Rick Perry on CNN: I’m second in the “Hot Gas” reader poll, you know

posted at 6:35 pm on December 7, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite. My memory’s hazy but, as I recall, “Hot Gas” was one of the three finalists when we sat down to name the site in early 2006. Michelle had the trump card so we ended up where we ended up, but I’ve always wondered what might have been if my personal preference had won out. Imagine it: “Gassy Air.” Five years later, Perry would have turned that into “Gassy Gas” in today’s interview, which would have been a clip for the ages. Ah well.

This is, without question, the greatest HA near-name-check of all time. And yes, for the record, Perry is indeed in second place in the new Hot Gas reader survey.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Prolly lives in some cold, nasty, jobless, union-ridden blue state surrounded by assclown liberals.

kg598301 on December 8, 2011 at 5:56 AM

Gotta stick up for my neighbor to the North, MadisonConservative. I’m willing to give Perry a second look but only because I really dislike the choice of Mitt and Newt but the Rickster, himself, is making it difficult for himself to make a comeback.

Fallon on December 8, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Oh, sheesh, delete one of those himself’s. At least, I’m not running for president. Being a Hot Gas poster is apparently too difficult for me at times, lol.

Fallon on December 8, 2011 at 7:33 AM

Fallon on December 8, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Perry’s “making it difficult for himself”? He has done VERY well at his last few debates, he handled his “brain freeze” brilliantly (even Dem strategists have come out to say so), he did nearly ALL MSM shows afterward, he’s done a bunch of interviews for FNC/MSM/Leno/Stewart which all went really well for him, he was great at Huck’s forum (Huck, who has a grudge against Perry dating back to ’08 said he did really great and the whole panel of AGs agreed), he’s got great ads out… he’s doing fine and his IA numbers show that. He is gradually getting out of the hole he was in. His numbers are even slowly starting to go up in SC. Hot Air’s poll, which was recently studied by (iirc) an MSM source shows that what happens here is often a prelude and Perry’s getting 2nd place twice in a row now and climbing.

He hired a debate coach three debates ago and shook up his campaign staff. He’s spending tons of $$ in IA and campaigning hard.

Aslans Girl on December 8, 2011 at 7:40 AM

I like Perry. I have enthusiastically defended him against attacks based on what I considered to be insignificant gaffes or lapses. I have patiently waited of him to give me something to work with, though. Come on, Governor — something. Anything. (And please ditch the religious talk. Social cons know where you stand and we will all expect you to act in accordance with your beliefs if you reach office. But there is no sense in taping a “kick me” sign to your back.)

IndyinVirginny on December 8, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Oh, and click my username to see him give a ROUSING speech on Dec. 1st to the NH legislature.

Aslans Girl on December 8, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Aslan’s Girl on December 8, 2011 at 7:41 AM

The Hot Gas thing was funny but the recent Iowa ad made me uncomfortable. Only Democrats can pander to the religious and not get labeled a theocrat. Why give them the ammunition?

Fallon on December 8, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Perry seems to be stronger each time out. Too bad he didn’t make the decision to run a year ago instead of when he did. If he had I think there would be no question that he would have out shined the rest of the field. As it is I’m not sure he has enough time to claw make to the top. But you can’t count him out because he has a LOT OF MONEY to spend.

dman232 on December 8, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Fallon on December 8, 2011 at 8:14 AM

So you don’t like his most recent ad… what about all his other really good ones including the one where he calls Obama a “miserable failure”? Or the Marcus Lutrell one? All his other ads are pretty darn great.

Aslans Girl on December 8, 2011 at 8:17 AM

But you can’t count him out because he has a LOT OF MONEY to spend.

dman232 on December 8, 2011 at 8:15 AM

That and he’s quite used to coming from behind and winning.

Aslans Girl on December 8, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Yep this still makes me laugh this morning.

gophergirl on December 8, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Good Mornin’ HotGas! This thread still going? Daaamn, who mentioned Palin? Wait…no Palin?

Sekhmet on December 8, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Haha.. that’s funny stuff right there.

Hot Gas… Sheesh. :D

Nineball on December 8, 2011 at 8:36 AM

That’s my Governor.

kuro_shogun on December 8, 2011 at 8:38 AM

kuro_shogun on December 8, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Lucky you. I’m stuck with Pat Quinn :(

Aslans Girl on December 8, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Aslan’s Girl on December 8, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I’m leaning Perry. I’m now voting in the Hot Gas polls for Perry but I want to see him consistently rise as a candidate, not one step forward and a Texas two-step back.

I want to see him continue to be authentic but be more presidential (hard to define). We are not at odds here. I am loudly screaming NO NEWT! and NO MITT! but, I still can’t tell you that I am 100% in Perry’s camp yet and I certainly won’t send him my cash until I am 100%. That’s all.

Fallon on December 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Aw, don’t be too hard on him. He just resents us Texans because we’re so happy and prosperous- he never ceases trying to convince us we’re as miserable as he is. Prolly lives in some cold, nasty, jobless, union- ridden blue state surrounded by assclown liberals. It’s made him bitter. It’s sad, really. lol

kg598301 on December 8, 2011 at 5:56 AM

I don’t think you know just how accurately you hit that nail. The difference between Illinois and Texas, attitudinally, is stunning. As they say … I got here as fast as I could. When you come from a state where all our previous governors personally make all our license plates, Perry looks damn good, even with all his flaws.

teabone on December 8, 2011 at 8:49 AM

I like the guy, but damn he makes W look eloquent

jcelephant on December 8, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Fallon on December 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM

I get it. I’m praying that his slightly better numbers hold up and continue rising and that his internal polls that were released continue their upward climb, too. He *himself* has improved — greatly — in debates and getting face time on TV by finally doing a ton of interviews. He’s working hard to convince people like you who like him but aren’t sure.

One thing that feels certain is that Newt will implode… it’s just what he does (and thank goodness for that, lol); I just hope it’s sooner rather than later since an implosion in several months will kill us and that his supporters migrate over to Perry.

Aslans Girl on December 8, 2011 at 8:54 AM

teabone on December 8, 2011 at 8:49 AM

As an Illinoisan, I lol’d! Oof, Illinois: the national laughingstock.

Aslans Girl on December 8, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Fallon on December 8, 2011 at 7:31 AM

That’s how he rolls :)

Right now poseurs are parroting the MSM’s meme Perry’s dumb. The thing is gaffes or not, that’s still going to be the meme for any conservative in the running. They think it makes them seem “intelligently informed” but they are just too insecure to form a thoughtful opinion for themselves so they parrot the MSM’s meme. I listened to Lamont Hill on the factor with Bill O’Reilly, lamenting why do republicans always pic the dumb candidate. Dumb by who’s standards? Rick Perry is a successful Governor, he has executive experience- lots. Perry knows how to push all the buttons,and pull all the levers to make “Government” work for us. Capable and Dependable. What people want in a republican candidate is a “show horse” they delusionally believe that then the MSM can’t label their choice dumb, and run with that meme in the news cycle. The MSM is NEVER going to give a conservative candidate, and for that matter an establishment republican a fair shake, it’s not going to happen. Why people on the right feed into the MSM’s narrative is anyone’s guess? They take themselves very serious, and they wouldn’t want to be seen as rube or poke by supporting a candidate that is more than “QUALIFIED” to be President of the United States, because the MSM which is Big, Dumb and Lazy, has passed superficial judgement. We already have a hand picked Media show horse in the White House, hows that working out for everyone? Does Obama look like he has any clue as to how to push the buttons, and pull the levers inside our government to make it work for us? Rick Perry’s entire message is about making government work for us, and not Washington D.C. insiders….but hey he didn’t call a blog on the “internet” by it’s correct title, he’s’ not running for President or busy or anything so that means he’s not Qualified/

It’s incredible how many lemmings swallow whatever the media is “selling” it does put the a 98 IQ average of an American in perspective. There are a whole lot of people in this country who can’t or won’t think for themselves. They just buy into false media narratives- poseurs.

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Aslans Girl on December 8, 2011 at 8:56 AM

It’s tough. People here in TX ask where you’re from and when you tell them, they look at you and smile and say “Oh really! What brought you here?” and they’re REALLY thinking “Illinoisans think they know every thin’, comin’ here with their blue state ways” … NOT REALLY, everyone here is too nice. I can see that all the bigger cities here are already being chipped away by blue stater ways, and I’m HORRIFIED. Sometimes I tell them I’m from Crook County Illinois just to see the look at their face. I don’t think they get that.

teabone on December 8, 2011 at 9:21 AM

I like the guy, but damn he makes W look eloquent

jcelephant on December 8, 2011 at 8:50 AM

ha, indeed.

wi farmgirl on December 8, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Rick Perry is going to win the primary and then go on to trounce Obama in the biggest landslide since 1980 because the cosmic irony of Obama being beaten by a ‘dumber,’ ‘red necky-er’ version of GWB is too delicious to not happen.

:D

bitsy on December 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM

:D

bitsy on December 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Perry/West 2012!

Still clinging to our guns, hugging our bibles, and avoiding strangers :)

Barack Obama “If the republicans win in November 2010 it’s going to be like hand to hand combat”

Col Allen West Retired Army, Iraq War Vet, and Freshmen US Representative from Florida , Mr President, I’m trained in hand to hand combat”

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 9:36 AM

I am new to the hot air family, I just read all the comments, and I am shocked!! This is supposed to be a conservative website?? Were we are ripping one of our candidates for a mistake on the name of the blog?? The Governor has million things on his mind right now, he is running the 13th largest economy in the world, he is campaigning day and night, and probably somewhere in the middle of it some of his staff told him about the Hot Air poll, so now he is supposed to remember the name of all the blogs, and if not he is not qualified to be POTUS?? Are you kidding me!! WOW!! We are worse than the MSM!!

Nathan NY on December 8, 2011 at 9:51 AM

HotAir/Hot Gas just was mentioned on Chuck Todd’s show…LOL.

neoavatara on December 8, 2011 at 9:53 AM

That’s how he rolls :)

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Great post. I went to highlight the best parts and I wanted to highlight the whole thing.

I agree with every word.

Yeah, the Hot Gas thing was funny and cute, but nothing to hold against him. So what?

Conservatives need to start using “so what?” and “I don’t care” alot more. We twist ourselves into pretzels trying to please the media and liberals, who will never be pleased and who will NEVER vote for our conservatives.

Independents and REagan Dems will vote for our conservatives,especially against Obama.

Everyone knows by now that Obama is not some brain trust. He will be prepped for the debates, but when he talks other times without the teleprompter he is “ahhh, ahhh, ahhh”

This country remembers the SNL “amiable dunce” who had everyone in the country working and feeling proud of our country again after Carter.

I think I could stand 4-8 years of SNL mocking another “amiable dunce” and have my country in better hands.

And this general election will not hinge on debates. Perry would still put NJ in play, trust me. Even after the mistakes he’s made. Expectations of him are low now, so people will accept imperfection from him.

He has performed well this past month. If he keeps it up, with just a few stumbles, he can pull this off better than Newt can.

I don’t trust Newt to win this in the long-term, even though he’d also make a good President.

Elisa on December 8, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Maybe Perry was thinking about pipelines at the time.

Steve Z on December 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM

And some of you actually take Perry seriously?

You idiots who still cling to the failed neoconservative foreign policy of interventionism and nation building have three choices:

– Flip flopping and big government Romney
– Flip flopping and skirt chasing Gingrich
– Bought and paid for Perry

It sucks to be you.

popularpeoplesfront on December 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Elisa on December 8, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Newt’s got a money challenge to deal with, and ground organization. He’s still he’s my dark horse pick.

The media has done it’s best to condition people to believe the standard for President is some kind of pre programmed, scripted, robotic like performer. By always speaking condescendingly of conservatives, they are incubating the timid, and insecure who fear looking foolish to peers. That’s not what makes Americans – Americans, we are not timid people worried about making fools of ourselves, if we were, we would be say Canadians:)

People have to stop adopting the MSM’s measuring stick for candidates, because it’s biased and it’s superficial. Obama won because a lot of people bought into the media hype, and chose Style over Substance. When I read comments where people are buying into the Media meme all over again, it makes me think some people can’t learn from experience. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over, and over again, and expecting a different outcome.

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 10:19 AM

popularpeoplesfront on December 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Moron says what?

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Agreed. Especially the “incubating the timid” part.

Elisa on December 8, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Bought and paid for Perry

It sucks to be you.

popularpeoplesfront on December 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM

At least people would have money in their pockets to buy and pay for things. I’m very comfortable with that.

Elisa on December 8, 2011 at 10:32 AM

3-term Governor of the worlds 13th largest economy, 2nd most US populous State, former AirForce Captain-Commander In Chief over 20,000 Texas National Guard troops. Professional and personal life intact, married to the same woman for 25yrs+. Love it when folks post in these anonymous cyber rooms how dumb and inarticulate Perry is when we haven’t seen their IQ score or their resume. Then they go on to support Newt Gingrich lol, kind of cancels out that whole theory of articulation and the internal Mensa think tank with a botched record of conservative credentials replete of scandal~

sunshinek67 on December 8, 2011 at 10:32 AM

It sucks to be you.

popularpeoplesfront on December 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Not as much as it does to be you.

cozmo on December 8, 2011 at 10:45 AM

My gawd …he is suck a f*cking hayseed.

The Ugly American on December 7, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Way to live up to your user name buddy.

Susanboo on December 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Agreed. Especially the “incubating the timid” part.

Elisa on December 8, 2011 at 10:30 AM

The answer is for The Perry Team to make it okay and cool to be a Perry supporter. Christian Conservative can conjure up old 1950s references for some folks. But there are popular current reference for the same group of folks. In Music, Movies etc…The Blues Brothers ‘Takes place in Cook County” was all about being on a Mission From God. Elwood: It’s 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark… and we’re wearing sunglasses :)

The same goes for music there are crossover groups like Live, for example Heaven. There are plenty of ways to update Christian Conservative image, and make it palatable, comfortable and relatable to large groups of average Americans. The media is trying to use an old dated stereotype of Conservative Christians to make them appear unsophisticated and stodgy. The republicans have a big enough problem with the image of being the old white guys party. I am guessing Team Perry have marketers advising them, but they should be working on his appeal to average folks, he’s stated he’s the Conservative Christian Candidate. There is a lot they can do with that, including some light hearted humor. Huntsman’s daughters get this, they are going a long way to update their dad’s image. It’s easy to manipulate the media’s news cycle ask Donald Trump. It’s just a question of where you want to lead the narrative, and the tone.

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I’m late to the party as usual, but can’t pass on Perry.

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Well said. Let’s assume Perry IS dumb. His record would indicate that too many states and Washington have too many Ivy League geniuses running things. Take a look at the #1 state with Jerry Moonbeam Brown and the #3 state with Como[sic] Junior. These guys are absolutely brilliant! It goes without saying about Obama. Then take George W.– Yale. Rick Perry–Texas A&M. And don’t forget how smart Newt is! Yep, I’m just a dumb ol’ country boy from Texas tryin’ to make it best I can.

cartooner on December 8, 2011 at 11:04 AM

And some of you actually take Perry seriously?

– Flip flopping and big government Romney
– Flip flopping and skirt chasing Gingrich
– Bought and paid for Perry

It sucks to be you.

popularpeoplesfront on December 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Well aren’t you pleasant.

gophergirl on December 8, 2011 at 11:14 AM

He may be gaffetastic, but I still like him!

poljunkie51 on December 8, 2011 at 11:19 AM

cartooner on December 8, 2011 at 11:04 AM

The thing is, Team Perry is letting the Media control the narrative. I always tell my daughter that people have 2 choices in life – either they let life happen to them or they get actively involved in their life, and participate in their outcomes. It’s basically offense vs defense.

Perry is best on offense. He’s made it clear that he’s the Conservative Christian Candidate in this race. There are around 80% Christians in this country, and 93%? believe in God. He’s not the odd duck out, he’s not “the other” the secular media paints him to be. Perry needs to sell his brand it’s as simple as that, and instead of the Media misrepresenting his brand – they play down or don’t mention his positives. Team Perry needs to go on offense. He’s got a great ad team, they should keep their eye on the ball and direct those ads at Obama, and if they want to include Nan and Harry, well I am up for another early Christmas Present :)

I am serious about Allen West on the ticket. I just don’t know if the country, could handle all that testosterone :)

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 11:21 AM

And some of you actually take Perry seriously?

– Flip flopping and big government Romney
– Flip flopping and skirt chasing Gingrich
– Bought and paid for Perry

It sucks to be you.

popularpeoplesfront on December 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I can tell your days are going to be numbered here, troll.

You signed up yesterday just to come and insult us? Shouldn’t you be reading threads over at Daily KOS and singing Kumbaya with your fellow OWS idiots?

TheRightMan on December 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Aslans Girl on December 8, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Just wanted to say “thank you” for all your posts, Aslans Girl, from one Narnia fan to another. Every one of your posts has always encouraged me whenever I see you on HA.

sunshinek67 on December 8, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Well well well–long time no see, my friend sunshinek67!!! Twitter, RS, and now HA friend! Ah, good to be among buddies–this is going to be fun.

louisianapatriette on December 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Keep in mind that Perry brought it up himself in a feeble attempt to show he has strong conservative support. If that’s all he’s got, he should at least get the basic facts right. Like the name of the site and the fact that the poll wasn’t limited to Iowa. Sheesh.

Rakshasa on December 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM

cartooner on December 8, 2011 at 11:04 AM

It reminds me of a quote from another famous Texan, General Tommy Franks, from Midland Texas. He relates running into one of his teachers after he made General. The teacher said to him, paraphrasing, you became a General, I don’t remember your grades being that good. Franks replied “I know is this a great country or what” GRIN.

Tommy Franks American Solider.

My father in law a Vietnam Veteran, bought multiple copies, and got them signed for 2 of his sons, my husband retired Army, and my brother in law, who is still active Army, when General Franks came through for a book signing.

It’s not the show horses that do all the heavy lifting in this country, that get’s relegated to the doers

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Rakshasa on December 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM

So what, it got Hot Air publicity and traffic. Perry should update his comment, you know what, that wasn’t just a Poll for Iowa, I came in 2nd in the reader poll in the entire nation. I am truly thankful to all the “Helium Air” folks LOL!

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Hot, Hot, Uh… Hot….

HOT DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY!!!

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I can tell your days are going to be numbered here, troll. TheRightMan on December 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM

He’s probably just upset because he was evicted from his home.

Don’t tell Bishop, you know he hogs the precious all to himself. This one doesn’t look like it’s got a long shelf life. I need to go through my lures, and see what I have for anyone that still uses the term “neoconservative” that’s got to be some stale bait, I can’t imagine what they are biting on ;)

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM

sunshinek67 on December 8, 2011 at 10:32 AM
“THEY” lynched cain because he posed the biggest threat to “them” .
They/them being main stream propaganda machine and dc insiders,
Cain posed the biggest threat to them because he wasn’t one of their own. They produced people who claimed X when they had no proof of X ever happening. They want ourbummer or ourbummer white to be in office (Romney), They will do everything they can to make that happen, this is just the beginning of how it will happen. They will try to make Perry look like “W” or worse. Newt will be the untrustworthy whore of Washington. I find it very funny that “THEY” can produce all these people from cains and newts past and as soon as perry proves he is a threat they will start producing women who MAY have slept with perry. Until then perry is going to be marginalized. I do have one question though. How come the press has never produced one person that went to school with ourbummer or a past girlfiend/boyfriend ? The media is NOT our ally, they haven’t been on OUR side since Vietnam.
The election process is worse than American idol. Its not the BEST man for the job it is who the media likes best.

ColdWarrior57 on December 8, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 10:58 AM

+555555!

Your comments are spot on, Dr. Evil, and they show that you get it.

You have condensed the problems of this primary season in those comments of yours. Two things primarily drive poll numbers in our media-heavy culture:

1. Positive media spin on a candidate
2. The perception that a particular candidate is the ‘cool’ kid, the in-thing.

Liberals gun for these in attempting to marginalize a candidate and thus make it ‘uncool’ to support that candidate. The labels they use include: ‘dumb’, ‘racist’, ‘angry and bitter’, etc…

- Reagan was labeled dumb (how many know that?)
- GW Bush was labeled dumb
- Palin was labeled dumb
- Perry is being labeled dumb

McCain was the “angry and bitter” candidate, as you can sure bet Gingrich will be.

But who can seriously say that Obama is smarter than Bush? The leftist media started the alternative meme about how smart Obama is – one that is quickly ppicked up even by conservative media.

It is time for our side to fight back. I will welcome Ed or AllahP, as well as other conservative writers, churning out a series of articles that will start the debate on how we define ‘dumbness’.

Is it based on how a candidate speaks? Because it sure is not based on how a candidate acts.

Or else, how can conservatives call Gingrich ‘smart’ despite his numerous dumb actions and label Perry ‘dumb’ despite his numerous smart actions?

TheRightMan on December 8, 2011 at 11:45 AM

That’s my Rick.

J.E. Dyer on December 8, 2011 at 12:14 PM

I certainly hope Asian’s Girl is right!

Perry is the ONLY candidate with a record of accomplishments during the worst economic times since the ‘Great Depression’.

purgatory on December 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I am gay. I am a Republican. This morning I was watching Fox News and a Rick Perry campaign ad appeared. He was walking around in a work jacket and condemning Obama for allowing gays to serve openly in the military and Obma’s attacks on Christianity or Christians. The add was way over the top for myself. As far as I feel he needs to just go back to Texas and rot. I guess that gays serving in silence and fear of being exposed does not disturb his fundamentalist Christian ethics, but gays serving openly does.

SC.Charlie on December 8, 2011 at 12:31 PM

@CW, amen brutha-

@LPatriette: hahaha I love this, new ‘Hot Gas’ Team Perry members finally got the pass from MrEd. Travellin right now, I’ll be in touch hon’, love~

sunshinek67 on December 8, 2011 at 12:34 PM

OK, This is hilarious:

thphilli on December 8, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Anything. They will bite on anything.

Lily on December 8, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Fallon on December 8, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Eek, as in Wisconsin? I went there once. In February. Dang. That explains a lot.

kg598301 on December 8, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Fallon on December 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM

It doesn’t matter who you support now, as long as you end up supporting and voting for the ultimate candidate. Some here sound like they’re content giving our own Muslim Socialist another four years because they don’t like the alternative.

stacman on December 8, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Bless his heart, if Perry wins the nomination, he will constantly be giving the enemy media fodder for ridicule with his Bushesque malapropisms. That said, I think he could be a very effective president, and let’s face it: our dog catcher would make a better president than what we’ve got now.

RebeccaH on December 8, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I believe Perry is going to surprise everybody in a very positive way. There is a partial book for sale on Kindle for $.99 with the title “Perry and his eggheads”. This story describes the incredibly intelligent use of scientific analysis utilized by Gov. Perry to his most recent Governor’s campaign. This approach included randomized trials, such as the ones used to test new drugs, only applied to political campaigning. According to the book, no one else will even consider using such methods of scientific analysis to measure results and use the data to manage their political campaign.

Gov Perry was expected to lose the last Governor’s election – remember? He beat the very popular Kay Bailey Hutchinson by 20 points using an unconventional campaign designed with guidance from his own staff of political scientists from Yale. How dumb is that? If you read between the lines of current reports, that approach is being used again in this campaign. For example, have you noticed how far his money goes? In his Governor’s campaign he payed no one on his campaign staff more than $10K a month, with a bonus collected upon his election. The high priced consultants had to work for what is considered very little, and depend on their success to collect the big reward, or work for someone else. It appears he is using the same strategy now.

Perhaps we should consider that Perry is not succeeding right now in the MSM’s eyes, or in some of our eyes, because he is not playing by their (old) rules. His strategy is being devised using a scientific method to measure the success of a particular campaign strategy. Every ad, and nuance of speech in that ad is being analyzed by his staff for a positive response in the real world. If the response isn’t positive, the approach is changed in a rational, strategic manner. We are simply not used to seeing political campaigns run this way. I think it is highly intelligent, and the way all political campaigns will be run eventually. How dumb is that?

As for his debate performance and gaffes, who cares? Ronald Regan co-starred with a chimpanzee in one of his movies. That didn’t matter either. Perry will no longer be considered dumb if his campaigning method results in Obama losing by 20 points.

burtensley on December 8, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I believe Perry is in the lead in the “Pull My Finger” survey, and is locked in a three way tie with Romney and Gingrich in the “Barking Spider” survey.

Jim M. on December 8, 2011 at 1:00 PM

TheRightMan on December 8, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Today’s media is secular so they are going to marginalize the Christian Conservative Candidate anyway they can. They do this by using an outdated stereotype, and representing Conservative Christians as being “other”, rustics, rubes, unsophisticated, frozen in time from a bygone era.

But that’s simply isn’t the case, Christianity has permeated our modern culture, the media just down plays the influence.

REM “Everybody Hurts” Above, an evangelist drops pamphlets, with the texts, “Lead me to the rock that is higher than I” (Psalm 61:2), and “They that sow in tears shall reap in joy” (Psalm 126.5).

Collective Soul, Live, Creed, BB King “When Love Comes To Town”…..
The Texas Influence The Doobie Brothers “Jesus is just alright with me” ZZTop “Jesus Just left Chicago”

It’s there waiting to be tapped into, but it means pushing back against the MSM narrative, and not letting them shape Rick Perry’s brand as dated and archaic.

I believe it was Christopher Hitchens that stated he found Rick Perry’s unashamedly Christian Conservative brand refreshing? Perry’s not down playing his faith while he runs for President.

There are movies too “What Dreams May Come” Narnia, “We’re No Angels” the last one starred Sean Penn…..so there’s that cross over LOL!

The Media wants to pretend that the U.S. is becoming a more secular country, when in fact it’s just some in the corporate media that is becoming more secular and pushing the left’s agenda. That’s the perception they want all of us to buy into. Saying something enough times will make it finally true.

On the other hand, I understand there is a new tv show called Little Mosque on the Prairie, the media is raving about, go figure….some religions are more equal than other religions?

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM

maybe Perry is ont to something -some writers on HA give me “gas”

Bullhead on December 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM

stacman on December 8, 2011 at 12:45 PM

If the alternative is to have a less than capable (R) president that turns the voters off the (R) brand, turning the congress and white house back over to the Democrats in short order, you are right, I will be content to let Obama continue to destroy the (D) brand name while not being able to accomplish much of his own goals because he has divided government previnting big bills from occuring.

astonerii on December 8, 2011 at 1:09 PM

And some of you actually take Perry seriously?
– Flip flopping and big government Romney
– Flip flopping and skirt chasing Gingrich
– Bought and paid for Perry
It sucks to be you.
popularpeoplesfront on December 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I would argue that it sucks to be anyone who employs the term “neoconservative”.

kuro_shogun on December 8, 2011 at 1:11 PM

this is quite possibly the funniest story headline of the month. Allah, your humor slays me – just slays me.

dboley on December 8, 2011 at 1:11 PM

stacman on December 8, 2011 at 12:45 PM

That’s what many of us have been telling a few here ever since this campaign started. It seems to me that this election there has been much more sniping towards each others candidate on HA. I’ve been a commenter here since before the last Presidential election, but I don’t post here much anymore because some of the haters have really turned me off. Most on here are really nice though, and interesting to chat or debate with. You’re new here right? Welcome to HA!

Susanboo on December 8, 2011 at 1:18 PM

This Rick Penny guy is hilarious.

pedestrian on December 8, 2011 at 1:38 PM

They will try to make Perry look like “W” or worse.

Nah – Perry’s doing a bang up job at looking like a fool all by himself without anyone’s help. They (the MSM) doesn’t even need to pay off women to come at him with unprovable accusations… what does that tell you?

glidingone on December 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM

astonerii on December 8, 2011 at 1:09 PM

That’s an interesting idea: leaving Obama in the White House, rather than replacing him with a RINO, may save the conservative brand. I hadn’t thought of it that way before.

But what about Obamacare? We may be headed for something worse than a ‘double-dip recession’ if that bill is not repealed. And to do that, we need a Republican in the White House. Which is more important to us as conservatives? Stopping RINOs, or repealing Obamacare?

I don’t particularly like Mr.Vaccinate-Your-Kids-For-STDs-Perry, but I think I’d support him to repeal Obamacare…

Nephew Sam on December 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM

ObamaCare has to go. Alas I dont believe any of the current candidates will get rid of it.

dogsoldier on December 8, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Nephew Sam -

Why not go for Michelle Bachmann then? She’ll repeal the health care law and is steadfast against the government mandating that your children and yourself be injected with the latest drug lobby chemicals that the government decides that you must have.

Just interested as to why Perry is the choice given the two main concerns detailed.

glidingone on December 8, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Congrats?

Esthier on December 8, 2011 at 3:09 PM

They will try to make Perry look like “W” or worse.

glidingone on December 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM

What it tells me is that you are dense/dumb enough to fall for the “W is dumb” meme, as well as the “Perry is dumb” meme.

But I guess you must be thinking Obama is the smartest President we’ve ever had, right?

TheRightMan on December 8, 2011 at 3:10 PM

glidingone on December 8, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Oh, yes! I think Michelle Bachmann is a solid, truly conservative candidate. If I could pick a nominee, I would probably just choose her straight away.

I was referring to the possibility of acquiring a candidate with less conservative credentials… I think I would still vote for one in the general election to repeal the health care law.

Nephew Sam on December 8, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Friendly fire TheRightMan…

No.. I didn’t write that now did I? That’s a quote from someone else’s comment…

My point was that Perry’s failure to communicate in depth and in a fluid manner already plays into the appearance that he is not an informed, intelligent individual. Therefore it is not necessary to levy the normal slanders, false accusations etc… that’s how poorly he is doing…

And yes, public sentiment driven by years of propaganda by the media is that former president George W Bush was an unintelligent person – like it or not, being from Texas etc… that is something that Perry has to deal with and thusfar, he has not managed to distance himself from that notion.

Why would I think that Obama is a smart president? He and his administration have been effective to be certain – it is brilliant to go outside of the congress and have his own socialist minds in charge of the EPA, and other agencies that are not accountable to voters. He wants to be King without restriction and that’s what his ignorant fools of supporters think they want too…

glidingone on December 8, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Nephew Sam on December 8, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Ah – I’m with you now – agreed.

Newt did say that he would take it out immediately, Romney says he will as well (but I cannot trust that man who implements his own failed healthcare plan in his state and supports it still….)

Interesting options that are chosen for us voters…

glidingone on December 8, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Nathan NY

The better observation is why was he even referencing a meaningless internet poll to begin with? Because his campaign is desperate.

That’s how he rolls :)

Dr. Evil

And that’s why he’s losing. Maybe he should roll a different way.

Dr. Evil

All the more reason NOT to make it even easier for them to do this. Rick Perry is in the position he is in because of Rick Perry, not because of the media. Like it or not, the “dumb” label is going to stick better to him than others at this point.

Right now poseurs are parroting the MSM’s meme Perry’s dumb.

Give me a break. Most people here don’t think he’s dumb. But the reality is he has come across that way, and folks aren’t willing to chance a seemingly drunk Perry having a brain fart on national television during a debate with Obama, which would hand him the election on a silver platter. Perry has had a chance to make his case for why he should get the nomination, and so far he has failed miserably. That’s on him. It’s not the media that has been stumbling and stuttering almost incoherently in debate after debate, it’s been Perry. Like it or not, impressions matter,and right now, the impressions many voters have of Perry is not too good. Do you really think voters are going to replace Obama with a guy who is likely to forget his own name? Uhhhh, that would be no.

xblade on December 8, 2011 at 4:33 PM

How about “classical gas?”

Dr. Demento on December 8, 2011 at 4:45 PM

“My point was that Perry’s failure to communicate in depth and in a fluid manner already plays into the appearance that he is not an informed, intelligent individual.”

Yeah, gliding1, I would vote for the glib guy with an inconsistent record too, y’know to change the status quo rather than a oh-my-God Texas Governor with malapropisms and a solid record of pro-business & pro jobs. Wow, some folks can’t think for themselves and have to check a poll or listen to msm rotation to see where e’rybody’s at. Wow, that’ll change things for the better!

Based on your premise, Thomas Jefferson should never have been President, and for us Christians, Moses should NOT have been chosen by God to deliver the 10. Both considered themselves inarticulate and awkward as a spokesperson~

sunshinek67 on December 8, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Sunshine… none of which makes my point any less true.

Your comments detail the sorry state of individuals thinking ability/process when it comes to their criteria for politicians in this country – unless this changes overnight… that is still something that Perry must overcome. And he could do so, I am sure but as of now, I personally have not seen it – my opinion only.

I would take issue with your characterization of Thomas Jefferson – clearly he knew what he was talking about and detailed it at length and in-depth. Whereas Perry seems shallow with his one liners about jobs in Texas (which he had nothing to do with other than staying out of their way as government does not create jobs in the private sector – it merely decides if it will regulate them to a lower profit if any or not).

Did you watch Perry on Huckabee December 3rd? He was all about avoiding the constitution and the congress with executive orders until they pointed out that would not be constitutional… and then he went into energy for some unknown reason?

glidingone on December 8, 2011 at 5:42 PM

“Perry stumbled] slightly when Cuccinelli challenged him on the assertion that an executive order would effectively repeal health care reform. “The executive order obviously gives you that authority [to repeal the law],” he told Cuccinelli. … Cuccinelli shot back: “I just want to be real clear to make sure I understand this: You are taking the position that you can stop the implementation of a law passed by Congress, signed by the president, with an executive order?” Perry walked his comments back, saying an executive order could stop “parts” of the health care law”

- lack of depth and clarity.

glidingone on December 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM

bitsy on December 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM

From your keyboard to God’s ear ;)

Aslans Girl on December 8, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Dr. Evil

Right now poseurs are parroting the MSM’s meme Perry’s dumb.

xblade on December 8, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Well said. Every Republican has a target on them and it’s just a matter of how easy it is for the media to hit that target in voter’s minds.

glidingone on December 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Seriously. Have you seen that guy on his Hog? Perry rides, too… I’ve been hoping West becomes the VP even before he won his House seat, LOL!

Aslans Girl on December 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM

well oh gliding1, funny you should mention “criteria” for choosing a candidate. Spoke about just that yesterday on RS. Huh, “sorry state” for supporting substance over style? Wow. Obviously you have front row seats to this season’s version of American Political Idol. Shallow, superficial criteria chose our last “Master Debater” as Commander In Chief. I do wish folks would stop referring to Newter as this, perverse~

sunshinek67 on December 8, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Oh dear, my fist typo on HA…Newt, it’s Newt.

sunshinek67 on December 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Sunshine – you are taking what I wrote differently than I intended.

about which I agreed with you…

Your comments – as in your commentary about folks who can’t think for themselves etc…

Not that your comments are sorry/pathetic etc… I did not communicate my point well – seems that Perry and I have that in common =)

glidingone on December 8, 2011 at 6:32 PM

G-1, i love you. all is well~

sunshinek67 on December 8, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Hot Gas? LMAO!

What do they say about an ill wind? ;o)

DannoJyd on December 8, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Nephew Sam on December 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM

I’m not so hot on Perry right now either. I too do not like him for that stance, as well as the Dream act and his seemingly intransigent need to pander to illegal aliens over those of his own citizens. But what bothers me most about him is that I have yet to ever see him stand pat on a solid conservative position without being pushed to the left afterwards.

As for Obamacare, I do not think it gets past the Supreme Court that will be hearing it this coming spring and answering the question of constitutionality in the fall right before the election. So, if the SCOTUS says the individual mandate is constitutional, this country’s freedom is over that instant and you can expect to see a civil war in the next ten years. If they deem it unconstitutional, the whole law will need to be vacated, as it cannot stand without the mandate. So, it really does not matter. On one side, if congress can force us to buy products and services, our freedom is over and I do not see us lasting as a nation after that point, on the other the law is gone and we do not need an (R) president to get rid of it.

astonerii on December 8, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Nathan NY on December 8, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Well, not all of us. And welcome. I see you have a good head on your shoulders – could use more of that around here.

capitalist piglet on December 8, 2011 at 8:00 PM

astonerii on December 8, 2011 at 7:56 PM

NAILED it!

markmiclette on December 8, 2011 at 9:41 PM

xblade on December 8, 2011 at 4:33 PM glidingone on December 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Right it’s just Perry, no one else has made any gaffes or missteps in their campaigns. He’s the only one. NO he’s the only one constantly being made the example of in the Media, because he’s the competitive conservative with a record to run on.

Herman Cain quoted Pokeman when he suspended his campaign so give me a break with Perry’s the only one who’s had issues. Herman Cain was the front runner, and he has never held public office. But Perry should just pack it in….but hey you know Santorum said, Same Sex marriage is just like bestiality. Michelle “Tardasil” Bachmann, let’s wish Elvis Presley a happy birthday on the aniversary of his death. Ron Paul, it’s alright for Iran to get nukes. Mitt Romney: ‘I’m Running For Office for Pete’s Sake, I Can’t Have Illegals working for me” Newt Gingrich Fannie Mae paid me for my services as a historian. Jon Huntsman, I believe in Evolution and AGW. The republican party is seen as the anti science party.

But yeah the Candidate with the GREAT record to run on Rick Perry, Obama has none. Perry is the dope, because the media is using every opportunity to jump on anything he says blow it up out of all proportion and hype it, all the lemmings lap it up. Does anyone understand media manipulation? Trash talking and tearing down republican candidates, trying to keep republicans from ginning up their base? trying to keep the republican voters morale low. How about Obama, what about those 57 states? What about the weekly post Ed puts up of Obamateurism of the Day, and once a week for a vote? Yeah Obama is a genius at speaking, well as long as TOTUS is loaded, and turned on anyway.

The criticism is trifling, instead of playing into the media manipulation perhaps conservatives should start digging in, and defend the republican candidates. If Ronald Reagan was alive today, his campaign would have been savaged by his own party.

I will make this note about Perry, and his treatment by the media, it’s Perry’s brand, he needs to be smart about making his brand more appealing to American voters.

I remember when Sarah Palin made her debut. Sarah Palin “Do you know the difference between a Hockey Mom and Pit Bull?” Answer: Lipstick. There is one thing Palin understands better than many it’s BRANDING and the importance.

Dr Evil on December 8, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Yeah, he should drop out because he called this site Hot Gas.
But if he spent all of his time on the conservative blog sites, he wouldn’t be governor of the state with the best jobs record in the entire country. He’d be…well, you.

DRayRaven on December 7, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Nice straw man, and nice ad hominem. Two in one, not bad.

ncconservative on December 8, 2011 at 10:29 PM

ncconservative – do us all a favor and drop out of the race for every.

Progressives like you make the conservatives look bad.

bzip on December 7, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Progressive? Hardly. In fact, far from it. Conservative to the core, but more in the mold of Marco Rubio, Pat Toomey, Mike Lee, Rand Paul, Bob McDonnell, Bobby Jindal, etc…I’d take any of these guys over the candidates we have now. Unfortunately I’ll have to settle for the most consistent conservative who gives us more than just applause lines. That would be Santorum, Huntsman, Paul (not necessarily in that order), and I’m going to give Bachman a second look. Perry lost me on his excessive pandering, incendiary rhetoric, pattern of gaffes, and immigration. Not only was his in-state tuition for illegals bill reprehensible, but he also implied I was a racist and called me heartless for opposing it. Further, the thought that I would pay more for a college education at a Texas university than an illegal immigrant would absolutely infuriates me. His Gardasil EO is also very disturbing. We want to get rid of that type of corporate cronyism, not replace it. Newt and Romney have been on both sides of way too many issues, making it difficult to trust them; and neither can legitimately challenge Obama on the mandate in ObamaCare. So there, I’m no progressive.

ncconservative on December 8, 2011 at 10:58 PM

SC.Charlie on December 8, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I can see how someone might see the ad that way, but that’s now how I saw it. My take: Perry was comparing the treatment of gays by the administration (and our secretary of state!) with the treatment of Christians. One group is gaining in respect and support, and one is losing respect and support. It doesn’t seem right to me.

I’m not sure what Perry’s views are on DADT – he may want to return to it. Personally, I thought it was working well. But now that it’s been changed, I don’t want to revisit it. That is, as long as gays are treated like everyone else in the military, and don’t get special privileges.

NbyNW on December 8, 2011 at 11:26 PM

He may be gaffetastic, but I still like him!

poljunkie51 on December 8, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Me too :)

sunshinek67 on December 8, 2011 at 11:53 PM

capitalist piglet on December 8, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Thanks for you being here as well!

Nathan NY on December 9, 2011 at 12:12 AM