Video: Perry implodes; Update: Campaign is over, says top fundraiser

posted at 9:49 pm on November 9, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Business Insider. A few choice quotes. Larry Sabato:

To my memory, Perry’s forgetfulness is the most devastating moment of any modern primary debate.

Rich Lowry:

That might be the most uncomfortable moment I’ve ever witnessed in presidential politics.

Mona Charen:

That was the greatest flame-out I’ve ever witnessed in a debate.

He’s down to 4.9 percent now on InTrade; before the debate he was at 9.3 percent. Remember two months ago when he was going to be the guy who saved us from Romney? Yeah.

Update: Zero Hedge has the gruesome “flash crash” during Perry’s answer as captured on InTrade.

Update: CNN, live in the spin room: “I’m sure glad I had my boots on because I sure stepped in it out there.”

Update: WaPo’s Aaron Blake tweets: “Top Perry fundraiser to me: ‘Perry campaign is over. Time for him to go home and refocus on being Gov of TX.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 10

Yeah that was brutal.

lorien1973 on November 9, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Handling it tersely was the right way to go, Allah. Perry’s advisers are probably hitting the bourbon hard.

KingGold on November 9, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Stick a fork in him, he’s done.

Tasha on November 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM

As a Texan I knew better. He didn’t even want to debate Kay Bailey Huchtinson! KBH!

terryannonline on November 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM

I think he needs to get drunk for these things to loosen the nerves

jp on November 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Buh-bye, Perry. I wouldn’t have minded you at the helm, but you’re toast.

Midas on November 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Rick “Hindenburg” Perry.

portlandon on November 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I think Obama would actually have a chance of beating this guy in a debate.

MadisonConservative on November 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Oh man. I can see why people are #facepalming this, but for some reason, I’m unaffected except for making him a little more endearing to me.

TWG78 on November 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Temporary loss of cabin pressure. We all have it. Perry’s not my preferred candidate, but I knew when I saw it that the media heads would use it against him.

Can we please stop eating our own?

BruthaMan on November 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Second look at Cain?

Erich66 on November 9, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Want to thank all the Perry bloggers who worked overtime to undermine and destroy the GOP field in order to clear the path for a man who can’t speak in public. Great job guys.

swamp_yankee on November 9, 2011 at 9:55 PM

I was wondering how long this was going to take…

Seven Percent Solution on November 9, 2011 at 9:55 PM

What the…..but I know the feeling. Sometimes I’ll be talking to someone, have a point, and BOOM it just flies away into the ether.

Bishop on November 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Oh Please! The content was great- So he fumbled- just like all of them have at one time or another- Let’s just be real here HA hates Perry and nothing he would do would ever be right. Go Perry

Bullhead on November 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM

I guess since China is trying to get nukes, we can’t risk a debate error or two.

Perry is the most genuine and staunch candidate and would make the best President. His baggage is less than any other candidate. I’m still all in.

Faint hearts.

eaglesdontflock on November 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Second look at Palin?

eforhan on November 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM

He’s a good guy, but he’s not ready for the media or Obama.

beatcanvas on November 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Y’all don’t understand Aggies. Fine. Stick with Hah-vahd, we’re doing so well so far with that type.

Marcus on November 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM

It just gives ammo for the meme pushers. It was a brain fart that was awkward. It happens.

Southernblogger on November 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Great job guys.

swamp_yankee

Something to keep in mind as we go forward.

tree hugging sister on November 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM

My husband was writhing on the couch about it though.

“Oops”

Hilarious!

TWG78 on November 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Can we please stop eating our own?

BruthaMan on November 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Please. I dont want to be hostile to Perry. But its his camp that has been brutal in its attempt to tear down the others.

For what?

Anyone who thinks Perry can win against Obama, but Romney cannot should have all political commenting rights revoked. Go join a sports blog.

swamp_yankee on November 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I agree with Rich Lowry.

It made me believe the MSNBC mantra that he was on something during that speech in NH. Can anyone say “this is your brain on pain pills?”. Anyone?

MississippiMom on November 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I think Obama would actually have a chance of beating this guy in a debate.

MadisonConservative on November 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Obama will beat every single candidate we put against him in a debate… according to the media. You wanna bet?

TheRightMan on November 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I think Obama would actually have a chance of beating this guy in a debate.

MadisonConservative on November 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Joe Biden could outsmart Rick Perry.

Wow. That was painful to watch.

portlandon on November 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM

So they dug up a rock in his yard with something bad painted on it 30 years ago for nothing?

Jim Treacher on November 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Second look at Cain?

Erich66 on November 9, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Only if my eyesight is 999/999

William Amos on November 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Perry didn’t implode. He did have a forgetful moment and it was brutal the way it played out. But I would much rather have Perry forgetting for a moment which agency he wants to cut over Mitt Romney forgetting that Romneycare is a top-down government mandated, non-free-market program.

I wish Perry hadn’t had the brain cloud event because prior to that he had a very strong debate and also recovered well too.

JonPrichard on November 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I feel bad for him. Because now the question is will Senior Moments will become Perry Moments. I could so see that happening to me.

txmomof6 on November 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM

At least he was self-deprecating later when he did finally remembered which agency he meant later… He laughed it off and played it evdearingly.

I actually missed this earlier since I was making dinner.

Aslans Girl on November 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Perry is human, guys.

Most Americans recognize that.

Such a freak out society we live in.

bridgetown on November 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I don’t see the big thing. Just today I couldn’t remember my own postal code. I once forgot my own phone number for a full five minutes. Not remembering, is not the same as not knowing.

keep the change on November 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Bullhead on November 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM

There are so many gov’t agencies, you’d think he coulda just given a lucky guess. The guy is not presidential material.

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

@EamonJavers
#Perry’s moment was the worst stumble I think I have ever seen in a presidential debate. CNBC GOP Debate: http://t.co/p0rXb3xR

@rickklein
Rick Perry just ran out of federal agencies he can name. Oh boy. #cnbcdebate

canopfor on November 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Ugh… my Governor and fellow Aggie.. way out of his league.

Always kind of liked him… kinda feel sorry for him.

BTW, not all of us Aggies are this stupid… but I’ve never been on a Presidential debate stage either…

davek70 on November 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I dunno. He played it off with humor. Probably didn’t pick up voters at that exact point.

TexasDan on November 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

That was pretty rough. But yeah, I’d still vote for him in the general.

DrAllecon on November 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Uncomfortable, yes …but I think a lot of people could relate to a bit of stage fright.

Frankly I think his immigration comment was far worse.

The Ugly American on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM

JonPrichard on November 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM

ITA. There are SOOOOOOO many govmt agencies Perry would like to cut or eliminate, it’s hard to remember them all. That’s what happens when government grows to the enormous beast that it is in America.

Aslans Girl on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I saw the livestreamers on Ace’s blog wail and gnash their teeth right before my eyes. Pure, pure despair.

I don’t envy them. Perry got all the grief Cain got, compressed into thirty seconds. Be strong, folks.

KingGold on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM

swamp_yankee on November 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM

This is Perry’s fault not anyone elses. He should be prepped for debates and this isnt his first.

He was naming his OWN plan when he screwed up. Its not like he was stating some obscure fact.

William Amos on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM

My stomach sank. And I’m not even a Perry fan.

This man does not belong on a stage with Obama. Sorry.

hanzblinx on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM

swamp_yankee on November 9, 2011

That’s just serious baloney. Why, because you say so? Who died and made you James Madison?

JonPrichard on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I didn’t think it was that big a deal. I kind of thought it was one of the most human moments of the evening. When Paul tried to help I thought it was endearing.

Dr Evil on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM

keep the change on November 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Doesn’t mean you don’t strive to improve. Either Perry’s incapable or unwilling to improve his communication skills.

MeatHeadinCA on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM

This was embarrassing. I felt so bad for the guy. He’s done. He doesn’t make Texas even look good anymore.

JellyToast on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Second look at Cain?

Erich66 on November 9, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Second look at Mr. Short-Term Memory? Seriously, there were more uh’s in that single clip than in an entire Beavis & Butt-head marathon.

Any Cain-hater who trashes him in the hopes that his demise will clear the way for a Perry resurgence, remember this moment. THIS is why I’d gladly take Cain over Perry as the GOP nominee. I don’t care what he’s done down here in Texas. One moment like this at the debates against Obama, and it’s 4 more years for SCOAMF.

Doughboy on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Not remembering, is not the same as not knowing.

keep the change on November 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Exactly.

The Ugly American on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I can’t even bring myself to watch it again. That’s how bad it was.

Feel terrible for him.

Demosthenes on November 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Perry for Secretary of … uh… you know… the one that handles food and stuff.

profitsbeard on November 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Comment From Jeff B.
Rick Perry just pledged to eliminate 1) commerce dept., 2) education dept., and 3) the Rick Perry presidential campaign

Stolen from Ace of Spades Live Blog..:)

Dire Straits on November 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM

You know, some really bad things are happening in the world (Iran, Europe etc) and in the country (like those elections yesterday (what?!), F&F, a truly imperial presidency) but the MSM has managed to stupify the sheeple with stories of Jacko’s doctor and the Cain babes, and now they can add Rick Perry’s stage fright. Nothing to worry about folks, nothing to see. Move along.

bofh on November 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM

I honestly thought the previous event where he couldn’t hit Romney with the flip-flop tag was much worse. The problem is that he is in a place where he can’t afford things like this so it magnifies the failure.

sharrukin on November 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM

I’ll bet he and his wife and a few million other Christians prayed before the debate that God would speak through him and guide his words.

IU_Conservative on November 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM

ot: the pundit asking cain question post debate is AWFUL…he’s got more gotcha questions than the moderators…

PUHLEEZE

apparently the cnbc thinks the perry oops will be the key issue about the debate…and they will ONLY focus on that along with the of the lsm….

cmsinaz on November 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Oh, Rick Perry, what are we going to do with you?!?

cynccook on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Wow

Kini on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I loved that genuine smile that he gave when he remembered and he made fun of himself for forgetting. I bet his next ad will say, “It’s hard to remember ALLLLL the many agencies that need cutting from our bloated government.” LOL.

Aslans Girl on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Ever helping Ron Paul,that was a hoot!

canopfor on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

The tragedy here is that Perry would govern just fine. But there is pribably no realistic way to usher him through the general.

Kataklysmic on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Ever have someone ask you for a contact phone number and all you can do is stare at them as if you’re retarded and didn’t understand the question?

There have been times that I’ve given the first 3 digits from my own cellphone and the last 4 from the wife’s; sometimes people just have a misfiring synapse. At least Perry didn’t sound like an automaton.

Bishop on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Still love him but damn man this hurts :(

gophergirl on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I’m afraid to watch

It’s that bad?

blatantblue on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Larry Kudlow said it was bad..:)

Dire Straits on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Someone check on Asian’s Girl.

SouthernGent on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

He’s not done for me yet. I like him in any other venue but this kind of circular firing squad.

That said, NEWT

John the Libertarian on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Jim Treacher on November 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I’m starting to wonder if after they dug it up, they slugged him on the head with it.

MississippiMom on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

One word….Stockdale.

A. Weasel on November 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I’m a Newt supporter, but I can say – without sanctimony or false sympathy – that these idiotic debates do a great disservice to our country, and produce tragicomic, or maybe just plain tragic results like what happened to Perry tonight.

Perry is intelligent, and has executive skills; formidable executive skills as a governor of a state that has produced more jobs than the rest of the country for the last several years. And now because he failed to perform adequately as a trained seal before a shallow and sometimes vicious media, he’s likely out of contention.

The candidates should cut the media out and set up their own one-on-one dialogs such as the recent Newt+Cain meeting, and drop these moronic beauty contests.

I hope Perry stays in.

BCrago66 on November 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I saw those hoofs of that galloping horse in his first campaign commercial. What we didn’t see was that he was riding the horse backwards.

JellyToast on November 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM

As I’ve said before(to use an Obamaism): Perry’s a petty, unlikable, vindictive, less-articulate W.

I just didn’t know how much less articulate.

Shame. He’d probably be a decent president. Petty, unlikable, and vindictive often make for good presidents. Inarticulate, however, becomes unelectable, when you drop that far below the W threshold.

Sure, Obama’s an SC, but he’s an incumbent SC, with a very supportive cast of media characters. Perry’s an SC, who will have it thrown back in his face at every turn.

(SC, of course, as in SCoaMF. Perry’s only an MF in debates.)

Draft Fred!!!!!

notropis on November 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I can see three branchs,er is it five from my house!!
(sarc).

canopfor on November 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Comment From Jeff B.
Stolen from Ace of Spades Live Blog..:)

Dire Straits on November 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Meh, Jeff B.’s hated Perry for awhile now. No surprise at his reaction :)

Aslans Girl on November 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM

gophergirl on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I feel your pain..It was brutal..:)

Dire Straits on November 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Perry needs his own debate teleprompter.

Christina_M on November 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Okay, that’s cute!

cynccook on November 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM

He needs to start writing notes on the palm of his hand like Sarah Palin it will drive the Media batsh1t crazy.

Cain has been hammered all week on sexual harassment accusations. Perry doesn’t remember one government department he would get rid of, he didn’t name the 3rd, and this is a bigger deal? Big whoop.

Dr Evil on November 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM

He couldn’t come up the Dept of Energy? He had to think about it for 5 more minutes? Whoa! He is done. Put a fork in him.

Mirimichi on November 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I hope Perry stays in.

BCrago66 on November 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I do too..:)

Dire Straits on November 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Kataklysmic on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Yep. Unfortunately, we live in a media saturated society. Presidents must be ready for TV.

terryannonline on November 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Not one vote that matters has been cast yet. He had a brain cramp. Embarrassing moment? Sure. Fatal to his campaign? I doubt it.

jaschenb74 on November 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Someone check on Asian’s Girl.

SouthernGent on November 9, 2011

She’s been posting here, looks to be hangin’ in pretty well.

JonPrichard on November 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM

At least Perry didn’t sound like an automaton.

Bishop on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Well played. It’s a brain freeze. He needs the long-form debate to shine.

John the Libertarian on November 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Someone check on Asian’s Girl.

SouthernGent on November 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

It’s AsLan’s Girl, with an L for the lion of Narnia, and I’m right here laughing along with Perry who laughed at himself for forgetting an agency — out of so many it’s not hard to do.

Aslans Girl on November 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Aslans Girl on November 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I hear you..:)

Dire Straits on November 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Three Cain Supporter bashing HA commenters I want to get rid of…

HondaV
Aslans Girl
And…
and…
AND….?!??!!

TWG78 on November 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM

To quote Michael Ironside’s ‘Jester’ from ‘Top Gun’:

“That was some of the finest flying I’ve ever seen…. Until you flew into that mountain!”

Perry didn’t have a chance to eject. It’s over for him and he doesn’t even know it.

Jack Deth on November 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Oh give me a break, he lost his train of thought for a second. Much ado about nada, he did very well tonight otherwise. Good grief, with everything we’ve seen this week, that was an implosion?!!!

Y’all sure lose your perspective quickly.

kg598301 on November 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I’m hoping that most voters are not one – two soundbite babies like so many here.

bridgetown on November 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Bishop on November 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Probably not as bad as my cousin. He was introducing his wife of 5+ years and couldn’t find her name in the brain clutter.
With a different woman that could be dangerous.

katy the mean old lady on November 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM

“Mr. President, an attack is imminent.”

Perry responds:

“Hey there, you, over there, gimme that, uhh, that thing over there, you know, that, uhh, whatchyamacallit, looks black or maybe dark grey — in Texas we call that ‘burnt’ — you know, hey, I’m talkin’ to you, not to you, gimme that, uhh, that satchel over there, you know, that one…”

Lourdes on November 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM

When Paul tried to help I thought it was endearing.
Dr Evil on November 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I must admit when RP held up five fingers as Perry looked at him made me chuckle. Paul knows he’s out of the running but he comes off as a decent guy.

Bishop on November 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM

If Perry does go under, there is only one alternative.

Southernblogger on November 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM

That may or may not be true. “We” are not candidates.

swamp_yankee on November 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I hope you are not trying to convince me you are that dumb. If you are, I won’t stand in your way. I’ll stay right here. Not a big fan of sports.

BruthaMan on November 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM

jaschenb74 on November 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Yeah, embarrassing, but not enough to “die” of embarrassment ;)

Aslans Girl on November 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM

I can forgive a candidate for a single brain freeze but not when his entire campaign is one.

William Amos on November 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM

This is called a gaffe. No one watching tonight has witnessed a gaffe before?

Dr Evil on November 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM

“Hey, I dare anyone to know which 3 Federal Departments they’d shut down by name if they were running for President.”

-Erik Erickson & the Deeply entrenched Perry supporters.

portlandon on November 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM

That wasn’t so bad. I never supported him though. LOL what was the third one? He’ll get rid of the Depts of Commerce, Education, and … now I want to know. Did he ever remember the third one he wanted to get rid of?

Paul-Cincy on November 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM