Perry, too, takes a pass on the Trump debate

posted at 5:40 pm on December 8, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Well, this puts Newt Gingrich in a pickle, doesn’t it? Will the Newsmax Donald-Trump-moderated debate now be a head-to-head contest between the increasingly formidable frontrunner and substantive straggler Rick Santorum? Gingrich does love a good one-on-one debate, as his repeated invitations to President Obama to meet him at a Lincoln-Douglas-style event indicate … but how out-of-the-cool-kids-loop does he want to be? Is he popular enough at this point to make the debate OK all by himself? Michele Bachmann could still decide to attend, but, for whatever reason, Mitt Romney and Rick Perry still seem to be the only candidates pundits postulate have a chance against Gingrich (and Perry, just barely … in fact, just because he’s second in the Hot Gas reader poll).

To be sure, it was definitely in Perry’s best interest to decline the debate — and not because it’s to be moderated by a reality TV star. When has a debate ever enhanced Perry’s chances at the presidential nomination? His press crew didn’t say he’ll avoid the stage to avoid embarrassment, though. Like Mitt Romney’s team, Perry’s press people said his calendar is just a little too crowded:

The Texas governor’s campaign said in a statement that Perry has talked to Trump and respects him. But there are two debates scheduled in the next seven days. “We have respectfully declined the invitation for the Dec. 27 debate,” campaign spokesman Ray Sullivan wrote.

Perry instead plans to focus on retail campaigning in Iowa. “Traditional retail campaigning in the days and weeks leading up to the Iowa caucus is the Perry campaign’s top priority,” Sullivan wrote. “In the coming weeks, Governor Perry will be in Iowa almost continually, meeting with real voters, doing town hall meetings and events, and talking American jobs, faith, and overhauling Washington, D.C., to Iowa voters.”

So far, Republicans Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman, and Ron Paul have said they will not participate. Paul’s campaign said Trump’s participation will contribute to a “circus-like atmosphere,” while a Huntsman spokesman emailed Business Insider that “We look forward to watching Mitt and Newt suck-up to The Donald with a big bowl of popcorn.” Romney, like Perry, said he will focus on hitting the campaign trail. Perry has had weak performances in several past debates.

Again, though, why would Trump moderation be such a travesty? Reince Priebus says it’s his flirtation with an independent run that makes Trump problematic. OK. I really admire Mr. Priebus, so I’ll agree that’s valid. And I certainly understand the objections to Eason Jordan — but, in general, I keep coming back to this: Trump surely couldn’t be any worse than madman Jim Cramer or too-cool-for-his-britches Blitz (although, actually, the one time I met him ever-so-briefly in person, I really liked him!).

Meantime, why haven’t the candidates been merciful to decline debates before this one? As I’ve said before, every single one has served the opposition with attack ad material — and few new candidate views have come out since, say, the fifth debate (Gingrich’s immigration positions, perhaps). I might not understand the particular outrage associated with this particular debate — but I won’t mind if it’s scrapped anyway.

Comments

Premiere!

Palin could show up. Trust.

Apologetic California on December 8, 2011 at 5:42 PM

The good news is that there is now room for Johnson and Roemer.

Kataklysmic on December 8, 2011 at 5:42 PM

It will be cancelled.

Scrappy on December 8, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Trump’s ego will get stroked because of this debate. That’s all that will come of it.

LaughterJones on December 8, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Well, I guess Trump could just crown Gingrich the nominee!

MeatHeadinCA on December 8, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I haven’t had a problem with this debate until Mr. Trump continued to hint that he might still be a candidate. That’s just too weird. Surely it will be cancel for lack of participation.

Cindy Munford on December 8, 2011 at 5:44 PM

It will be cancelled.

Scrappy on December 8, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Modified. Those that participate will be flown to Hawaii in an all inclusive vacation that includes searching for Obama’s birth certificate on live television.

MeatHeadinCA on December 8, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Trump doesn’t have the journalistic gravitas that comes with airing fake Air National Guard memos. That’s why, Tina ;)

BKennedy on December 8, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Trump lost the guy who’s #1 at Hot Gas?!

Also, my first post! Woot!

incredible on December 8, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Given the gravitas attached to anything Trump produces, I propose Newt debates Matt Damon, Miley Cyrus, and Kim Kardashian.

CorporatePiggy on December 8, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I saw a preview for the Trump debate last night.

NotCoach on December 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Perry passing on a debate? So what else is new…

TMOverbeck on December 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I would watch The View before I would watch Gingrich, Santorum, and Trump yacking with each other.

Mark1971 on December 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM

A mistake for Perry. He needs some good debates under his belt. This one would be very loose and loose is right up his alley. Biiig mistake Rick. If it’s canceled, it’s canceled no harm no foul. He would at least appear ready and willing.

dakota on December 8, 2011 at 5:52 PM

It absolutely bleeping amazing that we’re having serious discussions in the Conservative movement about whether our candidates should be involved with Donald Trump. In any way. Can you imagine what Bill Buckley would think of this pathetic display?

AYNBLAND on December 8, 2011 at 5:52 PM

CorporatePiggy on December 8, 2011 at 5:46 PM

To be honest, I’d love to see Newt debate a lot of those liberal know-it-all celebs that are just begging for a beat down.

Scrappy on December 8, 2011 at 5:52 PM

“I run the greatest debates” /Trumpvoice

Roymunson on December 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Santorum made a good point. He criticized his GOP rivals for flying to NYC to speak w/ Trump “but when Donald wants to moderate a debate, they refuse to attend.”

debg on December 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM

I give Ron Paul serious credit for leading the charge on this. It was a joke from its inception.

MadisonConservative on December 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Perry should have shown up imo, I don’t see the big deal with Trump hosting the debate as long as there are pre-conditions that he won’t bring up any birther stuff. Trump says a lot of things people on both sides of the aisle like to hear and the candidates who show up may be able to tap into that rhetoric for their advantage.

Daemonocracy on December 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I feel bad for Newsmax…

Seven Percent Solution on December 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM

For any of them to skip this debate is really stupid. National air time is not cheap and they are getting a chance to use it for free for two hours.
Then again for Perry it may be a good idea to miss all debates. With him having a temper and not being very good, someone could set him off and watch him bounce off the walls and kill any election chances.
For Paul another one that is bad at debates although his content is accurate, they could make him look very bad.
Hunstman who is he again? :)

Santorum and Newt both with not tons of money see this as an opportunity and most know that Newt is a great debator.

Michelle B. you are almost out of $$$$$$ you really need this free air time.

tims1chap on December 8, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Damn it. I wanted to see all the candidates do the potato sack race, and the hand off the egg from a spoon in their mouth competition.

portlandon on December 8, 2011 at 5:57 PM

me too tina i don’t know what is wrong with this debate

lollyb on December 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I’m hoping Bachmann takes a pass. Then it could be a Lincoln-Douglas Gingrich vs Santorum debate. And that way Santorum might get some press coverage!

Stoic Patriot on December 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Mark1971 on December 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Now lets not go overboard…

… your still a young man!

Seven Percent Solution on December 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Good for Rick Perry. He needs and wants to spend time with the Iowa voters and the Trump debate is worthless.

Rick Perry slams Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich in new ad for mandates

Rick Perry: “Repeal”

bzip on December 8, 2011 at 5:59 PM

I don’t trust Trump. He has supported many Dems and …I believe voted for Obama.

One episode of “Trump Unplugged” could make anyone who sat on the stage with him look like an idiot.
When he starts jabbering about “Just tell China…Hey!…this is the way its gonna be”..or “Screw those Kuwaitis…tell them..Hey!…we’re just gonna take your oil”..and then starts spinning with anyone who shows up for the “debate”, it could be a real disaster.
The people who have refused to appear are smart to refuse.

Mimzey on December 8, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Perry declined to participate after learning he would be required to actually speak in a coherent manner.

Dack Thrombosis on December 8, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Not a bad idea, actually. There would be blood on that floor by the end. They’d be sweeping up teeth.

Dack Thrombosis on December 8, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Blitzer is a professional journalist. Cramer was clearly playing second banana to Maria Bartiromo, also a professional journalist.

Trump is a reality TV star, and those appearing with him will appear to be auditioning for Celebrity presidential Apprentice.

Someone got murdered before New Year’s Eve

Someone said that Dignity was the first to leave

JohnGalt23 on December 8, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Good that means we wont have to stare at that thing on Donalds head.

tom2789 on December 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Maria Bartiromo, also a professional journalist.

Bartiromo is a journalist like I’m an astronaut.

Dack Thrombosis on December 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM

I don’t blame Perry… or anyone else who passes on this video ego stroke-apolooza. I certainly won’t watch it.

Can’t stand the donald (no cap on purpose). He’s a gas-filled wind bag with delusions of grandeur wrapped around a core of total insecurity.

Next time the combover’s name comes up, I won’t hold back so much.

Just sayin’.

LaserBeam on December 8, 2011 at 6:05 PM

MadisonConservative on December 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Paul probably rejected it because Trump doesn’t hold him in very high regard. If I was Paul I wouldn’t show up either. Trump could hurt him.

dakota on December 8, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I wouldn’t mind if this debate was canceled, although I do think it might be fun to watch.

As far as Perry sitting out, he’s been looking for a reason to sit out of each debate, this was the first one he actually had a good reason to do so.

vegconservative on December 8, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I could be wrong, but anyone who shows up is just going to be a launching pad for “The Donald”. The people who have refused to appear are smart to refuse.

Mimzey on December 8, 2011 at 5:59 PM

+100

You’re not wrong. Everything the donald does is totally about the donald. He is the epitome of the spoiled rich kid archetype.

LaserBeam on December 8, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Daemonocracy on December 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM

With Trump there is no such thing as pre-condition

OrthodoxJew on December 8, 2011 at 6:10 PM

MadisonConservative on December 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Don’t forget Huntsman, baby!

“I’m not going to kiss his ring, and I’m not going to kiss any other part of his anatomy.”

Abby Adams on December 8, 2011 at 6:11 PM

The rest are scared of Trump AND Newt. Newt…who gives a darn, wanna talk…BRING IT!

Go Newt…the only one that can/will eviscerate the SCOAMF…period.

winston on December 8, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Maybe Perry could run the rest of his campaign without saying a word. They could hire someone that sounds like him to do voice-over work in his ads and personal appearances.

Dack Thrombosis on December 8, 2011 at 6:11 PM

So basically, Newt wins the Trump endorsement by default. Not only that, but Newt gets a stage to himself a few nights before the opening Caucuses.

What was going to be a grilling of the candidates turns into Donald Trump and Newt talking about the future of the country with Rick Santorum there to butt in now and again.

And this is supposed to be a loss for the Newtmeister?

He’s the best political mind in the Republican Party. For a reason.

Johnimus on December 8, 2011 at 6:12 PM

This is great for Perry. If I remember correctly, wasn’t the moderator a “birther”? Seems like the stupid birth certificate controversy might have been brought up.

Joffen on December 8, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Roymunson:

“I run the greatest debates” /Trumpvoice

Pith of the Day.

Please proceed to the window and collect your winnings.

AnonymousDrivel on December 8, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I think the public is sick and tired of the same boring structured run by talking heads that hate republicans debates. Just the idea of Gingrich following Obama around to every city he visits was a twist and intriguing. Mix it up people. Given Trump may have ulterior motives but I think it will be fun and maybe revealing. I wish they all would attend. It would have been an opportunity for the R’s to loosen up and show another side of their personalities. Most importantly I think it would have been received well by the public… if all attended. In it’s abridged form I aint so sure.

dakota on December 8, 2011 at 6:17 PM

So, does this mean Perry is a gutless coward too, proving that Perry really is afraid of debates after all?

xblade on December 8, 2011 at 6:18 PM

MadisonConservative on December 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Ditto and Amen.

Jaibones on December 8, 2011 at 6:18 PM

And this is supposed to be a loss for the Newtmeister?

He’s the best political mind in the Republican Party. For a reason.

Johnimus

Maybe he can sit on a couch with Nancy Pelosi next.

xblade on December 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Newt is just too good for the rest of them. Obama will never debate with Newt…heck, Hillary mopped the debate floor with Obama, so he would stand no chance against Newt, even with a Teleprompter and several aides close by.

Karmi on December 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Good that means we wont have to stare at that thing on Donalds head.

tom2789 on December 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Check out #1 and #2 on this list. Seems to be a NooYawker thing… fugetaboutit.

LaserBeam on December 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I would be afraid if I were Newt with just him and Santorum on the stage.

Santorum is no slouch in the debating department and needs Iowa. I can see Santorum going after Newt’s scandals and crony dealings pretty hard.

sheryl on December 8, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Go Newt…the only one that can/will eviscerate the SCOAMF…period.

winston

Yep, I suspect Newt’s support of a health insurance mandate will be the end of Obama, lol.

xblade on December 8, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Maybe he can sit on a couch with Nancy Pelosi next.

xblade on December 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Actually, notice how he’s dealt with this: “I cocked it up, big time”.

That kind of honesty is pretty refreshing to a good many voters. And in any case, he has the advantage of running for the nomination against the poster child for soullessness, so it’s not that harmful.

Johnimus on December 8, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Of all of Newt hairbrain ideas this one is one of the worst.

SNL couldn’t do a better parody than a pudgy white hair man stalking Obama around while he’s flying on Air Force One doing his presidential gig…….what a sorry visual it would’ve been to see our candidate degrade himself like that.

sheryl on December 8, 2011 at 6:25 PM

sheryl on December 8, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Yeah, right.

Dack Thrombosis on December 8, 2011 at 6:26 PM

At the end of the debate…

“After listening to you for the better part of two hours. I agree America needs new leadership. We need someone bold to take us forward. Someone who can surmount any challenge. Someone who can get the job done NOW.

And, that someone is…ME!

You’re all fired!

I’m running for dicta…uh, President!”

– donald trump

LaserBeam on December 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM

What is amazing to me is none and I mean none of the people who comment here have achieved anywhere near the sucess of Donald Trump. With this fact in hand, where in the hell do you get off criticizing his ability to do something none of the commenters here are anywhere near capable of doing? Most of the lops who claim the ability of foresight have no idea how the debate will turn out. What I know is Romney and Perry are not in the same league as Gingrich when it comes to debate and policy.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on December 8, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Cramer was clearly playing second banana…

JohnGalt23 on December 8, 2011 at 6:03 PM

After reading this, “Islamic cleric bans women from touching bananas, cucumbers for sexual resemblance”, please don’t mention Cramer and banana in the same sentence again.

*shudders*

Flora Duh on December 8, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Good move by all of the candidates for skipping this farce.

Trump is only about Trump.

Get out there and meet the caucus and voting folks and do some retail politicking.

ES

English Springer on December 8, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Everybody needs to skip this circus act.

Southernblogger on December 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Leaving … Gingrich, Santorum and maybe Bachmann.

To my surprise, Trump is speaking for a lot of people who feel the same way, especially the Tea Party. I recommend they do this debate. They will get a lot of speaking time and a lot of media exposure.

apacalyps on December 8, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I don’t trust Trump, Morris, or Newsmax. Never have.

Connie on December 8, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Trump:

“This will be the best debate. We will have a fantastic set. Our questions will be the greatest questions ever asked. Our debaters, they are the cream of the crop, the absolute best. The ratings on this debate will wipe the others completely out.”

TXUS on December 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM

It’s obvious that Trump will endorse Newt after the debate.

Good for Perry not allowing himself to be a pawn on stage for Trump. Santorum and Bachmann should also decline. Trump needs to be taken down a few notches.

purgatory on December 8, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Actually, notice how he’s dealt with this: “I cocked it up, big time”.

Johnimus on December 8, 2011 at 6:24 PM

That supposed honesty was followed by a lie about he was giving historian advice for Fannie & Freddie,

*He is honest about his 3 affairs,
*He is honest about the couch thing
*He is honest about his humanity for illegals
*He is honest about his federal mandate
*he is honest about his solutions for every problem is the government (of course only if the government is running the way he wants to run the big government)

There is only so much honesty i can take

OrthodoxJew on December 8, 2011 at 7:01 PM

whew!

thank you perry….

this will definitely fizzle now…

cmsinaz on December 8, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Trump:

TXUS on December 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM

hahaha, there will be no debate :)…that unless Palin shows up for…a pizza with the Donald :)…

jimver on December 8, 2011 at 7:04 PM

I see where this is going:

Remember when Herman Cain was in the lead, and he had a one-on-one debate with Gingrich? It put Newt right in the public eye, and then when we all jumped off the Cain Train right before it came off the tracks, we got Newtmentum.

So then, two questions:

1. Is there enough time for everybody to jump off the Newter Scooter and onto the….Santorum….I got nothing.

2. What will libs take to UrbanDictionary to define “Santorumentum” as?

Kakalak Pundit on December 8, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Good. I wouldn’t watch it regardless of who’s there. Everything about Trump repulses me.

juliesa on December 8, 2011 at 7:14 PM

purgatory on December 8, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Yeah, he is probably steamed over being the punch-line of most of the jokes at the Correspondant’s Dinner. You could literally see the smoke coming off his comb-over!

Betting this will be cancelled now.

ES

English Springer on December 8, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Bachmann is out.

eyesky on December 8, 2011 at 7:36 PM

As an independent I think this is a good move on the part of those who declined. I would think that too those who arent politically inclined Donald Trump is just a reality tv person and it does make it seem like a joke/game and I dont think that he is worthy of hosting a debate for the President of the United States of America. I mean whats next? Should “The Situation” host a debate with “Sookie” Co-hosting? If a politician wants to go on SNL or a talk show like the view or a late night show then that makes sense. You know going in what to expect, but to have a reality personality host a supposedly serious debate is foolish.

Just my two cents.

Politricks on December 8, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Good decision by Perry. Hope it will be cancelled now; anyone who is smart will be covering ground in Iowa between now and the primary, shaking hands and doing the retail politicking. Perry is very good at that and he has absolutely nothing to gain by participating- I don’t think any of them do. This is a crucial time in all of their campaigns.

kg598301 on December 8, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I wouldn’t show up unless Trump guarantees he will not run or back anyone 3rd party.

barnone on December 8, 2011 at 7:39 PM

heck, Hillary mopped the debate floor with Obama

How racist of her

shaloma on December 8, 2011 at 7:40 PM

MeatHeadinCA on December 8, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I’d pay to watch that!!

Talon on December 8, 2011 at 7:52 PM

This is consistent with Perry’s long-expressed desire to participate in fewer debates and his recognition that he does lousy in them. It is also consistent with not having what it takes to stand up and fight Obama.

GaltBlvnAtty on December 8, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Well..debates are not Rick Perry’s ‘trump’ card….

Dum da dumm…

Mcguyver on December 8, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Kakalak Pundit on December 8, 2011 at 7:12 PM

NEWTER SCOOTER!!

I love it!!

Talon on December 8, 2011 at 8:02 PM

So… Perry takes a pass on a debate. What else is new? Everything is becoming a side-show!

mooseygoosey on December 8, 2011 at 8:05 PM

The more I reflect on Gingrich’s record and Mitt’s record – the more I am giving a second look at Perry. He has said some dumb things. We have all said some dumb things – including Mitt (Romneycare)and Newt (Was for the individual mandate before he was against it).

Reality is that any one of the people up there for the GOP is far better than the present occupant of the White House. I think we all need to keep that perspective in focus.

famous amos on December 8, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Zelsdorf Ragshaft

None of us have achieved the level of success of Obama either. Maybe he should moderate our next debate. Maybe George Soros could do the one after that, and if she has time, maybe Rosie O’Donnell after that one.

Sheesh.

xblade on December 8, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Zelsdorf Ragshaft

xblade on December 8, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Trump needs to hit Rove hard publicly. Bush and Rove are the reason we ended up with Obama.

apacalyps on December 8, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Is there room for Thaddeus McCotter?!

John the Libertarian on December 8, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Oh well. Now if Trump repackaged it to be like Huckabee, call in Steve Wynn, CEO of Olive Garden and Jack Welch to form a business panel with Trump moderating, it should be a winner a whoever skips it will have missed the chance for a serious discussion.

AH_C on December 8, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Will these polite rejections get The Donald’s dander so riled up he will announce running as an indie? Was probably going to do that after the debate anyway, saying he wasn’t impressed.

PatrickHenry599 on December 8, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Flora Duh on December 8, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I work in produce. While stocking the bananas I was caressing each bunch while moaning softly.
///
Actually-when to hijabed ones and their master came in I was working on the grapes. The grapes remind me of…

annoyinglittletwerp on December 8, 2011 at 11:52 PM

to=two.
Sorry.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 8, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Perry passing on a debate? So what else is new…

TMOverbeck on December 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM

This is the first debate Perry’s has skipped. For all the flack he caught just thinking about skipping others — which he did NOT — it was MITT and Huntsman who have skipped. Mitt skipped the IA Thanksgiving Forum and Huntsman skipped the debate in NV AND Huck’s forum. You lie.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on December 9, 2011 at 4:07 AM

The reason candidates are skipping is twofold: Trump made it a reality show JOKE when he said that immediately afterward he would endorse someone! He made it like his stupid “Apprentice” show; the s second reason is that Trump has a conflict of interest because he’s still thinking of running third party.

This was a JOKE to our Republic and our Constitution. It undermined the entire serious process by turning it into a reality show.

I’m very proud of those who decided to skip. And embarrassed by the two who jumped at the chance.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on December 9, 2011 at 4:11 AM

mooseygoosey on December 8, 2011 at 8:05 PM

So I see you’re another liar. Perry has not skipped even ONE debate before this JOKE but Mitt and Huntsman HAVE skipped good, serious venues.

Aslans Girl on December 9, 2011 at 4:14 AM