Meghan McCain: Second look at Bachmann?

posted at 9:15 pm on December 2, 2011 by Allahpundit

C’mon, I had to post it. Alternate headline: “Meggie Mac, true conservative?

Two points. First, you might notice a verbal gaffe or two committed by our heroine. (She addressed that today on Twitter.) It’s a fair cop but hard for me to get worked about relative to MSNBC’s general sleaziness. If you want to knock her for something, knock her for being willing to share a network with this. Second, why hasn’t Bachmann done better among primary voters? Her claim about Gardasil and retardation was embarrassing and irresponsible, but that’s not going to singlehandedly sink a candidacy. She’s performed well at the debates and, unlike our two current frontrunners, boasts legit tea-party cred. The fact that she has just a few years of experience in government is no impediment — Cain has zero experience, proudly touts that fact, and was at 30 percent a month ago. So what’s the problem? Say what you will about Bachmann but it’s hard to imagine her reneging on a campaign promise. Not so with Gingrich or, especially, Romney. If Meggie is with her, who can be against her?

Exit question one: What’s with NBC hiring the children of famous people? MegMac, Chelsea Clinton, Jenna Bush, Luke Russert. What special insight do they think they’re getting here? Exit question two via CBS: Does the tea party still matter?

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

But she’s done very little in those few years.

itsnotaboutme on December 2, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Nobody more smarter than the Round Girl I tells ya’.

darwin-t on December 2, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Incoherent

A Balrog of Morgoth on December 2, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I know this may sound arrogant and conceited, but I think I am “way more smarter” than Megaton.

predator on December 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM

So totally!

Electrongod on December 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Second, why hasn’t Bachmann done better among primary voters?

A couple of reasons. First, Bachmann was the anti-Palins’ Sarah Palin. No Palin factor, no usefulness for Bachmann. Second, Rick Perry.

ddrintn on December 2, 2011 at 9:23 PM

predator on December 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM

No way, she’s the most smarterest politicians kid out there.

darwin-t on December 2, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Comment self-censored.

idesign on December 2, 2011 at 9:24 PM

The portly plankton speaks?

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on December 2, 2011 at 9:24 PM

It’s not just extemporaneous speech; MegMac can’t write either. She can’t think , either. She’s basically an idiot, but she apparently thinks she’s smart, because people suck up to her due to her last name. I personally have nothing against happy-go-lucky not-so-bright plump girls, but that’s not MegMac. Rather, she’s an infinitely irritating mixture of stupidity & pomposity.

BCrago66 on December 2, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Still trying to protect her from legitimate criticism, are you…

Blake on December 2, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Ronald Reagan, Jr.

And JFK’s long lost son, Chris Matthews.

Ms. McCain writes (we’ll call it that for the sake of this post) about the ugliness of some conservatives and then she goes to MSNBC?

Please explain, Ms. McCain.

SteveMG on December 2, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I think I also heard at one time “She’s the thinking man’s Sarah Palin”. LOL Riiiiiight.

ddrintn on December 2, 2011 at 9:25 PM

No way, she’s the most smarterest politicians kid out there.

darwin-t on December 2, 2011 at 9:23 PM

No like you know way, she’s you know the most you know like smarterest politicians you know kid out like you know like there.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on December 2, 2011 at 9:25 PM

No way, she’s the most smarterest politicians kid out there.

darwin-t on December 2, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Darn! And I’ve been trying very hardly.

predator on December 2, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Stupid beyond stupid.

WisCon on December 2, 2011 at 9:27 PM

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on December 2, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I’m so sure!

darwin-t on December 2, 2011 at 9:28 PM

“famously,” hunh? Wow. She thinks pretty highly of herself, doesn’t she?

Book on December 2, 2011 at 9:28 PM

There are people who can think but not write; and people who can write but not think.

But she is two, two, two mints in one.

SteveMG on December 2, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Ohemgee! Look at her hair and sweater! Totally last season.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on December 2, 2011 at 9:31 PM

“Is Meghan McCain a sentient being?”

idesign on December 2, 2011 at 9:31 PM

What a bunch of freak’n idiots, the founders didn’t know about character because of slavery? Is every pundit on MSNBC that stupid? And worse yet, they think they’re smart.

lowandslow on December 2, 2011 at 9:31 PM

I know

tommyboy on December 2, 2011 at 9:31 PM

“I am completely wrong.” -Meghan McCain

She’s right! Wait…

theperfecteconomist on December 2, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Her biggest branding moment was Gardasil. Not a winner.

Cain’s was 999, that is before it was woman-woman-woman.

beatcanvas on December 2, 2011 at 9:32 PM

She is like, totally a betch!!!

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on December 2, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Sink me, but her haberdasher has betrayed her.

PercyB on December 2, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I have shoes that are more smarter that Round Girl.

darwin-t on December 2, 2011 at 9:36 PM

If Meggie is with her, who can be against her?

Our own Allahpundit paraphrasing the bible? Totally sweet, dude.

jaime on December 2, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Michelle Bachmann likes to hype crap. She pretends she’s a different kind of politician. Anyway she tells you she’s a different kind of politician but she’s not she’s the same kind of D.C. politician as all the rest. That’s called phoniness. No wonder Meghan McCain took a liking to her. I don’t begrudge Bachmann her ambitions. Who would want to be stuck in the house of representatives for the rest of their adult careers?

Dr Evil on December 2, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Second, why hasn’t Bachmann done better among primary voters?

Perhaps she would be better off talking about what she would do if elected instead of picking at what others have done in their elected office?

A message that’s not “I’m not like that guy”, but rather “this is what I want to do”.

Take a look at Newt who isn’t nearly conservative as Bachmann is, and people are flocking to him. Newt’s opponent is Obama, not those who are the same stage with him for the last 12 debates or so.

Primary voters have, and to borrow the phrase from Obama, “enemy”, and it’s not those competing for the Republican nomination.

Hog Wild on December 2, 2011 at 9:42 PM

She heard someone say “Bachman Turner Overdrive” and thought they said “Bachmann turnover drive”; thus her newfound support.

andycanuck on December 2, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I thought that Romney was Meghan’s candidate.

RedRobin145 on December 2, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I don’t think the fat jokes are called for.
She is lovely in a Rubenesque way.

I am just baffled by how smug and self important she comes off. Kate Goeslin has done more good for our Union than this fool.

Anton on December 2, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Meghan is like the thinking man’s Anna Nicole Smith.

Pablo on December 2, 2011 at 9:46 PM

The fact that she gets any face time is a symptom of the sickness that pervades our country. Tabloid news and politics is all we get. The coverage of actual news is gone.

darwin-t on December 2, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Hey Meghan, Jenna Bush is way more better than you and Chelsea Clinton is way more smarter, and Bristol Palin is way, way, more prettier than you.

lonestar1 on December 2, 2011 at 9:50 PM

So which one is for Michelle Bachman, the right one or the left one? Or is it both of them for a 2fer.

SlaveDog on December 2, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Meghan is like the thinking man’s Anna Nicole Smith.

Pablo on December 2, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Round Girl was born to the Manor at least Anna hooked her whale on her own.

darwin-t on December 2, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Meg writes like my son used to when he was twelve, mebbe thirteen. He’d use a big word that was close, but not close enough to what he thought it meant. I’d edit his papers and I’d say, “Honey, this is not the right word,” and he’d say that yes, he had looked it up and it meant such and such, so it was the right word. He just didn’t get nuance, and we had many conversations about how mature writing uses vocabulary with skill, not just bullying its way through with big words that are impressive but not quite right.

He obviously figured it out, because now he’s an excellent writer, which he has needed to be at Cal and the University of Oslo (where he got his BA and Master’s respectively), not to mention the two firms who have paid him a living wage to write well. Meggie seems to have missed that transition to mature writer at Columbia; she both writes and speaks like she’s signing someone’s yearbook.

Bob's Kid on December 2, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Please, pay no attention to this twit! If we ignore her, maybe she will go away.

Alabama Infidel on December 2, 2011 at 9:54 PM

She is sofa king reed Todd did.

boko fittleworth on December 2, 2011 at 9:54 PM

She is sofa king reed Todd did.

boko fittleworth on December 2, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Not to mention she is also Stu Pitt

darwin-t on December 2, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Hey Meghan, Ron Reagan is way more feminine than you.

carbon_footprint on December 2, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I’m 80% sure I’m writing Sarah’s name in here in SC’s primary, and 20% sure I’m voting for Bachmann. Decisions!

SouthernGent on December 2, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Dear Megatons,
What do you think of your dad if he was soooooooo dumberer than you and he picked Palin to be on his ticket?

Like if only he had run your twitter pics [IYKWIMAITYD] maybe more people could have been turned off by him, than they already were, and he could have lost by a bigger margin to the SCOAMF.

Totally.

Signed,
All Of Us

p.s. Your Daddy sold his soul to Keating and to assuage his election time guilt he attempted to punish the rest of us and take away our free speech through unconstitutional legislation. Pathetic. So maybe your whole family should just STFU.

Branch Rickey on December 2, 2011 at 10:04 PM

As for me, I should add that I can talk English good. Real good.

Bob's Kid on December 2, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Dear Ms. McCain:

Please, please consider throwing a quick “mercy” [*mumble*mumble*] AP’s way… just so he can finally get it out of his freakin’ system, once and for all.

Thank you.

Kent18 on December 2, 2011 at 10:07 PM

As for me, I should add that I can talk English good. Real good.

Bob’s Kid on December 2, 2011 at 10:04 PM

You right purty good to.

darwin-t on December 2, 2011 at 10:07 PM

The girl in the middle…first time I’ve seen her. She comes across so irritatingly smug. Enlighten me…who is she?

balkanmom on December 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM

“Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life.”

/faber4life

elcapt on December 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM

She is lovely in a Rubenesque way.
Anton on December 2, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Translation: “She is ‘lovely,’ if compared to Paul Reubens.”

Kent18 on December 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM

slag

jaime on December 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Dear Ms. McCain,
I know you’re all like smarterer and junk than like everyone else including everyone else. And the America and the Iraq. But you could, like, stop, like, hanging out with, like, people from, like, MTV and maybe you could go to, like, college or something and junk. And learn some grammar and stuff.

The America and the Iraq thanks you and stuff.

mjk on December 2, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Such a shame. Her mother seems like such a nice person, too.

John the Libertarian on December 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

predator on December 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM

i think you are also

chasdal on December 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

“Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life.”

/faber4life

elcapt on December 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Heh. Reminds me of a t-shirt a biker friend of mine used to wear:

“Life ain’t easy when you’re fat and greasy.”

predator on December 2, 2011 at 10:20 PM

i think you are also

chasdal on December 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Thanks. I feel more confidenter in my talk then I ever have, and I famously owe it all to you.

predator on December 2, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Bob’s Kid on December 2, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Braggert:)

Vince on December 2, 2011 at 10:22 PM

I thought that Romney was Meghan’s candidate.

RedRobin145 on December 2, 2011 at 9:45 PM

“Meggie Mac’s” ideal candidate.

Kent18 on December 2, 2011 at 10:23 PM

It’s particularly in the interests of younger Republicans to nominate a small-gov candidate that will balance the budget.

FloatingRock on December 2, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Bachman has no chance and nobody cares what McCain thinks, much less his dumb daughter.

echosyst on December 2, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I didn’t make it even 15 seconds. Poof! Out of my life, never to be thought of again. She just started talking and got that “I’m being toe-tally toe-tally Earn-nest” tone and I couldn’t take it.
John McCain, if you value your family name, get her back home and make her do rich girl stuff.

ExpressoBold on December 2, 2011 at 10:24 PM

echosyst on December 2, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Whether she has a chance or not, I’m not sure, but Bachmann is the most electable, well rounded Republican in the race. Wherever people got the foolish notion that we have to nominate one of the two most liberal candidates, I hope they wise up quick.

FloatingRock on December 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM

I stopped liking Bachmann when she became a whiny back stabbing hack. This confirms that I was right. If Mehgan McCain likes her she must be a total waste of time and energy.

pwb on December 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM

At least she got the completely wrong thing right.

Grunt on December 2, 2011 at 10:32 PM

FloatingRock on December 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Yes, let’s nominate Bachmann! Let’s just do it, even if the fluffball likes her.

Igor R. on December 2, 2011 at 10:32 PM

If Mehgan McCain likes her she must be a total waste of time and energy.

pwb on December 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM

She got you with reverse psychology. Don’t you feel ashamed?

Igor R. on December 2, 2011 at 10:34 PM

When Bachmann started being popular, she was the anti-Romney. Then when Perry got into the race he was the anti-Romney, till he proved he wasn’t. Everyone dropped Bachmann. She got desperate and pushed the Gardasil thing, which just gave everyone an excuse to dismiss her, as they had already done. She can’t come back from that, because nobody wants to admit they ditched a perfectly good candidate, with the best NumbersUSA rating, under the false impression that Rick Perry was the one.

Then again, at least she got a hearing. That’s more than Tim Pawlenty got.

I think Tim was the best candidate in the race. If Republican voters wanted an anti-Romney who was even better qualified, and who was not Jon Huntsman, Tim Pawlenty was it.

Rick Santorum can’t get much of a hearing either. There’s a solid, trustworthy social conservative candidate, weak on immigration but apart from that about as good as it gets.

Ron Paul’s not breaking out either. If you prefer a less belligerent foreign policy, which I think would be a prudent idea for a nation trillions in debt, he’s your man. OK, he’s weak on immigration, with a big fat F from NumbersUSA and the delusion that a fence might be used to keep people in, but if people were really serious about the border Bachmann would still have more support than she does.

Instead, it’s the gimmick candidates that have gotten ahead: Cain, with no experience, less knowledge and all that stuff flying around in his head. Libya, Libya … uh? And Gingrich, who’s already proved he can’t be trusted, who has multiple former wives and isn’t a steady man.

I don’t get what people want, here. If you want electability, it’s Mitt. And that’s not so bad. If you want someone more authentic, there are people lined up who are serious about their principles. (At least give Ron Paul that.) Why are people picking not-Mitts who are phonier than Mitt?

David Blue on December 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM

There was day when you had to pull yourself up by the boot straps but now:
If your grandpa built some hotels and you are a sl!_!t
boom! your are important and news worthy’

If your husband was a philandering president and you have cankles the size of watermelons
Boom! you qualifiad to be secretary of state.

If your dad gets shot down and then fails to evade capture the fails to become president and you are dumb and chunky
Boom! Your are considered a news making political pundit.

esnap on December 2, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Meghan McCain is still just a kid–okay, maybe not a kid and maybe I just think of her that way because I have children a few years younger than her, a daughter in college and son graduating from high school this year, and that’s how I think of them, as children. Both my daughter and son are thankfully directed and goal-oriented, know what they want and work hard to get there (very much unlike me at that age), but sometimes they do and say childish things. They’re young adults, not quite there yet, and so is she.

There’s a very childlike quality about Meghan McCain simply because she hasn’t had to grow up yet. She’s lived a comfortable, entitled life without serious challenges. Well, those challenges are coming her way just as they do for all of us: loss, failure, tragedy. Confronted with life, she can do one of two things: stay a little girl or assume the responsibilities that come with being a grown woman. I have enormous respect for her father, his courage especially, and her mother seems like an admirable woman. I’m betting she’ll get it together at some point. I find it hard to dislike her.

troyriser_gopftw on December 2, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Tonight, Mark Levin gave both Michelle and Rick Santorum as his personal choices for the primaries.
It will be interesting to see if they get a bounce.

diogenes on December 2, 2011 at 11:10 PM

She is lovely in a Rubenesque way.
Anton on December 2, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Meggie: “mmmmmmm…Reuben!”

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 2, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Just who is this tubby woman, and why should I care what she thinks?

Gorgar on December 2, 2011 at 11:37 PM

She lacks the charisma Palin possesses. Megan thinks Palin cost her dad the election. Truth is Palin made it a race. Had they let Palin campaign the way she wanted to we would have a different President today.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on December 3, 2011 at 12:25 AM

She did perform well, at first.

Then the Gardisil fiasco.

And, she decided to be a vicious twerp on Gingrich and Perry.

I seem to remember a Bachmann fund raiser in 2008 around the convention where Bachmann was praising Gingrich; does anyone else remember this? On CSPAN?

mockmook on December 3, 2011 at 12:32 AM

David Blue on December 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM

I couldn’t agree more. If you can stomach Gingrich or Perry, you can stomach Romney — the only differences are negligible.

Not that it matters which gets the nomination. None of the three can beat Obama.

Splashman on December 3, 2011 at 12:36 AM

“famously”?

Honey, you’ve never said or done anything famous in your life. Narcissist much?

Midas on December 3, 2011 at 1:58 AM

Why is it that when these shows decide to trot out a “token” Republican they always pick someone who makes Republicans look like idiots?

McCain should understand that by now. They are putting her on the air because she makes Republicans look stupid.

Meghan — they are laughing at you.

crosspatch on December 3, 2011 at 2:06 AM

Totally tripendicular! totally!

Virginia Shanahan on December 3, 2011 at 2:17 AM

C’mon, I had to post it.
I suppose you did considering your Mega-crush and all.

IowaWoman on December 3, 2011 at 2:58 AM

C’mon allahpundit, pull your politics out of your purse and flush Megan down the toilet, where she belongs. There’s plenty of REAL news to talk about, without devoting a section to that dolt.

rayra on December 3, 2011 at 2:59 AM

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on December 3, 2011 at 12:25 AM

True dat!

ncborn on December 3, 2011 at 3:13 AM

The Kim Kardashian of politics. Famous for being famous. Her father is a Progressive, so why should I pay attention to anything this moron says?

adamsmith on December 3, 2011 at 5:14 AM

Anyone this fool endorses is to be avoided like the plague.

Dumber than a box of rocks and that is insulting to the rocks.

gdonovan on December 3, 2011 at 6:47 AM

mjk on December 2, 2011 at 10:11 PM

She already went to college. That’s the sad part. She graduated from Ivy-league Columbia University a few years ago. She’s the perfect embodiment of what is wrong with modern “education.”

AZCoyote on December 3, 2011 at 7:03 AM

It is hard to understand why Rep. Bachmann hasn’t gotten any more attention, her mistakes have been minor. She doesn’t put off the powerful woman vibe, maybe that is it.

Cindy Munford on December 3, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Somebody please tell me . . . why do we care what this little twit thinks, believes or says?

rplat on December 3, 2011 at 8:08 AM

I caught a bit of Mark Levin’s show in the car yesterday, he is leaning towards Rep. Bachmann and Sen. Santorum.

Cindy Munford on December 3, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Meghan McCain is still just a kid–okay, maybe not a kid and maybe I just think of her that way ….but sometimes they do and say childish things. They’re young adults, not quite there yet, and so is she.

….. I’m betting she’ll get it together at some point. I find it hard to dislike her.

troyriser_gopftw on December 2, 2011 at 10:41PM

That’s ok – many of us have enough disdain/dislike of Meggie to cover you. We already cover AP’s fanboy crush on her.

She is a vapid spoiled brat who mistakenly seems to think that because her father has honorably served his country & is an experienced politician that somehow she became a valued political pundit the same thru osmosis. I will grant that she is not alone among her peer group in thinking that somehow her opinion is much more weighty than that of the older crowd. But most of her peer group do not have a national venue on MSNBC to spew their drivel.

katiejane on December 3, 2011 at 9:00 AM

What special insight do they think they’re getting here?

I know when I wake up in the morning the first thing I think is “can’t wait to turn on the telly and see what Meghan McCain thinks about the GOP candidates.”

If I want political news or commentary I come here, go to Drudge, the WAPO, Daily Caller, etc., etc., etc. I don’t watch ex-candidates or ex-presidents daughters on TV.

scalleywag on December 3, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Meghan — they are laughing at you.

crosspatch on December 3, 2011 at 2:06 AM

In a nutshell.

scalleywag on December 3, 2011 at 9:15 AM

I love this response to her on Twitter:

@McCainBlogette No Meghan you are a moron and one trick pony who owes her whole career to bashing Palin. You are the poor man’s Ron Reagan.

Naturally Curly on December 3, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Exit question 3: Does Maggie have any idea how foolish she looks?

disa on December 3, 2011 at 10:19 AM

She addressed her butchering of the English language by basically saying “oops, live TV, made a mistake, cut me some slack.” But since she mangles English in her writing as well, even WITH the benefit of an editor, her language skills are fair game…especially when she’s set herself up as the arbiter of Palin’s intelligence.

No, she didn’t address it…she tried to dismiss it.

JohnTant on December 3, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Is she the fat chick from Wilson Phillips? Did she dye her hair?

Gorgar on December 3, 2011 at 11:02 AM

She belongs there. Those are her people. She’s only useful as someone knocking Republicans, and even here, MSNBC only cares about what she has to say because she’s insulting Palin.

I really don’t understand why we’re supposed to care about someone’s opinion just because their parent(s) work in politics. My dad works on cars, so clearly I need to be on the next time a segment calls for a mechanic.

Esthier on December 3, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Round Girl was born to the Manor at least Anna hooked her whale on her own.

darwin-t on December 2, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Hey, she was smart enough to be born to it.

Wish I was that smart…