Florida: Gingrich 47, Romney 17, Cain 15, Paul 5

posted at 4:27 pm on November 30, 2011 by Allahpundit

I know what you’re thinking: “Didn’t Jazz already blog the new giant-lead-for-Gingrich-in-Florida poll?” Actually, no — that was a different poll, conducted by Insider Advantage. This new one comes from PPP. We’ve now got two separate surveys showing Newt Gingrich — Newt Gingrich — above 40 percent in a key battleground state with Romney 20+ points behind.

Come on now. We’re not really going to do this, are we?

In addition to his support for the nomination, Romney’s personal popularity is down too. His Florida favorability was +43 (65/22) and it’s declined 28 points to +15 (51/36). He’s dropped in Montana too although it’s a more modest change there from +11 (47/36) to only +5 (44/39)…

The magnitude of Gingrich’s leads now is an indication that he’s appealing to every segment of the Republican electorate. He’s up with the Tea Party in both states (53% to 24% for Cain and 7% for Romney in Florida, 42% to 18% for Bachmann, 13% for Cain, 10% for Paul, and 5% for Romney in Montana.) But he’s winning over party moderates as well (33% to 22% for Romney in Florida, 31% to 17% for Romney in Montana.) Gingrich’s favorability in Florida is 72/21 and in Montana it’s 65/23. You don’t attain those kinds of numbers without having a lot of appeal to every faction in the party…

As strong as Gingrich is in these polls there’s still evidence he could get stronger. Despite his troubles this week, which voters may not yet be fully aware of, Cain hit double digits on both of these polls. If his declining support bottoms out after the newest set of revelations, Gingrich will be the beneficiary. 45% of Cain voters in Florida say he is their second choice to only 13% for Romney and in Montana Cain backers prefer Newt over Romney 35-11 as a back up.

How strong is the sudden surge of Newtmania? Dude:

The only good news for Romney is that he stands to inherit most of Gingrich’s voters if Newt crumbles, but since there’s already a Cain crumble in progress and Newt stands to mop up most of those votes, the Gingrich implosion would have to be truly cataclysmic to make Florida safe for Mitt before the primary. Another reason he’s doing especially well in Florida is seniors: He was more than 20 points better than his closest competitor among the 65+ crowd in CNN’s latest national poll and PPP’s got him above 54 percent in its new one. We all know what senior turnout is like so he should have no problem getting people to the polls against Romney. He joked this morning at an event in South Carolina that he “only” wants the 65 percent of Republicans that haven’t already committed to Romney or Ron Paul. The way he’s going in Florida, he might get it.

Now, serious question: How is it we’ve landed on Newt instead of taking a second look at Perry? Perry’s last few debates have been fine and he’s spent months groveling to make amends for calling his immigration critics heartless. And of course he’s still got that glamorous Texas jobs record to wield against Obama in the general if he makes it that far. He’s down to almost an asterisk in PPP’s Florida poll, though — just two percent, a point behind Huntsman, after peaking at 24 percent there just two months ago. His favorable rating is an almost unimaginable 27/55, which is right in line with other recent eyepopping surveys. How did we arrive in a universe where there’s an almost 50-point spread in likability between Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich? Isn’t Newt the guy who was a big Donald Berwick fan before being a Donald Berwick fan was decidedly uncool? Wasn’t he way ahead of the curve in pushing health-care ideas like the mandate that conservatives are now ready to destroy Romney for? Didn’t he spend a chunk of the last decade lobbying, in consummate “insider” fashion, and then lamely trying to pretend that it wasn’t, you know, lobbying-lobbying? Hasn’t he been the tea party’s public enemy number one more than once, having endorsed Dede Scozzafava in that special election in New York and then dumping on Paul Ryan’s budget this summer? What about this cavalcade of Newt’s bright ideas that Jim Geraghty spent the morning compiling? Via the Daily Caller, listen to the Mark Steyn clip below for a gloss on that. And yet, and yet, thanks to his surge among Republicans, he’s now viable enough to lead Obama head-to-head and stands a not insignificant chance of running the table in the early states. How did it come to this? Exit quotation: “Whereas I would have thought originally it was going to be Mitt and not-Mitt, I think it’s going to — it may turn out to be Newt and not-Newt.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Newt is the only grownup in the race:

Punchenko on November 30, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Politico. lol.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Newt Lifetime ACU Rating is 94%

jp on November 30, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Did they evaluate him based upon his ongoing Liar Skills?

“It’s amnesty but it isn’t amnesty but it’s amnesty but it isn’t. And you’re a (Gingrich condemnation double=negative here) for asking me about this.”

And, you know, I didn’t know that support for Cap’n’Trade was an aspect of being “conservative.” Imagine that.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Politico. lol.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Yes, I agree, “Politico, LOL” but DID YOU READ THE Q&A?

Rather than ridicule the messenger, why don’t you just read the thing and review the results?

THEN try ridiculing the information. After you’ve read it.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Just his voting record spanning 2 decades, much if it in House Leadership.

jp on November 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Newt is the only grownup in the race:

Punchenko on November 30, 2011 at 6:30 PM

A grown up who should be in jail, according to his own standards.

Chudi on November 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Newt is the only grownup in the race:

Punchenko on November 30, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I have much higher standards for being “grown up” than that.

Notice I’m not engaged in writing what some of you are, say, for example:

“Spectator, LOL”.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

O/T

If y’all haven’t listened to Adam Carrolla’s absolutely epic, ten-minute rant on OWS yet, you should give it a whirl: http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2011/11/30/adam_carolla_is_the_new_rick_santelli.html

Lawdawg86 on November 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Wednesday, January 22, 1997:

The Republican House voted overwhelmingly yesterday to reprimand House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) and order him to pay an unprecedented $300,000 penalty, the first time in the House’s 208-year history it has disciplined a speaker for ethical wrongdoing.

The ethics case and its resolution leave Gingrich with little leeway for future personal controversies, House Republicans said. Exactly one month before yesterday’s vote, Gingrich admitted that he brought discredit to the House and broke its rules by failing to ensure that financing for two projects would not violate federal tax law and by giving the House ethics committee false information.

“Newt has done some things that have embarrassed House Republicans and embarrassed the House,” said Rep. Peter Hoekstra (R-Mich.). “If [the voters] see more of that, they will question our judgment.”

haner on November 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Romney has always been too perfect, too slick for me; however, I never saw him as thin-skinned as he appeared last night with Bret Baier.

The last 3 years have been spent with a President who bristles at reporters, even as they act as his cheerleaders and lapdogs. This country cannot take another President who is as stuck on himself as Obama has been and continues to be. I have no love for the media but I have little respect for those who are unable to answer the tough questions without acting like they should not have to deign to answer them — or that they are so above it all that those questions should never be asked at all.

I really wanted Rick Perry to do well but he flubbed up and made everyone who didn’t like or had problems with GWB’s flubs implant an indelible link between Perry and GWB. I would love to see him as VP but won’t support him unless Newt blows up.

At this point, I see Gingrich as the only person whose baggage has been out there so long it just isn’t going to make a difference. He is astute, well-spoken, versed in dealing with the press (i.e. capable of placing a well-chosen barb under their skin without getting blow-back from voters or actually gaining respect since just about everyone views the “fourth estate” with as much pride as the current Congress). He will be the exact opposite of Obama — he’ll be engaged in what is going on with the country and his understanding of how Congress actually works will assist him in hashing out agreements with them. He is enough of an historian that he will understand what faces our country in light of what we have overcome in the past.

Newt sat on a couch with Pelosi. Romney called Teddy Kennedy his good friend. They all have faults. In the end I trust Newt more than I trust Mitt. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t have loved to have had more, better, choices this go around but I am content that Newt can beat Obama.

If the economy gets even a little better, no one will beat Obama. That’s just the way it is.

Greyledge Gal on November 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Liar Skills?
Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Those living in glass houses …

re:
Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM

gh on November 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Just his voting record spanning 2 decades, much if it in House Leadership.

jp on November 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM

AND?

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Because the messenger is a propagandist for the other side. Like Chudi.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Liar Skills?
Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Those living in glass houses …

re:
Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM

gh on November 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

You and the few like you here are like a very badly written and gruesomely drawn comicbook.

So now I’m the liar and Gingrich is, ohh, Santa Claus, what?

And where have I been a liar? Show me, point it out. Gossip isn’t allowed, you will have to respond with facts, something from reality.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Was ever woman in this humor wooed?
Was ever woman in this humor won
I’ll have her, but I will not keep her long.
What? I that killed her husband and his
to take her in her heart’s extremest hate,
with curses in her mouth, tears in her eyes,
the bleeding witness of my hatred by,
having God, her conscience, and these bars against me,
and I no friends to back my suit at all
but the plain devil and dissembling looks?
And yet to win her! All the world to nothing!
Ha!

PersonFromPorlock on November 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Because the messenger is a propagandist for the other side. Like Chudi.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 6:36 PM

You’re threatened by reality. So you’re making desperate insults. I see now why you find Gingrich appealing.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM

…but I am content that Newt can beat Obama.

Greyledge Gal on November 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Newt Gingrich took millions of dollars from Freddie Mac as it was going under. Obama will make the election about him, and basically make the whole election the same as the last one.

You people have all really lost ur minds. I really need to have some of what you people are smoking…

Chudi on November 30, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Permanent residency or citizenship.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Cap and trade.

I support it on a global basis.

Imagine that.

sharrukin on November 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Maybe you can convince JimBob to order you up a Filipino or Russian bride, that would keep you occupied for a while longer.

And notice I’m not the one who has created entire websites about “her”. Hardly an indication of what you suggest.

But the Hate-Romney bunch have. I just find it obnoxious that you continue your attacks upon any who hasn’t stumbled into your sect or writes about anything else.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Are you having a bad day or something, Lourdes? I usually find myself nodding in agreement when I read your comments but today you seem like you are really going after people.

cynccook on November 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Get some help.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Ron Paul hits Gingrich hard…..I mean really really hard. I’ve never seen an ad that scathing….uses Rush Limbaugh to Newt….wow…..just wow.

sheryl on November 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Romney Derangement Syndrome makes people do weird things, including the party committing suicide when it loses a very winnable election in 2012.

haner on November 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Haner, do you know that in 2012 Warner Brothers is planning on releasing the film Version of “Under the Banner of Heaven”, based on the the 2003 anti-Mormon book? Ron Howard will be directing. Do you think it is a coincidence that 9 years after it’s publication, it just happens to be hitting the silver screen in an election year where the presumed Republican nominee is a Mormon? There is a reason why the MSM isn’t talking about Mormonism right now and it’s the same reason why they are criticizing anyone who doesn’t want Mitt as the nominee: they think they have a way to get Obama back in and it will only work if Mitt wins the primary. Is this fair? Of course not. Will it work? Think about it.

Kataklysmic on November 30, 2011 at 6:41 PM

gh on November 30, 2011 at 6:36 PM

And yet you still won’t read that Q&A and consider and discuss the results.

It’s a HISTORY of three politicians’ legislative histories, and their histories on the issues.

Nothing there fictional. It’s information about the histories of Romney, Huntsman and Gingrich.

Gingrich’s results are the most startling because he ends up being to the Left of Romney who is to the Left of Huntsman. ON THE ISSUES.

Who’s the Real RINO?

And yet there he is, Gingrich, demanding he’s “the real Conservative” when considered among his “opponents”.

I guess now the GOP voters are his “opponents”? Is that what he’s suggesting? Sounds like it.

He’s another Progressive.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Chudi on November 30, 2011 at 6:39 PM

And purportedly Gingrich offered them advice which might have staved off the financial meltdown. Now, Chudi, I know it’s hard to see your Cain dreams die, but come on.

cynccook on November 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:37 PM

I provided the reference. You did not seem to have the wit to read it.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Ron Paul hits Gingrich hard…..really, really hard. I’ve never seen an attack ad that scathing before…..wow…..just wow.

sheryl on November 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM

sheryl on November 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I assume we can expect as much enthusiasm from you if Paul releases an ad hitting Mitt, right? Let me guess, that one will be full of spin and half truths taken out of context. I mean, it’s not like any clips of Rush hitting Mitt can be dug up. /

Kataklysmic on November 30, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM

There’s just as much bad stuff written about Romney. Some of it’s been posted in this thread. But it comes from conservative sources rather than liberal ones. Gingrich’s baggage is fairly well-known.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Kataklysmic on November 30, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Oh, my meeting with the Vast Leftwing Media Special Flying Saucers is underway, I have to go and float up to them in the sky for a moment where we’ll work on the next Big Campaign to arrange how people vote and for whom.

Look, seriously, a vote for Romney and/or support for the man is NOT an aspect of some Vast Leftwing Conspiracy. No Leftwinger would tolerate my Conservative beliefs, views or associations.

But apparently it’s just gotta’ be some Big Leftwing Conspiracy that “wants Romney.”

At this rate,, Dog the Bounty Hunter could win against Obama. The important thing is Congress, gaining a GOP majority in the Senate and holding it in the House, and in electing a functional, responsive, capable President from the GOP who AT LEAST isn’t another Progressive Liar.

That, to me, places Gingrich in the “can’t vote for him” lot.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Perry?! Another Texas Pretty Boy controlled completely by his wife. I have no idea why RedState and Hot Air keep pushing him whilst having bashed Palin, then Cain and now Gingrich.

Sure, Perry is Pretty, but pretty Texas males are a dime a dozen in Texas (Texas, where the men are men, and the sheep know it! – my favorite all-time Texan joke). BTW, not speaking about gays here. Perry was basically exposed when he had to open his mouth and brain at the same time.

Karmi on November 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM

As I see it, Newt came up with individual mandate as an idea in his fight against Hillarycare and it was quickly disbursed through policy circles like Heritage from where Romney picked and implemented it. I am not sure who is worse, ROmney who acted on it or Newt who was the driving force behind the idea.

promachus on November 30, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Not long ago I came across an article on how Mitt came up with Romneycare, seems he was already thinking of running for President and wanted a “signature” accomplishment in MA to hang his hat on… he asked a good friend for suggestions, one was tear down and rebuild Logan Airport — the other was a socialized healthcare plan. Romney chose door 2 and ran it all the way up the flag pole. Face is while he keeps supporting Romneycare he tries to pass it off as something he was handed when, in fact, it WAS his baby all along.

I think a description of Newt earlier this week is apt: he is a man of a thousand ideas and the attention span of a one-year-old. Problem is, some of those ideas create real problems in a real world and hid glib tongue looks like he is not going to be called to answer for them.

Rapunzel on November 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Wow. These Lourdes threads bring back memories of 18 hour postings and 10,368 comment Palin threads.

Memories.

portlandon on November 30, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Hell, wait till she stops clutching her Pop-It beads abd starts typing with both hands.

katy the mean old lady on November 30, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Kataklysmic on November 30, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Hollywood is always going to be feeding the public Leftwing grunge. And why that is so is because Hollywood as an industry is nearly “99%” populated by the Leftwing.

Stop being surprised at that and try to do something about it, like not being a consumer of their products.

How many people who hate Hollywood use XBOX and buy DVDs (or order them) and purchase games and such? All of that funds the Leftwing Hollywood industry of Being Leftwing.

And Ron Howard is a flaming Liberal. It’s no surprise to anyone. So is Tom Hanks. So is Steven Spielberg. So is Dreamworks, So are the distributors (run by very Leftwing people)… so is just about every actor in the business who gets hired to do much of anything.

It’s a Leftwing industry. Not a surprise that they’d try to worm product into the mix of things in relationship with the Presidential election. They always have, they always will.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Romney: “Those people that are here illegally today should have the opportunity to register and to have their status identified. And those individuals should get in line with everyone else that’s in line legally. They should not be placed ahead of the line. They should instead go at the back of the line. And they should not be allowed to stay in this country and be given permanent residency or citizenship merely because they’ve come here illegally.”

Baier: Doesn’t that resemble Gingrich’s view

“My view’s pretty straightforward: For those people who’ve come here illegally, they should have the opportunity to get in line with everybody else who wants come into this country. But they got to the back of the line. And they should be given no special pathway to citizenship or permanent residency merely because they’ve come here illegally.”

Baier: So they do it outside this country?

Romney: “I…ah…uh…Whether they apply here or whether they apply by going home. I think I’ve said in the past it makes more sense for them to home.”

Baier: What of the 11 million here? You made a point in 2006 you made a point we’re not going to round them up and send them out.

Romney: “There’s a great interest on the part of some to talk about what we do with the 11 million. My interest is saying let’s make sure that we secure the border. And we don’t do anything that talks about bringing in a new wave of those — or attracting a new wave of people into the country illegally. The right course for us is to secure the border and say nothing about amnesty or tuition breaks to illegal aliens or anything else that draws people into the country illegally.

Seriously? “There’s great interest on the part of some to talk about what we do with the 11 million.” Umm, yeah, you wanted to talk about it Mitt.

Anyone who still thinks Romney is the most “electable” candidate, watch this interview in its entirety: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2011/11/bret-baier-qa-shows-why-mitt-romney-shies-away-from-media-asking-about-his-record.html#ixzz1fEeeiO5X

Lawdawg86 on November 30, 2011 at 6:50 PM

And it ain’t over…

idesign on November 30, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Ever HOPEFUL!!!!

RedLizard64 on November 30, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Will a Romney supporter with knowledge please respond: Is there a meaningful and substantive response to this criticism of Romney?

Romney keen on socialized eco-friendly economy:

Worse, do Republican primary voters really want the person who the out-of-control job and freedom killing Obama EPA looked to for some of its most draconian ideas?

As reported in the conservative blogs Moonbattery and HOTAIR; “the Romney administration in 2005 essentially did what Barack Obama’s EPA wants to do now. He imposed CO2 emission caps — the “toughest in the nation” — in an effort to curtail traditional energy production.

“Not only did Romney impose these costly new regulations, he then imposed price caps to keep power companies from passing the cost along to the consumer. As we have seen in Romney-Care, regulation and price controls eventually drive businesses into bankruptcy or relocation.”

More chilling than that bit of socialist nanny-state big government interference is who Romney looked to for advice regarding the plan. As reported by these two conservative sites, it was none other than Obama’s Chief “science” adviser, John Holdren.

Punchenko on November 30, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Thanks.

GaltBlvnAtty on November 30, 2011 at 6:51 PM

(imperfect) FEARLESS, CONSISTENT, CONSERVATIVE.

Sorry Mistress Newt ain’t it.

Neither is Mittens or Huntsman.

That leaves who?

PappyD61 on November 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM

katy the mean old lady on November 30, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Such trolling, old lady!

And what in the world are “Pop-It beads”? Are those something that you learned about from the Alzheimer’s Homecare network?

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I’m curious why the demand for answers from others when you all refuse to discuss questions about facts as posed by others?

Just asking.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Such trolling, old lady!

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Okay. Time to pour a lovely glass of chardonnay and take a warm bath, Lourdes.

cynccook on November 30, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:37 PM

I provided the reference. You did not seem to have the wit to read it.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I don’t know to what “reference” you refer.

If you’d provide it again, please do.

All I read from you was something typed about Gingrich’s “legislative history” that lacked any links or further reference.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Why don’t you just answer his question? He was not being confrontational and he did not require you to follow any links to other sites.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Karmi on November 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM

I hardly say this – but you are a dunce.

That Texas pretty boy you refer to – and you appear to be jealous of either him or his wife – balanced his state budget, is the first Governor since reconstruction to ever cut spending in real terms, and has led his state into becoming the number one job creator in these trying times.

We could very well do with his “dumbness” at this juncture of our nation’s existence – rather than placing into power another Washington insider (Gingrich).

TheRightMan on November 30, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Okay. Time to pour a lovely glass of chardonnay and take a warm bath, Lourdes.

cynccook on November 30, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Perhaps you and steebo missed your last shot?

I mean, you seem to be indecently slurry about my personal life, so I wonder about your fuzzy-substance obsessions.

I don’t care for “chardonnay” and the last person I’d discuss a bath with would be you.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Just follow the posts backwards and READ them. I didn’t post anything on “Gingrich’s legislative history” so you are clearly typing way too fast and reading far too little.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 6:59 PM

I’m a huge supporter of Ryan and have now turned to Gingrich (since Ryan won’t run). So I think I might be able to offer insight on this. I was incensed when Newt said that about Ryan. However, the story didn’t just end with that guy confronting Newt. Newt has gone on to explain what he meant when he was talking about “right-wing social engineering” and I think has done enough to show that he wasn’t specifically talking about Ryan’s plan. He also contacted Ryan about it to clarify his statement and explained what he was talking about on Rush. Ryan and Newt both let it go.

What I think has happened with that comment is that what he said has been forgotten in our defense of Ryan. He basically was saying that he doesn’t think a conservative big government plan is any better than a liberal one. That’s why this Ryan supporter has stayed open minded about listening to Gingrich. cpaulus on November 30, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Not specifically talking about Ryan’s plan? Congratulations, you’ve done a fabulous job of fooling yourself. Here’s a link to the story

And here are some excerpts.

In leveling criticism at the Republican Medicare proposal, Mr. Gingrich appeared to be acknowledging the political difficulties and risk of abruptly changing a highly popular entitlement program.

“I think we need a national conversation to get to a better Medicare solution for seniors,” Mr. Gingrich said, suggesting that any Medicare overhaul would have to include a system in which beneficiaries voluntarily opt out of the program.

Also on Sunday, Representative Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin, the chairman of the House Budget Committee and the author of the Medicare proposal, defended the plan during an appearance on the CNN program “State of the Union.”

Oh no, Gingrich wasn’t talking about Ryan’s plan. There is his lie staring you in the face and you don’t just swallow it hook line and sinker you repeat it just as most of you here bought and repeated the Freddie Mac/historian lie.

Basilsbest on November 30, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Okay. Time to pour a lovely glass of chardonnay and take a warm bath, Lourdes.

cynccook on November 30, 2011 at 6:55 PM

See? That is why you Palin people are as indecent and icky as just about anyone who has blighted the internet. I think, even, you reach far beyond the indecency of the Obama people.

You’re the stuff that cause others to hire security personnel. I conclude that you all have very unhappy lives and I feel very sorry for you. Truly, I feel very sorry for you. Gossip is the stuff of desperate, destructive and irresponsible people.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I have much higher standards for being “grown up” than that.

Notice I’m not engaged in writing what some of you are, say, for example

“Spectator, LOL”.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Such trolling, old lady!

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Heh. Such a “grown-up.” Just like Mitt attacking Newt for supporting “amnesty” while hedging on his own views.

Lawdawg86 on November 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Just asking.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I’m not demanding anything, Lourdes, and I don’t want to be confrontational. I am just interested in this particular criticism of Romney, and I would appreciate a substantive answer to the criticism if there is one. It could be that no-one is inclined to respond.

GaltBlvnAtty on November 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:56 PM

gh on November 30, 2011 at 6:59 PM

So I confused you with another “two initial user acct” who posted meaningless stuff up earlier.

If you want to discuss facts and “legislative history,” please post a reference as to what, specifically, history you’re referring and I’ll try to read it and comment.

But I still don’t read here any responses to anything specific from most here who are in the “Gingrich is a Conservative” false state of mind when you all are asked any questions. Those, you all just fume over and avoid.

So I think it should be a two-way street: if you’re asked questions, you should respond to them, with specifics, otherwise you can’t make demands on others for such.

Without personal sniping about “chardonnay and baths” and whatevertheheck you and your cats have in mind for your next hour.

Except that I really see no point in trying to make any sense out of what most here type. You’re not a happy lot and I think you’re essentially drawn to fantasy characters who don’t actually exist in the contexts you promote them as existing.

So what was that “legislative history” you feel has gone unaddressed?

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Yeah…that jobs record that is bolstered by jobs held by illegal aliensillegal immigrantsundocumented workersf**k it, illegal aliens.

MadisonConservative on November 30, 2011 at 5:24 PM

That is bogus. Back it up with facts, not left-wing propaganda. You can’t.

kg598301 on November 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on November 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM

I’m not a Romney supporter but …

Believing in AGW in 2005 is not too large a sin for a politician.

However, consulting with Holdren is indefensible.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:06 PM

You STILL have me confused with the other commenter. I didn’t post any of the stuff you are quoting. Get some rest.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Perhaps you and steebo missed your last shot?

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I’m not sure what the steebo comment was getting at, I was just joking around. I wasn’t implying that you were an alcoholic or anything! Also I’m pretty busy during the daytime, so I think the “security personnel” might be unnecessary. You should lighten up just a teensy weensie little bit. Also, I’m not a “Palin person,” although I do think she seems like a nice woman and a good Conservative. So. What’s the weather like where you are? It actually snowed here this morning!

cynccook on November 30, 2011 at 7:13 PM

I say both these Florida polls are garbage (and apparently Intrade doesn’t believe them either, since Romney is still trading over 50% there). There’s no way that Newt is ahead of Romney by 24-30 points in Florida and only leading by single digits nationally. That’s absurd on its face.

Insider Advantage has a terrible record- only Zogby was ranked lower- and the head of IA used to be Newt’s campaign manager. PPP is a Dem pollster with an interest in giving a boost to the candidates who poll worse against Obama. I’m not buying that large a Gingrich lead until I see it confirmed by credible, nonpartisan pollsters.

Jon0815 on November 30, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Lourdes:
I paid some attention to Newt as speaker and was pleased with what I believe was the good and in many ways successful fight he waged against the powerful and media darling President Clinton. I appreciated Newt’s leadership. I give him complete credit for balancing the budget and forcing Clinton to reform welfare and declare the era of big government to be over. I believe Newt comes from a conservative place and that with his knowledge, skills and intelligence has the greatest chance to begin the enormous process of turning this once great country around.

GaltBlvnAtty on November 30, 2011 at 7:15 PM

He might be a crook, but he’s our crook.

unclesmrgol on November 30, 2011 at 7:16 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on November 30, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I genuinely never believed that such a creature as a rabid Romney supporter existed. Wow. The disgruntled minority, indeed!

cynccook on November 30, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:54 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on November 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM

From what I’ve seen and read, there’s two schemes underway regarding denigrating Romney:

One of them is the TALE that there’s a “Leftwing media conspiracy” out there to get Romney nominated from the GOP because the Left “wants Romney” and no one else;

the other is that whoever is supporting Romney is part of this “Leftwing media conspiracy” “to get Romney nominated” because there’s a desire to sink other candidates.

I don’t ascribe to either.

But as to the film that Ron Howard is going to release (“about Mormons”), I don’t ascribe ANY good motive from a Conservative perspective to Hollywood.

Meaning, Hollywood can be relied upon to provide content that will and has consistently put general issues that the Right considers important and respectable in a bad light.

If the issue is war, Hollywood will begin to release material that shows our military as snarling incompetent turncoats, people who can’t be trusted, mentally ill, whatever.

THEN approaching elections, they’ll start revealing military personnel who are “going against the effort” for some alleged heroic purposes, assisting the “good media” to “expose the bad U.S. people” or similar. We currently have a lot of these types of efforts by the Left to try to show themselves as “Good Guys in Metrosexual Military” with anyone else being the “socio-political enemy to our nation of Metrosexuals”.

Same typecasting as to issues such as family, heterosexuality, marriage, adoptions, abortion, pro-life, the litany of social issues that the Left tries to reclaim as it’s own by turning the story backwards from any Conservative perspective.

About Ron Howard, what does anyone expect from him? He maligned the Catholic Church is decidedly “artistic” fashion with great melodrama and theatrics (made for “great movie making” technically by presenting dishonorable, dishonest information as heroic — so viewers respond to his FILMMAKING with support and enthusiasm and are willing to remain exposed to the false messages).

I think likely we can expect a lot of that same thing about Mormons, so to speak, about their Church and beliefs.

The HMO series produced by Tom Hanks, done very well but the actual “thing” presented was corrupted, as I understand it, from actual beliefs and behaviors.

So I wouldn’t expect much from Ron Howard except excellent technical skill on screen, great big performances by actors and a false message.

Which will, of course, mislead many about the subject of the film and will, of course, suggest bad things about Mormons…

…or will it? I don’t know specifically because I don’t know the story that Howard plans to portray.

I’m only saying that based upon his political associations, we should all expect another Leftwing-handy production.

He is, however, a talented filmmaker, as to the technical skill. I just don’t expect respect for anything Conservative from Hollywood, Howard included.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

What’s the weather like where you are? It actually snowed here this morning!

cynccook on November 30, 2011 at 7:13 PM

You’re just trying to locate where she is you Palin-person masher!! /

sharrukin on November 30, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Are you a Mormon,too?

cynccook on November 30, 2011 at 7:19 PM

You’re just trying to locate where she is you Palin-person masher!! /

sharrukin on November 30, 2011 at 7:19 PM

And it would have worked, too, if it weren’t for you meddling kids!

cynccook on November 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Jon0815 on November 30, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Intrade is said to be no more reliable and all polls should be taken with a grain of salt. However, even a 10 point Gingrich lead over Romney (which has been seen elsewhere) is a big change from a couple of weeks ago and there is a rational explanation.

Romney has consistently polled at 25% and no higher. Now he’s coming down from there. Meanwhile Newt is surging insanely. It could be a network effect. People have been waiting for someone other than Romney to get traction and Newt is the last one standing.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I’m sure there will always be those that see Newt through “jilted ex-wife” glasses. But at the end of the day, you know you can’t blame it all on him.

mike_NC9 on November 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

mike_NC9 on November 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

We can’t? Darn.

cynccook on November 30, 2011 at 7:23 PM

I am watching with interest to see where they will go to when the Gingrich train also derails.

TheRightMan on November 30, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Me too. Funny, I kind of had the idea Palin might be relieved when Perry ran, since they are so much alike in their policies. She said she would only run if if no one else did that shared her positions, as if it would be a last resort for her.

kg598301 on November 30, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Guess I’m on the Romney train, if it’s between these two especially.

therightwinger on November 30, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

That was an excellent comment on the film industry.

However, GaltBlvnAtty was asking someone to defend Romney’s 2005 position on carbon trading and anthropogenic global warming.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Lourdes:

GaltBlvnAtty on November 30, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Well, alright, appreciate your thoughtful comments there.

I used to feel as you say you do now. I no longer do.

I’ve heard Gingrich say several things of late that are disturbing and “slippery” and suggest he’s manipulating issues to avoid revealing what he actually intends. His many lies outright are not confidence building, either, with his claims he’s “Conservative” and even “the only Conservative” and “more Conservative” compared with “opponents” and at this rate, I have to ask, just WHO does he actually MEAN by “opponents”? Us? Voters? Republicans? I do wonder.

He had a lot to do with making Clinton’s Presidency successful in the first term. When lately reading the remarks by fellows in Congress who served while Gingrich was Speaker, he was not NEARLY as well liked or agreed with by others as the story about that goes to the contrary.

So even until a few months ago, I was leading toward support for Gingrich. But not after his latest “reappearance” as Gingrich The Bad with his snarling accusations about others, that awful “amnesty but it’s not amnesty” thing and especially his condemnations of REASONABLE criticisms about his duplicity in that regard.

He’s avoiding dealing with facts and specifics and that, combined with his weird and cranky demeanor, suggests he’s got a bed of ulterior motives just brewing there ready to be deployed if he’s elected.

I really don’t consider him trustworthy. Here we’ve all heard how he’s somehow different today, changed, renewed, etc., yet what and who I see isn’t a changed or renewed individual but the same old grinch.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I just want to see him leave Obama in shambles on that debate stage.

davek70 on November 30, 2011 at 4:52 PM

What if Obama won’t debate him? Anybody ever think of that?

kg598301 on November 30, 2011 at 7:31 PM

It looks like Newt’s pandering to Mexicans has worked.

SoulGlo on November 30, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Are you a Mormon,too?

cynccook on November 30, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I’m one of the Space Aliens who hides under the beds of Libertarians and…

No, I’m not “a Mormon” but you continue to be a very presumptous jerk. As in, it’s none of your business but I have been gracious enough to answer that and do intend to scroll on by anything else you may presume to ask or reer to as to me and my person.

Aren’t you missing out on some hot gossip over on one of Palin’s sites? You can go gossip about “Mormons” and Hot Air users and otherwise keep yourself busy over there, can’t you? All that gossip over there…

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Are you a Mormon,too?

cynccook on November 30, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Who is the “other” “Mormon” to whom you refer there, as to “too”?

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:32 PM

SoulGlo on November 30, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Cool. That means we will win California, New York and Illinois too!

mike_NC9 on November 30, 2011 at 7:33 PM

What if Obama won’t debate him? Anybody ever think of that?

kg598301 on November 30, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Obama will have an Arch-Jerk response, count on it, regardless of what any GOP nominee may do in competition for the Nov. election.

Obama’s one and only talent beyond reading the teleprompter well is running a “Jerk response” campaign: the play at being cool, the big ole grin, the jerky ridicule, the trash talkin’ dropped g’s from his words, he’s classic Passive Aggressive.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I really don’t consider him trustworthy.
Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM

To me, that is the best argument you have put forward so far.

None of the claims that Gingrich or Romney are more or less conservative are really convincing. Both have deep flaws in their records.

In my view, Gingrich is more likely to beat Obama head-to-head. The recent poll results indicate that many GOP voters may be thinking the same way.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

That was an excellent comment on the film industry.

gh on November 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Sorry, have no comment on that simply because I’m not well informed on that. I’ll have to go read more to be able to comment in any regard about that (either, both in relationship with Romney).

I HAVE read some if not “more than some” as to Gingrich’s history on Cap’n’Trade and related industry (energy) regulations and it’s not good, what I’ve read, in my estimation.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

That was an excellent comment on the film industry…

gh on November 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Thank you!

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM

gh on November 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I think that’s about the size of things — he’s viewed as the candidate of last resort — which isn’t necessarily a good or a winning hand.

I think that the polls will show by next week either a cap on his “surge” or perhaps even a cessation of it because that “amnesty but it’s not amnesty” nonsense will by next week be reflected in public opinion.

He’s not fooling ANYone from what I’ve read, so Gingrich has stumbled badly there.

PLUS people are only now “just” looking into his history and beyond the smiling Grandpa he was earlier pretending to be.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:41 PM

SoulGlo on November 30, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Cool. That means we will win California, New York and Illinois too!

mike_NC9 on November 30, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I don’t care for ethnicity-pandering politicians. I know that ethnicity-focused voters (and non voters or at least, illegal voters) ARE concerned about that and find it appealing, but many the rest of us don’t.

Ethnicity-pandering is really unattractive if not disgusting, in my view.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:43 PM

It looks like Newt’s pandering to Mexicans has worked.

SoulGlo on November 30, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Very few Mexicans in Florida.

katy the mean old lady on November 30, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Where in my comment do you find the suggestion that individual Mitt supporters are part of some left wing conspiracy? There are plenty of great Mitt supporters like Buy Danish who like Mitt because they think he is the best choice. I’m definitely voting for him if he is the nominee. My point is that I believe the media wants him the same way they wanted McCain–they believe he will be the easiest to beat.

As for Hollywood, of course they are liberal. But they are also working in concert with the Obama admin for 2012 the same way they were against W in 2004. Under the Banner of Heaven is just one film. Obama was pushing hard to have the Bin Laden raid story released right before the election as well, but the studio caved when people started probing the timing and the release date has been pushed back. The problem is that Hollywood will just be one part of the anti-Mitt assault. Do you not think there is going to be a dramatic increase in anti-Mormon content across all media if Mitt wins the nomination that we do not see now?

Kataklysmic on November 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Gingrich’s surge (and Cain’s before his) is just more evidence of the incredibly weak field. People are just hopping on whatever anti-Romney bandwagon seems most viable at the moment. perry, though, is done.

changer1701 on November 30, 2011 at 7:52 PM

sharrukin on November 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM

AMNESTY is a process that selectively bestows a freedom from prosecution for their crimes.

It’s a process by which some are granted a bypass to the legal penalties for their violations of respective laws. “Amnesty” involves being deemed “free from prosecution” despite having violated laws that bear a criminal penalty under the law.

What Gingrich is proposing is amnesty. He can ridicule the facts all he wants to but he only digs his nonsense deeper while doing so.

IF he won’t admit even this basic issue, what in the heck else is he hiding that is what it is but he claims it isn’t? Didn’t we exhaust that when Clinton was in office?

Gingrich claims that he wants all illegal aliens to ‘register’ and “if they don’t, well, kick ‘em out.”

But, wait, he also said “we can’t deport them” so how, specifically, are they going to be “kicked out”? And who locates and “captures” the ones who haven’t “registered”? Isn’t that “breaking up families”?

Gingrich makes no sense in his many self-contradictions in these regards among others, but what I find really loathesome about him is his denigration of Republicans for addressing reality while he refuses to and condemning them for pointing that out to him, or trying to.

Another thing and Gingrich says “we can’t be the party that breaks up families.”

We AREN’T “the party that breaks up families.”

So chastising Republicans for “being (that) party” that “breaks up families” is Gingrich being very, very manipulative and promoting a confidence game.

It’s a confidence game: an “affinity con” is one that Gingrich is engaged in, using ethnicity, using this false tale of “family”, that’s an affinity con game.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

If you think anti-Mitt crowds are fanatical, wait until you encounter the legions of Arrested Development fans who consider such statements heresy.

No, I’m not “a Mormon” but you continue to be a very presumptous jerk.

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Why are you putting “a Mormon” in quotes? Its not meant as a slur, its like saying “a Christian” or “a Muslim.” Putting it in quotes has a whiff of evasiveness to it, its like you have your own definition or understanding of the word “Mormon” or something. How do you define “Mormon”? I define a “Mormon” as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Do you assign a different meaning to it?

Lawdawg86 on November 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Lourdes

I am more willing to defend Newt than you are (and believe me, I am aware of the stunning hypocrisy of conservatives hating Mitt for the very things Newt embraced, as well as his weaknesses like Freddie Mac, federal healthcare mandates, impractical grandiose ideas, poor management skills, not being shall we say, “entirely truthful”, and so forth) but I have to thank you for a most entertaining thread with many spot-on comments. Wish I had more time to single them out for gold stars.

GaltBlvnAtty

fwiw, Punchenko referred to Romney as a “Marxist-Leninist” recently so you can take his commentary with a pound of salt. Holdren is a crazy Neo-Malthusian nut, but he was also a respected Harvard guy at the time Mitt used him as a “consultant” (and the fact that the alarmists had “hid the decline” was not known at that time). As I said at the original Holdren thread, it’s improbable that Mitt knew about Holdren’s dark side, and you have to put things in perspective as to what the prevailing views were at the time. In the end, Mitt did not go through with much of what he planned. See the thread for details (It’s a long one…).

Buy Danish on November 30, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Newt Gingrich is the second coming of John McCain.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 30, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:41 PM
Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:43 PM
Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Infatuation.

portlandon on November 30, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Lourdes on November 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM

So he very much reminds you of John McCain too then? It is becoming so obvious that history seems to be repeating.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 30, 2011 at 8:04 PM

portlandon on November 30, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Now that was very informative, very informative, very informative, very informative ……………………………………………….

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 30, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Open your eyes people! Newt Gingrich is John McCain! It is all there. Put it together.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM

portlandon on November 30, 2011 at 8:03 PM

El Rushbo said it, The left will always tell you who they fear the most.

mike_NC9 on November 30, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Come on now. We’re not really going to do this, are we?

Newt has some of the same flaws as those previously eaten for dinner during the search for Not Romney.

The Band Wagon Bunch completes the circle to support the anti-anti-establishment candidate.

rukiddingme on November 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM

I’m open to a more conservative candidate. Any suggestions on who can surge in the next 33 days before IA?

Kataklysmic on November 30, 2011 at 8:15 PM

rukiddingme on November 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM

At this point, the only thing that would make me not vote for Newt is if AP starts liking him.

mike_NC9 on November 30, 2011 at 8:17 PM

binky, here goes you’re comparison to McCain.

Wow.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey of Likely Voters finds Gingrich attracting 45% of the vote while President Obama earns support from 43%. Six percent (6%) prefer some other candidate, and six percent (6%) are undecided.

mike_NC9 on November 30, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Infatuation.

portlandon on November 30, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Wow, is there a shortcut for bringing up all of those quotes, copying, and pasting them? :)

Otherwise, I have to say you are also infatuated with Lourdes.

TheRightMan on November 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM

<El Rushbo said it, The left will always tell you who they fear the most.

mike_NC9 on November 30, 2011 at 8:10 PM>

You read my mind. Though Bill Clinton threw a curve on that one the other day. Still pondering.

sleepingiantsup on November 30, 2011 at 8:33 PM

That is bogus. Back it up with facts, not left-wing propaganda. You can’t.

kg598301 on November 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM

You’re tiresome and annoying, but I despise being called left wing. Do your homework.

Among the findings:

Of jobs created in Texas since 2007, 81 percent were taken by newly arrived immigrant workers (legal and illegal).

MadisonConservative on November 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM