Perry: This ain’t a day for quittin’

posted at 1:55 pm on November 10, 2011 by Tina Korbe

This morning’s media offensive against Rick Perry after his flub at last night’s debate was completely predictable. What ratings-conscious morning news show host would forgo a chance to grill the candidate whose 54-second stumble has already been dubbed one of the worst debate moments in modern primary history?

Certainly not Ann Curry, who asked Perry point-blank whether he plans to withdraw from the race. Not Christine Romans, who burdened Perry with the task of convincing viewers his mistake did not mark the end of his candidacy. Not Chris Wragge, who threw out every negative quote to surface about Perry’s “oops” moment. And not even George Stephanopoulos, who reminded Perry — as if he forgot — that the U.S. president has to be able to speak on the world stage.

What was less predictable, perhaps, was Perry’s response. He breezed by his brain freeze as though it were the first awkward pause in a series of brilliant debates. He doubled down on the message of his campaign. He invoked the fighting spirit of the Marine Corps, which was founded 236 years ago today. He spat out every bit of bait cast by those morning news anchors.

His one-word sentence to the Associated Press is representative: “This ain’t a day for quittin’.”

And at no point did he forget his point, which was, quite simply, that the country needs a leader not a slick debater. What’s sad is, it’s true — but repeating it won’t help Perry much now. Like it or not, in elections, rhetorical skills are often the perceived measure of intelligence and leadership ability — and voters have little patience for poor elocution. Anyone who wants to be president of the United States had better be prepared to wow a crowd with smoothly-strung sentences.

Still, I can’t resist giving this defense of Perry, the man (i.e. not Perry the presidential candidate): Like The Anchoress, I’ve blanked on the air before — and understand how it happens. Ironically enough, in my case, it was not that I was not thinking: It was that I was thinking too much. Heightened awareness of my surroundings, heightened concern for the way I’d be perceived, heightened desire to effectively convey my message all conspired against me — and I’m a person who usually performs better on an adrenaline rush. I’m also someone who’s been speaking in somewhat-pressured settings since I was 15 and who usually delights in talking to a crowd. Before I did it myself, I used to mock such mistakes in others. (Even after I’ve done it, I still can’t help laughing at this mother of all mistaken on-stage answers.) Now, I have a little more patience for imperfect delivery.

Eh, what more can I say? Perry’s blank-out was monstrously painful to watch — and he really doesn’t seem to be prepared to take the national stage. But his delivery doesn’t disqualify his ideas and not even a failed presidential candidacy disqualifies a person as a capable and knowledgeable leader. Else we’d be forced to say Andrew Jackson, Teddy Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan, among countless others who’ve lost presidential elections, lacked leadership ability, too.

Frankly, I’m inspired. Even if today is a day for the candidates to reevaluate their candidacies, even if today is a day for us to reevaluate our personal picks, even if today is a day to reexamine our priorities and principles and to remember why we fight for the causes we fight for, it ain’t a day for quittin’. No day is.

Update: I originally missed this Fox hit, but Steve Doocy was no softer on Perry than other morning show hosts:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

As others have noted, debating isn’t even a part of being president – public speaking is. Perry’s a fine public speaker, especially compared to Mr. Umm, ahh, errggh, umm, uaahhh.
I don’t care at all whether he has a brain cramp and loses his train of thought while on tv.

So it’s OK if this happens at White House press conferences?
Do we really want another round from the media of, “the president is dumb?” Or will Perry avoid press conferences?

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Rapunzel on November 10, 2011 at 8:55 PM

The free public education is K-12, and all of the states have to provide it per the federal government. TX tuition law just says they pay the same rate as every other student residing here.

kg598301 on November 10, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Texas can build its own fence, 10 feet inside the border, and be perfectly within its rights.

Let the Feds sue Texas because they won’t allow lawbreakers to cross it? Then buy stock in Orville Redenbacher’s….

Oops, I forgot uhhh… the Texas economy is based upon the exploitation of illegal aliens by Perry donors.

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 8:43 PM

That statement shows me you are so uninformed or misinformed about Texas that there is just no point in discussing this with you. Since you’re not interested in the facts from someone who actually lives here, you can keep churning this stuff out if you want but I’m not going to waste my time responding. Have a lovely evening.

kg598301 on November 10, 2011 at 9:43 PM

kg598301 on November 10, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Read my link above about the new Texas jobs going to immigrants instead of Americans. Facts are facts, no matter how great you think Texas is.

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 9:54 PM

And your illegals that you mollycoddle in Texas end up getting on buses and ending up in MY town. So it isn’t just YOUR business.

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Vashta.Nerada People don’t seem to understand that there is Romney and Not-Romney in this primary. The goal of the Not-Romneys is to be the last Not-Romney standing by the end of the voting, and measured in dollars, the one with the best shot at being Not-Romney is Perry.”

That’s right. It’s all about money. Perry has a ton of his supporters’ money to blow through, and till it’s all gone he’ll never quit.

Every dime is wasted because it’s in the service of a candidate who steps on his own anatomy over and over. But hey, it’s free money, so who cares.

David Blue on November 10, 2011 at 10:11 PM

No it doesn’t.

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Yeah, it does. They aren’t his ideas. If they were his ideas, he would articulate them effectively.

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Not it doesn’t. I’m looking for conservatism, not wildly original New New Deal crap. Leave the “originality” to libs and squishes like your guy Romney with his 59 meaningless points.

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 10:33 PM

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Hahahaha!!! Are you listening to yourself? The originality isn’t an issue. If Perry BELIEVED what he was saying, he would articulate it. He doesn’t believe it because they aren’t his ideas. Ergo, he cannot communicate those ideas effectively.

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 11:14 PM

So it’s OK if this happens at White House press conferences?

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 9:30 PM

A brain cramp does not equal dumb. But whoever is the Republican nominee (and hopefully president), he/she will undoubtedly be labeled as stupid and/or evil by the media.

P.S. Remember these?
• Over the last 15 months, we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go.”
• “In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died — an entire town destroyed.” The actual death toll: 12.
• “My Health Care Bill is going to save you 3000% on your premiums.”
• Iran doesn’t “pose a serious threat to us” because “tiny countries” with small defense budgets can’t do us harm.
”profit and earnings ratios”
• The country of Europe.
• The Austrian language.
• Hirohito supposedly surrendering to MacArthur.
• Corpse-man.
And the list goes on…

LASue on November 10, 2011 at 11:20 PM

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 11:14 PM

LOL…are you telling me Romney actually BELIEVES everything he says?

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 11:22 PM

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Attacking Romney doesn’t fix Perry.

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 11:24 PM

P.S. Remember these?
• “My Health Care Bill is going to save you 3000% on your premiums.”
”profit and earnings ratios”
• The country of Europe.
• The Austrian language.
• Hirohito supposedly surrendering to MacArthur.
• Corpse-man.
And the list goes on…

LASue on November 10, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Yeah, so what? We should nominate a boob like Perry because Obama is just as dumb?

And it wasn’t a brain cramp. He ALWAYS screws up in debates. Obama will decimate Perry in a debate.

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 11:26 PM

cane_loader on November 10, 2011 at 9:54 PM

The link above about the new Texas jobs going to immigrants instead of Americans is a fine example of liberal math.

We agree that facts are facts, no matter how great I think Texas is.

rukiddingme on November 10, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Attacking Romney doesn’t fix Perry.

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 11:24 PM

And attacking Perry doesn’t fix Romney. Attacking Perry or Palin or anyone else isn’t going to make conservatives any more eager to vote for Romney.

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Dire Straits on November 10, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I disagree. Cain’s decision to keep Block should be then end of his campaign.
I’d vote for Mitt before I’d vote for Cain.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 10, 2011 at 11:59 PM

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Have you ever seen Obama off teleprompter?
The guy cannot articulate ANYTHING!
I am not saying Perry can beat him but he certainly wouldn’t be ‘decimated’ by obumbler.

BTW…anyone else notice that Perry is ahead of Cain on intrade?

ArmyAunt on November 11, 2011 at 12:26 AM

A life time, really? I wouldn’t go so far to say the great conservative Ronald Reagan had a life time of conservatism to offer us – because he didn’t!

MeatHeadinCA on November 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I think Reagan was apolitical in his young adulthood but that changed after he met Nancy. I remember reading that Nancy’s father had some influence on bringing Reagan to the conservative fold. So what is your point?

Bill C on November 11, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Attacking Romney doesn’t fix Perry.

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 11:24 PM

But it will fix the Republican party.

Bill C on November 11, 2011 at 12:30 AM

BTW…anyone else notice that Perry is ahead of Cain on intrade?

ArmyAunt on November 11, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I also noticed that Cain never really got that high in trading. I bet this shows up in the polls next week.

Bill C on November 11, 2011 at 12:33 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on November 10, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Hello alt..:)

Dire Straits on November 11, 2011 at 12:39 AM

I think it’s over for Perry now. He had such promise but he isn’t ready to beat Obama. I hope those who supported him will join with Cain or Newt. I believe these are the only options conservatives have to choose from now. If conservatives can unite we can beat the RINOs but if we split our vote RINO Romney gets it.

Dollayo on November 11, 2011 at 12:53 AM

In other words, you are in favor of taking farmers land away and starving their cattle from getting down to their water source, the Rio Grande?

Rapunzel

No no, we should let the farmers keep their land, and instead allow millions of illegals to continue flowing in unchecked so they can essentially take the land away from all of us.

You can’t be serious. What century do you think we’re living in? I’m no rocket scientist, but I’m pretty sure I can figure out how to get water from one side of a fence to the other.

As for taking the land necessary for this? Absolutely. If imminent domain should be used for anything, border security/national security is it.

xblade on November 11, 2011 at 2:05 AM

They dumped “dumb” and “dirty” Palin for “dumb x __” Perry and “dirty x __” Cain.

All in support for the Kingship of Romney. Bwahahaha!

TheAlamos on November 11, 2011 at 4:06 AM

I’m not sure what’s going on inside Perry’s head, but, even on his worst day his record at successful governance is better than average. That said, I wouldn’t vote for a man who entered a contest becuase his wife urged (forced?) him to run. His heart … er … um, head just isn’t in it.
Passion clears a wandering mind and Rick just doesn’t seem to want it enough to beat Obama.

kregg on November 11, 2011 at 5:00 AM

kregg, you might like this video where at the 3 minute mark, he’s asked why he got into politics and he answers why he’s running for president:

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on November 11, 2011 at 6:11 AM

kg598301 on November 11, 2011 at 7:47 AM

I thought he did really great there… I laughed at most of the jokes (esp. the “I drank a five-hour energy drink, 6 hours before the debate”); I also found it interesting that Letterman chose to tell an in-depth story about how he himself had bombed the night earlier at an event for Tom Brokaw and used it to segue to Perry — like he had understanding about it. Odd b/c Letterman’s a jerk, lol. Perry did TERRIFIC on Greta last night, really a substantive interview; I really enjoyed that. He did well all day yesterday.

Aslans Girl on November 11, 2011 at 7:58 AM

The fence still…really?

xblade on November 11, 2011 at 2:05 AM

You’re not much of a fence builder either, or know much about the native wildlife (some of which is already in danger from the existing parts of the fence). Just moving some water would double the price of the fence, violate international treaties, lengthen the time to build the fence and take even more of some of the most fertile land in the world from its owners.

If this fence was to be proposed at any other time than an election, the outcry would be even louder against all the government overreach to build it. More so than the griping over the trans Texas Corridor or the Superconducting Super Collider.

cozmo on November 11, 2011 at 8:33 AM

ddrintn on November 10, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Criticizing Perry is about facing the facts and telling the truth. Perry cannot debate effectively (meaning articulating his ideas in a clear concise manner) enough to counter the clear concise manner that Obama will communicate his. Perry comes off as a bumbling boob and Americans will not elect him irrespective of how he articulates his ideas on the stump or during friendly interviews.

Perry should realize it and get out and support the most electable candidate we have rather than stay in because of his ego, or engage in a scorched earth policy by destroying those candidates that are more competent than he is. I expect, just by judging those who worship him (people like you), that he will engage in a scorched earth policy by spending his $15 million to exact his vindictive nasty whiny vengeance upon Cain and Romney. He isn’t interested in beating Obama. He is only interested in winning the nomination and couldn’t care less that he will lose to Obama.

csdeven on November 11, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Aslans Girl on November 11, 2011 at 7:58 AM

The Greta interview was excellent, especially where he addressed the “heartless” comment.

kg598301 on November 11, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Have you ever seen Obama off teleprompter?
The guy cannot articulate ANYTHING!

BTW…anyone else notice that Perry is ahead of Cain on intrade?

ArmyAunt on November 11, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Obama will not forget key parts of his policies during the debate. Perry will because he has no ideas of his own. He is a puppet of those who have the ideas. This is why he fails.

Only idiots think Intrade means anything.

csdeven on November 11, 2011 at 9:17 AM

But it will fix the Republican party.

Bill C on November 11, 2011 at 12:30 AM

No it doesn’t. Assuming the defeat of Romney will suddenly cause the GOP to rethink it’s directing is the best example of one dimensional thinking in the realm of political analysis. Political thought has length, width, and depth. The first step in getting past the one dimensional thinking you are engaged in, is accepting the fact that the GOP must win elections and that is done by supporting the most conservative candidate that is electable. Until you can do that, all your comments on who the GOP should nominate are worthless tripe.

csdeven on November 11, 2011 at 9:22 AM