Cain: I wouldn’t be Romney’s VP — but I’d consider being his secretary of defense

posted at 10:02 pm on November 11, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, what do you think? You think the famously cautious Romney would be willing to start his term with a nasty confirmation hearing featuring lots of mud-slinging by Democrats about sexual harassment? You think a President Perry or President Gingrich would be any more eager for that? (Newt seems more inclined towards a John Bolton type, which would present problems of a different sort.) Ironically, Cain’s a better prospect for VP now than he is for a cabinet position precisely because that’s the only path to power left for him that would avoid the need for congressional approval.

Here’s a list of Romney’s foreign policy and national security advisors, incidentally. Chertoff, Hayden, Cofer Black: All respect to Cain for his Navy work, but somehow I don’t see President Mitt installing an establishment outsider atop the defense pyramid when he has a stable like that. Given his economic focus and personal charm, Cain would be better off with an ambassadorship. What about Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan? (Yes, I know, ambassadors need to be confirmed too.)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Cain will drop out and endorse Slippers Mittens.

Connie on November 11, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Sure didn’t sound that way to me. He sounded like he respects Romney’s business ability, but that he disagrees with his economic policy – so much so that he wouldn’t campaign to push it.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:49 PM

MeatHeadinCA:I just think,out of all the candidates,I like the
way he talks and handles himself,with Perry/Mittens
the MSM will have endless material to work with!:)

canopfor on November 11, 2011 at 10:47 PM

With Perry the media won’t have any material!!! /s ;)

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I still probably wouldn’t have gone with DoD … but Cain didn’t step in it here.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Nice job MeatHead. BTW he might not be so bad from the point of view of protecting a huge department from draconian budget cuts by making it more like the private sector using private sector solutions. Not to mention his expertise in computer science and information systems.

txmomof6 on November 11, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Cain will drop out and endorse Slippers Mittens.

Connie on November 11, 2011 at 10:46 PM

You didn’t listen to it either I see.

Thanks for playing though.

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Here’s the whole interview for people interested in seeing how deceptive Allapundit is

milemarker2020 on November 11, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Cain disgusts me. He’s qualified to run a pizza operation and make dumb speeches … and not much else.

Jaibones on November 11, 2011 at 10:52 PM

txmomof6 on November 11, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Personally, I hope DoD gets some well-needed cuts. I hope Cain could be someone to wisely administer that (though, he’d bet better as President).

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:52 PM

It was a radio interview and a hypothetical question. Did you listen to the audio instead of just read the actual post?

MikeM on November 11, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Yes, I did. Did you listen to the full interview?

Cain was billed to make a major announcement, and Savage leads off the interview by asking Cain if he would be willing to serve as vice president for one of the other candidates. You don’t find that rather odd?

Lawdawg86 on November 11, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Allapundit you are irrelevant. You’re hit post won’t stop the Cain Train. You reveal your impotence in having to distort a radio interviewer’s hypothetical question. And for those in this comment section who somehow hate Herman Cain, I feel sorry for you all. How could anyone who is conservative hate Herman Cain? Seriously.

milemarker2020 on November 11, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Geez… seriously this schtick of trying to blame AllahP and Hot Air for every article that doesn’t appear to be favorable to one’s candidate is getting old.

He raises the topics, we discuss. It’s as simple as that. I happen to disagree with many on this forum with respect to candidate choices. But I love the debates although it does get heated at times.

So try it, milemarker2020, join in the debate and quit blaming the moderators. If you think Cain is being treated unfairly, what should Romney and his supporters say about how they are treated on most right-leaning blogs?

TheRightMan on November 11, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Jaibones on November 11, 2011 at 10:52 PM

The NRA disagreed.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Ugh…

Why does Cain do this to himself?

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Do what? Answer a question when he was asked and not think of triangulating it like a poltician. Oh wait. Let me guess. You, like others, didn’t actually listen to the clip, did you….you just read what was posted. Oh, right. Secondary sources are always more accurate than primary sources I guess.

Obama 2012 because he is a fiscally conservative.

MikeM on November 11, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Then Cain is a huge flip-flopper. He was a strong Romney supporter in 2008.

swamp_yankee on November 11, 2011 at 10:54 PM

He raises the topics, we discuss.

TheRightMan on November 11, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Yet you’re not discussing the content of the interview. Notice neither you nor AP are providing a transcript of the rattling admission by Cain. Why is that?

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Obama 2012 because he is a fiscally conservative.

MikeM on November 11, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I stepped in it (not as bad as Perry). After listening to the audio, I agree that this is much ado about nothing.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Showing your arse again? Trying listening before bloviating with your same old tired crap. It makes you look more foolish than you already are.

Tee Hee Hee

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 10:43 PM

LOL… Knuckle, I am this close to filing sexual harassment charges against you. AllahP, any ideas on who I should file with?

TheRightMan on November 11, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Then Cain is a huge flip-flopper. He was a strong Romney supporter in 2008.

swamp_yankee on November 11, 2011 at 10:54 PM

And he still respects Romney and would support him if he got the nomination; however, Cain does not support Romney’s economic plan, for example.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Lawdawg86 on November 11, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Could that have been a lead in made up by Savage? And for the record there was never any “breaking Herman Cain to make major announcement” over on Drudge either. Just a blip about him saying he’d doubted he’d accept the VP slot for Romney, which was taken from the Cavuto interview this afternoon, which was also a hypothetical question.

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 10:58 PM

TheRightMan on November 11, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Sure looks like you wish she was “sexually assaulting” you.

Knucks, I hope the new dog recognizes when creeps pull in the driveway.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Cain was joking, folks!

Sec of Defense because Cain having to defend himself so aggressively against the female accusers.

lol. Pretty good, Mr. Cain!

purgatory on November 11, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Cain was joking, folks!

lol. Pretty good, Mr. Cain!

purgatory on November 11, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I wouldn’t go that far. Cain used it as an example to demonstrate what a Cain foreign policy might look like.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 11:00 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Geez… thou dost complain too much. Since when did content matter? I thought it was all about appearance. At least, that is what I have been told about Perry.

His successful governing record matters not, only how he debates.

You did a good job of distilling the interview but it still does not answer why Cain will be willing to work in any capacity in a Romney administration. Isn’t Romney supposed to be conservatives’ greatest fear?

TheRightMan on November 11, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Sure looks like you wish she was “sexually assaulting” you.

Knucks, I hope the new dog recognizes when creeps pull in the driveway.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I am actually outside your door.

(Knock… knock…)

TheRightMan on November 11, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Asked whether he would eliminate any departments if he became president, Cain responded, “I wouldn’t approach it that way. … I would do an across-the-board cut of 10 percent of every agency, except for Defense. I would review that to see if we’ve got the right priorities. Then each of my new Cabinet heads, I would then ask them to find another 10 percent by doing a deep dive. You have to go into each department and find programs that are outdated, obsolete, a conflict with some of our other programs. Once we do that, some departments may be totally gone. But I don’t want to make that judgment without looking down in the belly of each one of these.”

He said he expects his administration would cut costs by at least 20 percent in his first year “because we’re going to go at it the same way a businessman would go about cutting

From the same interview with Savage according to WND. Be still my fiscal heart.

txmomof6 on November 11, 2011 at 11:03 PM

TheRightMan on November 11, 2011 at 10:53 PM

The funny thing is I just finished listening to that interview in total before I came onto Hotair.com. Then i see this post and I am just besides myself. I read the headline and then the post and I can’t believe it. So I said what I said and I stand by it. It’s a hit post. It took what Cain said out of context. Cain was responding to a hypothetical and not necessarily all centered on Romney. For whatever reason Savage wanted to talk about that.

To me it doesn’t indict Cain, it shows his confidence. He is confident enough that he’s not afraid to answer a hypothetical because he knows he’s competing for POTUS. He knows the work and hours he’s putting in. He’s not worried about people’s perception. And that’s why I support him.

If you listen to that interview you will not leave that interview believing Cain wants to be SECDEF for Romney but not VP. NO, you will understand Cain is all in to being POTUS and he’ll be a damn good one. And by the end of that interview he had Savage sold.

milemarker2020 on November 11, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Sure looks like you wish she was “sexually assaulting” you.

Knucks, I hope the new dog recognizes when creeps pull in the driveway.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I don’t have the pooch yet, training is not going well because it was so tuned into it’s previous owners voice and commands and misses him so much. In other words, the dog is depressed :(

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Perry has a problem. He can’t/won’t convey any content during a nationally televised debate. You decide which, I just know that for a “compromise candidate,” I could do much better than little Ricky Perry.

His successful governing record matters not, only how he debates.

No, that’s not true. You’re deflecting from Perry’s many other fumbles. If Perry was some Goldwater conservative that just froze up during debates, I might be more sympathetic. The mans a big government “conservative” that can’t debate well – oh great!

TheRightMan on November 11, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Well, Cain never claimed Romney was conservatives’ greatest fear. What he clearly stated was that he didn’t agree with, for example, Mitt Romney’s economic plan. When it comes to foreign policy, one might conclude (reasonably) that Cain does not disagree with Romney. This isn’t very hard. You just have to use some comprehension skills and such.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 11:06 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:56 PM

You have recovered quite nicely I may add! I Salute you!

After listening to the clip, you made some excellent points. I am not certain if this supposed “big announcement” on Drudge or something has thrown everyone off or something. I did not hear it at all. I am going to listen to the entire interview. I like Michael Savage a lot. This guy really just let’s the questions fly. Plus, he is banned from the U.K. so he cannot be all that bad! He, like myself, finds Cain refreshing. Does Cain have his faults? Sure. But it just fires me up when a person reads something and just assumes it is the truth.

I thought all the people that posted on HotAir were our best and brightest! Just sad that people read the first paragraph or something and start ripping into Cain without listening to the audio.

Maybe Conservatives do eat their young? :)

MikeM on November 11, 2011 at 11:07 PM

I am actually outside your door.

(Knock… knock…)

TheRightMan on November 11, 2011 at 11:02 PM

No third knock?

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Tee Hee Hee

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 10:43 PM

TheRightMan on November 11, 2011 at 10:56 PM

That was funny.

MikeM on November 11, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Hope it all works out for you.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 11:09 PM

MikeM on November 11, 2011 at 11:07 PM

You got to ask yourself this about this faux controversy. Could someone cut up that audio and even get close to what AP got out of that? Uhhhh… wow, you’d really have to chop it up.

After, as it would appear, weathering a hack job from some poor, helpless St Anita juniors, this was not yet another weak point in his campaign.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 10:58 PM

For the record, there was. It linked to this article: http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=366901

Drudge then changed it from “Cain to make ‘major announcement’” to “Cain: I would not want to be Romney’s VP”

Lawdawg86 on November 11, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Cain was joking, folks!

lol. Pretty good, Mr. Cain!

purgatory on November 11, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Good point. Maybe put Cain in charge of the anti-ballistic missile defense then? (Your thought had me thiking of that classic video game “Missile command” where all the bombs are heading towards your several cities and you are sending off trillions of rockets to stop them). If Cain wins the Presidency, at least have him give oversight of that agency then!

MikeM on November 11, 2011 at 11:15 PM

TheRightMan on November 11, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Gloria Allred isn’t very busy right now. Try her.

katy the mean old lady on November 11, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Gloria Allred isn’t very busy right now. Try her.

katy the mean old lady on November 11, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Not true. I heard she’s very busy representing the last of the Perry Team … they feel as though they’ve been sideswiped by the rest of the Republican Party – damnit! Perry’s not even the strongest Texan to emerge in the pack.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Sure looks like you wish she was “sexually assaulting” you.

Knucks, I hope the new dog recognizes when creeps pull in the driveway.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Sorry to hear that man. Keep at it!

MikeM on November 11, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Cain endorsed Romney in 2008, said Bush was too conservative for him in 2000, and will eagerly endorse Romney this time around should he slip in the polls and exit the race; especially if Perry is still in it because Cain seems to hate Perry: he has attacked him 3 times saying he’d never be his V.P., stoked the racist rock fire in that ABC interview and allowed Block to twice shift the blame for the sexual harassment smear to the Perry campaign with no evidence and when all signs point to Chicago as its origination.

Cain will endorse Romney, Bachmann will definitely endorse Romney, Santorum will endorse Romney just as he endorsed Arlen Specter over Toomey and Huntsman will endorse Romney. Paul won’t endorse anyone and Gingrich will endorse whoever gives him the best deal unless he is the nominee himself of course. The only guy other than Paul I see not endorsing Romney would be Rick Perry who would most likely endorse Gingrich over Romney if that is what it comes down to.

Daemonocracy on November 11, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Lawdawg86 on November 11, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Sounds like advertising hype to me. You know, the get people to listen? And Drudge probably figured that out too, if he took it down that fast.

Cain talked about not wanting to be Romney’s VP on Cavuto this afternoon in a hypothetical question kind of like AP twisting this story around to make it look like Cain made some huge blunder.

More from the interview

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 11:20 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Snort! “Sideswiped” ? Is it kinky?

katy the mean old lady on November 11, 2011 at 11:22 PM

From the same interview with Savage according to WND. Be still my fiscal heart.

txmomof6 on November 11, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Cain might have too much common sense to be an elected official.

MikeM on November 11, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Gloria Allred isn’t very busy right now. Try her.

katy the mean old lady on November 11, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Pretty amazing that the Gloria Alred being eaten alive by Hannity never showed up here today, along with the skank Sharon Bialeks fiance telling the whole world he’s not the skanks fiance anymore.

HA indicted Herman Cain and is now ignoring the fact that the story the ladies were telling are now falling apart and that there will be no big press conference.

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 11:27 PM

MikeM on November 11, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Agreed. One of the first things he said that appealed to me was,?the first thing you have to do to solve a problem is identify what the problem is.” He seems to be able to assess and specifically identify problems then come up with his idea of the best solution. That was what bugged me the most about the whole healthcare debate. Nobody ever identified the specific problem they wanted to attack. They just said, Healthcare is broken. It was a moving target and we got a mess that we may never get out of.

txmomof6 on November 11, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Snort! “Sideswiped” ? Is it kinky?

katy the mean old lady on November 11, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Aslan’s girl was at a Perry rally (you know, opo research) and as Herman Cain walked by, one of his supporters accidentally bumped into the bosom of the woman next to her … that’s a sideswipe.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Gloria Allred isn’t very busy right now. Try her.

katy the mean old lady on November 11, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Stop getting into things like facts and important information. It simplifies things too much when trying to make a competent decision.

Remember, when Newt starts getting crazy stuff thrown at him to destroy him as well (such as he’s Chaz Bono’s real father), remember, don’t go looking for the facts.

MikeM on November 11, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I gotta say that there seems to be this attitude that because Herman Cain didn’t play by the rules, certain people working for HA have taken it upon themselves to correct for this.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 11:37 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 11:35 PM

grrrr Cain rally.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 11:38 PM

I gather by the comments noone listened to the audio.
txmomof6 on November 11, 2011 at 10:13 PM

What? Expect the sheeple listen and analyze on their own? I’m not sure what is more disheartening: AP’s cheap comment trolling headline analysis or so many lazy HA commenters who blindly go with the narrative.

But great job summarizing the situation as it truly unfolded, MeatheadCA!

TWG78 on November 11, 2011 at 11:39 PM

txmomof6 on November 11, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Very good point. It must be his analytical mind and training that has him focused on understanding the problem first- a trait any business man really needs to have.

Right now, the MSM is trying to prop up Newt and make him the rising star… trying to make the race more dynamic and push people’s buttons (for higher ratings) even though Cain’s support has dropped only slightly. This data has been taken, I believe, BEFORE his press conference. I believe (though I could be wrong) that Cain’s numbers will barely go down any further, and if anything, they will increase in a week or two once everyone realises that this was a great hit piece on him. For those that haven’t 5 minute introduction to Cain’s press conference by his attorney, it is well worth watching. He hits all these sexual allegations right on the head. Just like Mark Levin did on his show.

Cain is not going anywhere and will probably only get stronger as a candidate. We will see if more garbage gets thrown at him and whether the public is smart enough and willing enough to sift through the garbage for the truth.

MikeM on November 11, 2011 at 11:48 PM

One position for Cain – HUD

Let him revamp the entire dept, put his empowerment zones in place and go to war with the ACORN octopus.

budfox on November 11, 2011 at 11:52 PM

I gather by the comments noone listened to the audio.
txmomof6 on November 11, 2011 at 10:13 PM

But great job summarizing the situation as it truly unfolded, MeatheadCA!

TWG78 on November 11, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Definitely.

MikeM on November 11, 2011 at 11:52 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 11:37 PM

It’s just not here at HA, it’s everywhere. I bet I’ve seen about 6 or 7 different segments on Fox just today about “everybody has a brain fart once in a while, it’s normal, forget about it”.

The LSM and most of the blogs are trying so hard now to try and make us think the right way. But I’m sorry, I’ve seen more than one brain fart from Rick Perry in the debates to make up my own mind without other people making excuses for him.

But not a word anywhere about the “Herman Cain is a dirty old man” story that is falling apart.

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 11:52 PM

MikeM on November 11, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Yes, I did. Did you listen to the full interview?

Lawdawg86 on November 11, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Hey, thank you for the post of the audio (15 minutes of it). Who billed the announcement? Cain? Maybe that Cain is not Romney’s puppet based on his answer like some believed?

MikeM on November 12, 2011 at 12:02 AM

In the process, rancor and jibes aside, we are indeed vetting our candidates in the light of day. Not bad for most of us having anti-social personality disorders.

One thing about all the candidates I’d like to see answered is who they would place in various White House and Cabinet positions and why? [If they could pick and chose, and for arguments sake, never mind the Congressional hearings stuff.]

Also like to hear more concrete solutions. That 10% Executive Branch cut the first day in office and another 10% the next week or so idea has merit. It works in the real world when a business is all fouled up.

Talking in vagaries, “we must bring all the people together,” or “we need to work harder”…don’t cut it.

We need leadership and a good head for what is important, and in what direction we need to set our sails, and a leader who has the the ability to delegate authority but never responsibility.

If any of us actually believe what we need is a perfect candidate who can walk on water, cause the oceans to recede and make unicorns, rainbows and skittles abound merely because he wills it…well we have one of those in the White House right now.

Not working out so well, is it?

I also want a candidate I can trust. My children and grandchildren depend on it. if what a candidate says is what they say and mean, and not spun into some unrecognizable alibi at a later date, then I can take another look.

If I cannot trust them, and they appear to be more concerned with pandering than leading, they’ll never appear on my list…ever.

coldwarrior on November 12, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Definitely, HA included.

txmomof6 on November 12, 2011 at 12:07 AM

coldwarrior on November 12, 2011 at 12:03 AM
Well said. I would also add it is important for the county’s psyche to have someone who is an enthusiastic cheerleader for what makes America great and what has made it great.

txmomof6 on November 12, 2011 at 12:11 AM

txmomof6 on November 12, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Like that guy who defeated Carter? :-)

coldwarrior on November 12, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Like that guy who defeated Carter? :-)

coldwarrior on November 12, 2011 at 12:14 AM

And who exactly has that much going for him/her right now? A diamond in the rough?

Knucklehead on November 12, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Knucklehead on November 12, 2011 at 12:17 AM

A lot depends on the answer(s) to the question I posed, above.

I could become a Cainanite.

Remember, back in ’79 and ’80, on the GOP side, Reagan was almost an afgter thought…Howard Baker and Phil Crane were the policy wonks…John Anderson was some sort of appeal to all comers candidate…and Lowell Weicker was a favorite among the elites, professional politicians, pundits and the deep thinkers.

Reagan’s serious ascendency among voters took place when he told the League of Women Voters lady “I paid for this microphone!”

We’ve a ways to go before the primaries and a bit more till Election day.

Sure hope we can find a candidate with the chops, and the willingness to lead, and the ability to say “This is my microphone. I paid for this microphone” when the time comes.

coldwarrior on November 12, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I noticed that there wasn’t even a Hot Air headline about Ms. Bialek’s not really living with the fiance that Alred/Bialek kept talking about on the media road show…let alone a post..

And I am still waiting for a sharp analysis of the new RomneyCare death panels from Ed or Allah…

kringeesmom on November 12, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Hot Air is reporting all sides:

One Cain accuser has money problems, the other filed a job complaint against another employer

Block acted like an idiot multiple times in response, the Cain campaign came across as unprepared after being warned a week in advance, the accusers have credibility issues and even Howard Stern is skeptical.

Hot Air has reported all of this.

Daemonocracy on November 12, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Hot Air has reported all of this.

Daemonocracy on November 12, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Where’s the story about Bialek not living with the fiance, (the one she told the whole world she was living with) did I miss it?

kringeesmom on November 12, 2011 at 12:38 AM

kringeesmom on November 12, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Hot Air has torn Romney to shreds many times already. They posted about the Romneycare death panels in the headlines.

Hot Air is no friend to Romney or Romneycare which why we see so much whining from Romney supporters about how “biases” Hot Air is against him. Well duh, Hot Air is a conservative blog and Romney is not a conservative.

Daemonocracy on November 12, 2011 at 12:42 AM

kringeesmom on November 12, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Who knows, maybe they’re late posting, or are you suggesting Hot Air is out to get Cain and deliberately ignoring the story?

Daemonocracy on November 12, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Coldwarrior – I hope we get that moment. The history of the American people is on our side. When they are paying attention they usually have good sense.

txmomof6 on November 12, 2011 at 12:45 AM

coldwarrior on November 12, 2011 at 12:26 AM

You have a better memory than I do. In 1979/80 I was busy being pregnant with my second kid, digging in the sand in Sakkara, Egypt working on my Phd that everyone said I couldn’t do including my parents who refused to pay for my initial entrance into college in 1969 because that’s not what women did back then.

I’ve been in the real estate business, started a business with 2 kids, 2 lawn mowers and a snow blower and built it into a successful enterprise, all the while as I was appraising homes for one of the largest banks in America.

I can relate to Herman Cain and admire his tenacity. I’ve been in his shoes, albeit a woman in a man’s world. He makes me smile and gives me hope for my country like none of the other candidates do.

Knucklehead on November 12, 2011 at 12:47 AM

coldwarrior on November 12, 2011 at 12:03 AM

You can’t. Don’t trust any of them. Politicians all make promises they can’t keep, yet we vote for them based on those promises. None of these candidates will be the same person if they are elected. We have to have a president so I have to vote for one of them. Whoever it is, I won’t trust him and I’m certainly not going to get emotionally involved in supporting them in the primaries. They all want to be president for one reason. That’s where the ultimate power is.

a capella on November 12, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Daemonocracy on November 12, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Not at all, but they were right on top of the feeding frenzy when the accusations were running rampant…

As for the RomneyCare death panels, it’s a pretty big story, it had a lot of comments, and I would like to see Ed/Allah weigh in on it.

kringeesmom on November 12, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Whether intentional or not, Cain may have struck upon the best conservatives can expect this cycle: specific commitments from Romney as to policy and course of action on the fiscal crisis in exchange for full support in the general campaign. In fact, some of the details of what will actually be needed immediately when the next President is sworn in, such as significant reductions in federal payrolls, are better left in the shadows.

If we could take Cain’s direct speaking and advocacy of free enterprise, Perry’s practical experience with legislatures and governance, Gingrich’s command of history and policy, and Romney’s ability to cut what needs cutting to turn around failing enterprises and personal charm, and put them altogether, we’d really have something. Something almost like Ronald Reagan.

Unfortunately, we will have to settle for only one component. Each of the potentials has liabilities in both political and substantive areas. It ain’t a perfect world and we won’t have a perfect candidate.

But if we nominate Gary Johnson’s neighbor’s dog’s poop, I will vote for it over Obama. Enthusiastically.

Adjoran on November 12, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Name a department with some serious budget issues, that needs a lot of housecleaning to run efficeintly, that is fraught with fraud and abuse,that has a whole lot of potential corruption-good old boy networking, that is mired in projects over budget and behind schedule, that could use the hand of systems analyst with a corporate business background……Does the DoD come to your mind? Maybe it comes to Herman’s mind as needing a whole lot of attention,which isn’t a bad thing at all.

kringeesmom on November 12, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Knucklehead on November 12, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Me too, and I love how he is shaking things up, and doing it his own way…

kringeesmom on November 12, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Knucklehead on November 12, 2011 at 12:47 AM

In ’79-80 I had just gotten out of a good number of years in the Army, had returned to college with a wife and kid in tow…and got involved in campus politics…was a Reaganite before most of the crowd was…to their delight. They’d give me grief daily until that “microphone” moment.

Sakkara? Stepped pyramid and all that? Made it out to Egypt a few times in the ’90′s. Was a wonderful country, lived local as I could, much to the consternation of my higher ups. From the elegance of the Semiramis Hotel in Cairo down to the little forgotten towns like Masa Muthra out on the coast. Still relish and remember my first scotch, neat, ordered at the bar at Shepheard’s…just like the old colonial times, I suppose.

Yes, we do need a cheerleader again…and badly.

Saw earlier today where more Americans approve of Bibi Netanyahu than they do Obama. Says a lot. We are a confused, almost lost, Nation these days.

coldwarrior on November 12, 2011 at 12:59 AM

coldwarrior on November 12, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Thank you for your service..

kringeesmom on November 12, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Hot Air has reported all of this.

Daemonocracy on November 12, 2011 at 12:34 AM

I’m sorry, but they haven’t. This story kind of blows holes in Bialeks and Gloria Alred’s story.

‘Fiancé’ of Cain Accuser Now ‘Ex-Fiancé’

That interview was on the 5:00 news, on Thursday, out of Chicago and picked up early this morning by Fox.

And why not show us the video of Hannity catching Gloria Alred in a few whoppers last night? Or the fact that the big tell all 4 gal press conference was canceled? And the Anne Coulter piece about the Axelrod/Chicago connection to all of these smears? Hidden in the headlines. The Steve Dahl interview here in Chicago to show that Sharon Bialek has issues about telling the truth? Never saw it here, did you?

HA has not reported everything. And this post by AP is intellectually dishonest if you listen to the entire interview instead of the bits and pieces that we’ve been shown. I’d post the links to all of those stories above, but the filters will eat the post. Google is your friend.

Knucklehead on November 12, 2011 at 1:07 AM

kringeesmom on November 12, 2011 at 1:06 AM

You’re welcome.

My youngest boy is heading for his third tour with the Marines…and my favorite nephew is commanding a Marine fire base out in Helmand at the moment. Both of them Marines. Both had dad’s who were Army. Guess both of them had better fashion sense. :-)

They are some of the kids who help me keep faith in our future.

coldwarrior on November 12, 2011 at 1:10 AM

They are some of the kids who help me keep faith in our future.

coldwarrior on November 12, 2011 at 1:10 AM

So very true… prayers up for your boys to fight hard and be safe…. Plenty of military service in my family, most branches represented, no Marines though.. My 9 year old dtr tells me she wants to drive a tank and is interested in dynamite, so maybe she’s the one.

kringeesmom on November 12, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Master of foreign policy, Herman Cain? Uh, I think that pizza’s a little underdone, dude.

Ronnie on November 12, 2011 at 1:19 AM

coldwarrior on November 12, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Yes, that Sakkara, me, my fat self, and my steadfast digging teaspoon, which is now under glass along with my diploma. It truly was a charming country, dirty, but charming and when people hear me say that, they think I’ve lost my mind. And there is no place like Cairo, filthy, donkey carts and cars with no headlights, smoking sheesha….all of it crazy, but fun. I was last there 2007 and I’m afraid it will be my last. How sad? I hope that it can be fixed so I can go back one last time.

BTW, I went back to Prague again in September.

Knucklehead on November 12, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Knucklehead on November 11, 2011 at 11:52 PM

It is comments like these that galls me and sets me on edge.

Of course everybody has a brain fart once in a while, and Rick Perry’s was blown out of proportion. Are our leaders not allowed to be human? /fuming

But you can bet that not everybody gets a SH complaint filed against them, not to talk of four or five complaints with respect to Cain.

I also take offense at the implication in your comment that Perry is the Establishment candidate. WTF? Has any other candidate been piled on the way he was? Cain only recently got a taste of pile-on with his SH cases but Perry has been beat on since day 1.

And last I checked, most of the so-called “conservative” Not-Romneys we have running appear to be ready to endorse him for the right “pay”. Only Perry has been principled in his stand against him. Only Perry and, to a limited extent, Santorum have attacked Romney.

You will certainly live to rue the day you joined up with your fellow Cainiacs and bitter Palinistas to declare Perry as being something aside a hard-working conservative Governor.

Remember I told you first when the eventual nominee (even if not Perry) goes around citing the successful job records in Texas vs. Obama in the general.

Arguing for your candidate is okay but don’t smear another candidate dishonestly.

TheRightMan on November 12, 2011 at 1:24 AM

TheRightMan on November 12, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Like you haven’t been doing that for weeks with Herman Cain? Pissing on his grave with your “Tee Hee Hee” remarks last week when the story broke? Would you like me to dig them up so they can see the light of day again?

Rick Perry had brain fart the the other night and it wasn’t the first foul up he’s made in a debate. That is not smearing, that is the truth. I may be losing my eyesight, but I can still see somewhat and my ears are working just fine.

Your hypocrisy and childishness is breathtaking.

Tee Hee Hee………yes, your trademark.

Knucklehead on November 12, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Tee Hee Hee………yes, your trademark.

Knucklehead on November 12, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Game/Set/Match

My Cain accuser tally is as follows:
1. Kara (whatever her name is,to lazy to look) settled for 45K (won’t say what happened but it was monsterous)
2. Unknown woman settled for 35K (won’t come forward at all)
3. Bialek – grope in the car (story is falling apart)
4. Unknown drunk woman at a hotel who only mentioned it 15 years later may have been seen by the Witness Wilson (the Perry guy)
5. The harassing dinner invitation.

Is that how your count looks?

kringeesmom on November 12, 2011 at 1:51 AM

OK, now everyone stampedes to Newt. I give it two weeks until his multiple time adultery escapades get front page.

Seriously Hot Air, this is getting ridiculous.

scotash on November 12, 2011 at 2:24 AM

The implosion is complete.

What a fraud.

Biggest winner in all of this?

Newt Gingrich.

The Stop Romney vote is now his for the taking.

Who’da thunk it after that train wreck of a launch he went through?

SuperCool on November 12, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Dang, heard Savage’s voice and had to stop the clip. I cannot listen to that inflammatory tool.

exdeadhead on November 12, 2011 at 5:18 AM

“From front running outsider to looking for a job with a possible establishment administration.

The implosion is complete.

What a fraud.

SuperCool on November 12, 2011 at 2:50 AM”

Desperate moron above promoting himself as SuperCool
The implosion is complete
What a fraud! FIFY!!!!

So sad with all the desperation around here, the man was simply asked a question. I don’t mind Newt Gingrich, but the man is inherently dishonest. You know why he sat on the couch with Princess Nancy, it is not because he believed in Global Warming. He just thought the public believed it, so why fight it. The guy is brilliant mind you and has more understanding of policy than any of the others running. I just know not to trust people like this!

Tearing down Herman Cain won’t help your candidate, they simply have to fight for it. He has one of weakest political machines, the MSM trying to lynch him and and a yapping idiot Mark Block running his campaign. If your candidate can’t defeat a his campaign, then they need to step up their game.

Africanus on November 12, 2011 at 6:22 AM

Is that how your count looks?

kringeesmom on November 12, 2011 at 1:51 AM

A good starting list. There might be more but I guess we’ll never know because Cainiacs will go nuts on any accuser stepping forward and their man is being pulled down by his own missteps.

TheRightMan on November 12, 2011 at 6:50 AM

Not that amnesty-lovin’ X-ray scanner-sellin’ jagoff.

Romney needs to do better than failed retreads from W’s admin. Who’s next? Paulsen? Please.

fiatboomer on November 12, 2011 at 6:51 AM

txmomof6 on November 11, 2011 at 11:03 PM

The 10% across-the-board is a nice position and start… but beyond the 10% that is the Gingrich six sigma WFA stuff he should also flip it around to something like this: Find me the 10% of your department or agency that actually does something productive that I can defend. The part that adheres to the Constitution and not just Congressional authorization to exist.

Our government is so top-heavy, so regulatory crazy that finding a 10% useful part that is Constitutional is the hard task… 10% across-the-board the easy task. It is the follow-up to doing a WFA sort of thing and finding out it doesn’t work, as it didn’t for Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, it is that which is worrying. Listen to Gingrich too long and you think it is just an efficiency problem. It isn’t, it is a size, scope and power of government problem that isn’t amenable to fixes at the top (WFA) but to the government departments themselves having such authority in the first place. It is for this set of positions I applaud Ron Paul, no matter how much he goes off his meds on foreign policy, he has this part that I am in agreement with. Gov. Perry could pick up on that and push Amendment X positions about the entire government outside of what is mentioned in the Constitution, but so far he hasn’t picked up his prior rhetoric.

It is this that really gives me heartache in voting for the current top 3: it isn’t a management question any more, but one of the infringement of our personal liberties by an authoritarian government. Anyone who wants to leave the structure of the current government in place is getting a hard time selling their position with me. If a candidate really wanted to do something novel, it would be to say that their first order is to get Congress to pass law that requires the re-authorization of every non-constitutionally mentioned organization within the federal government. That would hit all the discretionary budget, including entitlements. Then it only takes one obstinate house of Congress or one President with a veto that can be held to stop keeping this stuff. We used to run our Nation this way in the federal side of things, until some Presidents decided the government needed additional and permanent adornments. That mindset is the problem.

ajacksonian on November 12, 2011 at 6:58 AM

The implosion is complete.

What a fraud.

Biggest winner in all of this?

Newt Gingrich.

The Stop Romney vote is now his for the taking.

Who’da thunk it after that train wreck of a launch he went through?

SuperCool on November 12, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Gingrich will enjoy a bump for up to probably two weeks and then it will swing back to Perry as conservatives begin to assess whether they can live with his weaknesses or not.

I would continue to focus on the ground game, however, if I were Perry. The national polls do not mean a thing aapart from giving whoever is the frontrunner an appearance of momentum.

TheRightMan on November 12, 2011 at 7:05 AM

If Panetta can do it, who can’t? So it isn’t about jobs, jobs, jobs or economic recovery at all with Cain except through war. If not CinC, then Sec/Defense. BEAMER 999.

maverick muse on November 12, 2011 at 7:37 AM

ajacksonian on November 12, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Well put.

maverick muse on November 12, 2011 at 7:43 AM

“There might be more but I guess we’ll never know because Cainiacs will go nuts on any accuser stepping forward and their man is being pulled down by his own missteps.

TheRightMan on November 12, 2011 at 6:50 AM”

Lol, he isn’t being pulled down by his own mis steps, that’s the point. His campaign was wandering out in the wilderness from the beginning until his surge. He was pulled down slightly by the MSM lyching that recently took place, it’s just that it failed because there is no Grand Wizard in the GOP telling him to quit. The same people who are wondering why Perry doesn’t quit. Gingrich should quit too along with Bachman and Romney. Leaving the most qualified John Huntsman to sail into the lead and quietly lose to his master.

Cainiacs, is that a term for the people you hope will vote for your candidate after you insult them???

Africanus on November 12, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Biggest winner in all of this?
Newt Gingrich.
The Stop Romney vote is now his for the taking.
Who’da thunk it after that train wreck of a launch he went through?
SuperCool on November 12, 2011 at 2:50 AM

To coin a phrase – it’s not how well you start, but how well you finish that matters.

whatcat on November 12, 2011 at 8:17 AM

If Newt wants Bolton on his team then maybe I can forget the princess Nancy P. loveseat lovefest.

I am in the following clubs: ABM (anyone but Mitt) and ABO (Anyone but Obama).

IMHO

mechkiller_k on November 12, 2011 at 8:18 AM

A better answer would have been that I don’t deal in what ifs. I’m in it to win it.

Kissmygrits on November 12, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Hot Air has reported all of this.

Daemonocracy on November 12, 2011 at 12:34 AM

‘Fiancé’ of Cain Accuser Now ‘Ex-Fiancé’

Knucklehead on November 12, 2011 at 1:07 AM

I am also very disappointed in Hot Air. This is not right.

tinkerthinker on November 12, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Jaibones on November 11, 2011 at 10:52 PM

The NRA disagreed.

MeatHeadinCA on November 11, 2011 at 10:53 PM

I think all of them should be able to let the system play out. We still have the right to vote express yourself in the voting booth.

wi farmgirl on November 12, 2011 at 9:45 AM

ajacksonian on November 12, 2011 at 6:58 AM
Agreed. I have often thought there should be a Sunset law type process for the Feds similar to what we had years ago here in Texas. Every State agency had to go through review and justify itself and its budget or face automatic elimination.

txmomof6 on November 12, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Herman Cain is WOEFULLY unqualified for the role of SECDEF.

Tell us another joke there Hermie.

HondaV65 on November 12, 2011 at 9:59 AM

I am also very disappointed in Hot Air. This is not right.

tinkerthinker on November 12, 2011 at 8:29 AM

It’s getting a bit tiring hearing guys like you and Knucklehead cry like bi**es because HotAir won’t pump up your obviously unqualified gaffe machine known as Herman Cain.

I mean seriously – if you’re that disappointed just “vote with your feet” and leave. But this constant crying is very unappealing and makes you guys look quite effeminate.

Deal with life man.

HondaV65 on November 12, 2011 at 10:02 AM

… and if I had some eggs, I’d have steak and eggs, if I had some steak.

Lawdawg86 on November 12, 2011 at 10:22 AM