Rasmussen: Perry’s favorable rating now at … 25/61

posted at 7:41 pm on November 11, 2011 by Allahpundit

Nice big sample of 1,000 likely voters. To put this in perspective, Palin’s favorable numbers have been cited for the past two years as proof that she couldn’t get elected — and Perry’s numbers here are worse than hers were in nearly every poll that’s ever been taken on her. Among independents (whom Rasmussen polls as “others” when asking about party), he’s at 22/63. I’m mystified. He’s been dreadful in the debates and he messed up badly with his crack about the heartlessness of denying in-state tuition to illegals, but he’s a likable enough guy. Even Ron Paul manages 35/50 in this poll and he has tons of detractors in the mainstream of both parties. And the worst part for Perry is that Ras’s poll was taken on Wednesday and Thursday of this week, after a full day of the brain fart heard ’round the world airing nonstop on cable news. If there was going to be a sympathy bump for him, we’d be seeing it here. Instead, the guy’s radioactive. What happened?

Matt Bai thinks his vapor lock was killer not because it made him look dumb but because it made him look inauthentic:

There’s nothing more central to Mr. Perry’s campaign than the idea of scaling back the government in Washington — that’s pretty much the whole tamale right there — and what he proved last night, in 60 or so agonizing seconds, is that he hasn’t thought deeply enough about it to even master the basics of his own agenda.

What’s really missing from Mr. Perry’s campaign — the vacuum that was exposed in the debate — isn’t smoothness or intellect, but a sense that the man is clear on what the moment demands. It underlies the lingering sense that Mr. Perry is running chiefly because he saw an opening he could exploit, rather than having spent much time thinking about what ails the country and what to do about it.

His money’s starting to dry up too, even as he launches a desperate $1 million ad buy on Fox to try to stop the bleeding:

Fundraising for Republican presidential hopeful Rick Perry, who has raised millions since declaring his candidacy in August, has slowed significantly, exacerbated by poor debate performances, sources close to his campaign said on Friday…

“Their fund-raising has ground to a halt. It ground to a halt before the debate this week,”,” said a prominent Republican source familiar with the situation who asked not to be identified…

“I think they are not going to have any money coming in for the next month,” said the Perry fundraiser, who did not want to be named due to the sensitive nature of the situation.

The big winner in Rasmussen’s favorable survey was Romney, the only one of the candidates polled who was above water at 48/42. (Cain clocked in at 37/51 and Gingrich at 38/50.) Romney also leads big in CBS’s new poll on which candidate is most electable, taking 40 percent versus 20 for Cain and just six each for Gingrich and Perry. Old theory: The primary will be a long war of attrition between Romney and Perry. New theory: Romney wins Iowa and then New Hampshire and the nomination is decided by the evening of January 10th. Cain could still complicate that by pulling a Huckabee-an upset in Iowa, but a new poll out today from Insider Advantage shows his lead over Romney there having dropped from 30/15 to 23/19 in just five days. The earlier poll was probably just an outlier — see Karl’s explanation here for why — but given the national trends, I wonder. Exit question: Second look at Gary Johnson?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

If you aren’t nice to me, I am going to support your candidate next.

Do I have some kind of toxic anti-super-power to tank a candidate? Maybe I need to take one for the team and start supporting Obama?

bitsy on November 11, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Tell us what your Paypal account number is. How much cash do you need to keep supporting Perry?

You could be just like JetBoy. LOL He picks all the losers too. He wears it like a badge of honor around here!!!!!!

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Yeah, we know.

Obama never would have won without your support.

SuperCool on November 11, 2011 at 10:20 PM

And that is the sad reality.

How many here doubt that the Estabishment-types led by Karl Rove wouldn’t unload on a GOP nominee that is not Romney or Gingrich? Remember COD and Joe Miller?

Anyone-but-Obama only works for RINOs when it is a RINO/Establishment-type on the GOP ticket. That tune changes quickly when it is a conservative.

TheRightMan on November 11, 2011 at 10:26 PM

nswider on November 11, 2011 at 10:12 PM

25 percent is absolutely terrible for a well funded, well known and well publicized GOP front runner who is in his second run in six years and remains neck and neck with a political novice battling sexual harassment allegations.

Romney is weaker than McCain and Dole ever were. Even when McCain was rock bottom in the polls, he still had one issue where he stood out from the pack (his early support of the successful Petraeus surge) while Romney has no such bold stance to catapult him to the nomination.

Daemonocracy on November 11, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Dude, I am totally f***ing cursed.

My picks:
Giuliani (2007 – 08)
Romney (2008) (instead of McCain)
McCain (2008) (instead of Obama)
Palin (2008-june 2011)
Perry (June 2011 – present)

If you aren’t nice to me, I am going to support your candidate next.

bitsy on November 11, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I should add, although I am embarrassed to admit it, I went for:

Anarchybecauseiamapunkrockteenagedirtbagbaby, YEAH!
Al Gore (2000)
Undecided until the last minute, went for Bush because Kerry supporters on campus were freaking psycho (2004)

However, I definitely would have picked Reagan in ’84 even though I was a preschoolers. My dad loved Reagan.

bitsy on November 11, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Daemonocracy on November 11, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Look at McCains poll numbers in 11/07 and get back to me about who is weaker between Romney and McCain. Yes Romney does have an issue, its called jobs, thats his issue thats why hes leading. 25 percent out of 8 candidates is pretty great. When you poll Romney against another candidate, he jumps to the 40s. 25 isnt his ceiling, there are many people who arent paying attention yet and waiting to see how this plays out. People are still looking around, they dont want to be told who to vote for, they want to test drive a bit. Look at Romneys favorables, they are higher then anyone elses!

nswider on November 11, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 10:24 PM

You can send your donations directly to rickperry dot org and tell ‘em bitsy sent you. They’ll know who you’re talking about.

;)

bitsy on November 11, 2011 at 10:36 PM

TheRightMan on November 11, 2011 at 10:26 PM

I would support the nominee whoever it is, for the record.

nswider on November 11, 2011 at 10:37 PM

;)

bitsy on November 11, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Why are you the only one there?

j/k LOL

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 10:38 PM

I like how easy it is, in Firefox, to stop sleazy sites from changing your window size to do a fake virus/PC scan or similar BS.

whatcat on November 11, 2011 at 10:02 PM

That’s why I started using Firefox about a year ago……….after getting about three different trojans/malware right here at HA. It took me days to get rid of the mess.

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 10:07 PM

I’ve gotten only 2 bad infections, where I had to reformat/re-install, since the late 90s. The resizing window thing was more of an annoyance since the only way to stop it otherwise was to close down the browser entirely.

whatcat on November 11, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Alright, movie time, had fun talking with all of you even the ones I disagree with (which is most of you guys, lol). Have a good night and remember, don’t take this stuff to seriously, no need to be rude to one another. I think if we all met face to face we would all get along just fine. Also, whoever the nominee is, I support wholeheartedly.

nswider on November 11, 2011 at 10:45 PM

nswider on November 11, 2011 at 10:35 PM

McCain’s numbers were low because of his support of Bush’s amnesty, but they rebounded because he stuck his neck out on a very important issue of the day and was right. He said while his numbers were in the tank that he rather lose an election than a war and that surge, which he supported long before the Bush administration got on board, saved American lives. Romney has NO such stance on a single issue that compares to McCain risking his entire candidacy on escalating an increasingly unpopular military conflict.

Romney isn’t leading on Jobs, he is clinging to his 25% because people think he can beat Obama. Perry’s jobs record destroys Romneys, as does Huntsman’s, Johnson’s and Gingrich’s. Romney has no issue that sets him apart other than that he is the safe candidate to settle on.

You deny the existence of a CLEAR ceiling that has been reported in every single poll to date. The anybody but Romney vote is the MAJORITY vote but it just so happens that this field is weak as hell. Please tell me again how Romney being tied with a pizza man and having a formerly disgraced speaker of the House hot on his heels means he is a strong candidate.

Daemonocracy on November 11, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Why are you the only one there?

j/k LOL

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Touché.

bitsy on November 11, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Daemonocracy on November 11, 2011 at 10:46 PM

If your right Romney will lose and you have nothing to worry about. Goodnight.

nswider on November 11, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Can we just get the primaries over with already?

I am really tired of arguing with all y’all. I would like to get back to my drinking while typing and bashing Obama.

bitsy on November 11, 2011 at 10:50 PM

bitsy on November 11, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Man the day I graduated high school on a warm sunny day I realized right then and there how good freedom tastes and that I was a conservative. Being free of hall passes, study halls, detention for being 10 seconds late, bathroom passes, random book bag searches, random locker searches, assigned lockers, assigned parking spaces on assigned days and the constant scrutiny of my every move within the confines of the school was a liberating experience. How any kid can vote liberal once escaping high school makes no sense to me.

I voted Bush in 2000 and 2004 while in college. Fiscally, he was a major disappointment now that I look back.

Daemonocracy on November 11, 2011 at 11:00 PM

If your right Romney will lose and you have nothing to worry about. Goodnight.

nswider on November 11, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Unfortunately I can still be right but still suffer a Romney victory because of a fractured Conservative vote.

My point is, Romney is a weak primary front runner and will be a weak general election candidate. Ford, Bush Sr., Dole and McCain has serious enthusiasm issues with the conservative base and lost and the only thing Romney has going for him is urgency to get Obama out of office. I’ll vote for him in the general, but he will be a weak and uninspiring candidate.

Daemonocracy on November 11, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Perry/Rubio 2012 because we need good leadership not a Vegas comedy show.

NickDeringer on November 11, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Nick -

You never fail to amuse, even when you don’t intend to. For the past two years you were bashing Sarah Palin and now you are backing an dullard who can’t remember three points nor compose a simple coherent sentence.

We certainly don’t need a comedy show when we have you.

bw222 on November 11, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Daemonocracy on November 11, 2011 at 11:00 PM

You learned fast. I considered myself a liberal until I went to college and lived with REAL liberals in that campus co-op. All this OWS stuff is giving me flashbacks to my college days, except we’ve all graduated, and they got their degrees in theater costume technology and lesbian underwater soap carving studies, and I got a degree in biochemistry.

bitsy on November 11, 2011 at 11:13 PM

….lesbian underwater soap carving studies

Roflmao!

JannyMae on November 11, 2011 at 11:19 PM

That took guts. Not terribly presidential, though.

Aronne on November 11, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Exit question: Second look at Gary Johnson?

How many second looks at different 2012 GOP candidates has Hot Air done?

People have taken a second look at a candidate, they rise in the polls and then collapse.

Face it, the only look people should take is Mitt Romney.

Conservative Samizdat on November 12, 2011 at 12:29 AM

I’m not mystified why Perry has such low favorable ratings. Perry was gonna be acceptable if he distinguished himself from the person that preceded him the Governor’s Manson….George Bush. Perry had no chance if he reminded people of what they disliked about Bush. Bush was a Texas cowboy that flubbed alot and had a hard time communicating his message. Perry flubs reminds them of Bush. Personally I like Bush and Perry. But who really wants four years of cringe-worthy moments?

terryannonline on November 12, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Really disappointed in our field. I hope we can pull a win next year. It’s gonna be hard though. I’m ready to work hard but honestly my expectations are really low now.

terryannonline on November 12, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Face it, the only look people should take is Mitt Romney.

Conservative Samizdat on November 12, 2011 at 12:29 AM

i’ll take a look at him the way I can’t help but take a look at a car crash.

The “second look” thing on Johnson is a running joke, it’s humor. The only serious and legitimate second looks are for Perry while he still has money in the bank and Gingrich who has been slowly creeping up in the polls and seems to have officially reached second look status.

Daemonocracy on November 12, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Face it, the only look people should take is Mitt Romney.

Conservative Samizdat on November 12, 2011 at 12:29 AM

We did. We don’t like what we see.

Deal with it.

SuperCool on November 12, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Its just interesting because the common message of the anti Cain folks on HotAir is that Cain is just a stalking horse for Romney because he wants to be VP. This undermines that argument a bit.

nswider on November 11, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Being a stalking horse merely means that one candidate wants another win so he helps by siphoning off votes. It doesn’t mean that that candidate wants to be Veep or anything. What Cain said today actually bolsters the stalking horse theory: Cain is more than comfortable with Romney as POTUS and is even thinking of ways that Romney can reward him for helping him win.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on November 12, 2011 at 2:55 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on November 12, 2011 at 2:55 AM

The girl who was furiously bashing Sarah Palin is now STUCK WITH HIS BOYFRIEND PERRY! Sad!

TheAlamos on November 12, 2011 at 4:58 AM

He’s also buying ad time on the three broadcast networks; NBC, CBS and…uh…uh…uh…ooops….

whatcat on November 12, 2011 at 8:02 AM