Donald Trump: “I really get nothing out of it”

posted at 3:20 pm on December 5, 2011 by Tina Korbe

The Donald has been in the limelight even more than usual lately.

Late last week, Newsmax announced that it will host a presidential debate Dec. 27 — and that Donald Trump will moderate it. That announcement made AP want to give up political writing — and sparked an equally impassioned reaction from countless other conservative pundits who couldn’t believe the 2012 Republican presidential candidates would agree to the debate — and so allow the primary to be made even more ridiculous than it has been up to this point.

Then, today, Regnery Publishing released the business magnate’s latest book, “Time to Get Tough: Making America No. 1 Again,” and Trump himself promoted it with a tweet betraying all the soft bigotry of low expectations.

“First there was the Declaration of Independence, then there was the Constitution,” Trump tweeted. “Now there is #TimeToGetTough. Available today.”

It’d be easy to think Trump kinda sorta enjoys the attention, but, as it turns out, he personally gets “nothing” out of putting himself in the limelight.

“I would say, Tina, that I get nothing out of it. Who cares if I sell a few more books?” Trump said to me today on a conference call with reporters. “If I can endorse a person who turns out to be a super president, that would be great — and that is what I get out of it. I get nothing else out of it, believe me. It’s a lot of work, it’s a lot of time, a lot of effort, and I really get nothing out of it. I don’t care about book sales because the book is going to do very well anyway. All of my books have done very well. What I get out of it is the satisfaction of trying to recommend somebody who’s going to be a great president.”

So there you have it — Trump didn’t offer to be circusmaster because he wanted to be at the center of the greatest show on earth. He offered because he wanted to be in a position to closely observe the candidates and bestow his endorsement in accordance with his observation.

Nor should his reality TV stardom disqualify him from being seen as “a serious person” who, as moderator, will ensure a substantive debate, he said. After all, he became a reality TV star because he first proved himself to be a successful businessman — and, to be a successful businessman, he had to be “serious.”

Trump won’t have the chance to moderate and observe all the candidates closely, though. Both Jon Huntsman and Ron Paul have said they’ll not participate in the Newsmax debate. No matter. Neither ever stood a chance of actually receiving the nomination in the first place, Trump said. He is particularly harsh on Huntsman.

“He could use a little show business to get his ratings up because his poll numbers are terrible,” Trump said. “It’s actually a good thing if he’s not there.”

In general, Trump looks forward to the debate, which he says will surely enjoy high ratings.

“Actually, I think it’s been very well-received,” he said. “It’s been very popular.”

Truthfully, from the minute I heard the Newsmax announcement, I haven’t understood the outrage at Trump’s involvement in the debate. Most of the debates so far have seemed to be designed with the express purpose of making the Republican candidates look as unprepared and unpresidential as possible — in no small part because they’ve been primarily moderated by MSM journos who, in all probability, want to ensure Obama’s reelection any way possible. What’s wrong with this change of pace? The Donald might not be believable when he says all he gets out of this (and other similar attention-seeking moves) is the satisfaction of nominating an able candidate — but he does seem believable when he says he thinks an Obama second term would be a disaster. (If he decides to run as a third party candidate, I’ll begin to doubt that, though.) And he does know how to bring the ratings.

Who knows? This might be just what we need to shake us out of the winter doldrums.

Comments

He’s moderating the debate because he loves his country himself.

FIFY

GarandFan on December 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Palin and Trump, two biggest attention wh0res out there.

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Bwahahahahahaha. The selfless Donald Trump! Bwhahahahaha.

Bill C on December 5, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Palin and Trump, two biggest attention wh0res out there.

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM

IMO, I really don’t see what Palin has done be close to what Trump has done.

Badger40 on December 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM

That is basically my opinion as well.

Trump is in it for the attention and the ratings but then so are the so-called ‘serious’ jounalists. Unlike the MSM Trump isn’t a Democrat party spokesman so why not?

sharrukin on December 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Palin and Trump, two biggest attention wh0res out there.

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM

The infatuation continues.

portlandon on December 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I’ll tell you how Trump works. hes already decided who he wants to support, but he wants to make the process appear sincere – much like his reality show.

Hes also convinced that his pick will win the primary and the general. That way he can assume credit.

tflst5 on December 5, 2011 at 3:27 PM

tflst5 on December 5, 2011 at 3:27 PM

And that differs from the media held debates in what way exactly?

sharrukin on December 5, 2011 at 3:28 PM

So what if Trump gets publicity? Explain to me how that will hinder the process if there is an honest debate?

I think everyone needs to simmer down. Good grief.

Oink on December 5, 2011 at 3:29 PM

As bad as I hate to say it, for fear of it coming up in my next job interview and me being skipped over, I rather enjoy Trump. Having a highly visible guy, with name recognition such as he does, out there loudly speaking against Obama certainly cannot hurt. And as bad as most pundits and many of us here at HA hate it when Trump mentions Obama’s fake birth certificate, I think that it still serves to instill a tiny bit of doubt into peoples minds.

I mean, it’s totally 100% proven beyond a shadow of a doubt a fake document (the pdf). That’s not to say that the image depicted in the pdf isn’t real (minus the changes made in the fake). It’s just that the media and the liberals and conservatives afraid of their scorn have made it to where you are ridiculed into silence at the BC’s mere mention.

preallocated on December 5, 2011 at 3:30 PM

If Newt is the only one that shows up for this debate…

Does he win?

Kini on December 5, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Note: my BC comment said nothing about his citizenship. I could care less about that issue, and am quite sure that the reality is that he was born in one of the states of America. My comment is about the validity of the released pdf containing the so-called long form BC.

preallocated on December 5, 2011 at 3:33 PM

IMO, I really don’t see what Palin has done be close to what Trump has done.

Badger40 on December 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Let’s start with the bus tour, then talk about the movie and DVD. Trump was never driving around in a bus collecting donations. Or selling a DVD about how great he is.

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Well, people did believe Cain was qualified for POTUS somehow. I’m sure Trump will have fans.

mythicknight on December 5, 2011 at 3:35 PM

preallocated on December 5, 2011 at 3:33 PM

It’s sad you feel you have to stress that point regarding your opinion.
I don’t care anymore one way or the other.
But since when is it criminal to doubt anything authority says?
Except for that probation office dude.

Badger40 on December 5, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Palin and Trump, two biggest attention wh0res out there.

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM

And what cheesy game show does Palin have?
Cheap shots from creeps that hardly understand the issues.

Kini on December 5, 2011 at 3:36 PM

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I personally have no problem with it.
Evidently you are. And bitterly so.
I see it as the only way to have truly gotten to know Palin since the smear job the media did.
I find nothing wrong with it.
I’d take a chill pill if I were.
Least she’s married to the same guy forever & has all her kids with him.
And she seems like a truly sincere & kind human being who loves her country.
Her personality is totally different from Trump.
I think you are the one with the problem getting so worked up over her.
Jeebus.

Badger40 on December 5, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Trump had better not tell any candidate he’s fired. That’s OUR decision, not the Donald’s.

Steve Z on December 5, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Donald Trump…what a giver. What, did he run out of bankruptcies to file?

Seriously, why does the GOP give this guy any attention?

JohnTant on December 5, 2011 at 3:40 PM

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Trump doesn’t have any convictions. Paling does.
Comparing Palin’s bus tour was about promoting a message. Trump is a freak show of self-absorbed, self-important, moobs and boobs, that make no impact on elections.

Palin also sold a book, you gonna throw stones at that also? Palin had a TV show, it promoted America. Trump promotes FOOLS!

If you cannot tell the difference between reality TV and farcical TV, then you need to limit you viewing to Saturday morning cartoons.

Kini on December 5, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I hear there is a class action suit being considered for hearing loss from the Jim Kramer moderated debate.

Cindy Munford on December 5, 2011 at 3:43 PM

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Is it within the realm of possibility that she was testing the waters for a run and found the water to bee too cold? How much money did she make from the DVD sales? I was under the impression every penny went to the guy who made it. Also, wouldn’t a true attention hog have run for president?

Kataklysmic on December 5, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Cindy Munford on December 5, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Heh

I can’t even listen to the guy for more than a minute or so.

sharrukin on December 5, 2011 at 3:44 PM

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 3:34 PM

If you type her name one more time csdeven will come and help you trash her. So it’s off thread, what the hey!!

Cindy Munford on December 5, 2011 at 3:44 PM

sharrukin on December 5, 2011 at 3:44 PM

You’re going to have to come up with a better story than that if you want some cash!!!

Cindy Munford on December 5, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Anyone’s who’s threatening a third party run has no business running our debate. Then there’s this classy move by Trump today. He’s in a tiff with a Huntsman, so he says he’s sure Huntsman will tell the truth, because he’s a Mormon.

Just say no to the creepy ugly narcissist, who BTW is also a Democrat.

juliesa on December 5, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Palin and Trump, two biggest attention wh0res out there.

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM

you must have mommy issues….

idesign on December 5, 2011 at 3:51 PM

juliesa on December 5, 2011 at 3:46 PM

What about being in the debates? Ron Paul and Gary Johnson have both run third party, or threatened to do so.

sharrukin on December 5, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Both Newt and the Donald love to hear themselves talk.

That’s why they like each other.

Spathi on December 5, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I doubt that the Obamas will miss an opportunity to show up on Oprah’s couch. The day time talk show host basically launched Obama on air.

This isn’t the 1950s or 1960s. The Republican Party needs voters as many as they can get so there is nothing wrong with going against the “Old White Guy Party” perception..

Bill Clinton went on Arsenio Hall, and MTV.

Donald Trump is giving the candidates access to another demographic on NBC. The liberal media is down on Trump because of how he manipulated them over the Obama birth certificate issue, and whether he would run for President. The liberal media is shilling for Obama, and they don’t take kindly to being used by Trump. Donald Trump, who basically got Obama to do something no one else could do, produce his freaking long form birth certificate.

Huntsman and Paul won’t attend. That’s reinforcing the stodgy old stuffed shirts perception – the poster men for the Old White Guy Party (GOP) Lord knows Leroy Huntsman’s daughters have done their best to make their Dad appear with it, and relevant.

Dr Evil on December 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Palin’s bus tour was about promoting a message.

Kini on December 5, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Whatever that message was, I’m sure our country was blessed to have it. Now lets talk about how her PAC coffers were filled from the bus tour. And how she gave that PAC money to her parents and associates. Great message indeed.

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Show your work. Her PAC haul was inconsequential this past year as most of us true-believers were waiting to donate to her presidential campaign.

alwaysfiredup on December 5, 2011 at 4:03 PM

I’m waiting for the Palin hosted debate in AK… or AZ?

lexhamfox on December 5, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Great message indeed.

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM

You are free not to donate, as I am free to change the channel when Trump comes on.

Free thinking doesn’t suit you very well, does it?

Kini on December 5, 2011 at 4:07 PM

lexhamfox on December 5, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I’d actually like her to moderate a debate. I bet she would ask some questions that a lot of us really care about.

Cindy Munford on December 5, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Hmmm…

Palin raised around $1.6 mil for the 2012 cycle to date. She raised nearly $6 million in the 2010 cycle.

The PAC haul from her bus tour was inconsequential. She received no part of the revenue from “The Undefeated.”

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM

You need to find a new obsession.

alwaysfiredup on December 5, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Cindy Munford on December 5, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Imagine if Trump ditched Eason Jordan and replaced him with Palin.

A girl can dream, eh?

alwaysfiredup on December 5, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Has Romney or Perry agreed to this debate yet?

Mark1971 on December 5, 2011 at 4:12 PM

A girl can dream, eh?

alwaysfiredup on December 5, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Works for me, it’s not like Mr. Jordan’s credentials are anything to write home about.

Cindy Munford on December 5, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Mark1971 on December 5, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Wouldn’t any of the candidates who have met with him have a little trouble declining?

Cindy Munford on December 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Cindy Munford on December 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM

You would think, but I haven’t heard anything about them yet. An article I read this morning only mentioned that Gingrich, Santorum, and Bachmann had accepted.

Mark1971 on December 5, 2011 at 4:22 PM

This is rich…

Tina Korbe…

What you meant to say is that you didn’t understand the outrage until you listened to Rush tell you that you shouldn’t understand the outrage. This is pretty much exactly what Rush said on his show and you waited until after that show to pick up the narrative. Listen to Levin later, you’ll hear the echo continue.

We’re going to have a Birther, Self Promoting Fool be the moderator at a GOP Debate and that’s just fine. Because Rush says so, like he’s been right about anything recently.

AYNBLAND on December 5, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Because Rush says so, like he’s been right about anything recently.

AYNBLAND on December 5, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Or maybe people just disagree with you and they really aren’t part of a Rush Limbaugh cult at all.

sharrukin on December 5, 2011 at 4:26 PM

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Proof and link please.

karenhasfreedom on December 5, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Cavuto just interviewed Lunz about the Trump debate. Lunz is talking about the “likeability” factor of the GOP field and Gingrich comes in last in likeability in Iowa of the top 6 candidates (Cain was still factored in that poll).

He went on to mention that 65% of Americans LIKE Obama!!!

WTF???? Who are those 65%?

I get it that his hard core base of blacks and progressives “like” him. That amounts to just about 25%. Then you have the union hacks and “takers” for another 20% of so.

Who are the other 20% who “like” Obama?

I readily admit my ODS is off the charts at this time. I have to turn the channel everytime I see his face on my tv.

karenhasfreedom on December 5, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Cindy Munford on December 5, 2011 at 3:43 PM

..absolutely deliciously vicious, Cindy!

The War Planner on December 5, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Not serious should agree to participate in that charade.

Falz on December 5, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Mark1971 on December 5, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Did Gov. Romney met with Mr. Trump? I’m pretty sure that those who haven’t accepted have their damp fingers in the air. Sort of makes them look a bit wishy washy doesn’t it. Either you think it is a proper forum or you don’t.

Cindy Munford on December 5, 2011 at 4:48 PM

AYNBLAND on December 5, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Meh. Cheap shot, cheap outrage. I have no problem with Trump moderating the debate, and I don’t listen to Rush. Tina is basically echoing the sentiments of a lot of people. IMO, the fuss over this is silly.

joejm65 on December 5, 2011 at 4:50 PM

The PAC haul from her bus tour was inconsequential.

alwaysfiredup on December 5, 2011 at 4:10 PM

So was her message. That being “hey look at me, I need attention!” I know self promotion when I see it. Palin and Trump have the same appetite for it.

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 4:51 PM

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Move on goofy.

Cindy Munford on December 5, 2011 at 5:02 PM

That right there sums up the problem with American popular culture and what it means to politics and political leadership.

being “popular” is better than being right. We see it all of the time. The media reports “popular” and not factual, accurate whatever. Should the cast of “Jersey shore” moderate a debate because it would be “popular.” Maybe get Justin Bieber involved?

The reality show obsessed culture in America is starting to ruin everything. “dumbed-down” politics is what we have and what we deserve.

Ratings and popularity is everything in America. Whether it is Fox News or the lefty outlets its all about ratings and the result is an uninformed populace discussing Donald Trump and the Kardashians instead of what should really be discussed.

Its all over…

joey24007 on December 5, 2011 at 5:15 PM

That being “hey look at me, I need attention!” I know self promotion when I see it. Palin and Trump and Cain and Perry and Romney and Gingrich and Obama and Clinton (Bill and Hillary) and Johnson and Daniels and Christie and Hunstman and Huckabee and Paul and Bachmann and Santorum have the same appetite for it.

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I challenge you to show me a presidential candidate or wannabe who doesn’t want to be visible on a national level.

alwaysfiredup on December 5, 2011 at 5:20 PM

hanzblinx on December 5, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I think you’re mistaking Palin for Bachmann….

But who knows, you’re probably just have PDS.

idesign on December 5, 2011 at 5:23 PM

What’s wrong with this change of pace? The Donald might not be believable when he says all he gets out of this (and other similar attention-seeking moves) is the satisfaction of nominating an able candidate — but he does seem believable when he says he thinks an Obama second term would be a disaster. (If he decides to run as a third party candidate, I’ll begin to doubt that, though.) And he does know how to bring the ratings.

And what, pray tell, if at some point during the course of the debate Trump decides that these candidates are unacceptable and that duty calls him to run for President? Will he humiliate everyone on stage by telling them “You all suck. You’re fired. Trump 2012!”? We don’t know. No one knows. It is a HUGE risk.

To the extent we know anything about the man’s intentions, we know that he’s all about the ratings and that he likes to be the center of attention. And he has repeatedly threatened a 3rd-party bid. If he humiliates the Republican frontrunners in a high-profile broadcast one week before the Iowa caucuses, he will receive an ungodly amount of media attention, claim that the ensuing fallout in the primary shows his clout with voters, and undermine the candidacies of his potential competitors in the presidential race. How much do you trust Donald Trump?

Lawdawg86 on December 5, 2011 at 5:32 PM

But who knows, you’re probably just have PDS.

idesign on December 5, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I don’t think there is any “probably” about it.

Cindy Munford on December 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM

It feeds his ego.

lonestar1 on December 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Move on goofy.

Cindy Munford on December 5, 2011 at 5:02

Backatcha Cindy.
Newt and Trump went on camera to kiss each others posteriors today.
The Republicans are officially a reality TV party.

Move on, Cindy.

chumpThreads on December 5, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Donald Trump: “I really get nothing out of it”

Right, because Trump is well known for being more altruistic and less egoistic.

rukiddingme on December 5, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Donald Trump: “I really get nothing out of it”

Neither do we Donald, neither do we.

AZfederalist on December 5, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Trump: Still a step up from Scott Pelley and Jim Kramer.

BKennedy on December 6, 2011 at 7:32 AM

…and I get to talk about myself nonstop.

Kissmygrits on December 6, 2011 at 9:22 AM