Open thread: The Thanksgiving Family Forum non-debate

posted at 4:00 pm on November 19, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

Gosh, it seems like we haven’t had a presidential debate in … hours. Today, another gathering of (most of) the presidential hopefuls will take place in Iowa at the Thanksgiving Family Forum, sponsored by The Family Leader. It’s slated for two hours, beginning at 5 PM eastern, 4 PM local time. Thus far I haven’t been able to locate a television channel covering it. (Though that didn’t stop MSNBC from airing – and no, I’m not making this up – I Married the Beltway Sniper during the same time slot.) But at the web site they provide a link to a CitizenLink live webcast of the debate so you can watch there. Or, if you’d rather hang out here at Hot Air, we’re embedding it right here with additional updates below.

The sponsors are listing candidates as confirmed: Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul, Rick Perry and Rick Santorum. Mitt Romney is listed as invited but not yet confirmed. As always, you can join along and critique the performance in the comments section.

The event is once again being billed as “not your usual debate format” so all bets are off. The host is Frank Luntz, and he’s promising the following:

“I promise this won’t be like anything you’ve ever seen. No gotcha questions by the panel. No spin by the politicians. Just an authentic discussion among the people who seek to lead this great nation. It has the potential to be the most important forum of the primary presidential campaign.”

I’ll be trying to follow along, but I do have to wonder about the timing of yet another forum such as this. It’s in the afternoon on a fall weekend when many families are out and about and they’re going up against five different college football games in my area. Then again, it’s ostensibly targeted for the voters in Iowa, and I assume they are doing some local broadcasting of it, so perhaps it makes sense. Either way, expect to see lots of topics near and dear to Christian Conservative and a lot less fiscal or foreign policy. Enjoy!

Update (Allahpundit): Neither Romney nor Huntsman will attend, thus averting any awkward questions about religious differences.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Cain has told us that. He agrees with you. He says he has never put himself in such a situation and that it never happened.

Cindy Cooper on November 20, 2011 at 1:46 AM

Link link, cause that was the argument I was looking for from him to believe him.

astonerii on November 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Very good forum. You get to hear real ideas and positions that you don’t with those 30 second sound bites. It is clear though that Newt probably has to be one of the smartest people to ever run for the office and he is looking good doing it. No condensation or talking down to just the facts that make sense. Baggage be darned, I am on board with Newt.

jistincase on November 20, 2011 at 12:07 PM

condescension not condensation geesh!

jistincase on November 20, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Sontorums had the saddest story by far.

astonerii on November 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Frank Luntz gets the best statement? About attacking each other in the debates.

astonerii on November 20, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I have to say, by far the least conservative person is turing out to be Herman Cain. His answers that always turn towards the civil rights act are by far the most supportive of the progressive agenda and their PC movement. The government through the civil rights act is doing nothing less than control of the mind.

astonerii on November 20, 2011 at 12:46 PM

This was an amazing debate, on so many levels. It needs to be shared with all your Conservative friends and family.

sinsing on November 20, 2011 at 1:03 PM

All the candidates there gained from being there. About the only thing that bothered me was Cain’s responses that had to move over to the civil rights act. But his overall performance was beneficial.

astonerii on November 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM

astonerii on November 20, 2011 at 12:46 PM

astonerii on November 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I really don’t know what you are talking about. Cain is one of (or maybe the most) pure conservatives of the group.

He brought up the Civil Rights Act in response to the States rights question about “do States have the right to do something immoral.” And (if I remember correctly) Luntz specifically directed it to him because of race. Not sure if it was that question or another one.

The Civil Rights Act wasn’t some liberal piece of nonsense. It ended segregation. It came before all the nonsense started. But most conservatives support the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

I support it.

Wikipedia:

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub.L. 88-352, 78 Stat. 241, enacted July 2, 1964) was a landmark piece of legislation in the United States[1] that outlawed major forms of discrimination against blacks and women, including racial segregation. It ended unequal application of voter registration requirements and racial segregation in schools, at the workplace and by facilities that served the general public (“public accommodations”).

Elisa on November 20, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Elisa on November 20, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Cain, Bachmann and Santorum are the 3 most pure conservatives. I forgot about them, was thinking of the frontrunners. All of the candidates yesterday were great and are true conservatives, even if they stray now and then. Except Ron Paul on foreign policy.

Elisa on November 20, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I thought Rick Perry was outstanding tonight. Yes, Newt was smart, he is always smart… but I have a very difficult time getting past all his baggage.

Rapunzel on November 20, 2011 at 1:30 AM

I also agree with you. Actually, Perry has been great the last few weeks (minus the 53 seconds which are nothing to me and I can’t believe the uproar over it.) He even handled that well.

I can see him resurging.

And more than what he said, his body language when he was listening to the others and how he patted Cain on the back said alot to me.

Elisa on November 20, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Elisa on November 20, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Started the quota system. Created a special class of citizen. Forces people to associate. In the end becomes government enforced thought. He went to it two additional times after the initial question. It is in fact the only answer that gave me a feeling of disgust. I understand that the government is not allowed to discriminate, but the word discriminate is not a word to describe an evil activity.

Before the civil rights acts there were numerous black business people. Low black unemployment. What do we have today in comparison? The fact that Cain is one of the FEW black business people that it makes him special. Black unemployment is staggeringly high. Those people who had their thoughts changed by force by the government lost respect for blacks. Blacks lost the basis for their own respect, which was accomplishment, but since accomplishment was state mandated, they no longer had self respect.

The government over reached. There was no need for a constitutional amendment, and all that was required was enforcement of existing laws. But the left always wants equality of outcome, and this was a perfect pathway to the beginning of such a society.

So, while the federal government has the power to stop a state from doing wrong, it should not have the power to make law abiding individuals associate, promote a special class of citizen, or otherwise have state mandated thought forms. The damage from these distortions, as witnessed by history should be self evident enough that the harm far outweighs the benefit.

astonerii on November 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM

astonerii on November 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM

You’re telling me all the liberal nonsense that started AFTER the Civil Rights Act. Do you really believe that segregation was a good thing for Black people and for this country? I’m sure you don’t.

That liberals in the 1960′s took everything (not just Civil rights) and turned it upside down is not the fault of the institutions and good things they turned upside down.

Cain was taking a piece of history that applied to him personally and talked about it briefly a couple of times, after being asked about it specifically to begin with. That shouldn’t be a problem for anyone. It’s certainly not for me.

Elisa on November 20, 2011 at 11:57 PM

I am saying it did not need a civil rights act. It needed the existing laws enforced at the time. The government may not discriminate, the citizens assuredly should have the right to do so.

astonerii on November 21, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I missed the forum, and thank those who posted links – will watch later.

Even having missed it, I’ve learned a lot from THIS forum. Thanks to all for a great thread – I’ve printed out many comments for further study, as they’re invaluable in providing further information and insight for the overall consideration of these candidates. Kudos!

GGMac on November 21, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Another take on this wonderful event is here.

Dr. Mercury on November 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Good to see Michele Bachmann got third-billing behind a sitcom actor and a muppet on Jimmy Fallon’s show tonight. :D

benny shakar on November 22, 2011 at 4:22 AM