Hot Air Snap Survey Results

posted at 9:40 am on December 7, 2011 by Patrick Ishmael

We have some movement here, but the “why” is subject to some debate. The December survey suggested that Newt Gingrich would gain some Cain votes after Cain got out. That might have played out, but ultimately it was overwhelmed by an influx of Rick Perry voters, who provided their candidate with a bit of a spike. Two things might account for that: 1.) Perry’s supporters were better-organized this round, and 2.) voters got a sneak peak at the survey’s real-time results because I accidentally left that box ticked, meaning motivated groups of voters knew the sort of ground they needed to make up to make things interesting.

All that said, there weren’t that many attempts at double-voting from anybody, so while it’s relevant to note the nuanced differences in the circumstances of this particular survey, I’m quite comfortable that the rules were followed as intended. Will Rick Perry’s stock continue to rise? Only time will tell.

One final table of note, and then the full results: Candidates’ voters, by age.

Full results follow:

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama would eat Perry for a snack.

andy85719 on December 7, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I would love to see the two head to head. It would certainly serve to demonstrate what a pompous, arrogant, socialist a-hole Obozo is. I think people would gravitate to Perry because he’s one of them………normal people type person.

stacman on December 7, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I see new Perry posters YEAH!

Welcome to all of you :)

gophergirl on December 7, 2011 at 11:23 AM

No love for Huntsman?
I am disappoint.

Aizen on December 7, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Wow – I am so alone – I keep looking at Huntsman.

jake-the-goose on December 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I… I… I am not alone. *tears* :-)

You have a friend in Abby Adams. ;-)

conservative pilgrim on December 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM

:-)

Abby Adams on December 7, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Where’s all da women-folk?

Tim_CA on December 7, 2011 at 11:24 AM

It’s really sad to look at that chart and see that hotair readers have fallen for the media game of “inflate and bust” used against the anti-Romney candidates. The media is blowing up balloons and popping them in an effort to fragment support.

It doesn’t matter anyway, since you’ll end up with a nominee who supports your neoconservative foreign policy and police state tactics. So much for being freedom loving Conservatives since you clearly give up your freedom for a false sense of security.

popularpeoplesfront on December 7, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Scott H on December 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Almost liek a dividing line …say between somewhat to fairly conservative and somewhat to fairly liberal…hmmm

RedLizard64 on December 7, 2011 at 11:27 AM

You all give Obozo more credit than he deserves when it comes to debating. Without a tele-prompter Obozo is the master of “Uh”…

stacman on December 7, 2011 at 11:31 AM

popularpeoplesfront on December 7, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I think you’re reading it all wrong. Cain, Perry, Palin, and Paul all self immolated. The LSM simply reported on it.

csdeven on December 7, 2011 at 11:36 AM

csdeven on December 7, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I think that there is an eliment to Perry that doesn’t like to fight his own, if you will, that is why his attack on Romeny went wide, but if that energy were harnessed against the true foes (Biden), Perry would fair well because he knows he would not have to coush his words or anything and he would struggle less when attacking…just my 2 cents.

RedLizard64 on December 7, 2011 at 11:41 AM

stacman on December 7, 2011 at 11:31 AM

elections arent won or lost on debates. even the kennedy nixon debate didnt sink nixon. it was a close election that was turned on democrat voter fraud.

chasdal on December 7, 2011 at 11:44 AM

For all the Romney people that I see flaming other candidiates in this thread- you might want to tell your guy to “man up” and do interviews and actually act like you want to earn it.
I’m sick and tired of being told who I need to nominate- I still have the Bob Dole & John McCain tire tracks on my back.

jjshaka on December 7, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I think Romney might as well fold up his chairs and go home. Social moderates to left leaners aren’t going to give him the numbers he needs to move up…again, and he just is not what this country needs.

Neither is Gingrich. Back to Perry. I’m starting to feel like a flip flopper.

Wolfmoon on December 7, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Perry/Rubio 2012 because you know Newt is going to cheat on you.

NickDeringer on December 7, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Perry isn’t the best debater …

iamsaved on December 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM

That’s like saying Stephen Hawking isn’t the best Running Back.

hahaha! Like Palin, the less Perry speaks, the better he does. He should learn sign language!

csdeven on December 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM

People like the idea of Perry better than the reality of Perry.

Concept Perry 2012!

Spannerhead on December 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM

LOL! Sign Language Concept Perry 2012! Good stuff, ya’ll.

nottakingsides on December 7, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Every dog in this race has baggage, Obama included, I think we have to some extent allowed the discussion to be dominated by the negative (I know, I know) but it should not have been as easy to chase a candidate out of the race as it was with Cain, no need to argue with his policy ideas, just bring up past indiscretions.

I am more comfortable with any candidate that we know of all their skeletons, than the ones we have no idea what is hiding in their closet, the amount of effort it takes to keep the skeletons buried to maintain the “perfect” image is more worrisome to me

dutch love on December 7, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Why are HA commenters trying to emulate Koskids?

I’m a Perry supporter. I voted once and then went back to work. Don’t have time for multiple voting games, as is probably the case with most Perry supporters.

Frankly, the position of some HA bloggers towards Perry and Perry supporters is offensive. None of the GOP candidates are dart-proof, but Perry has enjoyed a real bashing here, undeservedly. I don’t mind criticism, but the infantile discourse and ridiculous biases here are off-putting.

Just like Fox News, it will cost reliable “viewers”.

eaglesdontflock on December 7, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Just like Fox News, it will cost reliable “viewers”.

eaglesdontflock on December 7, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Be real now, Perry has deserved some of the bashing he got.

He has more than his share of haters mainly because they see him as a true competitor. And they cannot say good things about their chosen candidate.

cozmo on December 7, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I do think if Bachman and santorum drop out most of their support will go to Perry. I also think debates dont always matter but they can. Perry can only lower expecrations so much. A moment like the I cant remember would be devastating and the media would play it over and over. Dan Quayle couldnt spell potato and they killed him over it. No matter how many uhs and ums Obama does hes going to get a pass. Fair or not thats reality. I also cant stand the gays in the military ad either. All three have big negatives. Im usually not a fence sitter but its hard to get behind any of them.

ldbgcoleman on December 7, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I agree with idbgcloeman that when Bachman and Santorum bow out, not only their supporters will mostly flow to Perry, they may very well both endorse Perry. And as more reminders about Newt’s inconsistencies come about, the more former Cain supporters who first flocked to Newt will switch back to Perry.

It’s basically a 3-man race: Newt, Romney and Perry. And things won’t shack out until after Super Tuesday: March 6.

TrubadorMike on December 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Wow – I am so alone – I keep looking at Huntsman.

jake-the-goose on December 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM

you are not alone. my ideal ticket would be Huntsman/Paul. not trolling either, this is my legitimate opinion

Albert T. Tappman on December 7, 2011 at 12:43 PM

LOL! Sign Language Concept Perry 2012! Good stuff, ya’ll.

nottakingsides on December 7, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Can you imagine Perry using sign language and still forgetting his own plans for the country?

lol

csdeven on December 7, 2011 at 12:47 PM

TrubadorMike on December 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Their supporters look like a good fit, and Santorum might. Bachman blames Perry for knocking her down in the polls and is the grudge holding type that may choose Obama over Perry. A lot of her supporters are certainly that way.

I’m beginning to think this might still be a race in March. Haven’t had my primary vote count in quite a while.

cozmo on December 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM

If you werent a big Perry person to begin with, what has he done to win your over? Call us “heartless” for not agreeing with a weak sauce immigration stance? Make Bush like verbal gaffes that make him look like the “dumb” conservative stereotype? Debate ineptly and forget his own policies?

I wanted to like Perry but he still hasnt given me a reason to seriously consider him. His campaign has not been impressive and he is not nearly as polished as someone who has been chief executive of Texas for 10 years, should be.

He is not ready or able to run the kind of campaign it will take to beat Obama and his billion dollar war chest.

You add the fact that the Democrats would use Perry’s mannerisms, flaws, and accent to compare him to a still unpopular GW Bush and you have situation in which he would probably lose badly in the general election.

He might have the potential to be a good President but he is a terrible candidate.

alecj on December 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I sure hope that a great number of new commenter’s here today are female. We are in a vast minority around here!

As for Perry, I would vote for him over almost everyone else if he can get his rear in gear and get his poll numbers up.
L

letget on December 7, 2011 at 1:31 PM

For what it’s worth, when I took this survey and hit submit, Google Docs kept loading and loading and loading, and never went through. I hit the submit button one more time to try to get it to go, and it did the same thing. So I’m not sure if what I entered even took, or if it got nabbed twice. I got frustrated and closed the tab.

robertlbryant on December 7, 2011 at 2:32 PM

popularpeoplesfront on December 7, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Looks like some fresh Paulbots fell off of the fruit wagon today. Fun.

stefanite on December 7, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Can it be empirically proven that the Perry posters were “out in force” (to use my own phrase)?

For someone like me, the Newt-ster’s my main choice, but I’d have zero problems with picking Perry secondarily, and I’d have an exceptionally, exponentially, dramatically (!) unenthusiastic time voting for Romney, either way.

Phil_GA on December 7, 2011 at 4:20 PM

lol

csdeven on December 7, 2011 at 12:47 PM

LOL!!!

What is “oooops” in sign language?

nottakingsides on December 7, 2011 at 5:57 PM

I really really like/want Perry but could vote for Newt (NEVER EVER for ROMNEY)!

Pragmatic on December 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM

popularpeoplesfront on December 7, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Ding Ding Ding! we have our newest Commie Troll…as if it’s name didn’t give it away.

Get a job, son, and make enough of yourself that you can Go Galt!!

(man, they let anyone in this time…page hits must be down here at ‘Hot Gas’)

Who is John Galt on December 7, 2011 at 9:20 PM

popularpeoplesfront on December 7, 2011 at 11:26 AM

New drinking game/bet – 14 days this poster gets banned.

Have at least 6 drinks each day until it’s banned…minor liver damage, very minor. And if your drink is red wine, a small benefit to your health (very small).

Who is John Galt on December 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM

alecj on December 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Let them try. There is so much material on Obama and his gaffes that that would just backfire on the democrats, IMO. I really think the concern about Perry debating Obama is exaggerated.

NbyNW on December 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM

NbyNW on December 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Really? Who would use it? The media? Are you kidding they didn’t vet him the first time and they sure aren’t going to hurt him now. The Republican field? Please, everyone has this idea that repubs are above doing junk like that and they are even being advised to not attack him personally, see the story below. At what point are the gloves going to come off and people start treating scum like the scum it is? Just my opinion because I am so sick of this attitude that the right is above that and the left gets a free pass. There is way too much at stake in the next election to not take a harder line.

bbinfl on December 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Wow, great news for Perry! I actually only just now saw this post… woohoo! I’ve been a Perry supporter since June/July and I am going to stay that way come Hell or highwater.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on December 8, 2011 at 2:05 AM

The MSM is going to have Newt for dinner.

Y-not on December 7, 2011 at 9:49 AM

And they will be STUFFED to the gills after eating Newt, lol!

Aslans Girl on December 8, 2011 at 2:06 AM

These polls are becoming a joke when so many voters indicate they are “very enthusiastic” for the flavor of the week.

scotash on December 8, 2011 at 4:04 AM

Newt!

klauskannen on December 8, 2011 at 7:49 AM

Who is John Galt on December 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM

C’mon. Why would we back off on our drinking just for a potential troll?

TexasDan on December 8, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I enjoy watching Perry when he just lets one rip…

jacques.indabaux on December 9, 2011 at 7:09 PM