Next Rick Perry Iowa ad blitz entry: Faith

posted at 3:25 pm on December 2, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

Rick Perry continues to pour on the steam in Iowa, looking for the magic combination which will provide that rarest of events… a second act in presidential primary politics. He’s going on the air this week with the next entry in his latest series, called “Faith.” In it, he veers away from the finger pointing and internal warfare with the rest of the candidates and focuses on one of the chief totems of conservative doctrine, his faith in God and the role it plays in his life.

“When you run for president, you get a bunch of questions about your faith.”

“People want to know what drives you, how you make decisions.”

“Now some liberals say that faith is a sign of weakness. Well they’re wrong. I think we all need God’s help.”

“America’s greatest leaders have been people of strong faith, strong values. That makes for a strong America.”

“I’m Rick Perry, I’m not ashamed to talk about my faith, and I approve this message.”

Certainly targeted, short and to the point. We’ll be talking to Rick’s media coordinator on The Not Ed Morrissey Show at 3 PM eastern, so we’ll ask him about this advertisement and more.

Your thoughts? Effective? Too little, too late? Or is that what we should have been hearing more of from the entire field through the early months of the campaign?

Comments

Ha! Perry is spending that $15 million as Texas donors abandon him. He must have hired a friend or relative as his advertiser so he can get that money into the hands of his pals rather than let it sit.

csdeven on December 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Effective? Too little, too late?

It’s secret option number 3. Too bad I can’t remember what it was :(

lorien1973 on December 2, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Jazz, what is that IA poll you mentioned on the Not Ed Morrissey Show?

kerrhome on December 2, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Great ad by the way and Will Franklin is great on The Not Ed Morrissey Show today as were you.

kerrhome on December 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

That this guy is polling so low is just puzzling. Stupid, stupid conservatives.

Bill C on December 2, 2011 at 3:33 PM

oh brother.

grasping at the piety straws this one is.

Pablo Honey on December 2, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Its the only play he has, its a transparent plea to social cons, but hes doing the best he can with the cards he dealt himself.

nswider on December 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM

That this guy is polling so low is just puzzling. Stupid, stupid conservatives.

Bill C on December 2, 2011 at 3:33 PM

They are a heartless bunch, thats for sure.

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM

This why I distrust perry- presidents represent atheists too

drballard on December 2, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Bill C on December 2, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Whats funny is Ive always thought Perry would be a disaster as a candidate in the general. Now that it could possibly be Newt, I take it back.

nswider on December 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM

So why is perry doing this? See huckabee, m 2008

drballard on December 2, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I think Jazz mentioned a DR poll coming out that shows Perry is picking up steam in Iowa. Will Franklin says they plan to win IA and that they are building the ground game to do it. I hope the #s are good for him.

kerrhome on December 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Is he out of money yet? I’m tired of Perry trying to convince me to vote for him through pandertisements and self-deprecating humor. I get it, Rick — you’re a New York Times Bush caricature brought to life through the power of science. I get it! Go away now, please.

Punchenko on December 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Wow, he’s going all Huckabee on us.

I guess God wasn’t paying much attention to him when he was trying to think of that 3rd govt deptartment he would eliminate.

Maybe his spectacular flub-up was just God’s will after all…

Always Right on December 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM

That this guy is polling so low is just puzzling. Stupid, stupid conservatives.

Bill C on December 2, 2011 at 3:33 PM

+100

Did you see him on Leno last night? He was terrific.

capitalist piglet on December 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I would rather have an atheist run- he’d never tell me to trust him cause he’s a Christian- he’d have to show it through his actions

drballard on December 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM

They are a heartless bunch, thats for sure.

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Are conservatives really this incapable of accepting an apology? He has repeatedly, repeatedly admitted blurting that out was a mistake and apologized for it – and if you understand the law, you might be able to see why he said that to Santorum, who was distorting it and the intent behind it.

capitalist piglet on December 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM

They are a heartless bunch, thats for sure.

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM

No heart, not humane. Tomato, tomato. Gingrich just worded his stance better.

Bill C on December 2, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Amen, and thank you, Governor Perry.

capitalist piglet on December 2, 2011 at 3:47 PM

No heart, not humane. Tomato, tomato. Gingrich just worded his stance better.

Bill C on December 2, 2011 at 3:46 PM

People more willing to forgive Gingrich, because he’s The Smartest Guy In The Room™, and if you doubt it, just ask him.

capitalist piglet on December 2, 2011 at 3:48 PM

That this guy is polling so low is just puzzling. Stupid, stupid conservatives. Bill C on December 2, 2011 at 3:33 PM

They are a heartless bunch, thats for sure. sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM

So we’d be more compassionate if we were open to such unmitigated pandering?

Akzed on December 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Punchenko on December 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I seem to recall you piching Gingrich to the Hot Air crowd when his polls were still in the crapper. Your comments were also a lot nicer then.

My question is if Newt with all his baggage – and that baggage is not repairable – was able to reach frontrunner status, what makes you think or desire that Perry, who is more conservative than Gingrich and has less baggage, cannot get his second look?

Your desperation is showing. I daresay you are mighty scared that Perry is about to get his second look as Newt’s baggage is brought once again into the open, hence the vitiol you are spewing.

TheRightMan on December 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM

nswider on December 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I think his speeches are good and he does well in interviews. And he is much better at staying on message than Newt which is not that hard. I won’t despair if Newt is the nominee, I certainly won’t support Perry if he is under 10%. Stopping Romney is more important than Perry v. Gingrich.

+100

Did you see him on Leno last night? He was terrific.

capitalist piglet on December 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM

No, but thanks for the heads up.

Bill C on December 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Looks like HotAir is back aboard the Perry train.

Pablo Honey on December 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Jazz, I do not know if this is the first of Perry’s last few ads that you have watched. He has been focusing on his attributes and message rather than launching attacks on the other candidates for a while now.

TheRightMan on December 2, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Bill C: I think The Right Scoop has video of it – it was from last night’s show. Really great. He was wonderful, and well-received.

capitalist piglet on December 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM

So we’d be more compassionate if we were open to such unmitigated pandering?

Akzed on December 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM

What Perry said was stupid and insulting and I don’t blame people for being angry with him. But at this point Gingrich and Perry have the same policy. So we have to decide which one is more electable. I do think debating is important but I don’t know if it is everything. Perry is just less volatile than Newt.

Bill C on December 2, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Bill C on December 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Never make the mistake of ditching your preferred candidate simply because the polls say so.

Polls have long been used as a way of manipulating the masses. Vote for your candidate and even if he loses, your conscience will be clear.

TheRightMan on December 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

capitalist piglet on December 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Yes they do.

Bill C on December 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Are conservatives really this incapable of accepting an apology?

capitalist piglet on December 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM

The apology simply doesn’t matter.

We saw that he is a compassionate conservative™ and have had enough of that to last a lifetime. We have listened to him explain how we are meanies because of peoples last names, and how we can’t possibly build anything as complex as a fence. We have seen $7 billion spent on green energy mandated wind farms in Texas.

The truth is, I am intrigued and open to the Bush administration’s amnesty proposal.” -Rick Perry

We have seen enough.

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

That this guy is polling so low is just puzzling. Stupid, stupid conservatives.

Bill C on December 2, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Times 2. It’s dismaying the number of Republicans, pundits, voters, etc., that sway with the “It” candidate, rather than look at their records, character, and policies.

It’s also disgusting that Gary Johnson was completely excluded from the debates and any consideration. He has the most fiscally conservative record and was a VERY successful, 2-term governor.

Common Sense on December 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Rick did come in second in the poll here at Hotair so, he is coming back. Once people realize why THEY HATE NEWT, like his pandering to liberals like saying the ERA OF REAGAN IS OVER.

Newt even hugged Kerry when they were suppose to have a debate of man-made global warming. At the debate HE AGREE with Kerry that MAN IS AND ARE the Fault behind the warming.

BroncosRock on December 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM

We have seen enough.

That’s exactly how I feel…..about Newt

sandee on December 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM

We have seen enough.

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I’m glad you are so sure of what everybody thinks that you can speak for all of them. I guess you didn’t see who came in second in the Hot Air Poll. Or, did and are trying to get ahead of the news.

cozmo on December 2, 2011 at 4:02 PM

TheRightMan on December 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Yeah I agree with this totally. Do what you feel is right in the primary and let whatever happens happen.

nswider on December 2, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Common Sense on December 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM

JOHNSON: My vision of the border with Mexico is that a truck from the United States going into Mexico and a truck coming from Mexico into the United States will pass each other at the border going 60 miles an hour. Yes, we should have open borders.

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM

cozmo on December 2, 2011 at 4:02 PM

He’s surging at what, 8% or is it more than that?

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 4:05 PM

You know the way the delegate per primary structure is , I’d hang around if I’m Perry just in case Newts blows up or Romney can’t improve.
There’s an 8 week gap until Super Tuesday- if he improves a bit these next couple of debates….well, he’ll still probably lose.
But I hope he stays- just in case

jjshaka on December 2, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I do not believe we tea party will put our trust on a guy who said small government is over like Newt did in 2006.

BroncosRock on December 2, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Yes to Rick NO to BIG GOVERNMENT IS COOL NEWT

BroncosRock on December 2, 2011 at 4:09 PM

and how we can’t possibly build anything as complex as a fence.
sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

As I have told you repeatedly, anyone who tells you it’s easily doable is:

1. lying, or

2. ignorant

juliesa on December 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Fine, lets talk about your faith Rick… how about we start with your self-righteous public shows of faith, yet you are a miser in your offerings. Hilarious.

gatorboy on December 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM

TheRightMan on December 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Then vote for the Republican nominee in November, pinching nose if necessary. No wasted votes on third-party losers or staying home.
Obama. Must. Lose.

Steve Z on December 2, 2011 at 4:17 PM

As I have told you repeatedly, anyone who tells you it’s easily doable is:

juliesa on December 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM

We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard” -John F. Kennedy

We landed a man on the moon.

I think we can built a fence.

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 4:24 PM

There’s an 8 week gap until Super Tuesday

If Perry has enough money to hang on beyond the Florida primary, and can get his act together, he could conceivably make a comeback. Where was McCain in the polls at this time in 2007?

But during that 8-week gap, he’ll have to talk about issues, and what he would do about them, clearly, with no brain farts. Lots of voters have faith, but Perry needs to tell them himself why he should be President.

Steve Z on December 2, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I think we can built a fence.

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Of course, we can do anything if we throw enough money and time into it. That’s not the issue. It’s whether it’s worth spending years and billions of dollars condemning the land and constructing the fence, when we’ll still have to patrol it and maintain it everyday to make it effective. Plus we have to realize that a solid fence in Texas will have to built well north of the border, so the use of that fenced off land and water by American citizens would be compromised, if not destroyed. That’s why the fencing in Texas has large gaps in it–so people can get to their businesses, their college, homes, etc.

juliesa on December 2, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Steve Z on December 2, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Yes- in a weird way he’s been given a lifeline by Romneys lackluster effort.
He has to step it up though like you said- and it still might not matter if Newts doesn’t screw up.
I’d go all in on Iowa and try to get a top 2- he has to stay relevant before South Carolina.

jjshaka on December 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I suggest you all read “Perry and his eggheads” available on Kindle for $.99. Very informative story about how he kicked Kay Bailey Hutchinson’s a$$, when she was supposed to easily beat him for Governor last election. He is very, very clever and capable, so his comeback will be impressive to watch. He is correct that popularity based on debating performance is ephemeral. Let’s see how he manages his campaign going forward. I bet he does that job surprisingly well.

burtensley on December 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM

capitalist piglet on December 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM

How about this: people like me will accept his apology as a sincere, legitimate one, but only after you accept David “Barney Rubble” Gregory’s “apology” for his “gaffe” from a few weeks ago, when he “slipped” and “unintentionally” associated Republicans with the KKK.

Bizarro No. 1 on December 2, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I’m still with Governor Perry. Personal view, he’s the best person in the race. ADD is not deadly. But a character deficit is.

eaglesdontflock on December 2, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Great ad!! Nobldy should be ashamed to talk about their faith! Keep it coming Rick!!

Bullhead on December 2, 2011 at 5:13 PM

drballard on December 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Then by all means, vote for the atheist who is running. As there is no such candidate, it appears you will have to tolerate candidates who share the faith of the vast majority of Americans.

DrMagnolias on December 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I bet there are.

Pablo Honey on December 2, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I bet there are.

Pablo Honey on December 2, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Obama.

sharrukin on December 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM

“We all need God’s help”

No, we don’t.

ernesto on December 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM

ernesto on December 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Those of us who deal with you do, ernesto.

DrMagnolias on December 2, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Here’s his BRILLIANT speech to the NH legislature… it’s must-see if you haven’t already. Perry’s found his legs and is getting stronger, imo:

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on December 2, 2011 at 8:58 PM

DrMagnolias on December 2, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Ernesto, that was rude, and I apologize. I have had a long day, and I took it out on you. I often don’t agree with you, but that is no reason to be unkind. I truly am sorry.

DrMagnolias on December 2, 2011 at 9:31 PM

God must have a sense of humor since he whispered in the ears of America’s biggest idiots and told them to run for President.

lexhamfox on December 2, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Good ad..Go Rick Go..:)

Dire Straits on December 3, 2011 at 1:03 AM

I think we can built a fence.

I think we can climb a fence.

Mark Jaquith on December 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM