Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:30 am on November 13, 2011 by Allahpundit

To my surprise, none of the big four are leading with Penn State this morning — but if you’re in the mood for lurid accusations, Howard Kurtz and “Reliable Sources” will be navel-gazing over media coverage of the charges against Herman Cain.

Here’s the line-up via the LA Times. Your best best is either “State of the Union” or “Fox News Sunday,” both of which will be looking at questions swirling around the Super Committee. Will they reach a deal or, er, an “outline” of a deal, or will they deadlock? Does Obama really have the stones to veto a bill rescinding the automatic cuts? And isn’t Mark Steyn right that the Committee’s a national joke? Put on a pot of coffee — it’s spin time.

State of the Union With Candy Crowley Super committee: Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas). Super committee: Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.); Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.). GOP presidential field: RNC Chairman Reince Priebus. Jobs: Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, (D-Los Angeles)…

Face the Nation GOP presidential politics: Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.); Gov. Haley Barbour (R-Miss.); Gov. Martin O’Malley (D-Md.). Republican presidential candidate Jon Huntsman. Panel: John Dickerson; Major Garrett; Dee Dee Myers; Kathleen Parker.

Meet the Press GOP presidential politics; Herman Cain scandal: presidential candidate Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.). Obama 2012 strategy; GOP field; state election results: Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.). Panel: Ed Gillespie; E.J. Dionne, the Washington Post; David Brooks, the New York Times; Helene Cooper, the New York Times.

This Week With Christiane Amanpour Iran: Karim Sadjadpour, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace; Former U.N. weapons inspector David Albright. Politics: Donna Brazile; Jonathan Karl; Dana Loesch; George Will.

Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace Super committee: Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.); Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.). Kevin Plank, Under Armour, Panel: Brit Hume; Liz Marlantes; Bill Kristol; Juan Williams.

Comments

My “best bet” is to go outside and do some yard-work until the NASCAR race comes on this afternoon. I recommend that to everyone.

The alternative — watching any of these shows — can only be anger at how far our country has fallen when the people on these shows are considered worthy of air time.

MrScribbler on November 13, 2011 at 8:40 AM

MrScribbler on November 13, 2011 at 8:40 AM

What he said.

darwin-t on November 13, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Of course Darius Huntsman should be enlightening on FtN.

darwin-t on November 13, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Super committee is a joke, thanks to our Speaker.. He threw the Tea Party under the bus, negotiated against himself in secret.. The outcome will be nothing changes..and we continue heading down the path to ruin…

We need to get rid of the entrenched GOP elite and soon!..

kringeesmom on November 13, 2011 at 8:51 AM

MrScribbler on November 13, 2011 at 8:40 AM

I don’t know that the quality of the talking heads was ever any higher. We just tend to notice it more with the constant over-exposure. For example, resurrecting Eric Sevareid and adding him to the lineup wouldn’t constitute a material improvement.

You’re right though. There are lots of more pleasant ways to spend Sunday.

Drained Brain on November 13, 2011 at 8:56 AM

I think Franco Harris is going to be on Fox News Sunday also, because he’s a Penn State alum.

TxAnn56 on November 13, 2011 at 8:57 AM

State of the Union With Candy Crowley Super committee: Jobs: Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, (D-Los Angeles)

I didn’t know they had a comedy segment.

peski on November 13, 2011 at 9:05 AM

The Herman Cain scandal….?
I guess Gregory will follow orders like a good little Obama butt boy and try to resurrect the Cain scandal that has withered on the vine to the disappointment of the whole friggin’ media.
Nothing but leftie GOP bashing to come.

Ed Rollins up against three flaming liberal hacks plus David Gregory so that makes four.

NeoKong on November 13, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Another programming note: PA gov Tom Corbett is also on FNS.

TxAnn56 on November 13, 2011 at 9:06 AM

I think I’ll check MTP to see if David Gregory apologizes for saying “Grand Wizard” regarding the Republican nominee selection process. My guess is he has put it out of his little mind, even though he has not properly apologized nor been chastised for the statement.
FNS is interviewing the Gov. of Pa. – a Republican, who is on the Bd, of Trustees, Penn. St.

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I gots things ta do today. Church, then a craft show.

eat your heart out/

ted c on November 13, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I gots things ta do today. Church, then a craft show.

eat your heart out/

ted c on November 13, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Yeah I have to organize the raindrops out here in the PNW after I categorize my t-shirts.

darwin-t on November 13, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Wow, Franco Harris is really inept at expressing himself.

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:16 AM

I would like to see some photos and read some first hand accounts of the aftermaths of Occupies St. Louis, Denver, SLC, and Portland. I know they are still battling it out in Portland. I hope the mayors of Portland and Oakland don’t weenie out. Both are hardcore lefties.

Blake on November 13, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Pat Toomey calls Senate “dysfunctional” – that’s a description of a Democrat or a liberal.
Can I get some uptwinkles?

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:24 AM

In Portland watching the local news now, and I wouldn’t exactly call this “battling it out”. There’s been a whole lot of nothing going on overnight. One police officer hit by a thrown object, one protestor arrested, and they’ve just been standing in the park all night doing their drumming and chanting and dancing, despite the 12:01 eviction deadline.

Tresjin on November 13, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Come on, Allahpundit, give us a little Sunday morning blood!

Blake on November 13, 2011 at 9:24 AM

James Clyburn! Incomprehensible and ignorant, walking talking aff!rmat!ve act!on.

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I’ve got to go to work. Right now I’m watching the momma cat and her ‘mini me’ that we’ve been feeding. They’re on our back porch. She used to have 3 kittens…then two…and I haven’t seen one of them for about 3 days. I don’t want to know what happened. She has eye problems and we can’t afford vet care for both. Can’t bring both in either-so tomorrow I may grab ‘Ziggy kitten’ and get him to the vet. Maybe I can save one of them. My guys won’t be happy…but they’ll get over it.
*looks sad* Btw:the kitten’s about 4-5 months old-if any Texan’s are interested. Momma’s young too. Both gray/white tuxies.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 13, 2011 at 9:28 AM

I’ll be building a privacy fence and listening to Mark Levin’s Friday show.

I don’t remember the last time I thought any of these shows were worthwhile.

beatcanvas on November 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM

You’re right though. There are lots of more pleasant ways to spend Sunday.

Drained Brain on November 13, 2011 at 8:56 AM

I don’t think it’s the quality of the on-air personalities so much as the fact that ever since Limbaugh and Fox News appeared, they’re all so much more desperately and baldly partisan.

Still, a lib like the late Tim Russert was far superior to David Gregory.

ddrintn on November 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM

“Democrats have not coalesced around a plan” – Clyburn
Tax the rich even more!

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Ditwiler Huntsman is the perfect guy for the media to put out there.

fossten on November 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM

fossten on November 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I don’t usually listen too closely to Abner Huntsman. I think his comedy routines are pretty good, though.

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Panel: Britt nicknames “Uncle Newt”

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Liz Marlantes, remember that name

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Hi, Mr. Bold, How are you?

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Tresjin on November 13, 2011 at 9:24 AM

You didn’t really think that “Swishin’ Sammy Adams” was going to man up did you?

darwin-t on November 13, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I’m doing great, EB, but please, call me Expresso! How are you, EB?

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Juan, you are so classless sometimes. Put away the regurgitation metaphor and never use it again.

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Let’s hope the Democrat “embrace’ of OWS is damaging to them, as Britt says.
Waddayu think, Liz? Oh, they may lose the larger message of income inequality unless they generate some leaders? Are you a lefty girl? From Christian Science Monitor…

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM

MrScribbler on November 13, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Hell, I think I’ll watch at least the first part to see what kind of ‘warm welcome’ Michelle Obama gets.

BigWyo on November 13, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Juan defends OWS! Williams is officially a tool of socialist and Marxist elements.
Repeats lies about spitting and gets emotionally exercised about the OWS movement. Thanks for being an A$$, Juan!

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:53 AM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Mitt Romney has a growing lead in the race for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, and almost half of the party’s voters expect him to be the nominee, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll.
Twenty-eight percent of Republicans backed the former Massachusetts governor, giving him a lead of 8 percentage points over his nearest challenger Herman Cain in the poll, taken November 10-11.

Is Romney the flavor of the month?

CW on November 13, 2011 at 9:54 AM

How are you, EB?

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Ach! You know, sometimes I don’t think I’m making any headway. It’s like I’m talking to myself, somehow.

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:56 AM

It’s like I’m talking to myself, somehow.

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Have you considered decaf?

darwin-t on November 13, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I passed by arrogance, pandering, ignorance, and partisanship to arrive at “Chewing gum while consulting G-20 leaders” which shows that our Complainer-in-Chief is more comfortable acting like a damn clueless teenager than leader of the free world.

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 10:06 AM

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Oops, wrong thread.

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Have you considered decaf?

darwin-t on November 13, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Not ever, decaf is a perversion of coffee, something like “calming tea.”

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Say “No” Michelle, no Congressional action needed at Penn St. yet.

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Is it okay for me to suggest that it’s not a flattering hair style for her?

catwrangler on November 13, 2011 at 10:17 AM

New website. nosurprises20212.com

catwrangler on November 13, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Oooops.

catwrangler on November 13, 2011 at 10:20 AM

catwrangler on November 13, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Is that her “ready for action look” do you think?

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Sheesh. http://www.nosurprises2012.com

Sorry. More coffee. (if this one isn’t right, I’ll quit!)

catwrangler on November 13, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Finally, David Gregory sucker punches Michelle Bachmann with a comment defending the ØBlama administration’s actions in WOT…
David Gregory, now badgering Bachmann, like a joun-Ø-list pit bull.
debbie downer up next, should I stay or go? I think I’ll get breakfast and more caffeine.

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Is that her “ready for action look” do you think?

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Perhaps. Looks a little Star Treck-y to me!

catwrangler on November 13, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Sheesh. http://www.nosurprises2012.com

catwrangler on November 13, 2011 at 10:24 AM

SURPRISE
Just kidding, it works.

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Debbie – stop talking lying through your nose. There has got to be a way mash up your nasal delivery and Pinocchio, somehow, someway.

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM

DSW: bright pink top, heavy eye shadow, stringy curly hair, nasal delivery and ridiculous sneers.
Uh oh, now David is trying to be fair and balanced by bashing Ø with his own speechifaction.

ExpressoBold on November 13, 2011 at 10:36 AM

To my surprise, none of the big four are leading with Penn State this morning

Wait, what? I flipped back and forth between MTP and FNS. Do they run different programs in different time zones? Or does Allahpundit get some kind of advance feed.

Both Meet the Press and Fox News Sunday led with Penn State. Wallace and Gregory led with interviews with PA’s governor.

BuckeyeSam on November 13, 2011 at 10:48 AM

TxAnn56 on November 13, 2011 at 8:57 AM

I didn’t see all of his interview. In what I did see, he was awful. I appreciate his allegiance to Paterno, but the meme that “the Board of Trustees railroaded Paterno” is absurd.

Be that as it may, I can confirm that Harris comments here at Hot Air, and he’s registered under one of the following screennames: Washington Nearsider, blink, or Send_Me.

BuckeyeSam on November 13, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Penn Srate isn’t the major topic because the media has decide the football program there is ‘too big to fail’ and shouldn’t get the death penalty for changing the meaning of PSU to ‘Pervert Supporting University’. Also a factor: it involve homosexual abuse.

It is NOT to be discussed, except on how ‘healing’ can begin. What should have happened is the ENTIRE program closed down with at least the 3-year death penalty the SMU received for financial impropriety, as opposed to sexual predation on children.

michaelo on November 13, 2011 at 11:00 AM

MrScribbler on November 13, 2011 at 8:40 AM

AMEN

listens2glenn on November 13, 2011 at 11:15 AM

michaelo on November 13, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Wtf?
¡¡¡¡¡ ¡¡¡¡¡ *down twinkles*

NightmareOnKStreet on November 13, 2011 at 11:20 AM

BuckeyeSam on November 13, 2011 at 10:57 AM

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

listens2glenn on November 13, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Michell Bachmann talking???

Glad I’ll miss it.

portlandon on November 13, 2011 at 11:27 AM

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

listens2glenn on November 13, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Review any of the Penn State threads in the past three days. These three seem to be taking eight-hour shifts in their delusional defense of Paterno head-in-the-sand response to this entire chapter. Harris sounded like one or more of them in his interview.

BuckeyeSam on November 13, 2011 at 11:30 AM

michaelo on November 13, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Neither the Football program nor the University itself, BENEFITED from Sandusky’s actions, as opposed to the ‘financial impropriety’ at SMU.
The University Heads who absolutely stopped the info from going outside their ‘inner circle’, are guilty individually and personally of a cover-up.
In what way or how do you believe Penn State University, or it’s football program, benifitted from not having Jerry Sandusky arrested immediatley?

We’re all going to have to WAIT for the eventual trial, which will divulge all known details that cannot be divulged by investigators at this time.

listens2glenn on November 13, 2011 at 11:49 AM

We need to get rid of the entrenched GOP elite and soon!..

kringeesmom on November 13, 2011 at 8:51 AM

FloatingRock on November 13, 2011 at 11:57 AM

BuckeyeSam on November 13, 2011 at 11:30 AM

So far, I’ve steered clear of the Penn State threads because of my own emotional attachement to the PSU football program, and as such cannot deny the evidence you presented.
So, you may well be correct.
I can’t go reviewing those threads without getting too ‘worked up’, so I’ll take your word for it.

listens2glenn on November 13, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Don’t forget 60 Minutes tonight. It will be the first time in ages I’ll be watching.

FloatingRock on November 13, 2011 at 11:59 AM

FloatingRock on November 13, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Is there anyone on that staff who’s not beyond retirement?

listens2glenn on November 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM

listens2glenn on November 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I’m not sure, I don’t think I’ve watched it in at least ten years.

FloatingRock on November 13, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Michell Bachmann talking??? Glad I’ll miss it.

portlandon on November 13, 2011 at 11:27 AM

WHAT? ! ! !

I think think she has a sexy voice.

: )

listens2glenn on November 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM

FloatingRock on November 13, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Me neither.

Glenn Beck opined that Katie’s motive for jumping networks was because she’d look much younger alongside the ‘dinosaurs’ at SeeBS.

listens2glenn on November 13, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Yes, as always.

State of the Union With Candy Crowley

Jobs: Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, (D-Los Angeles)

Heh. What does this greasy little Mexican crook know about “jobs”?

Face the Nation GOP presidential politics

Republican presidential candidate Jon Huntsman.

Huh? Huntmans is running for President?

Meet the Press GOP presidential politics

Panel:
Ed Gillespie (R-Lib)
E.J. Dionne (D-Lib)
David Brooks (D-Lib)
Helene Cooper (D-Lib)

Fair and balanced

Jaibones on November 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I saw over at the Daily Caller that George Will’s wife has join Gov. Perry’s team to help him with debate prep and speeches.

Cindy Munford on November 13, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Of course they did not touch the Homosexual crime on minor boys!
Third rail of the world of Political Correctness