Inhofe to climate conference: Nobody’s listening any more

posted at 10:50 am on December 7, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Two years ago, the Obama administration practically staged an airlift of leading Democratic officials to the UN climate conference in Copenhagen.  Barack Obama himself made an appearance, as did Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, and even Republican Senator Jim Inhofe, who went to represent the AGW skeptics and demand answers to the then-breaking Climategate scandal.  In the end, Obama could only produce a non-binding agreement that even he didn’t agree to sign, while domestic support for climate-change policy collapsed underneath him.

Fast forward two years.  We have Climategate 2.0 accompanying another UN conference on climate change, this time in Durban.  The one big difference?  The White House has completely ignored it.  Senator Inhofe sends his greetings to the Durban conference and gleefully points out that they have become irrelevant:

Hello, I am Senator Jim Inhofe, Republican Senator from Oklahoma. Today, I’m happy to bring you the good news about the complete collapse of the global warming movement and the failure of the Kyoto Protocol, as world leaders meet for the United Nations global warming conference in Durban, South Africa. For the past decade, I have been the leader in the United States Senate standing up against global warming alarmism and cap-and-trade, which would have been the largest tax increase in American history. This victory is especially important today, as families in America and around the world continue to face tough economic times. Tossing out any remote possibility of a UN global warming treaty is one of the most important things we can do for the economy.

I am making this announcement from Washington DC – where I am confident that the only person left talking about global warming is me. The message from Washington to the UN delegates in South Africa this week could not be any clearer: you are being ignored. And you are being ignored by your biggest allies in the United States: President Obama and the Democratic leadership in the Senate.

There is good reason for this – just two years ago, President Obama, along with members of his administration, several members of the Congressional Democratic leadership, and Al Gore, travelled to Copenhagen to tell the world that the United States was ready to join the United Nations efforts and implement costly global warming regulations through cap-and-trade legislation. Knowing this was nothing but a lie, I made the trip to Copenhagen as a one-man truth squad to inform the 191 countries in attendance that there was no way the United States Senate would ever pass global warming cap-and-trade. They didn’t like it, but I was right and they were wrong. Now, two years later, my colleagues are nowhere to be found at the latest conference.

Nevertheless, President Obama and his allies in the far left environmental movement are working under the radar to impose global warming restrictions in the United States through regulations by the Environmental Protection Agency. As you will remember, even Lisa Jackson, Obama’s EPA Administrator has admitted publically that US action alone would not reduce world CO2 emisssions. Now that the UN global warming movement has completely collapsed, why is President Obama still determined to move forward with costly global warming regulations that will destroy our economy while providing no meaningful environmental benefits?

To make matters worse, President Obama is doing this even though the entire basis of these global warming regulations rests on the science of the now discredited UN IPCC. Of course, the IPCC has refused to reform its process, and I can only assume this is because doing so would undermine those in the Obama Administration who called the IPCC the “gold standard” of climate science.

So even though we’ve had many victories our fight isn’t over. Today we are working to stop President Obama from achieving quietly through regulation what he could not achieve through legislation.

I had originally hoped to join the party in Durban with my good friends and allies from CFACT. I understand that Craig Rucker, Lord Moncton and my former Communications Director Marc Morano are on the ground in Durban to tell whatever press is actually covering the UN Conference the real story.

I am particularly pleased that Marc will be releasing his A-Z Climate Reality Check report. This report shows that on virtually every claim – from A-Z – the promoters of man-made climate fears are failing and the global warming movement is suffering a scientific death of a thousand cuts. It categorizes and indexes the full range of climate developments. It includes key facts, peer-reviewed studies and the latest data and developments with links for further reading, on an exhaustive range of man-made global warming claims.

But let’s also remember that even though cap and trade legislation is gone…done…dead, President Obama is going full force in his efforts to pass these destructive regulations through the EPA. And even if we defeat Obama in the 2012 elections, they’re still out there. Moveon.org, George Soros, Michael Moore, and the Hollywood elites are not going to give up – and they’ve got the press and unlimited resources on their side. So it’s not over yet.

Let me end by thanking my friends from CFACT for organizing this press conference today. We have worked closely together to expose this costly agenda for years. You should know that global warming skeptics everywhere wish we could be with you celebrating the final nail in the coffin on location in South Africa. And…tell Al Gore hello for me.

There is one other difference, related to the first: the American media has barely mentioned this conference. Two years ago, it got wall-to-wall coverage. It’s not just the White House that’s ignoring the global-warming hysterics in 2011.

Comments

After having to hold my nose on election day so many times the last few years, it’s truly been a pleasure voting for this man.

billy on December 7, 2011 at 10:56 AM

When you have to brace two blizzards to attend a global warming conference in Copenhagen, that tends to tamp down enthusiasm for the cause.

crrr6 on December 7, 2011 at 10:56 AM

<And…tell Al Gore hello for me.>

Classic

NCPatriot75 on December 7, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Shut down the lunacy.

Speakup on December 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Awesome.

Great work over the years Senator … without your strong leadership on this issue there’s no telling what “climate” nonsense might have been passed by the Senate.

darwin on December 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Akzed on December 7, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Unfortunately, the bogus “green” regulations continue to plague the US. This will still take some undoing.

katy on December 7, 2011 at 10:59 AM

HaHaHaHa!

Excellent.

ChuckTX on December 7, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Inhofe deserves big praise on this. Superb.

paul1149 on December 7, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Decent statement by Inhofe that I can endorse.

Final Word on December 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Christopher Monckton even arrived by parachute! It’s good to see that the conference is slipping into irrelevance. Canada, which unlike the US actually pretended to abide by Kyoto, will not continue with the farce. It seems that the Australians are the only ones left with much enthusiasm and that could change with their next election.

MichiCanuck on December 7, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Cap and Trade is alive and not so well here in Mass!

Courtesy of the left wingers in the Cadillac Deval Patrick administration.

We are now paying the highest electricity costs in the lower 48, all this before they even break water on the “Cape Wind” green scam (which should add billions of additional hidden taxes to our bills).

Cadillac D’s “Green Communities Act” of 2008 is a left wing dream come true. And we will be paying for it for decades!

shanimal on December 7, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Thanks to Sen. Inhofe, who has been for years the lone voice of climate sanity in the US Senate!

But, as he says, the fight is not yet over. The IPCC still exists (it was founded to promote the ‘global warming’ alarmism and give it ersatz credibility in the scientific community); it needs to be de-funded. And CFACT warns that the enviro-crats in the US and around the world are attempting to create new funding streams with hidden ‘climate’ taxes on international trade, which will not require treaties.

The rats are still gnawing at the foundations of Western civilization. We ignore them at our peril.

MrLynn on December 7, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Our Idiot in Chief fell for it, hook, line, and sinker. But she is a communist, so I suppose she’s excused.

OldEnglish on December 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Well done Senator…..good to see that there are still some Government employees with common sense and a grasp of science, ready to take on this Lib-Tard, fairy-tale religion that only a true redistributionist could exalt (it’s called a “principle” Newt – you should try it).

As for Global Warming…..It’s dead, Jim.

Tim_CA on December 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Admiration is not too strong a word. THANK YOU Oklahoma!

golfmann on December 7, 2011 at 11:10 AM

As someone interested in all things scientific, I paid lots of attention to the “coming ice age” talk in the 70s. I learned from that scam.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Lucky Pierre on December 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Lol. This speech is a very polite flipping of the bird.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on December 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM

The donks finally realized a conference on how to put people out of work and transfer trillions to third world despots is not a vote getter.

Blake on December 7, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I love this guy but I almost fell asleep watching this

jcelephant on December 7, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Best read of the day so far. Way to go Senator Inhofe!

DanMan on December 7, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Inhofe has been taking the slings and arrows from the academic left for 10 yrs only to be proved prescient. Its gotta feel awesome to be presiding over another leftist failure.

jcelephant on December 7, 2011 at 11:16 AM

One good thing about a bad economy, a lot of crap and nonsense gets flushed out of the system.

MechanicalBill on December 7, 2011 at 11:19 AM

And…tell Al Gore hello for me.

But whatever you do don’t sit down next to him when you deliver my message.

boaje on December 7, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Two years ago, the Obama administration practically staged an airlift of leading Democratic officials to the UN climate conference in Copenhagen. Barack Obama himself made an appearance, as did Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, and even Republican Senator Jim Inhofe, who went to represent the AGW skeptics and demand answers to the then-breaking Climategate scandal.

crrr6 on December 7, 2011 at 10:56 AM

WTF? Seems Obama et al. had no problems getting there. Besides, 2.0 is in Durban.

At any rate, on climate change, Inhofe has been awesomely awesome in his awesomeness.

BuckeyeSam on December 7, 2011 at 11:19 AM

God – that was electrifying.

johnboy on December 7, 2011 at 11:22 AM

This is excellent, concise, and makes me wish we had Senators with this kind of cahones in Indiana. There is enough pollution in the west wing now that the EPA ought to shut that down too.

D.Mockracy on December 7, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I. HEART. JIM. INHOFE.

KeepOhioRed on December 7, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Heh

Me likey

cmsinaz on December 7, 2011 at 11:24 AM

The good news is that democrats will never have a big enough coalition to foist their cap and trade eco-religion upon all of us – rust belt democrats will never walk that plank. The bad news is this country is screwed anyway.

crrr6 on December 7, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Oh to have a senator like this. At least my Rep is (Lungren R-CA.

Bob's Kid on December 7, 2011 at 11:31 AM

That is one thing our liberal friends can’t stand: The truth.

supersport667 on December 7, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Confused

crrr6 on December 7, 2011 at 11:27 AM

oh, C RRR6

I get it now

Sonosam on December 7, 2011 at 11:36 AM

At least my Rep is (Lungren R-CA).

Bob’s Kid on December 7, 2011 at 11:31 AM

He’s mine too!! If only he were our Seanator…

pseudonominus on December 7, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Careful, Jim. You don’t want to incur a 15 yard penalty for this sort of endzone celebration, do you? Eh…on second thought, it’s so worth it. Go ahead a spike that football! :-)

PerceptorII on December 7, 2011 at 11:42 AM

“And…tell Al Gore hello for me.”

Al who?

listens2glenn on December 7, 2011 at 11:43 AM

So many battles you take on and feel like it’s a hopeless cause.

Then things like this come along and hope is renewed.

Thanks Senator!!!!! Wooooo hoooooo!!!!!!

itsspideyman on December 7, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Too bad so few GOP leaders have Inhofe’s common sense and courage! (John Boehner, your office is calling)

So Cal Jim on December 7, 2011 at 11:49 AM

the fraud is unraveling!

@obamuh on December 7, 2011 at 11:53 AM

This is a day to celebrate. Thank you Senator. Thanks to scientists who kept telling scientific truth despite losing grant money, being denied tenure, or being forced out of positions.

And thanks to everyone in the blogosphere who kept pointing out the record of universal failure by the warmist prognosticators, and refuted their alarmism with current facts.

But it’s not over. A lot of people are still being subjected to this nonsense:

Keep up the fight!

theCork on December 7, 2011 at 11:55 AM

oh, C RRR6

I get it now

Sonosam on December 7, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Think of me as crr6…before the lobotomy.

crrr6 on December 7, 2011 at 12:02 PM

This farce is taking place in Durban, South Africa.In my travels in the Army I have been to Africa and the Middle East several times where it is and has been forever 120 degrees or more.Is cap and trade going to lower the temp there?

docflash on December 7, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Yeah, I noticed that in the earlier post. I think that username should be deleted. This isn’t a yahoo stock message board.

blink on December 7, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Yeah, I would agree. I don’t think attempting to sock puppet another commenter is a good idea.

lorien1973 on December 7, 2011 at 12:04 PM

billy on December 7, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I have to agree. Having lived in Chicago for 3 years a while back and having to put up with Obama and Durbin it is so nice to be back in Oklahoma and have Senators I can actually be proud of.

PatientWolf on December 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM

… the IPCC the “gold standard” of climate psuedo science.

FIFY

Dexter_Alarius on December 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Democrats steadfastly refuse to attend any event in South Africa unless + until Nelson Mandela is released from prison. To you “Apartheid Deniers” who would point out that Mandela was freed in 1990: the time for debate is over, the issue is settled …

BatonRogue on December 7, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Thank God, our Precident-in-chiefs executive orders can be canceled in Jan. 2013.

coyotebait on December 7, 2011 at 12:12 PM

If I could talk my wife into it, I’d get the heck out of CA and move to Oklahoma just to vote for Inhofe and Coburn.

MikeinPRCA on December 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Many of us read hundreds of comments on here. I don’t think we should be forced to take the extra time to discriminate between confusingly similar user names. I really think you should change it.

blink on December 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Wow…ok, since that seems to be the consensus. Where can I change it or do I have to re-register under a different email?

crrr6 on December 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Take down the tent
The tree ring circus is leaving town.

seven on December 7, 2011 at 12:20 PM

They have been bloodied but they will never go away. Idiots are a always amoung us and they are still indoctrinating our children throughout the educational system.

DWoDiego on December 7, 2011 at 12:26 PM

One media source has not ignored it: It has been the lead story every hour on NPR’s Morning Edition news highlights the last couple of days and they have major environmental stories running. Right now, the two top two stories on the programs website are: “At Climate Talks, Resistance From India, China, U.S.” and “Can ‘Carbon Ranching’ Offset Emissions In Calif.?

The latter was a story about flooding fields to make peat bogs to sequester carbon…really!

A third piece during this morning (which was sold more as a health story: “Clean Air A ‘Luxury’ In Beijing’s Pollution Zone

Yesterday was about the same:

Climate-Treaty Talks Target U.S., China Emissions and Calif. Takes Big Step Toward Greenhouse Gas Limits

The BBC is doing about the same.

HakerA on December 7, 2011 at 12:32 PM

LOL. I love the snarkiness! Stick the knife in a twist!

DuctTapeMyBrain on December 7, 2011 at 12:36 PM

blink on December 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM

crrr6 on December 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Dude…not only is it funny, but it would drive crr6 bat-sh!t crazy.

Why the frig’ do you worry what others think?

Tim_CA on December 7, 2011 at 12:47 PM

So no “Green Week” on MSDNC? Why, I’m simply devastated.

AnonymousDrivel on December 7, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Dude…not only is it funny, but it would drive crr6 bat-sh!t crazy.

Why the frig’ do you worry what others think?

Tim_CA on December 7, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I guess I was just worried that enough people would complain and get my account killed after waiting a year and a half. It appears that I can’t change it anyway.

crrr6 on December 7, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Inhofe to climate conference: Nobody’s listening any more

We’re listening, they can’t hear our snickering response?

Dr Evil on December 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I conclude that Penn State is a terrible college and that anyone who went there has a worthless degree. Penn State alumni can argue with me if they want, but this is my conclusion. If you don’t like it, then take it up with the university.

blink on December 7, 2011 at 11:11 AM

The President of PSU who was just ousted over the Sandusky scandal, Graham Spanier, was almost a caricature of left-wing academic lunacy. Easily the most crazy-left state university President in the country. Go watch S.E Cupp’s report on the YAF pro-Israel rally at POSU and you will see more proof of how nutty that place is.

Hopefully there will be some reckoning about Michael Mann and the coddling of extremist Islam and snti-Semitism at PSU as well as the football program, as PSU begins the long proceess of recovering from Spanier’s misrule.

Meanwhile, I won’t let either of my kids get near Penn State. It’s bad enough that my tax dollars go there, I sure as hell am not giving it any tuition money.

rockmom on December 7, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Think of me as crr6…before the lobotomy.

crrr6 on December 7, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Works for me.

Dr Evil on December 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM

crrr6 on December 7, 2011 at 1:04 PM

lol…

Apparently you mistake his site for Kos or Moveon.

Welcome.

Tim_CA on December 7, 2011 at 1:25 PM

“t”his

Tim_CA on December 7, 2011 at 1:26 PM

But the press is doing its level-best to ignore Climategate 2. There’s been hardly a whisper in the MSM.

Shocking, I know.

nukemhill on December 7, 2011 at 1:44 PM

crrr6 on December 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Consensus? I don’t think so. I think it’s hilarious and not confusing at all. If crr6 is still around, hasn’t posted in a while, it will frost her drawers. When I figured out what you had done I actually laughed out loud. Don’t see that it will be much problem telling the two of you apart.

Oldnuke on December 7, 2011 at 1:59 PM

On my. That hurt!

Opposite Day on December 7, 2011 at 2:20 PM

“Cha-KRAAAAAAAAAAAAH!”

/al

Ward Cleaver on December 7, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Hey UN, take your global tax to save the planet and shove it where the sun don’t shine.

Kissmygrits on December 7, 2011 at 2:33 PM

crrr6 on December 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM

You should re-register under a different email, especially since registration is open.

theCork on December 7, 2011 at 3:04 PM

fracktastic news

Mp1-tcb on December 7, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Hey good people! Spent more than a few hrs reading the comments here at HA. Now I got my “button” and will now contribute nothing of value to this wonderful site.

Gotta pat Inhofe on the back. Nice job Jimmy.

Jimilee on December 7, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Am I wrong in thinking that much of the whole global warming endeavor was simply an effort on the part of the poor countries to guilt-trip more funding out of the rich countries? Since the funding we are already giving them is being usurped by UN intermediaries.

And that since all the “rich” countries have now discovered that we, too, are broke there’s no use even discussing it. I know there were lots of pointy-headed bureaucrats in lots of different countries cooking up numbers and charts and diagrams to prove something about polar bears dying, but wasn’t the basic bottom line one more money grab to transfer wealth from those that gots it to those that don’t?

NahnCee on December 7, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Thank you Senator Inhofe for all you have done on this issue. Thank you for standing up on this issue when everyone else were bending over to the lies of the leftists who use “global warming/Climate change” in an all out effort to damage our economy over their irrational hatred of corporations. When every other politician, both Republicans (including Newt and Mitt)and Democrats were treating CO2 driven climate theories as facts, Senator Inhofe was the lone decenter standing up against the polls the political tide, and for simple common sense as well as our economic livelihoods. Thank you, thank you, thank you, you have my everlasting respect sir!

Dollayo on December 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

They say that if global warming stops then the perfect conditions for a super pandemic ultra plague of Bird Flu is likely. It is bad enough that fracking causes water cancer and outbreaks of STDs among the women folk and then there is the 2012 Mayan death wish thing…..we won’t have a moment to spare to pay attention to Armageddon over in the Muslim wonderland.

Gotta run scared from something.

BL@KBIRD on December 7, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Let’s not be so hasty about all this.

OK, fine, sure Global Warming has finally been fully discredited worldwide. But that doesn’t change the fact that America needs to build lots and lots and lots of new nuclear power plants.

Maybe the handful of remaining Global Warming Theology True Believers will finally be willing to agree with normal people on this one issue.

logis on December 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM

That was delicious.

Glad to read the heads up for this upcoming work from Marc Morano – noted.

perries on December 7, 2011 at 5:05 PM

crrr6 on December 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Try the Daily Kos,crrr. I heard they’re looking for your “type”.

DevilsPrinciple on December 7, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Here’s a link to the Introduction to Marc Morano’s “Climate FAIL from A to Z”:

and to the actual PDF:

Good stuff!

MrLynn on December 7, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Posted on behalf of a friend

“What is that?” asked Ralph.
“It’s a Diometer”, replied Vern. “It measures the presence of God.”
“You can measure the presence of God?” Ralph asked in amazement.
Vern nodded. “It’s a scientifically proven fact.”
Ralph was a bit awed. Finally he asked. “How big is God?”
“There is no God.” Vern stated with complete conviction.
Ralph blinked a few times. “Okay .. if science says so.”
Vern nodded his head sagely. “But Global Warming is real. It’s scientifically proven.”
Ralph stared at the Diometer in open wonder. “Ain’t science something?”
Vern nodded. “Without God, Ralph, science is all we got.”

theCork on December 8, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Good job Senator Inhofe! Rub their noses in the mess they’ve created.

scotash on December 8, 2011 at 3:54 AM