose here is Huntsman, and he owes Newt a big debt of gratitude for giving him this type of high profile shot at debating the leader of the pack this close to the Granite State primary.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

NICE TRY…NO IT WON’T….THAT CARD HAS BEEN PLAYED TOO MANY TIMES AND WON’T STICK…SORRY.

NEXT NEWT ATTACK?? GOOD…4 MORE POINTS IN THE POLLS.

PATHETIC!!! BRIT HUME’S BEEN IN THE BAG FOR ROMNEY FOR MONTHS.

coach1228 on December 12, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Hey, guess what?

Saying something real stupid in caps and in bold doesnt make it sound less stupid.

Youre welcome

Jailbreak on December 12, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Breitbart has come out hard against Beck.

rrpjr

Beck didn’t. I’m not a Beck guy and I’m not a libertarian so I’m neutral here. Breitbart went drama-queen on this because Newt said he was a Teddy Roosevelt Repub on Beck’s show last week so Beck, having often railed against this form of progressive, can’t support Newt. There is nothing sinister in Becks position. It’s consistent with his previous positions. Breitbart should leave it at that and not try and gin up drama just because he is a Newt guy(is he?).

BoxHead1 on December 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Lol, this headline reminds of that awesome police drama The Shield when the strike team locked the leaders of two rival gangs in a cargo container at the docks overnight expecting them to work out their differences having to be forced to put up with each other all night. Only one man walked out the next morning…oops.

Daemonocracy on December 12, 2011 at 7:54 PM

BECK IS A LOSER!!!

coach1228 on December 12, 2011 at 7:00 PM

You can scream in bold all you want about Beck being a loser because he refuses to get aboard the Gingrich train.

But have you considered that maybe some of us not drinking the Gingrich Koolaid could be right?

Gingrich is a World War II bomb waiting to go off and he definitely will, if not in the primaries – he will in the general.

TheRightMan on December 12, 2011 at 7:54 PM

This format is so, so, so, so much better than the MSM farces that pass for debates. I’ve gotten a better picture of Huntsman in the last twenty minutes than I have throughout all of the debates.

Lawdawg86 on December 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Exactly, Too bad all the peons were watching Dr. Oz instead. When the candidate information is driven by Neilsen ratings we all lose.

Rea1ityCheck on December 12, 2011 at 7:58 PM

TheRightMan on December 12, 2011 at 7:54 PM

TRM, you may want to hop over to Ace’s. You’ll find this headline:

Is This Real? Perry’s Got a Pulse in Iowa

TxAnn56 on December 12, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Remember Beck’s world ends in 2012.

Rea1ityCheck on December 12, 2011 at 8:00 PM

I guess I’m just going to have to keep posting this till the election because some people just don’t get it. The next SUPREME COURT JUSTICE will be appointed by _____________________. It’s the BIG picture!!!!!!!!!

redridinghood on December 12, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Thank you so much for posting this. It is a monumental issue that will likely affect us for the rest of our lives. It appears some can’t get past the couch with Pelosi issue which as you say, in the big picture, is small peanuts compared to the SCOTUS appointment.

salem on December 12, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Earlier, I thought that a Cain-Gingrich ticket would have been good in that Cain could have set the broad priorities, and Gingrich could have planned how to get them through Capitol Hill.
cane_loader on December 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Plus neutralize the race card being played, plus the damage to the Dem brand, plus it would have been a heck of a lot easier than what we have to do now. Glad to know I’m not the only one here who thought strategically it made sense. Off to watch the recast.

Bmore on December 12, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Available shortly…..

ExpressoBold on December 12, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Second look at Newt/Huntsman 2012?

mike_NC9 on December 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM

I’m open to that ticket.

Punchenko on December 12, 2011 at 8:20 PM

I think we can all agree that Smokin Joe Oscar de la Iron Mike Kimbo Huntsman won this thing hands down!

Paul/Huntsman 2012!!

abobo on December 12, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I’m open to that ticket.

Punchenko on December 12, 2011 at 8:20 PM

That’s because you’re a RINO who has no problem watching our 2012 chances go down in embarrassing flames.

Ruiner on December 12, 2011 at 8:25 PM

The next SUPREME COURT JUSTICE will be appointed by ________. It’s the BIG picture!!!!!!!!!

redridinghood on December 12, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Excuse me, are you supporting Romney and Gingrich right now.

apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Paul/Huntsman 2012!!

abobo

You read my mind.

Albert T. Tappman on December 12, 2011 at 8:30 PM

I guess I’m just going to have to keep posting this till the election because some people just don’t get it. The next SUPREME COURT JUSTICE will be appointed by _________. It’s the BIG picture!!!!!!!!!

redridinghood on December 12, 2011 at 7:51 PM

And, btw, if you keep posting this to me run head straight into a brick of walls.

apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 8:33 PM

BACHMANN > Huntsman and Gingrich

apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 8:36 PM

BACHMANN > Huntsman and Gingrich

apocalypse

bachmann = boring ridiculocity of the third kind

Albert T. Tappman on December 12, 2011 at 8:49 PM

apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Good- maybe the brick wall will knock some sense into that head.

redridinghood on December 12, 2011 at 8:54 PM

salem

Because someone who sat on a couch with Pelosi to push a liberal scam, and who supports a national health care mandate is guaranteed to nominate a conservative to the court, right? Maybe some folks are thinking about it a little more than you give them credit for.

xblade on December 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM

BoxHead1 on December 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM

You didn’t listen to the tape. Breitbart lays out in detail his case against Beck. It is far beyond the Gingrich matter. Beck eviscerated Shirley Sherrod by lifting from Breitbart’s site without the full context (which Breitbart included to vindicate Sherrod), then lied to both O’Reilly and to his audience about it. This in fact may have precipitated Sherrod’s lawsuit. Beck subsequently refused to answer questions about it.

rrpjr on December 12, 2011 at 9:39 PM

BACHMANN > Huntsman and Gingrich

apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 8:36 PM

bachmann = boring ridiculocity of the third kind

Albert T. Tappman on December 12, 2011 at 8:49 PM

…you are evil.

apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 9:55 PM

redridinghood on December 12, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Are you going to answer the question. Do you RomneyCare and Gingrich/Sharpton?

apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM

redridinghood on December 12, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Are you going to answer the question. Do you RomneyCare and Gingrich/Sharpton?

apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Typo. Do you support RomneyCare and Gingrich/Sharpton?

apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Breitbart blasting Beck is a much better thing going on. Beck is a fake, a fraud, and he’s in Romney’s back pocket due to religious support. Yeah, I am calling the Mormon card. Beck wants to throw out racism, I am throwing out the Mormon card there Glenn. Have at it!!

Never listen to Beck again and in fact haven’t for about a year when he started going off the deep end. The panic politics was a bit much. Hurry!! My hair’s on fire!!! Buy more storable food!!!! Obama is gonna throw you into a communist bank buyout!!! Quick!! Buy Gold!!!! I own it and so should you!!!! In fact, I crap gold bars in my multi-million dollar Texas estate!!! Wanna look?!!! NEXT ON GBTV!!!

No thanks.

JP1986UM on December 12, 2011 at 10:09 PM

TheRightMan on December 12, 2011 at 7:54 PM

And when he doesn’t? Are you gonna make up another meme to go with this one that failed?

JP1986UM on December 12, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Excuse me, are you supporting Romney and Gingrich right now.

apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I prefer Gingrich, but will vote for Romney or any of the Republican candidates if they are the nominee in the general.

What I won’t do is vote or support anyone that runs as a third party candidate. This ensures the reelection of Obama and the continued destruction of this country.

redridinghood on December 12, 2011 at 10:14 PM

JP1986UM on December 12, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Good rant. I agree. Beck is done.

rrpjr on December 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Ugh,I missed it,I already done Flogged myself!

Heres the Full Video Replay!
===============================================

Gingrich/Huntsman Lincoln-Douglas debate Monday at 10:27pm ET
December 12th, 2011
*******************

This is a late update on this debate mainly due to C-SPAN’s late decision to air the event later this evening. The debate will take place Monday at Saint Anselm College in Manchester, New Hampshire. The event takes place at 4pm ET but will not be broadcast on C-SPAN until 10:27pm ET when it can be streamed online or viewed on television. The focus will primarily delve into national security and foreign policy.

Full Video:(1:23:35)
********************

If you do miss this event, have no fear, we’ll link to the C-SPAN replay. It is not being broadcast live anyway so we’ll all be watching the taped event. Once again, sorry for the delayed notification. This event was brought together only in the last week and a half and C-SPAN only decided in recent days to air the event.

Update

There has been a huge discrepancy in the times reported from C-SPAN. Originally scheduled for 8pm ET airing on C-SPAN, it seems that is not the case. According to C-SPAN, it will now air at 9:42pm ET and then re-air again on December 13th at 1:04am ET.

Either way, click this link to watch the replay online if you want to watch it before it airs:

Watch the Huntsman-Gingrich Lincoln-Douglas Debate

I apologize to anyone counting on a certain time that was reported here. C-SPAN was not providing accurate information earlier today.

Update 2

Now the time is 10:27pm ET to air on C-SPAN. Just watch the embed above, probably more reliable.
==============================

canopfor on December 12, 2011 at 11:00 PM

..This in fact may have precipitated Sherrod’s lawsuit. Beck subsequently refused to answer questions about it..rrpjr

I don’t care about the SHerrod stuff. Breitbart should have picked this fight back then but I still don’t care.

Maybe Beck pulled the race card a bit on some show, freedomwatch, no one ever watches. Breigtbart is still Drama-Queening. I’m in a Tea Party and I’ll forgive the guy who brought 1/2 million people to Washington when it was needed most. Newt is in some ways the antithesis of what Beck has been calling for so forgive him for being less then clear headed about the present turn of events.

BoxHead1 on December 13, 2011 at 1:07 AM

BACHMANN > Huntsman and Gingrich
apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 8:36 PM

bachmann = boring ridiculocity of the third kind

Albert T. Tappman on December 12, 2011 at 8:49 PM

…you are evil.

apocalypse on December 12, 2011 at 9:55 PM

har har har

Albert T. Tappman on December 13, 2011 at 1:10 AM

BoxHead1 on December 13, 2011 at 1:07 AM

You might want to start caring. Breitbart’s fight is your fight. Maybe you’d be more inclined to care if it was your free speech being challenged in court and your name being smeared. Still, it is.

Beck is a liar. Breitbart has proved it. And Breitbart didn’t “pick a fight”, he sought reconciliation through an open discussion with Beck, who refused — then threw him under the bus, just he did the tea party. The “Sherrod stuff” — the law suit against Breitbart — may be the most important battle currently and quietly simmering between the Left and the Right, or between the totalitarian Left and the First Amendment. Breitbart, the “drama queen”, is currently engaged in the defense of the latter at great personal cost.

rrpjr on December 13, 2011 at 2:33 AM

lol as a big believer in ‘turnabout is fair play’, I support your effort here 100%! :)

No thanks.

JP1986UM on December 12, 2011 at 10:09 PM

I am not convinced that Glenn is a fraud, but I would agree that he’s an hysteric in need of therapy.

Bizarro No. 1 on December 13, 2011 at 2:57 AM

BoxHead1 on December 13, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Breitbart’s “Drama-Queening” bothers you more than Beck’s slanderous stupidity, which is what provoked Breitbart to speak out, earning your insult of him? You’ve got a great set of values…

Bizarro No. 1 on December 13, 2011 at 3:19 AM

TheRightMan on December 12, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Always nice to be able to make shit up as you go along. You can say just about anything.

astonerii on December 13, 2011 at 8:19 AM

redridinghood on December 12, 2011 at 10:14 PM

I had a feeling you are supporting Newt Gingrich for the Republican Presidential nomination in 2012, who supported Al Sharpton, announced that he was meeting with Al Sharpton, that he did meet with Al Sharpton and that he was gonna have a joint educational project with Al Sharpton. Who is Al Sharpton? Al Sharpton is a racist and anti-semite. Read about Freddies and his support of Louis Farrakhan, etc. Your opinion means very little to me now.

What I won’t do is vote or support anyone that runs as a third party candidate.

The Republican establishment love lemmings like you. When someone calls you a lemming, they’re saying that you’re a follower.

apocalypse on December 13, 2011 at 9:25 AM