A few last notes from the open registration

posted at 11:30 am on December 10, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Well, that was one heck of a ride, huh?  Hot Air had its first open registration in a very long time — too long, we know — and we had an overwhelming response.  Over 4100 people signed up to comment, which overwhelmed our processing systems and taught us a few valuable lessons for the next time … and there will be a next time, I assure you.

Some may still have questions or concerns, so I’ve gleaned more information about the open registration.  Hopefully this will answer your questions, but if not, I’d ask that you wait until Monday to drop us a note about any other issues you may be having.  Our support staff is currently committed resting at the asylum in a quiet place after having worked incredibly hard for three days to resolve the issues that began on Wednesday.

I’ve registered but not yet logged in.  Can I do so now?

Yes.  Everyone who had not yet logged in should have received a password reset mail that will allow them to log into the system and comment on our site.  If you have not received it, please check your spam folder, as many of those who didn’t see the e-mail ended up finding it there; it came from “mail-at-hotair-dot-com”.  However, if you still don’t see it, you can just click on this link to generate a new reset e-mail.  Don’t do this if you’ve already successfully logged into the system.

I posted my first comment and don’t see it.

We’ve mentioned this before, but it’s worth repeating.  Your approval process is not complete until we approve your first comment from the moderation queue.  Please don’t repost the same comment over and over again, because it just slows us down from approving everyone who still has yet to post their first comment.  However, if you want to make comments on other threads, feel free, but just know that none of them will appear until we approve your first comment.

What happened to delay the e-mail process?

It’s a very complicated problem, which involved issues on our end as well as with some major commercial e-mail systems.  Rest assured that they have all been resolved, so our next open registration should go much more smoothly. If that explanation doesn’t satisfy you, just follow Barack Obama’s example and blame George Bush for all our woes.

Why is your registration policy so restrictive?  Why not just have open enrollment all of the time?

While we have a big disclaimer on our comment threads, we do like to maintain some decorum there.  The only people available to police the comment sections are myself, Tina, and Allahpundit, which we have to do while still doing all of the writing that takes place at Hot Air.  If we had open registration all of the time, we’d have a lot less time to write, or we’d have to just let the comments sections go wild with trolling and other issues.

Why did you only have registration open during business hours?  Some of us aren’t able to use the Internet at that time for various reasons.

Well, if the problems we experienced didn’t convince you of the wisdom of doing this when support staff was available, nothing will.  Our next open registration will probably take place in the same kind of time frame, but we’ll try to provide a little more notice so that people can make arrangements ahead of time.

Really? You guys –

Yeah, we know.

Seriously, we want to thank everyone for their patience and understanding, and welcome all of our new friends to our comment threads.  For those who didn’t make it this time, we will have another open registration period soon, so keep reading!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Hi everyone, I am a conservative California! Yes, there are still a few of us left. It’s good to be a part of the conversation. I have been enjoying this site for about two years and have learned so much.

shortgirl on December 10, 2011 at 7:23 P

I’m a california conservative too, please to meet you .

LaurRose on December 10, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Long live John Carter!

VorDaj on December 10, 2011 at 10:47 PM

More of a Tars Tarkas fan myself. Here have some bar-b-que’d thoat.

Oldnuke on December 10, 2011 at 10:55 PM

I registered years ago. I encourage any newcomers to be patient.

slackmac on December 10, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Thank you for allowing me to join Hotair. I’ve been an avid reader for 3 years. I’ve found the articles, and comments, to be amongst the highest in quality on the web.

I’ll try not to embarrass myself.

Kungfoochimp on December 10, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Not only does it still work, but I actually recalled my username/password! WOW.

Look for my next comment sometime in late 2012. Carry on.

slackmac on December 10, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Glad to be here finally. Longtime reader and often wondered how to get inside.

Anonimo on December 10, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Finally,

Proud to be one of the 4100. Been lurking for 2 years.

Another Texan here, unfortunately in CD #14(Paul).

Glad to be here at Hot Air or Hot Gas.

Drinking Hot Yalla Koolaid and saving my Pretzels fot the gas jets.

SamBusy on December 10, 2011 at 11:02 PM

shortgirl on December 10, 2011 at 7:23 P

LaurRose on December 10, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Well, once one gets past the near-Communist type ideology of the cities, most of California actually leans conservative. Trust me – I grew up in the Central Valley. But the massive leftwing groupthink in the Bay Area and the LA area (not to mention the illegal aliens) make our votes essentially worthless in any statewide election.

But it is good to see some other Californians join the conversation on Hot Air! Welcome, all.

StoneHeads on December 10, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Oldnuke on December 10, 2011 at 10:55 PM

I’ve always been a big Tars Tarkas fan as well. And if I may briefly divert the conversation to BEdgar Rice Burroughs, I really like Carson Napier of ERB’s ‘Venus’ series too. Not to mention some of his one-offs.

StoneHeads on December 10, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Also a California Conservative. I love Hot Air! Have been using the site for years. Thanks for reopening registration.

D-Bar on December 10, 2011 at 11:05 PM

StoneHeads on December 10, 2011 at 11:05 PM

I didn’t care for the Venus series myself but I loved the Pellucidar books. My favorite was the one with Tarzan. My son and I just discussed introducing my oldest Grandson to John Carter a few days ago. He’s eight now so it won’t be long.

Oldnuke on December 10, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Thanks HotAir! You guys do a great job. I live in Queens NY, proud conservative and a supporter of Rep. Bob Turner (finally represented in my district by someone with a shared sense of values). This is my favorite site on the Web, and now I can participate! Yay!

staticmh on December 10, 2011 at 11:15 PM

I’ll try not to embarrass myself.

Kungfoochimp on December 10, 2011 at 10:57 PM

And why should you be any different?

PS, love your name.

Siddhartha Vicious on December 10, 2011 at 11:16 PM

LaurRose on December 10, 2011 at 10:54 PM
shortgirl on December 10, 2011 at 7:23 P
StoneHeads on December 10, 2011 at 11:03 PM
D-Bar on December 10, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Cal conservative here, too. Glad to meet you all! There are a lot of us out here ~ we’re just not vocal about it. Too busy working, I guess. ;~)

greeneyedconservative on December 10, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Boooyah minnie twerp! 17yo and signed up on this site? Eggcellent for him! :):):):):)

sicoit on December 10, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I registered him while he was at school…and he humored me by finishing it. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on December 10, 2011 at 11:35 PM

It’s so nice to be able to post on a site I follow daily. Thanks!

Pewterslimsme on December 10, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Finally back in! Yay! I’ve been a user for ages but the site wouldn’t let me reset my password. It worked!

JackieK on December 11, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Another longtime reader who has enjoyed this site for a couple of years. I am proud to be among those allowed to add my two cents worth. With luck it may even be worth that much from time to time. I want to thank those who have put their time and effort into providing informative, insightful and pithy words for us to consume.

Loh2o on December 11, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Yay! Glad to be part of the Hot Air community! Oh, the hours I’ve spent reading through the comments… :)

P.S. Since this is my first post and has to be seen by the Powers That Be– Great site! Keep up the good work! :)

butterflies and puppies on December 11, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Thanks Ed and Allah for the Open Registration! I’ve been a regular reader from the beginning. Now, I can comment too! Ed, I followed you here from Captain’s Quarters.

JonBGood on December 11, 2011 at 1:27 AM

So it can’t be a good sign that my first comment (from Friday afternoon on the original open reg thread) never posted.

**checking to see if I posted on hotgas.com accidentally**

Anyway, thanks again for open reg! Love the articles AND comments/posters here.

Taximom on December 11, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Thank you HotAir for opening registration. I’ve been waiting for almost 2 years to be able to comment in your forum. Looking forward to post my opinion on the articles presented to us. Again, thank you!

Jacamina on December 11, 2011 at 1:37 AM

Hot Vapours!

TrueNorthist on December 10, 2011 at 10:12 PM

lol … getting out of hand.

Sultry exhalations?

Axe on December 11, 2011 at 1:42 AM

LOL

Actually, if the Cloward-Piven strategy is truly in effect, then Bush actually got the ball rolling (spending and TARP, I like most everything else about him) and Barry had an easier time taking it to the next level.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM

I’m happy to have finally joined the elite ranks of “The Registered,” particularly after having “just missed” the last open registration period. Thanks to the Hot Air staff for opening the floodgates… and for sticking around for days on end fighting the ensuing flood, I might add!

CanofSand on December 11, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Hello All,

I am one of those rare creatures called “A Massachusetts Conservative” and I am very happy to be here among my own kind! I’m originally from Minnesota which bears the state motto “The North Star state” hence the user name. I’ve been reading Hot Air for ages and this is the only blog I’ve found where the comments are as interesting as the official news items & commentary. So I’ve been waiting to pounce on open registration for a long time and finally got in!

**** ****
Up Twinkles !!!!!!

letoiledunord on December 11, 2011 at 3:49 AM

Having a couple of WordPress sites I manage, I thought your process went fairly smooth.

Neox99 on December 11, 2011 at 4:11 AM

Maybe it’s time to make my first comment on Hot Air. It’s been a long time coming.

PawPaw on December 11, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Finally got the email password reset. Happy to be a newbie on HotAir.

bgibbs1000 on December 11, 2011 at 7:23 AM

I’m just glad I got to join the club.

chaddyt on December 11, 2011 at 8:01 AM

OK, I better get the first comment out of the way. This is just about the first site I hit when I log on. It’s my barometer for how aggravated I need to be today. The comments, not so much. I will now try to read them past the first two morons and lurking boobs. I will also try hard not to be a moron or lurking boob.

leroldo on December 11, 2011 at 8:02 AM

Thanks so much HA. I look forward to being part of the community!

cab3jd on December 11, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Got the e-mail, thanks for letting me joint

John 5 on December 11, 2011 at 8:16 AM

letoiledunord on December 11, 2011 at 3:49 AM

Welcome. Until 8 months ago I was a Chicago-area conservative.
I feel your pain.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 11, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I want to issue a very meaningful and heartfelt THANK YOU to the staff at Hot Air and Townhall for fixing all of the issues that arose during this latest open registration. After three attemps they managed to get me in! Thanks to all!

D-fusit on December 11, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Finally at long last, three days but happy to be able to comment. I’ve always wondered how you get to be a part of the bloggers on here. Now I belong. Thank you Hot Air.

hummingbird50 on December 11, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Got the e-mail, thanks for letting me joint

John 5 on December 11, 2011 at 8:16 AM

I think you can only bring that in if it’s for “medicinal purposes”. wink wink nudge nudge

TxAnn56 on December 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Long-time Hot Air Reader. Glad to (finally) be here!

(Keep up the good work)

Bob_B on December 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM

really glad to be here after years of reading. I hope I can make some positive contributions!

TNVOL on December 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Hi, I am Anny and I live in Boulder, Colorado. I am an independent in thought and voting, although I tend towards conservatism. I am happy to be here, and interact with everyone.

annyinboulder on December 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Your going to hate me cause I wont let the Palestinians in the ME keep up the charade of another Arab state..
And Ron Paul’s a tool

IranAware on December 11, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Hi, glad to be here! Arch-conservative in Florida; have been following this site since it morphed from “the Captain’s Quarters” way back when. Am astounded that I actually got in, in view of the fact that the Hot Air system wouldn’t accept my regular email address, claiming someone was already using it?

Scriptor on December 11, 2011 at 11:31 AM

And Ron Paul’s a tool

IranAware on December 11, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Welcome. Methinks we’re gonna get along juuuust fine. *smiles*

annoyinglittletwerp on December 11, 2011 at 11:47 AM

CurtissP-40b on December 10, 2011 at 3:31 PM

My father flew P-40s in the USAAF in WWII. Down in New Guinea.

Solaratov on December 11, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Greetings from Orange County (conservative enclave in the Socialist Peoples’ Paradise of California).

As Obama sees the failing countries of Europe as a model, so California sees Detroit as a model of blue state utopia.

But the weather is great.

FredJustFred on December 11, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Good work on a tough function. Lesson learned for next time.
Bill

billsheck on December 11, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Long time reader, first time poster, very happy to be here.

Symshady on December 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Thank you for having me. This isn’t my first post (check out the NFL thread) and it will not be my last. For general consumption, I am a Wisconsinite so politics and love for the World Champion Green bay packers run in my veins. Hopefully I can bring some insight and brevity to the conversation.

JimboHoffa on December 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Another long time reader, finally got to register… yeah! Looking forward to great conversations.

Library Countess on December 11, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Why now? Next week, we will have an exciting feature in which commenters at Hot Air and our sister site Townhall will vote for their favorite choice in the Republican presidential nomination race. We want to have as many people able to participate as possible, and so we want to get people registered to vote now.

I take that to mean “Our demographics are all screwed up because the more moderate Conservatives and Libertarians have largely been driven away by the radical ultras, so we have to infuse some new blood so that our polls will actually mean something.”

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I often give Mr. A. Pundit grief.
It’s gratifying that I haven’t been banned.
I was banned from Little Green Snotballs just for commenting on another blog.
I never made one comment on the guitar player’s site.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 11, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Hi lite the post, copy it, move it to your response “box”, hi lite again and click on quote to enclose it. Then, type your response beneath it. ;) Welcome aboard! We all had to ask that same question when we came onboard. P.S. I love me some Firefox especially when refreshing to respond quickly and avoiding all of those annoying ads.

sicoit on December 10, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Thanks Sicoit…Hope it worked:)

Redford on December 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Am I in yet?

socalval on December 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I am really pleased that after reading in silence for so long I’ll be able to chime in as well, big fan of Allahpundit but haven’t been able to say so. How long has it been for me? To give a point of reference, it was around the time I stopped reading Little Green Footballs that I started coming here.

St. Regis Philbin on December 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to the Hot air admin for the open Registration.

celticdefender on December 11, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Finally got in after reading HA for years! WOOT WOOT!!

Echoing celticdefender’s comment:

Thanks for the open registration!

mom29js on December 11, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I have been visiting Hot Air for about a year now and enjoy reading the articles and comments. There sure are some LIVELY DEBATES going on in here at times!

I appreciate the opportunity to register so I can participate in the discussions.

I am way down in Louisiana.

Steve

LouisianaSteve on December 11, 2011 at 6:27 PM

JonBGood on December 11, 2011 at 1:27 AM

How did you miss the parting of the sea the first time? I thought Ed migrated all of us across…

unclesmrgol on December 11, 2011 at 6:45 PM

So glad that I got in … I’ve been waiting for an open registration for a long time! I love HA – one of the two websites that I check 20x a day. I’m a conservative living in upstate NY – there are many of us up here but it sure is depressing living in a dark blue state. I was happy when our district went back to R in 2010 (Chris Gibson, NY-20) but Gibson is not the conservative that he claimed to be on the campaign trail. Very disappointing, but not surprising … anyway, glad to be here and looking forward to November 2012!

themamabear on December 11, 2011 at 8:06 PM

yes, I got in. Thanks. now back to reading.

hutt_one on December 11, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Did we acquire any new trolls? Life has ben somewhat boring w/o crrrrr9 and her enlightening repartee.

red131 on December 11, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Love Hot Air in B’ham. I’ve been lurking for quite a while. One of my first and last sights of the day.
The comments section is more entertaining than the news most days.
Hope to maintain the repartee and possibly contribute.

gooeylong on December 11, 2011 at 8:55 PM

coukd somebody tell me how to do quotes

gerrym51 on December 11, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Greetings & thanks for the add. Been a daily reader for 3 years. Great work by the HA writers / commentors, as well as the admin team that pushed through 4100 additional members.

Trying to make sense of things from here in ultra liberal Massachusetts…

PermanentWaves on December 11, 2011 at 9:37 PM

All I got to say from this literally “inside-the-beltway” outside the establishment conservative is I’m happy to be here!

BTW tell Tina that her CL friends in Annandale miss her!

Vitruvianman on December 11, 2011 at 9:43 PM

After 2 years of lurking I think I’m finally in! I am a left coast conservative in the People’s Republic of Portland. Some days I just need some sane people to vent to.

kmid219 on December 11, 2011 at 10:40 PM

coukd somebody tell me how to do quotes

gerrym51 on December 11, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Highlight what you want to quote. Right click on it and left-click ‘copy’.
Go to the comment ‘box’ and left-click the “quote” box at the header. Then ‘paste’ the copied work. Then, left-click the “/quote” box. (Same box as before. It changes automatically)
Then, make your own comment.

Solaratov on December 12, 2011 at 12:15 AM

I’m finally in! It’s been a long wait. Be gentle with me.

DdubYa on December 12, 2011 at 12:21 AM

JonBGood on December 11, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Me too! I’ve learned so much here.

Green Tree on December 12, 2011 at 12:36 AM

LaurRose on December 10, 2011 at 10:54 PM
shortgirl on December 10, 2011 at 7:23 P
StoneHeads on December 10, 2011 at 11:03 PM
D-Bar on December 10, 2011 at 11:05 PM
greeneyedconservative on December 10, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Proud to say I’m a California Conservative from the Central Valley also. Been here awhile but haven’t seen too many of us…I’M SO EXCITED TO MEET ALL OF YOU!!! WELCOME!

roxi618 on December 12, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Add me to the list of California conservatives amongst the new posters. I’ve been reading this site for over three years. Glad to be able to join the conversation.

jrnlz on December 12, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Great to have a chance to sign up here, bringing a voice from across the line in Vancouver, Canada!

starsfaninvan on December 12, 2011 at 6:03 AM

Thanks to all at Hot Air for allowing me to finally sign up. I’m a daily visitor and really enjoy the articles and the comments. I look forward to adding my 2 cents at the right time! Thanks again to all!

Primusprimer on December 12, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Thank you Hot Air for opportunity to sign up! Been a long time reader and welcome the chance to comment as well.

And hello to my fellow Conservatives!

JuniorO on December 12, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Thanks for the ability to sign up. I’ve been looking forward to the opportunity for some time.

kylearane on December 12, 2011 at 10:00 AM

If my first comment ever made it through, I think I missed it. Got to read about lots of lovely people new and old while looking for it though.

So here’s my official hello from Texas. Greetings all!

Sirelyn on December 12, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Thanks for opening registration. This is one of my daily must-read sites. I’m looking forward to contributing.

angeleno on December 12, 2011 at 10:16 AM

First of all, I’d like to thank the Academy, my illustrious and gifted coworkers, and everyone that went into making this moment possible. It’s really the culmination of my career on the Interwebs, and I’m grateful. And truly humbled, there’s that. And a shout out to the folks at Hot Gas *mike cuts off*

JRCash on December 12, 2011 at 11:09 AM

*tap tap tap*

Hello?

If you’re reading this then you know how happy I am to be able to join the conversation. This is a tremendous site and asset for Conservatism and I am excited about the opportunity to add my voice in support.

As for me, I live in the 10th Congressional District of North Carolina, one of the most conservative in the state. I’m proud to say that we have not sent a Democrat to Congress in over 40 years! I want to give a shout out of support to all Conservatives living in areas that can’t say the same. Stay strong and keep up the good work!

cicerone on December 12, 2011 at 11:10 AM

And no, I was not being sarcastic. I can’t imagine what it’s like being a Conservative in California, for instance.

cicerone on December 12, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Well, here we go again.

M240H on December 12, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Greetings all.

Another newbie here. And another Conservative Californian. I’ve read Hot Air every day for over a year. I especially love the frequent updates throughout the day. Looking forward to being part of the group of commentors. I’ll try to behave.

Grouchy Old Lady

Nana on December 12, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Thanks for letting me register. I am a happy camper

scboy on December 12, 2011 at 2:56 PM

I FINALLY made it! Thanks, Hot Air, for opening your comment registration. Many times I’ve tried to comment, and now I might finally succeed! Thanks for all your hard work. Keep it up!

tgdouglas on December 12, 2011 at 3:16 PM