Romney: “I am not going to walk away from [Romneycare]“

posted at 6:35 pm on November 17, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Eek. I’m torn: Should I be impressed by his bold embrace of his own past mistakes and by his refusal to pretend he’s something he’s not? Or should I fear for the correctness of the thesis statement I set about trying to prove this morning — that Mitt Romney would, at least, be a reliable repealer of Obamacare?

Either way, Romney said what he said. In an interview with Neil Cavuto, Romney stood by his signature mistake. Incidentally, that Romney sat for an in-depth interview with Cavuto requires me to take back my peevish accusation that Romney “won’t sit for an actually difficult interview any day any time any network.” Cavuto strikes me as friendly, but firm and fair. And his line of questioning clearly elicited a string of meaningful quotes.

NRO’s Katrina Trinko reports:

“You have seen a lot of candidates look at their biggest vulnerability, call it a mistake, and ask for forgiveness,” Romney continued. “In my case that wouldn’t be honest.”

He affirmed that he believes the health-care program was the “right thing” for Massachusetts then, although he conceded that it hasn’t “worked perfectly.”

“If it hurts me politically, it’s a consequence of the truth,” Romney added. “I am not going to walk away from that. It’s right for states to come up with their own solutions. I doubt other people are going try and follow the one we put together. Maybe learn from our experience. Maybe come up with something better. But the wrong course is to have the federal government impose its will on the entire nation.”

That last statement is somewhat reassuring, but, to my earlier post, commenter “a capella” brought up a good point. Romney has said he would issue an executive order to delay the implementation of Obamacare in the 50 states — “a waiver,” he always says — but he hasn’t detailed his plan for full repeal. How much pressure would he place on the new Congress (which will have to be in the hands of the GOP to make any of this relevant anyway!) to ensure that repeal would be the first legislative priority they’d tackle?

Time to build pressure for that. No way we’ll give him the nomination unless he acknowledges that the only way to eliminate Obamacare once and for all is to ensure that Congress passes a repeal bill and the president signs it. Even now, when jobs and the economy so dominate the storyline, he needs to outline clearly that he’ll work with Congress to ensure a repeal bill is the first he’ll sign into law as president. Newsflash for all the candidates (and especially Obama!): A repeal bill might just be the best jobs bill around.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

He’s being honest, explaining his thinking. What’s so evil about telling people they can’t rely on free health care by going to Emergency Rooms and let everybody else pay the tab? Free riders are a national problem. No hospital should have to go broke treating people who can’t pay for it.

But you’ll also note that he is not proposing it for the whole nation. His position is and has been throughout this campaign that Obamacare needs to be repealed and that health care is an issue to be dealt with by the states. Paul Ryan likes his plan for dealing with entitlements.

Ixnay on the INORay!

flataffect on November 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM

If the Congress doesn’t do that on its own, I’ll be surprised. However, Romney has promised to follow up the waiver within days with a bill to repeal Obamacare.

flataffect on November 18, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Wow, the frontrunner has no shame that’s he’s really an Obamalite!

Yikes!

TheAlamos on November 18, 2011 at 1:38 PM

“If it hurts me politically, it’s a consequence of the truth,” Romney added. “I am not going to walk away from that. It’s right for states to come up with their own solutions. I doubt other people are going try and follow the one we put together. Maybe learn from our experience. Maybe come up with something better. But the wrong course is to have the federal government impose its will on the entire nation.”

You know, that comment makes me respect Romney. I still think it was a mistake, but I like that he defends by what he was trying to do instead of trying to take the easy way out. And the federalist argument at the core of his response – the idea that the states, NOT the federal government – should be the main actors in most things (including healthcare) is correct.

In addition, he may well be correct in saying that this was the best thing for Massachusetts at the time. Remember, Massachusetts had (and still has) a heavily left-wing population and a VERY left-wing legislature dominated by Democrats. So perhaps this was the best that he could come up with. Can some of our Massachusetts residents chime in? I don’t have enough expertise on that state to say one way or the other. Maybe this really was the best deal he could get at that time in those circumstances and it prevented some much worse Democrat folly from being perpetrated on the citizens of Massachusetts. Politics is definitely a game of give and take. If so, then he is right not to try to bury it and claim ‘Oh, I messed up.’

Either way, this shows that he has some intestinal fortitude and might be a worthier standard-bearer than perhaps we have heretofore given him credit for. And his answer is honorable and seemingly sincere. Yes, he has a well-deserved reputation as a flip-flopper so I have to take this with some misgivings but this answer does show that perhaps he would be better than maybe we give him credit for. But as the lovely and talented Miss Korbe writes,

She’s absolutely right. Romney absolutely has to come out plainer in favor of repealing the Obamacare abomination. Soon.

StoneHeads on November 18, 2011 at 1:58 PM

this made me belly laugh

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on November 18, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Haha…I got a chuckle out of it also.

csdeven on November 18, 2011 at 2:36 PM

StoneHeads on November 18, 2011 at 1:58 PM

He already has. Dozens of times.

csdeven on November 18, 2011 at 2:39 PM

AND we are STILL WAITING for Tina to fix it.

csdeven on November 18, 2011 at 2:43 PM

And when Obama hands Mitt his a$$ with his class warfare attack ads of all the people who lost their jobs when Romney’s Bain Capital took over their company, we’ll hold you MittBorg’s responsible for another “electable” loser.

cartooner on November 18, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I’m not fully giving support to Romney. My point is and has always been, if we don’t rally behind whoever the nominee is we guarantee another four years of Obama.

Now, if that’s what you really want, then you and anybody else throwing temper tantrums over this process is going to get exactly what they want.

Pcoop on November 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Maybe if we can get Mitt to put on Cowboy boots, and talk with marbles in his mouth we can get Tina to represent him honestly.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on November 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM

I will not vote for him in either the primary or general election!

ConservativePartyNow on November 18, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Got a better idea then. Just vote for Obama then. Cut out the middle man.

Pcoop on November 18, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Our country is dying for a lack of JOBS and the one person that is an EXPERT at turning around companies/economies is the person that people complain about…”Oh, if he is the nominee I’m staying home…waaaaa”

g2825m on November 18, 2011 at 12:30 PM

He’s an expert in turning around economies? Who knew. I have repeated many times. I will again. Yes, his position in the primary appear conservative. We have a lifetime of his actions and statements to judge from.

And again, the many of you arguing about how he went for Obamacare b/c of federalism or b/c otherwise the bill would have been worse or that the bill wasn’t so bad but they over-rode his line-item veto. Hogwash. He signed a huge gov’t bill. Something that is anathema to conservative thought. He signed it and pushed it and still supports it. How is that not bad? “Federalism”? Why doesn’t that apply to every single thing a governor does? We now can’t look at a governor’s record b/c of “federalism”?

Idiotic. He surrounds himself with squishes, he did not appoint conservative to his cabinet or the bench when governor. He ran for governor as a NE liberal republican and ran for senate before that as a NE liberal republican. But now he is conservative? He has never led or fought for a single conservative issue. But he certainly led on a liberal one – Romneycare, which turned into Obamacare.

but b/c he is mouthing the right words now we are supposed to support him?

Romney has demonstrated over his life that he is not a conservative. Yes, again, I will admit that he is pretending to be a conservative in the primary and has put out conservative policy positions.

I don’t believe he will act on any of them.

Monkeytoe on November 18, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Pcoop on November 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Why is it that those of us that don’t support Mitt are “throwing temper tantrums” and while those of you who do support Mitt and are berating us that we HAVE TO SUPPORT MITT are not throwing temper tantrums b/c we don’t agree with you?

Monkeytoe on November 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM

You are simply delusional! ROMNEY FREAKIN’ CUT TAXES in MA! He is against amnesty and what people has he helped the last four years you ask?

Good lord. Yes – NOW he says he is against illegal immigration. Not always.

And yes, he lent support to candidates – every politician, regardless of ideology, does that for their party brethren – particularly when trying to gin up support for a presidential run. It proves nothing.

What Romney has NEVER DONE is fight for a conservative principal. He has been running for president for the last 5 years and yet was invisible in all of the fights of the last 3 years with Obama and the left.

And that’s the guy you are telling me is a real conservative who is going to do conservative things?

I never said he did not do some conservative (or rather, right of center) things while governor of MA. I’m looking at his record as a whole over the last 20 years and it ain’t pretty from a conservative point of view.

I never said he would do nothing right-of-center as president. I said that he would not fight for any conservative things. I simply do not believe, for one second, that he will fight to repeal obamacare, or do anything about illegal immigration, or reform entitlements, or undo the regulation of the last 4 years, or anything else.

Do I think he’ll pass liberal stuff? It depends on who controls congress. Like in MA, if the dems control congress, he’ll “make deals” to “get things done” a la Romneycare. that is his history, his modus operandi.

Those are the facts. You can believe his re-invention of himself in the last 3 years to take on further right positions in order to win the primary. I don’t believe it. He’ll drop most of those positions once he has the primary sewn up. B/c he is not wedded to those positions either intellectually or philosophically. They are positions of convenience for him.

Would he be a better president than Obama? Yes. Definitely.

but, what would the long term effects of a Romney presidency be? My belief is that it would cement Obamacare as the law of the land, among other things. B/c I don’t believe he’ll do anything to repeal it and big things like that don’t get done without a president leading them. Congress is not going to act without presidential political capital and leadership and Romney is never going to do it. So, the long-term effects of a Romney presidency might be worse than 4 more years of Obama. I haven’t decided yet, but the dishonesty of pretending Romney is a rock-solid conservative is not persuading me.

Monkeytoe on November 18, 2011 at 3:28 PM

it looks like we’ll end up with 4 more years of Obama and a socialized health care system strapped around our throats. Thanks- Obama couldn’t have won without your help

c.j.ammenheuser on November 18, 2011 at 9:17 AM

^^^^^

Ed, I think the HA software is messing up. I could have sworn I saw this post in 2008 from McCain supporters.

mankai on November 18, 2011 at 9:23 AM

I loathed McCain, but voted for him because it was totally INSANE to allow Obama to win. (Just like NOW)

I would have loved to do a write in if it could have worked but it wouldn’t have worked and still will not.

scotash on November 18, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Don’t be too smart by half, Tina. Go with your gut. Willard Milton Romney is a skeeze-supreme.

gryphon202 on November 17, 2011 at 6:39 PM

You’re way too kind.

There Goes The Neighborhood on November 18, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Enough of the Romney bashing already. The guy was governor of Massachusetts, not Wyoming or Nebraska. They would have tried to pass single payer healthcare if not for Romney at least keeping it private based.

therightwinger on November 17, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Right. Because he had no choice but to run for governor of Massachusetts.

Quit making excuses. Romney chose to run for governor, and chose to distance himself from Reagan and conservatives, and chose to push government healthcare. No one was holding a gun to his head.

There Goes The Neighborhood on November 19, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Romney: “I am not going to walk away from [Romneycare]“

posted at 6:35 pm on November 17, 2011 by Tina Korbe

The writing was always on the wall.

steebo77 on February 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM

You are simply delusional! ROMNEY FREAKIN’ CUT TAXES in MA!

g2825m on November 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Which taxes did he cut? All he did was create refundable tax credits for the poor (actually a drain on the budget) and established a sales tax holiday for one weekend in August. Whoop-dee-doo!

He also raised “fees” on businesses and individuals to the tune of $500 million a year.

What a conservative, free-market, capitalist!

steebo77 on February 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM