Is “Tebowing” an attack on Christianity?

posted at 7:00 pm on December 4, 2011 by Howard Portnoy

The question that forms the title of this post has been getting a good bit of play in conservative circles of late. It was hinted at in a segment of FOX and Friends on Friday that featured NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Fran Tarkenton. And it is the main focus of a column by National Review Online news editor Daniel Foster that appeared on Saturday.

“Tebowing,” should the term be unfamiliar, takes its name from another quarterback, current Denver Broncos play caller Tim Tebow. More specifically, the term designates the now-viral mockery of his habit of kneeling down and bowing his head after a touchdown to commune with his God.

As Foster writes with more than a hint of indignation, Tebowing his become an Internet phenomenon, with its own website, a Twitter account, and most recently a YouTube video titled “Tebowing for Dummies.” At such sites, Foster continues:

[Y]ou can see an act of communion with one’s creator rendered as a bit of pop-cultural ephemera, [complete with] pictures of folks striking the pose everywhere from Oxford to Istanbul, with that muddle of irony and enthusiasm that has become my generation’s trademark.

Foster’s obvious pique at these send-ups derives in part from the fact of Tebow’s wholesomeness (he is in Foster’s words “squeaky clean, in a sport that notoriously is not”). Wherein, Foster insists, lies the origins of Tebowing. It is, in short, “the power of Tebow’s evangelical-Christian faith, and the earnestness with which he professes it [that] seems to annoy so many people.”

I’m going to have toss out my red challenge flag here. Foster may be right that for some people, the problem isn’t Tebow’s religiosity but the fact that professional sports are “so filled with clichéd Jesus praise that” fans doubt his sincerity. But I submit that for many who prefer to spend their Sundays watching the exquisite choreography of a perfectly executed screen pass, the problem is Tebow’s self-absorption.

Tebow is free to give “mad respect” to his lord, but I’d rather he do it on his own time. A number of players cross themselves on every play, but they do it discreetly — and expeditiously. Tebow’s prayer timeouts, by contrast, are as gratuitously in-your-face as the most flagrant end zone dance. And they last as long. Yet, according to his supporters, all of footballdom is supposed to give him a pass because his purpose is holy. Isn’t that what churches are for?

Another, subtler, ingredient in the widespread antipathy toward Tebow is that he is an anomaly. His success as an NFL quarterback (he is 4 and 1 since replacing Kyle Orton at the helm of the Broncos offense) doesn’t make sense to diehard football fans. His passing numbers — he has a 45% completion rate — are awful. His team is winning through a combination of razzle-dazzle and offensive schemes that haven’t been used by college, let alone NFL, coaches in two decades.

I am predicting that “this too shall pass” (to cite a proverb that Tebow should appreciate because of its religious roots). Sooner or later all 31 remaining teams in the league will develop defensive strategies to counter Denver’s pre-Knute Rockne offense, and Tebow — and Tebowing — will be gone.

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 19

5 and 1.

lorien1973 on December 4, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Um, it’s the option offense. It’s run by like 1/2 the college teams. No NFL team is really set up for the option offense, so it’s clunky, at best.

lorien1973 on December 4, 2011 at 7:04 PM

I don’t know who Tebow is besides being a football guy, and I have never heard of ‘Tebowing’ but the author of this post clearly has a problem with him.

sharrukin on December 4, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Allahpundit manages to treat his atheism with a light touch, not hiding his views but not mocking Christians/Christianity, either.

I’ve been reading Hot Air for a couple of years, and this is the first post I found openly mocking of a faith many readers here share. “Lord” is capitalized, as you would “Allah” and “Jesus” and “Muhammed”.

How disappointing.

Grace_is_sufficient on December 4, 2011 at 7:08 PM

6 and 1 after today. Now the Broncs are tied with Oakland (for the division) and Cincinnati (for the wildcard.) The Broncos have tiebreaker winners against both.

And the game was entertaining as all getout.

Greg Toombs on December 4, 2011 at 7:09 PM

the problem is Tebow’s self-absorption.

Self absorbed is never a word someone would ascribe to Tim Tebow. Never listened to guy speak, have you?

lorien1973 on December 4, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Tebowing doesn’t seem much different than Major League batters, mostly Hispanics, crossing themselves before they step into the batters box. Easier to make fun of Tebow because he’s just one guy.

RBMN on December 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Greg Toombs on December 4, 2011 at 7:09 PM

It’s 5-1 after today isn’t it? No you right 6-1. 1-4 going in. 6-1 since.

lorien1973 on December 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM

=========================

I honestly don’t get,why,it irratates,or p*ss’s off certain
people,if thats what Teebow does,to celebrate,and express him
self,so be it,I appauld it!!

And,connecting(commune)to God,by Teebow works (for him),
then,don’t try to fix sumpin that ain’t broken!!!!

Good Lord,where is the TOLERANCE!!

canopfor on December 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM

^^ AP doesn’t capitalize God all the time.

El_Terrible on December 4, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Wow, Howard, I couldn’t disagree with you more. As a fan of the Fun Bunch and The Howgs, I see nothing wrong with Mr. Tebow’s display. He is winning while being told he’s not the answer, I think a lot of people might want to rethink what the question is.

Cindy Munford on December 4, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Would it be that so horrible to just let Tebow do what makes HIM happy? I don’t watch football, but hubby does and it seems Tebow is doing well with his talents?
L

letget on December 4, 2011 at 7:14 PM

His passing numbers — he has a 45% completion rate — are awful.

Tim Tebow’s passing numbers are better than John Elway’s at similar points in their careers.

Discuss.

lorien1973 on December 4, 2011 at 7:14 PM

What? You can only pray in church if you don’t do so “discreetly and expeditiously”? Yeah, Tebow’s prayers are a little in-your-face, but I’m a little more weary of the perpetually outraged.

ddrintn on December 4, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I’d rather he do it on his own time.

Whose time is it? Yours?

Ronnie on December 4, 2011 at 7:14 PM

RBMN on December 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM

But Tebow isn’t a minority, so he must be destoryed…

Hog Wild on December 4, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I want to see the reaction if all of the NFL players put their different baby mommas and “jump-offs” in a burka.

SouthernGent on December 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Tebow wins games. At least this year. If he sucks next year. So be it. But right now; people need to lighten up. He’s a great story.

3rd string QB maybe leading his team to a division title after starting 1-4?

lorien1973 on December 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I think Foster was saying the opposite of what you think he said. The last sentence of his article makes clear that he believes people are troubled by Tebow’s displays of faith, not because they think he doesn’t mean it, but because they think he really does.

And since when is prayer to be confined to church? That’s like saying, “I’m fine with parents hugging their kids, as long as they just do it at home.”

mikeyboss on December 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Is “Tebowing” an attack on Christianity?

If the “Tebower” intends it to be.

itsnotaboutme on December 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM

RBMN on December 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM

If Tebow were black, we wouldn’t be having this discussion. Discuss.

ddrintn on December 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Also, what he’s doing is the opposite of “self-absorption”.

mikeyboss on December 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM

3rd string QB maybe leading his team to a division title after starting 1-4?

lorien1973 on December 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Reminds me of (fellow evangelical Christian) Kurt Warner’s breakout year.

itsnotaboutme on December 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I’d rather he do it on his own time.

AshleyTKing on December 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Tough sh*t. Not your call. Deal with it.

joejm65 on December 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Tebow is clearly genuine in his religious belief, but he should remember the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican. The Lord does not approve of overly ostentatious,”look at me, Lord” prayer.

xkaydet65 on December 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM

He happens to be a celebrity that gives thanks to his God in public a lot. The problem most of the talking heads have with him is that the only God a celebrity is allowed to worship in public is Lord Obama. I cheer him on every time I hear it for this reason alone. Good luck and God bless Tim.

Dawnsblood on December 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM

You’d think that in this age of easy-to-access information, people wouldn’t be saying that “this too shall pass” is religious and/or from the Bible, since it’s um…not in the Bible.

austex on December 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Meanwhile,speaking of FootBall………………………..
———————————————————–

Official: 13 injured, 2 critically, as fans storm field after Okla. State win over Oklahoma – AP
45 Minutes ago
****************
****************

VIDEO: Fans storm field, tear down goal posts at Oklahoma State game where at least 13 injured – Youtube
10 Minutes ago.
Hot
****

============================

2011 Big 12 Champions! Oklahoma State!!!!!
Uploaded on Dec. 3 2011
***********************

(Video-3:54 Min.length)

Tearing the goal post down!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

canopfor on December 4, 2011 at 4:09 AM

canopfor on December 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM

A larger number of players celebrate and dance like idiots when they make a simple play. When people start complaining about that, I’ll give the same to Teebow.

If Teebow was doing up twinkles and some dance to Mother Earth to save the polar bear, there wouldn’t be a fuss.

I don’t really get the “in your face” aspect of it. I don’t care for any sort of extra celebrations on the field, but anyone who thinks that Teebow isn’t getting special attention because of his religion, you are fooling yourselves.

The media is basically made up of the dimwitted, vapid “cool kids”. It’s fun to make fun of the so called squeaky-clean people. It’s remarkably immature.

Of course, in Teebow’s case you spoon in a nice helping of, “OMG he’s an evangelical – I must feel threatened!”.

reaganaut on December 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM

mikeyboss on December 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Good way to put it.

itsnotaboutme on December 4, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I hope Howard never sees us eating at a restaurant, I assume saying grace would flip him out.

Cindy Munford on December 4, 2011 at 7:18 PM

How did this end up on the main page?

salmonczar on December 4, 2011 at 7:19 PM

the problem is Tebow’s self-absorption.

If you think Tim Tebow is self-absorbed, you don’t grasp who he is, and, honestly, must have read very little about him.

I’m not sure how much you know about football, either. lorien already spoke re the offense used. As to passing stats, because a pass is incomplete isn’t always the quarterback’s fault.

Grace_is_sufficient on December 4, 2011 at 7:08 PM

makes an excellent point.

INC on December 4, 2011 at 7:19 PM

No one would have a word to say if Tebow were Muslim and bowing to Allah in the end zone. If people want to mock his faith, that’s free will, a gift from God to use for good or bad. Plenty of people are “Tebowing” not in mockery, but in unity with him. I am happy that he is bringing Christianity back to the public square and hope that he inspires others to be proud of their faith.

sandspur on December 4, 2011 at 7:19 PM

austex on December 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Yeah, sort of like hearing “Heaven helps those who help themselves…it’s in the Bible!!” I mean, good grief.

ddrintn on December 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Guess I gave him an extra “e”.

reaganaut on December 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Also, Tebow-ing is no less dumb than someone thanking God for winning a useless, self-promoting award (Grammy, Emmy, Oscar, etc.).

SouthernGent on December 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM

xkaydet65 on December 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Except that’s not the point of the parable.

Tebow doesn’t do this for show or to be ostentatious. He does it to publicly acknowledge the Lord.

INC on December 4, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Howard, how sad that a man displaying his faith, humility and gratitude discomfits you so. What is lacking in your life?

publiuspen on December 4, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Tebow’s self-absorption.

Gratitude is self-absorption? You may want to get tested by a mental health professional.

Ronnie on December 4, 2011 at 7:22 PM

You want to infringe on some one’s free speech just because you don’t agree with him. OK I get it, you want him to shut up…I’m glad he won’t.

tinkerthinker on December 4, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Portnoy’s complaint is pathetic. Hell Tebow is one of the most entertaining stories in the NFL today. A quarterback that is not NFL material kicking ass in the NFL is about as good as it gets. I find what he does on the field concerning his faith to be no more offensive than the dancing and weird movements made by the scoring players. No one seems to mind their antics. People like Portnoy have been making derogatory remarks about Tebow now for 7 weeks and you would think they would smarten up a little.

inspectorudy on December 4, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Nothing wrong at all with what Tim Tebow does. More power to him.

Mirimichi on December 4, 2011 at 7:23 PM

SouthernGent on December 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM

SouthernGent:Ya,with all the Jihadism,I wouldn’t be to keen,on
Allah Ack Bar,for every touch down.

You didn’t say that,just taking off,from your Burka
scenario!

Might as well,jump the shark,and add,(WTF)if a group
of Islamic cheerleaders did their signature tongue
wrabble leading to Ackbar thingy,for every touch down!
(lots of snark,on this one):)

canopfor on December 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM

In my opinion, a true sports,an doesn’t make any unusual display after scoring – because he expects to score and because any display would be unsportsmanlike – no matter whether it’s a dance or a simple humble bow down to the Creator.

That’s why I’d like to see all such displays penalized and I’d like to return to sportsmanship – no fist-pumping, no spiking, no nothing.

reliapundit on December 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Nothing wrong at all with what Tim Tebow does. More power to him.

Mirimichi on December 4, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Mirimichi:Amen!!!

canopfor on December 4, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Don’t forget Tebow committed the ultimate sin for the liberals when he made the anti-abortion commercial aired during last years Super Bowl.

Firmworm on December 4, 2011 at 7:26 PM

What about Sandy Koufax refusing to pitch on high holy days?

ddrintn on December 4, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Tough sh*t. Not your call. Deal with it.

joejm65 on December 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM

That about sums it up Howard.

Texican Ben on December 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Really? Does Tebow do this on the 50 yard line after a big play or discretely on the sideline so that the cameras have to show us to see it? The victory dance is all about the self, kneeling down is about God and realizing one’s proper place in relation to God. Hot Air might want to block any more posts punted from the “Green Room” by this author.

Blue Collar Todd on December 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Tebow absolutely not giving a f*** about what detractors think is what makes him far and away the coolest figure in sports right now.

Aside from Portnoy’s obvious lack of football erudition (the f***ing “read option” is RAZZLE DAZZLE?! It’s like the OPPOSITE of razzle-dazzle), his failure to understand that Tebow’s faith is genuine and his clear interest in justifying the leftist mockery makes this article a lot less about Tebow than it is about the author.

DrZin on December 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Thank you for your instruction on how we should practice our religion. It’s appreciated so much when someone from outside the religious community reminds us where our place is when we get all uppity and in-your-face about our beliefs.

It’s great to see that our faith is fine with you as long as we keep it in the shadows and only express things discreetly and expeditiously in public. Sorry for reminiding you that we exist.

Meanwhile, ironically, you feel free to boldly express in a public forum your belief that we shouldn’t boldly express our beliefs in public forums. Isn’t that what usenet is for?

29Victor on December 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM

SouthernGent on December 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM

A Pakistani bought the Jacksonville Jaguars last week (needs to be approved my owners/NFL) but the jokes have amazing and not all in good taste.

Cindy Munford on December 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Tebow is free to give “mad respect” to his lord, but I’d rather he do it on his own time. A number of players cross themselves on every play, but they do it discreetly — and expeditiously. … Isn’t that what churches are for?

Really awful post. Clearly Mr. Portnoy doesn’t have a clue about Christianity, generally, or Evangelical Christianity, specifically. Truly a sad and bigoted commentary.

besser tot als rot on December 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM

But….but…the Occupy Wall street Protester Goons/GoonEttes,
are allowed to express themselves,in any way possible and imposs
ible!

They can mock,anything under the sun,and they preach Tolerance/Love
Everybody/accept each other,and inexplicably perplexing,is that they threaten violence and mayhem ,and destruction all at the same time!!

Jus say’n!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on December 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Funny.

Every time an athlete points to himself after a touchdown or takes credit for his achievements I think “Isn’t that what humanist societies are for?”

29Victor on December 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM

OUTRAGEOUS! OMG! OMG!

Metro on December 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM

ddrintn on December 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Bingo. Half of these writers wouldn’t be going on about it.

Dongemaharu on December 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM

The Husband wants you to know, Mr. Portnoy, that the NFL is not a Democracy and even if it were, you still wouldn’t get a vote.

Cindy Munford on December 4, 2011 at 7:33 PM

ddrintn on December 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Oooh. I hate that. It’s completely antithetical to Scripture, but people think it’s in there and guide their lives by it.

29Victor on December 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Cindy, don’t you just know if the Jags had taken Tebow in the draft, they’d be selling tickets and winning games now.

sandspur on December 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM

29Victor on December 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM

+ 1

itsnotaboutme on December 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Here in Bronco-land, we don’t have a problem with a player who walks on the field and inspires our team to win. (And “inspire” is the word used by the other players, not me.)
Too bad the Portnoys of the world are so irritated by Tim Tebow’s personal beliefs and unconventional play that they cannot simply sit back and enjoy the excitement that this year’s Broncos bring to the field with TT at quarterback.
Lighten up and get over it.

n0doz on December 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM

sandspur on December 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Yes, and he would be where he would be appreciated.

Cindy Munford on December 4, 2011 at 7:35 PM

29Victor on December 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM

You’re butter, cuz you’re on a roll!

itsnotaboutme on December 4, 2011 at 7:35 PM

INC on December 4, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Like Daniel praying in the window, refusing to hide his faith.

Grace_is_sufficient on December 4, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I’m all for atheists giving their point of view and all, but I’d rather they do it on their own time.

darclon on December 4, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Cindy Munford on December 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Yet that evil Rush Limbaugh has been disqualified as being part owner of an NFL team.

Firmworm on December 4, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Isn’t that what churches are for?

No, Howard.
That is not what churches are for.

If open expressions of Christianity (or any other religion) during large-scale entertainment/sporting events OFFEND you, then you’re just going to have to stay offended. Religious believers have no obligation to “avoid at all costs” any PUBLIC practices of their faith that may offend you. Prayer, whether public or private, is a mostly passive activity. As long as Tim isn’t trying to coerce others (you) to engage in prayer with him, it shouldn’t matter whether he’s doing in front of you or not.

listens2glenn on December 4, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Lets see,oh ya,this wasn’t a good way to express yourself!

Lets Contrast!
==============

Exhibit “A”
============

1968 The Black Power Salute
***************************

canopfor on December 4, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Cindy Munford on December 4, 2011 at 7:35 PM

That wasn’t well put, I understand that the people of Denver have been most gracious and supportive of Mr. Tebow, I was referring to him being a homegrown asset.

Cindy Munford on December 4, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Firmworm on December 4, 2011 at 7:26 PM

I’ve found the timing fascinating.

First a baby named Trig Palin comes on the national scene, and his very existence is an unavoidable in-your-face pro-life statement.

Then a couple of years later, in case some didn’t get the message, a guy named Tim Tebow comes on the national scene, and his very existence is an unavoidable in-your-face pro-life statement.

INC on December 4, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on December 4, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Good example!

INC on December 4, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Firmworm on December 4, 2011 at 7:37 PM

It’s a crazy world but obviously neither gentleman should be disqualified.

Cindy Munford on December 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM

darclon on December 4, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Ok, you got a chuckle outta me on that one. : )

listens2glenn on December 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM

1 Corinthians 10:31
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Colossians 3:17
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

multiuseless on December 4, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Matthew 6

[5] And when ye pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, that love to stand and pray in the synagogues and corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men: Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.

[6] But thou when thou shalt pray, enter into thy chamber, and having shut the door, pray to thy Father in secret: and thy Father who seeth in secret will repay thee.

equanimous on December 4, 2011 at 7:41 PM

You may want to get tested by a mental health professional.

Ronnie on December 4, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Down Twinkles on this. They’re mostly useless.

Who is John Galt on December 4, 2011 at 7:42 PM

xkaydet65 on December 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM

The Lord directed that parable to proud religious leaders in a society that exalted religious leaders, that had prayer in school, that had religious laws. We live in a secular society that largely frowns of faith–as this post demonstrates–a society that needs public expressions of faith, that needs to be pointed to God.

itsnotaboutme on December 4, 2011 at 7:42 PM

INC on December 4, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Good point.

listens2glenn on December 4, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Howard Portnoy should go back to being a hack on his own time.

Ronnie on December 4, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Portnoy, you are an azz. Suck it.

carbon_footprint on December 4, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Down Twinkles on this. They’re mostly useless.

Who is John Galt on December 4, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Whatever keeps him away from the keyboard.

Ronnie on December 4, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Matthew 6

equanimous on December 4, 2011 at 7:41 PM

The apostles Jesus taught this to had large prayer meetings. See what I wrote at 7:42 for the why.
When interpreting the Bible, you have to know who is being addressed & why.

itsnotaboutme on December 4, 2011 at 7:46 PM

lorien1973 on December 4, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Really. What he does and says may be corny to some but you’re quite right, the guy is about as down to Earth as one can be in his position.

What he spends his spare time doing with childrens charities is pretty humbling also.

hawkdriver on December 4, 2011 at 7:46 PM

xkaydet65 on December 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Jesus also prayed in public himself, so that interpretation of that scripture doesn’t wash.

listens2glenn on December 4, 2011 at 7:46 PM

INC on December 4, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Indeed.
Romney/Tebow 2012!

itsnotaboutme on December 4, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Firmworm on December 4, 2011 at 7:26 PM

This.

DrStock on December 4, 2011 at 7:49 PM

O/T…The Drums of War are calling!
====================================

Syria test-fires Scud B missiles, Israeli sources say – Jerusalem Post
6 Mins ago.

============================

Syria tests Scud B missiles
12/05/2011 02:23
********************

IDF sources say Syria testing missiles to show international community what Assad regime is capable of.
******************************************

canopfor on December 4, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Since where on a FootBall thready!
===================================

NFL’s Packers stay unbeaten with last-second FG to beat NY Giants 38-35 – NFL.com
4 Mins ago.
Hot
====

canopfor on December 4, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Every minute of Tebow’s life is his to do with as he pleases. Now, we might remonstrate with him should an official ever call a penalty on Tebow’s outward manifestation of religiousity, but the chances of that happening are slim.

Of course, Lion Stephen Tilloch’s taking a knee after sacking Tebow (the picture Portnoy uses in the byline) illustrates the problems with Tebow’s assumption that the Lord aided his victory. One would hope that Tilloch, like Tebow, is sincere in his prayer. But even in sincerity, the assumption that God has aided one against other people in a recreational game is disquieting. I would hope that God does not visit ill upon other believers at the request of yet another believer.

A good approach to prayer is in Matthew 6:5-6:

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

unclesmrgol on December 4, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Who let this troll post such obvious bigotry? I’d like to file a complaint with Management…

Doogiesd on December 4, 2011 at 7:51 PM

More scorn and ridicule should be thrown at Players like Ray Lewis who was involved in a Murder.

Patricksp on December 4, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Mocking Tim Tebow’s faith is mocking Jesus Christ himself, and it’s been happening since the Lord arrived on the scene, and then left us to deal with with the world. “These things I speak in the world so that they (you and me) may have My joy made full in themselves. I have given them (the disciples) Your (God’s) word; and the world has hated them, because they (the disciples and even God’s word) are not of the world.” John 17:13-14. Tebow has God’s joy, and by definition, he has been transferred from darkness to light. “For He rescued us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” Colossians 1:13 Mention the name of Jesus Christ and the unbelieving world recoils and mocks and rails. If you read this and you think I am ramming my religion down your throat, then you are probably one of those Jesus Christ-Tim Tebow haters. We all should be so bold as Tim in our Christian testimonies. After all, we are no longer of this world.

rickreyn on December 4, 2011 at 7:52 PM

When interpreting the Bible, you have to know who is being addressed & why.

itsnotaboutme on December 4, 2011 at 7:46 PM

You are wrong. The Lord directed this at you and me.

unclesmrgol on December 4, 2011 at 7:53 PM

When interpreting the Bible, you have to know who is being addressed & why.

itsnotaboutme on December 4, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Those verses are part of the Sermon on the Mount, taught to the multitudes…

equanimous on December 4, 2011 at 7:53 PM

and Tebow — and Tebowing — will be gone.

Tebow has already earned himself many shots at being a back-up QB for years to come. Teams want back-ups that won’t give games away and have confidence to lead the team. He’s already doing those things and might get much better at passing the ball.

forest on December 4, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Dude. Duuuuddde. You’re talking about Mr. Everything here. No Gator Nation cred for you.

SlaveDog on December 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Mr. Portnoy, without a doubt this is one of the strangest posts about football I have ever read. Why do you care what Tim Tebow does or doesn’t do? He plays football for money and expresses his religious beliefs. I find it strange that it bothers you at all.

I never minded the goal line celebrations, or high fives, or other displays, but I never thought of them as inherent to the sport. I can recall watching football when no one did any of those things but you did see a player cross himself or give thanks to his Creator in an interview.

I’m still puzzled as to exactly why this bothers you?

As for those making fun of it. That’s their perogative. Strange world though where Michael Vick is acceptable and Tim Tebow is not.

Deanna on December 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM