Michele Bachmann babysat Gretchen Carlson

posted at 4:45 pm on November 23, 2011 by Tina Korbe

The two women talked about it on Fox and Friends two days ago:

Clearly, this isn’t earth-shattering news, but I wanted to highlight it for a couple of reasons. In the first place, I find it inspiring and motivating to learn that Michele Bachmann solidified her hardworking ways at a young age and that her caretakers’ instinct has been and continues to be organic. In other words, while it might be plausible that she took in 23 foster children because she thought it might “look good” as she pursued other professional dreams, it’s far less plausible to believe she babysat for the same reason. But the fact that she chose to babysit suggests to me that her passion for children began long before she had her own or before she and Marcus became foster parents — and that a genuine desire to give of herself led her to parent as prodigiously as she has. In other words, I wanted to write about this because I unabashedly think Michele Bachmann is a remarkable woman — but rarely receives the credit she deserves, perhaps because pundits are studiously trying to avoid giving the impression that they support her presidential candidacy.

But, secondly, I wanted to comment on this little nugget because I find the links between people particularly interesting. For some reason, it doesn’t come as much of a surprise to me that two poised and energetic women like Michele Bachmann and Gretchen Carlson are connected in more than just a professional way. A recent study shows that any given two Facebook users are connected by as little as 4.74 degrees of separation — less than the standard “six degrees.” Even as the global population grows, the world shrinks.

But, while we might all be more connected than we think, what circles we revolve in are not determined solely by chance. I’m fascinated by the way bright minds or bubbly personalities or hard workers seem to find one another. Take the Inklings, for example. How remarkable — and yet utterly understandable — that such highly inventive and insightful men would form themselves into a private little circle to hash out ideas.

But what stirs me now is the knowledge that the 21st-Century equivalent of the Inklings exists somewhere and it seems perfectly probable that they exist online. Today, just as then, top researchers, top writers, top talkers interact with one another, shape and influence each other’s work — but more of them interact with more of them, if that makes sense. It’s easy to think, in this Internet age, that information has become so important as to be almost unimportant. Everybody has a chance to sound off — and publication is instant — so it’s easy to feel that words don’t matter and that ideas come and go, with no durability, exerting pressure on the day-to-day, perhaps, but failing to profoundly shape history. In fact, the opposite is true. The aggregate force of so many opinions in contact is itself an idea most powerful. So, on the one hand, we are no different than any who have struggled to answer questions, but, on the other, we are equipped with each other as nobody in history has been before. That is, the spark of collaboration between two minds once was the result of just in-person interaction — and now can be the result of as little effort as a tweet.

All of this has been said before — that Twitter is the largest cocktail party in the world, that the Internet is the largest salon — but it never ceases to amaze and perplex me. As I’m recollecting all I have to be grateful for in advance of Thanksgiving, allow me to add this to the list: How lucky we are to live in 2011!

Comments

That’s a fun fact.

It’s a small world.

portlandon on November 23, 2011 at 4:48 PM

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about Tina Korbe, it’s that she’s obsessed with Bachmann. Sheesh.

NoStoppingUs on November 23, 2011 at 4:49 PM

NoStoppingUs on November 23, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Gee I thought it was Perry she was obsessed with. Can’t keep up with all the oh so obvious leanings of the HA staff.

sharrukin on November 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Or, like Michelle said, she just needed the money.

Rags to riches story though. Even if you don’t support her in the primary, her’s is a pretty inspiring story.

BacaDog on November 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Clearly, this isn’t earth-shattering news..

..but it’s sweet and so welcome these days in all of this bitter, mean-spirited news. Thank you for posting this, Ms Korbe.

God bless you and please have a fabulous Thanksgiving!

The War Planner on November 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM

“The aggregate force of so many opinions in contact is itself an idea most powerful.”

Then there is Spathi…

Seven Percent Solution on November 23, 2011 at 4:57 PM

She is a wonderful woman who believes in God and personal responsibility so must be destroyed by the left who want all people to look toward the Government as God and think of rights not responsibilities.

Grunt on November 23, 2011 at 5:03 PM

NoStoppingUs on November 23, 2011 at 4:49 PM

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about Tina, it’s that she’s becoming the token HotAir female, with all the requisite soft female topics. HotAir has become rather more feminine since she arrived.

DaydreamBeliever on November 23, 2011 at 5:04 PM

God bless you and please have a fabulous Thanksgiving!

I couldn’t agree more.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Ed! Thanks for my daily dose of sanity! Couldn’t make it without you big guy!

itsspideyman on November 23, 2011 at 5:05 PM

In the first place, I find it inspiring and motivating to learn that Michele Bachmann solidified her hardworking ways at a young age…

While at the same time, Moochelle still wasn’t proud or America.

DaydreamBeliever on November 23, 2011 at 5:04 PM

+100

Electrongod on November 23, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Tina what a great article. Thank you for both the “fun fact” aspect as well as highlighting the deeper nugget of the genuine, or as you put it, “organic” nature of MB’s philosophy.

In the spirit of strong, independent, thoughtful, and sincere women, I’d like to highlight Dorothy Sayers and her wonderful essay on education called The Lost Tools of Learning. It is the foundational work for the Classical Christian movement in this country. Again, thank you Tina. Here’s a bit of Sayers’ essay:

Has it ever struck you as odd, or unfortunate, that today, when the proportion of literacy throughout Western Europe is higher than it has ever been, people should have become susceptible to the influence of advertisement and mass propaganda to an extent hitherto unheard of and unimagined? Do you put this down to the mere mechanical fact that the press and the radio and so on have made propaganda much easier to distribute over a wide area? Or do you sometimes have an uneasy suspicion that the product of modern educational methods is less good than he or she might be at disentangling fact from opinion and the proven from the plausible?

Have you ever, in listening to a debate among adult and presumably responsible people, been fretted by the extraordinary inability of the average debater to speak to the question, or to meet and refute the arguments of speakers on the other side? Or have you ever pondered upon the extremely high incidence of irrelevant matter which crops up at committee meetings, and upon the very great rarity of persons capable of acting as chairmen of committees? And when you think of this, and think that most of our public affairs are settled by debates and committees, have you ever felt a certain sinking of the heart?

Weight of Glory on November 23, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Thanks, Tina, for the post on Michelle Bachmann. She is way under reported. Rush said one time that nearly everything that comes out of Michelle’s mouth is right. She is very hard working, smart, and highly determined.

balkanmom on November 23, 2011 at 5:12 PM

DaydreamBeliever on November 23, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I noticed to. There is Toilet paper on all the rollers, somebody finally cleaned out the microwave, and the somebody cleaned out the Refrigerator.

portlandon on November 23, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Based on what? You know people who have done this?? Seem plausible/rational to suspect this???

Didn’t think so…

winston on November 23, 2011 at 5:14 PM

portlandon on November 23, 2011 at 5:12 PM

but do you think anyone has said “thank you?”

DaydreamBeliever on November 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Come on, NoStop, lighten up! It’s Thanksgiving. Big deal if Tina is the whipped topping on the HA pumpkin pie.

BigAlSouth on November 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Thanks Tina, I really think MB is a principled person and a great leader. Many people have forgotten all the leadership and support she gave to the Tea Party in DC and rallies to stop obamacare, it took a lot of guts.

tim c on November 23, 2011 at 5:16 PM

but do you think anyone has said “thank you?”

DaydreamBeliever on November 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Not a chance. HA commenters are an ungrateful bunch.

They don’t even wipe their feet when they walk in the door.

portlandon on November 23, 2011 at 5:22 PM

portlandon on November 23, 2011 at 5:12 PM

but do you think anyone has said “thank you?”

DaydreamBeliever on November 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Lol. And THIS is why there aren’t more women occupying Wall Street!

The boys can grumble, but they like it when the niceties are attended to. Men can fight the battles, but women are the civilizing force in the world.

2L8 on November 23, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I learned this fun fact several years ago when it must have been the 1st or 2nd time Michelle Bachman was on Fox & Friends since Gretchen got the job. I thought it was interesting too. They are 2 very remarkable women & I admire them both.

Now, what is with all the Hot Air snark? Geesh.

Tina, I dont know you but I think you have been a great addition to the staff. Thanks.

And Happy Thanksgiving to Tina & all Hot Air readers. Even the snarky ones! : )

Terri on November 23, 2011 at 5:33 PM

portlandon on November 23, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Good stuff. Back in the day one of our more churlish buds always gave it away when he was back on with his girlfriend that he ultinately married. The guy was as rough as a cob but when he and his honey were getting along there would be doilies on the backs of his chairs and the beer cans would be off the floor. Hadn’t thought about those doilies in a long time.

DanMan on November 23, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Thank you, Tina, for posting this heartwarming anecdote. Whatever one might think of Michelle Bachmann’s political views or whether she should be President (or the Republican nominee), she was a hard-working, principled girl even when she was 12 years old, babysitting to earn a little extra money for her family.

At that time, she was just doing her job. Little did she know she would one day be elected to Congress, and that she had already babysat for a future Miss America.

Steve Z on November 23, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Men can fight the battles, but women are the civilizing force in the world.

You don’t know women. They are the ones who fight the hardest and the dirtiest and for the pettiest of reasons. Unlike men, women are naturally disposed to distrust other women. If the world was governed exclusively by women, we would have been nuked a long time ago.

keep the change on November 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM

DaydreamBeliever on November 23, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I guess they needed one after the Boss Emeritus left. Of course, Tina is lucky — she has yet to face the liberal meatgrinder for females who dare to differ.

unclesmrgol on November 23, 2011 at 5:47 PM

keep the change on November 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM

That’s why we need a bunch of conservative ones.

unclesmrgol on November 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Nope. I just checked and there’s nothing about this on Media Matters. Color me surprised: I’d have bet they’d use this as proof Fox News is biased.

radjah shelduck on November 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM

All Bachmann needs now is rimless glasses and she’ll be on her way!

milemarker2020 on November 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM

NoStoppingUs on November 23, 2011 at 4:49 PM

(wispering) shhhhh . . . . . don’t listen to them, Tina; keep the Michelle threads coming . . . .

listens2glenn on November 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM

God bless you and please have a fabulous Thanksgiving!

I couldn’t agree more.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

itsspideyman on November 23, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Dittos.

listens2glenn on November 23, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Who or what is a “gretchen carlson”?

benny shakar on November 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM

keep the change on November 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Geez, did your mom starch your shorts or what?

Many conservative women are the sweetest peaches you’d ever know. Sorry you’ve had such bad experiences. And MEN are not distrustful of other men? Oh well, when you have a hammer, everything’s a nail.

2L8 on November 23, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Oh well, when you have a hammer, everything’s a nail.

perhaps you should look at your blanket statement that men are the fighters, and women are the civilizing saving grace. Try holstering that hammer. I’m here to remind you that your blanket statement was more far wrong than right.

keep the change on November 23, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Grunt on November 23, 2011 at 5:03 PM

…and that Perry’s a crony capitalist who wants to hold little girls down and poison them with gardasil.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 23, 2011 at 6:33 PM

2L8 on November 23, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I’m a conservative woman who prides myself on NOT being sweet. I’m a feisty middle-aged b***h, thank you….and I find women to be much nastier than men-which is why most of my friends are male.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 23, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Collie, has it occurred to you that Tina Korbe and Michele Bachmann have something in common… something glaringly obvious?

My collie says:

Now that you mention it, CC, it seems to me that BOTH of them possess an abundance of redeeming qualities that, by comparison, vastly out-shine the clowns that currently surround each one of them.

Smart dog! Here’s a doggie biscuit.

CyberCipher on November 23, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Surprised this is getting so much attention rather then a couple of years ago when Gretchen talked about it when Michele Bachmann was a guest on the show and it has been referenced several times in the past. I guess it is just because she is now a presidential candidate and with the flap over the late night show shenanigans it somehow suits the narrative.

This just isn’t news for me. Go back to the last election cycle and it seems like everytime Bachmann was on Fox and Friends Gretchen would make sure to tell us that Michele was her babysitter.

Just A Grunt on November 23, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I’m hoping HornetSting doesn’t see this thread.

OTOH, maybe I do.

BobMbx on November 23, 2011 at 8:29 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on November 23, 2011 at 6:36 PM

You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. :)
Grow up.

2L8 on November 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM

BigAlSouth on November 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I’m just not sure why Tina’s getting paid to do puff pieces on her preferred Presidential candidate. Both Allah and Ed do real stories on HA, whereas Tina tends to post stuff like “Rumor of the day: Bachmann likes to wear red”.

Tina, stuff like this can be attached to other posts. It really doesn’t need its own post. More of a “P.S. Did you know Bachmann used to babysit Gretchen Carlson?”. Of course, you’re the expert here, but it’s hard to take your stuff seriously when you post stories like this.

NoStoppingUs on November 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM

NoStoppingUs on November 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Yeah, you’re absolutely right! Like Video: The freaky deaky “Indian talent show act traumatizes viewers for fun and profit” clip, for example. You sure told Tina, champ!

KS Rex on November 24, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Who or what is a “gretchen carlson”?

benny shakar on November 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM

I had to look it up, too. From Wikipedia:

Gretchen Elizabeth Carlson (born June 21, 1966) is an American television personality who currently co-hosts the Fox News morning show Fox & Friends along with Steve Doocy and Brian Kilmeade. An accomplished violinist and winner of the 1989 Miss America Pageant while representing her native Minnesota,

Gyro on November 24, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Gretchen sold out. She’s talented, smart, kind of hot if she wanted to be.. and she anchors fox & friends. It’s like if Bill Gates worked at Best Buy.

triple on November 24, 2011 at 2:35 AM

KS Rex on November 24, 2011 at 12:26 AM

My point exactly. That’s a silly one paragraph story. Tine wrote 6 PARAGRAPHS about Gretchen Carlson’s babysitter. Really? You don’t see the difference?

NoStoppingUs on November 24, 2011 at 5:22 AM

NoStoppingUs on November 23, 2011 at 4:49 PM

What’s obvious to me is that there are those that are obsessed with bashing every post she puts up.

hawkdriver on November 24, 2011 at 9:04 AM