Hot Air Snap Survey Results

posted at 9:40 am on December 7, 2011 by Patrick Ishmael

We have some movement here, but the “why” is subject to some debate. The December survey suggested that Newt Gingrich would gain some Cain votes after Cain got out. That might have played out, but ultimately it was overwhelmed by an influx of Rick Perry voters, who provided their candidate with a bit of a spike. Two things might account for that: 1.) Perry’s supporters were better-organized this round, and 2.) voters got a sneak peak at the survey’s real-time results because I accidentally left that box ticked, meaning motivated groups of voters knew the sort of ground they needed to make up to make things interesting.

All that said, there weren’t that many attempts at double-voting from anybody, so while it’s relevant to note the nuanced differences in the circumstances of this particular survey, I’m quite comfortable that the rules were followed as intended. Will Rick Perry’s stock continue to rise? Only time will tell.

One final table of note, and then the full results: Candidates’ voters, by age.

Full results follow:

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Let’s go Perry!

cmsinaz on December 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Obama would eat Perry for a snack.

andy85719 on December 7, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Perry ’12!

“Get off our lawns!” ;-)

Y-not on December 7, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I voted for the first time in a long time. Another vote for Perry.

gophergirl on December 7, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Go Perry. Perry 2012, the only true proven conservative choice is Perry.

Let’s take the wrecking ball to Washington.

bzip on December 7, 2011 at 9:49 AM

>>Obama would eat Perry for a snack.

Brett Baier ate Mitt Romney for dessert.

The MSM is going to have Newt for dinner.

Y-not on December 7, 2011 at 9:49 AM

I don’t understand the preferred Vice President block.

Cindy Munford on December 7, 2011 at 9:49 AM

It’s really nice to see online poll results that have not been super spammed by a fringe candidate’s followers.

myrenovations on December 7, 2011 at 9:50 AM

No love for Huntsman?
I am disappoint.

Aizen on December 7, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Ditto.

Man do I know he’s walking a pretty tight line right now, so I’m hoping he just gets better and better.

I find this interesting, even with his low poll numbers and fundrasiing woes he’s still been able to keep his team intact, there’s been no reports – that I know of – of mass exodus of staffers. It might not be huge, maybe I’m reading the tea leafs the wrong way, but I find confidence in that little fact.

Go Rick. Go!

Rick Perry / Condi Rice 2012

Conger on December 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Perry 2012, lets get a true proven conservative in the white house this time. No more progressives.

bzip on December 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Obama would eat Perry for a snack.

andy85719 on December 7, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Have you ever heard Obama talk without a teleprompter???? The man struggles to say hello.

Besides, the debate is pointless. It has next to no effect on the election. Usually there is a small surge one way that drops off after a week.

jeffn21 on December 7, 2011 at 9:52 AM

By the way, how many of us Evil Perry Supporters read Damned Dirty RINO? I’ve been there maybe twice in a couple of weeks. Somehow I doubt that traffic from that site was more than a blip in Hot Air’s traffic.

Y-not on December 7, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I wonder andy, Mr thin skin can be touchy….

cmsinaz on December 7, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Perry!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Wow – I am so alone – I keep looking at Huntsman.

jake-the-goose on December 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Hey, I’d like a Perry presidency.
Cain supporters to Perry.

Up for grabs.

(Jake– you can still have hope…)

balkanmom on December 7, 2011 at 9:56 AM

It’s hard for me to take a second look at Perry. Aside from any policy concerns I have with him, the whole “don’t elect me if you want a slick debater” approach is really unappealing to me. I don’t want just a slick debater, but I do want someone that is going to be able to perform well in their debates with Obama.

MNcommonsense on December 7, 2011 at 9:56 AM

seeing poll results like this makes my head hurt! the overwhelming majority of voters identify as conservative or very conservative yet somehow gingrich is leading handily. so on a political blog the readers are very politcally ignorant. newt is NOT a conservative, he’s just barely republican. but i guess the readers of this blog think we need a candidate willing to get scrappy w/ the press instead of one that will advance a conservative agenda.

chasdal on December 7, 2011 at 9:56 AM

hahaha! Like Palin, the less Perry speaks, the better he does. He should learn sign language!

csdeven on December 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM

jeffn21 on December 7, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Not quite sure you’re right about that. I seem to remember Regan making another weak, loser incumbant president look like an idiot in a debate. It propelled him to a huge victory.

dirtseller on December 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Perry!

annoyinglittletwerp on December 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Well, he does have three major things going for him….

Nahhh, too easy.

PetecminMd on December 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM

chasdal on December 7, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Disagreeing again. Contract With America was VERY conservative. Balancing 4 budgets was VERY conservative. Reforming welfare waas VERY conservative.

dirtseller on December 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM

csdeven on December 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM

People like the idea of Perry better than the reality of Perry. I know I did.

Concept Perry 2012!

Spannerhead on December 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM

@theish you don’t think the supporters of other candidates were organized in the past? I’m not sure this is unique to Perry supporters. Maybe you were looking at other supporter websites for previous polls though.

That said, Go Perry!

kerrhome on December 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Newt! That said, something ain’t right about the coding for the preferred VP. It’s coming up funky.

BTW, I’m a newb so: Howdy!

Speakeasy on December 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM

jeffn21 on December 7, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Unless of course he has another “oops” moment. Not only will it be unfairly used and replayed on every news show to attack his intelligence, he will get a big ole’ helping of the SNL treatment. (Granted whoever is the GOP nominee will get the SNL treatment, but let’s not make it any easier for those already lazy writers.)

MNcommonsense on December 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM

test…hi!

peachaeo on December 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Obama would eat Perry for a snack.
andy85719 on December 7, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I think Libs call it tapas.

conservative pilgrim on December 7, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Wow – I am so alone – I keep looking at Huntsman.

I gave him a hard look when he entered the race, because on paper he’s a strong candidate. It was frustrating that none of the conservative sites I read did a serious analysis of him.

Anyway, I moved to Utah a year and change ago, so I am fortunate to be able to talk with Utahns (most of whom supported Huntsman for governor) in addition to reading up on him. My impression, after reading and listening, is that the reason Utahns reject Huntsman’s POTUS candidacy (he got reamed by Romney in a poll earlier this year something like 80% Mitt vs 15% Huntsman) is that he developed a reputation for being untrustworthy.

In terms of governance, Huntsman is to the right of Romney. He’s been really consistently pro-life, is very pro gun rights, and has a much more radical tax plan than Mitt. Even his stance on gay issues is to the right of Mitt — he’s never kowtowed to the Log Cabin folks, as far as I can see, and his support of civil unions is pretty mainstream.

But Huntsman signed Utah up for a carbon credits thing and the thing that really pissed people off is that he campaigned as being for school vouchers but when push came to shove he folded.

So the Utahns I’ve spoken with don’t reject him because he’s too liberal (their willingness to support Mitt is an indication that Utahns are relatively moderate Republicans), but they don’t trust the guy. I think it’s telling that neither Jason Chaffetz, who used to work for Huntsman, and Gov. Herbert, who was Huntsman’s Lt. Gov., endorsed him.

On top of that, I have yet to hear what Huntsman thinks he achieved as ambassador to China. So it’s becoming harder to credit his foreign policy chops (he was also in several GOP administrations) as anything other than political patronage because of his rich dad… as well as being a smart business move to aid the Huntsman Corporation’s investments in the East.

Y-not on December 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Perry’s supporters were better-organized this round

They’re going the “Ron Paul!” route, lol.

whatcat on December 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM

After Cain dropped out, it looks like everyone went up in the polls, except Gingrich.

dernst2 on December 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM

PetecminMd on December 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM

At least he appears to know which state he’s in (Obama said Texas in Kansas yesterday) and that there is only 50 states, not 57/58.

Why focus on trivial issues like this when conservative principles, record and future plans are so much more important?

kerrhome on December 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Wow – I am so alone – I keep looking at Huntsman.
jake-the-goose on December 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM

You have a friend in Abby Adams. ;-)

conservative pilgrim on December 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM

This is GODD NEWS! Perry may have overcome his brain freeze and be able to relaunch his campaign. Actually, I think he already has. Look to South Carolina for confirmation.

Nelsa on December 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Interesting. Newt trending down while Perry is trending up. Should be an interesting December. Cheers -

agimarc on December 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM

chasdal on December 7, 2011 at 9:56 AM

We had a balanced budget in the 90′s – actually a surplus. So who exactly was responsible for that?

A. Slick Willie

B. Newt Gingrich

C. Zombie Lawn Gnome Reagan

- Cuz it’s one of those.

HondaV65 on December 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM

dirtseller on December 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM

he NEVER balanced any budget. this whole crap of washington math and claiming he did is bunk.

supporting amnesty is not conservative, accusing ryan’s plan of being “right wing” engineering is not conservative, voting for the dept of education is not conservative, voting to fund NEA is not conservative, supporting the medicare drug entitlement is not conservative, supportin fannie/freddie is not conservative.

chasdal on December 7, 2011 at 10:08 AM

whatcat on December 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Only voted once.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 7, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Perry supporters will be better organized all the way to the polls!

#PerryReboot

publiuspen on December 7, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I’d like to see more support for Mitch Daniels as a VP candidate in the next poll please! Let’s get real, we need a Republican groomed for the 2016 contest or 2020 contest, if President Gingrich wins a second term. Mitch Daniels is a great governor, as is Bob McDonnell. Either could take the reins and slap liberals silly.

ExpressoBold on December 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Does anyone recall total ‘votes’ cast last time? IIRC it was well above the ~4800 cast this time. Wouldn’t that argue against an alleged spamming of the poll?

Y-not on December 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Patrick,

Why was the age table not normalized? Is that not the preferred format?

To break up the age information a bit…

Gingrich is first in all age brackets except the youngest, where Paul inches him out. Perry is third in the youngest bracket, and second everywhere else. Romney can get no more than 18% of any age demographic (and that is 26-35 yo).

Further, there are two distinct patterns to the age demographics. Either the curve peaks in the second-to-last category, or the curve peaks very early.

The candidates that belong to the first category are Bachmann, Gingrich, Perry, and Santorum. The candidates that belong to the second category are Huntsman, Johnson, Paul, and Romney.

I find that quite interesting.

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM

HondaV65 on December 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM

according to this chart the deficit has grown every year. a balanced budget would mean at least one year it should have remained static. its smoke and mirrors washington style.

chasdal on December 7, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I’d like to see where Mitt followers would land if the only choice given was between Perry and Gingrich. Just curious… Anyone wanna give it a go?

Fallon on December 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM

chasdal on December 7, 2011 at 9:56 AM

False choice argument fail.

fossten on December 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I was clearing out my dvr backlog overnight and was listening to a lot of the foxnews evening shows from this week. Huntsman was being interviewed and he sounded exactly like Romney (voice, speaking mannerisms). I thought I was listening to Romney and looked up from my computer and Huntsman was on my tv.

I guess they are really interchangeable.

karenhasfreedom on December 7, 2011 at 10:19 AM

The new Perry ad marks a new low. Demonizing gay soldiers to score cheap political points? Revolting. Wait till he has another painful brain freeze. Perry dish as are clueless.

andy85719 on December 7, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Fallon, I can do the manipulations in the demographic data and ‘move’ Romney’s voters to another option. The specific data needed is the number of voters whose first-choice was Romney, and the relative proportions of them who would go for Gingrich or Perry.

The easy answer is ‘Gingrich’. Gingrich beats Perry in every demographic.

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Y-not on December 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Yes, but he governed in a very conservative red state, so it’s not really a fair comparison. What I don’t like about Huntsman is that he comes across as petty and vindictive.

Buy Danish on December 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I’m leary of Gingrich. He’s great in the debates. He has a command of the facts. He says the right things. But the chinks in his armor are showing as evidenced in his interview with Glen Beck and I’m not sure he will do as he says. Or, he will do as he says and even more that we didn’t bargain for.

Perry isn’t the best debater but I believe his conservative credentials are solid as are Santorum’s and Bachman’s. This country has chosen their candidates by their oratory skills and/or looks but in many cases have proven a disappointment.

Obama was an empty suit from the get go but yet there were many who willingly believed the lies he told and many continue to do so to this day. We don’t need to go down that road again even if it’s a Republican candidate.

Hopefully, we won’t let the left, lying, mainstream media influence our decisions.

It’s time for the silent portion of the Tea Party to put their teacups and teapots down and start some movement to counteract the left’s lies and innuendos. What happened to Herman Cain was the lowest and slimiest of political attacks we’ve seen in a long time and it’s going to get worse.

iamsaved on December 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM

whatcat on December 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Only voted once.
annoyinglittletwerp on December 7, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I’m thinking more of the call (per the link in the post) for y’all go over to HotAir and freep the poll. Pure RonPaulian – as is the shared belief that freeping an online poll at some website means anything in the real world. Would be silly for any supporter of any candidate, but previously RP had sole rights to it.

whatcat on December 7, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Is no one else surprised that the people who should have the best memory of Gingrich’s issues while being Speaker are his strongest supporters?

I am also surprised that the ‘electability’ / ‘moderate’ argument apparently works best on the younger demographics.

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Go Perry!!!!

nyclakerfan on December 7, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Wasn’t there a Palin question in this poll?

senrex on December 7, 2011 at 10:28 AM

ExpressoBold on December 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I think we need some diversity in that VP slot.
Rubio will do just fine.
West maybe.
The dems need to lose the minority monopoly. And fast.

balkanmom on December 7, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Who is the 65 and over participant who was the single vote for Johnson?

Oh wait – that was me. Hey, I figured the guy needed at least one vote.

Teafran on December 7, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Huh. It would seem the current vitriol between the Romney and Gingrich camps would prove otherwise. Thanks.

Fallon on December 7, 2011 at 10:29 AM

BTW, I’m a newb so: Howdy!

Speakeasy on December 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM

test…hi!

peachaeo on December 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Hello there!

tinkerthinker on December 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM

andy85719 on December 7, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I didn’t see that? Which new ad?

nyclakerfan on December 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Go Rick Perry! We can do better than Mitt/Newt!

kerrhome on December 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I shudder to think of the debate between Obama and Perry.

stenwin77 on December 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM

dirtseller on December 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM

That was 30 years ago. To be more recent Bush-Kerry or Bush-Gore. I don’t know that Bush did that awful, but all the commentators said Gore and Kerry won them all. I thought McCain beat Obama in the debates as well. People get more news from Facebook, Yahoo, and political sites like HA than anywhere else today. Then there are the masses who watch network news. Which will always go liberal.

Debates seem to go like this: Liberals think the liberal won, Conservatives think the Conservative won. Independents were watching Jersey Shore or House Wives of some city I don’t care to visit.

jeffn21 on December 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM

balkanmom: The correct method to destroy the Democrat monopoly on minority votes is to show them what Democrat policy does to them.

An incorrect method is to attempt to out-pander to those groups.

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:31 AM

dirtseller on December 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM

The book was his but not the policy produced by the GOP. He was not even present when it was formulated.

Kermit on December 7, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I remember…

the first GOP majority in decades,
the only balanced budget FOUR TIMES in my lifetime,
the only entitlement reform in my lifetime,
the Speaker being Palinized long before Sarah ever was.

Yep, I remember.

stenwin77 on December 7, 2011 at 10:32 AM

stenwin77 on December 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM

“We have produced JOBS while reducing emissions. What is your track record?”

Foreign Policy, “You helped the Muslim Brotherhood take control of Egypt.”

Kermit on December 7, 2011 at 10:33 AM

That’s what I didn’t like about him, too, but since Jon is the only one to really take Romney to task, I’m starting to appreciate that aspect of his personality. Everyone else who criticizes Mitt is accused of bigotry (most notably Perry), but Jon is insulated from that. He’s a useful idiot — at this point I may toss him a few bucks to keep him in the game.

As for the fairness of the comparison… Romney managed Massachusetts effectively, but he did not move it to the right. Nor did he become a voice for conservative causes the way a Gov. Scott or Gov. Christie have. Romney was a one-term governor — so why the caution on his part? And, once he left office, why not take up the mantle of conservative causes (or at least pick one, like health care) as a pundit or running a think-tank or foundation. He used his resources to support candidates, primarily for political markers that he’s calling in now. I’ve concluded that he is at his core a centrist (at best) or a McCain 2.0 (more likely).

And, to be frank, I don’t like Romney. I never followed the details of the 2008 primary so I didn’t understand the accusations against Romney’s camp re Fred! etcetera, but now I do. I think he’s a weasel and I think that showed in his Bret Baier interview.

Y-not on December 7, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Fallon on December 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Probably to ObamaCare !

stenwin77 on December 7, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Then why are the other GOP members of the House, who served with him, onboard?

Kermit on December 7, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Fallon: Having witnessed this entire string of… silliness that we call the primary season, the Romney camp have always attacked the other frontrunner, whoever it is or has appeared to be. The Not-Romney camp has generally coalesced and attacked Romney.

I am not sure why Patrick asks the ‘down to 2′ questions. Simply ask the polltakers to rank the current slate of candidates. From there, you can find out any pared-down ranking. It would be interesting to then ask the ‘down to 2′ questions separately, and use them to check on people’s rationality.

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Hi you all! I just registered today at hot air, happy to be part of the family! I am a Conservative but was not involved in politics before Obama was elected, since I am in the commercial real estate business I saw first hand what happened to our economy, and started to realize that america voted for an empty suit with no experience and only knows how to talk what we want to hear! I remember saying 3 years ago that only the democrats can choose a nominee with no substance at all! but we as conservatives are people of ideas and substance would and never do that.

Well, I am very sad to see that we are falling for the same in 2012 if the polls are correct! our choice is coming down to mitt & newt? 2 candidates who can talk the talk but didn’t walked the walk when they were in power? in my opinion the choice between mitt & Newt is a choice between flip & flop!

We have a candidate in Gov. Perry who actually walked the walk and did what we as conservatives expect our leaders to do and proudly so, and we are willing to let him go for some nice talk? are we willing to choose talkers instead of walkers in a time when america needs desperately a real conservative to change course? and do we really think that mitt or newt will win against Obama with the flip flops and the baggage?? I hope we will wake up before its to late!

I hope this survey is a sign of thinks to come, and we are slowly waking up, I just hope it shouldn’t be to late!

Nathan NY on December 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM

How about Newt/Mitt? Might be unbeatable!

tinkerthinker on December 7, 2011 at 10:36 AM

whatcat on December 7, 2011 at 10:24 AM

It should be easy enough for you to prove your hypothesis (or at least support it) by looking at votes cast and the site traffic for Damned Dirty RINO’s blog.

Y-not on December 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Kermit: I am not sure what you are saying, here. I am not saying I disapprove of Gingrich’s support. (That would be futile.) And I would personally support Gingrich before some other candidates. It is just surprising to me, that is all.

The tone of my 10:26 post was “wow, who’da thunk”, and not “people, please wake up and realize what you’re doing”.

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM

jeffn21 on December 7, 2011 at 9:52 AM

MNcommonsense on December 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM

All Rick Perry would have to do is stand up there scratching his jaw again, staring into space, and wondering what “the third department I would cut” was, and the election would be all over.

MrLynn on December 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM

They did not find him to be that conservative OR a real leader.

He was not even there when the Contract was drafted.

Kermit on December 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Tinker: I rather doubt Romney would be okay being just VP. Romney/Gingrich makes much more sense, given the only real duty the VP is given in the Constitution.

Question for people. The VP is still by the Constitution the President of the Senate, and therefore by right can run the parliamentary procedure of the Senate… correct?

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Nelsa on December 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM

You didn’t watch the H8uckabee debate did you?

csdeven on December 7, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Kermit: I do not understand your first comment, in that case. Are you wondering why the representatives back then are NOT onboard? Could you please explain that comment?

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Hummm..you may be on to something..very interesting…I can see heads exploding..

tinkerthinker on December 7, 2011 at 10:45 AM

newt was kicked out of his position as speaker and quit in a huff, he’s the male sarah palin. well except she showed leadership skills before she quit. newt was so pathetic the house GOP revolted. you want that kinda leader in the white house?

chasdal on December 7, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Newtie took credit for the work of others. He did not come up with the Contract, and was not even around when it was written. He was such a great leader that the GOP controlled House and Ethics Committee, took him to task in 1997. That was not a Pelosi or Dem doing. He resigned, as Speaker, in disgrace.

Stop listening to “starry eyed” Sean Hannity.

Kermit on December 7, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Tinker: The powers of the VP as President of the Senate have not been used in many years, to my knowledge. However, if those rules are still extant (and I have not heard any amendments to that effect), then taking the Senate is not necessary. The only requirement would be to have a VP who has a solid grasp of parliamentary procedure.

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:47 AM

How about Newt/Mitt? Might be unbeatable!

tinkerthinker on December 7, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Two guys I don’t want to vote for in the primary… I guess two wrongs make a right.

Time to go do laundry.

Fallon on December 7, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Kermit: I do not listen to Hannity. Thanks, though. I still prefer Gingrich (a moderate RINO who will attack the Democrats) to Romney (a moderate I cannot trust when he says the sky is blue who will not attack Democrats).

However, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that it does not matter which candidate we have. Obama will win. It’s the Chicago Way, after all.

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I paid very close attention and was active in Newt’s American Solutions Webwide weekend in 2007. Big Government was definitely his stance, along with whatever latest polling showed.

Kermit on December 7, 2011 at 10:56 AM

An incorrect method is to attempt to out-pander to those groups.

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:31 AM

It’s not out-pandering to have a diverse ticket. It helps to knock out the “racist” label that the dems have given the GOP.
Having a diverse ticket is actually just plain honest, as it shows the truth that we are not racist.

balkanmom on December 7, 2011 at 10:58 AM

NEWT is OBAMA with ideas, a head of white hair and a gut.

NO NO NO

PappyD61 on December 7, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Perry/Ryan 2012

Perry/Rubio 2012

Perry/Gingrich 2012

Make it so.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on December 7, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Nelsa on December 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM
You didn’t watch the H8uckabee debate did you?

csdeven on December 7, 2011 at 10:41 AM

The one where Ken Cuccinelli was impressed with him? That one?

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on December 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM

If you doubt Rick Perry’s campaigning ability I suggest you watch:

Rick Perry with Sean Hannity Freedom Concert (taken in August 2010)

Rick Perry could easily take Obama on in 2012. Just by record alone Perry can make a huge contrast between Perry’s conservative record and Obama’s socialist record.

Perry 2012

bzip on December 7, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Wow I am beginning to think a Gingrich/Perry ticket might be fairly conservative and appears to garner 63+ percent of the vote here. Gingrich can work on reforming the system and Perry and work the energy angle. So NEwt eliminates government waste, reduces regulation making it easier on business and Perry helps by “putting fuel on the fire”!!! And fire this economy and our self respect back up!!!!

RedLizard64 on December 7, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Why ignore Palin after pointing out her influence in the previous poll?

ChuckTX on December 7, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Finally, made it here. You guys sure know how to marinate your followers. :)

Anyway, it’s been a while since I wanted to voice my opinion. I know Mitt Romney is about as popular among conservative commenters as a paid toilet in Scotland but you guys should realize that he makes a lousy nominee but a fantastic VP pick. Executive experience, check. Decent debate skills, check. New England voting boost, check. Good financial standing, check. GOP honchos’ support, check. Post-nomination GOP split cure, check. What’s not to love?

Archivarix on December 7, 2011 at 11:10 AM

After years and years of waiting- im finally registered!

poljunkie51 on December 7, 2011 at 11:10 AM

If you worry about Newt and despise Mitt ( like me), then Perry is the only hope left.
The interesting thing is that with 11 months to go, Perry would have time to get better before the Obama debates and frankly would just need to hold his own.
I want to believe.

jjshaka on December 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM

The one where Ken Cuccinelli was impressed with him? That one?

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on December 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM

The one where a person actually watches Perry stumble around trying drag his copy of the constitution out of his pocket because he forgot what to say. The one where they had to drag him back on topic several times because he went off on his talking points every time he didn’t know how to answer the question.

Yeah, that one.

csdeven on December 7, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Anyone wanna buy a dozen Perry caps and tshirts?

iam7545r on December 7, 2011 at 11:17 AM

RedLizard64 on December 7, 2011 at 11:07 AM

That might work. A Perry/Biden debate would be a debate Perry could break even in.

csdeven on December 7, 2011 at 11:18 AM