Seven reasons to be thankful for this particular GOP presidential field

posted at 2:00 pm on November 24, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Yes, yes, I know … The GOP field of 2012 presidential candidates is supposedly a “weak” one. But today is Thanksgiving and everything acquires a rosy glow when you’re overcome by tryptophan. So, here I am, counting my blessings that the field is no worse than it is. And, as it turns out, our seven diligent presidential pilgrims supply me with plenty of reasons to give thanks:

1.) Every single candidate at one time or another has professed his or her intention to work toward a repeal of the Affordable Care Act. Some of the candidates have more effectively intimated their awareness of what it will actually take to do that than others (i.e. they’ve acknowledged it can’t be permanently eliminated by an executive order), but not one has suggested he or she thinks Obamacare should be here to stay. Meantime, the legislation remains unpopular with the general public and that unpopularity will presumably be a driving force in the congressional elections, as well.

2.) In the present conservative political climate, it’s considered an insult or an attack to accuse another candidate of supporting amnesty for immigrants who have entered the country illegally. That suggests all the candidates respect the rule of law as foundational to the functioning of our government — or, at the very least, it suggests that the base is cognizant enough of the rule of law issues at play to force the candidates to pretend to prioritize them.

3.) As a group, the candidates appear to understand the importance of energy independence — and to recognize its feasibility in the near future. As with Obamacare, not one seems to think Obama’s anti-energy policies should remain in place permanently. They’re generally supportive of opening up more federal lands to drilling and of eliminating unnecessary or counterproductive regulations — while leaving in place those rules that ensure basic safety. They know that, by taking steps toward independence, we’ll also take steps toward toward lower unemployment and greater homeland security.

4.) They’ve initiated important discussions about tax reform and the need to eliminate crony capitalism. Herman Cain’s 9-9-9 plan might not be the tax reform I’d favor, but no question he inspired the electorate to consider the promise and pitfalls of a national sales tax. Nearly all the candidates have displayed the basic understanding that the federal government shouldn’t pick economic winners and losers — and those who supported TARP never tout it.

5.) They’re a family-oriented bunch. Collectively, they’ve racked up 229 years of marriage to their present spouses. Just one has been divorced. Among them, they have 33 children — an average of 4.7 each. What a beautiful testimony to openness to life — and what incontrovertible evidence that a large family need not drain a person of all energy! In fact, because I’m in a particularly charitable mood, I might as well add that I’m mighty thankful the Obamas, too, provide a positive example of marriage and family life.

6.) After 14 debates, the candidates have produced just a handful of gaffes — despite MSM moderators’ best attempts to disgruntle them. Even Rick Perry’s “oops” moment — which quickly entered the annals of the most embarrassing campaign moments in history — became a means for him to display grace and humility. And, while we’re on the subject of those debates, I’m actually even kinda grateful we’ve had so many — and are only to the halfway point. We’ve had ample opportunity to get to know our candidates — and, on the whole, they’re likable.

7.) Every single one wants to make Barack Obama a one-term president — and are willing to put money, sweat, tears and time into the effort. It surely can’t be easy to run for president — and it must often be tempting to quit. But these seven are indefatigable and their efforts to spread the conservative message have not been in vain, whatever the outcome in November 2012.

Comments

Thanks Tina…

Have a wonderful day.

golfmann on November 24, 2011 at 2:04 PM

So, here I am, counting my blessings that the field is no worse than it is.

Lipstick for all the pigs now?

DarkCurrent on November 24, 2011 at 2:08 PM

After 14 debates

I think I spotted the problem.

abobo on November 24, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Nice try…

Happy Thanksgiving anyway!

ElectricPhase on November 24, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Well said, Tina.
Happy Thanksgiving!

itsnotaboutme on November 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM

amen

The only way Odumbo can win is to ignore his abysmal record, and attack attack attack…I think (thanks in part to these debates) people are watching the campaign more carefully than usually, and O’s negative rhetoric will just not score.

pseudonominus on November 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Tina -

I hope you got Thanksgiving dinner prepared before you got into the vodka.

bw222 on November 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Any of them would make a better president than the current turkey.

justltl on November 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Oh? Compared to whom? The man who’s only claim to relevant experience was that running for president was experience? Oh, and he wrote a book. Sort of.

So I’d add reason number eight:

8.) Every single candidate has held a job or run a business outside of government.

SlaveDog on November 24, 2011 at 2:35 PM

They stood up. They deserve our thanks for that.

AshleyTKing on November 24, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Thank you, Tina, for demonstrating how we might not aid the Donks and their pet media in sowing discord and negativity among the opponents of The Won. So nice, for a bloody change, to see one of us NOT carrying water for the Statist blighters.

And I’m thankful for that.

Noocyte on November 24, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all HotAir writers, commenters and readers.

It’s a good exercise — thanks, Tina Korbe, for the encouragement in this direction — to focus on what we can be thankful for, at least, for today.

These are tough times.

Lourdes on November 24, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I am praying that come next Thanksgiving the voters would have not re-elected bho. Just maybe one of those running will undo all the krap bho and team has done? That would be the granddaddy of next Thanksgiving blessing! IMO, there is never going to be a perfect candidate running that makes every conservative happy. I just pray to goodness that a 3rd party doesn’t appear. To get bho and mo out of our house in 2012 it the final goal.
L

letget on November 24, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I disagree. That photo of Obama acting like a comical rendition of a Holy Man with the “blessing of the turkeys” arm-hand wave while beside him stood his two daughters who looked about as miserable and unhappy as any two children ever could be. It wasn’t a picture of a happy family, minus the overbearing, presumptuous mom, though that may have helped somewhat elevate the moment.

Lourdes on November 24, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Oh come on. They all suck. Stop pretending.

sartana on November 24, 2011 at 2:40 PM

…To get bho and mo out of our house in 2012 it the final goal.
L

letget on November 24, 2011 at 2:38 PM

This is my prayer, too. Today, was yesterday, will be tomorrow and in all the days ahead.

Lourdes on November 24, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Amen to a one term presidency.

Happy Thanksgiving to all…….

batesmotel on November 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Every field is a weak field in primary season. Soon we’ll have a candidate, and I’ll be voting for him. And next year at this time, I’ll be giving thanks that this president was one and done. And I’ll pray for the repair of this great country under our new president, whomever he is. Happy Thanksgiving now; Happier Thanksgiving next year!

Rational Thought on November 24, 2011 at 2:43 PM

So I’d add reason number eight:

SlaveDog on November 24, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Compared to Barack Obama, all the GOP candidates are credible, laudible persons, and are especially far more qualified for the Presidency.

The Right’s problem as voters is we’ve been grossly disallusioned by the horror that Obama has twisted the Presidency into. So, we’re expecting an improvement, something based upon ideals, and we’re coming up short in searching for Superman.

I think we all have to face it that we’re not settling for ‘less’ but are being faced with reality: the job isn’t about Mr. or Ms. Ideal Superior, it’s about hiring the best talent for the daily grind of the tasks required. We just now want some honor and respectability returned to the Presidency, though at this point in my life, I am having to confront the harsh question: ‘was it ever there’.

The Left wants to toss it all away, whatever they’re disillusioned by. I am hoping the Right now is motivated, instead, by trying to rebuild it.

Lourdes on November 24, 2011 at 2:46 PM

The main point is that they are all the anti-Obama. We should praise and thank our Lord for that!

Christian Conservative on November 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Why do they have such a bum rep again?

Because 98% of all press coverage of all of republicans is 100% negative.

Tim Zank on November 24, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Christian Conservative on November 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM

They are “anti-Obama” in the same sense that John Kerry was “anti-Bush” in 2004 and Bob Dole was “anti-Clinton” in 2000. These yutzes are only “anti-Obama” in the service of their personal ambitions. Although I’m not completely beyond convincing otherwise, you’ll have a long row to hoe after everything I’ve seen in the past year.

gryphon202 on November 24, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Is it just me or is comparing the current republican field to the murderous, religiously tyrannical, sexist and racist Pilgrims perfectly ironic?

Rainsford on November 24, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Why do they have such a bum rep again?

Because 98% of all press coverage of all of republicans is 100% negative.

Tim Zank on November 24, 2011 at 3:05 PM

And the other 2% of it consists of painful truths — such as that no Republican administration in my lifetime has cut spending. PERIOD. And that no Republican administration since Coolidge has public professed to veto a measure on the basis of its unconsitutionality. The idea that the Republican Party is the cure for what ails us really irritates me.

gryphon202 on November 24, 2011 at 3:08 PM

You are right. I hope that I have the kind of fortitude they have. They are an extraordinary group of people. Every single one of them is 10x (or more) better than President Obama. And I love it that 6 of them have never been divorced. That alone puts them in a special class of society.

balkanmom on November 24, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Oh come on. They all suck. Stop pretending.

sartana on November 24, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Did you lose your way? Go on back to Huffington.

balkanmom on November 24, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Lipstick for all the pigs now?

DarkCurrent on November 24, 2011 at 2:08 PM

..founding member of the group that, when presented with a truck full of gold ingots, complains of the possibility of back problems from unloading them all.

The War Planner on November 24, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Christian Conservative on November 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM

..on my knees at this time doing just that — except for, possibly, Fred Huntsman.

The War Planner on November 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM

the only reason they seem weak is the terrible fix our country is in. It will be a long painful road to reform, with the media/unions/leftists shrieking at every nickel that gets put back into the private sector. The left/media thinks they own this country, they built it up to what it is today.

And, as Beck said the other day, barry seems very confident that he’ll win. Via his charisma, or by any means necessary, he’s sure he’ll win.

r keller on November 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Rational Thought on November 24, 2011 at 2:43 PM

+1000 I’ll drink to that!

Sekhmet on November 24, 2011 at 3:16 PM

The only thing worse than the current field of candidates is this post. In what deluded world is this a good field of candidates? Obama is running on what is a horrible economy, questionable foreign policy, and a literal evaporation of ‘Hope and Change’. The glitz is off, and yet the best this field can muster is Romney? Every few weeks, someone else rises to the top in hopes of beating out Romney only to fall flat on their a$$.

When was the last time a republican field wasn’t having an “important discussion” on this topic? It’s been beaten to death. Talk is cheap. The only person that has been consistent on the economy from a tea party perspective is Ron Paul, and he’s person non grata.

5.) They’re a family-oriented bunch

Dubya is a hell of a family man, but wasn’t exactly lights out as commander in chief. As soon as the job description for President calls for a good family man I’ll be willing to accept the merit of this point.

6.) After 14 debates, the candidates have produced just a handful of gaffes

Aside from Perry, Bachman, Cain things have been pretty gaffe free. Congratualtions, they’re only running for the most important job in the world and have managed just a few instances of complete stupidity.

kkaneff79 on November 24, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Rainsford on November 24, 2011 at 3:07 PM

This. I’ve never understood the tendency to lionize the Pilgrims or Massachusetts Puritans. They were about the most religiously intolerant bunch of their era. Catholics were formally banned from their colonies, and Quakers were even hanged on occasion. Not really people I would want kids looking up to on Thanksgiving.

AngusMc on November 24, 2011 at 3:20 PM

balkanmom on November 24, 2011 at 3:10 PM

If by special class, you mean 50% of the people who get married, then yes, very special indeed. Gold medals for everyone.

I would be interested to know how someone like Bachmann is 10x better than Obama. As far as I’m concerned, neither has done anything worthwhile in their professional lives.

kkaneff79 on November 24, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I’ll be thankful for a candidate who:

1. Unequivocally promises to repeal ObamaCare
2. Promises to drill here/drill now/drill and frack everywhere
3. Promises to eliminate at least one cabinet spot, preferably Education
4. Deregulate and get the federal government out of our lives.

PatMac on November 24, 2011 at 3:29 PM

The trolls are out!!!!

balkanmom on November 24, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I’ll be thankful for a candidate who:

1. Unequivocally promises to repeal ObamaCare
2. Promises to drill here/drill now/drill and frack everywhere Unconditionally allows market-driven access to all known American energy reserves.
3. Promises to eliminate at least one cabinet spot, preferably Education Eliminates all cabinet positions not expressly provided for by the Constitution.
4. Deregulate and get the federal government out of our lives.

PatMac on November 24, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Promises won’t cut it anymore, Pat.

gryphon202 on November 24, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I’d like to correct all of the doubters here and point out the obvious strength of our future nominee. I’d really like to. But since I can’t, I’d like to point out that I would vote for a month old half eaten tuna sandwich over Obama. I have faith in an America that changes the channel every 4 seconds and loves to build up celebrities, just to tear them down. So let’s just cut to the chase and nominate…

Half Eaten Tuna Sandwich 2012

Sure it’s rancid, but it’s not Obama!

trubble on November 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM

With the exception of Paul and Hunstsman, I’ll take any of them over McCain. The MSM didn’t have to go after McCain that much. The Democrats were destined to win last time around, and everyone was swooning over Obama. That won’t be the case this time around. Obama has a record that both he and the MSM must try to sweep under the rug. They will go after the GOP nominee much harder than they went after McCain. We’d be well advised to curtail our friendly fire.

ardenenoch on November 24, 2011 at 3:38 PM

So let’s just cut to the chase and nominate…

Half Eaten Tuna Sandwich 2012

Sure it’s rancid, but it’s not Obama!

trubble on November 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Limburger Cheese Wheel 2012. Cause that’s what it’s supposed to smell like. ROFLMMFAO

gryphon202 on November 24, 2011 at 3:42 PM

What a lovely silk purse you have fashioned.

rayra on November 24, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Tina, if you’re married he’s a lucky guy. And if you’re not, you should expect everybody who wants a super rosy scenario gal to be in the hunt for you.

This may be your last day of normal.

platypus on November 24, 2011 at 3:57 PM

May the best Conservative win!

Igor R. on November 24, 2011 at 4:09 PM

no Republican administration in my lifetime has cut spending. PERIOD. And that no Republican administration since Coolidge has public professed to veto a measure on the basis of its unconstitutionality. The idea that the Republican Party is the cure for what ails us really irritates me.

gryphon202 on November 24, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Tea Party = Coolidge Republicans, Grover Cleveland Democrats (if they still exist)

AshleyTKing on November 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Lipstick for all the pigs now?

DarkCurrent on November 24, 2011 at 2:08 PM

The War Planner on November 24, 2011 at 3:12 PM

No, he’s being realistic. This crop is in reality a bunch of VP potentials, every one of them. The people who should’ve run didn’t, and I’m not only referring to Palin.

ddrintn on November 24, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Both liberals and the establishment want non-conservatives, for different reasons. Dole, Bush, McCain – all RINOs, and now there is a distinct prospect of another one. Note that anyone who is against amnesty will be destroyed, not that being too vociferously for it is good for them either.

Igor R. on November 24, 2011 at 4:26 PM

The field is weak and not equal to our time. I am not thankful.

To my knowledge the only candidate who has even uttered the word “Left” or “Leftist” in any meaningful context is Newt Gingrich. I could be wrong and am pleased to be corrected — but this is my observation. The only two prominent republicans in America close to running for President who have expatiated at length on the Left are Gingrich and Sarah Palin. The latter suffered an unholy abuse within her own ranks to an extent beyond what was directed at Barack Obama.

The current “inevitable” candidate is an antediluvian doofus who stands as much chance against Barack Obama as a potted plant. The party establishment is a joke of complaisance and political imbecility.

rrpjr on November 24, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Newt is a progressive. His career is full of examples of attempting to use the government to solve problems: Department of Education, Cap and Trade, individual mandates including mandatory bonds, public/private partnerships, amnesty with his own special twist, heavy government involvement in disease prevention. Newt is great at using rhetoric, but he cannot be trusted. His instincts are liberal.

Igor R. on November 24, 2011 at 5:01 PM

The War Planner on November 24, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Which ingot would you like first sir?

DarkCurrent on November 24, 2011 at 5:03 PM

1) R
2) o
3) n
4) P
5) a
6) u
7) l

ReformedAndDangerous on November 24, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Lourdes on November 24, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Speaking of O’bama Family Turkeys, P-BS last night showed the latest “In Performance at The White House” last night in our area (other P-BS stations will be showing it too, check your local station).

This was taped earlier this week and the theme was “Country Music”. But in the world of the Leftists assembling the list of artists, James Taylor and Darius Rucker of Hootie and The Blowfish were Country Artists, and were both put on the program. All involved should be totally embarassed, but they are all incapable of such an emotion.

During the performance, O’bama and Mooshelle and O’bama’s Mother-In-Law were sitting front row center. Mother-In-Law scowled the whole time; so much in fact that after a while the closeup camera cropped her out by shooting just to the left of her angry face.

Meanwhile, Mooshelle Smiled On Cue every time the red light same on at the front of that same camera.

It was painful to watch, and a slap in the face of a true American Music genre.

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Very good article Tina..We indeed have a good field of candidates for the GOP Primary..IMHO..:)

Dire Straits on November 24, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Wait…what? Is this a joke?

xblade on November 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM

We indeed have a good field of candidates for the GOP Primary..IMHO..:)

Dire Straits on November 24, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Come on. Seal your helmet.

DarkCurrent on November 24, 2011 at 9:06 PM

C’mon Tina… you left out the biggest reason to be thankful for this particular GOP presidential field: You are a DEMOCRAT!

benny shakar on November 24, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Wait…what? Is this a joke?

xblade on November 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM

It would be clear if this is a joke if there was some value judgment attached. Does Tina approve of this state of affairs? Should this be an insult or an attack? Does Tina think that amnesty is a good thing?

Igor R. on November 24, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Thanks, Tina. That was real nice of you and well written.

Mirimichi on November 24, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Igor R. on November 24, 2011 at 9:29 PM

You should already know all about insults. I’m amazed you are shameless enough to ask.

“If Mitt Romney is elected president, he’s not going to frog-march 10 million people to the Mexican border,” says Gingrich’s spokesman.

mike_NC9 on November 24, 2011 at 10:21 PM

AshleyTKing on November 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I appreciate the sentiment. But if there’s one thing we’ve learned from how Sarah Palin was treated by the media and her own party’s aparatchik’s, it’s that none of the above-mentioned Tea Partiers are running for this cycle’s presidential nomination. And the couple that might have been were cashiered out months ago.

gryphon202 on November 25, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Antiwar Radio: a Thanksgiving interview with Ron Paul.

Spathi on November 24, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I’d rather be stuck in a closet with angry paper wasps that like listening to Neil Diamond.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 25, 2011 at 1:41 AM

I want Maw Maw Grizzly..:)

Dire Straits on November 25, 2011 at 1:41 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on November 25, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Hello alt..Happy Thanksgiving to you and your Hubby..:)

Dire Straits on November 25, 2011 at 1:42 AM

I want Maw Maw Grizzly..:)

Dire Straits on November 25, 2011 at 1:41 AM

That ship already sailed, Dire.

gryphon202 on November 25, 2011 at 2:11 AM

our seven diligent presidential pilgrims

Ummm…. I count eight in the picture (In order, left to right, I think):

1. Santorum
2. Bachman
3. Gingrich
4. Romney
5. Cain
6. Perry
7. Paul
&
8. Huntsman

Did you mean to leave one out (i.e. seven diligent pilgrims and one not so diligent) or did you simply miscount (accidentally saying seven instead of eight)? :) :) :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Theophile on November 25, 2011 at 4:12 AM

That ship already sailed, Dire.

gryphon202 on November 25, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Palin didn’t belong in the Oval Office. If she had run I would have needed extra clothes pins and booze to be able to vote for her. she made the correct decision.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 25, 2011 at 8:03 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on November 25, 2011 at 8:03 AM

And on that, you and I will continue to disagree. Who could have done better at changing what needs to be changed? (Rhetorical question; feel free not to answer)

gryphon202 on November 25, 2011 at 1:55 PM