Quotes of the day

posted at 10:55 pm on December 7, 2011 by Allahpundit

“At the end of Gingrich’s first year as House speaker, his endless, nutty pronunciamentos — in addition to his plan to entrust Republicans’ legislative agenda to an old couple whose living room VCR continuously flashed ’12:00′ — had driven his public approval numbers into the dirt…

“It’s true that the liberal media attack Republicans unfairly. But that’s a fact to be dealt with, not ignored by nominating a candidate who keeps giving the media so much to work with.

“Gingrich has spent his years since then having an affair, divorcing his second wife and making money by being the consummate Washington insider — trading on access, taking $1.6 million from Freddie Mac, and palling around with Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, Nancy Pelosi and Al Sharpton…

“Newt Gingrich is the ‘anti-Establishment’ candidate only if ‘the Establishment’ is defined as ‘anyone who remembers what happened the day before yesterday.’”

***

“Even as he surges ahead in the polls, Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich is struggling to get out from under a mountain of debt from luxury jets and other pricey expenses racked up in the early weeks of his campaign.

“Creditors say Gingrich has begun paying back nearly $1.2 million in bills he owed at the end of September, and his spokesman says most will be taken care of by the end of the year. Other debts — including $42,000 owed to Gingrich himself for the campaign’s use of a mailing list — have already been paid, ahead of those owed to other vendors, according to aides and disclosure records…

“Gingrich’s financial health could prove crucial in the coming weeks as he attempts to hold on to his sudden lead over Romney and other Republican candidates in many state and national polls. Romney reported raising $32 million through September — more than 10 times the amount Gingrich reported — allowing him to easily fund major advertisements and organizing efforts for early contests in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.”

***

“Mr. Gingrich has little or no campaign organization in Iowa and most other states. He didn’t file a complete slate of New Hampshire delegates and alternates. He is the only candidate who didn’t qualify for the Missouri primary, and on Wednesday he failed to present enough signatures to get on the ballot in Ohio. Redistricting squabbles may lead the legislature to move the primary to a later date and re-open filing, but it’s still embarrassing to be so poorly organized.

Organization truly matters, especially in low-turnout caucuses. Four years ago, for example, 118,917 Republicans turned out in Iowa—and only 424 votes separated the third- and fourth-place finishers. The total turnout was considerably less than the 229,732 Iowans who voted in the GOP primary for governor two years later. Being organized in all 99 Iowa counties means more people can be dragged to caucus meetings who might otherwise stay home on a wintery eve, believing their vote doesn’t matter.”

***

“‘I think Romney is going to win,’ a top Romney adviser said. ‘I can’t tell you exactly when he’s going to win or how he’s going to win.’

“Romney campaign has ‘a pretty good oppo package’ on Gingrich and is prepared to go nuclear, said a top GOP consultant familiar with the campaign.

“Many who know him best remain skeptical that Gingrich will have the discipline to avoid self-immolation.

“‘He’s a little bit like charcoal briquettes in the backyard,’ said Rich Galen, who was an aide to Gingrich on and off between 1982 and 1998. ‘When you first light them, there’s a lot of smoke and fire and a lot of stuff going on. But you can’t cook a steak on that.’”

***

“Something similar is happening with Gingrich and the image of the Master Debater. People see Gingrich handle himself well in eight-way debates (an easy task when no other candidate has even bothered criticizing you all year because you seemed so irrelevant), and they imagine that he’s the one to take the fight to Obama. Suddenly it doesn’t matter that he has always been not only anti-conservative on cap-and-trade, but has lied about what his position was. Suddenly it doesn’t matter that he said the profiteers at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac should be criminally investigated even though he was one of the profiteers — and that he, again, apparently has been prevaricating about what he did for Freddie. Suddenly it doesn’t matter that he has always been wrong on a health-care mandate, wrong on ethanol for all the years he’s been paid to be wrong on ethanol, wrong on entitlements and on Paul Ryan’s budget, wrong on amnesty for illegal immigrants, wrong as wrong could be on ethical issues and behavior aplenty, wrong on the TARP bailouts, wrong on liberal candidate Dede Scozzafava, wrong in the past on the Fairness Doctrine, wrong on leadership, weak at actual negotiating (actually, ‘melting’) against Bill Clinton, weak at actually running a government, and about as personally trustworthy as Joe Isuzu: He’s gonna pummel Obama, yesiree, and then all will be well!…

“The important thing is this: Even if Gingrich’s debating invincibility weren’t an utter myth, the notion that debates next fall will be tremendously important is a myth, and a much bigger one. The deal is this: General-election presidential debates rarely make a big difference. What makes a bigger difference is unpaid (establishment) media (Gingrich will get crushed), organization (Gingrich will get crushed), paid media (Obama’s $800 million campaign will crush him), and the voters’ sense of whether they would mind seeing and hearing the candidate on their TV screens for the next four years (not bloody likely, based on the Gingrich persona’s long-established propensity to wear out its welcome and become grating after a few months).”

***

“But when you’ve cheated on your first wife with your second and you’ve cheated on your second wife with your third, and your policy positions in the past decade have been all over the place, how do I first know you won’t cheat on me politically and how do I reconcile my desire for a President my kids can respect with your life?

“I feel guilty for feeling this way, but I just don’t know that I can support him in the primary. Over Romney? Sure. Newt won’t be nearly as devastating down ballot as Romney if things go wrong for the GOP. But over Bachmann, Huntsman, and Perry in alphabetical order?…

“But if Perry is not ready, I have to say I may have to seriously reconsider saying I’d never, ever, never vote for Jon Huntsman. He is more consistently conservative than either Newt or Romney, more pro-life than either, and a far more competent executive than either. He and Perry also are very real and sincere family men. Jon Huntsman clearly adores his family and I have concluded, despite my own misgivings about him, that he would govern more consistently to the right of Mitt Romney than even his campaign team would have us believe.”

***

“Gingrich has 30 years of history with most Washington pols, much of it bad blood – remember the attempted coup? Still, few are likely to go so overtly at Gingrich as Coburn. Instead, they’ll take the tried and true Washington path: anonymously leak every damaging and embarrassing story the Speaker has ever been even remotely involved in (see Politico story above). The question is this: Given his momentum with primary voters, will anything stick at this point? ‘A tough effort to push Romney through could backfire,’ says Norm Ornstein, a scholar at the conservative American Enterprise Institute. ‘The ‘establishment’ — it has been co-opted by the insurgent forces it tried to co-opt in 2010 — may fall back on plan B: try to keep anyone from winning enough delegates to claim a majority and take it to the convention to get [former Florida Governor] Jeb Bush or [former Indiana Governor] Mitch Daniels.’”

***

***

“He spent [1998] pre-emptively surrendering on anything of legislative consequence, but then, feeling bad at having abandoned another two or three of his ‘Fourteen Steps to Renewing American Civilisation’, he’d go on television and snarl at everybody in sight. . . . For Republicans it was the worst of all worlds: a lily-livered ninny whom everyone thinks is a ferocious right-wing bastard.

“That’s how it would go this time round. We’d wind up with a cross between Teddy Roosevelt and Alvin Tofler who canoodled on the sofa with Nancy Pelosi demanding Big Government climate-change conventional-wisdom punitive liberalism just as the rest of the planet was finally getting off the bandwagon . . . but the media would still insist on dusting off their 1994 ‘The Gingrich Who Stole Christmas’ graphics.”

Via the Daily Caller.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

First.
Timing

Electrongod on December 7, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Hmmmmm

Electrongod on December 7, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Second! Since I joined in kinda late today, I’m going to use this thread to re-introduce myself:

I’m a 19 year old budding politician currently studying political science, economics, and public policy at SMU in Dallas. Raised in MA (Barney’s district actually, upset I won’t be given the chance to run against him in 6 years!), I had to leave as soon as I could! I am down the line conservative, and also a vegan, which makes for some interesting conversation. I was a big supporter of Sarah Palin and have been relatively active on C4P under the name VeganPalinista. I started a blog over the summer called Students for McCotter, and as a result of that blog was offered a job on his campaign a day before he dropped out. I’ve been lurking HotAir since January 2009, and its been my homepage for 90% of that time. I’m looking forward to being a very active commenter here!

I am currently supporting Newt Gingrich, although if/when he flames out my support goes to Perry. Being from MA, I could never in a million years vote for Romney, so other than Ron Paul or Gary Johnson, all other candidates rate higher for me than Romney.

Gingrich>Perry>Santorum>Huntsman>Bachmann>Romney>Paul>Johnson is how I’d rank them right now.

vegconservative on December 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Then I will ignore your statement…right after this statement.

Electrongod on December 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I wish the Romney Republicans were as tough on Obama in ’08 as they are on Gingrich now. :-(

Punchenko on December 7, 2011 at 11:00 PM

As far as the topic of this thread, I’m going to repost something I wrote in the Steve King thread:

Okay sure, Gingrich isn’t a great conservative. BUT he has balanced four federal budgets, reformed two entitlements in a conservative manner, and did so with a Democrat in the White House. We aren’t looking for a conservative alternative, we’re looking for someone who will FIGHT for conservative ideals even when compromising, and Romney (I say as an MA voter who left that hellhole to go to school in Texas) seems to think that compromise means selling out. Gingrich doesn’t seem to have that tendency.

vegconservative on December 7, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Second!…
vegconservative on December 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Timing…

vegconservative on December 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Welcome aboard.

Electrongod on December 7, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Wait…so you’re implying that Ann Coulter and Karl Rove aren’t going to endorse Gingrich??? What, what, what?? Didn’t Jennifer Rubin churn out any copy today?

cynccook on December 7, 2011 at 11:01 PM

First.
Timing

Electrongod on December 7, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Sorry. Bish is ALWAYS first.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 7, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Not First!

Flora Duh on December 7, 2011 at 11:01 PM

How soon we forget. It looks like anyone who expresses doubt about his ability to run a disciplined campaign is shouted down.

celticdefender on December 7, 2011 at 11:01 PM

It won’t be in 2012.

Schadenfreude on December 7, 2011 at 11:02 PM

The choice seems to be clear (not easy).

Pick Newt and get someone that is a great communicator, comes across much more intelligent and in-command than his future opponent Obama; or, be a purist and get behind Michele Bachmann, Ron Paul, or Rick Santorum.

I don’t see the appeal for Romney or Perry – the two “big dogs” in the race.

aryeung on December 7, 2011 at 11:02 PM

=============================

Ugh…and America,er,Lady Liberty is in a dire need of
a Leader!

canopfor on December 7, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Newt Gingrich is the “anti-Establishment” candidate only if “the Establishment” is defined as “anyone who remembers what happened the day before yesterday.”

THIS.

nswider on December 7, 2011 at 11:03 PM

The news media pundits don’t know what they are getting into here. They have chosen sides, and if the voters reject Obama and the democrats, those same voters will be rejecting the media at the same time.

Then what will the media do? Double down like Obama and the democrats? Go even harder left.

If Obama wins, the media will have sold their soul to the devil, and there is no way out of that contract. There is no Daniel Webster who can bargain you out of that deal.

Skandia Recluse on December 7, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Sorry. Bish is ALWAYS first.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 7, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Ugggg!
You are so correct.
Sorry Bishop.

Electrongod on December 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Thanks for opening registration.

Romney/Jindal

freshface on December 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM

vegconservative on December 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Don’t become a politician, man. It’s the dark side. Being a political consultant/campaign manager is the way to go. Gives you at least a fighting chance of keeping your soul.

Good Solid B-Plus on December 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Do I get any Newbie cred for not disrupting Electrongod so that he/she could attempt to get a record? I blame Veg!

Midwestprincesse on December 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Punchenko on December 7, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Just wait until we have a nominee – who ever they are, it’ll be the Great Great Grandmother of Scat Storms…

Chip on December 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM

No Doubt…

Seven Percent Solution on December 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM

The Great Washington Freakout of 2011.

Robert_Paulson on December 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Not First!

Flora Duh on December 7, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Watch out for jaibones. He thinks that those who yell ‘firsties’ should get the banhammer.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM

This helps Newt. He thrives on personal attacks. Or maybe a lot of people on hotair hadn’t noticed that yet.

But if y’all want an alternative to the Salamander, rope Palin and drag her back. Tie her to the Cain Train and we’ve got ourselves a winning ticket.

Right?

platypus on December 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Timing

Electrongod on December 7, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Timing? Here’s the timing. Newt’s the frontrunner, and he’s got a lot of problems that should make him anathema to conservatives. Unfortunately for those of us who like to think things through, the well is so completely poisoned that the True Conservatives would nominate Barack Obama himself if he pretended to run to Mitt Romney’s right.

KingGold on December 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Don’t let Ann Coulter, Peggy Noonan, Kearsten Powers or Althouse name your candidate.

Schadenfreude on December 7, 2011 at 11:07 PM

KingGold on December 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM

I guess it’s a good thing Barack Obama has always been so open about his far-left views.

aryeung on December 7, 2011 at 11:07 PM

From the Coulter hit piece:

Incidentally, this was around the same time the purportedly pro-abortion Mitt Romney, as a Mormon elder, was pressuring a woman who wanted to abort her child to continue the pregnancy and give up the baby for adoption

…?

Punchenko on December 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM

..the well is so completely poisoned that the True Conservatives would nominate Barack Obama himself if he pretended to run to Mitt Romney’s right.

KingGold on December 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Whoa there…
The true conservatives in my neck of the woods spit when the word Barack is mentioned..or read.

Electrongod on December 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM

You will not find it difficult to prove that battles, campaigns, and even wars have been won or lost primarily because of logistics. – General Dwight D. Eisenhower

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on December 7, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Right?

platypus on December 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Cain is an idiot. I will go with Dr Evil (Newt) who can at least spell Libya.

sharrukin on December 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM

This is the second “doubt” QOD.

andy85719 on December 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM

vegconservative on December 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on December 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM

I intend to be one of the few good ones out there =). Jim DeMint is my favorite senator, does that give you a good idea of the kind of politician I’d like to be? Besides, being a consultant/campaign manager makes you likely to do exactly the kind of dirty tricks and negativity that makes politics such a dirty business.

vegconservative on December 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Whoever the nominee is, the days of outsourcing the protection of our freedoms is over.

Whoever the nominee is, we will have to get up in their grill constantly, because that power corrupts a person, no matter who it is.

But whoever the nominee is, we’d better get behind them.

beatcanvas on December 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Yeah, I’ve noticed that.

Flora Duh on December 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM

I don’t understand all the “enthusiasm” for Newt. I get how in this field, many prefer him, but its still turd sandwich vs giant douche. Maybe Newt has a few extra olives in there, but I don’t get how people are ignoring the huge turd.

Tacitus on December 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Punchenko on December 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Romney’s religion is, apparently, only a positive.

aryeung on December 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Not First!

Flora Duh on December 7, 2011 at 11:01 PM

You get your first…

… +7%!

Well done, no more “noobie” status for you…!

Seven Percent Solution on December 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Schadenfreude on December 7, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Don’t let Rush Limbaugh or Erick Erickson name your candidate either. You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think each of those men has an agenda of his own, just as selfish and personal as the individuals you’ve already named.

KingGold on December 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Ann Coulter has lost her marbles.

andy85719 on December 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Throughout the struggle, it was in his logistic inability to maintain his armies in the field that the enemy’s fatal weakness lay. Courage his forces had in full measure, but courage was not enough. Reinforcements failed to arrive, weapons, ammunition and food alike ran short, and the dearth of fuel caused their powers of tactical mobility to dwindle to the vanishing point. In the last stages of the campaign they could do little more than wait for the Allied advance to sweep over them. – Dwight D. Eisenhower

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on December 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Punchenko on December 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM

When Romney was a Bishop, not an Elder, Coulter is confused there. One of the women in the church was wanting to have an abortion, Romney was upset and counseled her against having one. She told this story, I believe it was to the NYT, who was writing about Romneys “women problem” in an article about a month ago that came out.

nswider on December 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Punchenko on December 7, 2011 at 11:00 PM

You don’t like Romney for all the reasons you ignore about Gingrich. Take off the “DEBATE SLAM OBAMAH” blinders and look at the man for what he is. There’s plenty of alternatives if you don’t think Romney’s conservative enough – Bachmann, Rick + Rick, even Cain who’s biggest sin was allegedly doing something Newt’s admittedly done multiple times.

Ruiner on December 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM

I guess it comes down to whether you think Newt is U.S. Grant or Joe Hooker.

Robert_Paulson on December 7, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Romney’s religion is, apparently, only a positive.

aryeung on December 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM

So he was personally pro-life (in Coulter’s twisted little world) and publicly pro-choice for shameless political gain? Then Romney switched again and became pro-life — late in life — so that he could run for POTUS? Oh, and I am suppose to be afraid of the Tofflers when Mitt had John Holdren advising him? Is Coulter completely nuts and shameless now? Has her apple martini been spiked by Rove & Co.?

Punchenko on December 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM

platypus on December 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Like he “thrived” on personal attacks when he was stepping down as speaker?

Ruiner on December 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM

KingGold on December 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Has Rush been writing hit pieces about Romney now?

At any rate, you have a point. If we push the pundits aside for the moment, who is the top candidate?

aryeung on December 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Unfortunately for those of us who like to think things through, the well is so completely poisoned…

KingGold on December 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Well those of us who are incapable of rational thought still don’t like Romney, and that is why every candidate imaginable has risen in the polls at one time or another.

We know who Romney is… and we reject him.

sharrukin on December 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM

vegconservative on December 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM

You forgot the wish list…

West, Stache, Anyone else but those in your line….

upinak on December 7, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Seven Percent Solution on December 7, 2011 at 11:04

Talk Talk’s version is good too.

50sGuy on December 7, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Well done, no more “noobie” status for you…!

Seven Percent Solution on December 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Thank you kindly. I humbly accept the honor of being bestowed with a +7%! badge.

Flora Duh on December 7, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Ruiner on December 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Balanced budget, welfare reform, tax cuts, can take on the media with a smile, establishment hates him… do I need to go on?

Punchenko on December 7, 2011 at 11:15 PM

When approaching D.C.: “You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.”

Electrongod on December 7, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Newt…for now…

As a side, thanks to Ed and AP for Open Reg today…been lurking here daily for 4 yrs. and pounced on the opportunity…

Special hat tips to Bish, MadCon, Dire, Cindy, Lorien, Ted, Dire, KJ, KeyWest, AJ, Amos, Schade, SGent, Honda and so many more of you who have been the stalwarts of this site..your intellect and insight have been top shelf…best of all, if laughter is the best medicine, you have extended my life by a decade…

God bless…from the…

hillsoftx on December 7, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Punchenko on December 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM

I have my own outlandish theory about Coulter. She’s so shocked by how weak the field is that she’s betting Newt will get the nod, but not win. Safer for her to then get behind Mitt and give the “I told you so” speech after Newt loses.

Totally unfounded theory, of course.

aryeung on December 7, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Whoa there…

Electrongod on December 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM

And? As things currently stand, True Conservatives are set to nominate a man who was for cap-and-trade and other carbon trading schemes, has yet to mention a problem that he hasn’t approached with some sort of big-government “solution,” and has a personal life we’d regularly deride if he had a (D) after his name.

Note: I’m not saying Romney’s not a RINO. But everyone would be advised that Not Romney != Not RINO.

KingGold on December 7, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Ruiner on December 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Our Komrade is a hack. AKA paid “mouth”. Ignore it.

upinak on December 7, 2011 at 11:17 PM

No Doubt…

Seven Percent Solution on December 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Seven Percent Solution:Excellent:)

canopfor on December 7, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Folks want a fighter

No squishes allowed

cmsinaz on December 7, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Punchenko on December 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Yep. Doesn’t that make you like him more!?! He’s all shrewd and calculating like that. Isn’t that what you call presidential timbre?

cynccook on December 7, 2011 at 11:17 PM

WHAT EVER ! !

BLA BLA BLA ! !

Love ya Mark but you sound like a perfectionist, like Colture, like Ingraham, etc..

we need to get over all this perfection crap and get behind someone, anyone, who can kick the pants out of obama in debates and charm the media.

Reagan was really bad on some issues that might make you wonder.. but now..

we all have to pretend were political geenies who can summon this perfect conservative GOD.

Get over it!

Lets just get OBAMA out the hell the White Home… AND then we can quible about the next conservative prez.. deal?

just think long term..

amend2 on December 7, 2011 at 11:18 PM

With this whole proportional distribution of delegates, Newt can’t go very far. Romney, Perry (maybe, depending on what his final quarter fundraising numbers look like), Paul, and Huntsman (with the help of Daddy Huntsman) will be able to claw for every last delegate state after state.

Let’s say Newt wins Iowa, which looks fairly probable as is. That’ll get him a nice influx of cash, but all the cash in the world isn’t going to buy him last minute organizational support. With no incentive to drop out, everyone else goes about their business collecting delegates here and there like they’re rings in a Sonic videogame. What if Huntsman sweeps the NE and decides to team up with say Rick Perry, who splits the south with Newt? I think the likelihood of a Huntsman/Perry pairing is a lot higher than Newt teaming up with anybody else in the running right now.

Almost makes you feel sorry for T-Paw dropping out so soon, money issues and all.

Hostile Gospel on December 7, 2011 at 11:18 PM

We know who Romney is… and we reject him.

sharrukin on December 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM

And also his hair is threatening me through my dreams. garlglellgrglarle gack

cynccook on December 7, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Gingrich has more baggage than Imelda Marcos had shoes.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on December 7, 2011 at 11:20 PM

And also his hair is threatening me through my dreams. garlglellgrglarle gack

cynccook on December 7, 2011 at 11:19 PM

You sure it isn’t a combo of Blago, Silky Pony and Romney?

upinak on December 7, 2011 at 11:20 PM

vegconservative on December 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM

You forgot the wish list…

West, Stache, Anyone else but those in your line….

upinak on December 7, 2011 at 11:15 PM

My wish list? Okay, here goes:

Sarah Palin, Jim DeMint, Mitch Daniels (So there would at least be one establishment moderate guy I could consider), Paul Ryan… And Tim Pawlenty and Thaddeus McCotter both dropped out way too early. Both could be doing pretty darn well right now.

vegconservative on December 7, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Gingrich has more baggage than Imelda Marcos had shoes.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on December 7, 2011 at 11:20 PM

LMFAO!

upinak on December 7, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Punchenko on December 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Romney has always been personally pro life. A childhood friend of his died in a botched abortion in the early 60′s, from that point on he made the decision that he shouldnt impose his personal beliefs on others. So even though he didnt agree with the choice of abortion, he felt it wasnt his place to push his beliefs on others. That changed with the stem cell debate and he was being pressured in Mass to legalize embryonic stem cell research. At that point he realized that the govt did have a role in protecting life, it was kind of an Epiphany for him and he became publicly pro life from that point on. Sometimes we make mistakes, he should have always been publicly on the side of life, he learned and grew. Thats what happens in life sometimes. The real story on Romney, for anyone bothering to actually look into who he is besides the HotAir caricatures, is very interesting and complex.

nswider on December 7, 2011 at 11:20 PM

KingGold on December 7, 2011 at 11:16 PM

As Mark Levin says:
I would vote for an Orange Juice can over Obama.
Yesterday Obama made it clear who he was…we already knew..of course.
Now it’s on record.
Anyone but Obama….even if he is on his forth wife.
We as a Country can survive this.

Electrongod on December 7, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Has Rush been writing hit pieces about Romney now?

aryeung on December 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Not precisely. But he seems awfully fond lately of raising specters of “the establishment Republican media” and their alleged conspiracy against anyone not named Romney. It’s getting rather boring by this point, IMO.

So far, he’s accused “establishment conservatives” of destroying (in order) Bachmann, Perry, and Cain. All of whom were ruined by their own actions, I hasten to add.

KingGold on December 7, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Isn’t that what you call presidential timbre?

cynccook on December 7, 2011 at 11:17 PM

I have lost a lot of respect for “conservative” commentators pushing Romney.

Punchenko on December 7, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Ann Coulter has a very eye-opening article. I’m very discourged over republican candidates for 2012. I keep reading about what a great choice of candidates we have, i’m not feeling it!

NEWT PRESENTS A FRESH NEW VIRTUAL FACE

The day after the Republicans’ historic takeover of the House of Representatives in the 1994 election, Newt was off and running, giving a series of Fidel Castro-style speeches about “the Third Wave information revolution.” It had the unmistakable ring of lingo from his new-age gurus, Alvin and Heidi Toffler.

The Tofflers were a couple of old folks who couldn’t figure out how to program their VCRs, so they began writing about the “shock” of technology and how we needed government planning to deal with technological overload.

Their big idea was that the world was about to change faster than it ever had before, creating a technological explosion that would frighten and baffle the masses — much like the bewildering VCR clock. The government would have to have advisers and committees in order to ease the transition.

Zcat on December 7, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Romney= liberal gov of deep blue state who will be looped endlessly for his contradictions and flip flops.He is the saaaaaaaaaaaafe candidate.As charismatic as Bob Dole

Newt is flawed and egotistical but he actually has real accomplishments from his time in office and he is hitting the right tone with voters that generates excitement.The whiners can pound sand on this one.

Southernblogger on December 7, 2011 at 11:21 PM

And also his hair is threatening me through my dreams. garlglellgrglarle gack

cynccook on December 7, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Have you noticed how it never moves no matter what he does? Its almost hypnotic.

sharrukin on December 7, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Have even 40 percent of Newt’s big ideas been considered Conservative? Have even 33 percent been conservative? I think not: Individual Health Mandates, Cap-and-Trade, Local Amnesty Boards, DeDe, TARP, Fannie Mae cheer leader, The Couch? Which is conservative? Newt is a big governemnt idea man.

Fred 2 on December 7, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Since its Dec.7TH!
====================

Today,December 7th,2011
***********************

a date which will live in infamy – the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Liberal Party.

The DNC, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Tea Party area. The facts of yesterday speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

Newt ss Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense.

Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us. No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe I interpret the will of the Tea Party and of the Patriots when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost but will make very certain that this form of treachery shall never endanger us again in our
Voting!!

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.Make Damn Sure You Vote.

With confidence in our armed forces – with the unbounded determination of our people – we will gain the inevitable triumph – so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by the DNC on Sunday, December seventh, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Democrat Party.—-(Snark)

canopfor on October 6, 2010 at 10:42 PM

canopfor on December 7, 2011 at 11:22 PM

vegconservative, I agree 100% with your 10:59 PM rankings. Stick to your guns.

I don’t think that Newt will flame out.

Phil Byler on December 7, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Not precisely? In other words, no. And why is it that somehow Mitt Romney is the safe candidate? Why is it that the Establishment media doesn’t seem to want to lift a finger when it comes to him?

KingGold on December 7, 2011 at 11:21 PM

When he starts dumping slime on Romney, then you might have a point.

aryeung on December 7, 2011 at 11:23 PM

we need to get over all this perfection crap and get behind someone, anyone, who can kick the pants out of obama in debates and charm the media…

amend2 on December 7, 2011 at 11:18 PM

I’m sorry, but did you write ‘charm the media’? As in Newt Gingrich charming the media?

You must be young and don’t remember Newt from his Speaker of the House days. Trust me, Gingrich was lots of things to lots of people back then, but charming wasn’t one of them.

troyriser_gopftw on December 7, 2011 at 11:23 PM

vegconservative on December 7, 2011 at 11:20 PM

DeMint – fake. Uses other “conservatives” for his soap box and than makes sure he tosses them out before HE looks bad.
Daniels – not totally impressed due to union issues.
Ryan – TARP, GM Bail Out, and a few other “money” issues.
T-Paw – really, do I have to go there? AGW and drilling….
McCotter – don’t know enough, but he doesn’t have enough name recognition obviously.

upinak on December 7, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Gingrich is now engaging in the equivalent of the first days of the Battle of the Bulge. When his logistical “hotgas” (ht: Rick Perry) runs out, haste la vista baby newtie.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on December 7, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Punchenko on December 7, 2011 at 11:15 PM

^this

We do not get to choose who runs – we get to choose from those who do… hence we want a fighter who can communicate intelligently and who knows what they are doing.

glidingone on December 7, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Fred 2 on December 7, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I could be wrong…but I think Newt was a wishy-washy kind of person in his time.
Seeing Obama and what lead up to his election…and the crap that happened afterward…has him scratching his head.
He may have a degree in History but…like the rest of us…learns something new every day.

Electrongod on December 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Anyone but Obama….even if he is on his forth wife.
We as a Country can survive this.

Electrongod on December 7, 2011 at 11:21 PM

I hear this argument a lot. It goes something like, “What, Gingrich is bad? You’re right, we should just re-elect Obama.”

It’s completely specious. That’s what a primary is for. Maybe instead of comparing candidates one supports to Obama, whom they’d like to run against, how about comparing them on the merits to the other GOP candidates, whom they’re actually running against?

KingGold on December 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Le crap(Newt ss Commander-)
should be Newt as Commander…

canopfor on December 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Sorry folks, conservatives don’t have the perfect nominee this election . The establishment made it clear she was unelectable.

rudee on December 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Newt Gingrich isn’t a good candidate, but what other realistic choice do we have that is better?

sharrukin on December 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM

vegconservative on December 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM

True, but at least you can be yourself. I’d be absolutely miserable if I had to put on that phony ‘politician’ veneer 24/7.

Good Solid B-Plus on December 7, 2011 at 11:28 PM

nswider on December 7, 2011 at 11:20 PM

So abortion and partial-birth abortion sat well with him for all those years, but it was stem cell research that pushed him over the top and changed his mind? REALLY!? Now I dislike Romney even more. :-(

Punchenko on December 7, 2011 at 11:28 PM

trading on access, taking $1.6 million from Freddie Mac,

And then lying about what he did for that money. Well, of course, he had to lie as every intelligent Republican would reject him as a candidate if they knew he was gaga spreading the word about the virtues of the socialist housing scheme that eventually destroyed the housing market and nearly destroyed the banking system, which in turn, led to the election of Obama because McCain, like so many of the posters on this site, didn’t understand the issue.

Basilsbest on December 7, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Have even 40 percent of Newt’s big ideas been considered Conservative? Have even 33 percent been conservative? I think not: Individual Health Mandates, Cap-and-Trade, Local Amnesty Boards, DeDe, TARP, Fannie Mae cheer leader, The Couch? Which is conservative? Newt is a big government idea man.

Fred 2 on December 7, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Well at least you see that. Try explaining this to people who read his book yet forget how he acted as Speaker. Buddy-Buddy with Billy Jeff is NOT one thing I would want for the next POTUS.

upinak on December 7, 2011 at 11:29 PM

vegconservative on December 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I would seriously watch what you say then. And I saw on another thread one of your posts. You need to do better in self checking before hitting submit. Remember, everything you say here is going to be available in your future political life.

Welcome aboard, I hope we see eye to eye. If we do not, and you start using fallacious arguments, we will tangle. If your just honest, call opinion opinion, and facts facts. Things will be better for you five/ten years out.

Give em hell!

astonerii on December 7, 2011 at 11:29 PM

sharrukin on December 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM

West.. Stache.. write in?

upinak on December 7, 2011 at 11:30 PM

KingGold on December 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Okay.

On the merits, Newt has a long history in politics and helped balance the budget.

He’s a ‘career politician,’ which is a bit of a negative in this environment, but the only reason Romney isn’t a ‘career politician’ is because he lost elections.

Good Solid B-Plus on December 7, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Number one, I said “not precisely” because I can’t provide you with evidence right now of any time Rush has overtly said, “Romney’s not the right candidate.” (I can, of course, give you plenty of citations about where Rush calls Romney the best conservative in the race, but that’s neither here nor there.) Number two, George Will, for one, has absolutely destroyed Romney in his columns for his “versatility of conviction,” which is one of the best ways I’ve heard it put.

When he starts dumping slime on Romney, then you might have a point.

aryeung on December 7, 2011 at 11:23 PM

He is dumping slime on Romney. Because he’s spinning conspiracy theories that Romney’s support is somehow coming only from Democrats and liberal Republicans, and steering his audience away by effusively praising whoever Not Romney happens to be, no matter how damaged they are. (For a prime example, see Herman Cain.)

KingGold on December 7, 2011 at 11:31 PM

I’m a 19 year old budding politician.

Young lad/lass, don’t go throwing your life away so soon – do something productive first!

vegconservative on December 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Also, I’m afraid your list needs work. The only candidate with a plan to balance the budget and a pledge to veto any budget resolution that doesn’t balance by the end of his first term does not belong second-to-last.

Inkblots on December 7, 2011 at 11:31 PM

upinak on December 7, 2011 at 11:23 PM

I never got that vibe from DeMint, care to provide some examples?

Daniels obviously has some problems, most notably on social issues. But his passion for entitlement reform seems like a good thing in this current economic situation.

Ryan: Is he any more flawed than any of the other candidates we have now?

T-Paw: Again, is he any more flawed than any of the current notRomneys we’ve had?

McCotter: I am biased, since I was nearly an employee of his campaign, but he has all the gravitas and wonkiness of Newt Gingrich, with a stronger conservative record (He has one heck of a social security plan, for example), and no personal baggage. His wife is mexican too, which could probably help him in the general. If you’ve ever seen RedEye, you know he has quite a good sense of humor too.

vegconservative on December 7, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Punchenko on December 7, 2011 at 11:28 PM

You probably don’t realize that most abortions are caused by extramarital sex. You and your candidate aren’t pro life.

Basilsbest on December 7, 2011 at 11:32 PM

whoo hoo,
I finally get to have my say for the first time. Thank you Hot Air for opening up the sign in. I was a Hillary fan that became disenfranchised by the democrat party, then I found Palin, she knocked alot of sense into me. I am now a very active tea party activist. As like others I have flipped and flopped around finding a canadate since Palin decided not to run, I am now backing Newt, not because I love Him but I at least know where he stands and I know he will kick Obama down the road in a debate. I also know and remember Newt from the 90′s and he is more conservative than Romney will ever be. I just can’t get behind Romney, especially because every inside the beltway guy is for him and I do not feel he will fight for anything or believes in anything.

kmr1964 on December 7, 2011 at 11:32 PM