Video: Surprisingly, new movie about Margaret Thatcher doesn’t look half bad

posted at 6:45 pm on November 16, 2011 by Allahpundit

I know her associates are keeping a healthy distance but there’s promise here, even though Streep does still seem a bit hammier than she should. The teaser trailer that came out this summer was disappointing, focusing as it did on Thatcher’s Pygmalion-like makeover into a Woman of Power. This full trailer starts out the same way, horribly — to the jaunty tune of “Our House,” no less — but by the second half it settles into what looks like a reasonably respectful biopic. The big worry is how they’ll handle the scenes of her suffering from dementia. There’s a tasteful way to do that, but if “Our House” is in the mix as mood music, who knows.

Comments

Giants, then and now.

rob verdi on November 16, 2011 at 6:47 PM

“The big worry is how they’ll handle the scenes of her suffering from dementia.”

I would think the bigger worry would be…

… if lorien would ‘hit’ it.

Seven Percent Solution on November 16, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Nope.

sharrukin on November 16, 2011 at 6:50 PM

A Margret Thatcher impression, is still stronger than any Prime Minister in the last 20 years.

portlandon on November 16, 2011 at 6:51 PM

It stretches the limits of my credulity to imagine that this isn’t going to be a liberal hatchet job of Mrs. Thatcher.

cynccook on November 16, 2011 at 6:52 PM

They even had a Reagan in that clip.

Nice.

portlandon on November 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Lady Thatcher is a woman of great character and courage. Even a bad movie could not diminish her accomplishments.

mchristian on November 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I was hoping the movie would be better than first thought. I’ll probably go see it.

I just saw The Ides of March today. It was actually pretty interesting if you can let the cheap shots at Republicans slide.

Fallon on November 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I think it looks respectful and Meryl Streep looks like she gives an outstanding performance. If you want God-awful, wait until the end of the clip and click the preview of “Mirror Mirror” with the execrable lib Julia Roberts.

Marcus on November 16, 2011 at 6:56 PM

They will try to show her as a Bachmann style caricature. Overacting, hammy with a dash of ‘a tad stupid‘ mixed with willful belligerence.

sharrukin on November 16, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Meryl Streep is a cokesucker. But she can act.

carbon_footprint on November 16, 2011 at 7:02 PM

The big worry is how they’ll handle the scenes of her suffering from dementia.

And would they show such dirt under the fingernails of JFK, LBJ, or WJC. I doubt it.

Paul-Cincy on November 16, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Which 2012 release do you think will do better at the box office–this or the Three Stooges movie?

radjah shelduck on November 16, 2011 at 7:02 PM

“The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people’s money.” -Margaret Thatcher

RedRobin145 on November 16, 2011 at 7:03 PM

If the movie treats her honestly and fairly, I predict it will go blockbuster. And, hopefully, it will remind the primary electorate of what we need in a leader, here and now.

TXUS on November 16, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Will they allow for the possibility she was right all along? I seriously doubt it.

Paul-Cincy on November 16, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Well…they rarely use the original score in promo trailers. It’s almost always licensed stuff just for the promo. Additionally, the creative minds behind the trailers are rarely the same people involved in the movie. It’s the marketing departments that do the trailers.

My guess is that “Our House” is not in the film.

hisfrogness on November 16, 2011 at 7:08 PM

If only they could edit in the Iron Lady, the other day, giving the poignant “up yours” gesture to that petulant Lord Backwater or what’s-his-face.

viking01 on November 16, 2011 at 7:09 PM

How can you say unless you have seen the entire film?

Blake on November 16, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Streep does still seem a bit hammier than she should

I’ve always thought that Streep was doing just one too many pieces of business – one too many quick smiles, or head cock, or gesture. Kind of a “Look, I’m aaaacting!”

eeyore on November 16, 2011 at 7:16 PM

The 80′s – The most Awesomely Awesome Decade of all time. Reagan, Thatcher, John Paul II – All Giants of the West. I am so glad that I lived during that decade.

Lou Budvis on November 16, 2011 at 7:18 PM

How can you say unless you have seen the entire film?
Blake on November 16, 2011 at 7:13 PM

I’d read somewhere recently that it’s a hatchet job along the lines of the Streisand-Brolin Reagan movie.

whatcat on November 16, 2011 at 7:21 PM

There’s got to be a smear somewhere in the film because they just can’t help themselves.

tru2tx on November 16, 2011 at 7:28 PM

‘If you insist on standing in the middle of the road, you risk getting run over by both sides.’
-Margaret Thatcher.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 16, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Trailers are designed to get the largest audience possible.
The largest potential audience is from Thatcher’s conservative fan base.

The trailer is made as benign as possible to lure them in.

I have no doubt that the left wing film/Hollywood hive couldn’t help themselves from doing a number on Lady Thatcher.

Bet on it.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on November 16, 2011 at 7:30 PM

“She was always open to persuasion, but only by argument and facts properly marshalled and presented, and she could be hard – perhaps at times unfairly so – on colleagues who failed her standards,” he wrote. “However, she was never, in my experience, the half-hysterical, over-emotional, over-acting woman portrayed by Meryl Streep.”

sharrukin on November 16, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Lou Budvis on November 16, 2011 at 7:18 PM

The decade when it was “hip to be square.” I rather miss it myself.

manwithblackhat on November 16, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Lou Budvis on November 16, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I had just turned 10 when RR was elected-and I had just turned 18 when I helped elect his successor.
Awesome time.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 16, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Ain’t gonna happen.

erp on November 16, 2011 at 7:34 PM

We have a game in our family, kind of like “slug Bug”.

Whenever you see Meryl Streep, you say “Dingo ate my baby!”

portlandon on November 16, 2011 at 7:37 PM

It sounds like it will be a typical liberal hatchet job to me:

Friends of Margaret Thatcher last night expressed their revulsion at a new film that shows her having nightmares about the miners’ strike and the Falklands War, while her late husband Denis appears as a ghost in a pink turban raging at her -‘insufferable’ selfishness.

It sounds horrible!

Dawnsblood on November 16, 2011 at 7:37 PM

the trailer is great. alas: the script is as bad as the brolin reagan movie.

reliapundit on November 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Streep does still seem a bit hammier than she should.

…like pass the cheese, mayo & mustard hammy.

The Ugly American on November 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Kind of a “Look, I’m aaaacting!”

eeyore on November 16, 2011 at 7:16 PM

That sh*t drives me crazy.

And she’s one of the worst culprits.

The Ugly American on November 16, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Awesome time.
annoyinglittletwerp on November 16, 2011 at 7:31 PM

My lawd, you are a young un!

whatcat on November 16, 2011 at 7:47 PM

If the film ends up showing Lady Thatcher in a favorable light it won’t have been intentional.

Knott Buyinit on November 16, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Wow. I love Streep. I think she’s incredible.

bridgetown on November 16, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Streep is a great actress. She has that Germanic strength combined with reticence personality down pat.

I am looking forward to seeing the Thatcher life story. She was another pawn in the game of the powers that be who inserted her in a time of expected failure to be their scapegoat. But she had the intelligence and the guts to fight through those negative expectations and do some really great things for a time until the powers that be could get rid of her.

Similar historical events have happened in the careers of Bill Halsey, Harry Truman, and recently Herman Cain.

jimw on November 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM

the trailer is great. alas: the script is as bad as the brolin reagan movie.
reliapundit on November 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM

You’ve probably seen all of the decent parts in their entirety in this trailer.

whatcat on November 16, 2011 at 9:48 PM

jimw on November 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Herman Cain is a joke. He’s not qualified to be mention in the same breath as the Iron Lady.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 16, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Wow. I love Streep. I think she’s incredible.

bridgetown on November 16, 2011 at 8:43 PM

She makes my milk curdle. I won’t watch her in anything.

Extrafishy on November 17, 2011 at 5:22 AM

The actors have little input into a movie, they just read what they are given by the writer and director. Those are the opinions that matter, not Meryl Streeps’.

As for the writer and director of this one, the only movie they have produced that I’ve seen was the slimy Mama Mia, which I couldn’t watch.

Johnny 100 Pesos on November 17, 2011 at 5:53 AM

For some reason, I’m just not sitting here waiting for Hollywood trash to “entertain” me about someone’s life.

MNHawk on November 17, 2011 at 7:16 AM

I read a review from one of the London papers yesterday. It stated that the film, though perhaps not intentionally, showed Thatcher’s predictions re: Europe and the economy and they seemed prophetic.
We all know that quote.

humdinger on November 17, 2011 at 9:28 AM

cynccook on November 16, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a “liberal hatchet job”. Meryl Streep seems almost hysterically self-obsessed in the trailer, while the real Margaret Thatcher was calm, confident, and professional, always remembering her humble beginnings as a grocer’s daughter.

It would be interesting to know what Thatcher’s advisors who are still alive would think of this film–they would probably NOT be amused…

Steve Z on November 17, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Hollywood does surprise me with biopics. (See John Adams mini-series. I hope they do again.

I would love to be a fly on the wall with their conversations at Camp David.

closetgop on November 17, 2011 at 11:06 AM