Video: Gingrich schools Pelley on “rule of law” on terrorists

posted at 10:59 pm on November 12, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

I missed tonight’s CBS debate, mainly because I spent a great evening with some of my blogging friends here at FreedomWorks’ BlogCon2011.  When I returned, though, I got a few messages about one particular moment in the debate, where CBS moderator attempted to lecture Newt Gingrich on the “rule of law” regarding American citizens who join the enemy to wage war against the US.  Big mistake.

The two worst aspects of this exchange?  The smug look on Pelley’s face when he challenged Gingrich on this point, and the “no” you can hear him utter just as Gingrich started his smackdown of Pelley.  Regardless of the context of this exchange, this is a perfect encapsulation of why these media debates are utterly worthless, and why the Republican Party needs to force a format change.  Pelley isn’t running for President, and we don’t need to have Pelley debating the presidential candidates.  We need them to debate each other.  It’s only made more ridiculous when a moderator-turned-participant ends up as far out of his depth as Pelley was on this question.

As I mentioned, I didn’t watch the debate, but from my Twitter feed and a few e-mails, it seems that many thought that Gingrich and Romney were strong as usual, Rick Perry did surprisingly well, and Herman Cain spent too much time deflecting with promises to have a team of experts look at the issues once he’s elected President. I don’t know how Rick Santorum did in the debate, but his team sent out their spin e-mail with the subject line, “Draft Template,” which leads me to conclude that he at least flunked the post-debate.  Either that or he’s looking to back a new candidate named John R. Template for the Republican nomination.

We already have one open thread for the debate, but feel free to add your opinions on the debate in this thread, too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

That was a wonderful slap down!

Kini on November 12, 2011 at 11:03 PM

This was Newt’s best moment and why I think he is a strong candidate. He challenges the media assumptions just like Palin did and goes to town when he needs to. His follow up when in power leaves something to be desired but he’s the best so far.

sharrukin on November 12, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Even though he comes with lot’s of baggage, I’ve thought Newt was the best candidate from the first debate. He will tear up Obama in a debate. (plus I like his support of the NRA).

Go Newt!

ColumbusConservative on November 12, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Man, I hate to say it but Newt seems to be the man these days. Good Gaia did he smack Pelley, I actually winced.

Newt would destroy PBHO in a debate, DESTROY him. And I would laugh.

Bishop on November 12, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Not utterly, for they give us moments like this. Everytime Gingrich does his he performs a public service and indirectly chips away at Obama’s media phalanx. These encounters have ten times more impact than any thinktank’s report on media bias.

rrpjr on November 12, 2011 at 11:06 PM

The media will never allow a change in format that doesn’t leave them in control. One of the first things you learn as a candidate is that the media set the agenda, the candidates don’t!

CrazyGene on November 12, 2011 at 11:06 PM

One of my favorite moments from tonight.

El_Terrible on November 12, 2011 at 11:07 PM

the Republican Party needs to force a format change

Like boycotting some of these dumb debates…

d1carter on November 12, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Mr. Morrissey, is your current twitter picture you doing Up Twinkles?

Cindy Munford on November 12, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Obama won’t debate Newt, he will run like a baby.

Cindy Munford on November 12, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Amen AP. GOP start acting like men and women and either demand a better format or don’t show up en masse.

AshleyTKing on November 12, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Damn, sorry Ed.

AshleyTKing on November 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM

I only wish Newt had stopped and asked Pelley, “Why did you just say NO when I started talking, am I debating you or are you asking me for my opinion on these matters?”

Why DOES the GOP always agree to debates moderated by leftist jackasses who are constantly trying to score a gotcha moment against them, I just don’t get it.

Bishop on November 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM

I’ve stressed repeatedly the the proper term for this kind of encounter – here between Gingrich & Pelley – is bitch-slap, and one can watch it here.

BCrago66 on November 12, 2011 at 11:10 PM

I really like the way Pelley uttered “no.” I like to think he said it as a response to the beating he was about to get.

El_Terrible on November 12, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Taste that nightstick. Pow.

andy85719 on November 12, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Bishop on November 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Stockholm Syndrome.

rrpjr on November 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM

One of my favorite momemts from all the debates so far. He’s right on!

Shay on November 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM

It’s always enjoyable when a self-righteous Lib gets told the way that the cow ate the cabbage.

kingsjester on November 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM

It serves the Republican establishment’s purpose to have Dem. media anoint Mitties.

I see no other reason why the Republican establishment would want the Lefty Dem. MSM control the questions, venues, opportunities, and unequal parceling of questions to whomever they please.

I was so aggravated after this week that I couldn’t watch tonight. So I appreciate the Newt slapdown.

hpushkin on November 12, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Especially utterly worthless when CBS is hosting a debate but preempts it by a half hour in order to show an NCIS rerun and then leaves the rest of us interested parties flailing for a place to listen to the rest of it online and CBS’s server couldn’t handle the traffic.

Epic failure for CBS tonight.

Knucklehead on November 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM

sharrukin on November 12, 2011 at 11:04 PM

He’s a brilliant guy and no one takes it to the media the way he does(no, not even Palin who does it from the safe havens of Facebook and FoxNews). My only concern is that he comes off as PO’d and overly antagonistic at times which can be a turnoff to swing voters, particularly women.

I think it was Savage who said on his radio show about a year ago that Newt was a brilliant guy but unelectable. At the time, I agreed with him(which is a rare occurrence). I’m still weary of him as the GOP nominee simply because he remains unpopular with most of the electorate dating back to his time as House Speaker, he’s absolutely despised by Democrats and the media(I know, I’m being redundant), and he lacks the ability to charm a crowd which with one exception(see below) has been crucial to every successful Presidential candidate since Reagan.

The lone exception was Bush 41 who won the Presidency despite being a dull, unengaging public speaker. But that doesn’t really count since he was running on the coattails of Reagan’s 8 years and faced off against Dukakis who came off even colder than Bush.

Bottom line, Newt would destroy Obama in the debates. I don’t doubt that for a second. No one does. But is that enough to overcome his other deficiencies as a candidate, not to mention the media onslaught which will rain down on him 24/7 during the general election?

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Interestingly, NJ said Romney made absolutely no mistakes during the entire debate, but took time to address every other candidates mistakes. We know who they are rooting for.

andy85719 on November 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM

CBS shouldn’t let this clown anywhere near serious people ever again. Let him do his “news reader” thing, and don’t ask anything more of him. He’s a robot, yes, but he’s foolish too. Bad combo.

MTF on November 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Bishop on November 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Other than free air time it is a waste for these candidates.

darwin-t on November 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Bishop on November 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM

For the same reason they will appear on CNN and MSNBC, while the pussy’s on the left won’t appear on FOX. They show that they’re not afraid of them and they can take the heat.

ColumbusConservative on November 12, 2011 at 11:15 PM

WTF????????

rule of law….. act of war???????

HATE TO BE A STICKLER FOR DETAIL…BUT….BUT….

APPARENTLY SOMEONE FORGOT TO MENTION TO NEWT OR BARRY FOR THAT MATTER ……THE UNITED STATED HASN’T DECLARED WAR ON ANYONE SINCE 1941…… JUST A MINOR OVER SIGHT….HUH…..SO MUCH FOR DA RULE OF LAW.

IF YA WANT TO SAY YA PLAY’N BY DA RULES……. WHY IGNORE RULE # 1

…..DECLARE WAR…… BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ROFLMMFAO

donabernathy on November 12, 2011 at 11:17 PM

You guys don’t get it about the media.

It’s kinda like the Mark Twain quote about people who buy ink by the barrel. They control the public access.

No one has enough money to buy the air time. And even if you did, they would decide not to sell it to you. Since we have foolishly given them control over what most people get as information, we’re stuck with them.

Newt is doing the best that can be done. Now if the rest would do the same, it might get more interesting. But they won’t, because some jerk will decide that by pandering to the media, he/she/it will get better treatment and just might win.

CrazyGene on November 12, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Jeezus, man — this is war! You don’t think women voters appreciate a masculine man who stands up to this kind of crap?

We’ve been taking it in the teeth FAR too long. We HAVE to try something new with the media, which is our enemy to the exact same degree Obama is (they just can’t show it). Now Gingrich is forcing them into the open. People will remember the arrogance and eye-rolling of that woman moderator the other night. And Pelley’s smugness tonight. These are victories!

And I simply do not see antagonism or PO’d-ness in Gingrich during these encounters. He’s pointed, firm and clear and then he moves on.

rrpjr on November 12, 2011 at 11:21 PM

donabernathy on November 12, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Does an act of war against the U.S. require a corresponding declaration of war back against them?

Bishop on November 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM

. . . . this is a perfect encapsulation of why these media debates are utterly worthless, and why the Republican Party needs to force a format change.

SO WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR? ! ! ! ! !

listens2glenn on November 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Newt seriously loses points with me on this. A Panel picked by the president, reporting to the president, and the president gets to override them if he wants to. That is not acting within the law. That is tyranny.

astonerii on November 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Well she was accused of mass murder in that safe haven and still fought back, so maybe its not as safe as you imagine.

Dole and other weaklings don’t come off that way and they lose.

There are no Republicans running, or ever will run that are going to be liked by the Democrats except guys like Huntsman who will meekly hand the Democrats the win.

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM

There is no one else. Santorum lacks presence. Maybe Bachmann but I doubt it. Perry and Cain are Dumb and Dumberer. Ron Paul is a loon and Romney is a Democrat.

sharrukin on November 12, 2011 at 11:23 PM

<blockquotThat is tyranny.

astonerii on November 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM
How old are you? I’m guessing 27 or 28

darwin-t on November 12, 2011 at 11:24 PM

donabernathy on November 12, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Hey worthless paultard,

You’re a mental incompetent. Go back to your Mom’s basement. (And no, you cannot make the moronic persuasive by using all caps.)

BCrago66 on November 12, 2011 at 11:25 PM

astonerii on November 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Its called war and its a long way from nice or pleasant. In fact I heard a rumor thats its hell.

sharrukin on November 12, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Wrong! The public is looking for someone they believe is competent. I believe that the independents and idiots that crossed over or stayed home in 2008 will vote Republican if they feel he is competent.

The public is POd so They won’t mind if Newt is stern with Obama or the media. They won’t care about his divorces either in the general election.

Vince on November 12, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Bingo. Newts going to have a woman problem for sure if he doesnt done it down.

nswider on November 12, 2011 at 11:26 PM

donabernathy on November 12, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Does someone here seem to have forgotten the authorization to use military force against terrorist entities? That declaration, passed in bipartisan fashion by both the House and Senate after 9/11 amount to a declaration of war against the entities in question.

Unless you would like to cite where that authorization has been rescinded.

AZfederalist on November 12, 2011 at 11:27 PM

rrpjr on November 12, 2011 at 11:21 PM

A majority of women voters did want a masculine man in 2004. And Bush came off as tougher than John “Global Test” Kerry which helped him win reelection. But it’s not like Obama can’t point to a few high profile killings in the Middle East to make the case that he’s a pretty tough dude. So I think that’s a losing argument for Newt supporters.

The other problem Newt will have with women voters is a lot of them like big government politicians(particularly single women) and nobody personifies that more than Barry. And Newt’s personal life has been a mess which also won’t help matters.

Look, I love these viral smackdowns as much as anyone. But this sort of thing doesn’t win elections. Keep in mind the big picture. I’m not saying Newt can’t win the Presidency. But he’d have a lot of negatives as the GOP nominee that people seem to be overlooking.

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:28 PM

How old are you? I’m guessing 27 or 28

darwin-t on November 12, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Don’t know how old it is, but some of us now call it “Church Lady” because all he’s done for the past couple of weeks is call Herman Cain an immoral man or some such nonsense.

Do yourself a favor and ignore it.

Knucklehead on November 12, 2011 at 11:29 PM

My wife likes a man who gets pissed off when necessary and doesn’t become some sort of Kumbayah squish because he’s afraid of being seen as masculine.

But what does she know, she’s just a woman.

Bishop on November 12, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Single women dependent on the government aren’t voting Republican anyway any more than blacks are. Bachmann won’t bring those women in and Cain won’t bring the blacks either. Not gonna happen.

sharrukin on November 12, 2011 at 11:30 PM

CrazyGene on November 12, 2011 at 11:06 PM

So? Go around them. Isn’t that what Gingrich and Cain did last Saturday night with their Lincoln/Douglas debate?

Seriously, do we really need the media? Live stream a debate on the internet, or do a debate on AM radio. Get creative. I canceled cable years ago and have never regretted it. We can live without them, you know. : )

parteagirl on November 12, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Do yourself a favor and ignore it.

Knucklehead on November 12, 2011 at 11:29 PM

I try, Lord knows I try

darwin-t on November 12, 2011 at 11:30 PM

astonerii on November 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Careful. You could be targeted. If you see any dancing red dots, duck before they quit dancing.

Vince on November 12, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Cain certainly isn’t going to get the female vote.

andy85719 on November 12, 2011 at 11:31 PM

But what does she know, she’s just a woman.

Bishop on November 12, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Well she picked you so her judgement is suspect at best. *_*

darwin-t on November 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM

My 6 year old daughter asked me what it was like before we had Police. It was at that moment, today after all these years, where the distinction between law enforcement and war became clear. Newt understands this but I question his understanding of Capitalism!

Clarity on that also came from answering questions from my 6 year old. I won’t elaborate here, but it has less to do with effectiveness than freedom. (It just so happens Capitalism results in more freedom. America was and should be about Freedom. Tell that to a OWS dork.)

Quetzal on November 12, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Bingo. Newts going to have a woman problem for sure if he doesnt done it down.

nswider on November 12, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Gingrich is going to have a “woman problem” by challenging the media on its false narratives?

This kind of thinking is why the liberal/left controls the popular culture.

rrpjr on November 12, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Ed, I linked your post, but man, I think Bachmann deserves some kudos: ‘Michele Bachmann Dominates CBS News/National Journal Debate’.

Donald Douglas on November 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:28 PM

What makes you presume you know how women perceive things? All elections are different and voters tastes change.

Vince on November 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM

rrpjr on November 12, 2011 at 11:06 PM

WORD!

I don’t think they make Newt look overly antagonistic:

1. People with common sense recognize when the media is playing gotcha.

2. Newt is weighing the scales heavily on the other side by pulling his punches on the other Rs running. That goes further on his image than taking down a smug, smirking self-righteous media person.

INC on November 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM

donabernathy on November 12, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Really?

So we needed to declare war on whom?

Awalaki is not a sovereign nation. He is part of Al-Queda, a terrorist group operating outside of ALL international laws. Under that thinking, Bin Laden should not be dead…

hypothetically, we should not have been abe to attack OBL, prior to 9/11 if we could…without UN or congressional approval?

Awesome.

DLEW on November 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Well she picked you so her judgement is suspect at best. *_*
darwin-t on November 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM

When I find you it will be this for you: X_X

Bishop on November 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Like I said, Newt will be the new front runner. Cain is finished. I wouldn’t be too surprised if Newt goes on to win Iowa.

Ed is right. The GOP needs to start defining the debate rules and picking the moderator instead of letting these narcissistic prima donnas ask the questions with condescension in their voices.

NickDeringer on November 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM

sharrukin on November 12, 2011 at 11:30 PM

I’m just trying to warn people. Newt’s numbers when matched up against Barry have been in Palin territory for a long time. The reason is that a lot of people don’t like him. In fact, it’s a lot like Palin’s situation. He made a bad first impression on voters(in large part because of a left-wing media that demonized him from day one), was all but forced out of the Speakership in 1998, and has remained a polarizing figure ever since. Replace Speakership with Governorship and you’ve got Palin and we’ve heard for 3 years that was she was unelectable in a general election.

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Quetzal on November 12, 2011 at 11:33 PM

We sometimes lose sight of the reality of power and violence when we live in an essentially just and peaceful society.

sharrukin on November 12, 2011 at 11:37 PM

donabernathy on November 12, 2011 at 11:17 PM

OBL declared war on us. So we’re at war, and that snake in the Sudan had taken up arms against us, thereby forfeiting his citizenship and making him the enemy. Newt is exactly right.

I watched the first hour of the ‘debate’. It was extremely annoying having the ‘moderators’ run the clock, and keep changing questions at the end of every 60 or 30 seconds. The candidates should insist that everyone on stage answer a given question, and continue to discuss the answers amongst themselves, with perhaps a time limit of 15 minutes per question. Better yet, forget these cattle shows and just have discussions, as Newt and Herman did last week.

I tried to record the last half hour from CBS.com, but their server couldn’t handle the traffic, and the feed kept stalling. Did anything interesting happen?

In the hour I watched, many good things were said, but as with the previous ‘debates’, I think Newt had the upper hand. I have many reservations about him, about his managerial ability, and about his occasional scatterbrained excursions into statism, but amongst all of them he is clearly the best prepared for the Presidency, and I think in foreign affairs especially, he would do America proud.

MrLynn on November 12, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM

I’ve been thinking the same thing. So who do you think has the right combination of charm and competence? What’s your gut say?

parteagirl on November 12, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Imagine if Bush had articulated this while in office like Newt just did. It would have been helpful.

AnotherOpinion on November 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Vince on November 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Gee, I don’t know. Maybe decades of voting trends along with countless polls that come out every week? As much as it pains me to see, a majority of women still support Barry, even if it’s by a slim margin. Newt would do nothing to mitigate those numbers.

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM

When I find you it will be this for you: X_X

Bishop on November 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM

You’ll never find me, I’ve had you under surveillance for months and you haven’t even noticed.

darwin-t on November 12, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM

And it was BS then for Palin, and its BS now for Newt. We go that route and that leaves us with who exactly? Cain the Molester? Romney of the Weird Magical Underwear? Perry the Dumb Texan Cowboy? Bachmann the Screachy? Santorum the Moral Policeman? Who doesn’t get both barrels and a smoking gun?

sharrukin on November 12, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM

One difference between Newt & Palin is no one (media included) can get away with trying to push the meme that Newt is not knowledgeable or capable.

Are you setting things up to tell us why Romney is the *only* one electable?

INC on November 12, 2011 at 11:44 PM

I wish every university had a Professor Newt Gingrich. I feel smarter just listening to him.

terryannonline on November 12, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Newt cannot get boxed in during the debates.

He would destroy Obama on national TV, which is what it is going to take. The whole nation needs to see Obama get intellectually demolished on TV.

Newt can do this.

Perry can’t.

Cain can’t.

Mitt agrees with Obama more than he disagrees with him.

Bachmann can’t.

Santorum. LOL.

portlandon on November 12, 2011 at 11:45 PM

darwin-t on November 12, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Pffft. My youngest daughter told me about putting some guy in a headlock after she found him spying on my shop through binoculars, and that he started crying so she let him go.

That was you? Oh. Uh…she says sorry.

Bishop on November 12, 2011 at 11:46 PM

I didn’t see the debate but from this video, Romney, Cain and others are looking at Newt and getting a lesson on how to deal with enemy combatants….if they were President.

Electrongod on November 12, 2011 at 11:46 PM

I’ll bet Scott Pelley is being lauded and praised all up and down the leftist blogoshpere tonite for standing up to those “mean-spirited” Republicans.

My other favorite Pelley moment was when he tried to interrupt and cut off Mitt early on and Mitt objected that his yellow warning light went on and he still had 30 secs and first Pelley fought him and then he suddenly said; oops, my mistake, you can keep talking.

These media types truly make me ill. Night all

Always Right on November 12, 2011 at 11:47 PM

That was you? Oh. Uh…she says sorry.

Bishop on November 12, 2011 at 11:46 PM

SNORT!

darwin-t on November 12, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned and there are a lot of us out there.

Knucklehead on November 12, 2011 at 11:49 PM

I’m just trying to warn people.

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM

I like you better when you’re making silly defenses for Herman Cain. :-)

Punchenko on November 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Have you all seen this at Newt’s site. It’s a great read.

terryannonline on November 12, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Vince on November 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Do the decades of voting trends indicate that the media is the same today as they were decades ago. What questions, in the polls, do they ask women that indicated to you that they don’t like Newt standing up against biased and slanted questions?

There is so much wrong with your analysis. Maybe if Newt was ripping his fellow candidates I might agree with you but he isn’t He is very supportive and kind to them.

As a matter of fact, your analysis would be more logical if he were the nominee and he was ripping Obama during face to face debates. Then I could see how women would gravitate away from the meanie who was beating up the poor defenseless other guy.

Vince on November 12, 2011 at 11:52 PM

People will argue about the constitutionality of assassinating Alawki all day long, but I have to say that I doubt that anyone is losing sleep over his actual death, that’s for sure.

NathanG on November 12, 2011 at 11:52 PM

parteagirl on November 12, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Unfortunately I was hoping that person would be Perry when he entered the race in August. And for about a month he was until it became clear he was incapable of performing well in a debate. And yes, I know he did better tonight, but he’s had decent debates in this campaign. His first two weren’t all that bad. The problem is his 3rd and 6th debate disasters overshadowed any good moments at the others.

So that leaves us with Mittens who comes off as competent and articulate(which is not the same as charming however). The problem there is he’s not a conservative and is perceived by way too many as a slick politician who’ll say anything to get elected. Then there’s Cain who’s got charm up the wazoo and comes off as competent when discussing most domestic issues. The problem with him is he’s unseasoned and prone to gaffes. And he apparently still refuses to do any studying on foreign policy which is inexcusable for a man who’s been leading in many polls for well over a month now.

Which brings us to Newt. He certainly exudes an aura of competence based on his debate performances and command of the issues. He does have some negatives in that he was forced out of the Speakership and has run a lackluster campaign until recently. But his record as a conservative leader in the mid-to-late 90′s is very solid. The problem is he has no charm whatsoever. He comes off as professorial most of the time. People do want leadership, but they don’t wanna feel like they’re being lectured to.

I suppose in the end we may have to roll the dice and go with Newt. If most of the country truly is as PO’d as I’m inclined to believe than you would hope they wouldn’t be suicidal enough to go with 4 more years of Obama just because Newt occasionally rubs people the wrong way. The alternative is Mittens who stands a very good chance of beating Obama, but I don’t have a clue how he’d govern as President and that’s a serious problem. I’ve written off Perry and I’m almost at that point with Cain. The former because he’s done too much damage to his campaign with horrible debate performances and the latter because he seems to be almost intentionally refusing to bone up at all on foreign policy issues which would be fatal in the general election.

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Punchenko on November 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Cain is so yesterday, though he’s got money to hang around now. None of mine. Powder’s still dry.

exdeadhead on November 12, 2011 at 11:53 PM

terryannonline on November 12, 2011 at 11:45 PM

I’m glad Newt stood up for the Coptic Christians tonight.

Punchenko on November 12, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Folks, it does not matter who the Republican candidate is, no matter how nicely some of the candidates are being treated by the MSM right now and being promoted as the “most rational”, “most intellectual”, “most reasonable”, or “most electable”. Once nominated as Republican candidate, that person will become Public Enemy #1 and the MSM and all liberals will tell us how this person eats puppies for breakfast, raw, molests anything that moves before lunch and is plotting to blow up and poison the world, throw grandma off a cliff and make sure his/her billionaire cronies get grandpa’s social security check.

Given that reality, the challenge is to find the most conservative candidate who is going to work to rescind Obamacare and roll back all of the government over-reach of the past 4 years and before. There’s a lot to pull back — EPA regulations, CAFE standards, FCC over-reach, etc. The question is which candidate is going to do that and be successful? It’s darn sure not going to be Huntsman, it is not very likely that Romney will be that person, he’ll just let those existing regulations stand, for the most part, or make a half-hearted effort to roll back and then when excoriated by the media and activists will cave. Newt? Right now he looks pretty good, but he has some issues as evidenced by his stint on the couch with Nancy. Cain? He says the right things, but also doesn’t have a grasp of the issues as well as he should. Perry? He says the right things, but can we trust him?

Forget “most conservative who is electable” BS being promoted by the MSM and Republican elites. Any candidate with an (R) after their name is going to be demonized, villified, and denigrated as the anti-christ. The key is to get the American people to recognize the disaster and destructive POTUS that is BHO and offer them a real alternative that promotes a positive future.

AZfederalist on November 12, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Have you all seen this at Newt’s site. It’s a great read.

terryannonline on November 12, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Thanks. Reading it now.

rrpjr on November 12, 2011 at 11:56 PM

BTW. Can anyone refresh my memory on why Gingrich was “forced” out of his leadership position?

Vince on November 12, 2011 at 11:57 PM

astonerii on November 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Maybe you think the president should be less powerful and more constrained by advisers. And there’s a lot to be said for that viewpoint.

But that’s not how our government is set up. The president has the ultimate power in cases of war according to the Constitution. He can have as many advisers as he finds useful or practical, but he doesn’t give up any authority to them.

Ultimately, the president is very much like a monarch in his sphere of authority, and that’s the way the Founding Fathers intended it.

Which is why it’s a shame someone unworthy like Obama was elected, but we can’t change the whole Constitutional government just because a sorry man was elected president.

There Goes The Neighborhood on November 12, 2011 at 11:57 PM

AZfederalist on November 12, 2011 at 11:55 PM

There are two theories that have been stated repeatedly for a while now that will be tested in 2012 if Newt is our nominee. First is what Rush says. When conservatism is put on the ballot in Presidential elections, it wins every time. The second is the claim(made by myself included) that a ham sandwich would beat Obama.

With Newt ascending in the polls, I hope to God these theories are validated next year.

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Vince on November 12, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Ethic’s violations for starters. Not pretty.

Knucklehead on November 13, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Doughboy on November 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM

If your viewpoint is correct, then we need to be nominating the most rock-solid conservative we can get.

We have almost 80 years worth of government over-reach that has to be rolled back. The bills from the 1930′s on are coming due and our our freedom can’t cash the check.

AZfederalist on November 13, 2011 at 12:03 AM

best evidence that Newt had a good night, Jennifer Rubin pops up to whine about him

commodore on November 13, 2011 at 12:04 AM

donabernathy on November 12, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Should tell that warmonger Ron Paul he voted for this

SEC. 2. AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES.

(a) IN GENERAL- That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.

William Amos on November 13, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Vince on November 12, 2011 at 11:57 PM

In the 1998 midterms, the GOP lost something like 5 seats in the House. Which compared to the Dems’ performance in 2010 seems like nothing, but was considered at the time to be a very bad performance by the party that didn’t control the White House(historically that party gains seats in the midterms). Newt got a lot of heat for this.

Plus there were ethics charges almost all of which were frivolous, but hurt his image. The government shutdown reflected badly on him. And he also looked hypocritical going after Clinton for lying about the Lewinsky affair when his own personal life was a mess.

It was a combination of things, but it led to him being so polarizing and unpopular that many in his own party wanted nothing to do with him. Like I said earlier, a lot of it’s eerily reminiscent of what happened to Palin.

Doughboy on November 13, 2011 at 12:04 AM

I found this online.

Although he never joined the chorus of voices admonishing Clinton for his marital indiscretions, Gingrich did use the president’s alleged perjury as a rallying cry to gain more seats in the midterm elections. Nevertheless, Republicans suffered more losses and the blame was again laid at Gingrich’s feet. Rather than face another challenge for his seat, Gingrich announced he would step down not only as Speaker but also from the House — despite soundly winning an 11th term.

It’s a profile from About.com. I knew that there were some Republicans that thought he was too conservative and tried to unseat him but failed with the help of Dick Armey.

Vince on November 13, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Obama won’t debate Newt, he will run like a baby.

Cindy Munford on November 12, 2011 at 11:08 PM

If need be Newt should have a stage set up in every town that Barry campaigns in… complete with a teleprompter for Barry. Then very publicly invite Barry to stop over for a chat…

RalphyBoy on November 13, 2011 at 12:05 AM

At least,Newt knows how to handle the Biased/Hostile
Marxist Socialist Media!!

canopfor on November 13, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Doughboy on November 13, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Ah! I should say duh! The shutdown of the government was placed squarely on Gingrich. I remember now. It pi$$ed me off how the media/dems got away with that.

Vince on November 13, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Meanwhile………………………………….

Hopey/Changey steps into it,once again!
=======================================

Obama on America: “We’ve Gotten a Little Bit Lazy”
Saturday, November 12, 2011, 10:34 PM
****************************************

Obama insults America… again.
The president told a group of CEO’s today –
“We’ve gotten a little bit lazy.”
———————————-

ABC reported:

For the second time in as many months, President Obama has taken the nation that elected him president to task for its own lackadaisical economic performance on the global stage.

Obama told a group of CEOs today that the United States has gotten “lazy” and that America lost its hunger in promoting itself in a global marketplace.

“We’ve been a little bit lazy over the last couple of decades. We’ve kind of taken for granted — ‘Well, people would want to come here’ — and we aren’t out there hungry, selling America and trying to attract new businesses into America,” he told the CEOs who are gathered on the sidelines of the annual Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meetings, which the United States is hosting this year in Hawaii.
=======================

canopfor on November 13, 2011 at 12:10 AM

I have to chime in here. I thought Michele Bachmann was really strong tonight.

Gingrich
Bachmann
Romney
Perry
Cain
Paul
Santorum
Huntsman

SouthernGent on November 13, 2011 at 12:11 AM

The winners tonight were Newt and Bachmann IMO. Romney has topped out; it’s anybody-but-Romneycare. Sorry, establishment, but what the base is telling you is to take your chimera and….

I can’t WAIT to watch the establishment throw a conniption fit!!!

FloatingRock on November 13, 2011 at 12:15 AM

This was definitely Newt’s best moment of the night. Very good, and not surprising coming from Newt.

As for Cain deflecting about how he would surround himself with a good team, lol! As long as he has Blockhead around, we know that he has no idea what a good team is. Blockhead’s presence says a lot about Cain.

Perry rocked the house tonight, too.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on November 13, 2011 at 12:16 AM

parteagirl

That sounds good in theory, but it fails in practice. Try something simple. Run for office. Pick a really little office in a really little place, something that you can really get your arms around.

You won’t be able to get away from them. They (the media) will frame the campaign.

I like Newt’s method of personally embarrassing the jerks who come after him. And note, he does it in a venue where they can’t edit him out.

If you ever, grant an interview. Run your own recorder and/or video and make it clear, that you will post the raw footage if you don’t like their editing. Some of them will run off then, the others will be honest as long as you have an alternative.

CrazyGene on November 13, 2011 at 12:17 AM