Hot Air Presidential Survey Results for December

posted at 4:06 pm on December 2, 2011 by Patrick Ishmael

For the second survey in a row, Newt Gingrich leads the pack with nearly 50% of the vote. Rick Perry has moved back into second place, coming in just ahead of Mitt Romney, who finishes third. Herman Cain has dropped from second place to fourth — this after Cain led the survey only four weeks ago. Rick Santorum surges into fifth, nearly quadrupling his vote total from two weeks ago. Ron Paul and Michele Bachmann round out the main group.

Over 7500 ballots were cast this round. The graph to date is below.

Jumping into the internals a bit, who do Cain voters say they’ll vote for if their candidate gets out? The top single vote getter turns out to be Gingrich. Top 5 are below.

And if Gingrich runs into trouble? Well, in terms of second picks that benefits…

One last chart that I think’s worth noting and I’ll get to the rest of the results. I was asked on Twitter several times yesterday why I included Palin in a survey question, now that she’s out. This is why:

Palin is still a player in this race especially among the grassroots, and so speculation about what Palin’s kind words mean for Santorum shouldn’t be taken lightly. Results follow:

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

77% are enthusiastic to vote Obama out of office

and one has to wonder why it’s not 100%. I didn’t read the question right at first and thought it was enthusiastic about voting for my candidate (Cain) and so my number was lower until I reread it – then I said HECK YES – anything that removes President PUll_ups is glory for the USA.

katablog.com on December 2, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Wow. Most interesting to me is approximately 1/3 (21% down to 14%) of Romney’s votes disappear with Palin in the mix. I thought he’d hold on to his base better than that.

Fallon on December 2, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Aslans Girl on December 2, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Thank you for the links to the speeches. They are great.

juliesa on December 2, 2011 at 6:36 PM

cant believe how much newt loses if palin is included. you ‘nistas really are something. how can anyone who supports palin vote for newt? do you people pay attention at all? do know who newt is and what he has done in the past? check your emotions at the door and research the candidates.

chasdal on December 2, 2011 at 4:34 PM

What is the common link between Palin and Gingrich? Both would go on OFFENSE against Obama. Romney has been hiding under his desk during the early part of this primary season, using a strategy to just outlast everyone else and walk to the nomination.

The palinistas back Palin because she would campaign tirelessly for sudden and relentless reform to end crony capitalism and privileged political class corruption in government.

Newt is also going on offense against the policies of Obama, as well as against the bias of the press.

We do not want a weasley WIMP to head up the ticket again this time. We tried that last time and it got us Obama. Now that Obama has a miserable record of spectacular failure as a president, he is very beatable. We want a candidate who will also beat him over the head during the general campaign. Newt would do that. Palin would do that.

Romney? No, he hides under his desk

Perry? we all know he can’t debate worth a d$mn and would be all tongue tied when it mattered.

Huntsman? pffffttt he isn’t even registering beyond a blimp

Bachmann? she will be destroyed in a general campaign and comes across as whiney when she tries to defend herself. Yeah, that is sexist but it is what it is.

Paul? he needs to get locked back up in the attic that he emerges from every 4 years to run for president.

Santorum? he couldn’t even win back his seat in the senate after one term. How could he carry anything but the reddest of states?

Johnson? He is in the wrong primary. He should be in the primary against Obama.

Cain? he won’t be in the race next week. He is going to be spanked by his wife this weekend. He blew it. He should have been proactive with these bimbo eruptions. He doesn’t have Clinton’s teflon to get away with it.

karenhasfreedom on December 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Fallon on December 2, 2011 at 6:27 PM

His base is that small sliver of progressive RINOs. That is IT. He won’t have coat tails to help the down ticket, either.

karenhasfreedom on December 2, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Fallon on December 2, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Considering this site is teeming with bitter former worshipers of failed candidates, I am surprised Romney has any support. Thankfully the rest of the country is living in the real world and makes rational choices.

csdeven on December 2, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Who is bitter? I am not bitter. I am a pragmatist. I want the GOP nominee to kick some serious a$$ in the general campaign next fall. I am very tired of the media getting on its kneepads for Obama, and very tired of anyone opposed to Obama being labeled a racist homophobe who wants dirty water and dirty air and wants to starve infants, children and old people.

I want someone who will push back against all of this crap and call out Obama as the miserable failure that he is and not pull punches when he does it.

karenhasfreedom on December 2, 2011 at 7:06 PM

I want Maw Maw Grizzly..:)

Dire Straits on December 2, 2011 at 7:19 PM

csdeven on December 2, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Romney if far from perfect but I have to laugh at all the people here who’ve suddenly started doing the dance of the seven veils over into Newt’s tent.

From all ridiculous polling numbers he’s been getting these past few days, I’m surprised he can still fit his head through the door. Talk about creating a monster.

And is asinine statement about poor kids isn’t doing us any favors.

Far from sounding “presidential” …he instead came off as a mean-spirited a-hole.

I mean, we used to LAUGH at this clown and now we’re actually thinking of nominating him?

Insanity.

The Ugly American on December 2, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Insanity.

The Ugly American on December 2, 2011 at 7:23 PM

You make a good point..I can remember when you would get laughed off the board for saying good things about Newt..:)

Dire Straits on December 2, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Dire Straits on December 2, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Must’ve been during one of my drunken blackouts.

The Ugly American on December 2, 2011 at 7:45 PM

The Ugly American on December 2, 2011 at 7:45 PM

I hear you..:)

Dire Straits on December 2, 2011 at 8:09 PM

csdeven on December 2, 2011 at 6:57 PM

We’re also Rush Limbaugh listeners and Fox News viewers.

Bret Baier made Romney crack. ‘Nuff said.

mike_NC9 on December 2, 2011 at 8:57 PM

also csdeven, between Romney, Huntsman and Gingrich, only one has tried for the nomination and failed. I’ll even give you three guesses because I’m sure you’ll need them.

mike_NC9 on December 2, 2011 at 9:00 PM

This is the Perry I came to know even before he entered the race — from watching him at Tea Party rallies and Sean Hannity’s Freedom concerts on youtube. Perry has definitely found his legs and is getting stronger.

-Aslan’s Girl

Nice speech and far more informative than 30 second sound bites in the Americal Idol Debates. You get a real sense that he actually believes and means what he says, unlike Romney or Gingrich.

I also liked his video with Marcus Lutrell, the Lone Survivor Navy Seal.

Common Sense on December 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM

chasdal on December 2, 2011 at 4:34 PM

do you
Mitt supports not understand that mitt is liked just a tab more than Obama by us nista’s?
as of now it goes anybody is better than Mitt who is better than obama

unseen on December 2, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Why,unseen, as I live and breath.

Don’t be a stranger,pal.

Elisa on December 3, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Something I find a tad disheartening is the importance placed on “Economy – Jobs”, with “Government Spending” and “Deficit – Debt” trailing. I would have thought that conservatives understand that the government’s only power to affect jobs is negatively, based on spending and taxe rates.

Spending should have been the runaway number one issue, followed closely by taxes, then the two aspects of national security. Those are, after all, the governments constitutionally valid areas of authority and responsibility. The rest all flow from those, for good or ill.

Freelancer on December 4, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Thanks Patrick. Only one quibble, would have been nice to keep Palin on the 1st graph as a reference point compared to the Perry/Cain/Newt spikes.

AH_C on December 5, 2011 at 9:39 AM