NFL Thanksgiving Day open thread

posted at 11:00 am on November 24, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Yes, I’m taking the day off to spend time with our family here in Minnesota, but that doesn’t mean we won’t be taking peeks at the games today.  Unlike in years past, the NFL doesn’t seem to be serving up any turkeys for Thanksgiving.  Thanks to a resurgent Detroit Lions team, we have a trio of exciting matchups today.

Last week I went 3-3 and took my season record to 42-24.  Can I avoid serving a turkey or two myself? Let’s see:

• Packers at Lions (12:30, Fox) — For the last several years, the Lions’ traditional Thanksgiving Day berth has been a joke.  This year they’re 7-3 and vying for a wildcard berth in the NFC.  Unfortunately, that’s because they share a division with the undefeated Packers.  Green Bay has had a couple of scares, including last week, so they’re not invincible … just undefeated.  The Lions will give the Pack a tough game and give football fans a great show, but expect Green Bay to prevail, 37-31.
  • Dolphins at Cowboys (4:15, CBS) — Miami has looked mostly inept until they suddenly put it all together three weeks ago, winning their third game of the season last week against Buffalo.  Now they have to do it all over again in Big D against the inconsistent Cowboys.  Dallas is 4-1 at home, while the Dolphins are 1-4 on the road, and they’re also 25th in the league against the pass.  Cowboys should handle Miami, but it won’t be  easy, 28-24.
  • 49ers at Ravens (8:15, NFL Network) — The Ravens are unbeaten at home.  The 49ers are unbeaten on the road.  Normally, I’d pick the home team in that kind of matchup, but the Ravens have looked vulnerable even in some of their wins.  I’m going to go with San Francisco in a mild upset against the Ravens, 24-17.

Once again, have a great Thanksgiving with your family and friends!

Comments

No turkeys today?

..there is if you live on the West Coast and can’t get the Niner game.

Still in all, so much to be thankful for..the present administration, the robust economy, the bright future..

*sigh*

May all Hot-Airians have a happy and bountiful Thanksgiving and here’s to a brighter one next year.

The War Planner on November 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

second! just like the Packers will be today! Go Stafford!

TheQuestion on November 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Yes. Happy Thanksgiving to all. (I will be in a turkey-induced coma in about three hours.)

As for the football games, I’m in the suburbs of Detroit–a (poor, suffering) Lions fan for life. I’m not one to gamble, but GB is giving 6 points, today. It’s the lock of the season–we’re going to get demolished. (37-17)

RedCrow on November 24, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Yes, I’m taking the day off to spend time with our family . . . . .

Day off noted, and grudgingly accepted.

Who am I kidding , , , , . . you deserve it, and so does your family. God bless you.

But now to the football; the only game that interests me is Packers/Lions.
I can’t begin to pick a “favored to win” here.
Lions have shown strong this season (best record, right?), but Greenbay ain’t chopped liver, either.
I’m gonna wimp-out, and say it could go either way.

We’ll see!
Either way, enjoy the family time. : )

listens2glenn on November 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM

As a Lions fan for the past 50 years, I would like to say the Lions have a chance. I would like to say that but being a Lions fan for the past 50 years prevents me from saying the Lions have a chance.
They like the GOP can snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.

flytier on November 24, 2011 at 11:21 AM

RedCrow on November 24, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Don’t be so pessimistic. I think (hoping actually) this will be a close one.

listens2glenn on November 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Heh,heh, Dolphins at Cowboys on Thanksgiving. Who could forget the famous Leon Lett brainfart game in the snow on Turkey Day when the Fish beat the Cowboys?

radjah shelduck on November 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Who knew everyone who comments on HotAir was from Detroit?!

RedCrow on November 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Ed- there’s no sense in the repeated “I’m going against the Ravens because____” meme unless you fill in the blank with “I’m a die hard Steelers fan.”

BKeyser on November 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I love when people with no football knowledge try to put down the superior team.
“TheQuestion” is – who does your typing for you child?
IF the Rions manage the upset today, the worst the THIRTEEN TIME WORLD CHAMPION GREEN BAY PACKERS can end up at is…
…wait of it…
TIED for best record in the NFL.
FIRST place.
and that is only if San Fran beats the Ravens.
Back to your basement “TheQuestion”.
Wash your hands, Mommy has lunch ready.
And stop doing that – you will get hair on your palms and you could go blind.

HammerNH on November 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM

OT: Speaking of Thanksgiving Turkeys, anyone catch Leftist Empty Suit Matt Lauer’s brain-fart this morning while he was doing the play-by-play of the parade?

He called the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins the Boston…Brewers.

Pretty shabby, especially since he worked in Boston early in his career, and also worked for ESPN.

BTW the Bruins won their 10th straight game last night.

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM

HammerNH on November 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Dude. Take it easy.

RedCrow on November 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM

He’s a lefty lib, therefore he wouldn’t know anything about a violent sport like Hockey. Go Wings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flytier on November 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I thought watching the football games is the same thing as taking the day off.

Cindy Munford on November 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM

NIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BallisticBob on November 24, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Ed and all,
Happy Thanksgiving to you from this Navysquid from the mountains of the Hindu Kush!

I am going with my beloved Cowboys over the Dolphins 35-17!

Of course us loyal Cowboy fans over here have to wake up at about 4AM to watch the game…haha but it is worth it!

g2825m on November 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM

flytier on November 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Forgot to include the video link in my original post.

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2011 at 11:43 AM

GO COWBOYS & AGGIES!

BTHO tu!

txag92 on November 24, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Gonna watch me some Lions and cook us some turkey babeeeeee!!

Happy Thanksgiving All !!

Tim_CA on November 24, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM

flytier on November 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Forgot to include the video link in my original post.

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2011 at 11:43 AM

While I had a good laugh at that one myself, and I have little respect for Lauer’s intelligence or perspective, I chalked that one up to an incompetent teleprompter transcriber.

Maybe I’m wrong.

When your intelligence comes from other people, your own reputation is at stake every time you read their words aloud. Couldn’t have happened to a better guy.

To all those who make America work: Happy Thanksgiving!

rwenger43 on November 24, 2011 at 11:58 AM

To all those who make help America work: Happy Thanksgiving!

rwenger43 on November 24, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Sorry, our would-be plantation-managers in the Dem Party might have thought I was referring to them, so I had to fix it.

Re. the NFL, does anybody else think the defenses will be taking the GB-DET game off?

rwenger43 on November 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Ed and all,

I am going with my beloved Cowboys over the Dolphins 35-17!

g2825m on November 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Thanks very much for your service. But as a lifelong Fins’ fan (born and raised in Miami) I will be rooting fao a Fins’ win in Big “D”.

VegasRick on November 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM

rwenger43 on November 24, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I could give Lauer a pass, but as I said in the original post he used to work in Boston TV. Everyone in Boston TV knows the names of the Boston pro sports teams.

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Funny how suddenly Steeler’s fans have become temp. 9er fans…:)

(My prediction: Forty Niners over the Ravens in a squeaker, 16-13)

Rovin on November 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Look at it as an automatic disqualification to run for national public office.

Cindy Munford on November 24, 2011 at 12:39 PM

VegasRick on November 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Vegas Rick,
Thanks! As long as we do not get the famous Snow Bowl in Dallas last time the Cowboys played Miami on Thanksgiving I think we should be fine…hahaha

Classic blooper to this day!

g2825m on November 24, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Vegas Rick,

Classic blooper to this day!

g2825m on November 24, 2011 at 12:44 PM

You gotta love Leon. Two of the best bloopers of all time. He can’t outdo Jim Marshall though.

VegasRick on November 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Ed, you should have been 4-2 last week. How could you seriously have picked the Vikings over the Raiders? Bet with your wallet, not your heart…

Cowboys will cough up a furball. Packers will survive the Lions. Ravens will make fewer mistakes than the ‘Niners.

Freelancer on November 24, 2011 at 1:20 PM

HammerNH on November 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM

..I think you should put down that glass of Sherry and step back from the bar.

:-)

The War Planner on November 24, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I now officially have connected to the NFL Network, (with new cable and a new box) and will be watching the Niner/Raven game in the comfort of my recliner/captain’s chair—who say’s Christmas can’t come early? Yeeeeee-Haaaawwwww!!!

Go Niners!

Rovin on November 24, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Don’t be so pessimistic. I think (hoping actually) this will be a close one.

listens2glenn on November 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Yeah. So far, I couldn’t be more wrong.
Thought we’d be down by at least 2 TDs at half. We have a chance, though Stafford looks a bit off.
Ooh–Nickelback (/sarc)

RedCrow on November 24, 2011 at 2:14 PM

GO LIONS!!! RAWWRRR!!!

abobo on November 24, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Go Packers!!! 14-0!!!

idesign on November 24, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Go Packers!!! 21-0!!!

idesign on November 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Go Niners!

Rovin on November 24, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Have you ever had that channel before, or is this your initiation?

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Over-under on Suh suspension: 2.5 Games.
(Oh–almost forgot: Same ol’ Lions!)

RedCrow on November 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Now, off to pass out with trip overdose.

RedCrow on November 24, 2011 at 3:47 PM

The NFL is becoming too much like the WWF. The games are fixed.

aigle on November 24, 2011 at 4:00 PM

The NFL is becoming too much like the WWF. The games are fixed.

aigle on November 24, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Your team lost? LOL

idesign on November 24, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Good news/bad news scenario for Ndamukong Suh. He’ll get a chance to visit New York and see all his Madison Avenue advertising buddies right after he gets the suspension from Roger Goodell.

Oh, and go Pack!

Mr. D on November 24, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Go Niners!

I am nervous about the game, though — we let Dallas back in, we let the ‘skins show way too many signs of life late in the game, and that Flacco kid (another qb who doesn’t get enough respect) is really good in the waning minutes of the 4th.

Niners 16-14.

DrSteve on November 24, 2011 at 5:02 PM

The biggest turkey today was Suh.

NNtrancer on November 24, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Suspend Suh soon… seriously…

Khun Joe on November 24, 2011 at 6:55 PM

C O W B O Y S !!!

Tim_CA on November 24, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Suspend Suh soon… seriously…

Khun Joe on November 24, 2011 at 6:55 PM

He slipped.

He doesn’t understand the rules.

The sun was in his eyes.

You just don’t get him….it’s not his fault.

Tim_CA on November 24, 2011 at 7:31 PM

The biggest turkey today was Suh.

NNtrancer on November 24, 2011 at 5:11 P

M

Suspend Suh soon… seriously…

Khun Joe on November 24, 2011 at 6:55 PM

True on both counts. Suh is out of control and needs a lengthy timeout. Two games unpaid would probably help him understand some new concepts, but I find it hard to believe that the same commissioner who reviewed this play and found no problems will suspend him for wrestling with another well-armored lineman after the whistle.

Jaibones on November 24, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Have you ever had that channel before, or is this your initiation?

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2011 at 3:18 PM

It’s my virgin voyage Del

Rovin on November 24, 2011 at 9:14 PM

What a total BS call on the Niner’s interception. I sure hope this game isn’t already decided.

Rovin on November 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM

As a native of Michigan and a long time suffering Lion’s fan I have to say that was a good first half for the usual Thanksgiving Day beat down.

BUT, the actions of Sue must not go unpunished. During the game I listen to family member talking about how unfair it is that the Lion’s have been labeled a dirty team especially Sue. Then Sue pulls that after the whistle head smashing and kicking like a little child stunt.

In the local news after game interview Sue did his best no apology, apology. I really think that he believes that he did nothing wrong.

Sue needs to be fined and suspended. I hate having the loss to the team but it is a behavior that cannot be allowed.

mechkiller_k on November 25, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Opps, replace Sue with Suh.

mechkiller_k on November 25, 2011 at 7:57 AM

WAIT a minute, maybe I hit on why the anger in Suh. Cause life ain’t easy for a boy name Suh.

mechkiller_k on November 25, 2011 at 8:00 AM

What a frustrating game. I think Suh getting booted was the point in which the Lions lost. Despite Stafford’s interception that led to the GB TD before the half, if Suh didn’t lose his freaking mind they would have been held to a FG and the second half would have been a different game.

NotCoach on November 25, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Have you ever had that channel before, or is this your initiation?

Del Dolemonte on November 24, 2011 at 3:18 PM

It’s my virgin voyage Del

Rovin on November 24, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Well, I’m sure you noticed that their play by play announcers pretty much suck…

Some good stuff on that channel, though-”NFL Replay” every Tuesday night condenses 2 of the most exciting games of the previous Sunday into 90 minutes each (they also run another single game the following night). And their “Sound FX” show is great, too.

Del Dolemonte on November 25, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Wait. You picked the Niners?

*snort*

*sniffle, snort*

*chuckle*

Hahahahahahahaahahaha!!!!!

*snort*

First rule of the 2011 Ravens: Never pick against them when playing a quality opponent.

Second rule of the 2011 Ravens: Hide your head in shame when they play a weak team on the road.

nukemhill on November 27, 2011 at 2:02 PM