Everyone is fair game: Jon Stewart pranks Huntsman

posted at 5:05 pm on November 30, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

In a sure sign that Jon Huntsman is quickly moving into top tier candidate status, today we found out..

(OK. I tried to get that one out with a straight face. Sorry.)

At any rate, it seems that perennial single digit GOP candidate Jon Huntsman sought to take advantage of the social media world and set up a town hall using the Power of the Twitter. Participants were invited to submit questions and comments using the hashtag #Q4Jon prior to the event. The plan ran into something of a snag, though, because Daily Show host Jon Stewart had other ideas.

When it comes to politics that spot belongs to Jon Stewart, the sharp-witted and sharp-tongued host of Comedy Central’s The Daily Show. As struggling Republican presidential hopeful Jon Huntsman discovered Tuesday, the reach of Stewart’s pranks is long…

Unfortunately for Huntsman, the event attracted Stewart’s satiric eye and, several hours before the questioning was to begin, he tweeted this on the Daily Show’s Twitter account: “@MadMen_AMC fans: tweet Jon Hamm your questions by 4:15 Eastern? Hashtag #Q4Jon”

Along with the normal questions from voters, Huntsman suddenly found himself fielding detailed queries from Daily Show fans — who are famously loath to distinguish between political news and political satire — thinking they were addressing the star of the wildly popular television series.

I didn’t get to catch this event, but from the sound of the report, Huntsman at least maintained a sense of humor about it to his credit. He’s also apparently a fan of the popular AMC show and knew something about Jon Hamm as well as details of the show itself.

Here are some of the questions Huntsman wound up having to handle.

“In ten years do you see yourself following George Clooney’s or Tom Selleck’s career path?”

(Huntsman responded: “I definitely want Clooney’s career path. But I think that Q was for Jon Hamm. Funny prank @TheDailyShow! #Q4Jon”)

“Jon who makes all of your suits? They have a great retro look.”
“Do you thin you’ll be able to snag the Emmy this year – even with Brian Cranston’s brilliant performance in S4?”

“What’s new on Mad Men this season? I’m a HUGE fan!”

“How many of the Mad Men actresses have you slept with?”

“Are there characteristics of Don Draper that you relate to?”

“Mr. Hamm, how do you feel about Jon Huntsman trying to hijack your hashtag? #lol”

All I can say is, I wish I’d thought of it first.

Comments

You leave Marcus Aurelius Huntsman alone!

annoyinglittletwerp on November 30, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Heh.

See people around here at HotAir… this joke wouldn’t work if his name was Jeremiah or Ebenezer.

Huntsman 2012!

Abby Adams on November 30, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I thought the prank would be Stewart pretending to be Huntsman. They look alike.

GardenGnome on November 30, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Klaus Von Heidegger Banes Huntsman IV is quite amused a this feat of merriment.

abobo on November 30, 2011 at 5:18 PM

GardenGnome on November 30, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Stewart’s kinda cute-Huntsmann looks like an demonic Mr. Rogers.
*Don’t kill me, Abby.LoL*

annoyinglittletwerp on November 30, 2011 at 5:18 PM

It was probably the best thing that could have happened for Radolfo Huntsman.

sharrukin on November 30, 2011 at 5:18 PM

sharrukin on November 30, 2011 at 5:18 PM
abobo on November 30, 2011 at 5:18 PM

His name is Shepard Smith Huntsmann. I am just so tired of you animals disrespecting a great man to the point that you can’t even get his NAME right.
*cries quietly*

annoyinglittletwerp on November 30, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Don’t you know that the Dread Pirate Roberts Huntsman never takes prisoners alive…?

Seven Percent Solution on November 30, 2011 at 5:31 PM

As long as no one pranks Obama, because he’s, well, he’s a god. Making fun of him is not funny. It’s racism. You’re all jealous of him and what he’s accomplished. Always trying to take away the little success the Black Man makes for himself. You’re all racists.

What was this thread about again?

Paul-Cincy on November 30, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Totally different. Hamm has gravitas.

Jim Treacher on November 30, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Ashley Huntsman will have his day in the sun…!

Seven Percent Solution on November 30, 2011 at 5:37 PM

This is just a brief blip in the distinguished career of Juan Martinez Escudero Marta Villanueva Huntsman.

pedestrian on November 30, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I’m so un-twitter-hip…..I have no idea wtf is going on.

sigh.

Tim_CA on November 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Oh, gee, I thought Huntsman was the only reasonable Republican in the running according to libs.

Queen0fCups on November 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Jon McHuntsman isn’t that bad. Don’t see why people give him such a hard time. His record is actually pretty conservative and consistent.

therightwinger on November 30, 2011 at 5:51 PM

That’s it.

I’m gonna take my ball and go home. Meanieheads.

Abby Adams on November 30, 2011 at 5:53 PM

That’s not nice to do that to Jake Hartsman.

lorien1973 on November 30, 2011 at 5:53 PM

How dare they show such disrespect to Ronald Wilson Reagan Huntsman?

VidOmnia on November 30, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Tim_CA on November 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM

A good rule of life is:

If it’s on twitter, it’s stupid and pointless.

Assume this to true for all twitter conversations and you’ll be fine.

lorien1973 on November 30, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I am so sick of twitter stories

pedestrian on November 30, 2011 at 5:57 PM

A town hall on twitter? Awesome. Because all of the country’s problems can be solved in 140 characters of less.

angryed on November 30, 2011 at 6:02 PM

At least Simon Bar Huntsman had a good sense of humor about it… though he probably had palpitations that his campaign was finally taking off.

Fallon on November 30, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I’m so un-twitter-hip…..I have no idea wtf is going on.

sigh.

Tim_CA on November 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Not to deflate lorien’s point, but it has to do with the use of “hashtags” on twitter. If you use the “hash” symbol followed by text with no spaces, twitter recognizes that as a tag. You can set up feeds then of all the tweets which contain that tag. It’s a way for those who don’t follow one another to see each other’s tweets on a topic and respond.

So Julius Huntsman, for some reason, set up a hash tag containing the name “Jon” in order to solicit questions for his “campaign.” Stewart noticed this, and tweeted out the same tag to his own followers, with the message that caused them to think they were submitting questions for the actor Jon Hamm, not the (politician? I think?) Jedediah Huntsman. Again, if he’d have stuck with his own first name, I think recognition would have been better, but YMMV.

TexasDan on November 30, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Abby Adams on November 30, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Abby, I seriously think you’re a cool cat.
-Barb

annoyinglittletwerp on November 30, 2011 at 6:15 PM

That hashtag was begging for trouble. James Tiberius Huntsman should have used something more distinctive, like #Q4JTHuntsman.

Frogmorton on November 30, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Abby- I don’t like little jon,but I love the little dogs! Thanks for the pix.

Bambi on November 30, 2011 at 10:01 PM

therightwinger on November 30, 2011 at 5:51 PM

A lot of the right fringe is just as brain dead as the left fringe. Reading the comments on Hot Air convinced me of that years ago. It’s an echo chamber of idiocy, started with Captain Ed, I’m afraid.

BocaJuniors on December 1, 2011 at 12:49 AM