Video: Perry implodes; Update: Campaign is over, says top fundraiser

posted at 9:49 pm on November 9, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via Business Insider. A few choice quotes. Larry Sabato:

To my memory, Perry’s forgetfulness is the most devastating moment of any modern primary debate.

Rich Lowry:

That might be the most uncomfortable moment I’ve ever witnessed in presidential politics.

Mona Charen:

That was the greatest flame-out I’ve ever witnessed in a debate.

He’s down to 4.9 percent now on InTrade; before the debate he was at 9.3 percent. Remember two months ago when he was going to be the guy who saved us from Romney? Yeah.

Update: Zero Hedge has the gruesome “flash crash” during Perry’s answer as captured on InTrade.

Update: CNN, live in the spin room: “I’m sure glad I had my boots on because I sure stepped in it out there.”

Update: WaPo’s Aaron Blake tweets: “Top Perry fundraiser to me: ‘Perry campaign is over. Time for him to go home and refocus on being Gov of TX.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 8 9 10

The functioning teleprompter debating Obama or the one with no teleprompter? Obama could be made to look a fool by any inner city high school debate team member.

astonerii

He kicked McCain’s butt no problem.

Hard Right on November 10, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Hell obama cant even recall the names of his daughters.
I love these turds that walk on water.
and NO it wasnt a huge gaff.

ColdWarrior57 on November 10, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Many of you are very fickle folks. The Obama media and Moveon are taking down Republican candidates all over the country one by one by focusing on bulls#!t, nitpicking minor weaknesses and running a scorched earth demolition campaign. They said they would do it, and they are doing it. Why do you guys persist in helping them out.

It’s going to happen to Mitt and Newt and anyone else until the only thing left standing is a scorched tree trunk, unless you grow some and start pushing back for all of our candidates.

Never mind Perry’s record, never mind his excellent one on one, never mind his courage, never mind any of that crap. He needs to focus on minutiae.

I’m with Perry. But I’ll also push back for Newt and Mitt and Herman.

eaglesdontflock on November 10, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Perry is actually the best test of whether voters are prepared to ditch Obama.

Wake up, people!

Perry is the best test to see how long a GOP nominee can go without a single synapse.

hanzblinx on November 10, 2011 at 11:38 AM

In case no one else said it…
“Who am I? Why am I here?”

RalphyBoy on November 10, 2011 at 11:49 AM

LOL, at least Perry has a sense of humor. I do like him, I think he would be a good candidate. Hope he pulls it together. Right now I’m torn between Perry & Gingrich, but I still like Cain, although I don’t see him pulling out of this downward spiral he seems to be in, and I like Romney, at least the positions he takes now. Heck, Huntsman would be ok, I like his economic plan. They all look great compared to Obama.

mbs on November 10, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Was this the endgame for Cain? http://t.co/EjuNandO If no, why is it OK for Cain to totally pass on a question, but Perry flubbing part of his answer is the death of his?

kerrhome on November 10, 2011 at 12:07 PM

He kicked McCain’s butt no problem.

Hard Right on November 10, 2011 at 11:21 AM

McCain was one of Obama’s greatest fans. He sure did not want to beat the man. So, I note your statement, yes Obama was able to beat McCain in the election. I do not think McCain wanted to win and worked arduously to make sure he did not win.

astonerii on November 10, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Half of this stuff I’m just saying to convince myself – I’ve been anti-Romney for so long. But … he did impress me last night.

HondaV65 on November 10, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Just wait till the LSM goes after him in the gen election.
Romneycare = Obamacare.
It’s the easiest “pick off” available.

balkanmom on November 10, 2011 at 1:49 PM

A buddy of mine said this: “Romney has the greatest chance of losing to Obama.” I think this is right. Does anybody actually LIKE Romney? Thought not.

That said – I can’t quite find the words for how done Perry is.

Second star to the left and straight on ’till Oblivion.

Pablo Snooze on November 10, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Romneycare = Obamacare.
It’s the easiest “pick off” available.

balkanmom on November 10, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Sure it is for people who have an agenda. An agenda that causes them to cease thinking about how to defeat Obama because it isn’t their guy/gal in the lead. All that is left is to minimize him and pretend like there is no legitimate answer to the Obamacare comparison. I hope you are just as obtuse when it comes to explaining the deficiencies of your favorite candidate.

csdeven on November 10, 2011 at 4:04 PM

There is no going around debating, and his campaign team should stop pretending it doesn’t matter, because it does.

Dr Evil on November 10, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I think you’re being too hard on his debate prep team, the whole rest of the debate last night was really Perry’s best so far. Even Ed Morrissey who is overblowing the gaffe admits as much. No amount of prep in the world is going to prevent a brain-freeze which is just part of being human. Now, maybe his prep team over-prepped him which would be their fault, but everyone’s suseptible to what happened to him last night, it’s just being human.

Aslans Girl on November 10, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I’ve been asking this question around the internet since last night, and I’ll go ahead and ask here at HotAir…

How can any voter be taken seriously when, on one hand, they have genuine concerns about a president who can’t even make an outdoor speech without a teleprompter…But then these same people turn around and demand that Perry drop out of the race because he’s not polished enough in a debate?

Talismen on November 10, 2011 at 8:22 PM

balkanmom: “Romneycare = Obamacare.
It’s the easiest “pick off” available.”

No, the easiest “pick off” available would be to play clips of Rick Perry making a fool of himself. No music or comment would be needed, just “I’m Barack Obama and I approve this message” at the end of each thirty seconds.

David Blue on November 10, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Bwaaaahahahaaa, suck it Perry’s fairies, that was the ultimate example of big hat, no saddle. I was literally in tears from laughing at his lack of command of his own mind.

ray on November 10, 2011 at 10:51 PM