Video: Fallen Marine’s fiancée enlists

posted at 6:10 pm on November 18, 2011 by Tina Korbe

She might have descended into incurable grief. She might have allowed herself to be overcome with bitterness or resentment. She might have made it her mission to oppose the war in Afghanistan and to petition to bring the troops home immediately instead. But she didn’t. Hats off to Miss Madeline Cates, who will deploy in the same month she would have gotten married — had her fiancé not been killed in Afghanistan. What a reminder that one of the most powerful ways to honor our fallen is to finish the mission they started!

Comments

What an incredible Lady. I am in love.

400lb Gorilla on November 18, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Wow. That is probably one of the most moving and incredible things I have ever heard of. Respect.

RDE2010 on November 18, 2011 at 6:16 PM

wow…

you go girl!

cmsinaz on November 18, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Semper Fidelis, Ms. Cates.

I am proud of you. Go get ‘em.

ted c on November 18, 2011 at 6:17 PM

OMG, bless your wonderful heart Madeline. The one you loved died for what he wanted to do and now you will continue his love for our country. God be with you and thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you have chosen to do. May God put His arms around every man, woman, and family of our military.
L

letget on November 18, 2011 at 6:17 PM

One of the saddest and most moving things I’ve ever seen is when I visited Arlington Nat’l Cemetary with a friends father (his son was killed in Afghanistan). While there visiting his son’s grave, a young widow ~23-26 years old, sat with a blanket spread in front of the headstone of her fallen husband and talked to him. It was a tearjerker to say the least.

ted c on November 18, 2011 at 6:22 PM

===============================================

Exactly,and to honour him and family.

And,a Above/Beyond the Call of Duty in
a different form!!

canopfor on November 18, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Just want to give her a hug.

nickj116 on November 18, 2011 at 6:23 PM

letget on November 18, 2011 at 6:17 PM

what she said, over and over

DanMan on November 18, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Semper Fi, you wonderful lady.

portlandon on November 18, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I stood by the side of the road as his funeral cortege left NAS Pensacola. Hundreds of us did. His loss broke our hearts, but the grace and incredible courage his family and Madeline have shown since that dark day? Won us over completely.

We are so proud and love her so much.

Semper Fi, dearest girl. From the hometown crowd.

tree hugging sister on November 18, 2011 at 6:25 PM

What an incredible woman.

SIGH – I hope to find that kind of love some day.

gophergirl on November 18, 2011 at 6:25 PM

‘I need to finish what he started’: Fallen soldier’s fiancée to join Marine Corps the same month they were due to marry
updated at 6:42 PM on 18th November 2011
*****************************************

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2063249/I-need-finish-started-Fallen-soldiers-fianc-e-join-Marine-Corps-month-marry.html#ixzz1e6PpgAzo

canopfor on November 18, 2011 at 6:26 PM

I bet the recruiters were very surprised. That’s one tough woman.

darwin on November 18, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Is this what our country has fallen to? This is perverse. There are many ways of dealing with grief- the military should not be playing along with this.

sartana on November 18, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Fidelis.

HitNRun on November 18, 2011 at 6:28 PM

ted c on November 18, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Just reading your is enough to get me started . . .

God bless you, Madeline Cates.

listens2glenn on November 18, 2011 at 6:29 PM

ted c on November 18, 2011 at 6:22 PM

If ever afforded the opportunity to attend a service at Arlington do not miss it. We buried my brother-in-law in March 2002 and that was the most moving experiences. To see the young people that are in our military in that setting and showing so much respect gives me much assurance that we do have much to be grateful for.

I can still see my Marine brother letting it go during the ceremony.

DanMan on November 18, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Just reading your POST is enough to get me started.

Heavy sigh

listens2glenn on November 18, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Florida woman enlists in Marines to finish what her fallen fiance started
Nov 18 2011
******************

Cates hails from Pace, FL and is set to begin training at Parris Island in March which was the same month that she was supposed to be marrying Travis.

Here is a news report filed by WFLX Fox 29:(Video)

local park has been renamed in his honor and during that ceremony a family friend said of Travis that:

“If I had to describe him with a cartoon character, it would be a combination of the Tasmanian Devil and Pig Pen of Charlie Brown rolled into one,” she said as the crowd laughed with her. “He was always into something and so quick-witted and smart.”
As a Marine, Nelson was well aware of the danger he faced and he wrote the following letter to his loved ones in case something happened:

Dear friends and family,

If you are reading this, I didn’t come home. I love each and every one of you. I have no regrets; I died for a meaningful cause.
I am sure that the decision is extremely difficult for the family of Madeline and her mother, Gina Perry, expressed as much while still supporting her decision. She said:

‘[I thought] maybe it was just her reaching for some part of him that she missed so much. I so respect and honor her desire to want to honor him.”

Madeline added, “People always say, ‘Oh Travis wouldn’t want you to do this,’ but I know Travis better than everyone and I think that he’d be okay with it as long as it’s what I wanted to do.”
(More…..)
===============

canopfor on November 18, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Thank you and God bless you.

rbj on November 18, 2011 at 6:36 PM

DanMan on November 18, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Exactly.

This isn’t Arlington, but it will do.

I believe this video was posted here at Hotair two or three years ago.

listens2glenn on November 18, 2011 at 6:38 PM

It was a tearjerker to say the least.

ted c on November 18, 2011 at 6:22 PM

ted c:Amen ted,seeing that,I know,I would have a hard time,try’n
to keep it together,thanks Ted,for sharing that!:)

canopfor on November 18, 2011 at 6:38 PM

There are a lot a good reasons to join up, a lost love ain’t one of them.

borntoraisehogs on November 18, 2011 at 6:42 PM

KAATN!

Count to 10 on November 18, 2011 at 6:43 PM

From the video:

“Her(Cates), tiny and artistic…”

She can’t even manage a pull-up. For a Conservative website to laud female integration into our most elite combat force, much less for the reason put forth here is just beyond pathetic. Is Conservatism really dead?

But then again, I’ve always considered Hot Air a RINO blog.

sartana on November 18, 2011 at 7:05 PM

borntoraisehogs

I suggest you keep to your nom de pleume. This Marine honors her decision and will back her in spirit and faith. Why the hell do you think any of us Marines volunteer? It was for love. Be it country, lost ones, family… most of us did it for that. Go inoculate yourself from pseudorabies and wallow with your friends.

MNDavenotPC on November 18, 2011 at 7:06 PM

wow…

Kaptain Amerika on November 18, 2011 at 7:06 PM

What exactly is that mission again? Oh, that’s right, winning, or buying, Mohammedan “Hearts-and-Minds”. Is that the same mission as it was 10 years ago? Can anyone believe that? Will the mission 10 years from now be the same as what it is now or will Soldiers and Marines have to go a step further and actually convert to Islam? Does this new Lady Marine know that if she is sent to Afghanistan she will have to show great respect for the Koran? Does she know what that means? I wonder if she will get any lessons on proper infidel dhimmi behavior from Shafiq Mubarak an instructor hired by the Marines to train Marines for deployment.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 18, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Always faithful indeed. This woman not only understood her fiancee’s calling, she heard it herself.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on November 18, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Marines:

We don’t die we- multiply.

Theworldisnotenough on November 18, 2011 at 7:10 PM

But then again, I’ve always considered Hot Air a RINO blog.

sartana on November 18, 2011 at 7:05 PM

It took me so long to quit laughing, I forgot what I was gonna say.

Then I go back and reread it, and it begins all over again.

Never mind.

listens2glenn on November 18, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Shine a Light Down the Iraqi-Afghan Sinkhole

Then there’s a category called “Diversion of U.S. Funds” – as in diversion of funds to the enemy. No official estimate here, the commission reports; it’s anyone’s guess. While the opium trade is considered to be the primary funding for the jihadists, guess who’s next on the list?

You are. “During a March 2011 trip to Afghanistan, experts told the commission that extortion of funds from U.S construction projects and transportation contracts is the insurgents’ second-largest funding source.”

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 18, 2011 at 7:12 PM

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 18, 2011 at 7:12 PM

The points you make are very important.

I don’t know that this is the best thread to be making them on.

notropis on November 18, 2011 at 7:17 PM

The points you make are very important.

I don’t know that this is the best thread to be making them on.

notropis on November 18, 2011 at 7:17 PM

But then again, maybe it is the best thread to be making them on, and she should have talked to John Bernard before she enlisted.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 18, 2011 at 7:24 PM

She enlisted. So this is all moot. Support her and whatever mission she is on, support her. You people remind me of those who “supported” my fellow Marines and me in Nam. Thanks but no thanks.

MNDavenotPC on November 18, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I have nothing but respect for this young woman. I hope she gives ‘em hell.

My daughter deploys to Afghanistan next year. She, too, is a Marine. May God protect our troops fighting in this war, and bring them home safely to their families. Too many have already died, and America needs that kind of person to save our country’s future.

hachiban on November 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I have to admit … the tears are in my eyes. GO Girl!

Her motivation is as good as it gets.

ORrighty on November 18, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Ohhhhhhh! How sweet.

MNDavenotPC, how so?

bloggless on November 18, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Here’s another video you guys might like

Shows the strong bond between handler and his dog plus it looks like the dog had a blast.

warren on November 18, 2011 at 7:58 PM

sartana

She is an adult, you pathetic dolt, she can choose to do whatever she wants.

“Her(Cates), tiny and artistic…”

But then again, I’ve always considered Hot Air a RINO blog.

sartana

Hey DipSh*t, STFU and go away. If you consider Hot Air a RINO blog, why are you posting here???

Idiot!

Gothguy on November 18, 2011 at 8:10 PM

How so? Let’s see. We fight a war, We come home. We’re treated as oddities, as losers. I don’t get served on a plane because I wear my uniform. I go to college and am an object of observation because I’m the one who killed and have no soul. Do I go on? I don’t want that for her and will defend her right to do what she has done to the death.

MNDavenotPC on November 18, 2011 at 8:14 PM

MNDavenotPC on November 18, 2011 at 7:43 PM

The whatever “mission” more and more over the many years now is to win Mohammedan Hearts-and-Minds by kowtowing to Islam. Any further in that direction and American Soldiers and Marines in Afcrapistan will have to actually convert to Islam.

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on November 18, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Seeing people like her gives me hope for the next generation. We need a squad of her to go through the occupy camps and clean them out. … and I don’t mean housekeeping clean.

AZfederalist on November 18, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Why all of the figthing on here? Obviously we all support this woman and her decision. Does that mean we have to support this unconstitutional war? NO. I’ve been a Marine for 10 years now, fought in Iraq multiple times and am currently in Afghanistan. Do I want to be supported? Yes, of course! Does that mean I support the WAR? Not at all. Although most Americans want our troops home, that doesn’t mean they don’t support them. I like those signs and bumper stickers I sometimes see in the states that say “Support the troops, bring them home.” My sentiments exactly.

I commend this woman for what she has decided to do but that in no way makes me think this war is worth fighting and losing more Marines and other service members. Regardless of what you may think about these foreign nation building adventures, most Americans DO support the individual Marines, soldiers, sailors and airmen out here.

Semper Fi.

RightXBrigade on November 18, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Spoken like a true statist.

RightXBrigade on November 18, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Madeline Cates: True Hero.

pilamaye on November 19, 2011 at 8:52 AM

“Her(Cates), tiny and artistic…”

But then again, I’ve always considered Hot Air a RINO blog.

sartana on November 18, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Women have been in the Marine Corps since 1918 and they do a damn good job. Do you even know what the Lioness program is? C’mon. Women also don’t do pull-ups in the Marine Corps.

You’re an idiot.

blankminde on November 19, 2011 at 6:15 PM

The problem I always had with WMs (Wide-assed Marines) is that they are not held to the same standards as Marines but they do get the same pay and often faster promotion.

They were not in my unit since they were not allowed in combat units but the last year I was in I served in a hdqrs co and I was shocked, appalled and FN disgusted by them.
If they were men and performed at that level they’d get booted in a NY minute.

They should have there own rank structure and a Marine Pvt should never have to salute or render honors to someone that is not required to maintain the same standards.

It is complete and utter PC, affirmative action Buuuulshit!

esnap on November 20, 2011 at 12:05 AM