Quotes of the day

posted at 10:48 pm on November 28, 2011 by Allahpundit

“The poll, conducted by Majority Opinion Research Sunday night, showed Gingrich leading the Republican field with 32 percent of support from those surveyed. Romney earned 23 percent, while Herman Cain rounded out the top three with 14 percent of the vote. Ron Paul led the remainder of the field with 6 percent.

“Gingrich’s lead has opened up as the former Speaker has rallied both older voters and independents. Thirty-nine percent of those 65 and older support Gingrich, versus 28 percent for Romney, while those in the 45-64 age range back the Speaker by a 37-19 percent margin. Those figures would tend to support the emerging theme that conservatives are rallying behind Gingrich as their preferred alternative. Gingrich and Romney are virtually tied among voters 18-44, who are more likely to hold liberal views.

“But Gingrich is also rallying independents, garnering 32 percent of likely voters who do not affiliate with a party. Among independents, Romney actually trails Paul, who pulls 17 percent of the vote to Romney’s 16 percent.”

***

“We don’t think [Romney's] got it,” [Manchester Union-Leader publisher Joe] McQuaid remarked. ‘We think he’s the managerial type, but he’s sort of a blank slate and he’s going to go with the winds too much.’

“‘I think — and this is crazy, but so are we — that Gingrich is going to have a a better time in the general election than Mitt Romney. I think it’s going to be Obama’s 99 [percent] versus the 1 percent, and Romney sort of represents the 1 percent.’”

***

Three Republican presidential candidates have shown an openness to handing over control of drugs and medical marijuana to the states. Would you continue the current federal policy making marijuana illegal in all cases or give the states more control?

I would continue current federal policy, largely because of the confusing signal that steps towards legalization sends to harder drugs…

I think you guarantee that people will cross state lines if it becomes a state-by-state exemption.

I don’t have a comprehensive view. My general belief is that we ought to be much more aggressive about drug policy. And that we should recognize that the Mexican cartels are funded by Americans…

I think that we need to consider taking more explicit steps to make it expensive to be a drug user. It could be through testing before you get any kind of federal aid. Unemployment compensation, food stamps, you name it.

***

“[I]t’s ironic, since Gingrich recently twisted the knife a bit into Romney as someone in the mold of the Rockefeller wing of the party.

“The exact quote [from Gingrich's 1989 interview]:

“‘There is almost a new synthesis evolving with the classic moderate wing of the party, where, as a former Rockefeller state chairman, I’ve spent most of my life, and the conservative/activist right wing. You have work being done by the Heritage Foundation as well as by such moderates as Tom Petri. Petri has extraordinarily broad support for his living wage concept, which represents an empowerment/citizen choice replacement for the bureaucratic/corrupt, liberal welfare state.’”

***

“The insult du jour for Republican candidates this election cycle is being labeled a RINO, a Republican in Name Only. Unfortunately, the insult has been so overused lately it’s been rendered meaningless. The insult is even emptier because it is so detached from actual statements, campaign promises and voting records.

“A candidate like Newt Gingrich can get away with supporting the biggest socialist scheme in American government over the past 30 years because he says nasty things about the press and calls Barack Obama a Marxist. Jon Huntsman, on the other hand, can have a stellar conservative record as Utah’s governor, be anti-abortion and adored by the NRA. But if he refuses to spit out angry screeds against Obama, he’s dismissed as a RINO, the facts be damned.

“So as a public service to POLITICO readers, I, your humble conservative servant, have put together a ‘Who is the Real RINO?’ test.”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Dire Straits on November 29, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Kidding >>> virtual beer :)

bazil9 on November 29, 2011 at 1:15 AM

I think that anytime someone is coming across your border and they haven’t been invited, that can be considered what the Founding Fathers wrote as an invasion into your country. (Allen West)

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 29, 2011 at 1:14 AM

You just don’t like brown people!

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:16 AM

I can’t answer yes or no, even if those would suffice. I would prefer Bachmann, Cain, even Santorum to him. I would rather have him than either Newt or Perry. And let’s leave Dr. Paul alone for the moment.

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:02 AM

You are all over the map. You need to really think about this as who can beat Obama. You must know that Bachmann would be destroyed by the democrat machine.

Vince on November 29, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Let Huntsman convince the people of NH and then maybe, then I’ll give him a look. He’s better than Romney and Gingrich, though he too is a RINO on many issues. That cap and tax scheme he put through in Utah is atrocious. But he has endorsed the Ryan Plan and the Simpson Bowles proposal, though I think his positioning to the center in the primaries is what is hurting him. As well has his arm length embrace of evangelicals and the Tea Party. Huntsman can’t win without connecting with those two groups.

With Cain faltering, I’m looking at Bachmann or Santorum at this point. Perry just can’t be trusted on the big stage against Obama to perform and reminds people too much of Bush.

milemarker2020 on November 29, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Let’s not. I don’t like talking about Ron Paul.

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:14 AM

I can tell. You want to have it your way; that is, you want to make your points while ignoring the big gorilla in the room.

MeatHeadinCA on November 29, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Vince on November 29, 2011 at 1:16 AM

I don’t presume to know who can beat Obama. As far as I can tell, they have a plan to fight and beat Romney, and they are sticking with it.

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:18 AM

bazil9 on November 29, 2011 at 1:15 AM

I understood..:)
PS..Cyber Beer can be refreshing also..:)

Dire Straits on November 29, 2011 at 1:19 AM

MeatHeadinCA on November 29, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Well it’s not like I can STOP you from talking about Ron Paul, just like Ms. cynccook couldn’t stop me from talking about Newt, all her threats to report me to the management notwithstanding.

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:20 AM

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:20 AM

Yep. Also, you couldn’t stop me from calling your “discussions” dishonest.

MeatHeadinCA on November 29, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Were you around when Goldwater was a candidate? I think you missed the point.

Vince on November 29, 2011 at 1:08 AM

They told me if I supported Barry Goldwater we would get into a big war in Vietnam. They were right. I supported Barry Goldwater and we got into a big war in Vietnam.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 29, 2011 at 1:23 AM

I understood..:)
PS..Cyber Beer can be refreshing also..:)

Dire Straits on November 29, 2011 at 1:19 AM

And it is cheap LOL. Cheers.

bazil9 on November 29, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Huntstman

2008: GOP should tack to the middle on immigration
A closer look at his record reveals a nuanced approach to Republican politics. Shortly after Obama was swept into office in a tidal wave of Democratic victories, the popular governor began articulating a new national vision for the GOP, one designed to appeal to all time zones. Warning that the party was losing young voters, he argued that Republicans would need to tack to the middle on three hot-button issues if they were to maintain national relevance: immigration, gay rights, and the environment.

“I hate the thought of a fence on the border. As an American, the thought of a fence to some extent repulses me, because it is not consistent with the image that we projected to the rest of the world. But the situation is such today that I don’t think we have a choice, and before we begin the conversation of processing 11 or 12 million undocumented workers, we’ve got to secure the border. There’s got to be an alternative rather than sending people back. That’s unrealistic”

Hunstman can go to hell or China, whichever is closer.

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:18 AM

I’d prefer Gingrich win the primaries but if Romney wins he’s gat a good chance to beat Obama as well. The others? No way will independents vote for Perry, Paul, Cain, Bachman or Santorum. dissatisfied democrats may stay home though. The others have no chance of winning anything.

I really don’t see anyone attacking Romney very much so I don’t know why you say they all have a plan to beat Romney.

Vince on November 29, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Yep. Also, you couldn’t stop me from calling your “discussions” dishonest.

MeatHeadinCA on November 29, 2011 at 1:23 AM

I don’t want to stop anything. Well, maybe Punchenko’s strange and irritating comments, but not really even that.

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Hardly, Bachmann has been Mitt’s little attack dog taking on Pawlenty, Perry, and now Newt.

Punchenko on November 29, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:26 AM

The first sentence suffices.

MeatHeadinCA on November 29, 2011 at 1:27 AM

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 29, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Yep. That’s what I meant by Goldwater in reverse. They painted him as a warmonger and Paul is painted as an isolationist. (Some truth to that?)

Vince on November 29, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Vince on November 29, 2011 at 1:26 AM

They are not attacking Romney very much because they don’t want anyone else’s victory interfering with their plan. Their plan is to destroy him in the general. Actually, they did attack him recently until Newt started rising in the polls, both Axelrod and Rahm attacked him in a very personal fashion as disingenuous, but then it quieted down. The plan is to attack him as totally non-genuine, a man nobody can trust.

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:30 AM

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 29, 2011 at 1:14 AM

I would agree 100% but when you wait 20+ years to deal with the un-invited guest there are consequences. They can keep throwing on the band aides but an oozing sore is underneath and has been. I think Gh brought it up earlier, the economy baby. The only reason this is getting the attention it has waited for.

bazil9 on November 29, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Punchenko on November 29, 2011 at 1:26 AM

By “they” I meant Obama.

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:32 AM

bazil9 on November 29, 2011 at 1:31 AM

An article I posted yesterday, twice, illustrated how Newt fought against doing anything about the illegals really hard, and now wants to deal with them “humanely”. Kind of like a guy who killed both of his parents and now wants leniency as an orphan.

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Oh! I see. You were saying the democrats have a plan to fight and beat Romney. I thought you were saying the other primary contenders had a plan to beat Romney.

Vince on November 29, 2011 at 1:35 AM

The only reason this is getting the attention it has waited for. begged for.

bazil9 on November 29, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Correction.

bazil9 on November 29, 2011 at 1:35 AM

If one looks at the RCP poll averages, Obama would beat Romney by 1.5% and beat Gingrich by 6.8%.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 29, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Vince on November 29, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Yes, I was unclear, confused Punchenko as well. Newt has had a plan to be the non-Romney, he’s been speaking like Nostradamus about the inevitability of that for quite some time now.

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:37 AM

By “they” I meant Obama.

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:32 AM

o.O Obama is a him, not a they.

Punchenko on November 29, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Is there more than one Obama coming for you, Igor? o.O

Punchenko on November 29, 2011 at 1:41 AM

o.O Obama is a him, not a they.

Punchenko on November 29, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Would you like sarcasm with that?

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:41 AM

bazil9 on November 29, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Hear..Hear..:) *clinks glass*

PS..We try to have margaritas on GOP debate nights..:)

Dire Straits on November 29, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Is there more than one Obama coming for you, Igor? o.O

Punchenko on November 29, 2011 at 1:41 AM

What’s wrong with you?

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:46 AM

o.O Obama is a him, not a they.

Punchenko on November 29, 2011 at 1:38 AM

I think Obama is a “we”. He is royal you know.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 29, 2011 at 1:56 AM

Obama is an “it”. And when you get “it”, you need to see a doctor.

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:59 AM

PS..Do you think Luck will win the Heisman?..I think he stands a very good chance..:)

Dire Straits on November 29, 2011 at 12:48 AM

He had a couple of mediocre performances the last two games, but they’re all saying he’s “the one.”

John the Libertarian on November 29, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Good Morning Folks!

cmsinaz on November 29, 2011 at 6:05 AM

another newt bash on morning joe….turning the channel now…

cmsinaz on November 29, 2011 at 6:06 AM

From Real Clear Polotics, Newt on O’Reilly last night:

Gingrich Agnostic On Man-Made Global Warming: “I Don’t Think We Know”

UGH! Not only have we absolutely KNOWN for a long time that man-made GW was crap and was a hoax made up solely for the purpose of ruining the US economy (we here even knew before the “hockey stick graph” and “hide the decline”), but Climategate 2.0 has just broken and it’s even more of a smoking gun that 1.0. Yet, here’s Newtie caliming that “we don’t know” and that he’s an “agnostic” on the subject. Wow. For being so “smart”, this is STUPID, and worse, it’s ignorant, because Newtie’s ignoring the FACTS.

Bahcmann’s been a crusader against this garbage and Perry is so strong on the subject that Inhofe endorsed him. We can’t risk having an “agnostic” on this vitally important issue.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on November 29, 2011 at 6:42 AM

Aslans Girl on November 29, 2011 at 6:42 AM

ugharoo

lets go perry!

cmsinaz on November 29, 2011 at 6:47 AM

cmsinaz on November 29, 2011 at 6:47 AM

Amen! Praying and waiting…

Aslans Girl on November 29, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Newt’s turn!

I was talking with some of my conservative pals the other day who told me that they didn’t think Newt stood a chance against Obama in the general election … really? For the record, I’m an independent conservative who thinks both parties suck, just that the democrats suck a whole lot more.

Let’s see, Newt wants to reinstate Glass-Stegall (good), repeal Mark to market (very good), repeal Obamacare (instant vote), and he’s the only one with well thought out plans (better than winging it from day to day), plus they’re in writing!

At this point even Santorum could beat Obama. Obama has given us $7 trillion bank bailouts (secret until this week), Obamacare, downgraded credit, negative outlooks by other credit rating agencies, weaker defense is on the way, activist regulatory agencies, and has perpetuated our horrible economic outlook.

kregg on November 29, 2011 at 7:01 AM

kregg on November 29, 2011 at 7:01 AM

While Newt wants to “repeal Obamacare”, let’s not forget that he said, just last year, that there were some great things in Obamacare. Ugh.

Aslans Girl on November 29, 2011 at 7:08 AM

I am watching Newt’s lying face on O’Reilly responding to the question of whether he thought being associated with Nancy Pelosi in an ad would be damaging and his answer was “No.” ‘Nuf said.

Igor R. on November 28, 2011 at 11:06 PM

The fact is, he is exactly right and you look like a fool in pretending it is the “sitting on the couch” and not his actual position on the issue that is most important.

“Sitting on a couch” with Nancy Pelosi is not going to lose him a single vote. Frankly, its fools like you who cheer stupid questions like that, that dumbs down the political process in this country. If you really care about the issue, ASK A QUESTION ABOUT IT. Don’t ask some made-for-TV-moment, gotcha question about “sitting on a couch with Nancy Pelosi.

Worse yet is your infantile “Nuf said” response. How about you try and gather together more than 5 brain cells and come back and try again.

deadrody on November 29, 2011 at 7:14 AM

No birthright citizenship for any children of illegals.

Igor R. on November 28, 2011 at 11:16 PM

You keep repeating that as if its something that could be done simply, maybe even without Congress, via executive order, or something.

The fact is, that is enshrined in the Constitution and would take a full on constitutional amendment to change. And if you think any sane person is going to campaign on that, let alone actually get it enacted, you are seriously delusional.

If you think immigration is such an issue, try sticking to realistic action. Amending the Constitution to remove birthright citizenship is not remotely realistic.

deadrody on November 29, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Either pick Ron Paul and feel good about being principled helping re-elect Barack Obama, or…

MeatHeadinCA on November 29, 2011 at 12:32 AM

FIFY

deadrody on November 29, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Bachmann, with all her faults is the best conservative in the race, and I’m hoping against hope that she will find a way to make it.

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Why ? So she can propose legislation to make it illegal to cause mental retardation through vaccinations ? The idea that Michelle Bachman is a serious candidate for President is staggeringly ridiculous. Which surely explains why your anti-Gingrich posts out-number your pro-Bachman posts 30-1

deadrody on November 29, 2011 at 7:30 AM

Newt / Martinez 2012!

or Newt / West 2012!

Martinez would be a threefer.
Geographic
Gender
National origin
And as a bonus, she’s not physically attractive so all the insecure female voter wouldn’t be threatened by her. She is a bit more butchy (Napalitano, Albright, Hillary).

If we have to have the Newt might as well have something halfway Conservative.

PappyD61 on November 29, 2011 at 7:31 AM

I’ll vote for Newt in the primary but I’ll be working my butt off to help keep the House and win the Senate. We’ll need that to keep either Newt or Mitt in line.

Vince on November 29, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Exactly. Frankly, I think the House and Senate races – assuming the POTUS nominee can beat Obama – are more important. Though I do worry that either Romney or Gingrich will find their inner “compassionate conservative” and the Republican Congress will rubber stamp their idiocy. But even the slim CHANCE at repealing Obamacare makes this an absolute necessity, as there is less than no chance of that happening if Obama wins a second term. NONE.

deadrody on November 29, 2011 at 7:34 AM

She has a LITTLE chance.

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Bachman ? No, she most assuredly does not. Not in the Republican primaries, and in the alternate universe where Cain, Romney, and Gingrich all die in a plane crash and Bachman is nominated, she has less than no chance of beating Obama. I’m not sure I can come up with a presidential incumbent should COULD have beaten. Nixon, maybe.

Can we please stop playing make-believe here ?

deadrody on November 29, 2011 at 7:37 AM

I though I would watch the MSNBC video but I only made it through abt 1 minute. I couldn’t take it…those people are sick or something…

The more I hear Newt the better I like him. Go Newt!

tinkerthinker on November 29, 2011 at 7:40 AM

The plan is to attack him as totally non-genuine, a man nobody can trust.

Igor R. on November 29, 2011 at 1:30 AM

I’m glad you didn’t say paint, because Mr pretenciple has been wearing that color pigment for a long time now.

Don L on November 29, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Aslans Girl on November 29, 2011 at 7:08 AM

Sad yes, but when I find the candidate who hasn’t said something that made/makes me cringe I’ll jump in head first.
Though with Obama it’s a block of poopy ice, I’m still lukewarm for the current field.
Rubio 2016.

kregg on November 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM

29 Nov 2011

HA Candidate Support update (379 explicit or implicit declarations, (previous 384), Numbers include a few new declarations, but several moving out of one group and becoming uncommitted at the present time. Ginrich has now moved into a position of having more HA supporters than his two nearest competitors. Please note that the tendency of the percentages going down for certain candidates is a result of more declarations of support for other contenders as opposed to withdrawal or transfer of current support. If you have a question as to where I currently you please email at the email provided below.

CAIN (119) [Current 31.4%, Previous, 32.0%, High 43.6% ]

GINGRICH (171) [Current 45.1%, Previous, 43.5%, High 45.1%]

PERRY (45) [Current 11.9%, Previous, 12.0%, High 17.6%]

ROMNEY (34) [Current 9.0%, Previous, 9.9%, High 18.5%]

BACHMANN (1) [Current 0.2%, Previous, 0.5%, High <5.0%]

PAUL (4) [Current 1.0%, Previous, 1.0%, High <5.0%]

HUNTSMAN (2) [Current 0.5%, Previous, 0.5%, High <5.0%]

SANTORUM (1) [Current 0.2%, Previous, 0.3%, High <5.0%]

LAWN GNOME (1) [Current 0.2%, Previous, 0.3%, High <5.0%]

Thanks to our moderators for posting recent entries that have new/more people to declare their support for their favorite candidate. The Palin Camp below has changed due to several previous or current supporters being identified over the last week, still a high percentage of uncommitted.

PALINISTa’s (96) – [Cain (2) = 2.0%; was 2.8%, Gingrich (17) = 17.7%; was 18.4%, Perry (5) = 5.2%; was 5.7%, Santorum (1) = 1.0%; was 1.1%, Uncommitted (71) = 74.0%, was 72.5%]

Percentages might exceed 100% due to rounding. If for any reason I have you under the wrong candidates tent, I have you listed under more than one candidate, or you would like to throw your name behind a different candidate you can update me at prov22.17-21@juno.com (three people have updated this way.
Provided as service towards eventual coalescing behind he/she who saved the people from Him Who Is No Longer Mentioned (HWINLM)…except descriptively as The Destoyer, PBHO, TOTUS.

RedLizard64 on November 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Vince on November 29, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Bzzzt! Thanks for playing!

I don’t care about beating Obama… I care about rolling back the damage caused to our country and REVERSING course, not slowing down a little. I think you have the wrong goal in mind.

dominigan on November 29, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I’m really starting to think that the Conservative base needs to split from the Republicans and go third party.

dominigan on November 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM