Perry: This ain’t a day for quittin’

posted at 1:55 pm on November 10, 2011 by Tina Korbe

This morning’s media offensive against Rick Perry after his flub at last night’s debate was completely predictable. What ratings-conscious morning news show host would forgo a chance to grill the candidate whose 54-second stumble has already been dubbed one of the worst debate moments in modern primary history?

Certainly not Ann Curry, who asked Perry point-blank whether he plans to withdraw from the race. Not Christine Romans, who burdened Perry with the task of convincing viewers his mistake did not mark the end of his candidacy. Not Chris Wragge, who threw out every negative quote to surface about Perry’s “oops” moment. And not even George Stephanopoulos, who reminded Perry — as if he forgot — that the U.S. president has to be able to speak on the world stage.

What was less predictable, perhaps, was Perry’s response. He breezed by his brain freeze as though it were the first awkward pause in a series of brilliant debates. He doubled down on the message of his campaign. He invoked the fighting spirit of the Marine Corps, which was founded 236 years ago today. He spat out every bit of bait cast by those morning news anchors.

His one-word sentence to the Associated Press is representative: “This ain’t a day for quittin’.”

And at no point did he forget his point, which was, quite simply, that the country needs a leader not a slick debater. What’s sad is, it’s true — but repeating it won’t help Perry much now. Like it or not, in elections, rhetorical skills are often the perceived measure of intelligence and leadership ability — and voters have little patience for poor elocution. Anyone who wants to be president of the United States had better be prepared to wow a crowd with smoothly-strung sentences.

Still, I can’t resist giving this defense of Perry, the man (i.e. not Perry the presidential candidate): Like The Anchoress, I’ve blanked on the air before — and understand how it happens. Ironically enough, in my case, it was not that I was not thinking: It was that I was thinking too much. Heightened awareness of my surroundings, heightened concern for the way I’d be perceived, heightened desire to effectively convey my message all conspired against me — and I’m a person who usually performs better on an adrenaline rush. I’m also someone who’s been speaking in somewhat-pressured settings since I was 15 and who usually delights in talking to a crowd. Before I did it myself, I used to mock such mistakes in others. (Even after I’ve done it, I still can’t help laughing at this mother of all mistaken on-stage answers.) Now, I have a little more patience for imperfect delivery.

Eh, what more can I say? Perry’s blank-out was monstrously painful to watch — and he really doesn’t seem to be prepared to take the national stage. But his delivery doesn’t disqualify his ideas and not even a failed presidential candidacy disqualifies a person as a capable and knowledgeable leader. Else we’d be forced to say Andrew Jackson, Teddy Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan, among countless others who’ve lost presidential elections, lacked leadership ability, too.

Frankly, I’m inspired. Even if today is a day for the candidates to reevaluate their candidacies, even if today is a day for us to reevaluate our personal picks, even if today is a day to reexamine our priorities and principles and to remember why we fight for the causes we fight for, it ain’t a day for quittin’. No day is.

Update: I originally missed this Fox hit, but Steve Doocy was no softer on Perry than other morning show hosts:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

We get it, Tina, you want Perry to win.

thebrokenrattle on November 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM

And I remember hearing the little Perry Cultists running around saying how Cain had to get out so that we could focus on the serious candidates like Perry … bahahahaha

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM

You can’t quit a car crash, you have to just ride it out and wait for the ambulance.

otisframpton on November 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM

From the headlines – Perry will be doing Letterman’s Top Ten tonight.

gophergirl on November 10, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Perry is lower than Cain on Intrade. That says it all.

andy85719 on November 10, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I’ve blanked on the air before

Yeah, but you were adorable.

John the Libertarian on November 10, 2011 at 1:59 PM

But his delivery doesn’t disqualify his ideas

Want ideas? Look at Newt or Paul. Want a social conservative, there’s Santorum. Want a smooth moderate: Romney. Huntsman for the democrats out there. Michele Bachmann’s strong on many conservative issues (and should still drop out).

Perry? I don’t see his purpose. What does he add to the discussion?

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I feel for Perry the person too, I to quote him “have a heart.” But Perry the candidate is done. The money is going to dry up, his problem isnt this one gaffe in a debate, its a series of poor debates. He cant communicate under pressure, he cant debate Obama. You have to do these basic things to win, Im sorry but you do and he cant. He failed the most basic test, communication and its not a forgivable offense. Sorry.

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Dang straight it ain’t a day for quittin’

cmsinaz on November 10, 2011 at 2:00 PM

otisframpton on November 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM

But please don’t get in your car and continue to crash it.

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 2:00 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Some of them are still saying that today. Some are now using the “if Cain doesn’t apologize to Perry” he needs to step down.

Knucklehead on November 10, 2011 at 2:02 PM

From the headlines – Perry will be doing Letterman’s Top Ten tonight.

gophergirl on November 10, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Perry: “Number 3….uh….uh….what was it? Uh….I don’t have it….oops.”

Doughboy on November 10, 2011 at 2:03 PM

We get it, Tina, you want Perry to win.

thebrokenrattle on November 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Yep.

MadisonConservative on November 10, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Let the voters in the primaries decide, not the pundits.

RDH on November 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Knucklehead on November 10, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Just tell them Cain had a human moment. I don’t see how Cain choosing Mark Block is any different than Perry refusing to improve at communication (assuming he can).

Anyway, the new line I’m seeing is how Perry is like … Reagan. *snort.

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

No, Governor Perry, you need to quit. See here, your brain fart from last night is an indication either of incompetence, stupidity, mental illness or all of the above.

No one else has ever forgotten something and since politicians have special chips in their heads which make them immune to mistakes, you sir are obviously a complete aberration and should leave the stage. NOW. As in yesterday.

Bishop on November 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Perry is going to be on with Megyn Kelly shortly.

Dr Evil on November 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

From the headlines – Perry will be doing Letterman’s Top Ten tonight.

gophergirl on November 10, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Ugh, this bothers me way more than “the gaffe”.

aquaviva on November 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Is Perry about to throw an invisible pigskin? Cuz that’s what Im seeing.

Jeddite on November 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Love how the usual aholes call anyone who disagrees with them a “cultist” – well, shove it up your a….

Blake on November 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Well at least hes handling the post debate response well:

jaketapper RT @GovernorPerry: I’m joining @megynkelly live at 3pm ET on FOX News. I hope they don’t lose the feed before the third question!

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Oh please Tina, that’s some pathetic spin. Did you get a bonus today?

Knucklehead on November 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Knucklehead on November 10, 2011 at 2:02 PM

That needs to stop too. Everybody is in it until they don’t want to be in it.

Let this play out and have the voters decide.

gophergirl on November 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I’m surprised to see so many quitters on this thread! Well written, Tina.

Vince on November 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM

At this point the smartest GOP candidates are:

1)Romney
2)Cain
3)can’t remember. who was third?

hanzblinx on November 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM

otisframpton on November 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Spot on.

sheryl on November 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Crazy enough, that was Perry’s best debate and he has shown improvement since that disastrous Fox News Debate. His campaign finally has a message, some substance, but he had no room for another gaffe. I don’t think he’s done, it’s insane to think that based off this brain freeze when he has shown improvement.

Daemonocracy on November 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Well at least hes handling the post debate response well:

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM

His sense of humor is definitely coming out in this.

gophergirl on November 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM

The best Perry can do for us, is to focus on Romney and drag him down with him.

Which would help, Newt mostly, maybe a Newt/Perry ticket. Even Perry could debate crazy Joe successfully, assuming 0bama doesn’t dump Biden.

Rebar on November 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Perry needs teleprompter contact lenses.

portlandon on November 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM

At this point the smartest GOP candidates are:

1)Romney
2)Cain

3)can’t remember. who was third?

hanzblinx on November 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Newt.

El_Terrible on November 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM

At this point the smartest GOP candidates are:

1)Romney
2)Cain
3)can’t remember. who was third?

hanzblinx on November 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Newt.

Let’s not skate around this.

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I will not stop working for the American people until…

Uhhhh…

Jim Treacher on November 10, 2011 at 2:08 PM

The best Perry can do for us, is to focus on Romney and drag him down with him.

Rebar on November 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM

He can’t even do that.

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Puh-leaze.

Pablo Honey on November 10, 2011 at 2:09 PM

gophergirl on November 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Which is the best response given the circumstances, show humor, give a mea culpa and hope this football coach scandal dominates the coverage and people forget about this debate. If that happens and he has a STELLAR debate Saturday night, then maybe, he can crawl back into this thing.

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I don’t have a “personal pick.”

What I’d like to see is the primary process play out as far as possible without the media, Republican party pundits, and others “forcing a card” at me.

tbrosz on November 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM

He can’t even do that.

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Perry’s money can buy a lot of draggin’.

Rebar on November 10, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Let the voters in the primaries decide, not the pundits.

RDH on November 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Now that’s just crazy talk! Get your nose back to that grindstone, peon. Your established betters will worry about such things as are clearly above your station.

CurtZHP on November 10, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I am at the point in this primary where I am just sitting back and enjoying the show. What does the media have in store for us next – the republicans are thinking of drafting a democrat to run against Obama next.

Dr Evil on November 10, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Perry’s money can buy a lot of draggin’.

Rebar on November 10, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Then he should go for it. I’m still waiting for my TV to bleed…

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 2:12 PM

He can’t even do that.

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 2:09 PM

If he does he’ll do it through ads. He might not be the nominee, but he could still play a role in eliminating Mitt, which was the entire purpose of him entering the race.

El_Terrible on November 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Best thing going for him is the next debate is Saturday. Maybe this will loosen him up and he’ll just be himself. He’s got nothing to lose so why not.

gophergirl on November 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Holy God watching that debate last night was miserable.

Perry was doing alright and then bombed the hell out. I was for Perry when it looked like he would juggernaut right over Mittens. As it is, Perry’s a longshot now. For a longshot, I’d rather take Newt, since I’m much more convinced that Newt can go the distance and has big ideas that he can implement.

Really want to help? Drop out and endorse. The field is an unmitigated nightmare right now, we need to pare down.

John_Locke on November 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Helpful advice from BBC:

Mr Perry should take advantage of memory-building techniques known since antiquity to help orators avoid that kind of public error, says Joshua Foer, a science writer and author of Moonwalking with Einstein, about competitive memorisation.

“If it had been Cicero up there on stage, part of his debate prep would have involved creating an image in his mind’s eye of the three departments he wanted to talk about,” Mr Foer writes in an email to the BBC.

“Maybe his favourite elementary school teacher standing behind a lemonade stand handing out wads of cash, while shooting lightning bolts out of his underarms. That wacky image would have reminded him he wanted to cut education, commerce, and energy.”

notropis on November 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM

El_Terrible on November 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM

No it wasnt, he thought he would walk in and win. He didnt go through this to play spoiler.

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Rick is a nice sensitive man that wants to do God’s will.

But the assumption that his weak personality even with an added Texas swagger and dialect will get him into the Presidency is a sweet but unreal belief.

To quote a real leader, “Ain’t gonna happen.”

jimw on November 10, 2011 at 2:14 PM

What a group of sour-pusses. Ah what’s wrong? He’s the longest serving Governor
of Texas in history and you’re not??? I had to laugh at Joe Scarborough (“I am always right Conservative blogosphere and never wrong, accept that.”) and his “he’s such a moron” talk. Like the man cleaning trash off the side of the road who gets splashed by the 200,000 dollar Mercedes that speeds by and he raises his fist. “Oh you Rick Perry!!”

Marcus on November 10, 2011 at 2:14 PM

God, I couldn’t watch it again on Megyn…too painful.

lovingmyUSA on November 10, 2011 at 2:15 PM

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I agree 100%.

bazil9 on November 10, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Perry is going to be on with Megyn Kelly shortly.

Dr Evil on November 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Which would be enough to make many men have trouble concentrating on political issues.

Steve Z on November 10, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Is Perry about to throw an invisible pigskin? Cuz that’s what Im seeing.

Jeddite on November 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

black magic!

Jeddite on November 10, 2011 at 2:16 PM

@thebrokenrattle, @MadisonConservative, @knucklehead: Believe it or not, I really don’t have a candidate. If I had to vote today, I would have a very, very hard time picking. If I’m guilty of “spin,” it’s of trying to give them all as much benefit of the doubt as possible. I don’t always do that perfectly, but I approach all this with a desire to see every one of the candidates do well — and to see the very best, whoever he or she might be, rise to the top. As far as his ideas go, I *am* a huge fan of Perry’s energy policies — but I also recognize his ideas aren’t unique to him and most of the other candidates also want to reopen the Gulf, open federal lands to drill, etc., etc. But I’ve also had concerns about him from Day One, like I do about all the candidates.

And, @John the Libertarian, thanks!

Tina Korbe on November 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

notropis on November 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Yeah! If they know all the questions before hand, that would be sound advice.

Vince on November 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Bishop on November 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Those Karl Rove patented Cerebral Implants were known to have a few bugs though. Bush never could get the hang of words like nuclear and seemed to be a little goofy from time to time.

Mitt Romney seems to have to bugs worked out on his though.

Maybe Herman Cain should consider one of the newer models or get some for his campaign staff.

Lily on November 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Maybe he did think he could wing it and win it, but he was a Not-Mitt candidate. He would ‘save us’ from Mitt. That role can still be played out :)

El_Terrible on November 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

What if Newt had tripped on his way up the stairs to the stage, can you imagine? Why, we can’t have a stumbling bumbler as President, he would be savaged by the media as a clumsy goof, endlessly parodied on SNL, and ridiculed to pieces by noted leftist comedians.

Bishop on November 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Tina Korbe on November 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

She speaks!

gophergirl on November 10, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Tina Korbe on November 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Tina, well said. I’m finding it hard to choose a candidate also. To be honest I don’t care for any of them much, but you can be darn sure I will be in the voting booth come next Nov. voting for whoever the Republican candidate is. Nose holding and all.

sandee on November 10, 2011 at 2:19 PM

So funny seeing how some people defend him. When Jindal gave the response to the SOTU some of them were quick to write off Jindal as a potential candidate. Of course there was much hope that someone else would run… hopes dashed on the cliffs not too long ago.
Now memory lapses and poor debate performances are reason to defend him?

Bradky on November 10, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Perry? I don’t see his purpose. What does he add to the discussion?

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Thrice elected statewide chief executive.

Other than that???…

JohnGalt23 on November 10, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Mr. Perry, what are the three branches of the federal government? Legislature, judiciary, and ummm….. That’s ok, Rick, you can forget about the other one.

RedRobin145 on November 10, 2011 at 2:21 PM

voting for whoever the Republican candidate is. Nose holding and all.

sandee on November 10, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Then you cannot possibly be a true conservative! /sarc

Bradky on November 10, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Tina Korbe on November 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

If that’s the case, Tina…you might want to take a look back at your many favorable Perry posts, compare them to the number of posts you have on other candidates(and their tone), and re-evaluate your approach. I’m far from the only one who has noticed a strong streak of praise and defense of Perry that is not nearly as significant when you address the rest of the pack.

MadisonConservative on November 10, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Then you cannot possibly be a true conservative! /sarc

Bradky on November 10, 2011 at 2:21 PM

LOL! Yeah I’ve gotten that response here a lot.

sandee on November 10, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Megyn gave him a chance to take a shot at Herman Cain, and he refused.

Dr Evil on November 10, 2011 at 2:22 PM

El_Terrible on November 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

It could still be played out, but its getting a lot tougher. Its either Newt or Cain as the “non-Romney” party saver. Both choices are problematic.

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Perry is done. When he made the statement that Social Security is a Ponzi scheme. He couldn’t compare and contrast the differences and the likes between the 2.

Then he said that you don’t have a heart if you don’t want your tax money going to illegal aliens for in-state tuitions.

Now this. Couldn’t come up with the Dept. of Energy. He had commerce and the Dept. of Education. How about HUD? HHS? Dept. of Agriculture?

Solly Cholly.

Mirimichi on November 10, 2011 at 2:23 PM

nswider on November 10, 2011 at 2:14 PM

El_Terrible on November 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

after all nobody has mentioned “magic underwear” or “Mitt’s other wives” in at least 20 minutes.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on November 10, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Let the voters in the primaries decide, not the pundits.

RDH on November 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM

The problem for Perry is that many primary voters watch televised debates, more than those who watch political ads and go to candidates’ speeches.

Most Republican primary voters want a candidate who can beat Obama, and can eventually win debates against Obama. From the debates we’ve seen so far, only Romney or Gingrich could win a debate against Obama.

Steve Z on November 10, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Megyn gave him a chance to take a shot at Herman Cain, and he refused.

Dr Evil on November 10, 2011 at 2:22 PM

That’s because he couldn’t remember the third part of Cain’s 9-9-9 plan…

Bradky on November 10, 2011 at 2:24 PM

It seems fairly obvious that Perry and Cain are Rush’s guys, he didn’t spend so much time defending Bachmann, and actually undercut her by foolishly promoting and hyping Perry’s entrance into the race. I’m not excited about any of the candidates. Bachmann and Newt are OK, but since this race seems to be coming down to a choice between Rove’s Romney or Limbaugh’s Cain/Perry, I guess I’ll be voting for Ron Paul.

At least he means what he says.

FloatingRock on November 10, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Heres the deal. We have a glib tongued man as President. He has a record of accomplishments. Let us compare that with Rick Perry who is not glib, however his understanding of how America works and his record of accomplishment far outshadow that of Obama. In fact, Perrys record outshines that of all of his opponents. It is stupid not to prefer Perry yet the old addage remains true. You just cannot fix stupid.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on November 10, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Mitt Romney, he’s too slick, too robotic in his answers.

Rick Perry, he’s not slick enough, too human in his answers.

It seems we need a candidate who has just the right slickness…but not too much!…combined with the perfect amount of humanness.

Clearly the answer is Lizard Man. Slick AND half human.

*paid for by the Lizard Man or Mike Castle for President 2012 committee of the northwesternish part of Minnesota*

Bishop on November 10, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Of course the Dems are having a field day with Perry saying he wants to get rid of the Dept of Education, right before forgetting his third department…

Not that a national department for education makes any sense what so ever, but don’t tell a Dem that…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on November 10, 2011 at 2:26 PM

The best Perry can do for us, is to focus on Romney and drag him down with him.

Rebar on November 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Listen to how pathetic that is. Romney tried to help Perry out on stage with saying the EPA.

Perry supporters have a mean streak that needs a doctor.

sheryl on November 10, 2011 at 2:26 PM

oops

stenwin77 on November 10, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Megyn gave him a chance to take a shot at Herman Cain, and he refused.

Dr Evil on November 10, 2011 at 2:22 PM

That’s because he couldn’t remember the third part of Cain’s 9-9-9 plan…

Bradky on November 10, 2011 at 2:24 PM

LOL! that was a good one.

Dr Evil on November 10, 2011 at 2:27 PM

As I said in another thread, Perry’s problem is not “he’s a bad debater.” His problem is that he insulted people with the heartless crack, and the defense of that crack by his supporters and the punditry was “he’s just a bad debater; he will improve.”

So what he had to do was get people to see something in him that makes them overlook that slight. Thus far, he has not managed to accomplish this because he hasn’t had much to talk about, has stayed largely away from media outlets, and in debates is often incoherent. The brain freeze just takes all of that encapsulates it into one long, painful moment.

CrankyTRex on November 10, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Bollocks… Americans would like slick but can easily make do with poor orators. The difference is that you should be able to articulate your core proposals without wandering away half way through making your most vital political pitch or writing your core values on your hand. Lots of other people can do better than this schlock. No excuses.

lexhamfox on November 10, 2011 at 2:28 PM

MadisonConservative on November 10, 2011 at 2:22 PM

What MadCon said Tina and then some. Rick Perry stumbled in that poor attempt a few debates back when he tried to corner Mitt on his flip flops and made himself look like a fool. And now you’re trying to spin this with the “we’ve all had brain farts at one time or another”, which is true.

But we are not running for President and Rick Perry is.

Knucklehead on November 10, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Still amused at the Perry defenders who would have fraking CRUCIFIED Palin for the same sort of gaffe. Not ready, not presidential, moose in the headlights, ditzy cheerleader, 5-colleges-before-she-got-a-degree-what-a-moron, ad nauseum. But Governor Goodhair? Naah.

alwaysfiredup on November 10, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Bishop on November 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Some of us over age 35 remember when Bob Dole famously fell off a stage, and some over 50 remember when Gerald Ford fell downstairs.

Then there was the President that tried to walk into the White House through a window. Barack Obama, in 2009.

The difference was, he had already been elected.

Steve Z on November 10, 2011 at 2:31 PM

It’s not a matter of quitting. Last night was more like a nuclear explosion. There’s just nothing left.

Pablo Snooze on November 10, 2011 at 2:32 PM

But we are not running for President and Rick Perry is.

Knucklehead on November 10, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Didn’t Holder just try and use the same excuse? BUSH DID IT TOO!!!

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on November 10, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Maybe Rick Perry can just read from a telepromter…

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on November 10, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Tina Korbe on November 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Tina you are in denial. As a Mitt girl, I can reconize another woman with a crush.

Let me ask you, how old is that picture of Rick Perry on the home page that you used for this story? It’s a picture only a girl with a crush would use. I know of what I speak :)

sheryl on November 10, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Every one is looking for the perfect spouse, the perfect job, the perfect boss, the perfect employee, the perfect presidential candidate. No one is allow any human failing. Instead our perfect president must be ‘almost godlike’ in every attribute.

Any perceived stumble or gaff, or mistake is seen as weakness and the poor victim is set upon by a pack of rabid dogs. There is no margin for error so all the candidates play it safe.

Unless one is a democrat, then any human vice is excused to maintain party loyalty and advance the agenda.

Skandia Recluse on November 10, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Tina Korbe on November 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

sheryl on November 10, 2011 at 2:32 PM

OK the picture on the home page of this story just changed to one that looks like to was taken very recently…..wow!

sheryl on November 10, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I have these “brain farts” on a daily basis here at home, actually to the point I’m getting a little worried about it. This is just being human. I don’t have a candidate yet, but I was excited about Cain, Perry,and now even Newt. (I never thought I would say that.) They all have faults somewhere and there is not a perfect candidate. I can see where Romney would look really good to people who are not like us on here that are really into politics. He’s smooth and polished seemingly, but to me he is just oily because he has been back and forth on all the issues.
The right is shredding all our candidates. Do not think for a minute that we have any candidate that the press will not rip to shreds, it doesn’t matter which one it is.

silvernana on November 10, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Tina Korbe on November 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Yeah right, like that’s going to convince the Perry haters.

They all know that alla’ y’all are totally in the tank for Perry. And that your claim of being for all of the candidates is just a smoke screen.

cozmo on November 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Perry? I don’t see his purpose. What does he add to the discussion?

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 1:59 PM

His purpose, originally anyway, was to add an actual record of governing a large constituency without doing more economic harm to a floundering one. The contrast was so glaring that it seemed the best juxtaposition for what is probably the biggest disappointment to the greatest number of voters.

As it’s said, last night was indeed painful but not alone is it a killer. The problem is, it’s not alone but one in a series of multiple. I was really hoping for Perry to be the nominee when he entered and was certainly hoping for a rebound but it no longer seems realistic. Oh well.

anuts on November 10, 2011 at 2:41 PM

sheryl on November 10, 2011 at 2:32 PM

You sure can.

Mitt is very handsome, intelligent, attractive man. He looks like Matthew Fox’s, from Lost, distinguished, older brother. Plus it’s kinda sexy that he can speak French…..ooh la la!

sheryl on January 16, 2008 at 11:06 PM

portlandon on November 10, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Hang in there, Perry! Have some fun and join in on the laughter.

RepubChica on November 10, 2011 at 2:44 PM

What a double standard many here have. “Um, you go first, Newt” is fine for Cain, twice in the same debate, but Perry forgetting something on stage is the end of his candidacy.

Posting this here is pointless, because I’ll just be torn up by the 99 to 1 ratio of Cain to “everybody else” supporters here, but the truth is the truth. Cain is extremely light on facts and twice couldn’t even answer questions in a debate against Newt. http://t.co/iDecNDki <– Watch that and tell me it's not as bad as Perry forgetting a third agency he'd cut. The difference between Cain and Perry is that one has 10 years of governing in one of the most conservative states and the best jobs record of any governor in the country, and the other has never won an election.

kerrhome on November 10, 2011 at 2:47 PM

The best Perry can do for us, is to focus on Romney and drag him down with him.

Rebar on November 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Perry supporters have a mean streak that needs a doctor.

sheryl on November 10, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Do you believe the candidates on stage take their opponents strategy and tactics near as personal as the above demonstration?

If there is a candidate who you absolutely do not want to be the nominee would you really find it ‘mean’ on the level of ‘needing a doctor’ for another to focus on them?

What part of that thinking do you find to be the most rational?

anuts on November 10, 2011 at 2:52 PM

kerrhome on November 10, 2011 at 2:47 PM

It isn’t pointless. This Cain supporter understands and having been governed by Perry for more years than I would like am not willing to go the nutball route to pile on Perry.

cozmo on November 10, 2011 at 2:52 PM

As a Mitt girl, I can reconize another woman with a crush.

sheryl on November 10, 2011 at 2:32 PM

OHHHHH, you’re part of the bimbo vote. Typical Californian.

Daemonocracy on November 10, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Perry supporters have a mean streak that needs a doctor.

sheryl on November 10, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Now you can add ignorant to your nutball resume’. Like you, rebar is a top tier Perry hater.

cozmo on November 10, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Perry supporters have a mean streak that needs a doctor.

sheryl on November 10, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I’m sure Gov Perry has regrets about his time in office and his performance on this campaign. I see an awful lot of badmouthing him, badmouthing Palin, badmouthing Cain, Romney and Newt on this website. Everyone has their favorites. At least Perry isn’t badmouthing the rest any more.

I’m not sure anyone here has a mean streak as much as the Dhimmicrats in Congress and the White House do. But you’d have a hard time knowing it reading the Cain/Perry/Romney threads. The whole site comes off as mean and nasty….. to each other also.

Folks this is serious business. I understand that. I think the Obama administration would cause a Socialist takeover similar to the National Socialist takeover of Germany in 1933, if they got a second term. Hell, the press is even talking about giving Bubba a 3rd term.

But if you can’t all hold your nose and vote for whomever the eventual Republican nominee is, then you are part of the problem and will see this country turn into Nazi Germany, Red China or the Soviet Union and live under tyranny for 50+ years. I’m betting you don’t want that.

And I’m also betting that even a lousy debater like Rick Perry can beat Obama in 2012. No one has f*cked up the country as badly as that man and his cronies in Congress have done. We are closer to collapse than at any time in our History since 1860. The Great Depression was nothing compared to what we will live through if there are 4 more years of Obama.

So quit bitchin’ and start promoting any and every Republican in the race. Doing less makes you all look petty, small, and unconcerned with the situation you are facing. If Satan were to chastise Obama for something, I would at least make a favorable reference to him for that on this website. Ease up, or be responsible for the media’s victory over every single one of our candidates.

Subsunk