posted at 9:11 pm on November 11, 2011 by Allahpundit

Finally, an explanation for why tea-party rallies are so depraved while Occupy protests are run shipshape. Looks like we all owe Martin Bashir an apology for doubting him.

Baby, when the University of Tampa drops some science on you, you can take it to the bank.

The paper, by University of Tampa professor Marcus Arvan, claims to find “significant” correlations between key antisocial personality traits and bedrock conservative views, like opposition to gay marriage and support for capital punishment. Specifically, the research claims to find elements of narcissism, psychopathy and Machiavellianism, also described as “deception,” among test subjects…

“The results should at least be a bit disturbing in a certain kind of way,” Arvan told FoxNews.com…

He said the correlation was strongest on social issues, less so on economic positions. For instance, the study claimed opposition to gay marriage correlated with psychopathy

The study itself also clarified that exhibiting the traits is not necessarily indicative of a mental disorder, nor is it indicative of “morally bad” behavior. The study noted that narcissism can be positive to an extent, since it can “steel people against criticism and lead people to persevere in the face of long odds.”

Arvan declined to expound more broadly on the implications of his research, saying only that the research could raise questions “about the genesis” of some conservative judgments.

He described himself as a fiscal conservative and social liberal, and added, “This raises certain questions to me about my own view.”

Well, there you go. The guy’s psychotic. And, per the part about gay marriage, so is Obama, I guess. Study: Confirmed.

Apropos of nothing, via Breitbart TV, here’s a bunch of extremely non-psychotic liberals at Occupy Portland giving up twinkles to the idea that no one should report a sexual assault to the police unless the victim says so. I’m going to call that “The Sandusky Standard” in honor of the man of the hour. Exit question: If we’re looking to explain the real difference between tea-party rallies and Occupy protests, doesn’t this study pretty much cover it?

Comments

Specifically, the research claims to find elements of narcissism, psychopathy and Machiavellianism, also described as “deception,” among test subjects [with conservative views]

Absurd. The truth is, conservatives are as far from narcissism and psychopathy as you can get. I think of the story of someone who was concerned about the trustworthiness of another person until he saw the “Rush is Right” bumper sticker on his car. Saying what you believe, and standing behind it. That’s the conservative way. And going to Tea Party rallies and cleaning up after yourself before you leave. Law and Order. Traditional values. What is right over what feels good. The study is crap.

Paul-Cincy on November 11, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Speakup on November 11, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Think the perp was trying to find sanctuary in the State Department? Hillary implicated? Ambassador Rice is signing on to the UN Gun Control Treaty.

(Just to add to the rumors and confusion.) :-)

If the perp made it across the Teddy Roosevelt, he is gone gone gone…Roslyn is an easy jungle to get “lost” in. Multiple avenues out of the area, and the layout of the streets is really screwy…literally…so cordoning off a neighborhood is tough to try.

coldwarrior on November 11, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Back in the 20th the Left conjured up “Motivated Social Cognition” to equate Ronald Reagan with Adolf Hitler. See, conservatives aren’t just evil, they’re crazy. They can’t help being wrong because of their mental illness and it’s our duty as concerned citizens to get them the help they need. Or at least that sounds better than we locked them up because they disagreed with our politics.

Browncoatone on November 11, 2011 at 10:53 PM

I checked with my psychologist, and she insists I’m not a psychopath. Not a narcissist. Not Macchiavellian. “You’re just a garden-variety schmuck.”

A bit disappointing, in retrospect.

sulla on November 11, 2011 at 10:57 PM

equate Ronald Reagan with Adolf Hitler.

Reagan was a socialist?

That’s the part of Reagan-Hitler and Bush-Hitler narrative I never understood on the Left. Fascism is not a product of representative democracy and capitalism…it is a result of socialism and statism, both of which the Left dearly approves.

coldwarrior on November 11, 2011 at 10:59 PM

You know, given a choice between someone with a bad personality and someone with a good personality who will run the country’s economy into the ground and take the rest of the free world with it, I think I know which side my bread is buttered on.

Socratease on November 11, 2011 at 10:59 PM

sulla on November 11, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Yeah, a lot like the Dr telling your mother, oh, he’s normal.

Speakup on November 11, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Interesting, so would we all be eligible for Social Security Diability benefits?

elclynn on November 11, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Wow! For a moment I thought they were talking about Obama.

GarandFan on November 11, 2011 at 11:14 PM

coldwarrior on November 11, 2011 at 10:47 PM

I know zero about driving around DC but I’m sure the Dems would never stoop so low as to politicize shots fired near the Whitehouse.

Pffffft!

Hey, hows those gun control laws working out?

Gun free zones, yeah that’s the answer.

Speakup on November 11, 2011 at 11:16 PM

I can’t believe that the leftards are still trying to use psychobabble to attack conservatives.

Blake on November 11, 2011 at 11:30 PM

AK47 with a scope? ROFL

Bishop on November 11, 2011 at 10:21 PM

That was my first reaction. I haven’t seen an AK47 or variant thereof (other than specially, and expensively, modified pieces) with the accuracy to need a scope. I think the design trades long-range accuracy for nearly unbeatable reliability.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on November 11, 2011 at 11:39 PM

I don’t have anything to say about this article.

But I have to say it is great that you has Alan Grayson ads funding it. I checked it out and was amazed the the range of far left view points endorsing him. I mean, any man who has Bill Maher admiring the size of his balls is a man I can vote for.

Everyone should check it out! Ralph Nader even. Wow!

OBQuiet on November 11, 2011 at 11:47 PM

I’d offer a substantive rebuttal to the study, but I’m too busy rocking back & forth while cutting myself with a broken bottle and wearing a chicken on my head.

OhioCoastie on November 12, 2011 at 12:38 AM

OhioCoastie on November 12, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Wind-blown cold nights on Lake Erie will do that sorta thing to ya. :-)

coldwarrior on November 12, 2011 at 12:44 AM

What, and they forgot to include Doctor Doom Syndrome? But seriously, I thought Machiavellianism was more of a philosophy than some sort of mental disorder, or is the University of Tampa just making things up now? Or… do I even need to ask?

R. Waher on November 12, 2011 at 12:58 AM

wearing a chicken on my head.

OhioCoastie on November 12, 2011 at 12:38 AM

I was wondering where that biddie went.

kringeesmom on November 12, 2011 at 1:08 AM

I’m not anti-social… I just don’t like people.

RalphyBoy on November 12, 2011 at 1:25 AM

Having taught on the college level for 48 years (come January) and having performed quantitative experiments for both my M.A. and Ph.D., I’d like to chime in on this.

When I was an undergraduate, studies in social psychology reported women were much more persuasible than men. Now we know they are, at best 1% more persuasible. What went wrong? Basically, at the time, all college social psychologists were men. They tended to unwittingly choose topics men knew more about. When women started filling college positions in social psychology, they started running their own studies using topics with which women were more familiar. And guess what? Men were found more persuasive. So, as it turns out, familiarity with a subject turns out to be a much more important influence on persuasibility than is gender.

Similarly, though self-identified conservatives outnumber self-identified liberals 2 to 1 in this country. In our universities liberals outnumber conservatives by at least 4 to 1. In Ivy League schools it is 9 to 1. So you have to ask yourself when it comes to studies like this, do you think it possible that wittingly or unwittingly the results might be biased by experimental assumptions and design? And unless you are a crazed moonbat (but I repeat myself), a reasonable guess would be “Hell, yes.”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on November 12, 2011 at 1:43 AM

elclynn on November 11, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Maybe, but I hear tell that’s not so good, if you live in Michigan.

listens2glenn on November 12, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Shots fired near White House

Update, 10:03 p.m. EST Suspect still at large, according to Benson.

Update, 9:54 p.m. EST Benson tweets: “Sources: machine gun recovered after gunfire near #WhiteHouse appears to be equipped with a scope.”

Update, 9:39 p.m. EST Benson tweets that the car is a Honda sedan with Idaho plates.

CW on November 11, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Police on lookout for large potato. Warning, he may be boiled.
When caught he will be fried.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on November 12, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Police on lookout for large potato. Warning, he may be boiled.
When caught he will be fried.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on November 12, 2011 at 2:00 AM

: )

listens2glenn on November 12, 2011 at 2:06 AM

Aaaand here’s another in a long list of things that make me cringe at what’s becoming associated with what I do for a living.

On behalf of the scattered factions of psychologists who have managed to remain relatively Kool-Aid-free, allow me to utter a hearty PHOOEY!!

Noocyte on November 12, 2011 at 3:07 AM

psychopathy: a mental disorder in which an individual manifests amoral and antisocial behavior, lack of ability to love or establish meaningful personal relationships, extreme egocentricity, failure to learn from experience, etc.

Okay whatever, fiscally conservative and socially liberal in this case likely equals overcompensating and un(ful)filled gay guy.

exdeadhead on November 12, 2011 at 5:14 AM

Whenever I watch an OWS protest videos, I swear I can smell body odor through the screen.

Why doesn’t some yahoo psychologist study the correlation between conservatism and personal hygiene?

Grace_is_sufficient on November 12, 2011 at 5:28 AM

Didja ever notice that crazy people frequently identify sane people as crazy. Just sayin…..

Meanwhile,

US: Shootout near White House, AK47 recovered
IBNLive – ‎3 hours ago‎
There was security breach in Washington DC when shots were fired near the White House on Saturday sending the state into panic, sources said

Alrighty, then.

apostic on November 12, 2011 at 6:29 AM

opposition to gay marriage correlated with psychopathy…

What is opposition to polygamous marriage correlated with? Is there a more “social” type of marriage than a polygamous communal marriage? I don’t think this guy has a clever argument for why it’s possible to be anything other than an antisocial psychopath if you oppose legalizing polygamous communal marriage.

Buddahpundit on November 12, 2011 at 6:30 AM

Bad news: New study shows conservatives far more likely to have antisocial personality disorders or something.

Good news: Only toward Progressive Liberals!

GFW on November 12, 2011 at 7:21 AM

What annoys me about these political psychology studies is that I have a personality and lifestyle that so fits into the Occupy weltanschauung, yet I am quite right-wing on most issues. (Even my position on abortion, my notable deviation from the current “true” conservative views, is right-wing in that I look at abortion through the lens of personal responsibility.)

One problem with these studies is that they try to go from a group’s personality traits to the politics being espoused by a group. This ignores the randomness with which political ideologies are structured. In other words, the politics any group advocates is merely an evolved reflection of a long string of both experience and ideological fantasy, with the fantasy holding the dominant role. I know many conservatives are fond of the fantasy of timeless ideologies, but it’s simply not true if one reads history. (Note that I still support how Clarence Thomas wants to interpret the Constitution.)

Another problem is that there are diverse actors within groups. Consider the Occupy protest. The enablers of the Occupy protest are often smart people into “Do it yourself” or DIY. They are who give the Occupy protest whatever coolness they have. The funny thing about DIY is a conservative philosophy. (I derived my political conservative views from it.) I would go so far as to argue DIY without a notion of personal responsibility that makes one a Republican is drivel. The smart people at Occupy protest have simply failed to think through the implications of their belief in DIY. The rabble at an Occupy protest are more into socialism than DIY. Socialism is a Get Others to Do It ideology, and corresponds to different personality traits than DIY. Yet somehow these two factions have come together.

thuja on November 12, 2011 at 7:37 AM

I see the narcissist in chief Obama is conservative? And the social pathologies of the tea partiers zero arrests, zero crapping on cars zero rapes, zero crapping in banks and atms leaving property better than they found it, belief in fiscal responsibility belief in working non violently through social and political institutions are clearly indicative of anti social behavior and the poopstocker liberals engaging in the opposite behavior is proof of their mental health and positive social relations.

eaglewingz08 on November 12, 2011 at 8:01 AM

New study shows conservatives far more likely to have anti-socialist personality disorders or something

FIFY

Disorders: conformity only goes so far.

maverick muse on November 12, 2011 at 8:08 AM

thuja on November 12, 2011 at 7:37 AM

We could speculate how long it will take the DIY before they split and denounce the unfair expectations of the socialist drones.

Right now, the DIY give the drones a sense of credibility. And the drones are stroking the DIY with the meshing of this affair. But initial attraction that sparks doesn’t stay so attractive given the pressures of reality in day to day living together. Soon enough, “irreconcilable differences” win the day.

maverick muse on November 12, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Nope, no political axe to grind here! No, sir!

ZK on November 12, 2011 at 8:29 AM

I wouldn’t be so antisocial if the rest of the world wasn’t so unworthy to breathe the same air I do.

listens2glenn on November 12, 2011 at 8:43 AM

thuja on November 12, 2011 at 7:37 AM

Geez, every once in a while. That’s a great comment, really, great analysis there.

hawkdriver on November 12, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Doesn’t some yahoo come up wit this kind of thing on a regular basis, usually when elections are starting to reve up? I feel like it’s groundhog day and I am reading another one of these “studies”. When is REAL science going to take over. From what we eat to who we are the goverment is paying money to idiots tat couldn’t chew their own food to give us their agenda to say what is what in some “scientific” study.
No wonder when the commies do take over they are the first to go.

Noelie on November 12, 2011 at 9:30 AM

GET OFF MY LAWN!!

44Magnum on November 12, 2011 at 9:40 AM

This article sure does peak my interest as to who writes this garbage, probably a writer who needs employment. Try these remarks.

mixplix on November 12, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Did I pay for this study? Geez, I went to that school, too.

Kissmygrits on November 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Not one of those behaviors fit the symptoms of anti-social personality disorder. None.

rlwo2008 on November 12, 2011 at 10:09 AM

This is a typo
It is not anti-social
We don’t like Socialists

or it could be another case of Confirmation Bias

LA Conservative on November 12, 2011 at 10:28 AM

So carrying a Tea Party sign or wearing a tri-corner hat is antisocial while taking a dump on a police car, performing sexual assaults or masturbating in public is cool?

dthorny on November 12, 2011 at 10:52 AM

New study shows conservatives far more likely to have antisocial anti-socialism personality disorders or something

(Corrected obvious error)

landlines on November 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Ugh……………through this study out the window, along with 90% of other such studies.

SC.Charlie on November 12, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Clearly a case of political insanity, comrade.

andycanuck on November 12, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I’ve read similar studies that suggest Democrats slavishly look for the approval of their peers at the expense of anything else, slobbering over every ounce of approval they can get.

scotash on November 12, 2011 at 1:01 PM

you got to be kidding me, the University of Tampa :-)…that is known for its ‘stellar’ academic ‘achievements’ in what field of study, if I may ask,’Surfing-on-semi-high-waves’ or what exactly…they should have a department there simply aimed at teaching the intellectually challenged segment of the Florida population how to punch a card correctly when they vote using automatic vote machines…as for the Machiavellianism part, I almost fell of the chair there, not for other reasons but that to me seems to fit perfectly the profile of a Dem operative in general…

jimver on November 12, 2011 at 1:16 PM

OhioCoastie on November 12, 2011 at 12:38 AM

I laughed so hard…..THANK YOU!

psychocyber on November 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Last I looked,Obama and Madoff were liberals……

ikwill on November 12, 2011 at 3:45 PM

There have been several studies that supposedly showed conservatives suffered from negative personality defects. Most have been discredited. “Scientists” continue to shoot themselves in the foot with this sort of malarkey. There was a time when a scientist spoke, people listened. No more, we have learned that scientists are apparently as biased as everyone else. Who would have thunk it???

pgrossjr on November 12, 2011 at 5:30 PM

pgrossjr on November 12, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Eisenhower.

Today, the solitary inventor, tinkering in his shop, has been overshadowed by task forces of scientists in laboratories and testing fields. In the same fashion, the free university, historically the fountainhead of free ideas and scientific discovery, has experienced a revolution in the conduct of research. Partly because of the huge costs involved, a government contract becomes virtually a substitute for intellectual curiosity. For every old blackboard there are now hundreds of new electronic computers. The prospect of domination of the nation’s scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present — and is gravely to be regarded.

Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.

–Dwight David Eisenhower, Farewell Address, 17 January 1961