Perry: This ain’t a day for quittin’

posted at 1:55 pm on November 10, 2011 by Tina Korbe

This morning’s media offensive against Rick Perry after his flub at last night’s debate was completely predictable. What ratings-conscious morning news show host would forgo a chance to grill the candidate whose 54-second stumble has already been dubbed one of the worst debate moments in modern primary history?

Certainly not Ann Curry, who asked Perry point-blank whether he plans to withdraw from the race. Not Christine Romans, who burdened Perry with the task of convincing viewers his mistake did not mark the end of his candidacy. Not Chris Wragge, who threw out every negative quote to surface about Perry’s “oops” moment. And not even George Stephanopoulos, who reminded Perry — as if he forgot — that the U.S. president has to be able to speak on the world stage.

What was less predictable, perhaps, was Perry’s response. He breezed by his brain freeze as though it were the first awkward pause in a series of brilliant debates. He doubled down on the message of his campaign. He invoked the fighting spirit of the Marine Corps, which was founded 236 years ago today. He spat out every bit of bait cast by those morning news anchors.

His one-word sentence to the Associated Press is representative: “This ain’t a day for quittin’.”

And at no point did he forget his point, which was, quite simply, that the country needs a leader not a slick debater. What’s sad is, it’s true — but repeating it won’t help Perry much now. Like it or not, in elections, rhetorical skills are often the perceived measure of intelligence and leadership ability — and voters have little patience for poor elocution. Anyone who wants to be president of the United States had better be prepared to wow a crowd with smoothly-strung sentences.

Still, I can’t resist giving this defense of Perry, the man (i.e. not Perry the presidential candidate): Like The Anchoress, I’ve blanked on the air before — and understand how it happens. Ironically enough, in my case, it was not that I was not thinking: It was that I was thinking too much. Heightened awareness of my surroundings, heightened concern for the way I’d be perceived, heightened desire to effectively convey my message all conspired against me — and I’m a person who usually performs better on an adrenaline rush. I’m also someone who’s been speaking in somewhat-pressured settings since I was 15 and who usually delights in talking to a crowd. Before I did it myself, I used to mock such mistakes in others. (Even after I’ve done it, I still can’t help laughing at this mother of all mistaken on-stage answers.) Now, I have a little more patience for imperfect delivery.

Eh, what more can I say? Perry’s blank-out was monstrously painful to watch — and he really doesn’t seem to be prepared to take the national stage. But his delivery doesn’t disqualify his ideas and not even a failed presidential candidacy disqualifies a person as a capable and knowledgeable leader. Else we’d be forced to say Andrew Jackson, Teddy Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan, among countless others who’ve lost presidential elections, lacked leadership ability, too.

Frankly, I’m inspired. Even if today is a day for the candidates to reevaluate their candidacies, even if today is a day for us to reevaluate our personal picks, even if today is a day to reexamine our priorities and principles and to remember why we fight for the causes we fight for, it ain’t a day for quittin’. No day is.

Update: I originally missed this Fox hit, but Steve Doocy was no softer on Perry than other morning show hosts:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I wish he would have a good debate performace. I will vote for him if he’s the candidate, but he needs to step it up.

Hard Right on November 10, 2011 at 2:55 PM

What no one is talking about. It was Romney during that answer who was trying to help him, suggesting the EPA. That evil RINO was the only one up there who tried to help him.

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Still amused at the Perry defenders who would have fraking CRUCIFIED Palin for the same sort of gaffe. Not ready, not presidential, moose in the headlights, ditzy cheerleader, 5-colleges-before-she-got-a-degree-what-a-moron, ad nauseum. But Governor Goodhair? Naah.

alwaysfiredup on November 10, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Sorry, but that’s an exaggeration. Many if not most of the Perry supporters have been big Palin supporters in the past. But she didn’t run.

juliesa on November 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Now that is being pathetic. First of all, Romney is not “evil”, get a grip. Second, he is a RINO.

So Kathleen Parker is riding on Romney’s jet now instead of Obama’s?

Daemonocracy on November 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I don’t know anyone who hasn’t had a brain freeze at the worst time possible, Perry is making lemons from lemonade, going on all the shows today, and I think he is handling this much quicker and impressively than we observed last week from the Cain camp. Perry has been a good governor of Texas and I like his 20% flat tax plan, I’m not abandoning him over this. Other than the brain freeze he was actually having a very good debate last night, a fact sort of lost in the sound-bites over the brain freeze.

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Daemonocracy on November 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM

It is pathetic. Its pathetic the way Romneys character is assassinated on a daily basis. What she wrote was the truth, he didnt have to help Perry but he did and no one else up there did that. That demonstrates character, he could have just watched him sink himself like the others but he didnt.

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Yes, that’s what’s such a shame. He did great except for that one moment, and that moment erased the memory of the good stuff. I’m sticking with him, though. I committed early on, and that won’t change unless he drops out.

juliesa on November 10, 2011 at 3:05 PM

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Romney’s character is not being assassinated; Herman Cain is experiencing that. Romney merely has a trust issue because of his switch hitting over the years.

Once again Romney apologists need to cling to something other than his record to insist he is not such a bad guy.

No, he is not a bad guy, he looks to be a wonderful family man and was a smart business man, but his flip flops and double talk are not to be ignored.

Daemonocracy on November 10, 2011 at 3:08 PM

As I said in another thread, Perry’s problem is not “he’s a bad debater.” His problem is that he insulted people with the heartless crack, and the defense of that crack by his supporters and the punditry was “he’s just a bad debater; he will improve.”

So what he had to do was get people to see something in him that makes them overlook that slight. Thus far, he has not managed to accomplish this because he hasn’t had much to talk about, has stayed largely away from media outlets, and in debates is often incoherent. The brain freeze just takes all of that encapsulates it into one long, painful moment.

CrankyTRex on November 10, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I think this gets it pretty close.

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 3:09 PM

alwaysfiredup on November 10, 2011 at 2:30 PM

That is an exaggeration, I liked Palin and would have defended her for the same thing; I defended the comments about her voice and her quitting early, too. Have you forgotten Palin campaigned for Perry when he was running against Kay Bailey Hutchinson in 2010? She has (so far) stayed out of saying who, if anyone, she is supporting, but she has not come out against Perry or anyone else, but her supporters sure seem to think she has….. I give Perry kudos for going on TV this morning with some tough anti-GOP commentators to discuss this, I distinctly remember when Sarah Palin didn’t answer the Katie Couric “what she reads” question the McCain campaign went to ground and wouldn’t let her go on shows to discuss this; later she explained it as “she didn’t like the question and purposely muffed it”……. yet that didn’t quell her support — but Perry has a brain freeze, immediately says “Yep I stepped in it” and everyone wants his head!

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 3:13 PM

When Perry got in, I was very interested. Then I started noticing that has having trouble taking what was in his mind and turning it into coherent English. Then he insulted me and everyone like me who thinks that illegal immigration is a massive problem, by turning my honest interest in addressing the bleeding wound of the border into an issue where I was just a heartless person – attacked my heart, instead of my issues. Then he kept acting stoned or something at the debates. And after awhilke, I realized that I really couldn’t tell what Perry was for, because he just couldn’t tell it to me. He wasn’t able to put into words I could understand, a clear picture of what he could do and why I should vote for him. Then last night, when I was willing to give him a chance, he just rolled it all up into one ball. Big talk but then can’t talk. I just find him too consistently incoherent, and I don’t want to vote for incoherence.

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Daemonocracy on November 10, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Do you not read the comments on this site? Seriously? His character, religion and everything else is taken apart on a daily basis.

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Sorry about the typos, I just did some hard labor and my brain and finger muscles are tired :(

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Ok so that was painful to watch and it probably hurt him but hey, at least the guy has fun laughing at himself. It’s too bad he has done so poorly in the debates because I think he’s a refreshing candidate. If he tumbles out of the race I can live with that and I’ll vote for someone else…but I hope he takes Romney with him because I really, really don’t want that guy for president.

scalleywag on November 10, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Mitt is very handsome, intelligent, attractive man. He looks like Matthew Fox’s, from Lost, distinguished, older brother. Plus it’s kinda sexy that he can speak French…..ooh la la!

sheryl on January 16, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Perry sure hasn’t aged well. He is starting to look haggard.

Don’t know if he smokes, but sure looks like it.

Pablo Honey on November 10, 2011 at 3:17 PM

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Don’t worry about it, we all do things like that. :)

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 3:17 PM

CrankyTRex on November 10, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Perry has apologized for that comment. Frankly I like the fact that when he screws up he says “I screwed up”…… so far Romney just wants to double-down on Romneycare defending it as a great plan, I would respect him more if he admitted what it has become in MA. Cain may or may not have done something with these women, but his campaign pointing fingers every which way to throw blame from himself tell me a lot about his character (or lack of)……. Newt is a great debater, but his going after the moderators instead of answering the questions is starting to get old.

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 3:18 PM

People don’t seem to understand that there is Romney and Not-Romney in this primary. The goal of the Not-Romneys is to be the last Not-Romney standing by the end of the voting, and measured in dollars, the one with the best shot at being Not-Romney is Perry.

Vashta.Nerada on November 10, 2011 at 3:19 PM

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Typos are part of the HA world.

gophergirl on November 10, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Now you can add ignorant to your nutball resume’.

cozmo on November 10, 2011 at 2:53 PM

So not only do you propose the ridiculous premise that Perry doesn’t have fanatical supporters, but you insult someone for suggesting the blatantly obvious, just after patting Tina on the back for what many here have perceived? And on top of all of this…you claim not to be a Perry supporter.

You must sell a lot of bridges.

MadisonConservative on November 10, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I just love coming hear and listening to all the Oh-So-Perfect armchair debaters spew disgust over a candidate who happened to have a brain freeze, as if it never happened to a single person here. Yet, the same people can listen to Cain verbally abuse the English language with his cutesy, good-ole boy whatever. I’ve delivered presentations in front of groups miniscule in comparison of the national stage, and I went there so well prepared that no one within ear shot could challenge me. I knew everything I wanted to say, and how to say it. Unfortunately, as Tina mentioned, the over-crammed mind has a hard time processing everything that’s in there somewhere, and occasionally you blank. Maybe because you’re human. But I’d rather listen to Perry fumble his thoughts, than hear Obozo crooning to his worshippers, or Romney reciting what his handlers tell him folks want to here, or Paul speaking Martian talk, or Cain butchering the language I learned in school, but doesn’t sound anything like what comes out of his mouth.

You all are so freakin’ smart, why isn’t your a$$ up on the debate stage?

stacman on November 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM

stacman on November 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Were not running for President. He is.

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Yeah, but here I am complaining about Perry’s incoherence, and I can’t even type

/hypocrite

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 3:26 PM

…you claim not to be a Perry supporter.

You must sell a lot of bridges.

MadisonConservative on November 10, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I am not, and haven’t been for years. But you already knew that. And yeah, I like bashin’ nutballs. It’s fun, and in the case of Perry haters, easy. Y’alls bulbs ain’t any brighter than his.

cozmo on November 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Sure… (rolls eyes)… you bitter Palinista turned Cainiac. :)

You are willing to forgive Cain even if is is proved that he SH 100 women but remain peeved about Perry’s “have no heart” comment? You know, yours is not a brain fart – it is a brain disconnect. :)

TheRightMan on November 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Yeah right, like that’s going to convince the Perry haters.

cozmo on November 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Oh good lord, get over your provincialism and hurt feelings. Perry has issues. You have to be able to admit it if you think you can help him overcome them/convince others he can overcome them.

alwaysfiredup on November 10, 2011 at 3:35 PM

alwaysfiredup on November 10, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I don’t think you read, or understood, the comment I was referring to. Try again.

cozmo on November 10, 2011 at 3:37 PM

TheRightMan on November 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Perry insulted the very voters he needed in order to win. Cain did not. Your inability to distinguish what does and does not matter to voters is staggering.

alwaysfiredup on November 10, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I like Rick Perry based on his RECORD.
I do NOT like Cain.
I am meh on Romney.
I like Newt.

But I will tell you this… I will crawl across a field of broken glass for ANY of them in order to get that loser out of the White House. Obama is killing this country and ANY of our field would be better than him!

ArmyAunt on November 10, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Of course not. Also completely irrelevant; KBH was dyed-in-the-wool elitist establishmentarian and I would have backed the Maine sisters over her given the opportunity.

I distinctly remember when Sarah Palin didn’t answer the Katie Couric “what she reads” question the McCain campaign went to ground and wouldn’t let her go on shows to discuss this; later she explained it as “she didn’t like the question and purposely muffed it”……. yet that didn’t quell her support…

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I think you are misremembering the entire past three years, where the Couric interview is routinely held up as the single reason she could never win another election.

BTW, I do not support candidates because Sarah Palin tells me to. I support candidates I like. I think for myself.

alwaysfiredup on November 10, 2011 at 3:41 PM

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Everyone has been personally attacked by a drive by or resident troll on this site, Romney is not a victim here. The majority of his criticism is aimed at his record and double speak – all perfectly legitimate.

People get too emotionally attached to candidates, it’s unhealthy.

Daemonocracy on November 10, 2011 at 3:43 PM

alwaysfiredup on November 10, 2011 at 2:30 PM

juliesa on November 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Maybe a BIT of an exaggeration, but just before Perry got in the race and immediately after he did get in his fan club at this site usually felt the need to build Perry up at Palin’s expense. The most-often cited thing was that 70-some-odd percent of GOP voters didn’t want Palin to run; also the observation that Palin is “damaged” and “unelectable” and “polarizing” was held out there by people who were saying that Perry was going to win 45 states in a landslide. Now I’m not going to wallow in Schadenfreude because I think on this occasion Perry’s getting a raw deal. However, the same people who were throwing polls around like Gospel tracts and going on about public perception are still the ones saying Perry’s going to make a comeback.

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Daemonocracy on November 10, 2011 at 3:43 PM

There are no emotions in this for me. Its business, I want Obama out and I think Romney is the best guy to do it. The end.

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Frankly, if anyone kept Palin from getting in the race it was people like Bachmann getting in so quickly. Perry waited until August, almost too late, Sarah had plenty of time to jump in before him. I think she would have been formidable and a much better candidate than Bachmann has been… but none of that has anything to do with Perry. Her fans seem to be holding some sort of grudge against Perry that has nothing to do with Perry himself.

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I’m not quitting either! today a check goes in the mail for Perry!!

Bullhead on November 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Maybe, but the thing is that most of the people here who think “Romney is the best guy to do it” seem to do little more than do their best to tear down any potential threat. For the past 3 years, a good deal of the vile anti-Palin junk has come from Mittbots.

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I don’t know what the reason was or even if she ever was seriously considering a run. The fact remains that “78% of GOP voters don’t want her to run” was a mantra here, most often from PerryKrishnas.

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I don’t have a grudge against Perry at all. I don’t think glibness should be the deciding feature in a candidate. I’m remarking on his fans here.

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 3:57 PM

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 3:54 PM

We dont think as a collective, I have only started commenting in the last month, I have no idea what other supporters of Romney have said about Palin. I like her.

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Personally I don’t like Romney- and I really don’t believe that he’s the leader America needs to begin the tough work of undoing everything Obama, Reid and Pelosi have done over the past few years. IMHO, Romney’s the kind of guy who will get into the White House and promptly set about working with Democrats, not against their socialist agenda. If there was a field of strong conservatives running no one would look twice at him.

As far as I’m concerned Perry should come out and start saying that in the last election the guy who gave a smooth speeches and performed well in debates won- and look where America is now.

I have reservations about some of Perry’s positions but he’s a much better candidate than either Cain or Romney.

I just wish that in this election- when so much rests on revoking Obamacare and bringing Federal spending under control as quickly as possible- that the GOP had produced a better field of candidates to pick from.

Jay Mac on November 10, 2011 at 4:04 PM

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Well then don’t act as if people are continually attacking Romney’s character or his religion. It’s rare. People attack his flipflops and his squishiness and his ultimate unelectability.

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I agree! I think Bachmann was almost catty about having to one-up Palin with the hope that Palin would abandon a run. Who ever convinced Bachmann that she was even remotely prepared for a Presidency?

As much as Palin’s voice has become “nails on a chalkboard” to me, I’d kinda like to see her up there now. I think she’d tear Obozo a new one in debates…

stacman on November 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Now you can add ignorant to your nutball resume’.

cozmo on November 10, 2011 at 2:53 PM

You must sell a lot of bridges.

MadisonConservative on November 10, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Thanks. Writing with class and intelligence in the face of “childish chimpanzee feces flinging rhetoric” from the likes of people like cozmo isn’t easy.

sheryl on November 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM

But his delivery doesn’t disqualify his ideas

Yes it does. It is because the ideas are not his to begin with that he fails to articulate them effectively. Perry got into the race because a bunch of Texas big wigs convinced him it would be a cake walk. He has now found out that he isn’t up to the task. But fortunately he has the money to fall back to his real expertise. That is being a nasty vindictive whiner who has $15 million to destroy Romney and Cain with.

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM

stacman on November 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Probably a bunch of “anybody but Palin” types who just looooooved them some Michele Bachmann in June and July.

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 4:11 PM

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Then let it be the end and don’t play the victim card for Romney.

Daemonocracy on November 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I dont like perry but I agree with him. If we were electing a national debater he wouldnt be the man for the job. I have been alive for 54 years, I have never seen a president have to debate any other head of state. Its a non issue. I did like his performance on one on one this AM on FOX news.
then again it helps that he was talking with the Uber sexy Megan Kelly. Ohh Did I just sexually harass her?
I guess I am in the same boat as cain.
Ohh the humanity !

LOL

ColdWarrior57 on November 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM

But his delivery doesn’t disqualify his ideas

Yes it does.

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM

No it doesn’t.

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 3:18 PM

And as I said, people probably could’ve gotten over it if he had given them something that made them forget about it. He didn’t. Apologizing may take the sting off it, but it doesn’t erase the bad taste it leaves in your mouth.

CrankyTRex on November 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM

sheryl on November 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM

It would have been cuter in French. I wouldn’t know how hard you nutball haters have it. I ain’t a nutball hater like y’all.

Bless your heart.

cozmo on November 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM

What? lol

If he were elected president, he would fight for those ideas to be implemented. They’re his ideas and his delivery does not disqualify his ideas, especially when his tax plan destroys 999 and 52 points.

Daemonocracy on November 10, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Uh, he actually said

“This ain’t a day for quitting nothing”

And he wants to get rid of the dept of edumacation.

Dave Rywall on November 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM

What? lol

Daemonocracy on November 10, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Using csdeven logic, Jon Stewart would be a great candidate. He’s pretty glib.

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 4:20 PM

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Im not going to keep on this point, but just read the first few pages of the debate thread last night and you tell me if Im not right.

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Uh, he actually said

“This ain’t a day for quitting nothing”

And he wants to get rid of the dept of edumacation.

Dave Rywall on November 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Double, triple and even quadruple negatives are a time-honored tradition as old as Chaucer. But being edumacated you’d know that.

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 4:22 PM

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 4:21 PM

You’re not right. I suggest you allow yourself more than a month to settle in before you smear Romney critics.

While you’re settling in you can think of one key conservative issue Romney has not played both sides on and has been an advocate for throughout his life.

Daemonocracy on November 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Y’all better concentrate on the Senate and House races and let the Presidential campaign play itself out. I don’t know why some get so emotional over this when they’re not going to change a person’s mind by being insulting.

If we don’t take the Senate, it’ll be very hard to get any conservative agenda through.

Vince on November 10, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Perry? I don’t see his purpose. What does he add to the discussion?

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 1:59 PM

A life time of conservatism and real executive experience in government.

Bill C on November 10, 2011 at 4:34 PM

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM

But Perry is a conservative and has been all his life. He lived it and he governed that way. Romney’s problem is not that he is a moderate/liberal, it’s that he has no position that he isn’t willing to change when it suits his purpose.

Cain and Gingrich are good conservatives but they both have weaknesses that are at least as bad as Perry’s inability to debate.

Bill C on November 10, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I prefer to choose a candidate by his record, NOT by his ability to be the American Idol winner. There was a report yesterday that someone looked at all of Romney’s speeches and found that there was not one single issue or position that he didn’t take both sides of. He has absolutely NO convictions, none.

Herman Cain lost me long before the scandal, he just is too inexperienced, POTUS should not be an apprenticeship position. His frequently changing story regarding the accusations is dismaying as well, he really just lied about it whether anything untoward happened or not.

Newt sounds good but he can’t walk the walk, plus his personal bagggage is a huge turn off. If he’s going to cheat and lie to people he supposedly cares for, why wouldn’t he do it to the American people?

I’ve always liked Sarah Palin but she’s not running. It would be great if the GOP won and made her Secretary of the Interior, then maybe she could run sometime in the future.

My favorite candidate is Gary Johnson, who isn’t even allowed the courtesy, as a very successful 2-term governor, to be invited to the debates. He, of all of them, is the one with the successful record of fiscal conservatism, leaving NM with a huge surplus after he left office. He’s also all about less regulation and nanny laws, something I thought the Tea Party stood for. But because he’s not socially conservative, we can’t discuss him seriously. It’s disgusting.

Rick Perry may stumble in debates (if you can call them that) but when he talks to groups of people or does interviews, he’s quite coherent and has great ideas. He also sticks to his principles. He’s not the perfect candidate either, but he at least has the experience and the right policies to get us out of this mess.

Common Sense on November 10, 2011 at 4:40 PM

NOOOOOOO! We MUST bring the EEEEEeeEeeEeevil Perry Down, so Herman Cain has the chance of a snowball in Hades, he’s totally not going to drop out and endorse Romney chance to strike back for Perry leaking the SH story (oops, that was Axelrod, wasn’t it?)

Sekhmet on November 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Over a two-day period, Katie Couric spent over four hours interviewing Sarah Palin. I am sure (as CBS would have done with any conservative) they edited it to make her look as bad as possible.

No one needs to do any editing to make Rick Perry look like an imbicile. Simply let him talk.

bw222 on November 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Tina Korbe on November 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Tina, the crowd here at HA is so partisan that you can never make everybody happy. I am a Perry supporter but I’m getting so sick of Republicans shooting down our own candidates that I’m starting to really appreciate anything positive said about any of them. Keep up the good work, you have the right to call it as you see it!

kg598301 on November 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Didn’t President Obama have a beauty of a brain freeze in one of his early town-halls without a telepromter? My search skills aren’t enough to land that video, but the “Greatest Orator of All” spent a painful couple of minutes trying to get himself back on track to answer the questions.

Surely some of you remember that one and can dig it up.

ss396 on November 10, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Sekhmet on November 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Cain will endorse Romney. There is no doubt about that. That is why I’ve been saying that if you want to stop Romney then support Perry.

Bill C on November 10, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Churchill had a phobia, whenever he was on a bridge, or near a window in an upper floor of a building, he had an almost uncontrollable desire to jump. So much so that he always had a person “bodyguard” at his side to prevent him from acting on that urge…he also was a stutterer, he overcame it, but still stammered at times, but learned how to disguise it (all of us stutterers learn that trick). He also “blanked” out at times during speeches, often before a major speech he was known to vomit…I guess he was unworthy to be a leader of a country…
See how petty and stupid this is?
One of the greatest leaders of all time, had more severe problems than Perry…of course Churchill would never be considered a viable candidate to lead any country according to many of the posters standards.
Pathetic people that can’t differentiate between what is important and what is not…
And to prove that point, the first election after the war, after Churchill literally saved the world from disaster, he was voted out…fickle voters and now fickle posters…

right2bright on November 10, 2011 at 5:07 PM

right2bright on November 10, 2011 at 5:07 PM

How true, best post I’ve read in a while! Thanks for being a voice of reason.

kg598301 on November 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM

He also sticks to his principles.

Common Sense on November 10, 2011 at 4:40 PM

You and other posters should try that…Cain has done nothing that has been proven to be wrong.
A bimbo who has routinely filed “charges” against whatever company she works for, is given more credit than a person who has worked for a number of companies, and mysteriously only the one where this woman worked seemed to have a problem.
No problem at any other company, just the one where a serial “filer” happened to be working…what an amazing coincidence.

right2bright on November 10, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Surely some of you remember that one and can dig it up.

ss396 on November 10, 2011 at 5:02 PM

This and so many other gaffes are the reason I don’t understand why people keep saying he’s such a great debater. I don’t see it, never have. He can’t think on his feet worth a damn, and would be nothing without a teleprompter. I think the media created that meme because I’ve never seen anything to back it up- nothing.

So for me, that blows this big argument against Perry right out of the water.

kg598301 on November 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM

How true, best post I’ve read in a while! Thanks for being a voice of reason.

kg598301 on November 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Thanks, the picking apart of these guys is foolish…Reagan, considered the “Patron Saint” of conservatives, would never be elected because of these posters…taxes, abortion, pathway to citizenship, all would stop the greatest conservative from becoming that.
If they weren’t so pathetic, it would be funny. But some of these posters are serious, and seriously misguided and easily manipulated by the press.

right2bright on November 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM

thphilli on November 10, 2011 at 5:23 PM

right2bright on November 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Not to mention, with extremely short attention spans. Even shorter than Perry’s. lol

kg598301 on November 10, 2011 at 5:23 PM

thphilli on November 10, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Too funny!

kg598301 on November 10, 2011 at 5:24 PM

right2bright on November 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Bingo!…mostly. They are wed to their candidate a year out from the primaries. When some of them fall, they are bitter and lash out at the candidate they feel caused the downfall of their standard bearer. Don’t let them get away with it and don’t waste time defending the candidate they hate (it won’t help). If you must do something, give it back to them. It won’t sway them, but may give a spine infusion to other supporters of that candidate.

cozmo on November 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Too funny!

kg598301 on November 10, 2011 at 5:24 PM

That did get a chuckle.

cozmo on November 10, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Perry: This ain’t a day for quittin’

I agree, I’m up for Rick staying on as the one dependable source of (unintentional) side-splitting humor for awhile longer. His constant screwups will force him out soon enough and when he does drop out, we’ll miss Jethro’s comedic mishaps, misfires and befuddlings.

whatcat on November 10, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I agree..This is not the day for quitting..:)

PS..This goes for Herb too..:)

Dire Straits on November 10, 2011 at 5:35 PM

kg598301 on November 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Media Spin they create the perception by saying it over and over again. For example what a great speaker Obama is, and it becomes accepted as fact no one questions it. You know because the media reached a consensus on Obama’s communications skills. It really doesn’t hold water just look at his crutch the teleprompter. The media is about creating an illusion and myths, not reporting factually. For that you have to read Ed’s Obamaturism.

Rick Perry is much more honest about his communication skills than people give him credit. He’s not trying to buffalo Bamboozle anyone.

Dr Evil on November 10, 2011 at 5:38 PM

right2bright on November 10, 2011 at 5:07 PM

right2bright excellent post, I have come to the conclusion the internet has ruined our electoral process, it has become American Idol… people forget Reagan has a terrible debate that left everyone convinced he was a senile fool……. yet he went on to be the best President of my generation. I pray people wake up before it is too late, because our country needs another good, conservative, President… and haven’t we learned from watching Obama why we generally elect governors as President?

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 5:40 PM

bw222 on November 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Charlie Gibson did purposely cut her very first interview to make her sound stupid – that was proven from the transcript. Couric did interview her for several days running (bad decision IMHO) but, Palin herself told Carl Cameron in an early morning interview the day after the convention that she was ticked off when Couric asked her the question and so she popped off… I don’t think any of us thought she didn’t know what she read, but just like the Perry brain freeze (which was all too real last night) it gave people who were not here supporters something to point a finger at. Frankly, the process we are putting any candidate through now is not the way to choose the best person for the job, it has become a beauty pageant, not a search for substance.

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 6:15 PM

It’s as if Obama hasn’t stammered ever while running or in office.

jaboba on November 10, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Well, at least Perry got a campaign theme song out of his gaffe.

profitsbeard on November 10, 2011 at 6:42 PM

No it doesn’t.

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Yeah, it does. They aren’t his ideas. If they were his ideas, he would articulate them effectively.

Former Palin supporter right? Looks like you hitched your wagon to another unelectable candidate. I guess it isn’t so much the candidate but rather that your type are drawn to flawed unelectable candidates.

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Perry sure hasn’t aged well. He is starting to look haggard.

Don’t know if he smokes, but sure looks like it.

Pablo Honey on November 10, 2011 at 3:17 PM

It’s the Texas sun.

haner on November 10, 2011 at 6:47 PM

whatcat on November 10, 2011 at 5:34 PM

It reminds me of those “B” movies that tried to be scary, but ended up being a cult classic for the unintended humor. Like most SciFi Channel movies…..

lol

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 6:48 PM

….Churchill…..

right2bright on November 10, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Perry is no Churchill! Good gravy! You Palin loons never cease to amaze us with your illogical rationalizations of the flawed candidates that you gravitate to.

lol

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 6:52 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 1:59 PM

A life time of conservatism and real executive experience in government.

Bill C on November 10, 2011 at 4:34 PM

A life time, really? I wouldn’t go so far to say the great conservative Ronald Reagan had a life time of conservatism to offer us – because he didn’t!

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I don’t know of Perry will end up being the right candidate, it’s not looking great, but you never know. I’d be fine if he did end up as the candidate.
Maybe he’s a RINO, I dunno, but I keep seeing people getting personally pissed off that he called them “heartless” for not agreeing with letting illegal alien children go to college with in-state tuition. And that’s the second reason not to vote for him after the brain-freeze episode, yada yada.
If your reaction to this is “no way!” I don’t think you are heartless, I just think you haven’t thought it thru all the way.
I live in a border state. There are 20 million of them here that the federal and state governments have allowed to come in and have done virtually nothing to date to remove. These people are not going back home anytime soon. That’s just a fact that has to be dealt with.
So you have a child that came over as a teen. They probably aren’t going to qualify to go to college anyway, as they didn’t go to school in the US the previous years and probably don’t speak English well and couldn’t do well on an SAT. End of issue.
Then you have a child who’s been here since they were 2 years old. There’s nowhere for them to go back to. If they are qualified to go to college and want to, given the fact that they will apparently be here forever, the best way to get them off the entitlement chain, and become an actual taxpayer is to graduate from college and earn more $ than the 50% of workers who pay no taxes. If they don’t go to college they will probably not ever earn enough to get off the spigot. Very few college grads are paid under the table. At least if they do well, their families from that point on won’t be parasites. College grads tend to beget college grads. I have a really hard time begrudging the quest for education. This in-state tuition still means they have to come up with 4 or $5000 a year for tuition. We already are compelled to let them go to school for 12 years, 100% on the taxpayers dime at the cost averaging $10,000 a year per pupil to the state. I don’t hear anyone squawking that shouldn’t occur, but those last 4 years of college, the best tool that exists to get into higher tax brackets, that’s a deal breaker, I guess.
The last point that convinced me was there’s only a few thousand kids in Texas that this even applies to. I don’t see evidence that illegals come over because the universities are a magnet. Other things are a magnet obviously, but not that.

Allahs vulva on November 10, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Apparently, Governor Perry believes he actually can do worse going forward.

Vanity: Watching Your Campaign List 90 Degrees to Port and Sinking Fast…Then Shouting “Full Speed Ahead!”.

SuperCool on November 10, 2011 at 7:10 PM

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Sure… (rolls eyes)… you bitter Palinista turned Cainiac. :)

TheRightMan on November 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM

What the bleep are you talking about?
Label me however you want I guess.
i’m just vetting candidates. I haven’t gone in all fanatic like some people here.

This practice of trying to label commenters just trying to vet candidates is stupid and it’s caused a lot of the asinine backbiting here.

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Other things are a magnet obviously, but not that.

Allahs vulva on November 10, 2011 at 7:02 PM

I agree completely. I don’t think people really come here illegally thinking that in 10-15 years, oh boy, we’re going to qualify for in-state tuition. Pretty ridiculous when you think about it. Free public education, free ER care, jobs, sure- all of those are a magnet. And every state in the union is a magnet for those things because they all have to provide them. The only difference is that in Texas we have a 1200 mile border and a federal government that won’t do a damn thing to keep them out.

kg598301 on November 10, 2011 at 8:34 PM

kg598301 on November 10, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Texas can build its own fence, 10 feet inside the border, and be perfectly within its rights.

Let the Feds sue Texas because they won’t allow lawbreakers to cross it? Then buy stock in Orville Redenbacher’s….

Oops, I forgot uhhh… the Texas economy is based upon the exploitation of illegal aliens by Perry donors.

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 8:43 PM

The Texas “miracle economy” has been built upon the backs of the exploitation of border-crossers, and don’t anyone try to say otherwise:

The Texas government that winks and looks the other way about this is corrupt and immoral.

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 8:46 PM

And this reality is the unspoken reason why Americans are pi$$ed about giving illegals ANYTHING. But Perry had to go there.

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 8:47 PM

kg598301 on November 10, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I thought the Texas law gives in-state tuition rates if they went to Tx schools and are working toward legalizing their status, not “free” education? The number I read was it is about 1% of the registrations, which makes sense because I doubt many of the students in question can afford even in-state rates. It is California where they just voted to give illegals a free college education, and here in Arizona our toughest illegal immigration critic who is behind most of our tough laws and has been in office for a long time, was just recalled.

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 8:55 PM

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 8:43 PM

In other words, you are in favor of taking farmers land away and starving their cattle from getting down to their water source, the Rio Grande?

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM

The new slavery is brown
America is guilty. Yes, she is.

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Rhetorical point.
The current illegal underclass is the greatest moral failing of America since the Civil War.

Either close the border or invade and annex. We can’t go on like this.

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM

As others have noted, debating isn’t even a part of being president – public speaking is. Perry’s a fine public speaker, especially compared to Mr. Umm, ahh, errggh, umm, uaahhh.
I don’t care at all whether he has a brain cramp and loses his train of thought while on tv. No one credible thinks he didn’t know what the various departments are. It seems that the only people who think this matters are the talking heads.

This isn’t American Idol; the future of our country is at stake, and this is not how thoughtful people should choose our leader.

LASue on November 10, 2011 at 9:18 PM