New Perry ad: I’ll end Obama’s “war on religion”

posted at 3:40 pm on December 7, 2011 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Perry now basically running Huckabee’s 2007 campaign.” Makes me depressed that a guy who had Texas’s shiny jobs record to run on is now desperate enough to start making empty promises about re-banning gays from the military, but you can’t go wrong in Iowa by playing to social conservatives in the home stretch. (Right, Mitt?) Or … can you? Three more data points from yesterday’s NYT poll:

There’s some potential for Perry among the 38 percent in that last question, but honestly — if gay marriage or DADT is so important to you that your vote might turn on it, you’re going to back Santorum or Bachmann. (Bachmann leads the field with 19 percent, in fact, on the question of which candidate most represents the values you try to live by, and yet she’s still just fifth overall.) Perry’s trying to thread the needle here, I guess, by positioning himself as the most socially conservative candidate who’s electable, but how electable is he right now? He’s just two points ahead of Bachmann in this survey and is tied with her in RCP’s poll average. According to PPP, his favorable rating in the swing state of Colorado is now 16/69, a few points worse than Herman Cain’s. If you’re an Iowan trying to decide between him and Bachmann, why prioritize his alleged electability over her Iowa roots?

Exit quotation from the Log Cabin Republicans: “[It's] wrong for Governor Perry to assume being a person of faith does not afford one to support equality.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Good ad. Shows Obama’s messed up priorities. Will be effective ad in Iowa where it is playing. Strategically smart for the current audience.

kerrhome on December 7, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Perry is a fool. But of course Newt is so incompetent blah… /

andy85719 on December 7, 2011 at 3:44 PM

It’s the economy, stupid.

troyriser_gopftw on December 7, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Iowa is a democrat state! Play the economy card!!

Flapjackmaka on December 7, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I didn’t get that impression. I thought he was arguing that Christians were not being treated equally, hence the war on Christianity.

Nethicus on December 7, 2011 at 3:45 PM

AP, I don’t see where in this ad he says:

He’s just trying to show a comparison between what is important to the majority of the GOP and Obama. Priorities. He doesn’t say he would reverse it in this ad at least.

kerrhome on December 7, 2011 at 3:45 PM

mentioned this in the headlines thread, but these stupid ads about gay soldiers make it easier for people to ignore this administrations very real attacks on religion, such as forcing Catholic employers/hospitals/charities to violate their own religious tenets

Carolus on December 7, 2011 at 3:46 PM

he may not be ashamed to admit that he’s a christian, but he sure seems ashamed to match his words with his actions when it comes to charitable giving. Seriously, $90 one year!? Income of $1.4 MM.

If that data point doesn’t tell you more than you need to know about the good Governor and how he view’s government’s role in caring for the poor and needy, I’m not sure what else will.

gatorboy on December 7, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Another data point for the imaginary “War on Christianity” and the equally imaginary “War on Christmas.”

AngusMc on December 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM

well if republican voters would actually look at Perry’s economic record…I’m just as flabbergasted that it seems to have such a small effect compared to a couple of debate screw ups

Donald Draper on December 7, 2011 at 3:49 PM

gatorboy on December 7, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I never report my charitable contributions on any tax form. Defeats the purpose of it being charity if people know about it and if I get a tax break in return.

Nethicus on December 7, 2011 at 3:49 PM

gatorboy on December 7, 2011 at 3:47 PM

what?

Flapjackmaka on December 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM

He doesn’t say he would reverse it in this ad at least.

kerrhome on December 7, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Could AP be setting up a strawman? Taking lessons from Obama?

Christian Conservative on December 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Nethicus on December 7, 2011 at 3:45 PM

You are correct. As I said in the headline thread, this is exactly the point he was making. This is not an attack on DADT. It is calling out Democrats for claiming to be tolerant with gays in the military, but not to people of faith.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on December 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM

gatorboy on December 7, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I tithe every paycheck but i typically do so in cash so according to the record i would not have given much either…

Donald Draper on December 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Yeesh! I’ll bet even Palin does better than that in a place like Colorado. It’s looking like a politician’s favorability(at least a Republican politician) is directly tied to how he or she performs in interviews or debates. After the Couric sitdown, Palin’s numbers started to decline and never recovered. Same with Perry after the 3rd and 6th debates.

It’s unfortunate since both have successful records as governors and by all accounts are pretty likeable and engaging personalities. But this is the new political reality we live in apparently.

Doughboy on December 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Ace of Spades hardest hit.

notropis on December 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM

AngusMc on December 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Hey, it’s tough to be too pro-Christmas in America. And it is that time of year…

JohnGalt23 on December 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I don’t think he was suggesting a re-banning of gays in the military. He was just showing the absurdity of banning Christianity from the public square.

John the Libertarian on December 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Not a fan of this ad.

MayBee on December 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on December 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM

There is simply no war on religion going on. Perry is grasping at straws here.

ernesto on December 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM

He isn’t necessarily arguing that people in the military cannot be openly gay, though I know he believes that. He is arguing that if homosexuals have a “right” to express themselves freely in the military, then it’s an attack on Christians if they aren’t allowed to freely gather and pray at school. Why is one group allowed the right to express themselves, but not the other? At my job I listen all day long to people talk about their drug habits, drinking binges and open sexual relations with others, but the second I talk about my faith in Jesus Christ I’m shunned and told that I’m not being tolerant and at risk for losing my job. This is a bias and prejudice that has become built into the psyche of our culture.

DrummerDude on December 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Iowa is a democrat state! Play the economy card!!

Flapjackmaka on December 7, 2011 at 3:44 PM

*sigh*. Playing social-con superstar in this election, even in the primaries, is a loser. The economy is foremost on everyone’s minds and his reputation as a successful governor of a thriving state is Perry’s biggest selling point. He should be hitting that point again and again and again, make it stick in the mind like the tune of a song that won’t go away. But no. Perry’s determined to establish Christian conservative bona fides when he doesn’t need to. It’s wasted motion and time is short.

troyriser_gopftw on December 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Actually, Obama supports religion because he seems to really like Islam.

Oil Can on December 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM

kerrhome on December 7, 2011 at 3:45 PM

He’s clearly unhappy with the DADT repeal. If he doesn’t intend to try to reinstate the policy if elected, then I’m not sure why he’s airing this ad. Choose something else to use as a contrast to Christian values.

Allahpundit on December 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Look I am sick of the liberals declaring war on religion. Perry has a great deal of faith and believes in God. I stand with Perry and am grateful he is taking this to Obama.

Perry 2012

bzip on December 7, 2011 at 3:58 PM

By definition, wouldn’t any new president do that, even Hillary? I cannot watch any ads at work, so I cannot look at the ad to see if it is effective or not. But it seems a silly argument; I’ll end Obama’s “war on religion”.
If on the other hand, he plans to block the SCOTUS and other courts from even hearing those kinds of cases… might be worth looking at him.

astonerii on December 7, 2011 at 3:58 PM

There is simply no war on religion going on. Perry is grasping at straws here.

ernesto on December 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Tim Tebow unavailable for comment.

John the Libertarian on December 7, 2011 at 3:58 PM

There is simply no war on religion going on. Perry is grasping at straws here.

ernesto on December 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM

On the contrary, The war on religion, especially Catholics, has been going on for years.

dman232 on December 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM

AllahP, why must you preface every Perry story with a negative opinion?

You and Ed see rays of light in even the most terrible stories about the other candidates, heck even Marco Huntsman. But every story about Perry must have a sentence about how he is struggling, how he is desperate, etc…

You can say many things about Perry, but do not question his genuine social conservative credentials. Perry has never been shy to talk about his faith and this ad is no different.

Moreover, reports seem to indicate that his ads are catching fire with the Iowa caucus goers hence his ramping it up with a $1 million ad buy.

TheRightMan on December 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM

It’s so tough for Christians be openly Christian… especially this time of year. Perry’s got real courage!

lexhamfox on December 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Gov. Perry, missing the boat and likely losing the vote.

Speakup on December 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Nethicus on December 7, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Same here. I give in excess of 15% of my income away every year and don’t take the deduction. I try to keep my giving as annonymous as possible. The whole Matthew chapter 6 thingy.

tommyboy on December 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Get off it TheRightMan. Allahpundit starts every Newt story by telling us how depressed he is and how terrible a candidate Gingrich is. Almost sounds like he wants to slit his wrists. This introduction by Allahpundit was mild.

andy85719 on December 7, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Perry it’s too late for you. Sorry to sound “heartless.”

Raquel Pinkbullet on December 7, 2011 at 4:03 PM

OT: Gingrich leads Romney by double-digits in three of four early primary/caucus states

andy85719 on December 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Awful ad- pandering at its worst.
This guy is just not up to this task….sigh.

jjshaka on December 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM

If Newt is the front runner, I’m taking a good second look at Perry. He’s not as much of a talker as Newt is, but Perry is a far more authentic conservative than Newt”lets be like Singapore-no bubble gum”Gingrich. Newt is far too willing to force decisions down state’s throats.

jayhawkboilermaker on December 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Nethicus on December 7, 2011 at 3:49 PM

uhmmm… ok

gatorboy on December 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Good ad! I love it!

Nathan NY on December 7, 2011 at 4:09 PM

He is painting with way to broad of a brush, you can hardly say this is Obama’s war on religion. I’d say the “war” is driven mainly by our media and liberal professors. In an election where we actually are engaged in multiple wars this just seems a little silly, but hey, so is Rick Perry

MNcommonsense on December 7, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Tim Tebow unavailable for comment.
John the Libertarian on December 7, 2011 at 3:58 PM

So is the Chri…er…Holiday Tree at my kid’s school.

Bishop on December 7, 2011 at 4:09 PM

John the Libertarian on December 7, 2011 at 3:58 PM

What? Tim Tebow is under siege all of a sudden? Has he somehow been prevented from practicing his faith in any way? Of course not. It’s as easy for him to go to church and worship whomever he wants as it’s ever been. If his celebrity is somehow an example of a war, or some sort of oppression, then I think you’re crazy.

dman232 on December 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM

How so? It seems to me that it’s just as easy for anyone to walk into a church and worship as it’s ever been. Have I missed something? Or do you just consider people’s thinning patience with proselytizing some kind of war?

ernesto on December 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Nethicus on December 7, 2011 at 3:45 PM

That’s how I interpreted it as well.

I am not a religious person, an atheist in fact, and the evangelical thing irritates me no end, but I also hate how the left has peverted the 1st Amendment in trying to eliminate all Christianity from public life.

That said, I think Perry, and all the candidates, should focus on fiscally conservative limited government as defined by the Constitution. If we did that, then a lot of the social stuff would work itself out.

Common Sense on December 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Step on a Perry post and you soon find TheRightMan stuck to the bottom of your shoe. Seriously, this guy must just be sitting and waiting for these threads to appear. I’m convinced he’s working for the Perry campaign in a way that is similar to those “Koncerned Khristian Konservative” Axelrod goons that appeared on all the blogs back in 2007 and 2008 were working for Barry.

Perry isn’t going to make it. His numbers are in the terminal phase. I suspect he’ll be gone after Iowa, maybe New Hampshire. He’s certainly not going to make it to Florida.

Dack Thrombosis on December 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Perry needs to be talking about jobs and energy, his two strongest issues. Which is what he should have talked about during the debates. Perry has some good experience and good ideas, but doesn’t know how to sell them outside of Texas.

At this point, Perry should probably endorse Newt and send him a copy of his jobs and energy plan, and hope for a Cabinet position.

Steve Z on December 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

andy85719 on December 7, 2011 at 4:03 PM

LOL…

I do know that AllahP is a natural “eeyore” always seeing the glass as half empty instead of half full. However, the tone of most Perry posts – not only at Hot Air but on a few other conservative blogs – have all been negative even where the story doesn’t call for it.

I sometimes get tired of articles always trying to fit a meme or memes:

- Gingrich is surging (we get hundreds of articles with polls etc… to support this. Never mind the negative stories on Gingrich)
- Perry is struggling (we get eeyorish spins on every single Perry article to feed this meme)

and thus creating self-fulfilling prophecies.

Note: This is not to impugn the hard-won and excellent reputation of AllahP. I am simply illustrating the herdlike mentality that seems to have transferred from the MSM to our conservative blogs.

TheRightMan on December 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

It’s those Bible-clingers who are making all the trouble.

Bishop on December 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Nethicus on December 7, 2011 at 3:49 PM

tommyboy on December 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I understand and respect that, but most of my giving is done by check or online, anyway, so it already isn’t anonymous, and in light of all the immoral crap they do with my tax dollar, I feel compelled to keep every red cent I legally can out of their hands.

pannw on December 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM

A voter without a job couldn’t care less about “the war on religion”.

celticdefender on December 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Dack Thrombosis on December 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Paraphrasing Joe Biden, two words: inevitable Newt implosion.

troyriser_gopftw on December 7, 2011 at 4:19 PM

ernesto on December 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

tebow is getting mocked and criticized in the press constantly. and as for proselytizing, trying putting up any type of religious decoration in your cubicle/office. HR will sentence you to “sensitivity” training for such a transgression.

chasdal on December 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Yes, like this administration requiring all sorts of Catholic groups to provide coverage of contraception, which goes against the Catholic faith.

Carolus on December 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM

*new to this commenting thing…meant to be a reply to ernesto

Carolus on December 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM

… depends if we agree on what equality means in this context.

Interesting issue for Perry, though.

The issue of Religion has fallen out of the GOP debate, as has Perry for the most part.

Pretty smart of Perry to elevate this issue back into the debate and thereby elevate himselve back into the debate.

Lawrence on December 7, 2011 at 4:23 PM

pannw on December 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM

not anonymous to the charity, anonymous to the public in general. charities almost never reveal names of donors unless its a large amount and the donor wants the good feeling PR

chasdal on December 7, 2011 at 4:23 PM

First time poster. Hiya!

I think this might work, but I won’t hold my breath. Perry’s main competition on social issues would be Gingrich and Romney. Why? Bachmann and Santorum are solid, but a) have no money, and b) turn off far too many people with their personality–which is why their Iowa numbers are “Meh.”

Perry has a chance if Gingrich and Romney go the way of Dick Gephardt and Howard Dean, ca. 2004. Romney’s already started this with his snarky “I’ve had the same wife” ads. Newt probably needs to engage this issue because of his history, if only to reassure voters. He doesn’t have to engage Romney. But would he resist? If they tear each other down, that might allow someone the clearance to run up the middle for the touch down.

Or he might be like other past candidates who have basically lived in Iowa for months and still lose.

Dafyd on December 7, 2011 at 4:23 PM

This country was founded on the principle of freedom of religion – not freedom FROM religion as you atheists would like.

Freedom of religion means you are free to exercise your religion and should not be attacked or suffer prejudice for it.

Perry’s right.

ChristianRock on December 7, 2011 at 4:24 PM

chasdal on December 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM

He IS getting lots of press coverage, but it’s focused on his tendency to win close games. Either way, I don’t think people laughing at his one-knee stance counts as a “war”. I think christians are just upset that other people exist. How else could mockery be considered war? I mean, look at the whole gay rights thing: imagine if the government was telling christians that their marriages would no longer be recognized. THAT’s a war on religion. Not mocking Tim Tebow.

ernesto on December 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM

chasdal on December 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Interesting is, in not, how secular demands that thier views be the only acceptable views allows in public discourse is okay, but religious people presenting their view in public is proselytizing?

Lawrence on December 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM

gatorboy on December 7, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Gatorboy, I read through the tax link you gave. Seems liberals have a tough time reading through entire tax documents. Seems you missed the $14k in items donated to a related charity that same year. In every year I found either money or items donated in the $12k to $14k each year to charities or churches. That’s about 10% of after tax income.

Michael Savage and others have been on the culture warrior track for along time now. Perry has been doing the same as well, such as supporting the Boy Scouts when under attack by the left. Many people feel that they are under attack and Perry is repeating what he’s stood up for nearly all his life. This isn’t him pandering, it’s saying what he has believed for a very long time.

Ronaldusmax on December 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Allahpundit on December 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Thanks AP, but he made no “empty promise” (your words) that I can find anywhere, so I think that part is just inaccurate.

Perry is focusing on Obama’s priorities. O prioritizes DODT repeal above Christians being able to celebrate Christmas or pray in school. Perry says he “will end Obama’s war on religion” and the “liberal attacks on our heritage”. I see no promise concerning gays in the military.

I think you are mistaken in this instance based on the words I’m hearing/reading.

kerrhome on December 7, 2011 at 4:28 PM

ernesto on December 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Actually, no. It would have no effect on religous marraige.

Goverment legalizes marriages in context civil law.

Church’s marry in context of relationship standards.

If the government stopped recognizing marriages, Churches would still enact the ceremony, it would simply provide no legal protections or benefits for the spouses.

Lawrence on December 7, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Poor Rick. Poor fella couldn’t win a one-man debate. I like him, but he just isn’t Presidential. I hope he goes back to focusing on being Governor of Texas–soon….

jfs756 on December 7, 2011 at 4:29 PM

TheRightMan on December 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM

I have to agree with TRM here. Perry has always been a very devout Christian. This is nothing new. It’s one big component of his personality and life. It’s also effective in Iowa. He has been talking about all areas that are important to him. Why not talk about his Christian beliefs since they are so important to him too?

kerrhome on December 7, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I am one Christian who is more apt to start to tune you out if you try to pander to me or suggest that I need to support you in order to be a “good” Christian. Please don’t talk to me like I’m stupid or like I’m some automaton that will support you if you talk about gays or abortion or Christmas enough.

The U.S. government is a secular institution. Tell me how your policies will help businesses create more jobs for those who want to work but can’t find work. Tell me how you’ll get the federal budget back under control. Tell me how you’ll reform entitlements so that they’re no longer a ticking time bomb. If you’re running for federal office, those are the things I’m interested in.

PerceptorII on December 7, 2011 at 4:32 PM

ernesto on December 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM

A war on religious marriage would be the government making it illegal for churchs to perform marriages.

Lawrence on December 7, 2011 at 4:32 PM

There is simply no war on religion going on. Perry is grasping at straws here.

ernesto on December 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM

You’re partially right – it’s a war on Christianity, whereby people can put a crucifix in a jar of urine and call it art, but some crank in FL wanting to burn Korans necessitates a public address from the president.

The Count on December 7, 2011 at 4:32 PM

His message resonates with me.
When you have kids and grandkids, you think about these things.
He may get a bump in the polls from this.

There is simply no war on religion going on. Perry is grasping at straws here.

ernesto on December 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM

How many of us are going to our kids’ Christmas holiday concert? Taxpayer funded schools. No war here. Nah.

balkanmom on December 7, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I have no problem with this ad, actually. Why can’t gays serve in the military AND people pray in school? I’m pretty sure that’s what he’s saying here.

I also heard “boy” and a slight undertone of jungle drums in the background.

SouthernGent on December 7, 2011 at 4:35 PM

The ad’s only 30 seconds but i guess i somehow missed where he said he’d ban gays from the military. Sounds more like he’s pointing out the hypocrisy of the oh so enlightened and tolerant crowd who are all for equal rights for gays but when it comes to Christians their enthusiasm for equality wanes, to put it mildly.

clearbluesky on December 7, 2011 at 4:35 PM

SouthernGent on December 7, 2011 at 4:35 PM

That’s what I heard as well.

darwin on December 7, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Nice ad. It’s just too bad that he often comes off as such a boob when in a public forum. The media would (does) paint him as the 2nd coming of Bush…he doesn’t have a chance because of it.

mooseygoosey on December 7, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Dack Thrombosis on December 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Then we better anoint Romney the nominee and quit with wasting everybody’s time – and that will certainly result in an easy Obama re-election.

But don’t try to sell Gingrich as conservatives’ best hope – the smart man that keeps doing the dumbest of things. His latest? Failing to plan for a surge in his candidacy and thereby failing to file for his candidacy in several states’ ballots. Even Marco Huntsman didn’t make that mistake.

So I don’t know about you but I will take the candidate (Perry) that talks dumb but acts smart over the candidate (Gingrich) that talks smart but acts dumb – any day any time.

TheRightMan on December 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM

AllahP, why must you preface every Perry story with a negative opinion?

TheRightMan on December 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM

You are out of your goddamned corker, buddy. Allah has never been one to find a ray of light with most candidates’ flubs, gaffes, missteps, and overreaches, nor really has Ed. They give pretty damned good.

Of course, we’re talking about you, here. The guy who thinks Perry is going to magically ascend from several seats down on the bench, when he isn’t, any more than Michelle Bachmann will.

MadisonConservative on December 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Good commercial. Fairly benign message. Perry should be doing better than Newt. Unfortunately, there probably isn’t enough time for Perry to recover from his opening fumble and resemblance to GWB.

dedalus on December 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I think christians are just upset that other people exist.

Actually no. They’re upset that the ACLU and every other fanatic leftist organization is constently attacking their heritage while Islam is left alone to propagate itself throughout the US.

How else could mockery be considered war?

ernesto on December 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM

How come you people don’t mock Islam? Muslims hang gays and stone women. Are you guys just pu**ies or do you side with Islam to get rid of Christians?

darwin on December 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM

There is simply no war on religion going on. Perry is grasping at straws here.

ernesto on December 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM

And Obowma’s Marxist/Socialist policies have been a rounding success…!

Seven Percent Solution on December 7, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Dack Thrombosis on December 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Also bring out a Perry post that has a religion/Christianity reference in it and you find all sorts of so-called conservatives that hate Christians popping out.

What is a “Koncerned Khristian Konservative”? Do you naturally hate Christians or you hate Perry being a Christian?

TheRightMan on December 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM

How else could mockery be considered war?

ernesto on December 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM

darwin on December 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM

They are pu**ies and they side with Islam…

Seven Percent Solution on December 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Go Perry!

Texican Ben on December 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Kids can pray in school. What the heck is he talking about? Who has said that kids can’t pray in school? Why do people believe this lie?

Mark Jaquith on December 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Praying is recognized in most religions. It’s the ban on celebrating Christmas that is targeted at Christians.

Good ad.

Labamigo on December 7, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Mark Jaquith on December 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Really? Kids can pray freely in public schools? They can’t even say a prayer before a football game anymore, or mention God in a graduation speech.

Praying to Gaia or Lenin is acceptable though …

darwin on December 7, 2011 at 5:00 PM

It’s unfortunate since [Palin and Perry] have successful records as governors and by all accounts are pretty likeable and engaging personalities. But this is the new political reality we live in apparently.

Doughboy on December 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Agreed. Both, I think, would be great leaders, but they can’t get the American Idol vote.

Anyway, I am not personally for overturning DADT. Having been in the military, I never saw any evidence that people would start jumping ship if it was overturned and I haven’t seen it happen since then. So the argument to do so doesn’t actually sit well with me as a voter. I’m a Perry supporter and I don’t think he is explicitly saying he would overturn anything, but I don’t necessarily like it being brought up as a contrtast point. There are too many other examples out there to use. Just my opinion though, for what that is worth ;)

Go GOP!

XWing5 on December 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM

For people who claim to have “The Truth” Xians certainly are a bunch of crybabies.

They should stop looking for the government to validate their beliefs and understand that the U.S. is a secular society. They are free to pray and worship as they wish. However, Xians do not have the right to hear the words “Merry Christmas”.

chumpThreads on December 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM

DES MOINES — An unprecedented vote to remove three Iowa Supreme Court justices who were part of the unanimous decision that legalized same-sex marriage in the state was celebrated by conservatives as a popular rebuke of judicial overreach, even as it alarmed proponents of an independent judiciary.

Take a look at the photo at the top of this article, it’s sending a signal and Perry received that signal loud and clear.

Dr Evil on December 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM

However, Xians do not have the right to hear the words “Merry Christmas”.

chumpThreads on December 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM

They do have the “right” to hear those words if they are speaking them, per the Bill of Rights (Freedom of Speech), don’t they?

cs89 on December 7, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Rick Perry has already talked about the economy: Cut, Cap, & Grow and his “Uproot” Government Plan, an Energy policy that will create 1.2 Million Jobs, and Tax Reform – if he were to implement just a 10% of any of these proposals we’ll be better off than we are now.

And here’s the bitter talking: he has 5% at the polls to show for it.

Now he’s on a difference offense; playing to the folks that brought home the election in 2004 – the Christian Right.

He’s aggressively adapting his campaign to the lay of the land. Thing is Rick Perry was written off what three weeks ago and here we are still talking about him.

He’s a politician. Most have nine lives – I’ll admit he maybe on his sixth one – we’ll see.

I support this ad. I support Rick Perry.

Conger on December 7, 2011 at 5:29 PM

You know what, if Perry can come out and say he will reinstate do not ask do not tell, and can hold that position until election day, I just might vote for him.

But, it does not look like he is arguing against the gays openly serving in the military as much as arguing that people should be able to celebrate Christmas at school and pray at school. Both of which I agree with, but are not things that he is going to get much push back from, so are easy things to promote to try and pull brownie points with Christians.

But, if he can stand up and go to the mat actually fighting to get the openly gays out of the military again, and hold that stance, he can gain my vote. It will show that he will take heat in order to push for my ideals. I do not really see it happening, but there you go Rick, your chance to earn my support!

astonerii on December 7, 2011 at 5:32 PM

It’s the economy, stupid.

troyriser_gopftw on December 7, 2011 at 3:44 PM

This.

Good Lt on December 7, 2011 at 5:33 PM

cs89 on December 7, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I’m not sure I understand the question.
Are you asking if people have the right to say “Merry Christmas”?
Obviously they do.

chumpThreads on December 7, 2011 at 5:34 PM

chumpThreads on December 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Never saw your name before, guess your new. Go past what is acceptable behavior at this site in your anti Christian views and I will be happy to work to get you put back out in the wilderness.

astonerii on December 7, 2011 at 5:37 PM

AngusMc on December 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM

The persecution complex is rather funny to watch. Too used to superiority, any kind of equality is a vast warlike conspiracy against them.

mythicknight on December 7, 2011 at 5:41 PM

astonerii on December 7, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Perry can come out and say it all he wants. The U.S. military will no more return to DADT than it would to racially segregated units.

The nation is moving away from the thinking of people like you and Perry.

chumpThreads on December 7, 2011 at 5:42 PM

mythicknight on December 7, 2011 at 5:41 PM

^^ lacks cognitive thought processes.

darwin on December 7, 2011 at 5:45 PM

astonerii on December 7, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Can’t say I’ve seen you here before either. But your “concern troll” chops are quite good.

If you’re threatening to agitate to have me banned, you’ll have to get in line, sunshine.

chumpThreads on December 7, 2011 at 5:46 PM

The nation is moving away from the thinking of people like you and Perry.

chumpThreads on December 7, 2011 at 5:42 PM

You also note that the nation is decaying and rotting. At some point it will either collapse, or be retaken by people like me.

astonerii on December 7, 2011 at 5:47 PM

chumpThreads on December 7, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I will not agitate you. People like you naturally are too dense to realize when you cross the line. Something to do with missing an aspect of what makes a person good.

astonerii on December 7, 2011 at 5:48 PM

How so? It seems to me that it’s just as easy for anyone to walk into a church and worship as it’s ever been. ernesto on December 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Wow, you mean you libs are going to gives us a whole 2 hours a week. How “tolerant” of you.

tommyboy on December 7, 2011 at 5:51 PM