Cain: My wife didn’t know that I was giving money to my accuser

posted at 7:22 pm on December 1, 2011 by Allahpundit

Here’s the news people on Twitter are buzzing about from tonight’s raincheck interview with the Manchester Union-Leader. We already knew this, though — sort of. Cain told Wolf Blitzer on Monday, before we had heard Ginger White’s name, that his wife didn’t know White. (Skip to 7:30 of this clip.) That’s ever so slightly different from saying his wife didn’t know about White or that he was sending her cash, but c’mon: If she did know that, don’t you think he would have mentioned it to Blitzer as proof that their friendship was no secret?

Cain said that in about 70 text messages she sent him between Oct. 22 and Nov. 18, White was “asking for financial assistance. She was out of work and had trouble paying her bills and I had known her as a friend.

“She wasn’t the only friend who I had helped in these tough economic times, and so her messages to me were relating to ‘need money for rent’ or whatever the case may be. I don’t remember all the specifics.”…

“My wife now knows,” Cain said. “My wife and I have talked about it and I have explained it to her. My wife understands that I’m a soft-hearted giving person.”…

He said White did not threaten to go public with the allegation of an affair if Cain did not give her money, “nor was there any indication that there might be blackmail or anything like that…

Cain said he does not know why White has gone public with the allegation, “but I have very strong speculation that someone offered her a lot of money.

Supposedly she was desperate for cash, desperate enough that she’d risk ruining the marriage of a friend who’d been sweet enough to give her money by lying in exchange for a payout from some shadowy enemy — yet not so desperate that she’d try to blackmail Cain himself? If that’s true, she has a strange moral code.

Here’s the vid of the Union-Leader interview. Skip ahead to 22:00 and 46:00 for a few questions about White. Cain’s lawyer is pushing back by demanding copies of her phone records to try to prove that she was the one sending most of the texts, but even if that’s true, his polls are what they are. I can understand him wanting to stay in the race on principle if he’s innocent, but his support is now a wasting asset; if he wants to exchange it for something valuable, the sooner he does it, the better. Romney’s desperate to keep Cain’s supporters from bolting for Gingrich so he’d probably offer Cain something in return for an endorsement (Cain endorsed him in 2008, remember), but … what could he offer? A cabinet appointment or ambassadorship requires Senate approval, which would mean new scrutiny from Democrats of the harassment charges, White’s allegations, etc. Plus, endorsing Romney this time would complicate Cain’s brand as an authentic grassroots conservative anti-establishmentarian and he needs that brand to protect his chances at a show on Fox or a new talk-radio gig. Then again, endorsing Gingrich wouldn’t do much for his brand either. If he doesn’t endorse Mitt, then who? (Speaking of Newt, check out our very clever frontrunner turning a question about Cain into a play for social cons.)

One thing Romney has that Cain increasingly needs is campaign cash. According to WaPo, the Cain Train is almost out of steam financially, to the point where they can’t afford to run ads rebutting all the charges against him. If he ends up in debt, Romney could promise to erase his liabilities in return for an endorsement and some appearances on the stump. Obviously, though, that’ll matter much more to Romney when Cain’s still at 10-15 percent than when he’s at five. Tick tock. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Jay on December 1, 2011 at 10:35 PM

you have no grasp on what those candidates believe. those 3 are miles apart on many key issues. your throwing their names around like they are interchangable.

chasdal on December 1, 2011 at 10:52 PM

michaelo on December 1, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Good for you! Money at the right time can be a life changing and life saving thing.

katy the mean old lady on December 1, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Just busting your hump…I’m also editing a manuscript right now….

HornetSting on December 1, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Thanks. I am not a highly talented English person. I have to avoid whose and whom cause I can never remember how they are used. I am sure I could look it up and apply it, but am a tad bit lazy in that regard. But I appreciate your help.

astonerii on December 1, 2011 at 10:56 PM

So, uh… how many men was Herm giving money to over those 13 years?

JohnGalt23 on December 1, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Seems this would be the easiest way in the world to dispel these nasty rumors.
Who could criticize simple charity to both genders?

a capella on December 1, 2011 at 11:02 PM

We have our first customer. Even your longwinded posts can’t save Perry.
Latest Rasmussen Poll asked, if the primary were held today, which GOP primary candidate would you vote for?
Perry at 4%, tied with Bachmann and Santorum
Cain, with all the scandals, still at 8%.
Same sampling, if Cain drops out, who would you vote for?
Perry at 5%, moving him into fourth with most support going to Newt and Mitt.
But, keep up the good fight.

HornetSting on December 1, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I’m not fighting, you are. Your comment actually amused me.

kg598301 on December 1, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Just busting your hump…I’m also editing a manuscript right now….

HornetSting on December 1, 2011 at 8:50 PM

astonerii on December 1, 2011 at 10:56 PM

I was just messing with you…you seem like a good sport, so I take back that you have a relationship with your two hands and only three brain cells. You help your wife with the grocery list…that tops the list of good husband behavior.

HornetSting on December 1, 2011 at 11:10 PM

HornetSting on December 1, 2011 at 8:34 PM
I’m not fighting, you are. Your comment actually amused me.

kg598301 on December 1, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Which comment? The Rasmussen Poll? And, I was telling you to keep up your fight for Perry. Everyone is entitled to their choice, but some choices are looking like they might need to drop out and go home.

HornetSting on December 1, 2011 at 11:14 PM

$45,000 in cash and $35,000 in cash in two separate settlements were not awarded for harmless behavior.

sharrukin

Right…..because the same woman who tried to extort money from her next employer over an innocent email only makes claims of a serious nature, lol.

Despite acting otherwise, you have no idea what the settlements were awarded for, because no one, including the one woman who had her confidentiality agreement waived, will tell us. I wonder why that is? I’m guessing because it really wasn’t that big a deal after all.

Now for a little reality: Many many many folks have been awarded cash for harmless behavior. But you knew that. But why stick to reality when make believe can be so much more fun.

By the way folks, Cain apparently has also been giving a man money without telling his wife. I guess that means he’s into guys as well.

xblade on December 1, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Seems this would be the easiest way in the world to dispel these nasty rumors.
Who could criticize simple charity to both genders?

a capella on December 1, 2011 at 11:02 PM

batting for both sides is never totally out of the question in these things.

astonerii on December 1, 2011 at 11:15 PM

ColdWarrior57 on December 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM

There’s a difference between bragging about your charitable donations and informing your spouse whom owns half the bank account where the money is going. Also, confiding in your wife that you have 13 year friendship with another woman is not the same as being modest about your charity. Get a clue! I’d like to see if you could get away with having a secret friend you give money to with your spouse.

mizflame98 on December 1, 2011 at 11:17 PM

HornetSting on December 1, 2011 at 11:10 PM

I saw that comment. Did not look to see who wrote it. Thanks for the apology, I think it is really hard for people to do that on these internet pages. I am even too averse to doing so, even when I go a bit too far.

astonerii on December 1, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Yeah, um.

Isn’t Cain supposed to be a minister?

So, he’s been paying-off yet another past accuser or mistress? Is he this big of an idiot?

He either lied to himself or to his handlers early in his campaign nascence. If he, or they, didn’t think all of this would be any issue they need to be beaten.

Herm’ has completely embarrassed and be-clowned himself.

JoeinTX on December 1, 2011 at 11:19 PM

HornetSting on December 1, 2011 at 11:10 PM

astonerii on December 1, 2011 at 11:18 PM

I have a lot of crow, and jetboy hats, stuffed in my closet, so I’m always prepared. You’ve been called a lot of names here lately, I don’t need to pile on. I just can’t wait for Iowa so we can finally get to the main event.

HornetSting on December 1, 2011 at 11:25 PM

mizflame98 on December 1, 2011 at 11:17 PM

I can’t even imagine what my wife would do to me. It would make the Saw movies look like Winnie the Pooh.

Bill C on December 1, 2011 at 11:36 PM

I gave money over the years witout onsulting my usband. If a friend asks me in confidence, thre is no reason to ask to give my own money. I’m sure my husband didthe sam.

katy the mean old lady on December 1, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Three Questions:
1) Is this friend the opposite sex?
2) If the answer to #1 is yes, did you give him money multiple times?
3) Does your husband know or know of this friend?

mizflame98 on December 1, 2011 at 11:36 PM

So I guess Cain is a socialist after all. He was just spreading his own wealth around with out tell anyone. Sort of like what is happening in Washington with tax payer money going to all sorts of places without anyone knowing but the people cutting the checks.

Still let the voters decide. If the cries for Rick Santorum, or Rick Perry who are still running by the way are not anywhere to be found Cain should not go anywhere either. Even if the next poll has him at 3%. Say bye in February some time and then get laundered to be part of the Romney administration somewhere.

tjexcite on December 1, 2011 at 11:38 PM

And he has never told his wife about it.

HondaV65 on December 1, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I feel so sorry for his wife. To find out about a 13 year “whatevership” under these circumstances. My prayers are with Mrs. Cain.

tmontgomery on December 2, 2011 at 12:07 AM

I’m sure my husband didthe sam. katy the mean old lady on December 1, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Did sam tattle on him?

Basilsbest on December 2, 2011 at 12:13 AM

So I guess Cain is a socialist after all. He was just spreading his own wealth around with out tell anyone. tjexcite on December 1, 2011 at 11:38 PM

It appears that wasn’t all he was spreading around.

a capella on December 2, 2011 at 12:15 AM

And for next Xmas: Herman Cain’s new CD~ Gospel Songs of Biblical Lament.

Runs 99.9 minutes.

profitsbeard on December 2, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Isn’t Cain supposed to be a minister?

JoeinTX on December 1, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Yes, he is. Apparently, he has never heard of “avoiding even the appearance of evil.”

And that’s what the problem really is all about.

If he were my husband, there wouldn’t be enough pieces of him left for anyone to find, and then I’d go back and clean his clock real good! As I’ve often said to him, “Honey, if you ever decide you want to be with someone else, well and good. But I sure hope you and she like being miserable and living poor.”

GrannyDee on December 2, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Wait… are we still pretending that Democrats wouldn’t LOVE for Cain to be the nominee?

DaveS on December 1, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Democrats want to put Obama up against an actual accomplished black man who grew up in the Jim Crow South, whose very identity appeals to the emotions of the Democratic base and singlehandledly removes the race card by making any playing of it appear absurd, vindictive, and hypocritical on its face?

No way in hell. Obama can’t run on his record so he has to run on narratives. He and the media can call Herman Cain a dummy all they like. When Obama gets smoked by someone who isn’t afraid to call him out on all of his ridiculous statements “you can have a coal company but it will bankrupt you,” it’s all over.

BKennedy on December 2, 2011 at 12:37 AM

And that’s what the problem really is all about.

GrannyDee on December 2, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Man, I wish you were around to say this while I was getting crucified for saying it.

astonerii on December 2, 2011 at 12:44 AM

astonerii on December 2, 2011 at 12:44 AM

I was here, just reading through all the comments and debating about posting my thoughts. While I may not always agree with you, astonerii, on this topic we concur.

Don’t really know for sure if Mr. Cain is innocent or guilty, but the whole Ginger White escapade has the smell of three-day-old fish to it.

IMHO, it’s all about the fact that Mr. Cain did not tell his wife for 13 years what was occurring. He not only deceived his wife, but also by extension he was deceiving his children and taking money out of all of their mouths to give to Ms. White.

Mr. Cain talks frequently about his faith and sings gospel songs on the campaign trail. Fine and dandy. What I’d like to see is Mr. Cain putting some teeth into his faith and stop his lying by omission to his family. (I know he’s a wealthy man, and there are many who say, “Well, it’s his money.” But that’s a strawman argument.)

Question for all to ponder: If Mr. Cain had never run for POTUS and Ginger White had never come forward, what do any of you think the chances would have been that he would have revealed all to his wife?

GrannyDee on December 2, 2011 at 1:04 AM

I like Perry. I think he’s the best of the bunch. I will support him as long as he remains in the race. I’m glad he’s my governor. In the end he is Not. Going. To. Be. The. NOMINEE!
The man’s@ 4%. He’s not coming back.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 1, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I don’t think that is true. If this year has shown us anything, it’s that anything can happen in this primary.

Is is so unbelievable that Newt may falter in the next month or two? Either from media attacks or attacks from other campaigns or from Newt saying something totally annoying or getting too arrogant?

I think it is a real possibility.

Then what? With Cain out of the way (unfairly) and Bachmann being tarnished by the media as a joke and with her being a woman (which is an uphill battle still in this day and age), that leaves Perry and Santorum. It is most likely too late for Palin to come in again because of missed filing deadlines and she didn’t sound like she was interested tonight on Hannity.

Maybe it could add life to Santorum’s campaign, but the scenario I see is Perry resurging. He is the one with the connections, money and fund raising ability and history and he is the one with a long and successful record as an executive.

Perry has made fun of his gaffes, become endearing to some voters, and learned from his mistakes and (minus the 53 seconds which is no big deal) has performed well the past few weeks in debates and interviews.

I think it’s foolish to rule out Perry yet. Doesn’t look good for anyone except Newt and Romnney right now, but the primaries aren’t right now and ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.

Elisa on December 2, 2011 at 1:18 AM

I swear, he seems semi-literate at times, and this is one of those times. “I have very strong speculation” is a nonsense mashup. “Speculation” means a guess. “Strong speculation” is like “really pregnant” — nonsense. “Strong evidence” would make sense, but that’s obviously not what he means. If he were more intelligent, I’d suspect he phrased it this way on purpose to mislead, because using “I have” seems to imply he’s got something more than a guess. But he’s not very intelligent, so this is just more evidence of his poor communication skills.

Splashman on December 2, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Cain’s a sleaze. A charming sleaze, but still a sleaze.

He’s one of those guys that thinks he’s special because he’s reached a certain level of success. Normal standards of propriety simply don’t apply to him.

Despite Cain’s statement, I wouldn’t bet either way on whether his wife had full knowledge of this ahead of time. There are plenty of wives (coughHillarycough) willing to look the other way as they ride their husband’s coattails into the social stratosphere.

Splashman on December 2, 2011 at 1:29 AM

xblade on December 1, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Doesn’t matter. Evidently people only care about the number of accusations and that potential number is infinite. They just keep going until he is dead.

I totally understand those who don’t want him because he is damaged and they don’t want to take a chance of more attacks or public opinion going down.

what I don’t understand is CONSERVATIVES who attack him personally and believe the charges totally or are eager to dismiss the FACT that there are no facts and no proof and no credibility to any of these accusers. In fact, they only offer their word as proof, but their actual histories show they cannot be trusted.

Maybe there is some truth to this, but so far, we have seen NOTHING by way of proof, even a tiny bit. 13 years and nothing.

why pile on? Why not give him the benefit of the doubt? Especially when he has no reputation whatsoever as a womanizer. In fact everyone who knows him vouches for his character and find these allegations hard to believe. Including people in the media that I know and respect.

Here is one example of a past employee who knew him well for years:

Looks like most of the texts are from her and about money and Cain wants the records to compare to his. Cain doesn’t seem too afraid of any of the texts.

And the second woman clammed up and hasn’t even told us what she alleged Cain did. Even though she was released by the NRA to talk.

It’s a good thing White changed her story from 13 years to 13 or 14 years. Because the Holyfield/Tyson fights were 15 years ago and 14 1/2 years ago.

13-14 years can be stretched to 14 1/2 or 15 years easier than 13 years can be stretched.

Elisa on December 2, 2011 at 1:30 AM

PS My husband would never give money to a woman or a man without telling me.

But my husband is not a multi-millionaire or a minister or a larger than life figure like Cain and not as generous with strangers. Cain admitted he shouldn’t have done that.

And like xblade said, Cain also gave money to a man without telling his wife.

Maybe he was guilty of an affair. Frankly when I heard the headline on Monday, I believed it. Then I heard the facts.

So far, I am still waiting for real proof. It could be true and Cain could be a Jeckle and Hyde type pathology. Anything is possible. But I refuse to besmirch a man without more to go on. A man who still seems like a good Christian.

Even though he was poor in foreign policy, his poll numbers were still high. He was teflon because of his likability.

They had to go after the likability and put doubt in people’s minds. Get rid of him ad VP too. That would be dangerous to Obama and future Democrats (even if they lost just 15-20% of the Black vote.)

And they have succeeded. He is most likely done. Mission accomplished.

Elisa on December 2, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Apparently, he has never heard of “avoiding even the appearance of evil.”

And that’s what the problem really is all about.

GrannyDee on December 2, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Yep. But even for non-Christians, if one is wise, there are situations one avoids (e.g., alcoholic avoids driving by the liquor store) so as to (a) avoid temptation to do the wrong thing, and (b) avoid the possibility of getting stuck in a compromising situation.

Cain has proven his judgment is seriously impaired. Gary Hart redux.

Splashman on December 2, 2011 at 1:38 AM

One more thing (lol) then I’m going.

Look at how Cain messes up in interviews when he makes a mistake on foreign policy or doesn’t know an answer.

He doesn’t lie very well. He gets nervous. It’s obvious.

Then look at the calm and peace when he denies these allegations. He is getting mad at what it does to his family, but he isn’t floundering for answers.

Elisa on December 2, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Elisa on December 2, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Hmm. Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah — Obama, 2008.

This is why we simply can’t risk a complete outsider (like Cain) or a relatively inexperienced politician (Obama) as a candidate for POTUS. Without a substantial history to look at, there’s no way we can know what he’ll do in office. Talk is really, really cheap. Romney, Gingrich & Perry prove that every time they open their mouth.

Even though I really like Rubio, I wouldn’t want him to run for President before 2020. The office is too important to take a chance.

Splashman on December 2, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Elisa on December 2, 2011 at 1:40 AM

You may be right. Or he may just have more practice lying about relationships than about foreign policy.

Splashman on December 2, 2011 at 1:46 AM

GrannyDee on December 2, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Don’t have to ponder too long on that one. :)

Splashman on December 2, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Because the Holyfield/Tyson fights were 15 years ago

Elisa on December 2, 2011 at 1:30 AM

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

Holyfield-Tyson II is a name used to identify the boxing match between Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield on June 28, 1997

For those of us arithmetically challenged, that would be 14 yrs, 5 mos from the interview in question.

JohnGalt23 on December 2, 2011 at 4:45 AM

“So what…?” – President William Jefferson B. Clinton

Seven Percent Solution on December 2, 2011 at 5:44 AM

Stick a fork in him. He’s done…

Yakko77 on December 2, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Did sam tattle on him?

Basilsbest on December 2, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Tattle? No. But quite a few came to his funeral and told me wonderful stories about his kindness. Male and female.

katy the mean old lady on December 2, 2011 at 8:19 AM

JohnGalt23 on December 2, 2011 at 4:45 AM

and take 8 months off of that, she says he ended the “relationship” 8 months ago. so her approximation of the length isnt off

chasdal on December 2, 2011 at 8:42 AM

GREENVILLE, SC — Speaking before a breakfast town hall here in South Carolina, new Republican frontrunner Newt Gingrich suggested fellow GOP candidate Michele Bachmann is “factually challenged.”

During a brief exchange with reporters, Gingrich was asked about Bachmann’s claim that Gingrich’s position on illegal immigration amounts to amnesty. Bachmann criticized Gingrich’s statement that he would allow illegal immigrants who have been in the United States for 25 years to remain in the country.

What about Bachmann’s criticism? “Some people are just factually challenged,” Gingrich responded. “It’s unfortunate. When I was a teacher I occasionally had a student who couldn’t figure out where things were or what things were or what the right date was. When that happens, you feel sorry that they are so factually challenged.”

THERE IS NO WAY THIS GUY WILL BEAT OBAMA.

Factually challenged or a arrogant jackwagon……mmmmmm, sweet sweet Newtie Pie.

PappyD61 on December 2, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Cain says he’s a soft hearted giving person. We already have too many of those in DC. They’ve given away all our money from now into infinity. We need someone who’s going to cut some of those purse strings. Newt has a grasp on the process and that a decrease in an increase in spending is not a cut in spending.

Kissmygrits on December 2, 2011 at 8:54 AM

let’s not forget…

…if these gals were accusing Obama the right would HAIL these women as fearless.

….for example if Vera Baker came forward, oh nevermind.

PappyD61 on December 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM

astonerii on December 1, 2011 at 11:18 PM

OOPS….At least you admit you went too far….care to get that bug out of your system now?

People like you should get no vote.

astonerii on October 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Not that I think you will, hypocrite. This statement was patently offensive. Have you ever apologized for it?

Do it. Do it now.

runawayyyy on December 2, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Mr. Cain still gets the benefit of any doubt on this one from me (and no, I never rode on that train) as I have yet to see any irrefutable evidence from any of these accusers. Why anyone would think that benefit should go the accusations is beyond me. At this point, it still seems more likely that the smear machine wants this man to be a nonexisting consideration on any ticket.

lynncgb on December 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Have we run out of ways to say that Cain’s time in the GOP race is about over?

It was good while it lasted, but in the end, the fat lady sang (or filed a complaint), the car ran out of gas, the fork was stuck into the campaign, and the needle reached the end of the record.

Silly black conservative, unless you lived in a monastery, every little thing you’ve ever done will eventually COME OUT (thanks to the willing allies of the statists in the MSM) because you are more dangerous than international terrorists on the American political landscape. Accept that.

itzWicks on December 2, 2011 at 9:47 AM

So America has become the land of guilty until proven innocent – heck, this is all based upon accusations in the media. And now, having a meal with someone or giving them money – or NOT – is proof of an affair, a liar, incompetence. Meanwhile a man who has had serial affairs and divorces and started it all at age 16 with a teacher – is somehow a better candidate? Not to mention that a Dem had sex in the Oval office and lied under oath (which is what the Impeachment was about, NOT the sex – and everyone is ok about all that). The hypocrisy is stunning but worse, even people who claim to be Republicans are buying into it, big time.

I weep for America – because a viable candidate – indeed possibly one of the most qualified candidates – is being shot down by a bunch of unemployed single mothers, the dnc, the media – but most importantly by the Party and supposed supporters who claim to be on his side but ontinue to not only ALLOW it – but jump right on board.

If America allows this attempt by the media (or Dem candidate) to force their choice for the GOP to continue (did we not learn how badly that can work out with McCain) things in America will continue to get worse, not better.

And I’m not sure that America can stand 4 more years of Obama.

jackal40 on December 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I have to say, this affair allegation rings true and it’s pretty obvious that Herman and Gloria live very separate lives. For some women, a straying husband they aren’t intimate with is a fair tradeoff for access to his millions in their account. Keeping appearances. I’m thinking he did feel his longstanding relationship with Ginger would be kept under wraps as he provided her with money. Really shows his naivete. Still admire his amazing success in life and how far he’s come, but his personal life is too unsavory for him to continue any aspirations in national politics. He seems to be under the illusion of having his personal life under control and he sure as hell does not. You can’t run for the highest office in the land with this sordid personal life. You can’t.

Seriously, I’m not donating another red cent to any candidate until they instill a 30-day refund policy. Talk about a bait and switch. Bad boy, Herman.

RepubChica on December 2, 2011 at 10:15 AM

People like you should get no vote.

astonerii on October 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Do it. Do it now.

runawayyyy on December 2, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Why, when you make your mind up on who to vote for for the reason’s that poster stated, I am right. They should not get to vote. Just like I told my very own grandmother to skip voting in the 1990′s, why? Because her criteria for who to vote for was the more handsome of the two candidates. Anyone remember the Obama voters knowledge about the candidates when they voted? That was heads and shoulders above that person’s.

astonerii on December 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM

… look at his foreign policy brochure. it looks like something done by a middle schooler. i know he didnt personally prepare it but the experts he surrounds himself did, and he obviously ok’ed it being released. doesnt inspire much confidence.

chasdal on December 1, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Love the way China is depicted as basically a big blank spot on the ‘My Assessment Our Key Country Relations’ graphic. Heh!

DarkCurrent on December 2, 2011 at 10:48 AM

A random question. Whassername claims he has texted her and called her dozens of times. I would assume, therefore, that the press has the phone number. Riiigggghtt?

Has any reporter attempted to call the number to see who answers?
Has any reporter attempted to find out who pays the bills on that phone number? How do we know it is not her mother’s number?

As far as the text messages coming from “Herman Cain”, you all realize that your phone has an address list that is nothing but a list of numbers. You, as the OWNER of the phone can go into this list and attach a name of your choosing to any phone number. You can assign the name “Marilyn Monroe” to your landlady’s phone number and that name will appear when you get a call or text from that phone number. You can get messages from BeYond ThE GrAvE!

Log onto your account on your carrier’s website and you can do the same to your phone bill.

It would be a damn shame if, after that marxist neo-fascist gets reelected that we discover that this dame was bat sh!t crazy. Cain’s presidential aspirations – as well as his marriage – have been dashed for no damn good reason.

kurtzz3 on December 2, 2011 at 10:52 AM

I think it is tragic that yet another man has made a mockery of our political scene. Cain is obviously a conservative in politics but a liberal when it comes to women. What in the world would make him think that he would be able to have a 13 year mistress situation and not have that sniffed out by the OBAMA press????? He apparently isn’t as smart as I had hoped he was.
If this is true it turns out he is just another liar and cheat that has deceived his supportive wife for decades and Ginger White probably wasn’t his first or only.

Now the problem is WHO do we vote for? Of course the answer is WHOEVER is left standing and maybe we should give MICHELLE BACHMAN a chance to show that she is a real conservative and the best WOMAN for the job. I bet we wouldn’t find out that she has had an affair and/or sexual harrassment charges. We can also assume there would be no cigar tricks in the Oval office.

SgtRed on December 2, 2011 at 10:59 AM

kurtzz3 on December 2, 2011 at 10:52 AM

you are way behind it looks like. the reporter texted the number and got a reply from cain. instead of skimming headlines read the articles. lots of good stuff in there.

chasdal on December 2, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Has any reporter attempted to call the number to see who answers?

kurtzz3 on December 2, 2011 at 10:52 AM

To answer this question, yes they did text the number and Cain responded to them. That part has been verified.

SgtRed on December 2, 2011 at 11:00 AM

After reading many of the posts here, I HAVE A QUESTION:

For many years, I have occasionally given money to the Salvation Army.

I understand that, among other things, the Salvation Army gives aid to prostitutes.

Does this mean that I can never run for President??

(I’m a little hazy on the Cain rule…and whether it applies if I’m not black…and whether it would apply if I’m not a conservative)

landlines on December 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Has any reporter attempted to call the number to see who answers?

kurtzz3 on December 2, 2011 at 10:52 AM

The original Atalanta reporter that broke the story called the number, and Herman Cain called back. Which, if you had bothered to keep up, wouldn’t have to be explained to you.

You have trouble reading, don’t you?

JohnGalt23 on December 2, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Does this mean that I can never run for President??

landlines on December 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM

“Giving aid”?

Is that what the kids are calling it nowadays?

JohnGalt23 on December 2, 2011 at 11:07 AM

kurtzz3 on December 2, 2011 at 10:52 AM

and also, dont you think cain wouldve denied any contact if there had been none? he has verified they know each other and he gave her money. your whole post reeks of ignorance of the facts.

chasdal on December 2, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Just hearing that Cain is dropping out

ConservativePartyNow on December 2, 2011 at 11:08 AM

landlines on December 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM

oh crap, another fool making the equilavency argument. you giving to a charity that than gives to others is not the same as herm directly giving this woman money. it makes you look stupid to even make that kind of justification.

chasdal on December 2, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Has any reporter attempted to call the number to see who answers?

kurtzz3 on December 2, 2011 at 10:52 AM

The Fox reporter, who conducted the first interview with Ginger White, was shown a much used phone number from her records. He called the number, Cain answered and they talked about his acquantice with Ginger which he admitted. I imagine that conversation created some acid reflux for Herman.

a capella on December 2, 2011 at 11:09 AM

it’s over. whether he drops out or not, giving money to the opposite sex over 13 years is a no go.

katablog.com on December 2, 2011 at 11:17 AM

per @DavidLimbaugh (Rush’s brother), his wife wants him to drop out. If that is true, he should quit today.

ConservativePartyNow on December 2, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Skandia Recluse on December 1, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Thank you…it really is all about asking the right questions both of the accused and THE ACCUSERS!!! BOTH in the scenarion being discussed and those here discussing it!!!!

RedLizard64 on December 2, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Just hearing that Cain is dropping out

ConservativePartyNow on December 2, 2011 at 11:08 AM

‘Bout time if it’s true.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 2, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Okay – well here’s what we know …

1. WE KNOW that Cain had allegations of sexual harassment filed against him when he was at the NRA.

2. WE KNOW that the NRA paid settlements of one year’s salary to each of the complainants.

3. WE KNOW that Herman Cain has an ongoing relationship with this new woman for 13 years – and she’s had his personal cell phone number and the two have exchanged a lot of texts.

4. WE KNOW that Cain has paid her money over the years. He says, because he’s a “nice guy” and was just giving it to her without any expectation of a “quid pro quo” – if you can believe that.

5. WE KNOW that Cain’s been helping this woman for THIRTEEN YEARS and never, ever told his wife about her.

That’s not fire – but it’s gawddamned heavy smoke if ever I smelt it.

The kicker here is not telling the wife. Sure, I can see if Herman Cain gave a few buck to a woman ONE TIME – he might not tell his wife.

But he’s been helping her on numerous occasions over the period of THIRTEEN YEARS and he didn’t think it was important to mention it to his wife? He’s a dumazz mofo then – because what’s a wife supposed to think if she finds out about a long standing relationship, kept secret – where money exchanged hands?

Let’s face it – we have enough to conclude here that …

A. Herman Cain has ATROCIOUSLY BAD JUDGEMENT.

B. Has some kind of problem with women.

HondaV65 on December 1, 2011 at 8:32 PM

YEs – #1, #3 ok and then what…the then what automatically gets filled in by all the soap opera stuff that we are exposed to on TV and Cable! #4 ok…how much? how many times? was each time a different amount? did she ever pay any of it back? did they have a “gentlemans” agreement on repayment or was it a gift? Are there any other people he has done this for including men or children? #5 Again how often was it once 13 years ago, ad then again 7 years ago and then she is htting up up for the last time recently? Did he tell her that he couldn’t help her this time because it would look bad during the campaign? Did she retaliate by taking her sob story to the press?
NO – #2 – I have only read one of the amounts in print and it was Approximately 45k…we do not know that this represented a full years salary…it could have been 6 months or 18 months…or set using something like an actuary table or just arbitrarily.

A. Bad Judgement yes but atrocious would be what Bil Clinton did in the oval office and to date I have seen no evidence on par with a blue dress.

B. Maybe he really is a knight in shining albeit now media tainted armour?

I had a friend that did as much for a military family but he focused on the kids, because their dad deployed a lot and the kids usually didn’t have much in the way of clothes, Christmas etc. I can tell you for a fact that he was not shacking up with the guys wife or molesting his kid…to this day I still consider him my best miltary friend…despite some imperfectionsin other areas of his life.

RedLizard64 on December 2, 2011 at 11:50 AM

BrideOfRove on December 1, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Please provide a link to the article or transcript were she says Sex, love affair, physical relationship….because I wathced the interview and she conveniently parsed it so one might get htat impression, but she would easily have plausible deniablity later…”I never said THAT!!!”

RedLizard64 on December 2, 2011 at 12:02 PM

tjexcite on December 1, 2011 at 11:38 PM

That doesn’t make him a socialist…it was his money…it makes hima philanderer, er… philatrop, er…a good deed doer!!!!

RedLizard64 on December 2, 2011 at 12:11 PM

in the headline article about cain’s support slipping in iowa the main reason people give is his lack of knowledge on the issues. that ignorance is finally catching up to him.

chasdal on December 2, 2011 at 12:40 PM

RedLizard64 on December 2, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Ginger White interview and click on video describing gifts. Several videos of the interview plus a portion of the transcript. Full disclosure, I never watch MSNBC but found the link somewhere else.

momoftxmomof3 on December 2, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Hear that?! Its the sound of ‘Taps’ playing for Herman Cain’s Presidential ‘Run’…

Backround checks of most of these women making accusations against Cain have shown connections to Chicago, Obama aides, past histories of filing complaints against a lot of others, and of their financial woes. The fact that Cain has been paying the supposed ‘Mistress’ without his wife knowing about it and telling a reporter this his personal life, is nobody’s business is finally enough to give the most ardent optimist doubt and enough for Cain to pack up the Circus and go home. Sad…I liked him…until he turned into ‘Tiger Woods’. :p

easyt65 on December 2, 2011 at 12:42 PM

At this point, Cain could best help the nation’s conservative cause by getting out of the way and letting those Iowa votes(8%)go to Newt. Why? Because Newt is the only person that as of now can beat Romney who is anything but a conservative. Mittens is a toggle swith politician and is the most pretencipled candidate we’ve seen in either party for a long time…most frighteningly, the darling of the establishment GOP, which has proven for decades now-except for Reagan whom they loathed-that it really doesn’t intend to be conservative or even make a slight effort to oppose the pure destructive socialism at hand.

They won’t reverse Obamacare because, they too, enjoy controlling one more seventh of the economy and with such power can remain entrenched in their lucrative positions of power till eternity (well almost)

Goal one -vote Newt in the primary to stop Oramney
Goal two – pray that Newt isn’t more dangerous than he.
Goal three -a brokered convention where the GOP establishment that took down Sarah Palin that we may not be allowed to decide upon her, doesn’t get the decision.

I know -stop dreaming Don L….

Don L on December 2, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Because the Holyfield/Tyson fights were 15 years ago

Elisa on December 2, 2011 at 1:30 AM

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

JohnGalt23 on December 2, 2011 at 4:45 AM

You misquoted me by cutting off my quote. Here is what I said:

Elisa on December 2, 2011 at 1:30 AM

The most recent fight was 14 1/2 years ago (like I said.) Take off 8 months and you have 14 years, if he took her to the fight in the first months of their “relationship.”

That is why I said it was a good thing she changed her story from 13 years to 13-14 yrs. Because 13 years, plus 8 months, cannot be stretched to 14 1/2 years. The 13-14 years, plus the 8 months, can be stretched to 14 1/2 years, if they went to the fight immediately in their “relationship.”

Get it?

Cain is done. Yes. Whether he drops out or not.

But my point is that there is no proof of these things and these women are not credible. Yet Cain was taken down. At one time (whether the story was true or not) a story wouldn’t be published or picked up by others without any proof. There was a pretense of journalism.

And conservatives should defend Cain until there is proof, because they will continue to smell blood in the water with our other candidates from here on. Not just in 2012.

Even if he is done and even if you don’t support him, a conservative should not besmirch his reputation without FACTS.

Especially when he has no reputation whatsoever as a womanizer and his reputation by all who know him is good.

Elisa on December 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM

The man admitted paying off/giving money to a woman for years without his wife’s knowledge. Charity begins at home, but this reeks of far more than just charity. We can do better as we scramble to find a throughbred race horse among recycled glue-factory grade nags.

Don L on December 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Don L on December 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM

We could have done better. That ship sailed months ago.

gryphon202 on December 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

gryphon202 on December 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

She wouldn’t have been better.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Here is how Cain should have publicly addressed this since the beginning – granted it is from his website but does address most of the issues – not a single JournOlist is even broaching:
Another Loser trying to Cash in

jackal40 on December 2, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I am of the opinion that Cain is being railroaded out of the race by those that are trying to protect the status quo, media and politicians both.

I’ve been trying to decipher all of this since it started and I’ve just now made up my mind.

If Cain stays in the race, and pulls his act together I think he can recover.

If he drops out, I may go to Bachman or Santorum. If we’re left with Gingerich or Romney, I’ll vote for a third party that actually stands for conservatism.

samuelrylander on December 2, 2011 at 2:33 PM

gryphon202 on December 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM

She wouldn’t have been better.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Seriously, you’re a moron if that’s the conclusion you lept to. I said we could have done better. I didn’t say anything about any particular candidate — because there are about FOUR of them I would have voted for in the primaries over ANY of the current crop.

gryphon202 on December 3, 2011 at 12:21 AM