Video: The obligatory “Brian Williams delivers the news during a fire alarm” clip

posted at 8:17 pm on November 29, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, you’re going to watch it somewhere eventually so you might as well watch it now. I went over to MSNBC.com to embed their version of the clip only to find that, inexplicably, they’ve posted the version they re-shot afterwards — sans alarm. And even this brief vid doesn’t capture the full absurdity. According to Poynter, the alarm went on … for nearly the whole show:

The alarm tone kept sounding, through the Herman Cain story, through the lead-in to a story about the siege at the British Embassy in Iran.

Williams took a commercial break. When he came back, so did the alarm. Each time, Williams did exactly what he should do, he kept his cool, reminded viewers everything was OK and kept going. Three quarters of the way through the program the alarm fell silent.

Someone at Fox News has to pull this on Shep. Exit question: Which late-night show will be the one to land Williams for the inevitable “try to rattle BriWi while he reads the news” skit? My money’s on Letterman.

Comments

Brain Williams is so brave.
And a handsome man.
what courage.

carbon_footprint on November 29, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Thia inspires me. The next time I am cooking and my smoke alarm goes off, I am going to keep on cooking and ignore the constant ringing.

What a brave, brave man.

Wow, the greatest generation.

carbon_footprint on November 29, 2011 at 8:24 PM

You know what? The next time my “check engine” light comes on in my truck, I am simply going to phase it out and keep on driving.

What courage.

carbon_footprint on November 29, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Someone at Fox News has to pull this on Shep

BEST idea I have heard all day, AP!

herm2416 on November 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM

He should receive a Pulitzer for his courage under fire.

carbon_footprint on November 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM

The shocker is that NBC News didn’t lead off with Perry’s voting age flub or Cain’s girlfriend.

Marcus on November 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Someone at Fox News has to pull this on Shep.

Everyone knows that if a fire broke out at Fox News, Sheps hair would be the first to go up in flames…

Wolftech on November 29, 2011 at 8:26 PM

CF, you are on a roll tonight!

herm2416 on November 29, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I really liked Brian Williams in the Beach Boys. He looks so young in that clip.

SlaveDog on November 29, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Sounds like the “dive” signal in military submarines.
Must be something to do with NBC’s ratings.

itsnotaboutme on November 29, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Someone at Fox News has to pull this on Shep

Already happened:

ScottMcC on November 29, 2011 at 8:28 PM

BriWi;

that’s good.

ted c on November 29, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Gold Jerry, gold.

Still …I’ve yet to see anything which surpasses Prince Charles’s brass balls composure.

The Ugly American on November 29, 2011 at 8:31 PM

That’s the sound that Cain hears when another arrow is coming his way.

Electrongod on November 29, 2011 at 8:32 PM

That inspires me. The next time I am cooking and my smoke alarm goes off, I am going to keep on cooking and ignore the constant ringing.

carbon_footprint on November 29, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Hmmm…no offense, but maybe that should tell something about your cooking skills…

Chip on November 29, 2011 at 8:33 PM

I’m sorry everyone, I had to pause a bit. This has moved me so much. Such a wonderful moment. What a hero Bryan William is. The military men and women fight for our freedom, but Brian Wiliams is the real hero here. You want perfect conditions to report the news that this nation depends on? Sorry, it is not a perfect world. Does this trip Brad Williams up? No. He is a trooper. Sorry, tears.

carbon_footprint on November 29, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I am,going to endorse,Brian Williams,for the,

Military Medal for Courageous Restraint,
****************************************

even tho Brian,is a Liberal Operative,drats I mean,
a Progressive civilian!
(snark)

canopfor on November 29, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Is there any possibility that the alarm went off because Olbermann was trying to sneak back into the building?

radjah shelduck on November 29, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Chip on November 29, 2011 at 8:33 PM

I love to sear the protein at a high temp. on the stove top to lock in the juices and flavor. I finish it off in the oven.

But you miss the entire point, Chip, Brain Williams is so brave. Brave and a trooper. What have you done for your country lately? You would fight for the dignity of news, Blake Williams would die for it.

carbon_footprint on November 29, 2011 at 8:37 PM

He should receive a Pulitzer for his courage under fire.

carbon_footprint on November 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM

He already got one for bowing to Obama.

John the Libertarian on November 29, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Well-handled by Williams, I hate to admit, but he’s a professional newsreader, what the hell? What I’ve never been able to figure out in his case is how you can be a NASCAR fan/aficionado and a liberal at the same time. Or maybe he’s a closet conservative in liberal clothing, for career reasons. Just know I’ve never met a paint swapping fan who was liberal about anything, except a little chasing and drinking.

TXUS on November 29, 2011 at 8:38 PM

He should receive a Pulitzer for his courage under fire.

carbon_footprint on November 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM

He already got one for bowing to Obama.

John the Libertarian on November 29, 2011 at 8:37 PM

See, he is such a trooper. And a brave, hero man.

carbon_footprint on November 29, 2011 at 8:39 PM

carbon_footprint on November 29, 2011 at 8:34 PM

carbon_footprint:Your post,has left me,so emotional,that I am
BESIDES MY SELF,and starring back at myself in
sheer disbelief what it all means!haha:)

Oh,and we had a Military MindMeld TimeStamp
sumpin!:)

canopfor on November 29, 2011 at 8:39 PM

carbon_footprint:Your post,has left me,so emotional,that I am
BESIDES MY SELF,and starring back at myself in
sheer disbelief what it all means!haha:)

Oh,and we had a Military MindMeld TimeStamp
sumpin!:)

canopfor on November 29, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Hey, thanks for that. I am just saddened that Canada does not have Braden Williams. I know, I know, you had Peter Jennings, but Peter, may he rest in peace, was shear amateur hour compared to this.

I get chills. Wow. Just wow.

carbon_footprint on November 29, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Courage under Fire,er,Ammo Bunker Ka-Blewy,and here’s how
you do it!
=============

Ammo Dump Attack in Iraq
May 19 2006
**************
**************

Lots of funny comments in the video!!!
What happens when the enemy lands a mortar attack in your ammo dump. This happened near Kirkuk in Iraq. Enjoy!
(Video 8:56)

“Shotgun this is Wolverine ,be advised…..”
=============================================

canopfor on November 29, 2011 at 8:46 PM

I hate to rain on the parade, but did anyone consider that Williams ignored the alarm because it wasn’t written into the teleprompter?

What was I thinking? The guy’s a regular John Rambo, fer cryin out loud!

TugboatPhil on November 29, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Seems kind of up Leno’s alley… hasn’t he done “make Betty White flinch” bits?

It is a shame that the NBC News building didn’t burn down, though (empty, of course). They could have replaced it with something more useful to society. like a Twilight museum.

malclave on November 29, 2011 at 8:50 PM

canopfor on November 29, 2011 at 8:39 PM

I get chills. Wow. Just wow.

carbon_footprint on November 29, 2011 at 8:41 PM

carbon_footprint:It warms my heart,thinking that,how good it is
for America,not to export any Lefty Proxy Prop
aghanda Personnel to further dilute,what is left
of my beloved Canada!!:)

canopfor on November 29, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Would love to see that trick pulled on O’Reilly. Definitely wont be SFW.

abobo on November 29, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Brave Sir Brian.

NeoKong on November 29, 2011 at 8:56 PM

That wasn’t a fire alarm, that was the bullsh*t detectors going off.

Pcoop on November 29, 2011 at 8:57 PM

As least he’s able to work around it; could you imagine this happening to Olbermann? He’d be in the tub for weeks.

landshark on November 29, 2011 at 8:59 PM

malclave on November 29, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I bet Edward or Jacob could walk onto the set or perhaps break into battle over Bella right there in front of Brian and he wouldn’t even flinch a bit.

And THAT my friends is the mark of a TRUE newsreading professional.

Lily on November 29, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Okay, now let’s try it with his hair on fire.

hepcat on November 29, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Thia inspires me. The next time I am cooking and my smoke alarm goes off, I am going to keep on cooking and ignore the constant ringing….

carbon_footprint on November 29, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Kinda reminds me of this. Oopsy.

dont taze me bro on November 29, 2011 at 9:09 PM

One day he’ll look back on this fire alarm disturbance as the good old days. So much better than the human mic to come:

We We Are Are The The 99% 99% Brian Brian Williams Williams You You Work Work For For An An Evil Evil Corporation Corporation Which Which Doesn’t Doesn’t Pay Pay Taxes Taxes And And We We Will Will Shut Shut You You Up Up Before Before We We Shut Shut You You Down Down….

Buy Danish on November 29, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Would love to see that trick pulled on O’Reilly. Definitely wont be SFW.

abobo on November 29, 2011 at 8:55 PM

He’s not live though. They’d just stop shooting until the alarm was deactivated.

radjah shelduck on November 29, 2011 at 9:12 PM

He should receive a Pulitzer for his courage under fire.

carbon_footprint on November 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Brian Williams bowed to the Obama on camera, amazingly that didn’t get Williams a Pulitzer, Nobel or Oscar, maybe he’s lowered his sights to an Emmy?

RJL on November 29, 2011 at 9:33 PM

“Courage.”

manwithblackhat on November 29, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Surprised he didn’t yell “Let’s Roll” rush the exit as the
door opened in his face and ended up on his butt.

He’s no Todd Beamer. . .or even PeeWee Herman for that matter.

Texyank on November 29, 2011 at 9:51 PM

I’d bet on Conan for the skit. Seems totally in his wheelhouse.

nukemhill on November 29, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I think that was a low ratings alarm…

d1carter on November 29, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Sounds like the “dive” signal in military submarines.
Must be something to do with NBC’s ratings.
itsnotaboutme on November 29, 2011 at 8:27 PM

The dive klaxon? If they had used on of them, Williams would have soiled himself!

DSchoen on November 29, 2011 at 11:40 PM

DSchoen on November 29, 2011 at 11:40 PM

How do you know he didn’t??

landlines on November 30, 2011 at 2:00 AM

This has already happened to ol’ Shep.

txsurveyor on November 30, 2011 at 7:59 AM

If American Airlines’ labor costs are $800 million higher than those of its competitors, why didn’t Brian Williams suggest that AA negotiate concessions from its union?

He must have been distracted by the fire alarm…

Steve Z on November 30, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Obviously the electrician; who’s job it was to turn off the alarm, was on a mandated break. Can’t have anyone else push the off button, what with them not being properly trained.

GarandFan on November 30, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Dan Rather called Williams right after and just had one word… “Courage!”

jcmorris on November 30, 2011 at 11:42 AM