Brainwashing: Scholastic’s incomplete take on the Occupy movement

posted at 1:45 pm on December 9, 2011 by Tina Korbe

As a little girl, I liked to flip through the pages of the Scholastic book catalogue — and I was one of the few students who read whatever news bulletins our teachers gave us from cover to cover. Now, I wonder what propaganda pills I inadvertently swallowed as a youngster just because I was earnest and interested to learn what Scholastic had to teach.

A Michelle Malkin reader was understandably concerned when his child brought home the December edition of Scholastic News, one of many offerings from the venerable publishing company. The issue tackled the Occupy Wall Street movement — with notable finesse. Read the article and you’d come away with the impression that the 99 percent are a pretty peaceable plugged-in bunch.

It’s not necessarily that what the author of the article wrote was wrong so much as it was incomplete. Nowhere, for example, does the article mention the rampant misbehavior of the Occupiers, even though the tally of the various incidents of violence and vandalism has reached 417. The closest to a mention was the final paragraph of the article: “All Americans have the right to speak out. But as these protests continue, mayors in some cities are worried about the strain on their cities’ resources. For example, extra police officers and cleanup crews are needed to make sure the gatherings remain peaceful and orderly.”

On the flip side, Scholastic didn’t scruple to exclude these types of paragraphs from its earlier coverage of the Tea Party:

Tea Party candidates also had some surprise wins in primary elections, which determine who will represent their political parties on the November ballot. Christine O’Donnell, a candidate for Vice President Joseph Biden’s Senate seat in Delaware, was backed by the Tea Party. She has since become known as the candidate who has had to declare publicly that she is “not a witch.”

In Nevada, Sharron Angle, a Tea Party-backed Republican candidate, has become a real threat to U.S. Senator Harry Reid, who currently serves as the Senate Majority Leader. Reid called out the big guns to go up against his opponent. Former President Bill Clinton was recently in Nevada campaigning for him and warning voters against casting their ballots in anger.

“If any time in your life you make an important decision when you’re mad, there’s an 80 per cent chance you’re going to make a mistake,” Clinton said at a rally for Reid. “I don’t want people to abandon their anger. I want them to channel it so they can think clearly.”

Perhaps I’d be more inclined to overlook the OWS coverage as a blatant bit of brainwashing if it didn’t come from the same company that promotes The Down-to-Earth Guide to Global Warming, which was written by a producer of “An Inconvenient Truth.” Earlier this year, Scholastic also eliminated its “United States of Energy” curriculum, which taught students about various forms of energy, including wind, solar, hydroelectric, nuclear, coal and natural gas. The program was a balanced one — but liberal special interest groups objected because it didn’t paint coal in a negative enough light.

Why is it so hard to tell the whole truth?

Comments

dumber they are, the more dumbocratic they vote!

SDarchitect on December 9, 2011 at 1:48 PM

The turning of young little minds into mush continues.

jimfreedom on December 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Winning the hearts and minds…

It’s these things that push me more and more toward the idea of home-schooling.

WhaleBellied on December 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Scholastic and the NEA: “Don’t worry children, we’ll tell you what to think so you don’t have to! See how nice, warm, and fuzzy you feel now, life is so much more easy without the hard stuff getting in the way.”

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on December 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Government schools (of which Scholastic is an offshoot) have been in the business of brainwashing and indoctrinating our children for many decades. Recently this brainwashing has been ratcheted up many notches. Anyone with a child in a government school is well advised to meticulously review everything that your child is exposed to there. I have found it to be less time consuming and far less annoying to simply pull my kids out of government school altogether.

silvie on December 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM

With selections like that, we’d be better off if our kids couldn’t read.

Govicide on December 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM

OT: did anyone see the link on drudge where new towers in south Korea look like the twin towers exploding on 9/11

Unstinkingbelievable

cmsinaz on December 9, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Appears there is no way to avoid the PC nonsense. My son is a huge fan of the Cars 2 movie and they have oil companies out to be the bad guy trying to keep sustaniable fuels from making a success.

The kid is really into reading now and we buy a lot of scholastic books. Maybe some enterprising conservative will put together a list of kids books for conservatives.

We shouldn’t have to put up with this nonsense.

earlgrey133 on December 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM

I remember the Scholastic Books offerings at my high school–all of sophomore year it seemed as though every offering from the “girl” books was teenage pregnancy. It was really weird to me. They never had any good offerings, only social commentary offerings.

herm2416 on December 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM

To be followed by “Dick and Jane poo on a cop car” pop up (or out) book.

JimboHoffa on December 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I’m so glad to hear that Scholastic is fair and balanced. I will be glad to explain this stuff in detail to my sons myself, with out Scholastic’s bias.

bshedwick on December 9, 2011 at 1:58 PM

It’s so easy to counter it, if you try. Little love, a little listening, a little good home cookin’, and “teacher” doesn’t stand a chance.

Christien on December 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM

One can certainly get angry at the naked attempts at indoctrination. The silver lining is that this is an opportunity to teach children about critical thought and skepticism.

The fact of the matter is that children are going to be bombarded with facts and opinions throughout their lives; some will be true and most will be false. Using skills of reason, each of us must parse the stream and take the nourishment while discarding the poison. The public schools are the first battleground for young, thirsty minds and vigilant, aware parents.

Galt on December 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Scholastic?

The company that sold me countless Goosebumps books as well as a copy of Descent II?

And now they’re reporting on OWS? Must be tough to have to pretend to do actual work as opposed to selling crappy books to undiscerning children.

mintycrys on December 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM

The kids deserve the whole truth. The teachers unions’ Alinsky brigade won’t give it to them.

Contact info:
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at bookclubs@scholastic.com or toll-free at 1-800-SCHOLASTIC (800-724-6527). We are available Monday – Friday: 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Central Time, and on Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Green eyed Lady on December 9, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Yeppers! We are a military family who live in a huge military town. My son actually had a teacher say “The military lost Vietnam.” My son piped up and said, “no it was the American public and politicians who lost Vietnam.”

Indoctrination starts in the home :)

melle1228 on December 9, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Liberals in education are all about letting children make their own choices and learn on their own, but only when liberals control the facts the children are presented with on which to make their choices. And I really wonder how a modern liberal public school teacher would react if a child in her class turned in a paper with a rational reason for preferring petroleum power sources or nuclear to the usual windmills and solar panels.

Socratease on December 9, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Saw this on Michelle’s site earlier, but this is the first I heard of them talking about the TEA party movement. Funny that they say there were wins in the election, but then go on to list two of them that lost.

robertlbryant on December 9, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Hey, I loved those crappy books. Where else could a schoolboy slake his thirst for stories of dinosaurs, Greek mythology, and geeky kids that came out winners?

Socratease on December 9, 2011 at 2:06 PM

So no mention of the fact that most of the OWS community want to abolish Capitalism and replace it with Socialism?

And Scholastic also failed to note that both the American Nazi Party and Communist Party USA support OWS?

Figures.

bugle boy on December 9, 2011 at 2:06 PM

My daughter is a 4th grader and brought this carp home this week. We have discussed our opinions re ows and Obama MANY times with her and involved her in our conversations. It was all so slanted with “sunshine & puppy dogs happy thoughts” I wanted to puke.

BTW – This is probably the third scholastics booklet she has brought home in four months that there was at least one article that was slanted either pro-democ-rat or pro global warming.

FearTheHippo on December 9, 2011 at 2:06 PM

*Facepalm*

The Demonrats just love brainwashing children, don’t they?

vegconservative on December 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM

melle1228

Sounds like you are doing a good job raising him!

bshedwick on December 9, 2011 at 2:09 PM

YEARS AGO WE LEFT SCHOLASTIC……

Unfortunately the progression from the harmless, actually creative stuff that Scholastic offered years ago to the Dark side is complete.

Sure they offered “goosebumps” years ago but after Harry Potter and Twilight it’s now 75% complete garbage.

We don’t even buy any of it for the youngest yung un.

Remember the “weekly reader”?

Sad.

PappyD61 on December 9, 2011 at 2:09 PM

It’s not hard to tell the truth. They only want you to know the left’s “truth”.

Hard Right on December 9, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Finally crashed the gate after years of lurking.

What’d I miss? :)

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on December 9, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Remember when children were safe and secure in their childhood?

This link will make you sad.

PappyD61 on December 9, 2011 at 2:12 PM

My kids have Kindles and access to my vast library of conservative non-fiction and some great fiction.

No need to buy books from Scholastic anymore.

Ed in Texas on December 9, 2011 at 2:12 PM

We shouldn’t have to put up with this nonsense.

earlgrey133 on December 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM

The Lord of the Rings and The Charge of the Light Brigade. My old man started me young, and I remember listening the Battle of Pelennor and “Theirs is but to do and die” while lying in bed at the age of four. Stories like those don’t teach the superiority of free market economics, but they show what it means to have courage and honor, and the skill with which their written leaves everyone kids wanting to do something worthy of Tennyson’s and Tolkien’s heroes.
The economics and political specifics will come in time, but youngsters can’t help loving great literature, which is the first step towards true intellectualism and the tools to see through selective articles like the Scholastic piece.

Atlas on December 9, 2011 at 2:14 PM

It’s sad when we basically have to fight the indoctrination / brainwashing before the kids hit preschool, but we’re gonna have to – or else it’s 16 + years of force fed garbage that we’ll be undoing.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on December 9, 2011 at 2:15 PM

dumber they are, the more dumbocratic they vote!

SDarchitect on December 9, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Thread winner.

Long haired country boy on December 9, 2011 at 2:15 PM

What I have a problem with is that everything they talk about is in generalities. For example, my 8 year old brought home a Scholastic Health Bulletin that was talking about the dangers of fatty foods. I agree that eating a lot of foods with transfats can be dangerous to your heart and waistline, but the book made it sound like all fat was bad. I had to explain to her that there is such a thing as “good” fats that actually decrease heart disease. They also left out the dangers of consuming large amounts of simple carbohydrates which are just as dangerous (if not more so). Scholastic made it a black and white issue. I understand what they’re doing and the level of kids they’re trying to engage, but not offering all the facts is just as bad as knowing none. As for politics, Scholastic should just shut up.

ReaganWasRight on December 9, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Scholastic books, the Sleeping Beauty witch’s poison apple for the children. “I brought this just for you, my pretty”

NOMOBO on December 9, 2011 at 2:16 PM

*Facepalm*

The Demonrats just love brainwashing children, don’t they?

vegconservative

They have to. They don’t have kids at the rate everyone else does (if at all). So to continue their BS views, they have to brainwash the other people’s kids.

Liberals are much like the cuckoo bird. It kicks one of the other birds egg out, then lays it’s own egg. When the cuckoo bird egg hatches, it is raised by the victim bird.

Hard Right on December 9, 2011 at 2:20 PM

The propagandists make Machiavelli, Muenchhausen and Pinocchio turn green with envy in their graves.

Such combined charlatanry could have never been imagined.

The thugs, media above them all, need to spontaneously combust due to dereliction of duty.

Schadenfreude on December 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Pravda is waaaaay more plausible today than any of these charlatans.

Schadenfreude on December 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM

@earlgrey

You can get a reading list from Hillsdale Academy

Our family doesn’t buy from Scholastic and never will. Believe me there’s a wealth of interesting stuff out there for kids to read.

LV22309 on December 9, 2011 at 2:24 PM

All Conservatives want from liberals is the truth.

We don’t to offer the public anything more than that.

Speakup on December 9, 2011 at 2:26 PM

There’s a reason why Bill Ayers changed his methods and went into “education”… He found that brainwashing youth was more effective than bombs.

BPinNC on December 9, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Your recitation that there have been 417 instances of vandalism or violence is inaccurate from even a cursory review of the Drudge-sanctioned site you reference. Many of the so-called episodes of violence and vandalism are nothing more than the expression of unpopular views (fliers touting the necessity for violent revolution, the endorsement of the movement by communists, etc).Truth is the first casualty of any propagandist.

plewis on December 9, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Wonder no longer Tina, you were brainwashed into believing that…

a) Socialism is not another word for Marxism.
b) That Socialism equals societies responsibility to it’s citizens.
c) That America is basically a socialist society.
d) That only evil greedy capitalist millionaires and billionaires oppose socialism.
e) That attempting to subvert and overthrow the US Constitution in the name of social justice does not equal treason.
f) That “From those according to the ability to those according to their need” is a Christan value and represents justice and fairness.
g) That “The End justifies the Means” is a valid and justifiable political ideology.
h) That the average individual is insufficiently informed and to personally invested in their own desires to make rational decisions regarding what is best for society.
i) That an individuals personal moral and ethical decisions and values do not impact society as a whole.

In other words, you have been indoctrinated into Marxist political ideology and you are a Marxist and you don’t even know it. Not one of those things listed from a) to i) are actually true. They are the basic tenets of Marxism.

SWalker on December 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM

If you are looking for good books for your children to read, I can suggest some book series that I read as a kid and enjoyed thoroughly:

- The “Harry Potter” book series

- The “A Serious Of Unfortunate Events” book series

- The “Lord Of The Rings” book series

- The “Chronicles Of Narnia” book series

theoddmanout on December 9, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Schadenfreude on December 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I feel that I must defend Machiavelli from the rap he’s gotten. The Prince was written as a counterpart to another of his works called The Republic. The respective works were meant as discussion of authoritarian and representative political structures, and the methods that made each system work, NOT as endorsements of one or the other. In fact, it could probably be said that Machiavelli disdained authoritarians, as he showed in The Prince that one had to abandon honor, scruples, and every other quality important to rational humanity in order to consolidate and preserve authoritarian power.
Unfortunately, The Republic is often forgotten, and The Prince is seen (and used) as a tyrant’s guide book, rather than the pair of them taken as more encyclopedic than persuasive works.

Atlas on December 9, 2011 at 2:33 PM

If I had a child in a public school today, I’d probably be in jail for terrorizing school personnel. The brainwashing makes me livid.

petefrt on December 9, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Why is it so hard to tell the whole truth?

Tina, Tina, Tina. “Truth” is what your masters in Washington tell you ‘is the truth’.

Sounds like it’s time to send the Scholastic a nastygram pointing out their hypocrisy. Won’t fix anything, but will let them know they haven’t fooled everyone. Who knows, you might even find someone there with a functioning conscience.

But I doubt it.

GarandFan on December 9, 2011 at 2:35 PM

My childhood dentist had Scholastic reading materials in the waiting room. IMHO it was always a mind control organization, designed to build correct (passive and obedient) thinking in kids. When I read it, I heard a female voice in my ‘reading ear’. I never had any assumption males were involved in the product, and half my teachers were males, growing up

Why is it so hard to tell the whole truth?

It is not hard to tell the truth. It is hard to accept the consequences of truth. The truth interferes with the new reality

The new reality is required to guide the masses toward politically correct decisions. This is what passes for education now.

In the interest of expedience the new masters are hoping to avoid the need for re-education in the Soviet, or Maoist models

Play your cards right and you can booze it up on taxpayer jets with Perlosi and gang while the properly conformed suckers defecate in tents in the protest zones

entagor on December 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Geez. I have only fond memories of the books I had from Scholastic. In fact, I still have a couple from over 40 years ago. One is titled “Escape From Warsaw” (which also goes by the original title “The Silver Sword”) by Ian Seraillier. It’s still as captivating and riveting to read now as it was when I first read it in the sixth grade. Amazon.com has several listings for it.

PatriotGal2257 on December 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Scholastic Magazine has had a liberal bent for decades. I was in junior high in 1964 during the Goldwater-LBJ presidential race. I remember reading a joke at that time that went something like this:

“Have you heard about Blacks For Goldwater?(except the joke used that “N word” which was accepted back in 1964)

“No, I haven’t”

“Well, they’re a couple of real nice guys!”

So even back almost 50 years, kids were getting the message from so called current events magazines that conservatives must be racist. Of course I don’t recall reading any jokes about LBJ bragging about sewing up the black vote for generations to come.

susandiane311 on December 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM

ReaganWasRight on December 9, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Yep, this is a huge pet peeve of mine. It’s junk science and it’s irresponsible and can even be dangerous. Children need fat to develop, and as the mother of a very skinny kid who needs to put on weight, it drives me crazy that it’s so hard to find, say, yogurt which isn’t fat free and that the schools insist on giving them non-fat milk. To make lo-fat foods taste good all they do is add sugar which is worse. They have also demonized potatoes which saved people from dying of famine and have many valuable nutrients. And then there’s the salt wars…

FearTheHippo on December 9, 2011 at 2:06 PM

When I worked as an elementary school sub I had to constantly initiate discussions about their biased stories. I recall one about turning off lights to Save the Polar Bear. I explained to them that while it’s a good idea to turn off lights because we pay for electricity and it’s wasteful, they weren’t going to save any Polar Bears by doing it.

As an aside, I remember in that same class that day we were reading a children’s novel that had a “hobo” character. One of the indoctrinated students attempted to inform me that the word “hobo” was baadddd, that the correct word to use was “unfortunate person”. I advised him that it was an historical term, that hobos were prevalent during the Depression, that hobos they are called, and will continue to be called because you can’t erase history (or should I say, you can try but you will not succeed).

Buy Danish on December 9, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I really think everyone is blowing this out of proportion. I thought the article in itself wasn’t that bad. The questions on the other hand were misguided. Also, I agree that the Tea Party was a much stronger voice and had a coherent message but received less favorable coverage. All in all I don’t look at this as an example of blatant leftism, but still a good reminder for parents to cover current events with their children.

weaselyone on December 9, 2011 at 2:39 PM

This is why parenting is so important.

neal64ss on December 9, 2011 at 2:40 PM

The Long March Through The Institutions continues…

Parents, you must read EVERYTHING your kids bring home from school, and even what they don’t. There is liberal propaganda even in French and Spanish and Math class. ASK QUESTIONS. Don’t just go to those back-to-school nights where you get 10 minutes in each classroom. Meet the teachers one at a time and find out what they are teaching your kids. Go through their textbooks, especially in history. The younger the teacher, the more likely they are to be not very smart, indoctrinated themselves in a liberal university education department, and pushing all sorts of garbage wittingly and unwittingly on your kids.

If you think all this is just too much trouble, YOU are part of the problem!

BTW, National Review periodically does lists of good non-partisan books for kids. William Bennett’s “Book of Virtues” series is also great. When my kids were small I got all the Little Golden Books and they loved them just as much as I did.

rockmom on December 9, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I was once hired to edit a short film for Scholastic. The film, shot in a public school on Manhattan’s lower east side was intended to promote their bi-lingual teaching materials. What the producers brought back was a utter indictment of bi-lingual education. A fifth grade class full of children who could not read nor speak English or Spanish with any proficiency. When the Scholastic execs saw the first rough cut they killed the project.

muggedbyreality on December 9, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Not my kids. We homeschool.

av8tr on December 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Speaking of OWS and brainwashing check out this video of Zuccoti park protesters proudly shutting down the set of Law and Order (Special Victims Unit). There are two blatant ironies here. Can you find both of them?

Buy Danish on December 9, 2011 at 2:45 PM

If you want to see Global Warming – er, I mean Climate Change propaganda for young minds (control), pick up a copy of National Geographic for Kids.

Great pics but at the expense of chidren getting “gored”.

efficacy on December 9, 2011 at 2:45 PM

The propagandist educator is his own worst enemy–the ultimate “don’t be that guy” object lesson for the kids.

Sam Kinison and Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School.

Christien on December 9, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Just got this from a fellow Hillbuzzer:

Thanks for posting this. I just about crapped twinkies when I read this earlier. This is one of the many reasons we home school now.

I encourage fellow Buzzers to call Scholastic and ask what the rationale is for including an article such as this. Don’t bother with the menu items in the original message. Keep pressing 0 until you are connected with a live person.

I just spoke with two of their representatives who were very nice. I was polite and wanted to know why they were putting out propaganda like this. I am awaiting a return call from their editorial department.

I know this may sound like I’ve been blown off, but we each have to do our part to express our concern/outrage when we can in appropriate ways. If they don’t hear from us, they won’t think twice about pulling a stunt like this again, and again, and again.

At the very least I know I educated one of the reps about Michelle Malkin and her website.

bob loblaw / Hillbuzz

Green eyed Lady on December 9, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Green eyed Lady on December 9, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Clever nic. bob loblaw=blahb lahblah.

Christien on December 9, 2011 at 2:56 PM

rockmom on December 9, 2011 at 2:40 PM

No kidding. I’m in Georgia so teachers tend to be more conservative but they don’t seem to give much thought at all to what they are teaching. My favorite sub experience was a very nice but clearly clueless teacher who gave me a “history” video about the early 20th century to screen for the class, along with a worksheet they were to fill out.

It began with the words, “John D. Rockefeller was a scoundrel”, and proceeded to talk about how Eugene Debs was a saintly hero, via interviews with, you guessed it, Howard Zinn and others. After a few minutes of this nonsense I said, “Stop the tape!”. We had a discussion about bias, about stereotypes of the rich being bad and the poor being virtuous, that they should be alert for this sort of thing, and I reminded them that we are not a Socialist country. They actually seemed to really enjoy the conversation. I let them finish watching it, and left a note for the teacher advising her it was leftist propaganda and IMHO was totally inappropriate for 4th graders. I looked it up on Amazon, and sure enough it was part of a series, and the Amazon reader reviews talked about what shameless propaganda it was. I didn’t go back there so I didn’t get a chance to ask her if this was part of the curriculum or just something she had picked up from the library to keep them busy when subs were there.

Buy Danish on December 9, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Not my kids. We homeschool.
av8tr on December 9, 2011 at 2:43 PM

About 2 months ago, our local news in the SF Bay Area proudly announced that the winner of a prestigious national science competition for high schoolers was one of our locals. As I eagerly waited for the name of the school to be announced, thinking it would be one of the elite private schools, the news announcer mumbled the words “home schooled.”

GeoffK on December 9, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Why is it so hard to tell the whole truth?

Because, in the Land of Lies and Deception, truth is treason.

Amendment X on December 9, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I love to use incidents like this to show my daughter and her friends how bad journalism and reporting has gotten.

When they ask me about these issues and refer to reading material like this…it is easy to take them to several different news sites to show them what is being left out of the reports.

My daughter had several friends over recently and OWS was brought up.
I took them to Hot Air….Verum Serum…Instapundit….Big Government…and showed them videos of the violence,racism,and attacks against the police.

The looks of astonishment and comments of “we’re being lied to” coming from young kids (democrat and Republican) concerning the MSM show just how badly the media is hurting itself with their bias.

Not only did the kids get a better understanding of the issue….they see just how pathetic and agenda driven news reporting has become.

I don’t make the mistake of pushing my conservative views on them…I merely tell them to research for themselves today’s issues because the MSM will leave you woefully uninformed.

Baxter Greene on December 9, 2011 at 3:17 PM

- The “Harry Potter” book series

- The “A Serious Of Unfortunate Events” book series

- The “Lord Of The Rings” book series

- The “Chronicles Of Narnia” book series

theoddmanout on December 9, 2011 at 2:32 PM

oddman, you are a young’n if you read those as a kid :) I was thinking more Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew.

NOMOBO on December 9, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I think many people need to homeschool history at least. My friend bought a pitbull mix the other day called Cleopatra. His very bright daughter said, “You can’t call her that. Cleopatra was a prostitute”.

I did a Guam and capsized.

CorporatePiggy on December 9, 2011 at 3:25 PM

The picture they showed of the Occupy protest?? Uhhhh, a survey of OWS found only 1.6% were African-American; they must have searched long and hard to find the picture they used. Representative? NOT!

michaelo on December 9, 2011 at 3:26 PM

As a parent, it is diffiuclt to decide how much you challenge all the biased curriculum at school, when your child sits in the classroom with the purveyors of such every day. Do you put your child through the stigma? At what age? I waited til mine were in high school, and even then, tread very carefully, as I didn’t want to jeopardize their college admissions, etc.

bntafraid on December 9, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Clever nic. bob loblaw=blahb lahblah.

Christien on December 9, 2011 at 2:56 PM

You should check out Bob Loblaw’s Law Blog
He’s an excellent lawyer ;)

WhaleBellied on December 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Baxter Greene on December 9, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Well-done!

Buy Danish on December 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM

The press over all is strongly biased to the left. If you haven’t read it yet, I recommend Left Turn by Tim Groseclose which is chock full of useful information.

edshepp on December 9, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Pravda is waaaaay more plausible today than any of these charlatans.

Schadenfreude on December 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Sad, but true!

ITguy on December 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I used to love reading the Scholastic newsletter, I have to wonder if it was that biased even back then or if it has “evolved” like all of the public education system has.

Every day I see more confirmation that we made the right decision by home schooling.

joejmz on December 9, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I wonder if the State of Kentucky read environmental books from Scholastic and that’s the reason it set this mandate for Kentucky students:

The plan’s objective is to ensure that Kentucky students are educated about the environment when they graduate from high school.

It is admirable students learn about their environment, but it seems as if these subjects oftentimes have an agenda attached to their teachings.

Who is educating Kentucky students about the environment? Those who believe alternative energy can realistically save our earth? Will they teach students it’s permissible to use taxpayer money for the development of solar or wind or whatever special lobby receives the money?

Kentucky children probably won’t see this petition in their classroom teachings:

It states:

Resourceful Earth- a project of the Competitive Enterprise Institute- is drawing a line in the sand and taking the fight to the RADICAL ENVIRONMENTALISTS.

Today, nearly ONE MILLION Americans work in the natural resource extraction industry in the US. And TENS OF THOUSANDS more JOBS could be created through new extraction developments like oil, gas, and mining.

Yet RADICAL Environmentalists are using the ACTVIST EPA to stand in the way of NEW JOBS.

Like the OWSers, the environmentalists will probably get a pass from classroom teachers. Talk about brainwashing….

manateespirit on December 9, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Last year my daughter brought home a Scholastic book, a timeline of our recent presidents. I flipped through and a half page photo of Hillary as First Lady caught my eye. She got a swooning paragraph with the photo, too, all evidently awarded for attempting to perpetrate HillaryCare. Forewarned, I paged further to see how Reagan was treated… he was awarded one sentence and no photo. o.O

And kudos to Atlas on December 9, 2011 at 2:33 PM for his defense of Machiavelli. We would be blessed if our MSM was as objective as Machiavelli.

aawlberninF350 on December 9, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Well-done!

Buy Danish on December 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Thanks….

Baxter Greene on December 9, 2011 at 4:21 PM

The Truth:

Laughlan: Do you believe this sh1t? Twenty-four hours a day.
Mick: Seven days a week.
Ben: Don’t listen to it.
Laughlan: I worry about the kids. The network shuts down schools. The kids are either in hiding or getting basic training, brain-washed by the TV.
Weiss: We can jam the network once we find the up-link to the satellite, then we’ll broadcast the truth.
Ben: The truth, hasn’t been very popular lately.

Ben: I’ve seen to much? All I’ve seen is a bunch of low foreheads who think they can change the world with dreams and talk. It’s too late for that. If you’re not ready to act give me a break and shut up.
Mick: Nothing worth losing your head over though, aye?
Ben: You got it.

orbitalair on December 9, 2011 at 4:21 PM

This isn’t an example of the primary reason we homeschool but avoiding this type of propaganda is a great benefit. My decision to homeschool was made easier when my son became insistent, almost to the point of tears, to pray for the Earth after a day of preschool that included curriculum about “caring” for the Earth. One day.

quiz1 on December 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM

plewis on December 9, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Houston, we have a troll.

I agree it is overblown. After all, Occupy Baltimore only had two stabbings.

Laura in Maryland on December 9, 2011 at 4:23 PM

weaselyone on December 9, 2011 at 2:39 PM

It isn’t just this one thing. It feels like we’re being pecked to death by ducks. The political correctness and indoctrination goes on day after day.

Try having your kids correct you when you sing “He’s got the whole world in His Hands” because they’ve learned a revised version for Earth Day.

Try hearing that you can say “Happy Holidays” because not everyone has a holiday in December.

Try getting a raft of hooey from the school’s vice-principal because your under-weight kid bought too many sugar snacks from the SCHOOL’S cafeteria.

Try dealing with a school that spends money on feel-good programs, para-educators, esol instructors, inclusion helpers, and reading specialists, but can’t be bothered with G/T kids (or kids with real special needs for that matter).

Laura in Maryland on December 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Laura in Maryland

Sorry, I’m dense today. What is a G/T kid? Gifted? Are you a teacher, parent or both? Your experiences sound dreadful, but true.

manateespirit on December 9, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Thanks to all the posters that suggested options for conservative type books for my kids. I think they will really enjoy these books too.

earlgrey133 on December 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM

My daughter had several friends over recently and OWS was brought up.

Baxter Greene on December 9, 2011 at 3:17 PM

You could add this...

The entire Occupy movement summarized in one sign
Photojournalist El Marco has returned from a trip to New York during which he documented the final days of the Occupy Wall Street encampment in Zuccotti Park. His newly published collection of Zuccotti Park portraits contains many unforgettable images, but one particular image summarizes the entire Occupy movement — and the entire entitlement mentality as well.

I present the photo I have titled “JFK’s Greatest Nightmare“:

Green eyed Lady on December 9, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Clever nic. bob loblaw=blahb lahblah.

Christien on December 9, 2011 at 2:56 PM

You should check out Bob Loblaw’s Law Blog
He’s an excellent lawyer ;)

WhaleBellied on December 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Yes, he is. And a very nice man.

Green eyed Lady on December 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM

manateespirit on December 9, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Parent, and yep, that stands gifted & talented. We had several other issues too. I ended up on the pricipal’s speed dial. My oldest is now in private school.

Laura in Maryland on December 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM

It is easier to write my children’s huge tuition check each month every time I read a story like this. I finally convinced my sister, who just moved to California, to send her kids to private school. She told me endless stories of problems with her children’s public schools in NJ. And I stopped buying anything from Scholastic years ago. My older children can now spot propaganda in movies and their books easily. We have to educate them and counter this indoctrination ourselves.

ktrich on December 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM

The kid is really into reading now and we buy a lot of scholastic books.

earlgrey133 on December 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Consider reading what you wrote here. I think it might give you some ideas about how to “avoid the PC nonsense”.

Jaibones on December 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I am so glad my wife and I decided to home school. Not only are we confident they are receiving a superior education over public school, but the whole experience is enriching all of our lives.

Saltysam on December 9, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Laura in Maryland on December 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Wow, Laura. Just, Wow.

Saltysam on December 9, 2011 at 6:12 PM

None of this can be fixed. The only remedy is to abolish government schools.

Horace on December 9, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I toss those.

AshleyTKing on December 10, 2011 at 12:59 AM

My daughter just submitted a 3 page letter to the dean of her college… It was a scathing indictment of one of the professors she has to deal with this semester.
The class has gone from 30 to 11, and not because the work load is too tough. The professor has used her position of power to berate and belittle everyone in the class who disagrees with her political stands… on everything. Her class is now called the “soap-box” by her students.
The class is ‘public speaking’, and she demands that all speeches be about controversial topics. After a student delivers their speech she picks it apart based on political ideological, not any scholastic speech writing/giving merit. She even goes so far as to attack students for their religious affiliations and beliefs. She called my daughter’s religion a bunch of cowards… Yup. She’s that nasty.
A number of the other students joined my daughter in send letters to the dean. The professor has since acknowledged in class that she will get even with the whole class as the result of the action and she has identified my daughter as the instigator.
My daughter is carrying A’s in everything else, but right now she has a 60 in this class… It seems that the retaliation was already occurring… it’s just a little more official now.
Many years ago I went to the dean of the Physics department and received a full refund for a class because of a non-teacher professor. Same thing happen with the class size, but people bailed because of his blatant inability to present the material not abuse of power. I was one of the last to realize that even though we were past the drop date, I did not have to just suck it up.
I demanded and audit of the class and a full refund. My daughter has asked for the same thing but she was instructed to present a formal letter instead for now. She is hoping that the dean is preparing a case to relieve the post retirement age prof of her slot on the roster. Perhaps a refund is in the works too… but in the meantime… thank God my daughter is a strong woman.

RalphyBoy on December 10, 2011 at 2:20 PM