Video: An ode to the incandescent light bulb

posted at 9:52 pm on December 2, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Reason.tv’s musical maestro Remy yesterday released this spoof of Puff Daddy’s 1997 tribute to the Notorious B.I.G. Filling in for B.I.G.: the incandescent light bulb, which Remy expects to miss terribly as soon as the federal government’s ban on the bulb takes complete effect in January.

So do I, Remy, so do I.

Countdown to the effective date of the phaseout: T-29 days. Stockpile ‘em now while you can. Maybe, as Fox anchor John Stossel suggested in a recent statement, the light bulb ban seems unimportant because it’s a “small” overreach. But I’d argue the very smallness and specificity of the ban is what makes it so potently representative of the worst excesses of the federal government. Nothing is so small or so personal as to go unregulated by an ever-expanding, avaricious administrative state. The government won’t even scruple to stay out of our homes, which are our personal dominions, our castles.

The key, not-to-be-forgotten takeaways of the ban: (1) Don’t trust any ol’ Republican to automatically and invariably stand for smaller government. I’m a G.W. fan, but the guy signed this ban into law. No excuse for it. And not even the present Republican-controlled House managed to pass a repeal bill. (2) Unintended consequences are a virtual given of legislation composed by non-experts. The law seeks to replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescents — but, when a CFL breaks, mercury meets air … and the cleanup procedure is anything but uncomplicated. (3) As Remy sings, “If that new light bulb is so amazing, then why don’t people just go buy that light bulb?”

That last is the real point: At heart, this is about personal choice and freedom, the essence of the American Dream. Either the representatives we elect trust us to know what’s best for us or they don’t. If they don’t, we need to elect different representatives.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Heh. Better than his folk ode to OWS. Lovin’ the ‘Police’ vibe too.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 2, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Dead right. The stupidity and arrogance of this intrusion by the government into decisions that we should make for ourselves is a prime example of what is wrong with the metastasizing cancer that is the federal government.

novaculus on December 2, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Think there will be a black market?

Blake on December 2, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I’m thinking the upcoming shortages couldn’t have been planned any better. Is there nothing that Rove cannot do?

Mord on December 2, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Say what you will about the new lightbulb being forced upon us by Government, but I have one of the new lightbulbs in my kitchen that has been burning non-stop for five years.
When it goes out, I will have to contact a HazMat crew, but at least it lasts.

carbon_footprint on December 2, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Incandescents made in Texas are still legal in Texas. Now-if only I could find any of those home-grown bulbs.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 2, 2011 at 10:04 PM

So what happens if the Mexican mafia starts running ‘shinies’ into the States, and you get caught with a case?

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I have a closet full of 60-75-100 watts and everything in between. Enough to last me lifetime.

katy on December 2, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I am amazed that no one seems to know about this. Everyone that goes through my checkout lane with light bulbs I ask if they are stocking up before the ban goes into effect. No one, so far, has known what I’m talking about.

Vince on December 2, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Home Depot had a great price on boxes of 16 100-watt bulbs a couple weeks ago. Get them while you can.

100-watt bulbs are a poor man’s heater. We put them in our well house to keep the water from freezing in the winter. We also use them to keep newly hatched chicks warm enough.

CJ on December 2, 2011 at 10:08 PM

When it goes out, I will have to contact a HazMat crew, but at least it lasts.

carbon_footprint on December 2, 2011 at 10:03 PM

See, when one of my current bulbs breaks, I dont have to call a hazmat team. Tis works out well for me, because I dont want to have to do so.

Jeddite on December 2, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I want to know who the genius was who made sure the ban took effect during the primary season….and how nobody apparently thought this through.

I’ll bet you there are going to be millions of pissed off people that have no idea what is going on and why a regular light bulb is nowhere to be found.

Genius or accident. With these people, you can never really know.

Mord on December 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Jeddite on December 2, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Oh come on, it’s only a tiny bit of mercury. Sure it is not such a big deal. Has government ever been wrong before???

carbon_footprint on December 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM

G W Bush signed the bill. Thanks George, because if there is one thing conservatives wanted in a GOP president, it was bold leadership on important issues like climate change.

keep the change on December 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM

I would think the local stores would be running big sales, trying to stir up runs on them. The last time I was in at the hardware store, they had shelves as usual, at usual prices.

chotii on December 2, 2011 at 10:11 PM

You may want to stock up on old lamps too. Some of the new lamps and ceiling fans are being designed in such a way that cand.bulbs won’t fit.

Thrift stores and garage sale lamps. You can actually find some great stuff.

katy on December 2, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Hold on one sec: while the current House was unable to pass a repeal of that law they managed to pass some months ago, mixed in one bill, an extension of the phase out that essentially pushed it from 2012 to 2013.

In any case, technological advances have made light bulbs more efficient, durable, and cheaper, much different than the chemical warfare CFLs (I have used these too). In either case, here in CA you cannot find 100w light bulbs anymore.

ptcamn on December 2, 2011 at 10:13 PM

chotii on December 2, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Make up some flyers, talk to some local stores, pass the flyers around town and let everyone know. If you can wrangle a commission out of the deal you might make a few bucks.

Mord on December 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

I’ve got my CASES of 60 & 100 watt bulbs safely stashed away.

Kermit on December 2, 2011 at 10:16 PM

carbon_footprint on December 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Is there a law against disposing of broken mercury-bulbs in the bathroom trashcans of government buildings? Cuz if there aint…

Jeddite on December 2, 2011 at 10:17 PM

“If that new light bulb is so amazing, why won’t people just go buy that light bulb?”

Because a free people have to be forced into doing what’s right.

I have to go now, shopping for a new car, giving that Chevy Volt a hard look… it’s getting just fab reviews from the government, so it must be good.

Hog Wild on December 2, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Remy’s old stuff was so stinkin’ funny.
This light-bulb rap is just OK.
Has Reason softened his comedic edge?

itsnotaboutme on December 2, 2011 at 10:18 PM

If they don’t, we need to elect different representatives.

Is everyone who voted for Obamacare gone yet? No? Then how much power do you think people actualy have? If one of our presidential hopefuls had voted for this, half the people here would be saying, “But Obama is worse, we HAVE to elect the lessor of 2 evils.” Hell, a third here want to elect “Romneycare”, and you think I can fight against ANY bit of government intrusion. What a joke. I can’t get the TSA out of my pants, or the IRS out of my wallet, and you think I have some kind of stand-up-to-the-man ability.

AnotherOpinion on December 2, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I replaced all my Edison bulbs to CFL about 5 years ago. I had to change one of them recently but it didn’t burn out. It got so hot that is started smokin’.
Luckily Government still allows the radiation filled smoke detector.

Electrongod on December 2, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Yeah.. I came home from work one day and read that congress had just passed a bill banning the light bulb. They did it without anyone knowing about it. Filthy dirty cheating lying sneaky good for nothings!
I told people about the ban at work and no one believed me. It wasn’t even on the news that much after the fact.

You can not ever trust any politician ever! This was so typical of Bush! I still get so angry when i think of this ban! They freaking banned the light bulb because of a freaking stupid fraud called global warming! There is no better example of the incompetence of government!
This singular act alone proves they are capable of doing absolutely anything! Stupid ignorant dangerous politicians that include Republicans and Democrats alike!

Some day in the future, if this ban stays in place as the years go by, some guy a few hundred years from now is going to rediscover the incandescent bulb. It will be a new scientific breakthrough in cheap safe lighting that is non toxic!

Not only should this ban be repealed, but if I had my way every single member of congress that passed this bill should be forced to apologize to the American people or give up and pay back all of their salaries and retirement! These people get off too freaking easy for screwing with our lives!

JellyToast on December 2, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Luckily Government still allows the radiation filled smoke detector.

Electrongod on December 2, 2011 at 10:24 PM

A grandmother of a friend of mine put one of the new bulbs in a lamp this past year. It burned down her house.

JellyToast on December 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM

I’ve got to make sure I get to Home Depot and pick up a couple cases.

As far as the CFL’s go, I find the idea that the government is forcing me to buy them, then telling me to take them to a recycle center when they go out repugnant. If they are good enough for me to have to use in my home, they are good enough to go in the trash when they go out. Period. I’m not going out of my way just because some @#$% nanny state legislator decided I need to buy something I don’t want.

AZfederalist on December 2, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I’ve got 2 cases of incandescents stashed. I like to read at night – and NOT by the light of a porky pig bulb.

GarandFan on December 2, 2011 at 10:29 PM

JellyToast on December 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM

After what I saw. I believe it.
The concept is good but the construction is cheap.
There are more components in a CFL bulb then a simple incandescent bulb.
More opportunities to skimp on quality.

Electrongod on December 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Except for the fact they aren’t banning incandescent light bulbs, just demanding higher efficiency standards.

So you can buy incandescent light bulbs, just the higher efficiency ones. I’m sure they are more expensive.

nazo311 on December 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Electrongod on December 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I’m not sure, but I believe all the CFL’s are now made in China.

One way around the ban, I believe, is if you have an incandescent manufacturer in your state. They could conceivably still sell them then, just not across state lines. I may be wrong on this, but then again, I may not be.

JellyToast on December 2, 2011 at 10:35 PM

nazo311 on December 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM

And in the severe cold, the LED’s don’t work.
There are a lot of good things about a bulb that gives heat.

JellyToast on December 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM

nazo311 on December 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM

And you aren’t being banned from the site just commenter’s with ‘nazo’ in their name are. It’s a difference without meaning.

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM

CFLs can kiss my a**.

Aside from being expensive and dangerous, it’s just damn ugly light. Take a walk in your neighborhood at night and note which houses have that warm, comfortable glow and which ones look like machine shops.

somewhatconcerned on December 2, 2011 at 10:40 PM

nazo311 on December 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Just like the Gov’t didn’t outright ban station wagons, but just demanded better efficiency.

It’s a difference without meaning.

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Damn straight!!

Phil-351 on December 2, 2011 at 10:50 PM

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Sarcasm is lost on you, huh?

nazo311 on December 2, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Sarcasm is lost on you, huh?

nazo311 on December 2, 2011 at 10:56 PM

If that was sarcasm you don’t do it very well.

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Stockpile ‘em now while you can.

I am.

Everytime I go to HD or Lowes I buy bulbs. Got nearly 300 bulbs in the garage, from 60 to 100 watts.

Think they’ll be worth something on EBay next year? It’s my new 401k.

BacaDog on December 2, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Here in the People’s republic of Minneapolis the Commissar’s of Political Correctness have banned plastic lawn leaf bags.

Paper only. Buck a pop.

Mussolini is smiling.

Bruno Strozek on December 2, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Except for the fact that there aren’t any higher efficiency incandescent bulbs, bub.

They raised the standard so high only CFL’s comply. They suck.

I’m 52. I have several hundred bulbs stockpiled. I’ll never have to use one of those crappy CFL’s. And if I do, I;m gonna toss that sucka in the street when it fails and call the goddamn fire department to come clean up the mercury spill in front of my house.

BacaDog on December 2, 2011 at 11:11 PM

If that was sarcasm you don’t do it very well.

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 11:01 PM

That whole line about I’m sure they will be more expensive…or your blinding rage just didn’t allow you to read that last sentence.

nazo311 on December 2, 2011 at 11:18 PM

I’m not sure, but I believe all the CFL’s are now made in China.

JellyToast on December 2, 2011 at 10:35 PM

I would have thought so as well, but then again, I would think that if I grow wheat on my farm to feed to my cows that it can’t be regulated by the Federal Government through the Interstate Commerce Clause either.

Theophile on December 2, 2011 at 11:25 PM

nazo311 on December 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Yes, but only the incandescent light bulbs that break the laws of physics would still be legal.

theperfecteconomist on December 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM

By the way, is this ban really still on?

I thought that it was pushed back or gotten rid of or something.

Theophile on December 2, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Theophile on December 2, 2011 at 11:25 PM

That Supreme Court decision stands up right there with the Dred Scott decision as far as one of the worst violations of freedom and federal government over-reach. It was a political decision made during the FDR administration to avoid having the court packed with more justices who would be FDR big government socialists. The precedent this decision set has put us upon this road to unlimited federal government intrusion in every part of our lives. Not what the founders intended at all.

AZfederalist on December 2, 2011 at 11:29 PM

theperfecteconomist on December 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Right.

I’m not going to use a CFL. Never.

They Suck, and the gov’t sucks for coming up with this stupid idea.

Like I said before, if one does sneak in, I’m smashing that bitch and calling some govt agency to come clean up the mercury.

On second thought, I may buy a box of cfl’s and toss one in the street every so often for some excitement. Call the EPA, watch them in their moonsuits out front sweeping up a goddamn light bulb.

BacaDog on December 2, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Last comment in moderation becaust I called a CFL a beeootch. Thanks Townhall.

BacaDog on December 2, 2011 at 11:36 PM

nazo311 on December 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Actually, they have banned the 40-100 watt bulbs, at least in Canada, not by name, but by energy standards. And since there are no incandescent bulbs in that range that meet those standards, the ban is effective.

keep the change on December 2, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Thomas Edison … a dead white guy trying to destroy future generations. Typical./

SagebrushPuppet on December 2, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Stocking stuffers people…

… Stocking stuffers!

Seven Percent Solution on December 2, 2011 at 11:56 PM

katy on December 2, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I have been buying them for the last year. I have an absolutely enormous stockpile. The way that I look at it: If the ban isn’t lifter then I am set for life. If the ban is lifted I’m still set for life. What I don’t use before I die my kids will inherit. The feds can go pound sand.

trapeze on December 3, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Walmart has a big display end cap of 100w incandescent lamps $3.75 for a 16 pack by Philips. That is 23.4 cents each. In 2012 only 100 watt bulbs will be banned. 75 watt in 2013, 60 watt in 2014.

On the other hand Sam’s Club has 8 packs of 13W CFL’s for $2.86. Not that I would buy them for normal household use.

Dasher on December 3, 2011 at 12:24 AM

In complete concurrence with the last couple of commenters. I have accumulated quite a stockpile. I don’t actually need them for illumination, however. I have a well with a pump that feeds a pressure tank in a shed, and a single 60 watt incandescent bulb will keep that shed above freezing all winter long. Replacement heaters require 1500 watts, so a bulb is actually the most energy efficient solution. I have a 40-year supply, so if Washington doesn’t get it I’m somewhat indifferent. May buy a few more to sell on the black market, however.

HTL on December 3, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Also a halogen bulb which is basically incandescent does meet the efficiency standard. But they are a bit more expensive. And I have seen some that look like a regular bulb; a halogen tube inside of a bulb shaped outer shell.

Also for me the 100 w ban does not really affect me. I use 60W for general purpose, 50-100-150 3-ways. and 30-70-100 in bedrooms. I recall that 3-ways are not affected by the ban.

I did buy a 85 W CFL recently, man that is a huge sucker, but it sure kicks out the light. i.e. 425 W incandescent equivalent.

Dasher on December 3, 2011 at 12:33 AM

HTL on December 3, 2011 at 12:32 AM

I think there is already a market developing for incandescents described as heaters and not lamps.

Dasher on December 3, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Paper only. Buck a pop.

Mussolini is smiling.

Bruno Strozek on December 2, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Menards was selling 5 packs of 30 gal paper double layer leaf bags for $1.50, which is 30 cents. Bio-degradable plastic bags are supposed to be ok, but local drop off site would not take them… said they don’t really bio-degrade. Also they suck since they are super thin, and rip easily. Complete waste of money. Not sure how those enviro-lobbyists convince city councils to adopt such silly regulations.

Dasher on December 3, 2011 at 12:43 AM

From Wikipedia:

[edit] Federal legislation

In December 2007, many of these state efforts became moot when the federal government enacted the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, which requires all general-purpose light bulbs that produce 310–2600 lumens of light[33] be 30% more energy efficient (similar to current halogen lamps) than then-current incandescent bulbs by 2012 to 2014. The efficiency standards will start with 100-watt bulbs in January 2012 and end with 40-watt bulbs in January 2014.

Light bulbs outside of this range are exempt from the restrictions. Also exempt are several classes of specialty lights, including appliance lamps, rough service bulbs, 3-way, colored lamps, stage lighting, and plant lights.

By 2020, a second tier of restrictions would become effective, which requires all general-purpose bulbs to produce at least 45 lumens per watt (similar to current CFLs). Exemptions from the Act include reflector flood, 3-way, candelabra, colored, and other specialty bulbs.[34]

In 2011, Rep. Joe Barton of Texas and 14 other Republicans joined to introduce the Better Use of Light Bulbs Act or BULB Act (H.R. 91), which would have repealed Subtitle B of Title III of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. Barton was opposed to regulation, while Rep. Michael Burgess pointed to jobs purportedly lost to China and voiced a fear of mercury problems resulting from CFL use.[35] On July 12, 2011, H.R. 2417 failed to pass by the required two-thirds majority in the U.S. House.[36]

Apparently, the 100 watt bulbs are the ones that go out now. :/

I am going to go out and buy a bunch of them this weekend. Does anybody else have the full schedule?

Theophile on December 3, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Dasher on December 3, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Um, notice that you won’t be able to get 50/100/150 bulbs anymore? That’s because the 100w filament will be banned.

john bono on December 3, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Genius or accident. With these people, you can never really know.

Mord on December 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM

only if any of the GOP candidates make anything out of it,

YehuditTX on December 3, 2011 at 1:01 AM

I bought 2 cases on Amazon.

YehuditTX on December 3, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Man, I still remember when this country was (relatively) free.

Back when I was young…

You could still smoke on airplanes (because the airlines could let you).
You could still drive without a seat belt.
You could still board a plane without an I.D..
You could still smoke in public places.
and
You could still purchase whatever light bulbs that you wanted.

Does anybody remember the mini-series “Amerika”? It’s starting to feel like that now.

This country is starting to only vaguely resemble the one that I grew up in.

(For the record, I am 43 years old and have never smoked.)

Theophile on December 3, 2011 at 1:13 AM

And you could live without being required to purchase health insurance.

Theophile on December 3, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Is the ban on selling them or making them? Cuz if it’s just making them, there’s probably a year’s worth of product in warehouses across the land.

angryed on December 3, 2011 at 1:23 AM

This country is starting to only vaguely resemble the one that I grew up in.

(For the record, I am 43 years old and have never smoked.)

Theophile on December 3, 2011 at 1:13 AM

With Obamacare and other things going on I’m afraid of us becoming Soylent Green. (I’m 52 and that was so creepy when I was a kid.)

This bulb thing is one of the most annoying things to me. I know it’s crazy and not as serious, but it annoys me as much or more than Cap and Trade.

Elisa on December 3, 2011 at 1:36 AM

I’m sure most of you have gotten this in emails. I grew up in the 1960′s.

How did we survive 50 years ago?

We drank water from the tap not a bottle and nobody knew about the dangers of lead poisoning so even cribs were painted with brightly colored lead based paint. Medicine and Bottles with tablets did not have child proof lids

No seat belts or air bags in cars, nobody knew or if they did told our parents smoking and drinking was bad for the baby, kids shared coke from one bottle, soda had masses of sugar and we ate real white bread and butter and everything else including full fat milk that we are now told is bad for you

Parents couldn’t reach us ( no mobiles ) and most of the day we would be out playing with friends and parents knew we would be safe with hardly any weirdos wandering the streets. If we got caught doing stuff we shouldn’t the cops would take us home and we may well have a got a hiding for breaking the law ( but no do gooders saying mustn’t smack children ). And if we played up in school the same applied.

While playing we got cuts and bruises and the occasional tear in jeans but it was just part of being a kid and no visit to the hospital.

We had no fancy games but could play for hours making a Go cart or a new tree swing and for other games most times we would find a ball and whatever we could use as a bat. or in the summer all jump into the nearest place we could find and if the water wasn’t that clean we just didn’t swallow it.

We rode our bikes with no helmets and doing whatever stunts we could ( bikes were so much heavier and hard waring ) and always had punctures to repair or get dad to help with.

If we didn’t get in the team we were not good enough and that was that.

But most of all we were allowed to be kids

To dream, to invent and to play.

It’s no wonder that the generation that grew up then created some of the most innovative and exciting technology we have today

Thanks for those years and all those “BAD THINGS” that is why we are who we are today

Elisa on December 3, 2011 at 1:37 AM

In 2012 only 100 watt bulbs will be banned. 75 watt in 2013, 60 watt in 2014.

Dasher on December 3, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Ah, so that’s how they are sneaking this by the people, piece by piece, the same way they are destroying this country.

Sterling Holobyte on December 3, 2011 at 2:00 AM

A lot of people don’t pay attention to much until it happens to them.

CFLs suck. Take a sharpie and write month and year on every one you install. We have one kitchen light with CFLs because it’s a nuisance to replace bulbs and it takes three. They last 18 months.

CFLs only mimic regular bulbs in color. They give sharp spectrum spikes at different wavelengths (colors), where incandescents give light on every wavelength (though they favor the red end of the spectrum). In spite of high frequency operation, CFLs still have flicker and are oddly unpleasant, especially the brighter specimens. It doesn’t surprise me that people report adverse health effects and I avoid reading by them.

Feedie on December 3, 2011 at 2:27 AM

I have stockpiled both light bulbs (my older eyesight can’t see well by the squiggly kind) and Primatine Mist (the only over-the-counter asthma spray available, and which works much better for many people than higher-priced prescriptions).

Both are being banned by the government; the Primatine Mist at the end of this year.

I feel like the government is coming very deeply into my personal life and taking away the things I need for quality of life. There are other people with medical reasons not to use the new light bulbs, but they don’t care about that any more than they care about the mercury inside them (which somehow, in this case, is perfectly okay rather than an environmental and health habit.

As for the asthmatics, they are purely cold-hearted.

I asked my husband, “What are they going to take away next?” He answered, “What do you most need?”

(The answer to that is Synthroid, but surely there is no reason to take away that vital medication. But I sure am paranoid about it all lately!)

Alana on December 3, 2011 at 3:01 AM

*health hazard, close parenthesis. (Why don’t I use preview?)

Alana on December 3, 2011 at 3:02 AM

If you contemplate it you can save energy in the winter if you use incandescent light bulbs. They are virtually 100% efficient converting electrical energy to heat. And as a by product you get some light. That light in your house cuts your heating bill slightly, almost as much as the cost of the electricity to run it. The difference is less than the cost of the light from the CFL.

{^_^}

herself on December 3, 2011 at 4:06 AM

I am going into the bulb running business!

This thing about the bulb IS a big thing, I agree.

It is also a defining statement on where big government has led us.

There WILL be a black market on bulbs.

Do they even regulate bulbs in Venezuela or Cuba? What about the EU?

Gimme a break!

We are all socialists now!

Jeebus!!!

Sherman1864 on December 3, 2011 at 4:08 AM

O.k… so Governor Perry (I live in Texas) signed into law the Texas Light Bulb Secession Law which says that we can make light bulbs here in Texas for sale in Texas by passing the Interstate Commerce Clause garbage. Unfortunately, there are no Incandescent Light Bulb manufacturers here in Texas. Does anybody want to go into business with me? :) :) :)

By the way, if I were Rick Perry, I would hammer this home during the debates in December and during the initial primaries in January.

“Can’t buy your light bulbs anymore? The out of control government took them away from you. I signed a law in Texas stating that we can still use them as long as they are manufactured here in Texas. I have been fighting the out of control Federal government for Texans for many years now and I would like the opportunity to fight the out of control Federal government for the rest of the country as well. With Governor Perry we can turn the lights back on.” :) :) :)

Theophile on December 3, 2011 at 4:54 AM

This light bulb thing is ridiculous. The Edison lightbulb is a thing of beauty. Its light is beautiful, it’s cheap, easy to make. Just glass and a bit of wire.

Government used to protect us from outside bad guys coming into our home. It now forces us to bring bad things into or home (there is no way I’d use the new poisonous bulbs if I had a choice).

This is the one single reason, the tipping point, as to why I support te tea-party.

And I now have more bulbs in my home, because the new ones’ light is so bad, not less. So they don’t use less electricity.

Hope on December 3, 2011 at 6:02 AM

When it goes out, I will have to contact a HazMat crew, but at least it lasts.

carbon_footprint on December 2, 2011 at 10:03 PM

The last one I bought (and they are expensive) lasted 5 days.

5 days.

They don’t really last longer.

Hope on December 3, 2011 at 6:07 AM

The only thing guaranteed to happen by using less electricity is a raise in the rates.

RADIOONE on December 3, 2011 at 6:42 AM

Once the high volume of mercury poisonings (eso those of children) start being documented from the broken bulbs they will rescind the ban. You watch.

Meanwhile, those of you who bought enough for a lifetime: you were very smart. I suggest you make a killing on eBay in the next few years, instead of keeping your whole stash intact.

I have enough for about 10 yrs give or take but I don’t expect to need the stash that long.

inviolet on December 3, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Interesting that the right refuses to believe the real war is not the economy -but freedom. The left believes 100% in their right to make every decision in your life. Forget the light bulb, didn’t anyone else notice that their long fought victory for privacy with one’s doctor (Row v Wade) was casually tossed aside for government bureaucrats to know and share your every persoanal itch -control your meal(Michele)frog march the elderly before a panel of Kremlin-like gods who will look at some idioticly contrived number and turn thumbs down)

The battle for America was about small non-intrusive government. We have been condition to think that a politician who hands us candy has no devious motive and is worth selling our freedom to.

So to me, the light bulb says more about the real danger facing AMerica than does the jobs picture -as unacceptably bad as it is.

Freedom, once given away won’t be given back and no marketplace exists without freedom, no economy can thrive without freedom, and the failure of the GOP to fight the social issues will eventually result is loss of that market place and each of us will become enslaved to the state as nearly half are now.

Don L on December 3, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Don L on December 3, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Exactly.
I think some Republicans think we’d all be fine living in a police state as long as we all had jobs.

JellyToast on December 3, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Man, I still remember when this country was (relatively) free.

Back when I was young…

You could still smoke on airplanes (because the airlines could let you).
You could still drive without a seat belt.
You could still board a plane without an I.D..
You could still smoke in public places.
and
You could still purchase whatever light bulbs that you wanted.

This country is starting to only vaguely resemble the one that I grew up in.

(For the record, I am 43 years old and have never smoked.)

Theophile on December 3, 2011 at 1:13 AM

A year ago my wife and I watched some Adam 12 reruns on Netflix, or maybe it was Hulu or something. I don’t remember now.
We started with the first episode and went from there.

If you want to see how our country has changed just watch those shows. We both kept saying to each other… “You can’t do that anymore” You can’t say that anymore” No cop would ever allow that any more.”

On one episode, the one cop got a little mad at a mother who had left her kids alone while she went of to a party or something. He “scolded” her that she ought to care about her kids ore. After they left the apartment, the other cop then scolded him and told him “You need to stay professional at all times. You cannot allow your personal feelings to cloud your judgement.” or something.

JellyToast on December 3, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Wow, do I HATE this sentence.
Do they trust us?!?
Do they trust us?!?

WHAT THE H3LL DO THEY KNOW?!?
When Government becomes Parent our liberty is GONE!

RedCrow on December 3, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Wow, do I HATE this sentence.
Do they trust us?!?
Do they trust us?!?

WHAT THE H3LL DO THEY KNOW?!?
When Government becomes Parent our liberty is GONE!

RedCrow on December 3, 2011 at 8:56 AM

WOULDN’T IT BE A SHAME IF THE NEW LIGHT CURLS “ACCIDENTALLY” GOT KNOCKED OFF THE SHELVES OF STORES ALL OVER THE COUNTRY ???

stenwin77 on December 3, 2011 at 9:03 AM

And in the severe cold, the LED’s don’t work.
There are a lot of good things about a bulb that gives heat.

JellyToast on December 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM

I read somewhere that when cities switched to LED lights in stop lights, the contraptions would fill up with snow and the cold LED’s didn’t melt the snow like the old incandescents did. Accidents waiting to happen. They probably had to buy new fixtures that didn’t hold snow.

I also find the CFL’s annoying. Some of them are slow to become fully lit. Even then, they are not emitting enough light for me to read at night. I have tried many brands and cannot find one that works as a chairside light for knitting, reading, etc.

Qzsusy on December 3, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Wait a minute. Most of the lights in my house are incandescent. The decorative lights above the kitchen table, or the decorative lights in the dimmer table lamp in the living room. The 5 40 watt bulbs in the dining room chandelier, on a dimmer switch. The special 100-200-300 3 way bulb in the antique floor lamp in my bedroom. The decorative large white bulbs in the den. The 1960s large colored Xmas lights hanging on the house out front.

I just want to be able to go to a store and buy these bulbs. It’s Prohibition all over again. Bootlegging will be back.

Oh I have a CFL floodlamp for my front porch. You turn it on, and you have to wait minutes for it to go to full brightness! A front porch light and you have to wait for it to go on?? In the dark, you want to be able to see right away! DUH !!!!!!

Paul-Cincy on December 3, 2011 at 9:13 AM

When it goes out, I will have to contact a HazMat crew, but at least it lasts.

carbon_footprint on December 2, 2011 at 10:03 PM

That’s the secret to making them last — never turn them off. I use them outdoors and for night lights indoors. They stay on 24/7, and some of them are going into their seventh year.

petefrt on December 3, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Luckily Government still allows the radiation filled smoke detector.

Electrongod on December 2, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Gotta start reports on burned property and houses; Obama will be more than happy to give you a free Volt./

ProudPalinFan on December 3, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Ever walk into a big store like a Walmart that has changed all the lights out for the new ones? I have to remove my glasses due to the glare the lights put out. Here’s hoping I don’t run into granny in the Depends aisle.

Kissmygrits on December 3, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Is it too much to hope for that once we boot that jerk out of the WH, we can all go back to normal and get our light bulbs back?

Urban Infidel on December 3, 2011 at 9:26 AM

In practical terms, does this mean that the 100w will actually be removed from shelves, Dec31/Jan 1 ??
Or that they simply can no longer be produced, and shelves will empty out and be refilled with CFLs ?
I buy several packs of the incans when $$ allows, and certainly don’t have a ‘stash’, but sure wish I could manage to get more !
Good Lord I hate the CFL as much as I hate the manipulation !

pambi on December 3, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Man, I still remember when this country was (relatively) free.

Back when I was young…

You could still smoke on airplanes (because the airlines could let you).
You could still drive without a seat belt.
You could still board a plane without an I.D..
You could still smoke in public places.
and
You could still purchase whatever light bulbs that you wanted

I remember the driving without a seatbelt part. We were six, crammed inside a station wagon in Puerto Rico! Mr. PPF and his mom tell me stories when Mr. PPF as a kid and his bro (in Pennsylvania) played around laying down right under the back of the windshield and jumping all over the place.

Oh and no DVD’s to keep ‘em shut or fight over a DVD movie to watch. Imagine the horror! Settle up a fight between my kids to pick a damn movie! The Grizzly Mama Bear kicks in and the four to six hours trip I got “angels” in the backseat >:)

Remember when the captain of the aircraft left his cabin looking for kids, talk to them; and give them airline PINS to wear on their chests. They felt like VIP’s, like gold, it made their flights easier and happier. I am a girl and of course I didn’t get pins.

It was a “boy” thing. Grrr! Paging Tony737!

Oh and I remember kids and teens on the back of the pickup trucks A LOT on the highways. It may happen still in the middle of nowhere. Of course, by Halloween I got pulled over b/c Mr. PPF didn’t replace a FOG LIGHT on his car. It may have burned on my way to Mr. PPF’s house!

If you got more, I’ll ask Allahpundit via Twitter to have a thread, “Remember When…?”

ProudPalinFan on December 3, 2011 at 9:34 AM

stenwin77 on December 3, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Anybody got connections with the Mossad?/ or not/

ProudPalinFan on December 3, 2011 at 9:38 AM

JellyToast on December 3, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Two movies I like: Carrie and Firestarter. For whatever reason, this chick likes it when chicks get pis$’d and start destroying people, cars and get bulletproof.

I saw Firestarter the other day and I have the DVR set to record the next one so my kids get to watch it. OMG all those Ford/Chevrolet classics!

And how did Charlie as a seven year old girl got to hitchhike by herself all the way to the old folk’s farm (and remembered exactly where they lived) after the destroyed the whole compound?

Her dad was the one that had the Jedi power ability, not her.

ProudPalinFan on December 3, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Kissmygrits on December 3, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Y’know, there are stores I just don’t LIKE to shop in for this very reason !
It did take me awhile to figure out what bothered me about them, but it boiled down to this.
Merchandise and even the PEOPLE just look ‘creepy’ for lack of a better word.

A couple of years ago, dear hubby proudly replaced all of our lamps with the CFL’s, believing he’d be making a large contribution to lowering our electric bills. It never even made a dent, and simply made us squint, gave us headaches, and made us cranky. I kid you not.
They don’t last much longer, either, and blowouts go into the normal trash bag. SSHHHHHH !!
All but one have been replaced with the incands, and once hubby could notice the difference in lighting, he’s decided we should try to stock up as we can.

pambi on December 3, 2011 at 9:43 AM

the–> she destroyed the whole compound.

Sorry I am ticked off by the lightbulb stuff too.

ProudPalinFan on December 3, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I also thank GE and Phillips and the other “green” corporations for aiding and abetting the environmentalist wackos.

Christian Conservative on December 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM

When it goes out, I will have to contact a HazMat crew, but at least it lasts.

carbon_footprint on December 2, 2011 at 10:03 PM

petefrt on December 3, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Which pretty thoroughly negates the idea that these “energy-saving” bulbs will help decrease our “carbon footprint”. Which I figured out thirty seconds after the government advocates said that turning the CFLs off and on (like a regular IB) shortened their service life. (And I didn’t even need my slide rule to do the math.)

Christian Conservative on December 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Rent-seeking CEOs like Jeff Immelt always know how to get on the right side of whoever’s in the ascendant at any given moment. Consistency and a sense of actual right and wrong are not part of the job profile.

When decisions regarding energy are made by a combination of politicians and ecological “activists” who are all utterly ignorant of actual science, you shouldn’t be too surprised that those decisions turn out to be bad ones.

clear ether

eon

eon on December 3, 2011 at 10:13 AM

It seems one of the selling points is how long the CFL bulbs last, and that incandescent bulbs don’t last as long. But I bought my home in 2005 and most of the incandescent bulbs have never been replaced. I do tend to replace the ones by front porch often, perhaps that’s due to the weather.

I can’t stand the slowness of illuminating and the terrible emitted light that the CFL’s have, so I’ll be stocking up.

- Tim

timinnc on December 3, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Like most things Liberals come up with, CFL’s are highly dysfunctional, dangerous, and cost six times more than the perfectly-working alternative.

After we relegate Obama to the dustbin, the US will have to buy a small, remote country to provide enough room to bury all of the failed Liberal hardware: CFL’s, EV’s, Windmills, solar panels, etc., etc. It would help if it were a small island with an active volcano which could incinerate all of this junk.

landlines on December 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM