Joe Scarborough: I totally called that Cain would be an embarrassment

posted at 3:05 pm on November 15, 2011 by Tina Korbe

Joe Scarborough is growing increasingly frustrated. What he predicts nearly always comes to pass, he says, but, when he’s saying it, nobody believes it — and he’s tired of it. He’s been calling Herman Cain out as a weak candidate for weeks — but it’s only now, after Cain failed to answer a predictable question about the U.S.’ involvement in Libya and an even more predictable question about his position on collective bargaining for public employees, that conservatives grant Scarborough any credence for his position. This morning on “Morning Joe,” Scarborough vented his exasperation in no uncertain terms:

“The thing is, when I started criticizing Herman Cain early on, of course all the right-wingers started attacking me,” Scarborough said, citing defenders of Cain among conservative bloggers and commentators. …

“You know, I was embarrassed about this weeks ago,” he continued. “I was embarrassed that Herman Cain was the standard bearer for the Republican Party. That man that can’t answer a basic question about foreign policy is the standard bearer for my party and that embarrasses me. That didn’t embarrass a lot of people a couple of weeks ago when they should have been embarrassed. Guess what, I think they are embarrassed now.” …

“Mika, I don’t mean to underline this, but you have been sitting here for four years as I have said things about Republicans and then I have been bashed by the far right for telling the truth about weak Republican candidates and then what I say happens,” he said. “And I hate to say, ‘Look, look,’ but this happens too much — so much that I’m just getting really tired of it. Four years later my conservative credentials being questioned because I tell the truth about somebody before the rest of the world tells the truth about somebody.”

Here’s what is important to note about this: We have the entire primary season for this very reason — to see the candidates in their entirety, not just under the lights of the debate stage, not just in the midst of their own campaign events, not just at the seat of the editorial board. No sense in growing upset when someone doesn’t see what you saw right away: Some other situation will reveal it again. Until the GOP selects its nominee — and even after that — the discussion will continue, with constant accusations of RINO thrown. But, at some point, it softens the whole experience to start to trust fellow conservatives, to begin from the assumption that everybody wants what’s best for the country and is seeking the candidate who will fight for that.

Everybody wants to have a candidate. It makes the race more fun to follow, just as a football game is generally more fun to watch when your favorite team is playing. But, in seeking a candidate, we have to be careful not to ignore the weaknesses of those we like and equally careful not to magnify the weaknesses of the other candidates. Best to just let the primary play out. Excited Newt Gingrich is now at the top? Despondent that Herman Cain has stumbled? Wishing Rick Perry or Michele Bachmann would pick back up? Agreeing with Glenn Beck that Rick Santorum is another George Washington when what we need is Abe Lincoln? Never forget the wise man’s motto: This too shall pass away. Better not live and die by this stuff because next week it’ll all be different anyway.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Like that was a hard call to make.

Mark1971 on November 15, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I can do that too. Ron Paul will not be the Republican candidate. Just you watch.

Also, Stu Huntsman won’t be the candidate. Why will no one believe me?!?!?!

Darksean on November 15, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Is it just me or does Scarborough have an enormous head?

Robert_Paulson on November 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I have to keep this in mind.

kerrhome on November 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM

what complete media-contrived horseshit.

rayra on November 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I think Joe should switch careers, and take up community organizing. That way, when he says things the crowd agrees with, he can get the adulation and recognition he seeks…immediately.

Preach it, brutha Joe!

BobMbx on November 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Like that was a hard call to make.

Mark1971 on November 15, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Exactly, but it’s frustrating that people fell for it.

Cain flopped a long time ago… during the summer. He shoulda/coulda/woulda won the Iowa Straw Poll if he had not have said some stupid things beforehand.

ninjapirate on November 15, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Save us oh wise sage.

portlandon on November 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Who…?

Seven Percent Solution on November 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Whoopee. What conservative icon doesn’t Scarborough dismiss in his usual hamfisted manner?

MadisonConservative on November 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Is it just me or does Scarborough have an enormous head?

Robert_Paulson on November 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Nope! That’s just an enormous wart growing on the back of his neck.

belad on November 15, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Joe Scarborough: “Dammit if I didn’t see that that sky was blue! I totally called it … and the Herman Cain folks said ‘No, Joe – the sky is green and you are a racist if you say otherwise’ … dammit if I wasn’t right … sky’s blue!”

HondaV65 on November 15, 2011 at 3:14 PM

By the way…that picture is creepy.

MadisonConservative on November 15, 2011 at 3:14 PM

MadisonConservative on November 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Huntsman. ;-)

Morning Joke love them some Huntsman.

SlimyBill on November 15, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Joe, a lot of us out here knew before Obama was elected what a dismal president he would be, but you’re still not seeing that even 3 years later. And how can Joe sit there and claim to be a conservative with a straight face?

silvernana on November 15, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I don’t care if Joe is, or thinks he is, right or wrong on any issue. The way he shouts it out and piles on is just like any other progressive on that network. His little rants in the first part of the six o’clock hour ae done solely to get him his hopefully viral video moment–and to be repeated in the 8am hour.

It’s more like Scarborough wants to change his show from ‘Morning Joe’ to ‘Primetime Joe’. His little nasty rants do not go well with coffee and oatmeal.

MaggiePoo on November 15, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Did I miss something? Herman Cain got the nomination?

Or is Joe just bragging because he was ahead of the polls by a few weeks.

forest on November 15, 2011 at 3:16 PM

A modern day Cassandra? Poor Joe, it must be hard being so brilliant and yet not have it recognized.

Cain is the result of a desperate electorate trying to find a way out of the trap that lies in wait. They know Romney is the default and are thus willing to dress up the local clowns (Perry/Cain) and pretend they are viable candidates. Its a little much to ask them to concede the 2012 election before the first state has made a choice.

sharrukin on November 15, 2011 at 3:18 PM

ninjapirate on November 15, 2011 at 3:11 PM

To be fair to Cain – he wasn’t supposed to even get this far and he never thought he had a shot at it until recently. Proof of that is his lack of organization and complete failure to study up properly on foreign affairs – and a lot of other things.

His campaign was pretty much what you’d expect from a “Tony Robinson” motivational speaker type guy … a lot of energy, a lot of gimmicks, but not much substance at the end of the day.

I think he thought he’d sell a bunch of books and be home before Iowa … I really don’t think he ever got in this race to win it.

HondaV65 on November 15, 2011 at 3:18 PM

If Ron Paul rises enough to be a threat to the Dems, those 1990′s editions of The Ron Paul Newsletter will surface again in which blacks, gays, and Hispanics are discussed in terms intolerable by today’s P.C. standards. Remember when that came up in 2008, and what Paul’s response was? He said he didn’t write those editions — he was out of politics and in private practice. Ohhhhhkay, so you didn’t read them, Ron. What about the fact that they are The Ron Paul Newsletter and presumably represent your views? He then said that he didn’t even READ his own newsletter!

Don’t believe me? Believe this.

L.N. Smithee on November 15, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Hey, is Joe more relevant now that he works for Fox News?

belad on November 15, 2011 at 3:19 PM

My problem with Scarborough isnt his analysis, its the total utter glee he takes in going after conservatives. What he does is preface every point with ” I was the most conservative guy in congress” to establish “street cred” to go after conservative candidates in the most sophomoric way. Mika perpetually has the fake look of “concern” about our candidates while Scarborough gleefully eviscerates every one of them. Now he says on his show that Huntsman is the “real” conservative choice. Hes just jumped the shark, hes more concerned with laughing with his liberal friends during the round table then actually saying things constructively. When you take greater joy attacking Republicans then Democrats, which he does, sorry you dont speak for the cause anymore buddy. When you justify every democratic problem with “well Republicans do it too” and then personally attack your own party, well we dont need to listen to you anymore. Have fun in MSNBC Siberia.

nswider on November 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM

rayra on November 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Cain’s gaffes and refusal to fire Mark Block aren’t ‘media contrived’-rather THOSE issues are of his OWN making.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Me thinks that ol’ Joe just might be a racist.

Opposite Day on November 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Joe’s smarter than Mika. That’s something.

Akzed on November 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Poor Joe, he doesn’t get any respect from conservatives. and he never will either.

exceller on November 15, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Is it just me or does Scarborough have an enormous head?

Robert_Paulson

That happens when you join Congress.

Dr. Dog on November 15, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Ohhhhhkay, so you didn’t write read them, Ron.

L.N. Smithee on November 15, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Joe’s smarter than Mika. That’s something.

Akzed on November 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM

That’s like saying Obama being smarter than Biden is something.

Though…frankly…I’m not even positive which of the pair is the bigger ignoramus.

MadisonConservative on November 15, 2011 at 3:24 PM

It would be cool if he started calling football games so they wouldn’t have to actually play them.

John the Libertarian on November 15, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I once like Joe a lot. But he’s just a little too rich for my blood meaning his content and its delivery is very esoteric. This is like having the Night Before Christmas being recited by an atheist. Nothing wrong with tit just an obvious uncomfortable imbalance with Scarborough.

Tangerinesong on November 15, 2011 at 3:26 PM

nswider on November 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM

When you add in his dimwitted sidekick, who only has a job due to her dad and a bottle of peroxide, it’s live-action unfunny version of “Beavis And Butthead Do The Morning News”.

whatcat on November 15, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Want our respect, Joe?

Quit MSNBC.

Otherwise, shut up, sellout.

dforston on November 15, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Joe’s smarter than Mika. That’s something.

Akzed on November 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Hell, Meghan McCain is smarter than Mika. On seconr thought, let me think that one over.

bw222 on November 15, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I feel your pain Joe! I’ve been against Cain from the first minute he showed his face, and especially when he opened his mouth. Opportunist spilled out all over, as he continued to butcher the english language.

Goodbye Hermie. Nice try, but in the future, stay away from politics (oh, and anything to do with the world we live in)…

stacman on November 15, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Morning Joe has become the center for collective condescension against conservatives. The smug arrogance of the hosts and regulars has become unbearable. I used to enjoy the show, but now I am guessing it is what a New York cocktail party must be like.

MississippiMom on November 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Just an aside. Is Joltin’ Joe into necrophelia? I mean, in every pic posted of him and that scrunt he works with — Mika Brzezinski — it looks like she’s dead.

Hell, even when I tune them in live (for the three minutes I can tolerate), she barely fogs a mirror.

The War Planner on November 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM

HondaV65 on November 15, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I agree. He was probably the most surprised person in the U.S. when he took off in the polls. People forgave him when he couldn’t hit the three pointer, but, continually missing the layups did him in. I don’t think the harrassment business hurt him nearly as much as
the great big hiccups.

a capella on November 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Prophetic. Prophylactic

Fixed. As in, someone needs to put one over Joe Scarborough’s blathering, bulbous head.

UltimateBob on November 15, 2011 at 3:31 PM

whatcat on November 15, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Yes, they both pretentiously drone on about “no labels” and “elevating the discourse” and lets “have a conversation.” But they dont,its the same liberal hacks every morning, the same schtick of Mika is really the smart one and they Joe is the lovable oaf who gets applause every time he “tells the truth” about his party. Every time he bashes Conservatives the beaming smiling and nodding from Mika is just gross.

nswider on November 15, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Morning Joke love them some Huntsman.

SlimyBill on November 15, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Well, that’s who Obama really fears running against, remember?

John Deaux on November 15, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Is it just me or does Scarborough have an enormous head?

Robert_Paulson on November 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Well, not compared to OJ Simpson…

JohnGalt23 on November 15, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Also… Huntsman won’t be the candidate. Why will no one believe me?!?!?!

Darksean on November 15, 2011 at 3:09 PM

We’ll see. :-) We can still have hope.

Abby Adams on November 15, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Maddening, to say the least, is that there’s no way to PROVE that Mika Brzezinski sold out to assure her brother, Mark, would be named ambassador to Sweden for Obama. But a while back remember she said she’s decided to back ‘our’ president 100% and though she’s always supported Obama, the tenor of her support changed. There had been times on certain issues, that she thought he could have done better or at least quietly nodded agreement with Joe. Not anymore.

Poor dear. It must be so difficult being a journalist when your blackberry is being tweeted by the White House whenever the ‘wrong’ thing comes out of your mouth. Whaddya do? Whaddya do?

Give in.

Sigh.

MaggiePoo on November 15, 2011 at 3:33 PM

What a pity that some of us still think we should be able to review the candidates and pick who we support without the instructio & approval of self-appointed AHs like Joe S.

katiejane on November 15, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I am so flipping awesome and I tell you people I am. Why ain’t da ladies lining up to make me sammiches? WTF?!?

NotCoach on November 15, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I think guys who jump into presidential races without serious forethought and preparation are displaying a fundamental contempt for American politics, and they know who they are.

Seth Halpern on November 15, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Remember when he would show up with bed hair and a jogging jacket over a t shirt and munch on a cheese Danish when someone was talking? Someone at MessNBC slapped him upside da head good and now it’s obvious as has been pointed out, it’s LOUDNESS and saying hopefully viral things Drudge may highlight , or Hot Air may, for attention.

Marcus on November 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM

If only Joe could be as intelligent and eloquent as Hannity.

Pablo Honey on November 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I have said things about Republicans and then I have been bashed by the far right for telling the truth about weak Republican candidates… Four years later my conservative credentials being questioned because I tell the truth about somebody before the rest of the world tells the truth about somebody.”

Yeah, for the life of me, I can’t see how anybody could question your conservative cred./

cartooner on November 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Did he predict the NY-09 result?
Did he predict the WI recall results?
Did he predict the size of the 2010 tsunami?

No. No. No.

But he predicted a guy who has never held office will stumble and fumble as he runs for president. WOW!! Shall we call him Nostradamus 2?

angryed on November 15, 2011 at 3:38 PM

whatcat on November 15, 2011 at 3:26 PM

nswider on November 15, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Yeah, hardly “above the fray discourse”, they’re some of the nastiest people on TV. And it’s a shame, since I prefer the format itself over that of the insipid F&F morning show.

whatcat on November 15, 2011 at 3:39 PM

MississippiMom on November 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM

I concur. 100%

MaggiePoo on November 15, 2011 at 3:39 PM

If only Joe could be as intelligent and eloquent as Hannity.

Pablo Honey on November 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM

You drop an awful lot of deuces. You should get that looked at.

NotCoach on November 15, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Did he predict the NY-09 result?
Did he predict the WI recall results?
Did he predict the size of the 2010 tsunami?

No. No. No.

angryed on November 15, 2011 at 3:38 PM

He predicts the winning lotto number, I’ll be impressed.

whatcat on November 15, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Joe Scarborough: Prophylactic.

andycanuck on November 15, 2011 at 3:43 PM

whatcat on November 15, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Yes! Thats whats maddening, the format is great, Fox and Friends is unwatchable frankly.

nswider on November 15, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Is it just me or does Scarborough have an enormous head?

Robert_Paulson on November 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM

He looks like he was drawn by one of the cartoonists at MAD Magazine.

UltimateBob on November 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM

And he’s the SAME ScrewYourBorough who had the Berkley Global Warming professor on just YESTERDAY to tell us all how the skeptics should be listened to politely, but how he’d proved their data WRONG ANYWAY, and we’re all merrily burning to death because of carbon dioxide.

STFU, Joeber.

tree hugging sister on November 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I don’t think it ever crossed Cain’s mind to show “contempt for American politics” but just a sincere desire to help the country out. There’s oodles of “contempt for American politics” and it’s hard not to know the reason why. There is also unrivaled contempt for media pundits in the main stream media trying to tell whom we should vote for – as MSNBC swoons every time Huntsman name is mentioned – including blowhard Joe. No thanks, Joe – I’ll make up my own mind!

Bob in VA on November 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Joe, who???

tomshup on November 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM

tree hugging sister on November 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Yes! And if I have to sit through another interview with Jeffery Sachs and his stupid charts or another interview with Mikas dad about foreign policy (because clearly after the many foreign policy successes of the Carter administration hes the most qualified, right?) Im going to throw something at the television in the gym. Its unreal.

nswider on November 15, 2011 at 3:48 PM

How many A’s in Asshole? I have trouble remembering every time I see this dunce.

inspectorudy on November 15, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Joe is probably melting down because he understands a republican in the WH means no more oval office entrée, no cute little emails from Valerie Jarrette, no BBQ invites, no ratings . . .

IKIDYOUNOT on November 15, 2011 at 3:51 PM

meh, Michele Malkin said the same thing about all of the candidates and on more than one occasion…

DanMan on November 15, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Agreed. I’m still hoping to see Perry make a comeback, but look, folks, it’s never a good idea to fall in love with a politician.

I like Perry because of his record, and I’m willing to overlook his poor debate skills, but I’ll be happy to vote for anyone who will repeal Obamacare.

Everything else is lower priority in comparison.

Caiwyn on November 15, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Prophetic…

20/20 Hindsight is always Prophetic, isn’t it?

Truth is that any given pundit was calling any given GOP candidate weak for one reason or the other for longer than Scarborough was.

But, then, Cain still has a strong support base for his political policies even though people have shied away due to the character assassination.

Lawrence on November 15, 2011 at 3:54 PM

This man should be embarrassed by his own self-righteousness, not because of Herman Cain. Guess he can’t figure that one out though.

lynncgb on November 15, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Joe, stop pretending you are a Republican. THAT’S embarrassing.

katy the mean old lady on November 15, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I haven’t watched the show for 2-3 years. But holy cow, what happened to Mika? She used to be HAWT. Today she looks atrocious.

angryed on November 15, 2011 at 3:56 PM

You drop an awful lot of deuces. You should get that looked at.

I thought hawkdriver was my only HotAir thread stalker.

Welcome to the club.

Pablo Honey on November 15, 2011 at 3:56 PM

What a complete toolbox.

jnelchef on November 15, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Scarborough just wants an excuse to say “right wingers” attacked him, his whole schtick on MSDNC is to be the Republican that speaks truthiness to Republicans ala David Frum and Megan McCain. Really don’t understand why this site or any other conservative site pays any attention to him.

clearbluesky on November 15, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Everything else is lower priority in comparison.
Caiwyn on November 15, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I understand. That isn’t our biggest problem right now, though, our biggest issue is letting the Dems frame the issues and the debates.

GOP will never win an election by letting the Dems frame the issues and then debate the Dem’s issues.

GOP needs to take control of the issues, and the debates, and debate the GOP’s issues.

Until this happens, nobody will hear anything but the Dem’s side of the argument. In this, the GOP always comes out looking bad.

If the GOP would frame the debate, and drive the debate, the Dem’s wouldn’t look so good anymore.

Lawrence on November 15, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Lawrence on November 15, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I’m still hangin’ with Herman.

katy the mean old lady on November 15, 2011 at 3:58 PM

If this buffoon is so special, why is he on the lowest rated channel?

platypus on November 15, 2011 at 3:59 PM

As much as the base wants it to be so, the Republican Party is not the Conservative Party. It includes people like Scarborough, Rove, Kristol, Noonan, etc., so-called traitors to the “cause” who the far right loves to hate. RINOs like Romney, Huntsman, Scott Brown, Castle, Christie, etc.–heck, everybody’s being derided as a RINO at HA these days, even Krauthammer.

The Republicans want to get rid of Obama, and at the moment, a majority of independents are all about helping them do it. OTOH, the “True Conservatives” only want to make a principled statement by nominating someone as far to the right as they can possibly get, regardless of that person’s electability.

The base really needs to form its own party, because most Republicans aren’t interested in rightwinging themselves into irrelevancy by supporting unqualified, and occasionally downright laughable, types like Cain and Palin. In fact, the base is so steeped in ABR hate, even the truly out-there Ron Paul is getting some traction.

Jim DeMint, no RINO he, is on the radio now saying “we HAVE to win.” So rightwingers, are you with him or not?

Meredith on November 15, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Joe is having trouble dealing with “The Conservative Conundrum.”. This is the situation that happens when a conservative moves into a completely liberal world. Suddenly the shoes are too workmanlike, the nails ungroomed, the accent a bit unpolished. one really feels his outsider status.

So you have some options. One, renounce your unholy roots and become one of them. Two, go dark. Three, fake it. Four, leave. Five, school them each and every day.

I think Joe has chosen to fake it. He plays things both was. He’s one of them but he wins occasionally to remind us he’s still one of us.

I wish he’d choose option five.

MaxMBJ on November 15, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Really wasn’t a hard call to make, the warning signs were there early and kept building. Many conservatives had an irrational attachment to the man excusing the flaws in his 999 plan, the national sales tax, his incoherence on the abortion issue and consistent lack of intellectual curiosity and ignorance on Foreign Policy. Then again, I can’t be too hard on fellow conservatives for being so desperate for a true Tea Party candidate – there are none in this field. Still, Gingrich and Perry are viable alternatives to Romney in my opinion, we’ll get out tea party conservatives in the future when they are ready. If Romney is the nominee then we should support him over Obama, strengthen the conservative presence in Congress and keep the heat on our elected leaders.

The best thing we can do while we look for another Reagan is to continually hold the people we put in power accountable.

Daemonocracy on November 15, 2011 at 4:00 PM

I thought hawkdriver was my only HotAir thread stalker.

Welcome to the club.

Pablo Honey on November 15, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Gagging everyone with your stench when you enter a room is not stalking.

NotCoach on November 15, 2011 at 4:00 PM

We need to keep reminding Mika’s lap dog that he didn’t call that Obama would be a disaster. In fact, he was one of Obama’s biggest cheerleaders.

Slow Joe II.

Basilsbest on November 15, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Gagging everyone with your stench when you enter a room is not stalking.

NotCoach on November 15, 2011 at 4:00 PM.

Not only a stalker, a toughguy stalker.

Big man.

Pablo Honey on November 15, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I totally call that Joe is a massive tool.

Paul-Cincy on November 15, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Hey Joe…how about this? Once a GOP candidate is determined, and all the money and attention from everybody that is tired of the cr@p we’re putting up with Obama comes together, Hillary will be your dem candidate.

DanMan on November 15, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Like that was a hard call to make.

Mark1971 on November 15, 2011 at 3:09 PM

The first thing I thought when I saw the headline was the first comment someone made on the story. There’s something almost poetic about that.

But then, it wasn’t a hard call to make.

tom on November 15, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Like that was a hard call to make.

Mark1971 on November 15, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Exactly, but it’s frustrating that people fell for it.

ninjapirate on November 15, 2011 at 3:11 PM

We all know why. The media keeps telling us that Romney is the front-runner, and the collective voter base says, “Uhhhhhh, who else ya got?”

Face it, Romney just isn’t much of a front-runner.

tom on November 15, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Meredith on November 15, 2011 at 4:00 PM

As much as you want it to happen. Conservatives still outnumber Moderates in America.

…And there’s still no unicorn in your backyard, precious.

kingsjester on November 15, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Even though I never thought he could win, I was OK with Cain because he — like me — is a black conservative. When he changed the game with his strong debate performances, I held out hope that he could surprise me with an untapped reservoir of expertise in other areas. Then he made that remark about not needing to know the names of the leaders of “Bekibekistanstan” that Hillary transformed into an international incident. Not smart. Then the Mark Block ad. Not smart. And then I watched Mark Block in action. Not smart! Once again, my adage about political consultants is proven; If they were consumer products, most of them would be either recalled or banned.

I think Cain’s been holding up pretty well against the harassment charges. Things really started to turn when the GOP candidates all agreed — either by design or individually — that they weren’t going to let their appearances be transformed into an endless series of speculative questions about Cain’s character. The threat of a summit of Cain accusers fell apart when the humorless Karen Kraushaar decided she didn’t, after all, want any more scrutiny of her record of suing her employers. Penn State has so effectively sopped up the nation’s carnal outrage that Gloria Allred’s presser with Blonde Busty Broke Bialek’s ex-boyfriend fell like the proverbial tree in the forest. Generally, I think most people understood that unless independent corroborating evidence is produced, the high-tech lynching had gone as far as it’s going to go.

All Cain had to do from that point forward to further diminish the circus surrounding him is to impress in spite of it. But even after Rick Perry fell on his face, Cain did an impressive backflip faceplant. Game over! Perry gets the silver, Cain gets the gold. Sheesh.

So, OK, chalk one up for Broken Clock Joe. He’s right twice a day. Most of the time, he’s fulfilling his role as The Republican You Can Tolerate Watching because he constantly distances himself from the right-wingers that pushed him out of politics. Pat Buchanan, of course, is the constant reminder to MSNBC watchers what Scarborough isn’t.

L.N. Smithee on November 15, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Pablo Honey on November 15, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I’m sorry. I can’t hear you over the smell.

NotCoach on November 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I wish he’d choose option five.

MaxMBJ on November 15, 2011 at 4:00 PM

I think Joe has dishonored his conservative roots and should atone by committing seppuku.

belad on November 15, 2011 at 4:23 PM

The Jerk Water Network is for all the news that incompetentce can recite. Joe you’re home.

nimrod on November 15, 2011 at 4:30 PM

rightwinging themselves into irrelevancy

Meredith on November 15, 2011 at 4:00 PM

That makes no sense. Leftwinging yourselves would mean becoming like the Democrats, so why would anyone vote for you when they could vote for the real left-wingers. You only win elections by offering a difference.

The Republicans are in real danger, however, of leftwinging themselves into irrelevancy, as in “being basically the same as the Democrats.”

tom on November 15, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Yep, and so-called Conservative Blogs like Hot Air and RedState followed his ever word whilst helping MSM make sure Cain looked bad. Basically the same as Palin. Shameful the way they follow MSM, looking like lost puppies needing a meal.

Let the Republicans choose Romney, and I’ll gladly vote for Obama…

Karmi on November 15, 2011 at 4:36 PM

L.N. Smithee on November 15, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Great summary. The sexual harassment charges have fallen apart without effect, and there’s a lot to like about Herman Cain. But he just isn’t up on foreign policy, and made some pretty bad flubs on domestic issues. I don’t think his business acumen will be enough to get him through the primaries.

tom on November 15, 2011 at 4:37 PM

ninjapirate on November 15, 2011 at 3:11 PM

OTOH, Bachmann won that straw poll – but she’s not exactly leader of the pack.

whatcat on November 15, 2011 at 4:43 PM

“As much as the base wants it to be so, the Republican Party is not the Conservative Party.

Meredith on November 15, 2011 at 4:00 PM”

Duh, Democrats stare over at their reflection in the mirror and often are telling the truth about what they see. It’s just that we conservatives think we are the majority within and I am not so sure about that considering what I see lately.

Regardless, this is not a moment to stay home. If the lunatics take back power expect more of the same. Imagine Pelosi as speaker again, ugh!

Joe Scar is a moron who failed at radio, his books suck and he is nothing more than the MSM pet monkey Republican. Cain is the embarassment when I recall some brilliant orator going on an on about an inhilator, wait he couldn’t hear himself. Sorry I have seen worst from the current POTUS.

Africanus on November 15, 2011 at 4:59 PM

That is funny. I have always considered Scarborough an embarrassment and he proves me right everyday. You can either read his column at Politico any given week or watch him suck up to Dems on his show every day of the week if you want to know why.

Dawnsblood on November 15, 2011 at 5:02 PM

You know that scene in The Matrix when Neo is in the custody of the agents, and skin covers his mouth so he can’t talk?

I fantasize that happening to Joe Scarborough…

disa on November 15, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Hey Joe Scarborough…… you work at MSNBC.

Spider79 on November 15, 2011 at 5:57 PM