Pelosi whines about Catholics having “this conscience thing”

posted at 7:18 pm on November 21, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Maybe she’s just jealous they have something she doesn’t …

According to LifeNews.com, Nancy Pelosi is upset that the U.S. Catholic bishops wouldn’t approve if the Obama administration did, in fact, decide to force insurance companies to cover birth control, contraception and drugs that could cause abortions. The bishops say that, under such a decision, some religious groups might have to provide the insurance against their moral and religious views.

Given the Catholic Church’s ban on contraception, the bishops’ position shouldn’t come as a surprise to Ms. Pelosi — but she still manages to be baffled by their concern for conscience protections for health insurers who might not want to have to cover birth control just to be able to provide other types of health insurance.

Similarly, she was skeptical earlier this year that Republicans would fight for conscience protections for health care providers out of any noble motive. Republicans must want women to “die on the floor,” she said, just because they don’t want to compel health care providers to assist with abortions.

She still thinks that — only more so, if that could possibly be.

“[Those who disagree] may not like the language,’’ she told The Washington Post, “but the truth is what I said. I’m a devout Catholic and I honor my faith and love it . . . but they have this conscience thing [that puts women at risk.]”

Shame on us! How dare we have a conscience!

Another little anecdote Pelosi told WaPo suggests the former speaker is also put out whenever a Catholic gives the pope’s positions on life more credence than they do hers. Nancy Pelosi knows the personal experience of motherhood as the pope never could — but that doesn’t mean she can reject his authority and credibly call herself Catholic. It means more to be Catholic than to just attend a Catholic Church. The authority of the magisterium is arguably the linchpin on which all other Catholic apologetics hang — and Pelosi’s repeated disregard for it makes me cringe when I read a quote from her to the effect that she loves and honors her faith. I’m not saying she has to be Catholic — just saying she should be honest with herself (and us!) about whether she is.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

She’s a soul-less wretch. What the hell would she know about having a conscience?

BacaDog on November 21, 2011 at 7:21 PM

selective catholicism

pathetic

cmsinaz on November 21, 2011 at 7:22 PM

I’m more Catholic than she is … and I’m Lutheran.

OhioCoastie on November 21, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Too bad the Roman Catholic hierarchy is such a bunch of Democrat sympathizing cowards. The Catholic bishops have no problem giving Republicans a hard time (most Republicans are Protestants), but give a pass to Catholic politicians (mostly Democrats).

People like Coumo, Kennedy, Kerry, Pelosi, get a pass from the Catholic bishops even though they support abortion.

The whole bunch of them should be excommunicated.

patch on November 21, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Best Speaker ever.

myrenovations on November 21, 2011 at 7:24 PM

BacaDog on November 21, 2011 at 7:21 PM

… and the thread should end perfectly right there.

beatcanvas on November 21, 2011 at 7:24 PM

“[Those who disagree] may not like the language,’’ she told The Washington Post, “but the truth is what I said. I’m a devout Catholic and I honor my faith and love it . . . but they have this conscience thing [that puts women at risk.]”

There is evil in this world.

She has excommunicated herself whether she knows it or not.

CW on November 21, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Can we be serious here for a moment?

She’s not a Catholic. Period. End of conversation. Full Stop.

She does not believe in the magisterium, therefore she’s not a Catholic. That’s the definition of being a Catholic.

I just wish her bishop would grow a pair and excommunicate her.

Sean Bannion on November 21, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Excommunication can be either latae sententiae (automatic, incurred at the moment of committing the offence for which canon law imposes that penalty); or it can ferendae sententiae (incurred only when imposed by a legitimate superior or declared as the sentence of an ecclesiastical court).[2]

Wiki

CW on November 21, 2011 at 7:26 PM

I just wish her bishop would grow a pair and excommunicate her.

Sean Bannion on November 21, 2011 at 7:25 PM

… … .. …. … . . ….. …………. …. … .. … .. ……

And they wonder why so many have given up on the Church.

CW on November 21, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I am surprised the Church hasn’t booted her a$$ out. Do they still allow her to take communion?

karenhasfreedom on November 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM

pelosi was rendered irrelevant in the November 2010 “Shallacking”. Let’s not give her another minute of airtime.

maineconservative on November 21, 2011 at 7:29 PM

I’m a devout Catholic

You keep using those words. I don’t think they mean what you think they mean.

Lily on November 21, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Souless political hack…

Seven Percent Solution on November 21, 2011 at 7:30 PM

karenhasfreedom on November 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM

she’ll receive it irregardless

cmsinaz on November 21, 2011 at 7:31 PM

It’s time for Holy Mother Church to ring the bell,close the book, and extinguish the candle for all “Catholics” like Pelosi. Maybe Benedict could go one better and put the U.S.A. under Papal Interdict and have American Catholics make a choice .

xkaydet65 on November 21, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Pelosi.

A cafeteria Catholic.

Kerry, too.

And a host of others as well.

Probably never heard of an examination of conscience.

For Pelosi, apparently, it would be a very very short exam.

coldwarrior on November 21, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Are there any insurance companies who don’t already cover birth control???

I don’t really see what this has to do with the Catholic Church. They should not be able to force Catholic hospitals to do things against their religion but what does this have to do with insurers?

Buy Danish on November 21, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I’d suspect her of being a Cafeteria Catholic, but Queen Nan would never deign to go to something as lowbrow as a cafeteria.

Buffet Table Catholic?

malclave on November 21, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Pelosi is about as Catholic as Obama bin Laden is Jewish.

A special place in Hell is being constructed for people like Osama, Obama, Pelosi, Reid, etc.,etc. so that they can spend their eternity enduring a torture that the rest of the demons would consider orgasmic.

They deserve nothing less.

turfmann on November 21, 2011 at 7:35 PM

karenhasfreedom on November 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM

No parish in the SF Archdiocese is going to refuse her Communion.

JohnGalt23 on November 21, 2011 at 7:37 PM

She and the other pseudo Catholics have excommunicated themselves. It remains only for her Bishop to call her to conversion and to deny her the sacraments until such time as she mends her ways. Among other thing she has committed “scandal” a very serious matter in the Church. This is not something one wants to flirt with especially at Ms. Pelosi’s age. She should read the actuarial tables.

Mason on November 21, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I wonder, if Ms. Pelosi, would be so “baffled” if Muslims spoke out about not approving Obamacare’s contraception and abortion pills. Oh wait, they have a waiver, don’t they?!

Hobbes on November 21, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I’m a devout Catholic…

Lying skank says what? No “devout” Catholic promotes abortion. Period.

NotCoach on November 21, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Christopher Hitchens is closer to being a Catholic than Pelosi is.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 21, 2011 at 7:42 PM

You and the other faux Catholics who support abortion explain that to Jesus when you see Him.

madmonkphotog on November 21, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Remember: She’s not only THE Great Theologian, but a biblical scholar too!

theCork on November 21, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Madame Speaker: “I’m a devout Catholic. Except when I’m voting for abortion rights, embryonic research, late term abortions . . .”.

BigAlSouth on November 21, 2011 at 7:46 PM

On page 27 of the hardcover edition of her book, Know Your Power, Nancy Pelosi says:

“But I told them that my parents didn’t raise me to be Speaker, they raised me to be holy. That was their measure of a successful child.”

FAIL!

It is time for Catholics to speak out against politicians, like Nancy Pelosi, who consistently mock the Catholic Church.

wren on November 21, 2011 at 7:47 PM

*cough*HORSE$H!T!!!cough*

ProudPalinFan on November 21, 2011 at 7:50 PM

I’m a devout Catholic and I honor my faith and love it .

I just don’t PRACTICE it. You might call it ‘faith of convenience’.

Nancy-poo over looks the fact that women can go elsewhere; other than to Catholic medical facilities.

GarandFan on November 21, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Hey, Bill Clinton honors his wife Hillary, too. Same thing.

azkag on November 21, 2011 at 7:54 PM

It is excellent for humanity that Martin Luther has won big. Most Catholics share his view of the Pope’s authority. Pelosi’s statememnt means she is just a typical American Catholic. I celebrate people thinking for themselves–even someone as lousy at thinking as Pelosi.

Anyway, I doubt many of the Hotair are really interested in Catholic theocracy. The Catholic Church also has taken stands on many other political issues. It seems that the Catholic Jesus requires us to flood our country with poor immigrants until our entire nation is one giant Brazilian favela. Seriously, Catholic nuns abet illegal aliens to break our laws with Catholic Church compliance and approval! The Church also preaches the morality of Obama-size socialism. Certainly something like Obamacare is morally required. No one conservative honestly wants to listen that much to the Catholic Church’s political program.

thuja on November 21, 2011 at 7:55 PM

The Apostle Paul made clear that while we reach out to sinners, if associating with them is leading us to sin, we should withdraw from them. Pelosi is leading in the wrong direction on a number of areas. (Even if you do not believe a fetus is a life, she clearly has promoted coveting your neighbor’s property)and bears false witness against her fellow congressmen with comments like they want women to drop dead on the floor. Wouldn’t it be appropriate for the church leadership to point out her open errors and caution believers not to follow her teachings?

One of the attractions of the Catholic faith is its steadfastness through the ages in its ideals of right and wrong despite vacillating public sentiment. If you want to choose for yourself what to believe and do, you can become a Methodist where it’s largely your responsibility to figure things out for yourself using scripture, tradition, personal experience and reason; but you cannot adopt the Methodist approach and reject Catholic Doctrine while claiming to adhere to it.

KW64 on November 21, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Great, another lecturing abortion post from Tina!

Pablo Honey on November 21, 2011 at 8:01 PM

St. Ignatius Loyola developed 14 rules for Living a Discerning Life. Rule number 1 is:

“The first rule: in persons who are going from mortal sin to mortal sin, the enemy is ordinarily accustomed to propose apparent pleasures to them, leading them to imagine sensual delights and pleasures in order to hold them more and make them grow in their vices and sins. In these persons the good spirit uses a contrary method, stinging and biting their consciences through their rational power of moral judgment.”

Nancy, that “conscience” thingie is trying to help you. It’s stinging an biting for a reason. You could try and listen for a “change.” Or not…

karl9000 on November 21, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Here’s another reason it’s a good thing women can’t be priests:

Make me Pope for one day — just one day — and watch me clean house. They wouldn’t know what hit them.

englishqueen01 on November 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM

thuja on November 21, 2011 at 7:55 PM

That’s a nice diatribe of nothing ya got there. So nice we can all ignore its inaneness.

Taking a political position is not the same thing as not honoring the sanctity of life just so you know. Not honoring the sanctity of life is a deal breaker for Catholicism. No one who promotes abortion is a Catholic whether they are excommunicated or not. It is like calling yourself man even thought you have a v@gina and boobs. Calling yourself that doesn’t make it true.

NotCoach on November 21, 2011 at 8:06 PM

The whole bunch of them should be excommunicated.

patch on November 21, 2011 at 7:24 PM

This is nothing but the truth. But if they did that, they’d surely start hearing things like ‘maybe you guys shouldn’t have that tax exempt thing going for you’….

And they wonder why so many have given up on the Church.

CW on November 21, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Yeah, it’s funny how the people that should give up on it don’t because it’s great to throw it out there when it’s convenient…If you don’t want to follow the rules…don’t join the club. Or whine about it when the club won’t change the rules just for you.

BigWyo on November 21, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Yeah, we believe in that Jesus guy, that Bible thingy and that whole thing about so-called “sin”

Opposite Day on November 21, 2011 at 8:08 PM

But Kennedy(s) were Catholic also: what an inspiration. This is why I’ve blown off reconciliation/confession. I’ll discuss it with St Peter and I’ll bet I can make my case. A Catholic.

Dingbat63 on November 21, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Are there any insurance companies who don’t already cover birth control???

Buy Danish on November 21, 2011 at 7:33 PM

In short, yes they exist. They charge lower premiums to their clientele because they are low-risk, ie non-smoking, non-drinking, non-promiscous etc, etc. When assessing the Amish, are you going to factor the above in calculating the health/life insurance policy? About the only high-risk they have is being creamed by a motor vehicle.

AH_C on November 21, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Nancy is a breath of Summers Eve.

gbear on November 21, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Rick Santorum is the only nationally known Catholic politician I can think of who actually seems to follow the teaching of Catholicism.

The rest, not so much.

INC on November 21, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Nancy is a breath of Summers Eve.

gbear on November 21, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Would that be pre-circuit or post-circuit???

BigWyo on November 21, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I’m a faithless heathen, and her words are appalling.

MadisonConservative on November 21, 2011 at 8:32 PM

The whole bunch of them should be excommunicated.

patch on November 21, 2011 at 7:24 PM

+ a bazillion…

too bad a former Mayor of Baltimore didn’t believe in abortion about 70 years ago…

Khun Joe on November 21, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Pelosi’s attitude shouldn’t come as a surprise . . . Marxists, socialists, communists and Democrat leftists are at best enemies of the entire Christian religion. It’s time we called the game for what it is.

rplat on November 21, 2011 at 8:35 PM

So if Catholics are so anti-abortion, why do they vote democrat election after election? The fact is her position is the position of the vast majority of catholics. They have the back of the democratic party. So they are not the natural constituency of the Right. Let Pelosi et al claim them as her own because they are much closer to the democrats ideologically than they are republicans.

And, as far as the issue is concerned, if someone can be anti-abortion, then for them to be also anti-birth control is hypocritical when the fact is that if all those billions of pregnancies avoided by birth control were actually conceived, the number of abortions would also be in the billions. Do they care? Of course, not. So the anti-abortion ideology has nothing to do with saving cute little fetuses from destruction. Full stop. It has everything to do with politics of social conservative values, specifically wanting to pump out as many babies as possible.

keep the change on November 21, 2011 at 8:41 PM

With Pelosi, one word comes to mind: delusional.

And that’s giving her the moral benefit of the doubt.

paul1149 on November 21, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Anathema

pambi on November 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM

There’s a long, deep Dem identity thing among RCs – Irish Catholics, Italians and all that. And the hierarchy has long flirted with liberation theology, which is kissing cousin to socialism. Finally, the bishops persist in refusing to deny communion to these miscreants. Hard to understand how they can’t see the broken witness they are making.

paul1149 on November 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM

My daughter was not allowed, by our parish priest, to be baptized at the church I was married, that I had been going to all of my life and that my parents still went to, because my husband was in the military, and we travelled everywhere and didn’t have a real home. I was told by the bishop himself, that the parish priest had the last word and he didn’t have to do the bapitsm. I had been sending in my church envelopes to this church wherever we were stationed, but was not considered a member of this church. That was the last time I was in a Catholic church, until my mother’s funeral. They will allow scum like Pelosi, Kennedy, Kerry et al,into the church and take communion, but I could not baptise my child at the church I had been going to all of my life. None of my children have been baptized Catholic and they know why. We sent them to Catholic schools and paid full price, but their religion teachers all told us that the parish priest was very wrong. But the damage was done.

megthered on November 21, 2011 at 8:59 PM

I’d call her a BK Catholic — she wants it her way.

sadatoni on November 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM

karenhasfreedom on November 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM

She takes communion and they take her cash. No different that Mafia members.

darwin-t on November 21, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Great, another lecturing abortion post from Tina!

Pablo Honey on November 21, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Go sit in the corner, lick your as$ and shut the hell up.

darwin-t on November 21, 2011 at 9:06 PM

megthered on November 21, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Bears repeating..

Yer just average schmoe….Unlike someone like Peolosi..you can’t mess with their bottom line…

BigWyo on November 21, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Go sit in the corner, lick your as$ and shut the hell up.

darwin-t on November 21, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Oh my…

BigWyo on November 21, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Pre-Vatican II, this witch would have been excommunicated long ago.

And previous to that, burned at the stake.

I kind of favor the latter. Sentimental that way.

NoDonkey on November 21, 2011 at 9:11 PM

AH_C on November 21, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Ah, okay, thanks. FTR, I don’t think insurance companies should be forced to cover anything. Better to have free markets/competition and allow buyers a menu of options to choose from.

Buy Danish on November 21, 2011 at 9:15 PM

‘because my husband was in the military, and we travelled everywhere and didn’t have a real home.

I had the same issue, except I got my children baptized by Catholic Chaplains, one at Fort Meyer and the other at Fort Sam Houston. Not too hard to figure out.

NoDonkey on November 21, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Buy Danish on November 21, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Indeed. Free market works best w/o govt mandates and customers buy just the coverage they need.

AH_C on November 21, 2011 at 9:22 PM

“but the truth is what I said. I’m a devout Catholic and I honor my faith and love it”

With all due respect (that is, not much) Mrs. Pelousy, you’re either an idiot, a liar, or some combination of the two. Perhaps you should consider Revelation 21:8 -

“…as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” (emphasis mine).

Perhaps before you flap your gums again Mrs. Pelousy, you’d like to contemplate dog-paddling in the Lake of Fire for eternity. It doesn’t sound pleasant.

oldleprechaun on November 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM

NotCoach on November 21, 2011 at 8:06 PM

If what I said is so inane, I would think a few sentences explaining why I am wrong would be easy. Please do supply them.

On the particular issue of abortion, whose Catholicism is the “sanctity of life” a deal breaker? It isn’t for the majority of American Catholics, as we know from their voting in elections. Why do you think Catholics should be the intellectual slaves of a self-perpetuating medieval institution, the Catholic hierarchy? Why not a Catholic Church with democratic debate? If you disagree with me, tell me what you want believers in Islam, the religion of jihad, to do. Should they bomb your mother’s house because their religious leaders tell them to?

thuja on November 21, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Lord grant Your wayward daughter understanding, while she is still here and can turn from her sin. Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on her.

The Lord died for her just as much as He died for me, and He loves her still. I continue to pray for her because He still loves her.

talking_mouse on November 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM

keep the change on November 21, 2011 at 8:41 PM

You are at best ignorant and dishonest. I think down deep you are ugly and evil.

CW on November 21, 2011 at 9:51 PM

megthered on November 21, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Drop a note to the website Spirit Daily and they will take you seriously.

ProudPalinFan on November 21, 2011 at 9:52 PM

thuja on November 21, 2011 at 9:48 PM

This is not rocket science. If a person does not accept and practice fundamental tenants of the Catholic Church, they are not a Catholic. You can have your silly arguments on whether or not Catholicism should change to fit so called American ideals with yourself. Sometimes there are rules for being a member of a club. And when those rules are violated a person is no longer a member. But in the case of Catholicism the rule breakers sometimes delude themselves into believing they haven’t booted themselves.

NotCoach on November 21, 2011 at 9:54 PM

talking_mouse on November 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Thanks for slapping me back the correct attitude.

oldleprechaun on November 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Pearls Before Swine comics had a series last week that is very applicable:

AZfederalist on November 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Let’s try that with the link

AZfederalist on November 21, 2011 at 9:57 PM

NotCoach on November 21, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Thank you.

keep the change on November 21, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Oh and strangely the Church actually teaches birth control. Ignorant.

CW on November 21, 2011 at 10:01 PM

xkaydet65 on November 21, 2011 at 7:32 PM

An attempt such as this one looks good on paper, but would probably provoke a schism. Historically, the Church has feared a schism more than a heresy. You can fight a heresy because it remains within the body. But a schism means the body is torn apart, and that part of it cannot be fixed. It’s not a pretty picture, but it’s usually the way it is.

manwithblackhat on November 21, 2011 at 10:03 PM

megthered on November 21, 2011 at 8:59 PM

There is more to your scenario than is being told here. Drop me a note privately and I will put you in touch with someone who can help you sort this out.

manwithblackhat on November 21, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Probably never heard of an examination of conscience.

Remember when Teddy was ready to croak he sent that pathetic letter to the Pope seeking some special dispensation for all the evil he was in neck deep.

tessa on November 21, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Heck my brother was all involved in Scientology and my mother baptized his kids in the kitchen sink.

tessa on November 21, 2011 at 10:09 PM

I’m a devout Catholic and I honor my faith and love it . . . but

And the Pope is Jewish!
Nag nanci must be an embarrasment to the Church!
How anyone can vote for this bainless twit is beyond me…

Bambi on November 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM

This woman is hollow completely hollow.

Dr Evil on November 21, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Pelosi’s statememnt means she is just a typical American Catholic.

thuja on November 21, 2011 at 7:55 PM

A what? Typified or exemplified?

ericdijon on November 21, 2011 at 10:37 PM

NotCoach on November 21, 2011 at 9:54 PM

So you know better than the bishops? The successors to the Apostles? The princes of the church? The shepherds? Because they continue to allow these people to openly participate in the Eucharist… would you like to argue that they don’t know what you know?

By you accounting, I would guess that the vast majority of American Catholics are thus “not Catholic.” What percentage of ACs believe that masturbation is a “grave [mortal] sin”? Hoa many attend mass EVERY Sunday and Holy Day of Obligation (failure to do so is a “grave [mortal] sin”? Are which dictates of sin should they believe since they change every generation?

Pelosi whines about Catholics having “this conscience thing”

Only when it’s convenient, Nancy.

mankai on November 21, 2011 at 11:03 PM

How anyone can vote for this brainless twit is beyond me…

Bambi on November 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM

English is a second language for a large portion of San Francsico voters. So sadly, these voters are vulnerable to being told how to vote by Unions, ethnic power brokers and other liberal groups.

Until we set a higher bar for English fluency before granting naturalized citizenship, it is unrealistic to assume that many San Franciscan Voters will be fully informed about their election choices.

wren on November 21, 2011 at 11:09 PM

karenhasfreedom on November 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM

I believe she purchases communion…

Big John on November 21, 2011 at 11:26 PM

mankai on November 21, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Vast majority of Catholics support abortion through their everyday actions, including voting?

And yes, I do know better. But so do the higher ups in the Catholic Church. They just refuse to do anything about it. But supporting abortion is an automatic disqualifier even if not chastised by a bishop. Masturbation is not.

NotCoach on November 21, 2011 at 11:26 PM

But reading about Pelosi’s despicable equivocations on Catholicism can only make me conclude she isn’t even a cheaster. Rather, she’s a CHEATER.

When she finally kicks the bucket and shoves her way up to the front of the line at Heaven’s gate to see St Peter, she will find that her sins & arrogance will make sure she’s on the express train to Hell.

CatchAll on November 21, 2011 at 11:29 PM

You aren’t Catholic because you attend church. I am tired of the putting women at risk argument. Risk of what? Health risks or a little problem that grows inside of you for 40 weeks and then becomes a financial problem for 18+ years?

LadyGator88 on November 21, 2011 at 11:29 PM

talking_mouse on November 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Amen. I real wretched that this was not in my heart until I read your post. Thank you.

Elisa on November 21, 2011 at 11:36 PM

The rest, not so much.

INC on November 21, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Rick Santorum is a true and devout Catholic, God bless him.

but Newt Gingrich also seems to have turned his life around and he agrees with and follows the teachings of the Church. He converted a few years ago because he was attending Mass every week with his Catholic wife and agreed with the theology.

Elisa on November 21, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Maybe she’s just jealous they have something she doesn’t …

Like a SOUL?

“. . . but they have this conscience thing [that puts women at risk.”

Can someone inform this disgusting piece of human filth that roughly half of those being slaughtered are female?

dominigan on November 21, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Among us Catholics, we jokingly refer to holiday-season Catholics as “cheasters”, i.e. they only attend Mass at Christmas and Easter. . . . .

CatchAll on November 21, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Reminds me of a little joke:

There were three country churches in a small Texas town: Presbyterian, Methodist and Catholic.

Each church was overrun with pesky squirrels. One day, the Presbyterian church called a meeting to decide what to do about the squirrels.

After much prayer and consideration they determined that the squirrels were predestined to be there and they shouldn’t interfere with God’s divine will.

The Methodist group got together and decided that they were not in a position to harm any of God’s creations.

So, they humanely trapped the squirrels and set them free a few miles outside of town. Three days later, the squirrels were back.

It was only the Catholics who were able to come up with the best and most effective solution:

They baptized the squirrels and registered them as members of the church. Now they see them only on Christmas and Easter.

Elisa on November 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM

talking_mouse on November 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM

[crap] Thank you for saying what I should have instead of venting like I did.

dominigan on November 21, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Nice anti-Catholic rhetoric going on in here, you ignorant bigots.

Excommunication is NOT some total ban from the Church. It merely places the person “out of communion” because of certain acts, and the object is to bring them back into communion as quickly as possible – but of course this requires sincere repentance and reconciliation, which is a two way street.

As far as who is eligible to receive Communion, the teaching is that those elected officials who vote for abortion and defend it publicly should not, but enforcement is left up to the Diocese. Many priests hesitate to withhold the Eucharist, in case the lay person has reconciled out of his direct knowledge. But Pelosi and the others clearly should know they aren’t supposed to participate in the Sacrament.

They do anyway, many of them very publicly. That’s on them, though.

Adjoran on November 22, 2011 at 12:26 AM

The problem I had was that the parish priest waited until the day before the baptism to tell us. He was a coward and knew I would be angry. We had planned it before she was born, then had to have an emergenccy C-section and my daughter was in intensive care for two weeks. He could have told me any time. Instead he waited until the entire family had flown in from all over the country, and told my mother instead of me. He tried to get out of seeing me, but I raised heck and went to the bishop.
I am over the Catholic church. Still angry, 25 years later.

megthered on November 22, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Pelosi, Biden, Durbin, Sebilius, & Kennedy to name but a small few have caused grievous injury and scandal to the Church. While excommunication is rightly a private issue, it’d be nice to see the Bishops publicly condemn these wayward pols.

Iblis on November 22, 2011 at 12:40 AM

I am over the Catholic church. Still angry, 25 years later.

Sounds like you are more worried that your party got spoiled than you about whether you had a baptism or not. Otherwise your baby would have been baptised in the hospital since she was so sick. No wonder the priest was reluctant to talk to you. He was, afterall, dealing with the kind of person who holds a 25 year grudge against an entire church and everyone in it over something like this.

Lily on November 22, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Nothing like a Christmas Catholic………oh wait she’s a lib I meant Holiday Catholic.

xler8bmw on November 22, 2011 at 3:47 AM

“…but the truth is what I said.” Nancy believes she has veto power over God.

curved space on November 22, 2011 at 5:56 AM

In the climactic scene of The Exorcist, there were two Catholics in the room and whatever Nancy is.

Kafir on November 22, 2011 at 7:00 AM

NotCoach on November 21, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I don’t agree. A Catholic is someone who wants to the follow the Catholic tradition and such a person may well reject some “fundamental tenets” of the Church. Who gives the Catholic hierarchy exclusive rights to decide what is or is not a fundamental tenet? I am just as willing to listen to Pelosi’s ideas about what Catholicism is.

Nor is the Catholic Church going to make any effort to exclude Pelosi. I noticed some people suggesting that the Catholic hierarchy should excommunicate her. As someone hostile to the Catholic Church hierarchy, I would love for them to excommunicate everyone who has voted for a “pro-choice” politician. But we all know that the Catholic Church hierarchy will never, ever give up all the power and money they get from having typical American Catholics in the pews.

thuja on November 22, 2011 at 7:51 AM

…why is this woman not in jail yet for Insider Trading? Someone seriously ought tio file a complaint with the police and have an arrest warrant signed out for her. I would pay handsomely to see on CSPAN Nancy Pelosi served with papers on the House Floor, hands cuffed behind her back, and led off to jail right in front of all her fellow House Members, demonstrating and driving the point home that they are not above the laws they pass!

easyt65 on November 22, 2011 at 7:54 AM